BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-06-13 5:41 PM
in reply to: Bull

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED
Originally posted by Bull

Yesterday afternoon i took my bike out for a ride after work. While i was riding, a dog ran out in front of me and i hit it. Long story short I crashed. After a mild verbal altercation with the dog's owner. Who rather than being concerned that i may be hurt, was pissed at me for hitting his dog, who according to him, his dog his just as much right to be on the road as i did and then turned around and went back into his house leaving me hurt and bleeding beside the road. One of his neighbors came out and asked me if i wanted her to call an ambulance. I told her no, didn't think i needed it but was going to go to the emergency room after the sheriff deputy came out and took my report. So, she called my wife to come and get me. When my wife showed up she freaked out because of all the bleeding and called the ambulance. To be honest, by this time the adrenaline was wearing off and i was beginning to feel the pain and my head was beginning to hurt Anyhow after several X-rays and a CAT scan where it showed conclusively that my dad was right all along, i really do have sh*t for brains. There were no serious injuries, only a twisted knee but no apparent damage to any tendons or cartilidge. A sore aching shoulder, ankle and wrist. Cuts, abrasions and bruises. And a kick- headache today from the concussion. The bike didn't appear to have much damage, a bent front rim, handlebar and aero bar The shifter may be damaged also. My computer/gps ruined, my wristwatch ruined and thankfully helmut ruined. I say thankfully because i estimate i was doing 28 - 30 mph when i hit the dog. I need to get the bike to the shop for a go over and estimate of the damage. Under normal circumstances, hitting a dog i would probably just chalk it up to"sh*t happens. But there's something about a guy that would tell me his dog had as much right to the road as i do, then turn around and go inside his house leaving me miles from home, hurt, bleeding. Normally, i'm not a vindictive person, but i think a guy like that needs to pay for the damages to my bike and replace my equipment and pay for the ambulance ride and what my insurance doesn't cover for the medical expenses. I'm just sick about the bike it's the new bike my wife just bought me. Luckily, i still have my old wal mart special road bike to ride until i can get my new bike repairef.

That is awful! I cannot believe that anyone would be so ugly! I am such a cautious rider because I am so afraid of what happened to you happening to me. Just a couple of months back, I had about 5 dogs come out from a residence (my neighbor in fact) two were on either side of me with three coming up behind. One reaches forward and sank his teeth into my calf. Luckily, the dog was current on vaccinations, but still... Can't the man be cited for not rendering aid? Also, his homeowner's insurance should pick up the cost of your injuries and bike repair.

2013-06-13 6:02 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: The Weekend is nearly here
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by luv2bhealthy

...The trail was completely flooded for about 1/4 mile - knee deep in fact. You couldn't run through it so you just had to walk as there was nowhere else to go.

Wow!  And they didn't cancel the race?  Seems to me that was a very hazardous situation.  Knee deep water, you can't see where you are walking - that is a recipe for a twisted ankle or much worse.  Glad you finished with everything intact and not injured.

Nah! I think everyone would have been ticked if cancelled! lol
2013-06-13 6:39 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

. . . After a mild verbal altercation with the dog's owner. Who rather than being concerned that i may be hurt, was pissed at me for hitting his dog, who according to him, his dog his just as much right to be on the road as i did . . .

First, glad you are not injured too seriously, and sorry about your bike.

I would go after this guy without hesitation.  Contrary to what he apparently believes, his dog does not have ANY right to be on the road.  There are leash laws in every state in the country as well as laws that dictate you must control your dog in a public setting.  My first call would be to an attorney, my second call would be to local law enforcement to file a formal complaint.  Certainly you should attempt to get all of your costs reimbursed.  There is a 'bigger picture' here also.  The next time this guy's dog gets loose, the results may be much worse or the A.H. owner may not stop at a 'mild verbal altercation.'  Who knows with a person like that.  If it were me, I would be on a mission to show this guy that his behavior is unacceptable and that his dog has no legal right to the street, certainly not without a leash.

2013-06-13 7:50 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Sorry to hear this Rick, I am glad you will be OK.

Just the thoughts of a fall like that makes me cringe.

Sorry to hear about the bike too because I know it was a gift and you were so happy with it.

Wishing you a quick recovery, hang in there.

James
2013-06-13 10:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

rather than being concerned that i may be hurt, was pissed at me for hitting his dog, who according to him, his dog his just as much right to be on the road as i did and then turned around and went back into his house leaving me hurt and bleeding beside the road.

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident and relieved that you weren't hurt worse. Last year I gave up on biking our local roads here in Virginia because in our county there are no leash laws and there are about 1 in 10 people who believe exactly as your "friend" did. Maybe similar in Carolina? I've been in a few of those "discussions" myself and wow they can escalate quickly - gotta stay calm - you did good! It's a real pity because we have some gorgeous places to bike, but I was so tired of having dogs come screaming after me on every ride and it seemed to be getting worse, not better, with time. Anyway, whether there are leash laws or not, if you are in an accident that was caused by someone not keeping their animals under control you absolutely have the right to file for having them cover your costs. And, you've got to think about how the next person might not be so fortunate.

Hope you heal up quickly and are back in saddle soon!

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2013-06-14 6:32 AM
2013-06-14 7:56 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Swim Question:

I am trying to get ready for my first triathlon ever and there looks like a good one near where I live on July 28th. Right now I can do 20 laps (1000 meters) but I have to stop to rest for 20 seconds after each length, I can't swim non-stop consecutive laps. Next week I was thinking on knocking the rest time to 15 seconds and the following week to 10 seconds and so on till I can swim without stopping after week 4. Does this sound like a good plan or are there other plans out there to start swimming consecutive laps without stopping that may be better?

FYI - I am a newbie swimmer and have been going to 6:00 AM masters class on Monday. Wednesday and Friday for a few months but only showing up sporadicaly due to a new job I took. I am hoping to get there more consistantly over the next few motnhs which should help also. Even when I was there I thought I was practicing the wrong way, it wasn't unitl I read Scott's blog (Thanks Scott!!!) and started keeping in mind some of things he stated that I started to feel things coming together and understanding and talking with my coaches more. They said I have improve a lot but I think I still really suck and they said I only suck a little (Ha! Ha!) compared to when I started.This was my first full week attending classes in a while and it feels really good, if you want more detail I have been posting my info in my training log.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks, James

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-06-14 9:26 AM

2013-06-14 3:20 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Yep, no leash law in Harnett County, NC. The dog convieniently disappeared and the dog's owner now denies it was his dog. Typical for rural, NC. So I guess I'm out of luck. The damage to the bike apears to be minimal, new rim and aero bar and seat. Most importantly, I'm ok. Going to be sore for a few days but I'll be ok for my next tri July 20th. I uusally carry a water pistol with a 50/50 mix ammonia and water for the dogs. This time the dog came out of nowhere right in front of me and I wouldn't have had time to get the pistol anyhow. As much as I hate to do it, from now on, whenI ride I'm going to take the bike to Wake County (Raleigh) and ride. There they have leash laws and not as many rednecks to deal with.
2013-06-14 3:39 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Originally posted by JREDFLY

Swim Question:

I am trying to get ready for my first triathlon ever and there looks like a good one near where I live on July 28th. Right now I can do 20 laps (1000 meters) but I have to stop to rest for 20 seconds after each length, I can't swim non-stop consecutive laps. Next week I was thinking on knocking the rest time to 15 seconds and the following week to 10 seconds and so on till I can swim without stopping after week 4. Does this sound like a good plan or are there other plans out there to start swimming consecutive laps without stopping that may be better?

FYI - I am a newbie swimmer and have been going to 6:00 AM masters class on Monday. Wednesday and Friday for a few months but only showing up sporadicaly due to a new job I took. I am hoping to get there more consistantly over the next few motnhs which should help also. Even when I was there I thought I was practicing the wrong way, it wasn't unitl I read Scott's blog (Thanks Scott!!!) and started keeping in mind some of things he stated that I started to feel things coming together and understanding and talking with my coaches more. They said I have improve a lot but I think I still really suck and they said I only suck a little (Ha! Ha!) compared to when I started.This was my first full week attending classes in a while and it feels really good, if you want more detail I have been posting my info in my training log.

Thanks, James

I would try to go as far as I could without a rest and then gradually make it longer. I would also do some swimming in open water. You may be out over your head (literally and figuratively) when you do the race so any confidence you can gain is important. Have you thought about a wetsuit? They make you more buoyant so you won't have to stop as often.
2013-06-14 8:12 PM

User image

Regular
Newport News

Swim Question:

Thanks, James

I assume it's the sprint at Duxbury Beach water temperature is in the low 60s and race site says that wetsuits are mandatory . Need to get some practice swimming in one. The good thing is its almost imposable to sink in one, turn on your back and you can float for days. Don't know how the tides run up there, down in Virginia beach the set up a current parallel to the shore so races are set up to swim along the shore in the direction of the current. Duxbury race looks to an out and back in a tight triangle courseDuxbury Beach, Duxbury, MA. Open water swimming in the ocean is a lot different than pool swimming, but this race is only 400 meters and you'll have the waves to bring you home. What you need to do is build your distance between resting, if you have too slow down and relax. If you can't get some open water practice in at least put the wetsuit on a do some swimming in the pool. Be sure to rinse the wetsuit after the pool swim chlorine is worst than salt water for the suit.

Good luck
2013-06-14 8:56 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Swim Question: I am trying to get ready for my first triathlon ever and there looks like a good one near where I live on July 28th. Right now I can do 20 laps (1000 meters) but I have to stop to rest for 20 seconds after each length, I can't swim non-stop consecutive laps. Next week I was thinking on knocking the rest time to 15 seconds and the following week to 10 seconds and so on till I can swim without stopping after week 4. Does this sound like a good plan or are there other plans out there to start swimming consecutive laps without stopping that may be better?

Thanks, James

Hi James,

From what you said, I gather you are swimming in a 50 meter pool?  You made the comment, "I can do 20 laps but I have to stop to rest for 20 seconds after each length."  So just curious, what happens if you DON'T stop at the end of a lap?

I suspect your problem is actually two issues.  Number one, I am fairly sure you have a swim fitness issue, and secondarily your stroke is still inefficient.  The two problems together work against each other and create a vicious circle - you tire quickly due to lack of swim fitness, as you tire, your stroke becomes even less efficient, which tires you further.  The end result is you end up stopping at the end of each lap.  You haven't been swimming that long and you have only recently started to perfect your technique.  Not trying to be snarky, but you are probably still largely 'beating the water into submission,' which is very inefficient and will tire you quickly.  Virtually EVERY beginning swimmer I have worked with over the course of 40+ years swims anaerobically until they are able to perfect their stroke mechanics.  That means you push off the wall, and within just a few strokes, your body is in oxygen debt.  That is the point when your body is screaming out to you that you MUST stop at the end of the pool and rest.

So how do you fix it?  First, you need to put in more laps.  It is going to take time to develop the muscles you use when you swim.  It will also take time to develop an aerobic base that will benefit you when you swim.  You may be able to run all day long, but as you have probably figured out by now, the rules change when you get in the water.  The aerobic fitness you may or may not have when you run or ride a bike will not directly 'transfer' into the pool.  You need to put in the laps to build that base.  Next, you need to perfect your stroke mechanics.  You read my blog, but I am going to quote a paragraph from the body roll article as it is pertinent to the discussion at hand:

Trying to Swim to Fast – Newer swimmers, especially beginners, are under the mistaken impression that ‘faster is faster.’  That is not necessarily true.  Are you trying to beat the water into submission with a short, scrappy stroke and little or no body rotation?  To develop your body roll you need to give yourself more time on each stroke to lengthen your stroke.  To accomplish this, consciously think of slowing your stroke down, rotate around the long axis of your body and reach for the far wall on entry.  The speed you gain from improved stroke efficiency will more than compensate for the reduced turnover rate.  Plus, as an added benefit, you will use far less energy to swim the same distance.

As you lengthen your stroke, you will become more efficient.  As you become more efficient, you will be able to swim longer before you reach your anaerobic threshold.  At the same time, as you log more laps, you will build your aerobic base, allowing your body to better use oxygen.  That will also delay crossing the anaerobic threshold.  The end result will be that you will be able to swim longer without tiring.  Eventually you will be able to swim aerobically and be able to go much longer distances.

If it were me, the single most important thing in my mind would be to perfect my stroke technique.  I would not swim any longer than I can maintain PERFECT technique.  I am not implying you swim two laps and go home.  What I am saying is, structure your workout to your fitness level on that day.  If you can only go 50 meters, then do 50 meter intervals.  Maybe tomorrow you do 20 x 50 @ 1:00 (or whatever time is appropriate for you).  Concentrate on PERFECT technique.  The next workout, maybe you change the interval to 20 x 50 @ 0:55, and so on.  I would also challenge myself once or twice a week.  Force yourself to swim two laps - remember you are likely trying to swim to fast, so when you try for two laps, consciously think about technique and SLOW DOWN.

After a few weeks of focusing exclusively on your stroke technique your fitness will have improved dramatically and your stroke will have become more efficient.  At that point, you can start working longer intervals into your workout and in fairly short order, be able to go the equivalent of a Sprint Triathlon swim.

Just my two cents.  Good luck!

2013-06-15 8:41 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

A few weeks of focusing exclusively on your stroke technique your fitness will have improved dramatically and your stroke will have become more efficient.  At that point, you can start working longer intervals into your workout and in fairly short order, be able to go the equivalent of a Sprint Triathlon swim.

Thanks for all the good advice Scott, it is a big help. I know I am new at this and Rome was't built in day. The advice on body roll again was timely because I was fogetting to do so when trying to concentrate keepng my hand shallower.

Sometimes it is a bit overwhelming trying to remember everything:

keep hand shallow, roll body side to side, brush hip when hand comes out of the water, keep cheek in water when breathing every third stroke on both sides, relax neck and head, remember to kick from the hip, keep toes pointed, reach for the wall, breath and see bubbles

Did I forget anything? I am a simple man (I thinkk) and trying to remember all this but I tend to let something go when concentrating on something else. Anyway the SLOW thing may help with this.

BTW to put this in perspective and how much I really suck it is only a 25M pool. Funny I am learining that there are not that many 50M pools up here in the NorthEast.

Once again thanks for the help it is greeatly appreciated.

James

2013-06-15 9:31 AM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington

Swim Question: I am trying to get ready for my first triathlon ever and there looks like a good one near where I live on July 28th. Right now I can do 20 laps (1000 meters) but I have to stop to rest for 20 seconds after each length, I can't swim non-stop consecutive laps..This was my first full week attending classes in a while and it feels really good, if you want more detail I have been posting my info in my training log.

Thanks, James

Hi James,

From what you said, I gather you are swimming in a 50 meter pool?  You made the comment, "I can do 20 laps but I have to stop to rest for 20 seconds after each length."  So just curious, what happens if you DON'T stop at the end of a lap?

I suspect your problem is actually two issues.  Number one, I am fairly sure you have a swim fitness issue, and secondarily your stroke is still inefficient.  The two problems together work against each other and create a vicious circle - you tire quickly due to lack of swim fitness, as you tire, your stroke becomes even less efficient, which tires you further.    The next workout, maybe you change the interval to 20 x 50 @ 0:55, and so on.  I would also challenge myself once or twice a week.  Force yourself to swim two laps - remember you are likely trying to swim to fast, so when you try for two laps, consciously think about technique and SLOW DOWN.

After a few weeks of focusing exclusively on your stroke technique your fitness will have improved dramatically and your stroke will have become more efficient.  At that point, you can start working longer intervals into your workout and in fairly short order, be able to go the equivalent of a Sprint Triathlon swim.

James--everything Scott said X2.

I've only been at this a few years and swimming was/is my weakest sport. The first couple of years I just focused on swim fitness because I had to build swim specific muscles and stamina. I decided to get to the pool more often, even if it meant sacrificing bike or run workouts. My rationale was the overall race improvement I could get by improving my swim times was actually much greater than what I could get, for example, by working really really hard to drop my run times by :15 seconds per mile. The upside on swim improvement was huge while the risk of losing a small amount of bike/run fitness was insignificant.

So, base fitness in the pool was the place to start for me. Like you, I started out struggling to do two laps without needed to hold the edge of the pool and pant. But, over time, I was able to get a decent level of swim conditioning...at least to the point where completing a one mile swim was not in question....not fast, but failing to finish wasn't an issue.

But even after a couple of years, the swim was still wiping me out and I wasn't gaining any speed. I started working one on one with a swim coach for 30 minutes a week. Here's what she found. First, to the points made by Scott above, I had crappy rotation. Second, I had poor stroke finish so I was getting no push from the back half of each stroke. The net result was I would work hard but not get enough distance per stroke. As Scott said, I was doing an excellent job of "beating the water into submission." So she has spent many weeks constantly working me on specific drills to correct these deficiencies to make me a more efficient swimmer and then trying to help me maintain this stroke when I speed up.

But I still fall back on the old habits when I try to faster. The other day she was having me swim repeat 4 X 25's. On the first 25 I was told to swim with a good effort but focus on distance per stroke (DPS), second 25 sprint, 3rd 25 do DPS again, final 25 sprint. What she found was my more relaxed DPS laps were the same time as my sprint laps. Speeding up my stroke to "sprint" caused my mechanics break down and all I accomplish is to fatigue myself without any gain in time. What was really eye-opening is the DPS laps felt very comfortable while the sprint laps killed me...yet both were the same speed.

The challenge is while I could improve my fitness, I don't think I could have corrected the deficiencies by myself because I don't have a swimming background. I can't watch myself swim and even if I could I wouldn't know what to look for by watching a videotape.

The best option is to plan a vacation in S. California near Scott's house and spend a couple weeks having him work with you in the pool. If that won't work, is there a way you can work one on one with a local swim coach? Maybe the swim coach at your Master's group can stay 15 minutes after the practice a couple of times a month to work with you one on one? That would be a great option. If not, there are lots of Youtube videos with drills you can practice while swimming at an relaxed pace.

Practicing some with a pull buoy float might help as well. It will give your body a little additional flotation if you're getting a sensation that you're fighting against sinking the whole time. This will allow you to really focus on stroke efficiency.

Good luck. If this stuff was easy, everyone would be a triathlete!

Steve

2013-06-15 9:35 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Sometimes it is a bit overwhelming trying to remember everything: keep hand shallow, roll body side to side, brush hip when hand comes out of the water, keep cheek in water when breathing every third stroke on both sides, relax neck and head, remember to kick from the hip, keep toes pointed, reach for the wall, breath and see bubbles

You want to get to where your stroke is automatic, meaning you don't have to think about it.  You are right, there is a lot to remember when you are starting out.  Instead of trying to remember all of it, all the time, I would use a workout to concentrate on one element and get that right, then the next workout, work on a different element.  That is not to say forget about everything else when you are focusing on a specific item.  Rather, focus on one item, but be cognizant of the other items.  The next workout, again focus on one item while staying aware of all the other elements.  When you break it down that way, you will find that after just a few workouts, it will all start coming together.

Another quick comment - you mentioned, "keep hand shallow."  Not exactly sure what you meant by that.  During the pull, the important thing about hand/arm position is that you have a high elbow.  I typically have roughly a 90 degree angle in my elbow as I pull under my body just off the center-line.  To see that position, hold your hand straight out in front of you, then bend your elbow to 90 degrees.  Now imagine you are horizontal and you have a good idea of what the depth of your pull should be.

it is only a 25M pool. Funny I am learining that there are not that many 50M pools up here in the NorthEast. Once again thanks for the help it is greeatly appreciated. James

The pool is probably a 25 yard pool.  Most 'short' pools are 25 Y and most 'long' pools are 50 M (hence the terms short course and long course).  In any case, if you are able to "swim 20 laps" that is 500 yards/meters.  The good news is that is roughly equivalent to most sprint swim distances.  I still stand by what I said in my earlier post, structure your workout to what you are reasonably able to do.  You aren't trying to set a world record, at least not today.  20 x 25 @ 'insert time here' is fine to start with.  Next workout, reduce the time by 5 seconds and so on.  Don't forget to challenge yourself periodically - force yourself to swim two laps.  Another thing to consider, you need to be in the water a minimum of 3-4 times per week . . . PERIOD!  If you aren't able to do that during this base build phase you are going to have a difficult time getting the swim fitness.  If you can dedicate yourself to 3-4 times/week for the next month, you will be amazed with the progress you make.

Edited by k9car363 2013-06-15 2:53 PM
2013-06-15 10:38 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

On the first 25 I was told to swim with a good effort but focus on distance per stroke (DPS)

a.k.a. "Stroke Efficiency"

The other day she was having me swim repeat 4 X 25's. On the first 25 I was told to swim with a good effort but focus on distance per stroke (DPS), second 25 sprint, 3rd 25 do DPS again, final 25 sprint. What she found was my more relaxed DPS laps were the same time as my sprint laps. Speeding up my stroke to "sprint" caused my mechanics break down and all I accomplish is to fatigue myself without any gain in time. What was really eye-opening is the DPS laps felt very comfortable while the sprint laps killed me...yet both were the same speed. 

In my humble opinion, this is a MAJOR issue for a vast majority of triathletes for whom swimming is not their first language and more than a few of those that did start out in a pool.  It is counter intuitive to think that 'slower is faster.'  Not only is slower going to be faster, it will also be far more efficient, meaning you can go further, at a faster pace, with less expenditure of energy.  Those are all handy if you are an endurance athlete.  Your coach proved that to you with a stopwatch.

The trick for any swimmer is to perfect their stroke technique.  Full extension to full extension is the secret to an efficient stroke.  Most swimmer's hands enter the water too close to their head and fail to go to full extension in front of them.  They then compound the error by beginning their recovery part-way down their torso instead of at full extension by their hip.  Those two errors in combination result in what, a 50% reduction in stroke length?  That equates to a 50% reduction in propulsion and efficiency per stroke.

If a swimmer wants to make a dramatic improvement in their swim they should remember these two simple things:

a) Roll into the stroke at entry and reach for the far wall.  That will promote full extension at the beginning of the stroke and facilitate proper body roll.

b) Brush your hip with your thumb as you begin the recovery.  Think of 'dragging your hip out of the way with your thumb.'  This will force full extension at the end of the stroke and it will facilitate proper body roll.

The best option is to plan a vacation in S. California near Scott's house and spend a couple weeks having him work with you in the pool.

James, if business brings you this way, I will be happy to work with you.  When we get done in the pool we can head down to the beach and get in an OWS to help get you ready for that adventure.  Everything changes when you get into a natural body of water.  That however, is a discussion for another day.

2013-06-15 2:43 PM

User image

Regular

In my humble opinion, this is a MAJOR issue for a vast majority of triathletes for whom swimming is not their first language and more than a few of those that did start out in a pool.  It is counter intuitive to think that 'slower is faster.'  Not only is slower going to be faster, it will also be far more efficient, meaning you can go further, at a faster pace, with less expenditure of energy.  Those are all handy if you are an endurance athlete.  Your coach proved that to you with a stopwatch.

Amen to that. Can't speak for others, but as a runner I was focused on turnover. Increase the foot strikes per minute and voila, you're running faster. I tried to carry that thinking into swimming and stroke rate. It's a good way to be a crappy swimmer!

Steve
2013-06-15 3:18 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Thanks, James

I assume it's the sprint at Duxbury Beach water temperature is in the low 60s and race site says that wetsuits are mandatory . Need to get some practice swimming in one. The good thing is its almost imposable to sink in one, turn on your back and you can float for days. Don't know how the tides run up there, down in Virginia beach the set up a current parallel to the shore so races are set up to swim along the shore in the direction of the current. Duxbury race looks to an out and back in a tight triangle courseDuxbury Beach, Duxbury, MA. Open water swimming in the ocean is a lot different than pool swimming, but this race is only 400 meters and you'll have the waves to bring you home. What you need to do is build your distance between resting, if you have too slow down and relax. If you can't get some open water practice in at least put the wetsuit on a do some swimming in the pool. Be sure to rinse the wetsuit after the pool swim chlorine is worst than salt water for the suit.

Good luck

Thanks TSVI! Going to try and start the OWS next week. I am really lucky to have a nice ocean beach only a 10 minute drive from my house. Water is still a bit cold up here in the 50"s but I guess that will help me get used to swimming in a wet suit. Thanks for taking a look at the race in Duxbury for me, luckily it doesn't get too rough in there. Thanks again James

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-06-15 3:20 PM

2013-06-15 3:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Yep, no leash law in Harnett County, NC. The dog convieniently disappeared and the dog's owner now denies it was his dog. Typical for rural, NC. So I guess I'm out of luck. The damage to the bike apears to be minimal, new rim and aero bar and seat. Most importantly, I'm ok. Going to be sore for a few days but I'll be ok for my next tri July 20th. I uusally carry a water pistol with a 50/50 mix ammonia and water for the dogs. This time the dog came out of nowhere right in front of me and I wouldn't have had time to get the pistol anyhow. As much as I hate to do it, from now on, whenI ride I'm going to take the bike to Wake County (Raleigh) and ride. There they have leash laws and not as many rednecks to deal with.

Yes, I know how that is with pulling something out fast enough to deal with an oncoming dog. I got bit on the calf about two months ago by a dog. Luckily it sunk it's teeth in and released without tearing, but it has left a nasty scar. Well, I call it my "frog face" because that is what it looks like - a smiling frog. It's too bad that the guy is so dishonest...

How are you feeling? Hope you are healing well.

Did a 5k Color Up run this morning. It was very hot, humid, and hilly! And the last race until September. I will now concentrate on training over the next couple of months and gear up for one final tri for the year and at least one more half and some other distance runs.

Oh, and as I knew it would, my weight dropped significantly. From 148 after half marathon down to 144 yesterday morning.
2013-06-15 4:41 PM

User image

Regular
Bull ...My past experience with people being ridiculously lacking in empathy and common sense leaves me unable to rationally respond to your situation.

I have a "bad pair of dogs" smack in the middle of a gorgeous 20 mile route. I talked to everyone who would listen about that. The people living there have pickups....girl type cars there on the weekend..and an old sign nailed up on a tree that says "we don't call 911".

I am sure they are renters with no insurance. its a single wide trailer.

I call myself "dog trainer/ biker."

I bought mace the day I bought my bike. I wish it was pepper spray ..thats prolly more humane. I slow down to snail speed at their property line and look for the dogs. I haven't had a chance to "train " them yet...just a matter of time. People I talked to say the dogs wont bite. they just chase extremely loudly.

Training is needed . Sorry and hope u heal quickly.

Thx for the track w/o. I have a 750m swim / three mile run in a couple days "splash n dash". I suck at short distance so I done a few track workouts. My back hurts after I have a speed work out of any type. I thought I might just incorporate some faster running into all my runs and look forward to being able to do more speed w/o's in the near future.

The older I get an the more I practice i am getting really good at the LSD stuff. LOL

weight still 127.

2013-06-15 5:02 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

Regular
Awesome swim advice guys. For longest time i felt like an idiot because I couldnt do what the coaches wanted. I was just too tired from trying to swim too fast and finish the w/o everyone else was doing. I quit doing the w/o's and started to "roll my own".
About two weeks ago I started working on the "full stroke".
I think "big arms" like they tell the kids. I started OWS last week. If its windy "watch out" .....I felt like a meerkat trying to sight. Really tiring . I swam the lake this morning for the third time and no wind or boats made it significantly easier. Its only about 15 min. to swim to end of bouys but it beats the pool any day.

I am still slower than tar....but one day here pretty soon..its going to come together.

Linda
2013-06-15 5:57 PM

User image

New user

Sorry to hear about the dog accident, hope you are feeling better. Aren't helmets great?

2013-06-15 9:05 PM
in reply to: Kay Ewing

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I have kind of a silly question.  I unfortunately recently discovered that there is a crack in my bike frame.  It is right where the seat post goes in to the seat tube.  Trek is going to be wonderful and they are going to repair the crack, reinforce the area where the crack developed, repaint the frame, etc. so that isn't a concern.  What is a concern is that I will be without the bike for a few weeks.  Of course, I just lent my Trek 1.2 to my brother who is roughly the same size as me and has decided he wants to try and improve his fitness.  My concern is now I only have an old mountain bike that is a bit too small and I think weighs as much as I do.

My question - assuming the fit is not so poor as to cause an injury, isn't putting miles in on the mountain bike better than not riding at all for a few weeks?  I know the bike geometry is different, yada, yada, yada.  It just seems to me that any miles is better than no miles.

Am I way off base here?

2013-06-16 10:37 AM

User image

Regular

I have kind of a silly question.  I unfortunately recently discovered that there is a crack in my bike frame.  It is right where the seat post goes in to the seat tube.  Trek is going to be wonderful and they are going to repair the crack, reinforce the area where the crack developed, repaint the frame, etc. so that isn't a concern.  What is a concern is that I will be without the bike for a few weeks.  Of course, I just lent my Trek 1.2 to my brother who is roughly the same size as me and has decided he wants to try and improve his fitness.  My concern is now I only have an old mountain bike that is a bit too small and I think weighs as much as I do.

My question - assuming the fit is not so poor as to cause an injury, isn't putting miles in on the mountain bike better than not riding at all for a few weeks?  I know the bike geometry is different, yada, yada, yada.  It just seems to me that any miles is better than no miles.

Am I way off base here?

Hey Scott--I know the feeling. I just got my Felt roadbike back after it was sent to the factory for warranty frame repair. I was without my bike for five weeks. Fortunately, I had my TT bike as a back up so I could ride it instead, but what started as a "two-three weeks" turned into 40 days.

Do you have access to a health club? You can get a really good workout on an indoor bike at a gym. A lot of health clubs have nice spin bikes. It just takes setting up a plan that includes a defined warm up with some specific intervals and HR goals. It's not ideal, but for a few weeks, I would think this would be far superior to clunking around on an ill-fitting mountain bike where you really can't get a good spin going.

I travel a fair amount for work which forces me to use the exercise bikes in hotels. It's not the best, but I can still get a solid cycling workout in as long as I'm focused and have a very specific plan for the session.

Who knows, you might even be able to find a club that will offer a one month trial at a deeply discounted rate? You can then drop it when you get your bike back....or you might like it and stick around.

Steve
2013-06-16 11:16 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

...but what started as a "two-three weeks" turned into 40 days.

Yeah, that's not what I wanted to hear!

Do you have access to a health club? You can get a really good workout on an indoor bike at a gym. A lot of health clubs have nice spin bikes. It just takes setting up a plan that includes a defined warm up with some specific intervals and HR goals. It's not ideal, but for a few weeks, I would think this would be far superior to clunking around on an ill-fitting mountain bike where you really can't get a good spin going.

Yes, I am a member of LA Fitness.  Primarily because they have a fairly nice 25 yard pool that is virtually identical at every facility and like you, I travel a fair amount.  When we were back in Indiana, I would put one of my Sufferfest videos on and ride on the trainer simply because the winter weather often prevented riding outside.  As much as I like my Sufferfest training videos, I really dislike riding indoors.  I suppose I can lug my iPad along, man-up and ride at the gym.

Been thinking about a TT bike, if this is going to drag in to 6 weeks, maybe it is time to pull the trigger on that little expenditure.

Thanks for the advice Steve.

2013-06-16 2:05 PM

User image

Regular

• Yes, I am a member of LA Fitness.  Primarily because they have a fairly nice 25 yard pool that is virtually identical at every facility and like you, I travel a fair amount.  When we were back in Indiana, I would put one of my Sufferfest videos on and ride on the trainer simply because the winter weather often prevented riding outside.  As much as I like my Sufferfest training videos, I really dislike riding indoors.  I suppose I can lug my iPad along, man-up and ride at the gym.

Been thinking about a TT bike, if this is going to drag in to 6 weeks, maybe it is time to pull the trigger on that little expenditure.

Thanks for the advice Steve.

Yeah, I agree about riding indoors. Not the same as have the world wiz by outside. But, I've found if I'm dialed in on specific workouts, intervals, HR, etc. the time seems to fly by. A typical workout for me would be a 20 minute warm up with 5 X 6 minute hard intervals with a 4 minute full recovery after each. Getting the effort level right so the pace can be maintained through the full six minutes is key. By the time 6 minutes ends your HR is at a strong race pace level.

For me, have a workout like this makes the indoor trainer so much less monotonous.

You might watch Ebay for a TT bike. I've bought two TT bikes off Ebay, brand new in the box, at a discount of about 50% of MSRP. The one I sold this spring I got nearly what I paid for it after riding it for two years. If you know what you want in terms of mfg, model and size there are some killer deals out there.

Steve
    2013-06-16 4:22 PM

User image

New user
    Hingham, MA
    Subject: Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there
    Happy Father's Day!

Weighing in at 179 down a pound. I wanted more because I have been really hardcore dieting but at least I am going in the right direction.

Ran 3 miles today with my youngest boy who is 10 years old (yes, I got a late start, took a long time to find the right one). My goal this year is beat him in a 5k, he did his last one in 24 minutes and if I don't beat him soon it ain't going to happen.

Note to self: If you have a friend who on Friday just ran a 50 mile trail run (really muddy a lot of rain up here) in the dark (from 7:00 PM to 5:00 AM) and he asks you the following day to go on a light bike ride don't go. 28 miles of hills, my legs are killing me.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

James

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-06-16 8:18 PM
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37