Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-07-08 9:30 AM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
Welcome back Sarah.

I just got back from a 10 day vacation. Too busy to really do anything besides a couple of small walks. Probably would have died trying to breathe anyways. 7000 feet against my usual sea level is quite a difference.

I'm feeling a lot better. Back is mostly back in order, besides a pinched nerve or pulled muscle in my left shoulder.

Will try to take advantage of the extra oxygen in my blood to see if I can top any of my personal bests this week.

2013-07-08 9:35 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Sarah73

I'm so glad to see the group is still going. Sorry about being the WORST MENTOR EVER!! I would like to rejoin the group, if y'all don't mind...not as a mentor...just a fellow triathlete! How is everyone's training going? Any big races coming up? If you want I can get a calendar going of upcoming races, if it hasn't already been done. Let me know, and post your upcoming races if you want.

Sarah Glad to have you back ,just stay!!!! atleast for myself i am interested how s your Full Iron Training Going!!!
2013-07-08 9:58 AM

User image

Sarah: I'm new in the group. It's always nice to have more voices and views. Welcome back!

All: I know a lot of training is mindset. Mind over body. For me, it's retraining my mind with "endurance talk." I've got plenty of motivation in general, but those tough spots require some good one-liners. I've got, "I can do anything for ___ minutes." I've also got, "If my [loved one] can live their life dealing with [chronic illness], I can get through this very brief moment." It all helps, but I'm always in the market for new ones. Anyone have their favorites?

I did just run across this random quote. Wondering if people subscribe to this, or whether it does, in fact, help to compete with peers in order to "up" your game: "No one can make me work harder than I do, so I'm generally not interested in who I am competing with."

Gary

2013-07-08 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by Sarah73 I'm so glad to see the group is still going. Sorry about being the WORST MENTOR EVER!! I would like to rejoin the group, if y'all don't mind...not as a mentor...just a fellow triathlete! How is everyone's training going? Any big races coming up? If you want I can get a calendar going of upcoming races, if it hasn't already been done. Let me know, and post your upcoming races if you want.
Welcome back, Sarah!  Hope all is well.  A race calendar would be awesome.  My only upcoming race is still the HIM on 8/11, the Folsom Long Course.  George's HIM is coming up in a couple weeks, I think.  Not sure what other races are pending in the near future.
2013-07-08 11:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by PsyTri Sarah: I'm new in the group. It's always nice to have more voices and views. Welcome back! All: I know a lot of training is mindset. Mind over body. For me, it's retraining my mind with "endurance talk." I've got plenty of motivation in general, but those tough spots require some good one-liners. I've got, "I can do anything for ___ minutes." I've also got, "If my [loved one] can live their life dealing with [chronic illness], I can get through this very brief moment." It all helps, but I'm always in the market for new ones. Anyone have their favorites? I did just run across this random quote. Wondering if people subscribe to this, or whether it does, in fact, help to compete with peers in order to "up" your game: "No one can make me work harder than I do, so I'm generally not interested in who I am competing with." Gary
You might be interested in this thread started by Sarah about a year ago.

Edited by Fresno_Joe 2013-07-08 11:18 AM
2013-07-08 1:22 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Thanks everyone! I'm glad you found that link, Joe. I was thinking about that, but didn't have the time (or energy) to look for it! And thanks for doing the stats...my numbers are pretty lousy. I signed up for IM Cozumel in December, so I'm starting my structured plan now, but it's hard with the kids out of school for the summer. I'm just trying not to lose too much fitness between now and mid-August when they return to school. I will get to the calendar when everyone posts their upcoming races. Glad to be back!!

2013-07-08 3:31 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

All: I know a lot of training is mindset. Mind over body. For me, it's retraining my mind with "endurance talk." I've got plenty of motivation in general, but those tough spots require some good one-liners. I've got, "I can do anything for ___ minutes." I've also got, "If my [loved one] can live their life dealing with [chronic illness], I can get through this very brief moment." It all helps, but I'm always in the market for new ones. Anyone have their favorites?

When training, I usually think about the race. Like, if it's really hot or windy or both, I think, "It could be like this race day. Better to get used to it now." And then on the race day I keep reminding myself of all the training I've done. "I've trained, I'm ready, I'm strong." And I also spend time trying to calculate pace and finishing times, though I usually do it wrong, but it gives my mind something to do.

2013-07-08 3:32 PM

User image

Terrific compilation of mantras.

A good mix of philosophy, distraction, bargaining, tough love, comedy, social comparison, and zen emptiness! Everyone is different. I like it. Whatever works, it seems.

Thanks again.

Gary
2013-07-08 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

You might be interested in this thread started by Sarah about a year ago.

Great thread!

2013-07-08 6:08 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Master
St. Louis
Not really a mantra, but it is a funny story :-). So a few years ago I was working in the garage and a neighbor kid was riding a little pedal tractor up the side walk talking to himself. All I remember hearing now is him saying "c'mon mister rabbit, it's just you and me and you push". Cracked me up and I said it to myself at the end of some long runs when I wanted to quit. :-)
2013-07-08 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

So here is the 40 mile training ride I've done 3 times in the last 8 days (the first of which was when I got the stomach bug and was out of commission for a couple days, but the other two went much better): ?www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/242164951

And here is the 56 mile route for my race on 8/11: www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/197545650

The training ride has a few hundred feet more climb in a more concentrated distance (most of the climb comes during the first 20 miles of the training ride, most of the climb comes during the first 25 miles of the race).  And the training ride has two cat 5's and one cat 4, whereas the race just has one cat 5.  So I feel good about the climbing.  At this point it is just making sure I feel good about the mileage itself.  Hoping to go for a 60 mile ride this weekend.  At least a 50, but hopefully a 60. And then I've already got a couple buddies doing the actual race route with me in a couple weekends.  Which will give me one last week of build before a 2 week taper. 

I wasn't able to get my long run in this last Saturday, which completely threw off my schedule.  If it cools down early enough (it won't) I'm going to try to do it tonight, otherwise it will have to be tomorrow.  Which puts my long run day at Tuesday instead of Saturday, and then I'm probably going to just keep that altered schedule going through the first two days of what was going to be my two week taper.  I don't want to essentially skip a week by missing a long run, and I also don't want to try and condense the next three weeks of running to get back to my long run being on Saturday.  Seems like it would be asking for injury.  Going to be an interesting month.

2013-07-09 9:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

So here is the 40 mile training ride I've done 3 times in the last 8 days (the first of which was when I got the stomach bug and was out of commission for a couple days, but the other two went much better): ?www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/242164951

And here is the 56 mile route for my race on 8/11: www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/197545650

The training ride has a few hundred feet more climb in a more concentrated distance (most of the climb comes during the first 20 miles of the training ride, most of the climb comes during the first 25 miles of the race).  And the training ride has two cat 5's and one cat 4, whereas the race just has one cat 5.  So I feel good about the climbing.  At this point it is just making sure I feel good about the mileage itself.  Hoping to go for a 60 mile ride this weekend.  At least a 50, but hopefully a 60. And then I've already got a couple buddies doing the actual race route with me in a couple weekends.  Which will give me one last week of build before a 2 week taper. 

I wasn't able to get my long run in this last Saturday, which completely threw off my schedule.  If it cools down early enough (it won't) I'm going to try to do it tonight, otherwise it will have to be tomorrow.  Which puts my long run day at Tuesday instead of Saturday, and then I'm probably going to just keep that altered schedule going through the first two days of what was going to be my two week taper.  I don't want to essentially skip a week by missing a long run, and I also don't want to try and condense the next three weeks of running to get back to my long run being on Saturday.  Seems like it would be asking for injury.  Going to be an interesting month.

Looks like your training is going well and you have a good plan for the last month!! Nice job!
2013-07-09 12:57 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Joe

Bro your doing great!!! I was looking into Folsom,HIM your +3 mph over min. preferred speed gives you bonus time for the run plus your bonus time from the swim ,like you need it being running is your strongest. One thing I noticed on the bike course their RS are 20+ mile intervals thats 1-1.5 Hrs. riding before resting, just make sure you got enough bottles for atleast 1:15:00 use the extra water to cool your body. Goodluck bro your right on track dont forget to taper give it atleast two weeks before the event.

Im Excited for you and George.

2013-07-09 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Thanks for the encouragement guys! Went for an 11 mile jog today. So hot. 103 by the time I finished. Last 1.5 miles or so were jog a few blocks walk a few. I haven't walked during a jog in a long time, it was tough. By mile 9 I was already at lactate threshold. Wanted to go 12 but had enough.How's training going for everyone else?
2013-07-09 10:26 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by ransick

Not really a mantra, but it is a funny story :-). So a few years ago I was working in the garage and a neighbor kid was riding a little pedal tractor up the side walk talking to himself. All I remember hearing now is him saying "c'mon mister rabbit, it's just you and me and you push". Cracked me up and I said it to myself at the end of some long runs when I wanted to quit. :-)

I love that one. It's priceless and spot on.

Many decades ago I was watching an episode of MASH and Colonel Potter said, "The only person I need to be better than is the one I already am." It's not as good as mister rabbit but it helped me through a lot varied tribulations.
2013-07-09 11:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Joe - Your training route looks like a pretty nice route. More climbing than your actual event route is a bonus as well. The three climbs on the training route don't appear to be quite as hard as the one on your event route so you should definitely try the route out - familiarity of the route is valuable for sure.

I really like the look of your event route. Once you crest that hill it looks like it will be a fast ride to the finish.

I've been following the HIM training plan in Gale Bernhardt's book "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes" and in the last two weeks she still has me working out (although slowing down). I think 8hrs this week and next week (Race week) I've got 3:45 of easy workouts. It definitely feels strange slowing down.

I've actually started collecting my things in prep to driving to Lake Stevens next Tuesday. I'm looking forward to the trip.

Miche - What was the name of your event again? I'd like to look up your bike route as well - just out of curiosity. Are you following a training plan or coaching? And, how is it going?

Miche and Joe - a very small tip I learned recently was to buy a couple mini mouth wash bottles from Walmart (or anywhere cheap) and pack them in your transition bags. The lady who told me said she really appreciated the rinse after the swim and bike - just a quick refresher.

2013-07-10 12:40 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by wenceslasz Joe - Your training route looks like a pretty nice route. More climbing than your actual event route is a bonus as well. The three climbs on the training route don't appear to be quite as hard as the one on your event route?
I think the elevation map is misleading; the "climb details" section says that the cat 4 of the training ride is 2.4 miles long with an average grade of 3.8%, but the toughest climb of the event is 1.6 miles long with an average grade of 2.8%.  But yeah, doing the route in a couple weekends will be a valuable experience, I'm looking forward to it.  I've got some coworkers up in Sacramento doing it with me and they are much more experienced cyclists, so it should be interesting.

I'm jealous about Lake Stevens, that is such a beatiful venue for a tri.  Your training looks good for a couple taper weeks.  I'll be starting my taper in three weeks, two weeks before my race.  I'm excited for you!

Interesting tip about the mouth wash.  I try to minimize my stuff in the transition area, but that's not a bad idea, I may bring something like that along.

2013-07-10 1:17 PM

New user
Sorry I've been MIA... life has been crazy and I've been trying to train rather than spend time on forums (work life especially has been crazy, capital markets is not conducive to training plans...).

I'm in big trouble for Lake Placid, but I'm going to make a valiant effort. I've now done the swim distance in the pool. Having some fit issues with my wetsuit, but I think I'm getting those sorted out. Swimming in a wetsuit for the first time felt really really weird.

Finally have gotten my bike off the trainer and been outside, it feels good to get outside, but it is harder to get workouts in. Haven't done any long rides off the trainer, but I have a 100km ride scheduled for Saturday with my uncle (who is an experienced cyclist), so hopefully that goes well. Got a nice brick workout in last night and hoping to do another one tonight (I'm throwing my training plan out the window at this point, get in as much as I can based on feel for the next 2 weeks and then start tapering).

Been working on running/walking a bit, but quite frankly I think it will be a miracle if I get to the run at Lake Placid, so I'm not really worried about it.

Looks like you all have been busy and have had some highs and lows. I'll try and keep everyone up to date as I come down the homestretch! One way or another July 28th is going to be a day I'm not likely to forget anytime soon.
2013-07-10 1:24 PM
in reply to: kent2233

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by kent2233 Sorry I've been MIA... life has been crazy and I've been trying to train rather than spend time on forums (work life especially has been crazy, capital markets is not conducive to training plans...). I'm in big trouble for Lake Placid, but I'm going to make a valiant effort. I've now done the swim distance in the pool. Having some fit issues with my wetsuit, but I think I'm getting those sorted out. Swimming in a wetsuit for the first time felt really really weird. Finally have gotten my bike off the trainer and been outside, it feels good to get outside, but it is harder to get workouts in. Haven't done any long rides off the trainer, but I have a 100km ride scheduled for Saturday with my uncle (who is an experienced cyclist), so hopefully that goes well. Got a nice brick workout in last night and hoping to do another one tonight (I'm throwing my training plan out the window at this point, get in as much as I can based on feel for the next 2 weeks and then start tapering). Been working on running/walking a bit, but quite frankly I think it will be a miracle if I get to the run at Lake Placid, so I'm not really worried about it. Looks like you all have been busy and have had some highs and lows. I'll try and keep everyone up to date as I come down the homestretch! One way or another July 28th is going to be a day I'm not likely to forget anytime soon.
Sorry your training has been going according to plan.  I'm very interested to hear about your race day.  Not to be negative, but there's a reason jumping straight to IM distance is not necessarily the conventional route.  Try to stay positive though, if you go into it thinking you're not even going to make it through the cycling leg then you are almost certain to allow yourself to give up at some point.  Have you worked out a nutrition plan?
2013-07-10 3:00 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Miche - What was the name of your event again? I'd like to look up your bike route as well - just out of curiosity. Are you following a training plan or coaching? And, how is it going?

I am following the BT silver HIM plan, although it's pretty high volume and I never make it. But I'm consistently at 9 hrs/week now more or less. I also have a BT coach, who has been helping me with nutrition, hydration, and strategy.

My event is Patriot's Half in Williamsburg - not til September. I chose this event because it was close to home, no wetsuit needed, and FLAT FLAT FLAT. I have plotted the bike course. I've actually ridden some of it. It's pretty nice.

Training is going pretty well. Although this week I'm tapering for an Oly on Sunday. So I'm feeling pretty good. I do look forward to a future in which I don't do two workouts in one day several times a week, however.

I am excited to see you guys (George and Joe) do your first HIMs! before mine.

Rebecca

2013-07-10 3:12 PM
in reply to: 0

New user

Originally posted by kent2233 Sorry I've been MIA... life has been crazy and I've been trying to train rather than spend time on forums (work life especially has been crazy, capital markets is not conducive to training plans...). I'm in big trouble for Lake Placid, but I'm going to make a valiant effort. I've now done the swim distance in the pool. Having some fit issues with my wetsuit, but I think I'm getting those sorted out. Swimming in a wetsuit for the first time felt really really weird. Finally have gotten my bike off the trainer and been outside, it feels good to get outside, but it is harder to get workouts in. Haven't done any long rides off the trainer, but I have a 100km ride scheduled for Saturday with my uncle (who is an experienced cyclist), so hopefully that goes well. Got a nice brick workout in last night and hoping to do another one tonight (I'm throwing my training plan out the window at this point, get in as much as I can based on feel for the next 2 weeks and then start tapering). Been working on running/walking a bit, but quite frankly I think it will be a miracle if I get to the run at Lake Placid, so I'm not really worried about it. Looks like you all have been busy and have had some highs and lows. I'll try and keep everyone up to date as I come down the homestretch! One way or another July 28th is going to be a day I'm not likely to forget anytime soon.
Sorry your training has been going according to plan.  I'm very interested to hear about your race day.  Not to be negative, but there's a reason jumping straight to IM distance is not necessarily the conventional route.  Try to stay positive though, if you go into it thinking you're not even going to make it through the cycling leg then you are almost certain to allow yourself to give up at some point.  Have you worked out a nutrition plan?

Thanks for the blunt feedback, I went into it knowing it was going to be tough and that I wasn't doing the conventional ramp up. Unfortunately life got much busier than I had been anticipating.

If I'm going down, I'm going down fighting right till the end. I will NOT be giving up, if I don't finish, it is going to be because I missed a time cut off.

For nutrition, on the bike I do a bottle of perform (been using gatoraid/powerade in training) per hour and then water depending on how hot it is, but generally about a bottle an hour plus a cliff bar every 2 hours. I am going to try and get some bonk breakers and try them this weekend, because I would prefer to get food from the course rather than carrying it.

Is doing one additional long bike the week before beneficial or would that be cutting it too close?

EDIT: on the run will be going with water and perform (might be tougher to regulate, because my understanding is you get it in cups rather than bottle on the run) and then cola on the second half.

Edited by kent2233 2013-07-10 3:15 PM

2013-07-10 4:08 PM
in reply to: kent2233

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by kent2233 For nutrition, on the bike I do a bottle of perform (been using gatoraid/powerade in training) per hour and then water depending on how hot it is, but generally about a bottle an hour plus a cliff bar every 2 hours. I am going to try and get some bonk breakers and try them this weekend, because I would prefer to get food from the course rather than carrying it. Is doing one additional long bike the week before beneficial or would that be cutting it too close? EDIT: on the run will be going with water and perform (might be tougher to regulate, because my understanding is you get it in cups rather than bottle on the run) and then cola on the second half.
Do you take any gels or anything like that on the bike?  One bar every two hours doesn't really seem like enough calories.  Have you tested that out on a long ride/short run brick?  During the race you may find that bars are hard to chew/eat/digest, so you really should have a backup plan for how to get in some different calories.  Test out some different gels or whatever during your rides this week if you can.

If I were you I would not plan on an extra long ride the week before.  I would think you've got through this weekend to do build, long rides/runs/whatever, and then two weeks to taper.  With two weeks to go you've got to rely on the training you've done to that point, you're not going to make any significant advances in your fitness or strength in that short time, but you will tire out your muscles.  So taper, what working out you do, do at an all easy effort.  I'm sure the plan you are following has taper instructions.  Err on the side of not overdoing it.  And focus on making sure you have everything you need, and plan everything out.  The last thing you need is distractions on race weekend.

2013-07-10 5:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
So I swam this morning and was going to bike at lunch today and when I got outside all motivation left me because I'm so sick of working out in triple digits.  So I said ef it and I just had a relaxing lunch.  And a small piece of cake that someone in my office baked because lay off me I like cake. Innocent
2013-07-10 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Here are the July stats so far as of this afternoon:

SwimBikeRunTotal Time 
TRIal_of_miles12050190.9--19:00:40 
strykergt5056 60.64 46.9218:44:37 
miche033 710062.9615.6511:27:31 
Fresno_Joe390080.1125.75 11:01:16 
SuperClydesdale 2581.06 81.73 17.329:58:26 
wenceslasz 6452.32 85.63 10.84 9:55:17 
iLOVEwaffles2720.30 99.00 25.00 8:10:30 
ransick----41.60 7:01:06 
oriolepwr -- 20.0027.856:28:40 
mbehr19836668.7243.956.315:36:49 
knighton3354.0937.7611.915:14:03 
PsyTri415027.65.684:23:03 
DaDooRunRun--29.116.243:58:26 
Sarah731800--16.303:08:14 
Ybeal260017.51--2:11:43 
lesandtj--26.74--1:56:39 

I did not include those who had no logging for this month yet.

TRIal_of_miles and strykergt you guys are insane.

2013-07-10 7:59 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Rebecca-- might see you at this weekend event. I am doing the sprint version on Sat of your OLY event in VA. Training has been going well, but this being my first open water swim has me a little nervous. I will let you know my thoughts of the pieces of the course I am doing.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41