BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-06-18 3:36 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: Minor Epiphany
Minor epiphany at the pool this morining. Being a beginner swimmer I have been doing Scotts lesser lengths - better form method and I think it is paying off.

THANKS SCOTT!!!

With a Mini Sprint (only .25 mile swim, 12 mile bike and 5k run) next weekend on the 29th in Cohasett Massachusetts I thought I better start adding some lengths. The plan this week was to get up to 10 lengths without stopping and next week get it up to 20 lenghts in a 25 meter pool. Well today I did the 10 lengths and felt so good I did another addtional 20 without stopping and felt great afterwoods.

I am sure my form was not perfect (yet) but thanks to Scott's training tips I think I am making progress.

I told my coach of my accomplishment and then I said I must have looked like crap and he said I actually looked very calm and smooth.

Now I just have to get used to the 52 degrees water in Boston.

Going to try and get the wetsuit on and get some open water swims in this weekend.

BTW - Steve, you are in my thoughts - hope you are feeling better!!!

2014-06-18 6:06 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Minor Epiphany
Originally posted by JREDFLY

Going to try and get the wetsuit on and get some open water swims in this weekend.

Hey James:

52 is pretty dog gone cold. Do you have a neoprene cap to wear under the race issue swim cap? I've got a DeSoto but I know several companies make these caps. They essentially have a chin strap to hold them in place and are a pretty good insulating layer . I'm guessing Scott would correctly label me a big wussy, but I find the cold water really nasty if I can't get out and get in practice swims to adjust to the temp.

Good luck.
2014-06-18 6:49 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Regular
Newport News
Subject: RE: Race report Empire State Senior Games
Many States don't offer a qualifying triathlon. You can enter under rule D-QUALIFICATION FOR “LIMITED” EVENTS for triathlon you will need to have finished two sprint races between January 1 and December 31, 2014. See Nation Senior Games Rules http://www.nsga.com/media/documents/rules/2015-nsga-games-rule-book...
2014-06-18 7:13 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by lutzman

Hey James:

52 is pretty dog gone cold. Do you have a neoprene cap to wear under the race issue swim cap? I've got a DeSoto but I know several companies make these caps. They essentially have a chin strap to hold them in place and are a pretty good insulating layer . I'm guessing Scott would correctly label me a big wussy, but I find the cold water really nasty if I can't get out and get in practice swims to adjust to the temp.

Good luck.

Thanks Steve, I'll try and pick one up tomorrow.

JP
2014-06-18 8:02 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

Hey James:

Good luck.

Not a wussy at all. There is a nerve from your brain, the vagus nerve, which is part of the parasympathetic nervous system controlling the heart & other organs. Megan Gurley at TriswimBuddies.com explains it thus:

"Every swimmer (myself included) has that ‘take your breath away’ feeling when our heads are submerged in cold water. Anatomically, your vagus nerve is telling your heart to slow down to protect your body from the cold. Simultaneously, your lungs are trying to get in more oxygen. Now, add adrenaline. The vagus nerve is trying to calm you down, adrenaline is having none of that, your lungs are asking for more air, there are tons of people around … suddenly you feel you are going to drown. Sound familiar? "

When I first learned about this I immediately got a neoprene cap. It also helps to warm up or at least submerge your face in the cold water before the start to acclimate yourself.

Deb

2014-06-18 8:18 PM

User image

Subject: When to join masters?
My friend and co-worker talked me into joining him at a Masters swim workout this morning in Atlanta. I had never done one before, had never been on a swim team of any sort, so this was a new experience for me. It was also a 50m pool, which I had never experienced before. I choose the slow lane, kept up with the group (I was actually a little faster, which gave me a bit of a rest on each lap), and completed all of the workouts (our lane did only free-style). My total distance for the day was 2200m whereas my longest previous workout was 1500 yrds. It was a lot of fun, but I'm really sore right now and my technique got a little sloppy for the last 300-400m. I found swimming with the group VERY MOTIVATING, and much more fun than my solo workouts.

I want to join our local Masters group in Kirkland WA near where I live, but I don't want to join until I'm ready. We just had a discussion yesterday about not practicing bad technique and in today's workout I clearly tired to the point I had bad technique on the last 300-400m. Should I:

1. Join now and power through? I suspect this isn't the best choice, but my friend seems to think I should.

2. Wait until the end of the triathlon season (mid-September)? By then I will (hopefully) be up to 2000 yrds per workout, and I will (hopefully) be doing reasonable breast-stroke, back-stroke and flip turns. I suspect butterfly will take a little longer.

3. Wait longer? If so, when?

4. Don't join masters because ___?

What do you think?

Thanks!
Scott I.

2014-06-19 9:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: When to join masters?
Originally posted by EchoLkScott

It was a lot of fun, but I'm really sore right now and my technique got a little sloppy for the last 300-400m. I found swimming with the group VERY MOTIVATING, and much more fun than my solo workouts.

I want to join our local Masters group in Kirkland WA near where I live, but I don't want to join until I'm ready. We just had a discussion yesterday about not practicing bad technique and in today's workout I clearly tired to the point I had bad technique on the last 300-400m. Should I:

What do you think?

Thanks!
Scott I.

Hi Scott:

Unfortunately, I have zero experience with Masters swimming, so I can't give you any advice. I can say that the weekly track workouts that I do with the local run club are really fun, just like what you describe at the Master's workout you went to. It just helps to have others around for inspiration.

I'm sure our other Scott will have meaningful feedback. For what it's worth, my attitude would be to jump in now it you can make it work. The only concern would be if you haven't figured out your stroke mechanics. You could end up reinforcing some bad habits that will be hard to break later.

One other point: you asked whether you should wait to race until September when your training will have built up to 2000 yards for your Sprint Tri, FWIW, when I was getting started I NEVER swam that distance in training for the simple reason that I couldn't. It was more like 500, 600, 700 yards per session because that's all I could do. Before entering my frst race I just wanted to get up to the 800 yard Sprint distance one time in training so I would know I could do it in a race.

I did seven sprint races that first summer. Yes, my swimming sucked and I gradually built up my ability and training base. But I really wanted to learn the mechanics and physical impacts of actual triathlon racing...learn the things like mass start swims, race set up, transition, running off the bike, etc...all the stuff that can really only be learned through experience in races. So I wasn't going to let my lack of swim ability delay immediate opportunities to get out and race now.

As far as I'm concerned, if yourcan do complete the race distance in practice you're ready to go have fun at a lot of races this summer. You'll probably be in middle or toward the back of the pack, but so what?

Do you know BuDu Racing? They do NW events all summer. You can find their race calendar here: http://www.buduracing.com/

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2014-06-19 11:06 AM
2014-06-19 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Hi James, here in FL 52 in crazy cold. I did a sprint last year at 61 degrees and I was disoriented when I got out of the water, of course I spent more time in the water than most people did but I was working very hard.... I had a neopreme cap too. I would have sent you mine if I had known you needed one. The advice I got was to get in the water, get some water in your wetsuit and let it be warming up oprior to the swim start.

Give us a good race report and good luck.
2014-06-19 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Hi James, good luck on your sprint!

52 is pretty cold and I tolerate the cold pretty well, but would be uncomfortable in 52 degrees with out a neoprene cap like Scott recommended, I would also recommend getting some ear plugs. You can pick up some cheap wax ones at the drug store, I found out that the cold water gets in my ears and causes some pretty severe dizziness for some people, I am one of those! I came out of the ocean one day and thought I was going to pass out in transition, luckily on a club mini tri. After some research I found it was from the cold water, now I always use ear plugs when I swim in the ocean here in Maine or anytime the water is in the 60's or below, haven't had an issue since.

Have fun
2014-06-19 11:19 AM

User image

Upstate, New York
We are in Albany. Actually on the Cape this week though - doing the Hero Sprint Tri on Sunday in Mashpee. My second and my husband's first. We actually went and swam in the pond they are using yesterday - a big help in overcoming the swim anxiety! Anyways I would like to do at least one more this season. Your advise has been so helpful. Hope to see you at one some event!
2014-06-19 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Some Training Suggestions

Originally posted by ok2try
Originally posted by KWDreamun Also you may want to add some knee strengthening exercises to you routine.
Many knee problems are actually caused by inadequate hip strength. See these articles from RunnerConnect.com. I have been doing these pretty faithfully and my knees thank me. http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/hip-strengtheni... http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/the-top-5-hip-s... Also, if you have any hints of "runner's knee" (patellofemoral syndrome), or if doing squats & lunges hurts your knees, you should do terminal knee extensions. These strengthen the quads without grinding your femur (thigh bone) further into your patella (kneecap) if it is not seated correctly. Ah yes, sadly I have learned all of this the hard way! Deb

Deb,

thanks for posting these links.  My left hip has been a recurring problem for me over the last couple of years and I can feel it starting in again now (always seems to act up when I take my run mileage above 3-4 miles).  I'm definitely going to add these to my routine.

Janet

2014-06-19 1:33 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by soccermom15

Originally posted by KWDreamun Also you may want to add some knee strengthening exercises to you routine.
Many knee problems are actually caused by inadequate hip strength. See these articles from RunnerConnect.com. I have been doing these pretty faithfully and my knees thank me. http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/hip-strengtheni... http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/the-top-5-hip-s... Also, if you have any hints of "runner's knee" (patellofemoral syndrome), or if doing squats & lunges hurts your knees, you should do terminal knee extensions. These strengthen the quads without grinding your femur (thigh bone) further into your patella (kneecap) if it is not seated correctly. Ah yes, sadly I have learned all of this the hard way! Deb

Deb,

thanks for posting these links.  My left hip has been a recurring problem for me over the last couple of years and I can feel it starting in again now (always seems to act up when I take my run mileage above 3-4 miles).  I'm definitely going to add these to my routine.

Janet

Janet,
Don't neglect stretching & rolling for your hips. I have a tennis ball which I sit on right then left cheek, unweighting the leg on the side I'm doing. I find the spot or spots where it HURTS and roll around on it a little while. Then I use my foam roller on my thighs-front, back, & sides--each leg separately & unweighted. It does hurt, which means it's breaking up muscle adhesions. Then I stretch the legs with a strap. (I'l get brave & post some pix; too long to describe.)
Also:a couple of years ago when I got my 1st correctly sized road bike, I thought it was worth a couple hundred dollars for a fitting in which the fitter stuck reflective things on my various joints which made their path show up on his video machine. Among the things I learned was that the cartilege in my hips was reduced,a common thing as people age. As a result, as I pedaled my hips were jumping around in their sockets. He tried me in cranks that are shorter than usual for my height. I could immediately see & feel the difference, and I replaced the ones on my bike. (This is against the common wisdom that says longer cranks=more power. True, but no good if it's tearing up your hips. I have to compensate with a faster cadence.)
So if your hips bother you while cycling (more than they should), it would be worth investigating you crank length,
2014-06-19 2:57 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Monterey, California
Hey, Scott, I swam Masters for a while - go, sign up. You'll probably never be at a place where you think you're ready, there will always be something you want to work on or improve. The coach(es) are there to help make that happen. If you kept up/led with the slow lane, you're ready!
2014-06-19 3:01 PM

User image

Monterey, California
Congratulations and best on your mini!

I swim twice a week in the Pacific, it's usually down around the 50 - 53 range but popped up to a whopping 55 for a recent Sunday swim. I noticed the temp difference quite a bit even with that tiny change. I swim in a wetsuit, I'm a total wimp but we have 3 or 4 guys who swim in their "skinsuits" every time.

If you have the chance, see if you can get into the water a couple of days before the race, with your cap and earplugs. Calibrate it so you know what to expect when you jump in. Some folks spend a fair bit of time trying to catch their breath if they aren't familiar with what to expect. You might also put a regular swim cap over your neoprene. I find my hair is generally dry when I get out if I do that.

Have fun!
2014-06-19 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

My friend and co-worker talked me into joining him at a Masters swim workout this morning in Atlanta. I had never done one before, had never been on a swim team of any sort, so this was a new experience for me. It was also a 50m pool, which I had never experienced before. I choose the slow lane, kept up with the group (I was actually a little faster, which gave me a bit of a rest on each lap), and completed all of the workouts (our lane did only free-style). My total distance for the day was 2200m whereas my longest previous workout was 1500 yrds. It was a lot of fun, but I'm really sore right now and my technique got a little sloppy for the last 300-400m. I found swimming with the group VERY MOTIVATING, and much more fun than my solo workouts.

1. Join now and power through? I suspect this isn't the best choice, but my friend seems to think I should.

2. Wait until the end of the triathlon season (mid-September)? By then I will (hopefully) be up to 2000 yrds per workout, and I will (hopefully) be doing reasonable breast-stroke, back-stroke and flip turns. I suspect butterfly will take a little longer.

3. Wait longer? If so, when?

4. Don't join masters because ___?

What do you think?

Thanks!
Scott I.

Scott, if I had a Masters swim program here (in rural Maryland), I would literally jump in. I can use all the help and motivation available when it comes to swimming. I think it is a good option for you to try. Just my two cents.
2014-06-19 3:14 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

Master
Maryland
Originally posted by tkatzhyman

Many States don't offer a qualifying triathlon. You can enter under rule D-QUALIFICATION FOR “LIMITED” EVENTS for triathlon you will need to have finished two sprint races between January 1 and December 31, 2014. See Nation Senior Games Rules http://www.nsga.com/media/documents/rules/2015-nsga-games-rule-book...

I had no idea the senior games included triathlon. Very cool.

2014-06-19 3:16 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Master
Maryland
Originally posted by soccermom15

Deb,

Janet

I routinely do hip exercises now. I have had issues this year when I was training to run the Boston Marathon. Strengthening the hips has helped me quite a bit. Good luck.
2014-06-19 4:15 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by tkatzhyman

I didn't know this, and it's way cool. It means that if there's no state qualifying event in your state you can still go to the 2015 Nationals in Minneapolis. That might open it up to some of our group. Check out your own states.

Deb
2014-06-19 4:59 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Inspiration and the Tri Lifestyle

A young guy in his 20's sitting across the bench from me weighed in at 350 pounds. I kid you not, because he proudly told all of us sitting there that while he was now at 350, he was down from 500 about a year and a half ago...with a goal of getting to 200 in another 18 months. He was doing it through triathlon.

Steve

Steve,

Thank you for sharing that story.  I think I have more respect for the people like you described than anyone else.  There is a guy at the gym I use that has to be pushing 400.  He is there every time I go to the gym.  He's there before I get there, and still there after I have swam and done weights.  So many times I have wanted to go up to him and thank him for being such an inspiration and to just say "good job" for being there.  I never seem to work up the courage to talk to him.  But I admire him none the less.

You're right, seeing this gentleman at the gym reminds me that the only obstacles I have in front of my, I place there myself.

2014-06-19 5:06 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Thanks for asking. I'm doing OK. It's painful, but really the worst thing is it's just impossible to sleep. I'm off all the prescription pain meds and only using Aleve, so at least I can enjoy a fine wine with dinner again! The road back will be long. I walked out to my mailbox yesterday afternoon...about a 1 mile round trip. By the time I got home I was spent.

Steve

Steve,

I know you know what I am about to say, but it needs to be said nonetheless.  Don't try to shortcut the doctors orders.  When you start feeling better, the temptation is going to be there to get back to it, especially if the recovery stretches into months.  Just be patient my friend and do what the doctor advises.  Those are words I have seen you offer to others, probably never imagining that you might have them come back toward you one day.  There will be plenty of time to get back to the front of the pack.  This is the time to work on patience.

Now that we know you are well on the road to recovery.  I am wondering how your bike made out?  Is it repairable or are you in the market for a new bike?

2014-06-19 5:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Minor epiphany at the pool this morining. Being a beginner swimmer I have been doing Scotts lesser lengths - better form method and I think it is paying off.

THANKS SCOTT!!!

With a Mini Sprint (only .25 mile swim, 12 mile bike and 5k run) next weekend on the 29th in Cohasett Massachusetts I thought I better start adding some lengths. The plan this week was to get up to 10 lengths without stopping and next week get it up to 20 lenghts in a 25 meter pool. Well today I did the 10 lengths and felt so good I did another addtional 20 without stopping and felt great afterwoods.

I am sure my form was not perfect (yet) but thanks to Scott's training tips I think I am making progress.

I told my coach of my accomplishment and then I said I must have looked like crap and he said I actually looked very calm and smooth.

Now I just have to get used to the 52 degrees water in Boston. Going to try and get the wetsuit on and get some open water swims in this weekend.

Hey James!

Glad to see you.  It's been so long I was starting to think you got in the water in Boston Harbor and just decided to head across the pond to jolly ole England!

I seem to recall that we talked about the program you are following back in early winter.  Yes, you should definitely be moving to more yards.  You said you did 10 laps followed by 30 laps - that is 750 yards.  On 2014-06-15 8:10 PM I posted a reply to Bill (wrhall2).  In that I talked about a base endurance build.  I didn't give him an actual workout per se, however I gave him the information to build his own.  I would suggest the same thing for you.  You can do less repetitions if you need to for the first couple weeks, but I suspect you could probably do a whole workout as written.

As you begin to do longer workouts, remember what I have said about stroke technique.  Be especially aware of your form as you move through the workout.  If your technique breaks down, add time to your next rest period.  If that does not correct the technique - GET OUT OF THE WATER, GO HOME, AND COME BACK THE NEXT TIME.  That is going to continue to be true until such time as you are doing speed repetitions (intensive endurance intervals, AKA vomit reps - cause they HURT).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by k9car363 2014-06-19 8:31 PM

2014-06-19 5:29 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hey James: 52 is pretty dog gone cold. Do you have a neoprene cap to wear under the race issue swim cap? I've got a DeSoto but I know several companies make these caps. They essentially have a chin strap to hold them in place and are a pretty good insulating layer . I'm guessing Scott would correctly label me a big wussy, but I find the cold water really nasty if I can't get out and get in practice swims to adjust to the temp.

Good luck.

Opps!  How did I miss that?

NO!  I won't label anybody a wussy.  52 degrees is COLD to be swimming in!  I think up in Ventura it gets all the way down to 55 at the end of January, I would have to go all the way up to San Francisco to get down to the low 50's.  Down here in So. Cal. at Huntington Beach I think it only drops to about 58, Newport gets down to maybe 57.  Fortunately we don't have any racing when it is that cold.  By the time races start back up in the ocean the temps are up in to the mid to upper 60's.

2014-06-19 7:42 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Bike recovery efforts
Originally posted by k9car363

Steve,

Now that we know you are well on the road to recovery.  I am wondering how your bike made out?  Is it repairable or are you in the market for a new bike?

Hey Scott:

The answer on the condition of my bike is I really don't know yet as I haven't seen it. When I crashed one of the guys on the scene told me it looked OK but who knows?

Pretty funny story: When it came time to pack up and go home I was still drugged up and in the hospital. But my bike needed to be taken apart and packed into my bike box. Enter my wife, a cousin who lives in Boise and her husband, all of whom really know nothing about bikes. To me, it's a pretty simple project. Our strategy was they would get the bike and bike box at the hotel, call me in my hospital room and I would walk them through the steps via cell phone.

Sure.

Step one--start with the easy stuff to build confidence--remove pedals. Seems simple enough. 20 minutes later they are still at it, just taking off the pedals. They finally say they got the first pedal off but it also caused the chain to come off, too? What? Exasperated, I tell them to send me a cell phone pic of what their doing. Turns out, they removed the big chain ring and crank arm. I in turn found a picture on the internet of what pedals are and sent it back. And so it went.

Meanwhile, I'm drugged up, hooked to an oxygen monitor which would set off an alarm claxon if my blood oxygen levels dropped to some pre-set warning level. So they keep asking question after question, I'm answering, the alarms are going off continuously. My wife can't hear me on the phone over the alarms so I'm shouting, the nurses are running in and out of the room to respond to the oxygen alert. Meanwhile, the nurses are all trying to figure out what I' yelling about causing the alarms. And this went on for about an hour.

They finally got it boxed up. At least that's their story. My cousin and her hubby are visiting us in two weeks and "say" they will bring the bike box with them then. Until that time I have no idea about the condition of my bike, whether I'll ever see it again, or if it actually survived the crash but later lost its life during the bike box recovery effort.

Stay tuned.

Steve
2014-06-19 8:26 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

My friend and co-worker talked me into joining him at a Masters swim workout this morning in Atlanta. I had never done one before, had never been on a swim team of any sort, so this was a new experience for me. It was also a 50m pool, which I had never experienced before.

It was a lot of fun, but I'm really sore right now and my technique got a little sloppy for the last 300-400m. I found swimming with the group VERY MOTIVATING, and much more fun than my solo workouts.

Scott I.

Hey Scott -

I would say join now.  That said, I will give you a couple things to think about.

First, and most importantly, most master's programs are for swimmers training for a swim meet, not triathletes training for a triathlon.  That can be problematic if the coach insists you do all the stroke sets, the kicking sets, or any of the drills they may do.  My first suggestion would be talk to the coach and let him know you are training for a triathlon in which you will be doing freestyle and only freestyle and you would like to train with that in mind.

Next, as you have already discovered, swimming with a group can provide good motivation.  Remember however, that you are training for a triathlon.  Your primary focus needs to be on building endurance.  Yes, the occasional speed work will be beneficial, however, when you get in a group, it is not uncommon for the 'competitive drive' to kick in and you find yourself going harder than you intended.

Be VERY mindful of stroke technique.  You mentioned "my technique got a little sloppy the last 300-400m."  I submit that you will probably be better served to end your workout when you stroke breaks down rather than pushing on with poor technique.  If you are training with the masters team, in fairly short order your swim fitness will improve to the point you can go the whole workout without the stroke breakdown.  In the meantime, consider this, our body's tend to "remember" the bad habits much more easily than the good habits.  You can swim 1,000 meters with absolutely PERFECT technique, and then close out with 100 meters of poor technique.  Your body is going to remember the 100 meters of poor technique.  My recommendation is, if your technique breaks down, take a longer rest period, or better yet, skip an interval.  If that does not restore your technique to PERFECT technique, get out of the water, go  home, and try again next time.  As I said earlier, it won't take long until you have the fitness and technique to complete a workout with no stroke degradation.  Until then, protect your stroke like you protect your social security number.

I keep saying you are training for a triathlon.  There are a number of subtle differences in the freestyle stroke between 'swim-meet freestyle,' and 'triathlon freestyle.'  Of more importance to the discussion at hand is the difference in energy pathways and recovery between the two types of freestyle and how we train for each.  In a swim meet, a swimmer typically is swimming a relatively short distance - 50, 100, 200.  There are longer events however very few swimmers compete in those events.  So say that you are swimming a 100 meter freestyle event.  That is known as a sprint event.  The gun sounds, and you are anaerobic from nearly the moment you hit the water off the blocks.  You are using your glycogen stores for most of your energy and you are creating massive amounts of lactate and lactic acid.  However, the good news is that  you swim your event, and a minute or so later you are done and out of the water looking at a couple of hours to recover and refuel before your next event.  On the other hand, as a triathlete, you need to be swimming aerobically if you have any hope of completing the full triathlon.  You aren't going to have a recovery period when you come out of the water, indeed you are getting on a bike and then running.  I am stating the obvious because I want to highlight the different training that swimmers and triathletes do.  Swimmers are obviously training to become faster and stronger, but more importantly they are training their body's to clear lactic acid, while triathletes on the other hand are training their aerobic energy pathways.  Respectively, the first is done by doing high intensity intervals at or slightly above threshold (high zone 4, low zone 5) with low rest periods, while the second is done by lower intensity intervals (high zone 2, low zone 3) with more rest.  That is the biggest problem with training with a master's team that is training for swim meets.  Just be aware of the difference and set your pace accordingly.

Be aware of the yardage the master's group is putting in versus the yardage you need to be putting in.  Your workouts, as a general rule, should be 1.5-2.0 times the swim distance of your longest race distance this season.  Compare that to what the team is doing.  If the longest triathlon you are planning this season is a sprint tri then the team will probably be doing quite a few more yards than you need.  On the other hand, if your plan is to compete at the full iron distance, I can all but guarantee you the team is not doing anywhere near the yardage you would need to be doing.

Some master's teams have exceptionally good coaching, others not so much.  If there is a good coach on deck, so much the better as you will have a valuable source for stroke correction and improvement.

I try to encourage everyone to find a GOOD master's program.  Make sure you know what YOU need to accomplish before a workout and make sure that you at least get that done.

Happy swimming!

2014-06-19 8:46 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Bike recovery efforts

Step one--start with the easy stuff to build confidence--remove pedals. Seems simple enough. 20 minutes later they are still at it, just taking off the pedals. They finally say they got the first pedal off but it also caused the chain to come off, too? What? Exasperated, I tell them to send me a cell phone pic of what their doing. Turns out, they removed the big chain ring and crank arm. I in turn found a picture on the internet of what pedals are and sent it back. And so it went.

Meanwhile, I'm drugged up, hooked to an oxygen monitor which would set off an alarm claxon if my blood oxygen levels dropped to some pre-set warning level. So they keep asking question after question, I'm answering, the alarms are going off continuously. My wife can't hear me on the phone over the alarms so I'm shouting, the nurses are running in and out of the room to respond to the oxygen alert. Meanwhile, the nurses are all trying to figure out what I' yelling about causing the alarms. And this went on for about an hour.

That's funny!  Thank you Steve, now I have Iced Tea running out of my nose!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
Views: 48173 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51169 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19838 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31