Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 34

2007-03-30 10:38 PM
in reply to: #743522

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: COgirl's Group - FULL

lialog - 2007-03-30 2:28 PM Does anyone else have a problem keeping their HR down during training? Mine is averaging in the 180's and is maxing out at 200. I'm not sure what is going on.

Is it just now or has it always been like that?  It can go up if you are sick, haven't drank enough water, haven't eaten well, etc.  Or maybe the HRM is wonky?

2007-04-01 3:18 PM
in reply to: #641608

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

So the 1/2 mary was today.  2:18:20-ish.....lost count with the seconds.  And forgot to stop my watch at the end....like always.  I wish it was faster, the last time I did this race 2 yrs ago, my time was 2:04.  But hey, having a baby really messes with fitness.  I was rather unprepared for this race, missing LOTS of workouts with the grant due.  So the moral here.....do as I say and not as I do.    LOL! 

How is everyone's weekend going?  Kendra, you ready to tackle a brick? 

And who has the next race?

2007-04-02 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
SC

Cathy, That's awesome, that seems like a great time to me!  It would probably take me about 1/2 a day.

I just signed up for some more races; Tri the Rock 5/19 (sprint) & 5k road race 5/12 and Ride to Read 20 mile bike ride (not really a race it's to raise money for a reading program for illiterate children & adults)

I don't think my HR monitor is messed up.  I've tested my HR on the treadmill & elliptical machines that have HR monitors on them and I get the same high HR.  I just had my blood pressure taken and it's normal.  Heart disease does run in my family (grandparents, great aunts & uncles) My Mom said she has had problems with her HR running high when she's running.  I'm thinking about getting a stress test done.  I just want to make sure nothing is wrong.  Do you think I should get a stress test done or is this normal for some people to have high HR?

I'm leaving right now to go swim & bike with my tri group.  This should be fun.  We are going to try going straight from the pool onto our bikes.

Hope everyone has a good one!

Mel  

2007-04-03 12:45 PM

User image

HI!!! You ladies are AWESOME!!

Wow, it's been way too long! I'm back in the game baby! This time I am not taking myself off the "to do" list. I've been working out and feeling great-- have done some bricks. I'm feeling like I can do this

I'm running into some trouble recovering from my workouts. I feel great during, but about a 1/2 hour to a hour later I feel like I a need a nap or a bag of jelly beans. I have started buying those energy bars (luna) eating them about an hour prior to my workout-- seems to be helping a bit. Any suggestions?

Edited by Trimomnewbe 2007-04-03 12:45 PM
2007-04-03 12:52 PM
in reply to: #745088

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

lialog - 2007-04-02 6:35 AM I don't think my HR monitor is messed up.  I've tested my HR on the treadmill & elliptical machines that have HR monitors on them and I get the same high HR.  I just had my blood pressure taken and it's normal.  Heart disease does run in my family (grandparents, great aunts & uncles) My Mom said she has had problems with her HR running high when she's running.  I'm thinking about getting a stress test done.  I just want to make sure nothing is wrong.  Do you think I should get a stress test done or is this normal for some people to have high HR?

Could just be the way you are!  No chest pain or anything right?  You could certainly ask your primary care if a test is needed (unless you don't need a referral?). 

What happens if you run slow?  Does your HR stay high anyway?

2007-04-03 12:55 PM
in reply to: #747267

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Trimomnewbe - 2007-04-03 11:45 AM HI!!! You ladies are AWESOME!! Wow, it's been way too long! I'm back in the game baby! This time I am not taking myself off the "to do" list. I've been working out and feeling great-- have done some bricks. I'm feeling like I can do this I'm running into some trouble recovering from my workouts. I feel great during, but about a 1/2 hour to a hour later I feel like I a need a nap or a bag of jelly beans. I have started buying those energy bars (luna) eating them about an hour prior to my workout-- seems to be helping a bit. Any suggestions?

HI!  I'm so glad you are working out and feeling good! 

You bring up a good point, one that we haven't talked about yet.  After a harder or longer workout, be SURE to replace some carbs and protein within 30 minutes (like 1/2 bagel or an apple with peanut butter, or a recovery drink like Endurox).  then eat again, like a meal within 2 hours.  that will help you be efficient and recover more quickly.....and you won't feel like crap!  If you are working out in the morning, definitely eat beforehand, even if it is something small.  I think the Luna bars are a great idea for before workouts!

2007-04-03 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Cathy - Great time on your 1/2!! Looks like we are about the same speed as that was almost exactly what my time was. I would also like to get faster and my new trainer seems to be determined to make that happen. She is wicked!!!! Well at least I am getting my money's worth!

As for my bike ride on Saturday, it was great but I ended up only doing the 32 mile distance. I was biking with some other BT folks and one had a flat a few miles in, then another had some chain issues, then we had a delay as one man had cardiac arrest after the first big hill on the ride. When we came up on him, he was flat on the ground not breathing. The word is that a nurse who was doing the ride administered CPR and saved his life. Needless to say that was a bit unnerving on my first ever organized bike ride outside of a triathlon. Anyhow, I ran out of time as my husband and the kids were waiting on me to go pick up our new puppy (which turned into 2 puppies, yes I am a complete glutton for punishment!!!) My daughter who is 8 rode 20 miles on her own bike and there were quite a few hills. I was amazed! My husband towed our 5 year old on the trail a bike and then attached the burley to the trail a bike with our 16 month old son. He only went 20 miles as well, but with the wagon train behind him I think that counts almost double.

Now I am gearing up for my next race on April 22nd. It will be my first Oly and I am a bit nervous. Yesterday when I had my workout with my trainer she asked me if I was doing intervals. I said "No, not really", her response was a rather harsh "Why not?!?!?!?!" I guess I need to work on that. We worked on legs again for 45 minutes straight and hard. I was spent after that and a spin class.

Good luck everyone with your workouts! 

2007-04-03 1:28 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Nice job on the bike Jill!  Yikes, coming across someone in cardiac arrest would be unsettling at best!  Amazing.

Intervals....YES!  They will make you faster!  In general, for biking and running you should do one day of intervals for each once per week.  They hurt, but they're good for you

2007-04-03 1:59 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Cathy - Could you direct me to a thread that explains intervals or maybe an article? I am not sure how to incorporate them into my training.
2007-04-03 5:55 PM
in reply to: #747405

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

texmom - 2007-04-03 12:59 PM Cathy - Could you direct me to a thread that explains intervals or maybe an article? I am not sure how to incorporate them into my training.

Here's a good article for run intervals: http://www.triathletemag.com/Departments/Training/2006/story847f.htm

Basically, the idea is that once per week, run with intervals....that can be where you do "strides" where you run faster than usual but not an all out sprint - say 6-8 times for 20-40 seconds.  OR, you can go to a track and break it up by distance, like 400 fast, 400 recover and repeat a bunch of times.  Tempo runs are close to your LT....these hurt like crazy, but are REALLY good for you.  for a tempo run, you would warm up, then do a few minutes at close to LT, then cool down....you build up the time you can tolerate that higher HR. 

On the bike, you can do one leg intervals (these are GREAT, but best done on the trainer for safety.  You can also do a cadence pyramid, like 1 min at 90, 1 min at 100, 1 min at 110 and then back down again. 

If I find more articles I'll post them! 

2007-04-03 6:03 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Here's more on intervals!:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=70378&posts=3&highlight=interval&highlightmode=1#M738561

Oh and hills are good interval workouts too! 

You might notice that swimming is always in interval-style training sessions.....intervals in swimming are great.  helps you get LOTS faster.  Most people don't usually go out and just swim a mile straight (or do so rarely)

2007-04-03 6:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Looking for a group that might help me along to successfully completing my first triathlon. I just starting running about 2 years ago. Prior to that, I was did little to nothing. After a weight loss of 45 pounds over about 1 1/2 years, I decided I would change things for good. I could use any advice/encouragement over the next several months. The race is 7/29/07 in Minnesota.
2007-04-03 10:02 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Well, girls, I'm heading for a little R&R. Going to Augusta and Savannah GA. The grandsons are in Augusta (3 1/2 & 2 1/2 yrs old). Then we will all be heading to Savannah for a couple of nights. The hotel does have a pool (ha ha) so I will get some swimming in. And I'm sure lots of walking and running after the boys inbetween. You all know what that is like.

Not taking a computer so I'll have to log in after I get back.

Jill, OMG, what a scare on a bike ride. Thank goodness for the nurse. I've been on several organized bike rides and never had an experience like that. Now, we are known for getting heat stroke here in the south. I've experienced that first hand and did not enjoy that one bit. Your next race is on my husbands birthday. But what is an Oly. I can't figure it out, help!

It felt good to swim today after a 3 week hiatus.

TTFN

Kendra
2007-04-04 12:04 AM
in reply to: #747897

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

teachertrek - 2007-04-03 5:36 PM Looking for a group that might help me along to successfully completing my first triathlon. I just starting running about 2 years ago. Prior to that, I was did little to nothing. After a weight loss of 45 pounds over about 1 1/2 years, I decided I would change things for good. I could use any advice/encouragement over the next several months. The race is 7/29/07 in Minnesota.

Hi teachertrek, I think we can squeeze in one more!  Congrats on the wt loss and running! 

Advice: start using the logs (if you haven't already, I didn't get a chance to see if you are using them), read up in the forums, ask questions (there aren't any dumb questions!), and workout!  Try to do each sport 2 x a week if possible.  HOw's that for a start!  Is your race a sprint? 

2007-04-04 12:08 AM
in reply to: #748058

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

kns57 - 2007-04-03 9:02 PM But what is an Oly. I can't figure it out, help! 

Hi Kendra!  Oly is short for olympic distance tri (aka international distance, but no one seems to call it that anymore).  Here's the distances that are typical in triathlon:

• Sprint: 750 meter swim, 20km bike, 5 km run
  • Oly: 1500 meter swim, 40km bike, 10 km run
  • Half-Ironman: 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run
  • IM: 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run

Hope that helps!  Sometimes there are other distances though....and then we're all confused all over again    Have an awesome trip!

2007-04-05 8:33 AM

User image

Good Morning!

It's a beautiful spring day in MA-- 4 inches of fresh SNOW! Gross. Snow in April is a 4 letter word. So, I'm stuck inside for another couple of days. No, I still haven't run outside. I'm such a wimp I like my treadmill-- I know- I know-- get off the treadmill and run outside. I'm sure it will be a shock to my system.

I'm getting fitted for a bike today-- so excited. I also signed up for triathlon 101-- a 6 week class especially designed for the sprint tri I'm doing in July. Should be good- starts May 1.

Hope everyone else is getting some spring weather-- Have a great workout today ladies

Goal today--8 mile bike--Swim class tomorrow.

Melissa

Edited by Trimomnewbe 2007-04-05 8:34 AM

Z
2007-04-05 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member

Sorry I have not posted lately...

I have been battling my bad knee. I started personal training 3 times a week to build up my strength, it kicks my butt! I always considered myself a fit person but this personal training stuff gets it to a whole new level. I hurt in places where i did not know i had any muscles! We are working on a goal of making me 25 LB lighter by the end of June and much stronger overall. I need to strengthen my core and legs to take care of some very bad pains i have been experiencing since i started my triathlon training. Starting this weekend i will also bike regularly and go back to swimming next week. Hopefully it will all get better because i was already considering not racing this season.

Nice to see everyone training! You all are amazing!

Z. 

2007-04-05 9:26 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Z - I TOTALLY hear you about the personal trainer making you hurt in places you have never hurt before! I have just had my second workout with my trainer person and OUCH is all I can say!
2007-04-05 9:28 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Cathy - Thanks for the articles on interval training! Definitely helpful.
2007-04-06 10:28 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Hey all!

Melissa:  LOL on the snow.  It has been freezing rain all day here and is supposed to snow tomorrow.  Our neighborhood has an Easter Egg hunt for the kids the day before Easter and this will be the 3rd year out of 4 that it will be done in snow!  Crazy!  How did the bike fit go?

Z: How's the knee?  Does it bug you with running/biking or something else?  Good move on the personal training.....that does wonders! 

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!  You are all doing so great! 

2007-04-07 7:59 AM
in reply to: #749890

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Melissa,
I can relate to the cold. Here in Minnesota we don't have any snow, but when running this morning it was a chilly -2 with the wind chill. Highs have been in the low 30's. Back to using the facemask while running. Nothing beats running outside though. Luckily I have a friend/neighbor who I run with three times a week. It makes you accountable. No sleeping in or hitting the snooze one more time.

I am going to buying a bike this weekend. I decided not to go the expensive route this time. We just vacationed in Arizona and Mexico last week and can't justify spending oodles of money on a bike. Maybe if I really like it, I will invest in one next year. I'm almost embarrassed to say that the bike I am buying is from Target. It's a road bike (I think) with the thinner tires and gears that are controled by your thumb on the handle bars. It's only $200. Am I crazy?? Has anyone ever used an ordinary bike for a sprint tri? At least this way, if I do buy an expensive bike later I can still use this one for riding with my kids to the park, around the lakes, etc.

My goal by next week is to actually be riding it. My first tri is at the end of July. I haven't started swimming yet. I will begin some organized training at the beginning of May. When do most of you start brick training?

2007-04-07 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Hello girls hope all are well!!!!

I have not posted in a while. I have been still training--not as much crazy busy with grad school right now and raising children but you all know about that don't you. We have been out of town almost every weekend for 2 months now and are leaving again for SC today. I did swim 4200 yards this morning with the masters team. I have been biking or swimming 5 times a week and walking a 5k 3 times per week. I am unable to run as my hip is in terrible pain every time I try. Have not been to the dr for that yet. Sports med girl in swimming called it something but I have resigned myself to not run that part of the tri this time.

I am hoping to do an open water swim a few times before the tri in June, still waiting for details.

Here I was feeling sorry for myself cause it was 36 degrees this AM, I cannot imagine -2 degrees!

becki----FYI I bought my road bike which is lovely and perfect off of craigs list for $350....that is a great place to start but make sure you get fitted for the right size---that is very important.

Oh and does anyone have any reccomendations on special goggles for open water swims? thx.

heather
2007-04-10 6:28 AM

User image

MotoQueen
Well, I'm back. Did not do much swimming for the so called heated pool (outdoors) was not heated. I thought my teeth were going to fall out, so one day of swimming was enough. Brrrrr!

I am going to do a brick on Sunday. Got the bike in good shape and ready to roll. Plan on doing 12 miles on the bike and then a 5K. Should be really good experience.

Off to the dentist for me. See ya girls.

Kendra
2007-04-10 7:07 AM

User image

MotoQueen
I was wondering about what to wear. I know you said that the tri shorts are different from regular biking shorts. I am wondering if a one piece tri suit is easier than shorts and top, or is it preference, etc. Any advice?
2007-04-10 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Kendra - Good luck on the brick! I have done several lately and I have just been running in my bike shorts. I don't recommend it if you are going for a long run (anything over about 3 miles) and as long as your bike shorts don't rub and make you uncomfortable. The 3 tris I have done in the past I have done the run in my bike shorts. I did just buy a pair of tri shorts, but haven't worn them yet.

Heather - Sounds like you have been getting in lots of exercise with a completely crazy schedule. I think you mentioned that you work full time. I work part time, but am thinking of increasing my hours in the fall and putting my son in full time childcare. I haven't ever had any of my kids in full time childcare so I am a little nervous.

Anyone else have young kids in full time childcare? Right now my life is a constant juggle between carpooling everyone to different schools, after school activities and trying to keep up with everyone's schedule. Since my middle child will be in kindergarden in the fall, I would like to put my son in full time so that my life will be slightly more sane. He will be 22 months by that point.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 34