Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-06-12 7:53 AM
in reply to: #801361

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL

Good Morning People!

One thing that I did this weekend for my tri was I put a landmark where my bike was stationed so I could find it easily.  I bought a tall, cheap, bright yellow tulip and looped it around the pole next to my bike.  I was able to find my bike easily...although my transition was s...l...o...w...because of my chatting issues!  This was such a big event with over 2600 participants, it helped me.  Some women used helium balloons, whirly-gigs, flags...anything that would stand out. 

I'm so excited for you ladies.  I'm ready to do another tri...NOW!!!  I'm soooo hooked!

Have a great day, everyone!

Angela

2007-06-12 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
guys!!

I think im back in the horse again. This week i was just kinda not super motivated for some reason and ate a lot this weekend, had dessert twice and it wasn't that good .

Anyways, the landmark suggestion is awesome Ang! I will totally do it. I am soo excited to see you so into it!!1 this is awesome!!! Also does anyone have suggestions on glasses, tri shorts and aero bars? my tri is in two weeks Rich, should I stick to my program and just take the tri as a hard/fun/training? Also I have access to where the race is going to be, should I try and do a semi race this weekend? or split workouts and do them there?

I am as always very impressed by everyones performance, Rich you are totally the best coach! we love you!!!

have a good day ya'll !!
2007-06-12 8:35 AM
in reply to: #840274

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Way to get back in the game, Caru! I think the occasional splurge is good for you - you don't want to be a slave to your tri, right? As long as you keep on keeping on.....

I have Profile Design aero bars on my bike and I LOVE THEM!!! The arm pads fold up and in the center when you're not using them, so they don't get in the way of bike computers and such.  I have also added a profile design water bottle that fits in between them, which makes keeping hydrated very easy.  As I've mentioned before, I'm coordination-challenged and reaching down to my cages for drinks frequently wasn't working for me.  I kept dropping the bottle when I was trying to put it back in the cage!! Not so good during a race.  With the bottle between the bars, I keep a second one in my cages for a refill on the road, but that's the only time I have to mess with it.  Both the bars and the bottle were well worth the $$$.

2007-06-12 2:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
what to do when you are still hungry mentally but in reality your belly is full and you are full but you are still wanting more food.
Honestly I've never had this issue bother me so much than the last couple of days. I am pretty good at listening to my body, but i dont know what im doing wrong. Any suggestions? I know some of you guys had the same issues.. i drank water, and im drinking it, but now i am ,like all water inside and i feel all watery like in ym belly. yuk....
2007-06-12 2:22 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
I drink a low-carb protein shake (hey, old habits die hard). I also enjoy frozen grapes! They are like eating little popsicles and the habit of popping them in my mouth pacifies my hunger.
2007-06-12 2:30 PM
in reply to: #841295

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
A little bit of protein helps me, too.  Also, if I can distract myself from the munchies for a little while and get busy doing something else, I find that the munchies often go away after a little while.  You might try eating a bit more protein in your meals - it should last longer in your tummy and you won't be getting so hungry.

2007-06-12 2:52 PM
in reply to: #831511

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: Interesting bike ride

So it's Tuesday again, which means a serious workout day for me.  I just got off of my bike and I'm cooling down/refueling before my swim in a little while.

Rich, a week or so ago, you said:

Here is a good drill. On that one big hill, do repeats.....climb the hill, go back down the hill and go back up the hill....x 8. Do that once a week. That will really build your climbing muscles. Ooohhhh and the climbing is down as fast/hard as you can. 

My first thought when I read this was "Ha! You're funny! Have you SEEN THAT HILL?!?!"  I mean we're talking about a 7% grade over 1/2 mile, here! But I decided that I would at least give it a try.  That was my plan when I went out today.  Unfortunately, due to morning meetings again, I had to postpone my bike ride until this afternoon and it is HOT out there, so I figured I'd go until I ran out of water and then come on home.

So my first time up the hill was pretty good.  At least until about 3/4 up.  So I'm cranking away, got my head down, riding pretty close to the curb and I see a stick lying against the curb.  As I get right on top of it, I realize it's not a stick - it's a 4-5 foot rattlesnake! I  almost pedalled my right foot down on it's head! He was just lying there on the side of the road, half in the grass, hanging out doing goodness knows what.  I got a pretty good adreneline rush to push me the rest of the way up the hill.  I think I surprised him as much as he surprised me, 'cause he didn't rattle or coil up or anything.  I thought for a minute that he might be dead.  So I checked him out again on the way down the hill - nope, not dead.  He was definitely moving into a more defensive position. Yikes!  Needless to say, I stayed quite a bit further from that curb the next time up the hill.

So the second time up the hill was okay as well, in terms of my legs.  The third time up the hill, I was thinking of you, Rich, and hoping you would understand that 8x up that hill was NOT happening today! By the fourth time up the hill (and yes, the snake was still there) I was out of water, out of leg power, and figured Rich was out of his mind, so I crawled my way on home. I did a 1/2 mile jog to loosen up the legs when I got home and then went inside to rehydrate and cool down.

I think my approach to repeats on that hill is going to be 1) go only in the mornings, though it is good for me to be getting acclimated to the heat - at least one of my upcoming races will be very warm indeed; and 2) add a repeat every 1-2 weeks until I get up to 8.  Right now I can do 4 maybe 5, but 8 would probably mean I'd have to call my hubby to come bring me home!

So, an interesting ride indeed.  I'll be hitting the pool soon - I hope you all are staying cool and having a good day!

2007-06-12 3:08 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
OMG. First of all, good job for making it up there four times. Second, I think it's hilarious that you noticed the snake still there on the 4th run! LOL!
2007-06-12 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
kat u crack me up!!1 a rattle snake, holy crap!!! man that is hilarious you totally made me crack up! Im glad its aliveeee!!! yey
2007-06-12 3:43 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Great job on the hill repeats!  I think after seeing the snake on round one, I would have pedalled on home!  Then you did it 3 MORE TIMES!!!  Hard core, girl!  Have a refreshing swim...you deserve it!
2007-06-12 4:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Excellent Job Kat!

You're rockin! And I'm sure that rattlesnake is rattling! Under those conditions, you did an AWESOME Job!

Here is a variation to doing the complete hill...... Climb up the hill for 2 to 3 minutes and flip it. Keep doing that for 8 times..... what you will find over time is that you will get further and further up the hill in the same 2 to 3 minutes.

Make sure you stretch after those workouts to get the lactic acid out of the muscles..... GREAT JOB!

Rich

2007-06-12 4:42 PM
in reply to: #841416

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Hunger pangs?
Hey Caru:

Sometimes it is habit....when are you noticing that you get hungry. Is it the same time? I have cravings..... like newspaper = 1 cup of coffee ...... reading e-mails = 1 green apple ...... DVD = 1 bowl of popcorn (unbuttered, unsalted, airpopped)..... Driving my car = 1 bottle of water.

See if there are any trigger points that cause you to be hungry. I like the idea of drink water. BUT the winner is frozen grapes.....gotta try that!

Rich
2007-06-12 4:48 PM
in reply to: #838101

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: GREAT JOB, ANGELA!!!
CONGRATULATIONS, Angela! (I'm sorry a little late!!!!!)

Looking forward to your full race report! Heat does take the starch right out of you...... Hopefully some of the more recent articles will help you with your transition.

Rich

yoblondie - 2007-06-10 9:07 PM

Hi Everyone!  I'm alive!!  I didn't drown...matter of fact...I actually enjoyed the swim!  After the first buoy, I found my groove and swam like a fish!  I didn't even drink any water.  I was slow, but I did it and I felt great!  The bike course was awesome.  We had some killer hills, but I jammed on them.  Again, I was proud of my pace for the bike.  Now, the one event I've trained for the most...sucked!  I hated the run.  I didn't like the grassy terrain and it was hot, hot, hot!  I even walked up 2 hills.  (I was next to a 79 year old lady who was doing her 5th TRI!)  Anyways, I'll write up my race report later.  Transition times were s...l...o...w...  but I had a fantastic time!

Kat, I'm sorry I didn't get in touch with you.  I was nervous about the swim, transitions, etc. and time got away from me!  This is definitely a tri that I'll do again.  I might sign up for the Longhorn Sprint in Oct.  I think you're doing that one???  Did you get to meet Derek? 

2007-06-12 4:59 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hey Rich, I posted my race report so you can look at my results.  My race pace for the bike according to Danskin was 17.4 mph.  I was really pleased with that time.  My next tri will be in Oct.  I haven't decided if I'm going to do the Benbrook (same course as May's tri) or the Longhorn Sprint (same course as Danskin)  Either way, I'll be able to compare my times.  I'll probably do a reverse tri in Sept too.  One of my goals will have to be to stop talking to everyone around me as I transition into the next event!  I just get so excited! My next race isn't until July 15, a 25K that starts at midnight!  So I have some great months of training ahead.

2007-06-12 11:04 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago

Dude...

Running a 192 mile relay is a helluvalot harder than one may think.

Days later I am STILL catching up on my sleep. It was absolute insanity, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the dang thing for a fabulous race report.

Will I do it again? OH HELL YES.

If any of you fine folks have the opportunity to do a ridiculously long relay...do it. I haven't had that much fun in a really long time. "Fun" and "Exhausting" are the two best descriptors.

So yeah...I've done a crazy amount of running the past week...and...oh...absolutely zero swimming and biking. But I'm hitting the pool tomorrow...so that's all about to change.

And...I chopped my hair for Beautiful Lengths last night (similar to locks of love)...I seriously feel so much lighter! I think it makes me run that much faster. Woohoo!!   ...all sorts of fun details on ye olde blog.

I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that a) I survived and b) I'm catching up...I was hoping to be on last week before the relay, but I had to cram 5 days worth of work into 3 in order to take off...let me tell ya, working 36+ hours in 3 days took its toll...I was delirious before the relay even began!!

Anyone want to give me an abridged version of what I missed? Okay....it's off to bed. I'll start reading all the good stuff I missed in the morning. I am seriously still pooped!!

2007-06-13 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hey folks!  So I've been doing this 300cal/3 hours nutrition thing for two weeks now, and I've lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks!!! Hooray!!! I'm at a new low for the year!!! I'm so excited....can you tell? Five more pounds and I'll be under 170, which I haven't seen since I had my babies.  If I keep up this pace of weight loss, I could be there by July - too cool!! Just had to share....

2007-06-13 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
OMG kat, I was thinking about that yesterday since it was tuesday, but if it was bad I didnt wqant to remind you. SEEE I TOLDDD YAAA!!! sned some of that energy my way, why dont you!!! ha ha aha/ I've been munching away, but did strenght trainin this mornin, always makes me hunggrryyyy. YEYYYY jayhawk is back !!1 ok gotta go, but ill check your blog and see what up!!!

2007-06-13 10:42 AM
in reply to: #842032

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: 192 Mile Relay - AWESOME JOB
WELCOME BACK, Barb! ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING!

That 192 Mile Run Relay sounds like totally cool..... (How "Valley Talk" was that!!!!) Looking forward to hearing the details.... you deserved a couple of days sleep. Ease back into your training.... your body needs to recover.

GREAT JOB, Barb...... I bow in GREAT respect!

Rich
2007-06-13 10:48 AM
in reply to: #842390

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Plan Working! KUDOs!
Hey KAT! That is HOT! CONGRATULATIONS! You are basically doing the same plan I was talking about with some variation..... this plan is working for you...... dial in on it and don't let up! GREAT JOB! When you get to your goal weight, we want pics!

Find a 5lb. weight.....everytime you find yourself slipping, just pick up that 5lb weight.... that is what you lost. It can be a motivator for you to keep going and to close up that potato chip bag.

It is GREAT to see you having success with this plan....Keep it up Girl!

Rich

katzchen55 - 2007-06-13 9:27 AM

Hey folks!  So I've been doing this 300cal/3 hours nutrition thing for two weeks now, and I've lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks!!! Hooray!!! I'm at a new low for the year!!! I'm so excited....can you tell? Five more pounds and I'll be under 170, which I haven't seen since I had my babies.  If I keep up this pace of weight loss, I could be there by July - too cool!! Just had to share....

2007-06-13 11:07 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hi Barb...what a fantastic relay!  I can't wait to hear more.  Crazy!!!

Kat, super job with the weight loss!!!  So, when do you get to buy the new dress for the opera?  Fabulous!

Let's keep moving forward, group!  I love all this success.  It's amazing what we can do when we put our minds to it!  YIPPEE!

2007-06-13 12:22 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago

Kat....that is incredible!!!! What's your secret?!

2007-06-13 12:30 PM

User image

Houston
I am back everybody!!
My internet has been down since Monday so I have been iching to get back on this thing.
So the swim meet went better than expected. Here are my times. It was a 50 meter pool

50 back 30.3 1st
50 free 26.5 4th
50 Fly 28.2 2nd
100 back 107.5 1st
200 Im 2.31.1 1st ( meet record)

It was much better than I thought I was going to do, I ate a little bit of a power bar after every race and I think that helped keep my engery up!!
Now the bad news my meet for this weekend got axed due to lack of signups Boo!!
So all I get to do is focus on my tri July 1st.

by the way I feel the same way about my food intake at meals lots of times I dont feel full ( that might be because I used to stuff myself to the brim) What I do is drink a glass of water and wait about ten min. If I am out at dinner I just suck it up and wait till I get home.
2007-06-13 1:37 PM
in reply to: #842782

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
RunningJayhawk - 2007-06-13 12:22 PM

Kat....that is incredible!!!! What's your secret?!

I don't know if you caught the discussion a couple of weeks ago when I was so frustrated b/c I hadn't lost anything at all in so long.  A personal trainer told me to eat 300 cal every 3 hours on the nose.  The key isn't in what I eat, though making good choices is obviously better than making bad ones.  The key is eating small amounts every 3 hours consistently, six times a day, to get the metabolism running at high speed and keeping it there.  For the first few days I had a chronic case of the munchies, but after that I think my tummy and my brain got used to it and I've hardly been hungry since. I logged my food carefully for the first week until I got used to the correct portions and developed some meals/snacks that I can call on in a jiffy. I've been eating lots of fruit and veggies (you can make a pretty killer salad for 300 cals!), yogurt, protein bars, boiled eggs, cereal, and halves of things (half a bagel, half a sandwich, half a chicken breast etc.). If I know I'm going to be out and about, I pack a few things in a cooler or my purse to eat at the right time.  I've splurged a couple of times and made a meal out of ice cream, but that doesn't seem to affect it much, as long as I stay within 300 cal.  Pretty nifty!  Oh, and I'm drinking almost exclusively water.

And Derek - YOU ROCK!!! Those are some super fast times in the pool.  Fantastic work! Everyone else is going to have to watch for your wake in the tri on July 1!!!!

2007-06-13 2:38 PM
in reply to: #842795

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Derek takes 1st Place in 200 IM
GREAT Job Derek! 1st Place in IM 200 and a Meet Record ta boot! Excellent Effort dude! You get the Dolphin Award for the week!

(Don't know if that is bad news that you can now concentrate on your July 1st Tri or not....hmmm!)

Your strategy of drinking water to help fill you up is a good one! Stick to it!

Good to have you back Derek and a BIG CONGRATULATIONS!

I have to say! This group ROCKS!

Rich
2007-06-14 7:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
I'm back from Mexico! We had a blast and Mexico is HOT, so swimming was the main workout while I was away. We did a few trips to the gym at the hotel as well and I managed to not gain any weight.

I will be catching up on the posts and update my training log soon.

Glad to be back!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46