BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 47

2008-05-07 6:02 PM
in reply to: #1361748

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL!
Since Leslie's putting up awesome photos of herself, and so many of you guys did the same a few days ago, I figure I owe you all one of me. What cracks me up about this photo is the story behind it: I'd just finished my first-ever OWS in a race and was very proud of myself, and I was doing everything right and stripping off the top of my wetsuit (note cap and goggles still on my head, just as Yanti taught me!), and then I saw the photographer and suddenly got embarrassed because I was wearing just a sports bra. So naturally, I tried to cover myself up a little.

Yes, I'm just that ridiculous sometimes.

Edited by Fielding 2008-05-07 6:02 PM

2008-05-07 7:06 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Great pics!!  Thanks for sharing

2008-05-07 7:11 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Thank you also for the tips and input on breathing while running

My HR always seems to be very high when I run - even when I'm only going like 4 mph - I don't know why that is

I have been taking the walk/run approach and it does seem to be helping quite a bit - Last night's run was actually a bit of a breakthrough for me - my pace was actually under 11 min/mile - I would have never thought I could do that

Truthfully, I had been mulling over this topic in my mind and I tried to force myself to slow down my breathing and to, well, not think about it quite so much - if that makes sense

I ran much further than I ever have without needing to walk, my HR was more regulated throughout the run

and - shhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone - but it actually was sort of fun  

2008-05-07 7:33 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Hi Erin

For normal runs leading up to a half marathon I usually don't drink anything unless it is very hot and then it is only water.  In a race itself, I carry one 8oz bottle of custom Infinit and sip it during the first couple of miles to get a few extra calories in my system (about 70 calories).  I may reach for water periodically if it is hot, but that is it.  That is me.  You could be very different. I would experiment with water and/or whatever the course is serving on a couple of your longer runs.

When training for marathons, I take my fueling pretty seriously.  I worked with my naturopath, but also relied on the attached article from Kim Mueller, Infinit.  I used similar calculations for my half marathon which is where the one 8oz bottle came from.  If this doesn't make sense let me know.

Suzy 

Attachments
----------------
Determination of Run Calorie NeedsI.doc (30KB - 29 downloads)
2008-05-07 7:46 PM
in reply to: #1388378

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Beth...Try to make sure that you are breathing with your "belly" and not your "chest".  If that makes any sense.  You need to feel like you are (almost) pushing your stomach out when you inhale instead of having the chest rise.  If you try it this way the stomach will pull the diaphram down and allow more "tidal air" into the lungs (tidal air is the air in the lower part of the lungs that is not exchanged each breath...you only notice it if you have the "wind knocked out of you"

Breathing in a cadance with your feet works for some folks but as you run farther/faster and/or on more hills it can really screw you up. (At least it does me!!)

Also focus on a "conversational pace"...that's a pace you could carry on a conversation with someone else if you were running with them.  If necessary talk out loud (try not to do this around other people   and if you sound "winded" while doing this then slow the pace.

Hope this helps.

Steve

2008-05-07 7:51 PM
in reply to: #1388415

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
SSMinnow - 2008-05-07 8:33 PM

Hi Erin

For normal runs leading up to a half marathon I usually don't drink anything unless it is very hot and then it is only water.  In a race itself, I carry one 8oz bottle of custom Infinit and sip it during the first couple of miles to get a few extra calories in my system (about 70 calories).  I may reach for water periodically if it is hot, but that is it.  That is me.  You could be very different. I would experiment with water and/or whatever the course is serving on a couple of your longer runs.

Suzy 

I take pretty much the same approach for a 1/2.  I am just starting to train for a full so that is unknown territory.  I also make sure I have some calories for breakfast (about 1-2 hrs. before the race) and then pretty much do what Suzy does...Then when I get home I eat everything in sight for about 2 days 

I just got an endurance nutrition book that is EXCELLENT...I don't have it handy but I will look up the info and post it.  It covers runners, tri folks, ultra fools...etc.  I recommend it very much.

Steve

2008-05-07 7:53 PM
in reply to: #1388415

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
SSMinnow - 2008-05-07 5:33 PM

Hi Erin

For normal runs leading up to a half marathon I usually don't drink anything unless it is very hot and then it is only water. In a race itself, I carry one 8oz bottle of custom Infinit and sip it during the first couple of miles to get a few extra calories in my system (about 70 calories). I may reach for water periodically if it is hot, but that is it. That is me. You could be very different. I would experiment with water and/or whatever the course is serving on a couple of your longer runs.

When training for marathons, I take my fueling pretty seriously. I worked with my naturopath, but also relied on the attached article from Kim Mueller, Infinit. I used similar calculations for my half marathon which is where the one 8oz bottle came from. If this doesn't make sense let me know.

Suzy

Thank you! That is actually exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. And I think you guessed my ulterior motive with this question -- I do want to run a marathon sometime, and I'd like to start thinking about nutrition/hydration now. I figure a half mary is a good place to start thinking seriously about these things. I am going to start experimenting with water and some nutrition on longer runs, just to see how it sits with me, but I suspect I won't need much, if anything, on race day (at least for the first half mary -- the second one is in July and it could get pretty hot).

I read over the article and it makes a lot of sense -- plus, I love the idea of a handy formula for these kinds of things. Usually so much of training feels like a guessing game for me.

Thanks again!
2008-05-07 7:54 PM
in reply to: #1388434

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Reno8 - 2008-05-07 7:46 PM

Beth...Try to make sure that you are breathing with your "belly" and not your "chest". If that makes any sense. You need to feel like you are (almost) pushing your stomach out when you inhale instead of having the chest rise. If you try it this way the stomach will pull the diaphram down and allow more "tidal air" into the lungs (tidal air is the air in the lower part of the lungs that is not exchanged each breath...you only notice it if you have the "wind knocked out of you"

Breathing in a cadance with your feet works for some folks but as you run farther/faster and/or on more hills it can really screw you up. (At least it does me!!)

Also focus on a "conversational pace"...that's a pace you could carry on a conversation with someone else if you were running with them. If necessary talk out loud (try not to do this around other people and if you sound "winded" while doing this then slow the pace.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Actually it does make sense!  I wouldn't have understood that b4 I did pilates and happened to have a fantastic instructor

that is actually what I tried to do last night, which seemed to help - it just does not seem to come naturally to me 

thanks  

2008-05-07 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1388442

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Reno8 - 2008-05-07 5:51 PM

I take pretty much the same approach for a 1/2. I am just starting to train for a full so that is unknown territory. I also make sure I have some calories for breakfast (about 1-2 hrs. before the race) and then pretty much do what Suzy does...Then when I get home I eat everything in sight for about 2 days

I just got an endurance nutrition book that is EXCELLENT...I don't have it handy but I will look up the info and post it. It covers runners, tri folks, ultra fools...etc. I recommend it very much.

Steve

Thanks, Steve! Let me know the title of the book when you have it handy.

That's a good point about breakfast, and that makes me think that I should probably treat a half mary much the same way I would a sprint tri (and I don't really like to take in any calories during a sprint). I'll definitely be keeping an eye on you during the full mary training.
2008-05-07 8:06 PM
in reply to: #1388448

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
[

. I am going to start experimenting with water and some nutrition on longer runs, just to see how it sits with me, but I suspect I won't need much, if anything, on race day (at least for the first half mary -- the second one is in July and it could get pretty hot). I read over the article and it makes a lot of sense -- plus, I love the idea of a handy formula for these kinds of things. Usually so much of training feels like a guessing game for me. Thanks again!

Think also about when you are doing your experimental hydration/nutrition runs that you need to do them in the A.M. as that is when most races are.  If you get used to running and get your diet right in the afternoon then roll right out of bed and expect it to be the same...ain't going to happen.

Just a thought.

Steve

Edited by Reno8 2008-05-07 8:08 PM
2008-05-07 8:16 PM
in reply to: #1388468

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Reno8 - 2008-05-07 6:06 PM

Think also about when you are doing your experimental hydration/nutrition runs that you need to do them in the A.M. as that is when most races are. If you get used to running and get your diet right in the afternoon then roll right out of bed and expect it to be the same...ain't going to happen.

*sigh* Yeah, I have been thinking about that, and it sucks, because I am so not a morning person. But hey, more motivation for getting up early to train (and beating Yanti in our May challenge).

2008-05-07 9:49 PM
in reply to: #1388480

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Fielding - 2008-05-07 8:16 PM
Reno8 - 2008-05-07 6:06 PM Think also about when you are doing your experimental hydration/nutrition runs that you need to do them in the A.M. as that is when most races are. If you get used to running and get your diet right in the afternoon then roll right out of bed and expect it to be the same...ain't going to happen.

*sigh* Yeah, I have been thinking about that, and it sucks, because I am so not a morning person. But hey, more motivation for getting up early to train (and beating Yanti in our May challenge).

way to put a positive spin on it Erin!

2008-05-07 9:53 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

fellow Manatees,

I have been thinking about the challenge a lot - I hope you all don't think I am wimping out, but I am going to stick with my May challenge goals of

run: 5 hrs

bike: 7 hrs

swim: 5 hrs

I will add an additional challenge that I will say something positive about every run!

Truthfully, my life is challenging enough right now with the the whole new job and commuting thing, that I just don't feel I can tackle anything else 

2008-05-08 1:18 AM
in reply to: #1388732

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
lastcall2003 - 2008-05-07 7:53 PM

fellow Manatees,

I have been thinking about the challenge a lot - I hope you all don't think I am wimping out, but I am going to stick with my May challenge goals. ... I will add an additional challenge that I will say something positive about every run! Truthfully, my life is challenging enough right now with the the whole new job and commuting thing, that I just don't feel I can tackle anything else

WIMP! Way to set an example, mentor!

I'm totally joking. Beth, I have been so impressed with how well you've kept up with your training despite how insanely busy you are -- I mean, you commute by *plane* every weekend! -- that "wimp" is about the last word I'd use to describe you. I'll definitely be on your case on the positive running, though!

Speaking of which, I was thinking about your breathing question on my run tonight, and I remembered another thing that helped me when I was having breathing problems. It sounds weird, but you might try a strong exhale -- so breathe in deep (like Steve said -- I forgot that that helped me too) and blow it out, maybe even actually making some noise, with every breath. I read about that somewhere or other and I remember thinking it sounded weird and kind of embarrassing (I was doing all my running on a treadmill at the gym at the time, and I didn't want to be that crazy girl breathing loudly), but it totally helped me breathe more evenly and easily. Anyway, just a thought.

Edited by Fielding 2008-05-08 1:19 AM
2008-05-08 5:43 AM
in reply to: #1388468

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Reno8 - 2008-05-07 8:06 PM [

. I am going to start experimenting with water and some nutrition on longer runs, just to see how it sits with me, but I suspect I won't need much, if anything, on race day (at least for the first half mary -- the second one is in July and it could get pretty hot). I read over the article and it makes a lot of sense -- plus, I love the idea of a handy formula for these kinds of things. Usually so much of training feels like a guessing game for me. Thanks again!

Think also about when you are doing your experimental hydration/nutrition runs that you need to do them in the A.M. as that is when most races are.  If you get used to running and get your diet right in the afternoon then roll right out of bed and expect it to be the same...ain't going to happen.

Just a thought.

Steve

I think this is really good advice.  I am an early morning runner and even waiting until 10:30am for Boston to start kind of threw me off my game.  I should have hydrated more during this hours preceding the race. 

One other thing about the fueling article.  Kim suggests waiting to start taking in calories. I actually start sipping around 2m (I carry a fuel belt).  That way I can drink a less per time and whenever I want.  I know some people detest carrying their own liquid, but with a touchy gut I have no choice and it seems to work better for me.

Run well!

Suzy

2008-05-08 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1389147

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Did some speed/tempo work at the track yesterday...per Dr. Deathwish's plan.  Did 4 miles (16 laps) of sprint the straights and walk the turns.  That $hit was HARD.

But ooooooh today       This morning I did another 1000 yds. session at the pool.  This is only my second at that distance.  This time I did 10x100 yrd.  Wooo Hooo.  this is better than I had hoped and if I keep this up I will learn to like the pool as much as the open road.

No running today but have running intervals and spin class tomorrow.

Hope everyone's training is going well and please be safe out there.

Steve

2008-05-08 10:18 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Hi all,

Just finished catching up on the thread.  Great pictures and lots of solid advice about breathing in the water and on land.  I have difficulty keeping my HR down when I slog, too, so between that and my joint issues, I find running to be a little unenjoyable.  I say a little because I actually like the concept of running and being outside.  Thanks for the information.

I've been thinking a lot about challenge goals.  I see two obstacles to my training.  First, I simply don't get enough sleep.  This is problematic not only in terms of quality workouts but also because when I don't sleep enough it puts my health at risk.  I tend to wait until after my kids go to bed to get things done and then stay up late but still get up at the crack of stupid to train.  Not a good M.O.  My other issue, as I mentioned before, is meds that do funky things to my HR and weight but help my symptoms so it's a double edged sword.

Soooo... a little non-traditional but helpful to me all the same:

1.  I'm going to get 7 or more hours of sleep 5 nights per week.  I do record my # of hours slept in my blog already so I'll continue to do that.
2.  I'm going to log my med dosage/food intake as well as track symptoms.  I have a private log that I keep for this sort of thing that I'm not comfortable sharing in a publicly viewable space so y'all will just have to trust me on that .  I will put some sort of sassy notation in my blog that it's been done.

2008-05-08 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Loved the pictures, ladies! Thanks for sharing them with us.

I was so busy yesterday that I can't even remember if I made it by here. That's just sad! Thankfully, since I work a 9/80 work schedule, today is my Friday since tomorrow will be my day off. I sooooo need it, too!

I did venture out to REI yesterday though. I picked up one of the Garmin Forerunner 305's since they have them on such a good sale ($165). Even though yesterday was supposed to be a rest day, I went out for a half hour walk just to test it and play around with it. Everything worked great except I couldn't get it to pick up my HR. I did a little research online last night and found a few ideas on the MotionBased forums. I'll give those a try the next time I wear it and see if I can get it working. If I can, it's going to be so nice to only have to wear one watch now when I go wogging. Currently I wear Nike running watch on one arm and my Polar HRM watch on the other. I wear both because my Polar HRM is one of the fitness models, so it doesn't have a lap function.

Hope everyone has a GREAT day!
2008-05-08 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1389677

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
mila - 2008-05-08 11:18 AM

Hi all,

I've been thinking a lot about challenge goals.  I see two obstacles to my training.  First, I simply don't get enough sleep.  This is problematic not only in terms of quality workouts but also because when I don't sleep enough it puts my health at risk.  I tend to wait until after my kids go to bed to get things done and then stay up late but still get up at the crack of stupid to train.  Not a good M.O.  My other issue, as I mentioned before, is meds that do funky things to my HR and weight but help my symptoms so it's a double edged sword.

1.  I'm going to get 7 or more hours of sleep 5 nights per week.  I do record my # of hours slept in my blog already so I'll continue to do that.
2.  I'm going to log my med dosage/food intake as well as track symptoms.  I have a private log that I keep for this sort of thing that I'm not comfortable sharing in a publicly viewable space so y'all will just have to trust me on that .  I will put some sort of sassy notation in my blog that it's been done.

Mila...Great challenge for you this month...Just something to think about on the sleep...I read some interesting stuff on sleep several years ago about "sleep cycles".  It talked about the body and how most all of us sleep in 1.5 hr cycles and that it is important to wake up as close to the top (beginning) of a cycle as possible.  When you wake at the beginning of a cycle you are not in as deep a sleep as you are when you are 45 minutes into the cycle.  When you awaken from the deep part of the cycle you are more groggy and it takes much longer for you to get going for the day.  Wake up at the top of a cycle and you awaken much more fresh and ready to go.  Oddly enough you are better off with 45 minutes less sleep if it means waking at the top of the sleep cycle.

I tried this out myself( over a period of about 1 year), as did my wife and my sister-in-law...dang if it didn't work for all of us.  When I am thinking about going to bed I back up from my "get-up-time" for the next day in 1.5 hr segments and add about 10-15 minutes to get to sleep and that tells me when I need to hit the sack.

It is just something to think about when making a blanket statement about a certain number of hours of sleep.  Might not work for you but it worked for us. (still does)

Steve

2008-05-08 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1389736

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Reno8 - 2008-05-08 11:37 AM
mila - 2008-05-08 11:18 AM

Hi all,

Mila...Great challenge for you this month...Just something to think about on the sleep...I read some interesting stuff on sleep several years ago about "sleep cycles".  It talked about the body and how most all of us sleep in 1.5 hr cycles and that it is important to wake up as close to the top (beginning) of a cycle as possible.  When you wake at the beginning of a cycle you are not in as deep a sleep as you are when you are 45 minutes into the cycle.  When you awaken from the deep part of the cycle you are more groggy and it takes much longer for you to get going for the day.  Wake up at the top of a cycle and you awaken much more fresh and ready to go.  Oddly enough you are better off with 45 minutes less sleep if it means waking at the top of the sleep cycle.

I tried this out myself( over a period of about 1 year), as did my wife and my sister-in-law...dang if it didn't work for all of us.  When I am thinking about going to bed I back up from my "get-up-time" for the next day in 1.5 hr segments and add about 10-15 minutes to get to sleep and that tells me when I need to hit the sack.

It is just something to think about when making a blanket statement about a certain number of hours of sleep.  Might not work for you but it worked for us. (still does)

Steve

Huh... that is really interesting and makes a lot of sense.  I will try it out.  Thanks for the info.

2008-05-08 12:30 PM
in reply to: #1389758

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Reno8 - 2008-05-08 11:37 AM
When I am thinking about going to bed I back up from my "get-up-time" for the next day in 1.5 hr segments and add about 10-15 minutes to get to sleep and that tells me when I need to hit the sack.
It is just something to think about when making a blanket statement about a certain number of hours of sleep. Might not work for you but it worked for us.

x2 what Mila said -- that's interesting. I always have a really hard time getting up in the morning, so I think I will try that out tomorrow. Thanks!

2008-05-08 1:14 PM
in reply to: #1389711

User image

Expert

BunnyB - 2008-05-08 8:30 AM Loved the pictures, ladies! Thanks for sharing them with us. I was so busy yesterday that I can't even remember if I made it by here. That's just sad! Thankfully, since I work a 9/80 work schedule, today is my Friday since tomorrow will be my day off. I sooooo need it, too! I did venture out to REI yesterday though. I picked up one of the Garmin Forerunner 305's since they have them on such a good sale ($165). Even though yesterday was supposed to be a rest day, I went out for a half hour walk just to test it and play around with it. Everything worked great except I couldn't get it to pick up my HR. I did a little research online last night and found a few ideas on the MotionBased forums. I'll give those a try the next time I wear it and see if I can get it working. If I can, it's going to be so nice to only have to wear one watch now when I go wogging. Currently I wear Nike running watch on one arm and my Polar HRM watch on the other. I wear both because my Polar HRM is one of the fitness models, so it doesn't have a lap function. Hope everyone has a GREAT day!

x2 I bought the Garmin 305 on Tuesday. I charged it up last night and plan on using tonight for my run. I'm excited!!!

Positive Thought of The Day: Even though I REALLY didn't want to give my presentation today, I did it. I would literally drop classes in college because they had oral presentations. That's how bad I was. I'm not good at it, but I got the job done. Good for me.

Happy Thursday/Training everyone.

2008-05-08 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Have fun with your new toy, Jeff! Being a total gadget geek, I'm in heaven right now.
2008-05-08 2:34 PM
in reply to: #1390421

User image

Expert

BunnyB - 2008-05-08 11:42 AM Have fun with your new toy, Jeff! Being a total gadget geek, I'm in heaven right now.

I'm a numbers geek so I can't wait to get some data!!

I just saw this link in Freckle Face's blog and thought I'd put it in here since we are mentioned after all.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/08/health/nutrition/08BEST.html?ex=1210910400&en=0711453c76e3fd78&ei=5070&emc=eta1

Go Manatees!

2008-05-08 2:43 PM
in reply to: #1390558

User image

Melon Presser
elheffe99 - 2008-05-08 2:34 PM

BunnyB - 2008-05-08 11:42 AM Have fun with your new toy, Jeff! Being a total gadget geek, I'm in heaven right now.

I'm a numbers geek so I can't wait to get some data!!

I just saw this link in Freckle Face's blog and thought I'd put it in here since we are mentioned after all.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/08/health/nutrition/08BEST.html?ex=1210910400&en=0711453c76e3fd78&ei=5070&emc=eta1

Go Manatees!

Ah HEM--actually, it's a very interesting article, but the lady doesn't realize manatees ROUTINELY swim at 2-6 mph and can sprint to 15mph.

Go Manatees indeed!

Dude, if I could RUN 6 mph ...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 47