2009-02-18 4:14 PM
in reply to: #1969013

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj group - Closed
WittyCityGirl - 2009-02-18 3:04 PM

We slipped to page 2!

Training is going well for me this week.  I have a schedule 1 1/2 hour run today, but my feet hurt (plantar f. style) and we got some precipitation of the frozen kind so the sidewalks are a little slippery.  Looks like I have a LONG date with the pool tonight!

Anyone train with an ipod? I'm looking for suggestions of music to download. I'm eclectic so it's okay to share!

I let it slip the last couple of days! After being away from the office last week, I haven't been able to sneak onto BT as much!

I train with the ipod for almost all of my running as well as the trainer.  Everything from music, to podcasts (I'm a fan of Dave Ramsey and Simply Stu, who has a tri related podcast), plus I will occasionally list to a book.  Music wise I have everything from county to alternative.  Lately I have been into Buckcherry, Hinder, Fall Out Boy, and 3 doors down. But I also have the Eagles and Elvis on there too.  (the other day the wife busted me singing along to viva las vegas)!  Sometimes I'll just put it on shuffle and take what it gives me, other times I have specific playlists that are mostly designed for running at certain tempo's.

I hope the PF doesn't set you back too much!  Your training has been going well!

Edited by kenj 2009-02-18 4:15 PM

2009-02-18 8:09 PM
in reply to: #1859832

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

Yippee!!!  I got my February century done today.  It wasn't much fun but I did burn about 6,000 calories so I ate two slices of pizza tonight.  Yum.

I'd go nuts if I couldn't listen to the iPod.  I listen on the bike (I know, I know....   dangerous), in the weight room, on the treadmill, and on the stationary bike.  If I could figure out how to listen in the pool I'd be all set.

I just put it on shuffle and here are the first five songs:

1. The Water is Wide - James Taylor
  2. Lenny - Stevie Ray Vaughan
  3. Pocatello - James McMurtry
  4. Alone - Toby Lightman
  5. American Tune - Ann Wilson

I'd be really interested to see what the rest of you guys have show up as the first five on your shuffle.

I've been listening to a lot of James McMurtry lately.  Ben Folds is always a favorite.  Eddie Vedder (Into the Wild) and the sound track from "Once" are great (the movie is one of my favorites).  Los Lonely Boys, Mofro, and Ryan Adams are usually somewhere on a playlist.

2009-02-18 8:18 PM
in reply to: #1969654

User image

Master
Dunedin
snaproll - 2009-02-18 9:09 PM

I'd go nuts if I couldn't listen to the iPod.  I listen on the bike (I know, I know....   dangerous), in the weight room, on the treadmill, and on the stationary bike.  If I could figure out how to listen in the pool I'd be all set. 

I went aquajogging today and put my whole ipod shuffle on top of my head, with the volume turned way up, and threw on a swim cap.  It worked PERFECT!  Probably not as glamorous for the boys to try though.

2009-02-18 8:20 PM
in reply to: #1969669

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
WittyCityGirl - 2009-02-18 8:18 PM

I went aquajogging today and put my whole ipod shuffle on top of my head, with the volume turned way up, and threw on a swim cap.  It worked PERFECT!  Probably not as glamorous for the boys to try though.

I LOVE it!!!!

2009-02-19 4:20 AM
in reply to: #1969654

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Yippee!!!  I got my February century done today.  It wasn't much fun but I did burn about 6,000 calories so I ate two slices of pizza tonight.  Yum.

I just put it on shuffle and here are the first five songs:

1. The Water is Wide - James Taylor
  2. Lenny - Stevie Ray Vaughan
  3. Pocatello - James McMurtry
  4. Alone - Toby Lightman
  5. American Tune - Ann Wilson

I'd be really interested to see what the rest of you guys have show up as the first five on your shuffle.

I've been listening to a lot of James McMurtry lately.  Ben Folds is always a favorite.  Eddie Vedder (Into the Wild) and the sound track from "Once" are great (the movie is one of my favorites).  Los Lonely Boys, Mofro, and Ryan Adams are usually somewhere on a playlist.

I've looked into some of the swimming devices available, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  More for the long open water swims in June and July than for the pool, but it would be nice for the times I go to the Y and swim on my own.

2009-02-19 4:23 AM
in reply to: #1969669

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
WittyCityGirl - 2009-02-18 9:18 PM

I'm not sure anyone would notice!   What we wear in this sport is glamorous to begin with!

Edited by kenj 2009-02-19 12:40 PM

2009-02-19 11:35 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

These guys will waterproof a standard iPod shuffle...

http://www.swimman.com/

I used to use an iPod when running.  I decided about a year ago to focus on the running and not the music.  It was hard at first but it has really put me more in tune with how I'm preforming.

However there are times I really miss the music.

2009-02-19 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston
I'm an I-pod shuffler, (Irene) but not on the bike! I might reconsider if I was doing a 100 miler alone though. Depends on my mood, sometimes I just want to be, well with me other times I have to have Irene with me to get those intervals done.

Stronger every day - Chicago
Nowhere to run – Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
Ironman- Black Sabbath
I was made for lovin’ you – Kiss
Black Betty – Ram Jam
Shout to the top – The Style Council
Heatwave - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
Young at heart – The Bluebells
Don’t get me wrong – The Pretenders
Echo Beach – Martha and The Muffins
Beat it – Michael Jackson
Gonna Fly now (Theme from Rocky) - Bill Conti
Dominion – Sisters of Mercy
Don’t stop believin – Journey
2009-02-19 4:35 PM
in reply to: #1971624

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

wakehr - 2009-02-19 5:26 PM I'm an I-pod shuffler, (Irene) but not on the bike! I might reconsider if I was doing a 100 miler alone though. Depends on my mood, sometimes I just want to be, well with me other times I have to have Irene with me to get those intervals done. Stronger every day - Chicago Nowhere to run – Martha Reeves & The Vandellas Ironman- Black Sabbath I was made for lovin’ you – Kiss Black Betty – Ram Jam Shout to the top – The Style Council Heatwave - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas Young at heart – The Bluebells Don’t get me wrong – The Pretenders Echo Beach – Martha and The Muffins Beat it – Michael Jackson Gonna Fly now (Theme from Rocky) - Bill Conti Dominion – Sisters of Mercy Don’t stop believin – Journey

That sounds like the best of ken's record album collection (other than I don't think I have anything by anyone named Martha!)!  Hundreds of LP's in boxes because I am too sentimental to sell them and to cheap to buy a turn table to transfer them to digital. (Although the prices are coming down so maybe I'll get one)!

I like the new version of Beat It that Fall Out Boy has!

2009-02-19 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1960748

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
CraigT - 2009-02-13 11:01 AM

OK, now I have a bike question for a change of pace. 

I bought a tri bike late last summer.  Its a nice bike but it came with pretty cheap components.  The derailleurs are Shimano Sora.  It does not shift gears very smoothly and I would like to upgrade to something a bit nicer at least for the rear since I don't change the front very often.  I see that I can get a rear Ultegra derailler on Ebay for like $40.  I know I need a 9-speed long cage but is it as simple as taking one off and putting the other on?  I realize there may be some cable adjustment but is this something I can do myself or am I better off taking it into the shop? 

Thanks

Craig,

I finally got by the bike shop today and asked my guy about this.  He said that if you have a triple you'll need the long cage.  Bolting it up isn't any problem and it should fit just like the one that's on there now.  He said the issues will be getting the chain on, adjusting the cable tension, and adjusting the derailleur high and low adjustment.  He doesn't recommend breaking the chain to route it through the new derailleur.  He recommends taking a couple of screws off the derailleur and sort of twisting and spreading it to put the chain through.

His take is that if you have a friendly bike shop you might try it yourself and use them to fix any screw ups.  If you aren't in a position to do that it might be best just to take it to the shop from the get-go.

Hope that helps (now that the auction is over).

2009-02-19 8:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI

Chip,

Thanks for asking your bike shop.  I think I may have to give this a try.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

Craig

2009-02-19 10:27 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Wayne...good luck with your hamstring recovery.  For the aquajogging I just grabbed an aquajogger (the belt that clips around your waist) and away I went.  The Y that I go to has ones for us to use.  You can pedal like you're on a bike, cross country ski, wide-legged running, or I was focusing on stepping right under my hips and pulling my foot up behind me.  I point my toes a little if I want resistance as my foot is coming forward or I run with flexed feet.   I also side step in the deep end during the cool down.  I practice my regular running arms, but sometimes my shoulders tighten up so I do breaststroke arms forward or in reverse.  Hope that helps!
2009-02-20 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
So I bought a pair of jammers to swim in and I can tell you already that they're going to make me much faster.  I feel sure I'll get from the locker room into the pool in record time!!  I look like a goof.
2009-02-20 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1972643

User image

Veteran
Houston
snaproll - 2009-02-20 9:46 AM

So I bought a pair of jammers to swim in and I can tell you already that they're going to make me much faster.  I feel sure I'll get from the locker room into the pool in record time!!  I look like a goof.

Welcome to the jammer club. I bought my first one a year ago on sale with a bright orange racing stripe across the top in back extending down both legs...I put my goggles on from the locker room to the pool to avoid eye contact !!! now its no biggie, but then again I haven't seen another like em on deck. I'm not faster but I won't have to worry about losing them and when its 85 down here in November I could wear them safely out to the deer stand.
2009-02-20 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1972643

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

snaproll - 2009-02-20 10:46 AM So I bought a pair of jammers to swim in and I can tell you already that they're going to make me much faster.  I feel sure I'll get from the locker room into the pool in record time!!  I look like a goof.

You'll apreciate them more once you get in the pool and aren't pulling a "sail" behind you!

2009-02-20 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1972781

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

wakehr - 2009-02-20 11:37 AM
snaproll - 2009-02-20 9:46 AM So I bought a pair of jammers to swim in and I can tell you already that they're going to make me much faster.  I feel sure I'll get from the locker room into the pool in record time!!  I look like a goof.
Welcome to the jammer club. I bought my first one a year ago on sale with a bright orange racing stripe across the top in back extending down both legs...I put my goggles on from the locker room to the pool to avoid eye contact !!! now its no biggie, but then again I haven't seen another like em on deck. I'm not faster but I won't have to worry about losing them and when its 85 down here in November I could wear them safely out to the deer stand.

Be careful, they may shoot you just out of principle!

2009-02-20 11:44 AM
in reply to: #1972158

User image

Veteran
Houston
WittyCityGirl - 2009-02-19 10:27 PM

Wayne...good luck with your hamstring recovery.  For the aquajogging I just grabbed an aquajogger (the belt that clips around your waist) and away I went.  The Y that I go to has ones for us to use.  You can pedal like you're on a bike, cross country ski, wide-legged running, or I was focusing on stepping right under my hips and pulling my foot up behind me.  I point my toes a little if I want resistance as my foot is coming forward or I run with flexed feet.   I also side step in the deep end during the cool down.  I practice my regular running arms, but sometimes my shoulders tighten up so I do breaststroke arms forward or in reverse.  Hope that helps!

Thank you, great info, unfortunately pool I have access to is only 5 foot deep;will have to see if I can still do this without more injuries.
2009-02-21 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

A couple of you asked about the swim clinic.  The endless pool itself was interesting.  I never got really comfortable in it, but I'm so new to swimming that I'm not entirely comfortable in the pool either.  I think if I had the opportunity to swim in one a lot I'd get comfortable and it would be a great training tool.  The idea of a lap pool in my garage is appealing.

As for the clinic, the coach was pretty happy with my head position and breathing and saw quite a bit of improvement there.  Balance seemed pretty good as well.  My struggle is with the length of time I'm "gliding" during the stroke, and it's primarily with my left arm.  I pull my stroke back before I should and it gets worse as I fatigue.  When I force myself to slow the stroke down I get lazy with my arms and how they enter the water.  Apparently I'm unable to think of more than one thing at a time.  So now I have a couple of new drills to work on over the next few weeks.

I can't imagine trying to do this without a coach.

2009-02-22 6:01 AM
in reply to: #1975266

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
snaproll - 2009-02-21 10:21 PM

A couple of you asked about the swim clinic.  The endless pool itself was interesting.  I never got really comfortable in it, but I'm so new to swimming that I'm not entirely comfortable in the pool either.  I think if I had the opportunity to swim in one a lot I'd get comfortable and it would be a great training tool.  The idea of a lap pool in my garage is appealing.

As for the clinic, the coach was pretty happy with my head position and breathing and saw quite a bit of improvement there.  Balance seemed pretty good as well.  My struggle is with the length of time I'm "gliding" during the stroke, and it's primarily with my left arm.  I pull my stroke back before I should and it gets worse as I fatigue.  When I force myself to slow the stroke down I get lazy with my arms and how they enter the water.  Apparently I'm unable to think of more than one thing at a time.  So now I have a couple of new drills to work on over the next few weeks.

I can't imagine trying to do this without a coach.

I always wondered what it was like swimming in one of those pools! 

You are right, it is important to get good coaching for the swimming.  Whether it is in a clinic or a masters setting, getting feedback on the right and wrong things you are doing is important.

I sometimes compare swimming to golf! A lot of different things to remember every stroke!

Thanks for the update!

2009-02-23 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
Everybody have a big week planned?  I'm going to try to get in the pool three times this week, get in a couple hours on the bike, and hit the weights.  I'm getting frustrated that I can't run on this calf.
2009-02-23 9:56 AM
in reply to: #1976966

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

snaproll - 2009-02-23 10:50 AM Everybody have a big week planned?  I'm going to try to get in the pool three times this week, get in a couple hours on the bike, and hit the weights.  I'm getting frustrated that I can't run on this calf.

Sounds like a good plan!  When you can't work on sometbing you want, work on something you can!  The time in the pool will be of great value! (Now I just need to practice what I preach!)

Does anyone have any races coming up?

2009-02-23 7:55 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

R E C O V E R Y   W E E K   F O R   M E !!!!!!

Haha, some of you saw the "motivational" note to myself.  I must have put that there when I signed up for my HIM in November.  Well, my training plan is for 20 weeks and I'm pretty happy that I started about 7 or 8 weeks before that.  

Ken...I was closer to your part of the state yesterday.  My mom had car trouble in Waterloo so I had to drive the 2 hours to pick her up.  Too bad I got a speeding ticket on the way. =(  Apparently, cops don't sympathize with young gals driving to help out family in trouble. Hmph!

Anywhooo...I need to find a 1/2 Mary to sign up for.  There's one in Ithaca that I'm eyeing and there's also a 15k coming up too. 

2009-02-23 8:16 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
p.s. Wayne...how'd you get the weather to show up in your blog? Thanks!
2009-02-24 3:51 AM
in reply to: #1978180

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
WittyCityGirl - 2009-02-23 8:55 PM

R E C O V E R Y   W E E K   F O R   M E !!!!!!

Haha, some of you saw the "motivational" note to myself.  I must have put that there when I signed up for my HIM in November.  Well, my training plan is for 20 weeks and I'm pretty happy that I started about 7 or 8 weeks before that.  

Ken...I was closer to your part of the state yesterday.  My mom had car trouble in Waterloo so I had to drive the 2 hours to pick her up.  Too bad I got a speeding ticket on the way. =(  Apparently, cops don't sympathize with young gals driving to help out family in trouble. Hmph!

Anywhooo...I need to find a 1/2 Mary to sign up for.  There's one in Ithaca that I'm eyeing and there's also a 15k coming up too. 

Oh no! That's too bad about the speeding ticket!  You could have popped over to Geneva from there and did a quick tune up swim in Seneca Lake! (If it wasn't frozen over! )

I got a kick out of that note!

I'll hopefully find out this week if I am going to be home for the 1/2 in Ithaca.  If I am I'll come over and run that with you.

2009-02-24 4:04 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Sunday I registered for the Goofy Challenge.  That's the Disney 1/2 marathon on Saturday 1/9/10 and the Disney Marathon the next day! So it will be a run focused fall!  The funny thing, I am talking to my wife about doing the race and planning the vacation and when to go over to Disney from my in-laws, I say to her; if I want, there is a 5K on Friday too! She thought that was nuts!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 29