Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-01-12 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2610095

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: RE: Experior's Group - CLOSED
scout21 - 2010-01-12 12:27 PM I had a good day today.  2500 yards in the pool and a 4 mile lunch time run.  Here's to hoping that I can control myself at dinner.  Spare ribs are cooking in the crock pot right now.  My son asked last night if we could have ribs for dinner....I LOVE that kid! 

I may try and get back in the pool tomorrow.  I did send an email to the Y asking if any of their swim instructors can do stroke correction...hopefully they'll have good news for me...

Scout

BTW, weight tends to fluctuate a great deal from day to day.  I step on the scale daily to monitor myself, but I only weigh in once a week, every Friday morning.

My son called in sick from school so I had to go pick him up.  A little found time, but will have to go back to work in an hour or so. 

Anyway, Nice Workout today!!!! You are putting in some major workouts lately.  Now here are three things to think about (Re:  Those Ribs Cooking in the Crock Pot); PORTIONS, PORTIONS, PORTIONS.  Just think about what you will gain (not in weight) towards your goals to losing weight if you plan out and vision what you are going to eat this evening.  I bet after your meal this evening and tomorrow you will feel much better about your week to come by not overeating and coming to temptation to eat more than what you need.  Just something to think about.!!!

2010-01-12 3:39 PM
in reply to: #2610072

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
On the weight loss front I seem to be up some last night.  Not sure why; maybe the additional consumption of water this weekend trying to stay extra hydrated.  My weight fluctuates so much from day to day.  Only towards the end of the week does it tend to settle down some and become more regular.  Anyone else with this issue?

I'm up one from Saturday.  Probably a combination of de-hydration on Saturday and getting back home to [organ music] snacks.  Maybe salt too which I gather allows you to absorb water (lots of nuts the last couple of days).   But it kept me from a second helping last night and will hopefully lead me to a healthy meal this evening instead of the little voice saying "pick up a pizza" (or stop by Scout's place for ribs... grrrrr... yum).  I am my own worst enemy, especially when stressed.  So, you can see why I was wagging my finger earlier!
-Stu

Edited by juneapple 2010-01-12 3:41 PM
2010-01-12 5:54 PM
in reply to: #2610169

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
TriGuyBri - 2010-01-12 2:58 PM

Now here are three things to think about (Re:  Those Ribs Cooking in the Crock Pot); PORTIONS, PORTIONS, PORTIONS.  Just think about what you will gain (not in weight) towards your goals to losing weight if you plan out and vision what you are going to eat this evening.  I bet after your meal this evening and tomorrow you will feel much better about your week to come by not overeating and coming to temptation to eat more than what you need.  Just something to think about.!!!

I was able to show unbelievable restraint.  I only had 3 ribs.  But there's a whole plate leftover to last me the rest of the week!!!

Scout
2010-01-12 5:58 PM
in reply to: #2609484

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Spleen - 2010-01-12 10:14 AM
I snoozed on signing up for the Miami 70.3 (sold out last week) so now I have no HIM to cap my season. I'm thinking maybe I do a HIM this summer (Rhode Island?) and finish with an oli in Oct/Nov. Anyone have any suggestions for an east coast fall HIM?

If you're willing to come north, there's Quakerman in September - that will be my HIM debut.  There's also Diamondman in Bear Delaware.  I think that Diamondman is in October.  But if I was you, I'd stay down south.  Lakes tend to get a bit nippy in the fall up here.  I'm sure there are others, but those are the two that I was considering.

Scout
2010-01-12 6:18 PM

User image

Expert
I snoozed on signing up for the Miami 70.3 (sold out last week) so now I have no HIM to cap my season. I'm thinking maybe I do a HIM this summer (Rhode Island?) and finish with an oli in Oct/Nov. Anyone have any suggestions for an east coast fall HIM?

Check out Savageman... not that I'd recommend it, but you've got to check out the website and videos... that looks like the race to put you to the test.  I'm looking for an easy HIM myself this summer... the 3 in consideration currently are White Lake in NC (in May - early, not sure I'll be ready), Rev3 at Cedar Point in Sept (close to my BIL who is also thinking about that one, so there would at least be someone to ride in the ambulance with me... lol), and the Patriot HIM in Williamsburg, VA also in Sept.

Edit:  Relatively easy I meant to say.  No HIM is going to be easy.

Edited by juneapple 2010-01-13 10:17 AM
2010-01-12 6:33 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Spleen - 2010-01-12 11:14 AM
scout21 - 2010-01-11 8:56 AMOur tree is still up too.  And the outside lights...I'm waiting for a day that's not windy, and not frigid before getting up on the ladder to get them down. 

I finally took down my stuff yesterday. It was only about 40-45 degrees, which ordinarily would be unusually cold, but after the cold spell we've had it was almost balmy. With the tree gone I feel like I have half my living room back.

Still to chilly to bike, but I've been hitting the spin bike at the gym, along with a little weight training. Run tomorrow.

There is one in Myrtle Beach in October.  Info is here.  This race is the USAT 'championships' for the half-iron distance, so lots of spots are reserved for qualifiers, but there are also plenty of 'open' spots.  I'm already signed up, so I can say that I'll definitely be there to cheer you on if you decide on that one.  Although I'm not a huge fan of Myrtle Beach, the course looks very very nice.  The swim will be in the Intercostal waterway (= smooth and fast) and the bike (and the run) will be on a totally CLOSED course with smooth roads.  I have no idea how they pulled that one off.  It will be super-flat (there are no hills in the area!) and is shaping up to be a very fast race indeed.

2010-01-12 6:36 PM
in reply to: #2610072

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
TriGuyBri - 2010-01-12 3:15 PM
Experior - 2010-01-12 5:28 AM Good morning all.  No slipping, eh?  You should have told me that last night.  I went out with the family last night and ate too much.  But I guess I must have been somewhat virtuous the rest of the day, because the damage this morning wasn't evident on the scale.

But this week is a 'recovery' week for me -- a bit less volume, as I've been building pretty consistently for a few weeks and I need to recover from that before starting to build again.  So I'll definitely need to be careful about what goes into my mouth!

I hope you all have a great day.  Let us know how you're getting on, and keep those stories of breakthrough workouts coming!  I love it!

I had an Indoor Cycling Class this morning for an hour and will try (depends on the rain) to double up this evening with a 4 mile run.  I am attempting to get my runs in early this week as I will be resting Friday and Sat. in my attempt at my first 10K Race on Sun. 

I am looking at under 60 min. for a goal (very doable) and a stretch goal of 55 min. or less.  If I can sustain a 8:51 min. per mile pace than 55 min. is also doable.  I generally negative split my training runs so even if I am a bit short on the first half I think I can make it up.  I'll have a little laminated card with my mile split goals on it just so I know where I am suppose to be.  I am planning to use my HRM and watch to track my splits.  Don't want to mess with the IPOD Nike + Sensor; too much hassle.

On the weight loss front I seem to be up some last night.  Not sure why; maybe the additional consumption of water this weekend trying to stay extra hydrated.  My weight fluctuates so much from day to day.  Only towards the end of the week does it tend to settle down some and become more regular.  Anyone else with this issue?

As Scout says, it fluctuates.  I would pay more attention to the overall trend.  Like Scout, I weigh myself every day to get a sense of the trend, but my 'official' weigh-in day is Saturday morning.

You look to be in great shape to break that 1hr goal.  I'm excited for you!
2010-01-12 7:01 PM
in reply to: #2555870

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis

I finished 4.5 miles on treadmill tonight. Where are those southern winds? Regarding diet, I was somewhat embarrassed by last week’s performance. I have really upped my protein intake and decreased the carbs in hopes of jump starting some weight loss. Getting enough protein is a real challenge for vegetarians. Drinking protein shakes to make up the difference. Reading all the rib talk has been a little painful, flashbacks of my past carnivore life. Smile

2010-01-12 7:58 PM
in reply to: #2610612

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-01-12 8:01 PM

I finished 4.5 miles on treadmill tonight. Where are those southern winds? Regarding diet, I was somewhat embarrassed by last week’s performance. I have really upped my protein intake and decreased the carbs in hopes of jump starting some weight loss. Getting enough protein is a real challenge for vegetarians. Drinking protein shakes to make up the difference. Reading all the rib talk has been a little painful, flashbacks of my past carnivore life. Smile

I'm totally carnivorous.  (In a trip to Korea last year I think I ate from every branch on the tree of life, much of it recently swimming, galloping, squirming, buzzing, etc..)  But most of our meals at home are veggie.  From what I've read (but I'm no expert on nutrition!) most Americans get way too much protein anyway.  I do know that the more you are training, the more carbs (i.e., higher percentage of your diet) you need.

2010-01-12 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2610692

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Experior - 2010-01-12 7:58 PM

I'm totally carnivorous.  (In a trip to Korea last year I think I ate from every branch on the tree of life, much of it recently swimming, galloping, squirming, buzzing, etc..)  But most of our meals at home are veggie.  From what I've read (but I'm no expert on nutrition!) most Americans get way too much protein anyway.  I do know that the more you are training, the more carbs (i.e., higher percentage of your diet) you need.

I have been on several diets during my overweight, unfit years. This time has been by far my most successful attempt to lose weight. I have concluded after reading so much rubbish, that it really is about calories in verses calories burned and not so much about what specific nutrient ratios you consume. However, I have noticed as I increase my workouts my appetite is going up. Protein really seems to keep my appetite in check. In addition, I think reducing your carbohydrate consumption helps lower your glycogen stores, which in turn helps to reduce excess water. I think the ratio for every gram of glycogen lost, you lose 3 grams of water weight. This helps explain the daily fluctuations of the scale. That is the reason people on low carb diets lose 10 lbs. overnight and get so excited. I just need to do something to get the scale moving in the right direction again.

BTW I have nothing against carnivores. My children are carnivores. Smile

2010-01-13 6:07 AM
in reply to: #2610780

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-01-12 9:47 PM
Experior - 2010-01-12 7:58 PM

I have been on several diets during my overweight, unfit years. This time has been by far my most successful attempt to lose weight. I have concluded after reading so much rubbish, that it really is about calories in verses calories burned and not so much about what specific nutrient ratios you consume. However, I have noticed as I increase my workouts my appetite is going up. Protein really seems to keep my appetite in check. In addition, I think reducing your carbohydrate consumption helps lower your glycogen stores, which in turn helps to reduce excess water. I think the ratio for every gram of glycogen lost, you lose 3 grams of water weight. This helps explain the daily fluctuations of the scale. That is the reason people on low carb diets lose 10 lbs. overnight and get so excited. I just need to do something to get the scale moving in the right direction again.

BTW I have nothing against carnivores. My children are carnivores. Smile

I agree with all that, especially the calories in vs calories burned part.  I wasn't really talking about 'diet' to lose weight so much as what most people who are training a lot need.  That glycogen is a lot of what we burn when we train.  (Hopefully we're burning a good deal of fat too!  We are...)  So they say, at least, that you need to eat the carbs to replace the glycogen that you burn in training.

But I also think that diet is highly individual.  What works for one might not work for another.  The main thing is to pay attention and try to learn what works for oneself.

I definitely also have the issue of increased appetite when my training volume goes up.  I'm interested in your observation about protein reducing appetite in that circumstance.  (I will watch myself and see whether that works for me.)  Swimming seems to do it to me most of all.  After a long swim I could eat a horse -- a tofu horse, of course.  Smile

2010-01-13 6:11 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Good morning everyone.  What's on tap for today?  I've got a swim this morning (I hope, if all goes well at work) and a run later today.  I hope we all have a great day today.  It looks like it will be (relatively) warmer today for most of us, at least.
2010-01-13 6:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Hi Michael and everyone else....headed to the pool after I put my son on the bus.  Last night's ribs didn't do any weight loss damage!  Now to resist the leftovers today....

I also agree with the swimming/appetite connection.  After a long run or bike, I'm not necessarily hungry, and in fact I'm not sure that I could eat much of anything.  But after a swim, you'd better not be standing between me and the fridge!

Scout
2010-01-13 6:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Michael,

Here is a short article that describes how increase protein intake reduces appetite. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/33369.php It's short and not a scientific paper, but references several scientiific sources that can be looked up.

Workout schedule this afternoon: 1200m swim workout followed by spinning class. 

Edited by StlPhil 2010-01-13 6:58 AM
2010-01-13 9:39 AM

New user

WRT weight loss, I've found that every body is different and responds to differently to various diets.  For me, I  found that a low-glycemic index diet helped me go from 230's to 170's.  Having struggled with it for my entire life, I do hope that you find something that works for you. 

Now the fun stuff:  Registration just opened and I am officially entered in my first triathlons.  I've signed up for 4 this year (it's a short season here in New England).

I got my upper body ST in this morning and will be hitting the hotel pool for some TI drills tonight.

- Mark, OneFastMule

Edited by ciscoatg 2010-01-13 9:40 AM
2010-01-13 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
raining this morning so just circuit training plus a few extra leg and chest exercises. i miis swimming and can wait until the "maintenance" is finished.

2010-01-13 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2611493

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
ciscoatg - 2010-01-13 9:39 AM WRT weight loss, I've found that every body is different and responds to differently to various diets.  For me, I  found that a low-glycemic index diet helped me go from 230's to 170's.  Having struggled with it for my entire life, I do hope that you find something that works for you. 

I found the perfect weight loss program: EAT LESS / TRAIN FOR TRIATHLON. Pretty simple, but requires some effort. Cool 

Phil
2010-01-13 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Thanks for the HIM suggestions folks. MiamiMan I did last year and it's still an option, but I didn't really love the race. Dead flat, but oddly inconvenient to get to even though it's close. My buddy is doing Rhode Island this year, but it's the same week-end as a really cool local race that's a fraction of the cost. Plus, I hear that race is a little whacky w/ 2 different transition areas and some rough roads. Savageman is on my triatlon bucket list, but I don't think I'm ready to really "race" it yet. I'd have to figure out a way to train for hills. That Myrtle Beach one looks pretty cool and it is in driving distance, I'm gonna put it on the short list.

What to you guys budget per year for race fees? I was thinking $500 would be a safe number, but I'm figuring out that will get me one HIM, one Oli and maybe 2 sprints. If I had my way I think I'd do 4 sprints, 2 Olis and a HIM and that's more like $750. Then again if I spend more on race fees this year, at least I won't be buying all the new tri gear like I did last year. And then throw in the $4K I'm not spending on a TT bike this year while I ride my second-hand Specialized Allez and I'm practically lining my pockets with money.
2010-01-13 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2611849

User image

Expert
Salem
StlPhil - 2010-01-13 9:51 AM
ciscoatg - 2010-01-13 9:39 AM WRT weight loss, I've found that every body is different and responds to differently to various diets.  For me, I  found that a low-glycemic index diet helped me go from 230's to 170's.  Having struggled with it for my entire life, I do hope that you find something that works for you. 

I found the perfect weight loss program: EAT LESS / TRAIN FOR TRIATHLON. Pretty simple, but requires some effort. Cool 

Phil

I think eating and having the right foods in reaching distance when I am hungry is a big part of it for me.  Otherwise I am just grabbing what is available no matter if it the best choice or not.  I can still eat a normal amt. but the food choices are better and portion control as well.
2010-01-13 12:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Spleen, I volunteer at some races to cut down on the race fees.  Of the 5 races I'm doing this year, I'm paying for 2. I'm not sure if that's something local to me or not but it sure helps keep the lovely wife more supportive of the hobby!!

2010-01-13 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2611923

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Sammeg - 2010-01-13 12:24 PM Spleen, I volunteer at some races to cut down on the race fees.  Of the 5 races I'm doing this year, I'm paying for 2. I'm not sure if that's something local to me or not but it sure helps keep the lovely wife more supportive of the hobby!!

That's a good idea.  I'll have to look into it...  I ball-parked about $500 for tris and bigger races.   But I'm a bargain hunter too....Delaware 1/2 mary is only $50, where R-n-R Philly is $80.  I also do the less expensive tri's that are in the $60 range and are close to home.  I'm lucky in that my hometown has a big running scene and there are 5k's just about every weekend to pick from to keep motivation up and to look to keep lowering the 5k pr.

Scout

On edit:  I just received a response email from the RD of the races that I plan to do this summer...If you volunteer at a race and stay for the whole race, you get a voucher for a future race!  OUTSTANDING!  I think the number of races that I'm going to do this summer just went up!

Edited by scout21 2010-01-13 3:44 PM

2010-01-13 7:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Got a good spinning class in tonight 1:24:27. Was going to get a swim in tonight. No lap lanes open. This 1st of the year thing is really cramping my style. I love kids, but lessons are taking up a lot of space at the Y's pool. I might have to explore other options so I have more flexibilty. Any suggestions for any chain gyms?
2010-01-13 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2612770

User image

Expert
I've got a great new way to cut down your calorie in-take at dinner.  Eat black beans for lunch, then run really hard after work.  Definitely don't feel much like eating for awhile after that :-)

So two goodies came today - the Racing Weight book - just in time to be the plane reading materials for my trip to Michigan, and the freebie DVD that came with the USAT membership.  Watched just the beginning of it and seemed to suggest leaning forward a bit more on the run than I do, so I tried it on this evening's run.  Seemed to be something to it.  That was, however, before I was cursing Michael on the interval training ;-)

Stu
2010-01-13 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2612857

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
juneapple - 2010-01-13 9:31 PM I've got a great new way to cut down your calorie in-take at dinner.  Eat black beans for lunch, then run really hard after work.  Definitely don't feel much like eating for awhile after that :-)

So two goodies came today - the Racing Weight book - just in time to be the plane reading materials for my trip to Michigan, and the freebie DVD that came with the USAT membership.  Watched just the beginning of it and seemed to suggest leaning forward a bit more on the run than I do, so I tried it on this evening's run.  Seemed to be something to it.  That was, however, before I was cursing Michael on the interval training ;-)

Stu

Ha Ha!  So now we're trading curses.  (Though I didnb't curse you today during my kick drills.  It's getting a little easier.  A little.)

A slight forward lean is not a bad thing on the run.  Just try to be sure that it is a 'whole body' lean.  Don't do it by bending at the waist.  At least, that's my take on things.
2010-01-13 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2612770

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-01-13 8:43 PM Got a good spinning class in tonight 1:24:27. Was going to get a swim in tonight. No lap lanes open. This 1st of the year thing is really cramping my style. I love kids, but lessons are taking up a lot of space at the Y's pool. I might have to explore other options so I have more flexibilty. Any suggestions for any chain gyms?

No chains around here (apart from the Y) so I can't help you there.  Our local city gyms is actually very good, and that's where I swim.

Is there not a practice of sharing lanes at your gym?  For the most part, where I swim, folks will go up to 4-5 per lane (circle swimming) at the busiest times, though that is rarely necessary.  But normally it is necessary to split a lane, which I've rarely found to be a problem.  (Once I split a lane with some guy who apparently thought that the 'shower before swimming' rule could be satisfied by dowsing himself in cheap cologne.  Ugh.  That was a problem.)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46