BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-02-02 6:29 PM
in reply to: #2651071

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED
i'm actually indifferent because i love talking triathlon and few people around me care to listen...so it's great to be able to "unload" on athletes this stuff.

ha ha ha

SSMinnow - 2010-02-02 6:26 PM Tracy

You are probably Steve's dream athlete!  I'm polar opposite.  I always want to know the details of why I am doing new things and how it will affect long term performance. I'm the same way in my career. I'm sure I drive "people" crazy sometimes.

TracyV - 2010-02-02 7:36 AM Steve, the above post is exactly why YOU are my coach. Your breadth of knowledge and understanding of such complexities is truly amazing. I know this sounds like an kissy post, but it is true.

People often look at my logs and ask my why I am doing this or that at this time of year, etc. I simply say...my coach has a plan for me. I don't question it, I just do it. I leave the details up to him. That is what I pay him for. I don't care to be an expert on anything other than how hard can I push through a race and what podium position does it give me.

Thanks for another great post Steve.

2010-02-02 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2651071

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
Suzy, I highly doubt that.

SSMinnow - 2010-02-02 6:26 PM Tracy

You are probably Steve's dream athlete!  I'm polar opposite.  I always want to know the details of why I am doing new things and how it will affect long term performance. I'm the same way in my career. I'm sure I drive "people" crazy sometimes.

TracyV - 2010-02-02 7:36 AM Steve, the above post is exactly why YOU are my coach. Your breadth of knowledge and understanding of such complexities is truly amazing. I know this sounds like an kissy post, but it is true.

People often look at my logs and ask my why I am doing this or that at this time of year, etc. I simply say...my coach has a plan for me. I don't question it, I just do it. I leave the details up to him. That is what I pay him for. I don't care to be an expert on anything other than how hard can I push through a race and what podium position does it give me.

Thanks for another great post Steve.
2010-02-03 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2559007

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: Sculling

I was flipping through my Swim Workouts in a Binder and saw sculling in a couple of the WU sessions.  I have never done them before but wondering what good, if any, they serve and what the proper way to do them is?

Ryan

2010-02-03 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2651932

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Sculling
swimming is all about "feel" and instilling good technique allows the swimmer to really "feel" if their body is in good position, they are well balanced through the entire stroke cycle...creating a foundation to generate power, etc.

sculling is a drill for more "advanced" swimmers and allows the swimmer to get a good "feel" of the water at/in their palms.  a video of sculling can be seen here.

i rarely, if ever, use the sculling drill for my athletes because it produces the sensation of truly "pulling" water behind you and causes (over time) swimmers to power through their stroke.  the result can be shortened stroke, shorter distance per stroke.

I stress elongation, power from the core, and high elbows (effectuated through fist drills) more because this focuses the swimmer on truly getting efficient and slippery through the water.

If a swimmer has great elbow position in the power phase of their stroke then sometimes I use sculling, but more often than not I typically then begin the use of paddles to create power in their shoulders and lats directly related to swimming.

rymac - 2010-02-03 8:57 AM

I was flipping through my Swim Workouts in a Binder and saw sculling in a couple of the WU sessions.  I have never done them before but wondering what good, if any, they serve and what the proper way to do them is?

Ryan

Edited by Steve- 2010-02-03 9:52 AM
2010-02-05 9:09 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Steve

How about another swimming question?  I came across the article below am an wondering what you think about it.  Specifically, I am wondering at what point you decide your stroke is good enough and you should be working on propulsion techniques....

Very broadly there are two ways to become a better swimmer:

a) You can reduce your drag by slipping through the water more easily. You'd achieve this through a better body position and better streamlining.

b) You can increase your propulsion for the same level of physical effort. You'd achieve this by developing your catch, pull, rhythm and timing.

Both of these would increase your overall swimming efficiency. Increased efficiency means you go faster for the same effort, or the same speed for less effort.

So which is more important? What should be my priority?

poor propulsion
That depends on you. If your drag is very high working on your propulsion will only bring you small gains in speed. Instead, working on improved streamlining and body position will boost your efficiency and so your speed.

Alternatively, if you have been swimming for a good while and have been told you have a nice stroke but are still slow, a focus on propulsion makes sense. If you are in this situation we know how frustrating it is to be told you are doing everything right but you aren't making any speed improvements. This is more disconcerting than for someone who has a clear problem to fix! Start focusing on the right thing and you too can make big strides forward.

If you have access to a coach, ask them to watch you swim and tell you whether drag or propulsion is a priority in your stroke. If you don't have a coach, next week on Feel For The Water we'll be posting some techniques you can use to determine which area is a priority for your individual stroke. It's one of the most useful facts to understand about your swimming.

2010-02-05 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2656701

User image

Elite
Chicago
So let me just start out by level setting everyone as to why the article is mentioning why it is (1) efficiency first then (2) propulsion next.

When you're running or cycling, you have the ground as a "foundation."  However, waterborne operations are executed in a liquid environment; which lack this foundation.  Consequently, balance is the most important aspect to learn in swimming because of this lack of foundation.  Once an athlete obtains balance control in the water they can then build on this and move to working on proper body position from this balance control. 

Balance and body position are the two primary drivers that create hydrodynamic efficiency for humans in a liquid environment.  Because water is approximately 800 times more dense than air, inefficient movements are extremely unforgiving and their effect is, well, multiplied by 800 times when compared to inefficient movements in an air environment.  Consequently, if the focus for swim speed improvement is on propulsion prior to good solid efficiency, the athlete will very quickly understand the comment in the article "If your drag is very high working on your propulsion will only bring you small gains in speed."  I refer to this concept as the Exponential Inefficiency Increase Curve (pretty fancy huh?  I sure hope so because it took me a whole 13 seconds to think up a name for it...ha ha ha).  The EIIC is just a $30,000 term I use to describe the phenomenon that a swimmer can actually exert MORE energy in the water but actually swim slower and this same swimmer (with proper training) can actually exert LESS energy in the water but actually swim faster.  The EIIC very rarely exists in activities executed in an air environment.  It is because the existance of the EIIC that efficiency should be the initial focus for speed improvement.

Everyone level set?  Good.

Now, to answer your question of at what point the decision should be made that your stroke is "good enough" that you can begin to work on propulsion techniques.  The answer is not as simple as you might expect.  Efficiency improvement work and propulsion improvement work do not occur in silos; meaning, when you're working on efficiency you are also working on propulsion but you just don't know it (or if you do, you shouldn't be focusing on it) and vice versa.  The reason: as you become better balanced in the water and have better body position in the water your "feel" for the water improves and with this improvement of feel you also begin to inadvertently (however slight) begin to improve your propulsion capabilities.  Conversely, when you're "working on" improving your propulsion you also inadvertently (however slight) continue to improve (or maintain) your efficiency.

Blah, blah, blah, blah...right?  Well, kinda....if I gave you the quick answer I would be giving you a fish to eat rather than teaching you to fish. 

It is my professional opinion that if you have good body position and balance as determined by a professional swim coach, it would be a good time to begin working on propulsion improvement.  What if you don't have access to a professional swim coach or your professional swim coach may have led you astray...you may ask?  Then I would BROADLY quantify a change in focus to begin at the point in which you can swim 10 x 100m with 15 sec rest in between in a time of 1:50-1:55.  However, this is a dangerous comment I just made because everyone reading this post is now doing math in their head and trying to determine if they have the ability to hit this mark.  Unfortunately there are several factors that will cause this statement I just made to not be true (hence the reason to have the determination made by a professional swim coach).  One example of these factors is powerful upper body strength allowing a swimmer to power through the water at 1:50s on the 100s but still not swim parallel to the water's surface (I have one of them in my Master's swim class actually).  That's why it's very important to get a professional opinion rendered on your stroke.

Is everyone still awake out there? 

SSMinnow - 2010-02-05 9:09 AM Steve

How about another swimming question?  I came across the article below am an wondering what you think about it.  Specifically, I am wondering at what point you decide your stroke is good enough and you should be working on propulsion techniques....

a) You can reduce your drag by slipping through the water more easily. You'd achieve this through a better body position and better streamlining.

b) You can increase your propulsion for the same level of physical effort. You'd achieve this by developing your catch, pull, rhythm and timing.

Both of these would increase your overall swimming efficiency. Increased efficiency means you go faster for the same effort, or the same speed for less effort.

poor propulsion
That depends on you. If your drag is very high working on your propulsion will only bring you small gains in speed. Instead, working on improved streamlining and body position will boost your efficiency and so your speed.

Alternatively, if you have been swimming for a good while and have been told you have a nice stroke but are still slow, a focus on propulsion makes sense. If you are in this situation we know how frustrating it is to be told you are doing everything right but you aren't making any speed improvements. This is more disconcerting than for someone who has a clear problem to fix! Start focusing on the right thing and you too can make big strides forward.

If you have access to a coach, ask them to watch you swim and tell you whether drag or propulsion is a priority in your stroke. If you don't have a coach, next week on Feel For The Water we'll be posting some techniques you can use to determine which area is a priority for your individual stroke. It's one of the most useful facts to understand about your swimming.

2010-02-05 6:14 PM
in reply to: #2657608

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

haha!  I actually thought your EIIC curve makes alot of sense.  I have read "Going Long" a couple times and they say basically that 1:50/100 is a point where you can start adding muscular endurance type work (propulsion) which is in line with you.

I have an add-on question.  Can somebody doing say 1:30 to 1:40 per 100 get down to 1:10 to 1:15 per 100 just focusing on propulsion improvement?  Or...does it need to be a balance of both technique improvment and propulsion before that happens?

Ryan

2010-02-05 6:49 PM

User image

Champion
Excellent response and fairly witty given the dryness of the topic.  Makes total sense, but.......

1. Is there some science behind the 1:50-1:55?
2. How does this equate to OWS? and long distance triathlon times per 100?

As someone well south of the 1:50 reference, I understand the value of a swim coach evaluating the situtation. 

Steve- - 2010-02-05 3:07 PM So let me just start out by level setting everyone as to why the article is mentioning why it is (1) efficiency first then (2) propulsion next.

When you're running or cycling, you have the ground as a "foundation."  However, waterborne operations are executed in a liquid environment; which lack this foundation.  Consequently, balance is the most important aspect to learn in swimming because of this lack of foundation.  Once an athlete obtains balance control in the water they can then build on this and move to working on proper body position from this balance control. 

Balance and body position are the two primary drivers that create hydrodynamic efficiency for humans in a liquid environment.  Because water is approximately 800 times more dense than air, inefficient movements are extremely unforgiving and their effect is, well, multiplied by 800 times when compared to inefficient movements in an air environment.  Consequently, if the focus for swim speed improvement is on propulsion prior to good solid efficiency, the athlete will very quickly understand the comment in the article "If your drag is very high working on your propulsion will only bring you small gains in speed."  I refer to this concept as the Exponential Inefficiency Increase Curve (pretty fancy huh?  I sure hope so because it took me a whole 13 seconds to think up a name for it...ha ha ha).  The EIIC is just a $30,000 term I use to describe the phenomenon that a swimmer can actually exert MORE energy in the water but actually swim slower and this same swimmer (with proper training) can actually exert LESS energy in the water but actually swim faster.  The EIIC very rarely exists in activities executed in an air environment.  It is because the existance of the EIIC that efficiency should be the initial focus for speed improvement.

Everyone level set?  Good.

Now, to answer your question of at what point the decision should be made that your stroke is "good enough" that you can begin to work on propulsion techniques.  The answer is not as simple as you might expect.  Efficiency improvement work and propulsion improvement work do not occur in silos; meaning, when you're working on efficiency you are also working on propulsion but you just don't know it (or if you do, you shouldn't be focusing on it) and vice versa.  The reason: as you become better balanced in the water and have better body position in the water your "feel" for the water improves and with this improvement of feel you also begin to inadvertently (however slight) begin to improve your propulsion capabilities.  Conversely, when you're "working on" improving your propulsion you also inadvertently (however slight) continue to improve (or maintain) your efficiency.

Blah, blah, blah, blah...right?  Well, kinda....if I gave you the quick answer I would be giving you a fish to eat rather than teaching you to fish. 

It is my professional opinion that if you have good body position and balance as determined by a professional swim coach, it would be a good time to begin working on propulsion improvement.  What if you don't have access to a professional swim coach or your professional swim coach may have led you astray...you may ask?  Then I would BROADLY quantify a change in focus to begin at the point in which you can swim 10 x 100m with 15 sec rest in between in a time of 1:50-1:55.  However, this is a dangerous comment I just made because everyone reading this post is now doing math in their head and trying to determine if they have the ability to hit this mark.  Unfortunately there are several factors that will cause this statement I just made to not be true (hence the reason to have the determination made by a professional swim coach).  One example of these factors is powerful upper body strength allowing a swimmer to power through the water at 1:50s on the 100s but still not swim parallel to the water's surface (I have one of them in my Master's swim class actually).  That's why it's very important to get a professional opinion rendered on your stroke.

SSMinnow - 2010-02-05 9:09 AM Steve

poor propulsion

2010-02-05 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
I have drool coming out of mouth and my snore just woke me up. I am confused. Maybe it is just my blond hair. I was under the impression that even the pros still work on improving their stroke. Isn't that the only way to get faster??

Edited by TracyV 2010-02-05 7:45 PM
2010-02-05 8:00 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Steve- - 2010-02-05 4:07 PM

...swim 10 x 100m with 15 sec rest in between in a time of 1:50-1:55

Wow, I'm in the boat wondering IF I can do this.  I'll find out Monday. However, I still that coach in the water with me.

*beating head on the wall*  I want to go faster!

I did find a swim coach (a girl I met last year while racing) who is willing to work with me for $200/5 hours.  That's her regular coaching rate and has a strong swimming background.  Distance is the limiter, though she is still in Mid-Michigan.
2010-02-05 9:57 PM
in reply to: #2658004

User image

Elite
Chicago
1)  no science behind it from my end; just based on the people I've seen swimming in my past 14 years in the sport.  On average, the people that swim 1:50ish or better seem to have "found their balance" and have good body position; but not all.  actually I'm giving swim lessons to someone currently that is SUPER slow in the water (yes, SS, she is slower than you...) but has unbelievable form.  She is an outlier and one of the reasons that made me hesitate with the 1:50ish number because I KNEW everyone would hyperfocus on that non-scientific point.

2)  I don't know because I have only been a spectator at 2 triathlons in my life so I don't have the ability to opine.  I have seen hundreds and hundreds athletes swim in the pool and knew what their 100 times were when watching them, but don't have that reference available to me for OWS...sry.

SSMinnow - 2010-02-05 6:49 PM Excellent response and fairly witty given the dryness of the topic.  Makes total sense, but.......

1. Is there some science behind the 1:50-1:55?
2. How does this equate to OWS? and long distance triathlon times per 100?

As someone well south of the 1:50 reference, I understand the value of a swim coach evaluating the situtation. 

Edited by Steve- 2010-02-05 9:58 PM

2010-02-05 10:01 PM
in reply to: #2658099

User image

Elite
Chicago
what??  i'm so surprised to hear that coming from a scientist...specifically a Limnologist who just finished some probably very very "exciting" graduate school work. 

to answer your question, it's my opinion based on my own observation of swimmers that efficiency and propulsion work begin to converge around the 1:15-1:25ish 100 times.

TracyV - 2010-02-05 7:44 PM I have drool coming out of mouth and my snore just woke me up. I am confused. Maybe it is just my blond hair. I was under the impression that even the pros still work on improving their stroke. Isn't that the only way to get faster??

Edited by Steve- 2010-02-05 10:02 PM
2010-02-05 10:03 PM
in reply to: #2658120

User image

Elite
Chicago
keep working.  swimming is one of the sports (similar to golf) that does not come "naturally"...you have to work at it to make changes.

JHagerman - 2010-02-05 8:00 PM
Steve- - 2010-02-05 4:07 PM

...swim 10 x 100m with 15 sec rest in between in a time of 1:50-1:55

Wow, I'm in the boat wondering IF I can do this.  I'll find out Monday. However, I still that coach in the water with me.

*beating head on the wall*  I want to go faster!

I did find a swim coach (a girl I met last year while racing) who is willing to work with me for $200/5 hours.  That's her regular coaching rate and has a strong swimming background.  Distance is the limiter, though she is still in Mid-Michigan.
2010-02-08 6:30 AM

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Sorry.  Been out a while.  Been lurking but not thinking of much to add to the conversation.  Steve, thanks for the tips on swimming. Combined with my swim class I have made big advances in my stroke.   I had to ratchet back my training for a bit due to an inflamed bursis in the knee.  I have decided to concentrate on endurance rather than trying to increase my speed at the same time, so I think I'm back on track. #1 goal is to finish these events, right?
2010-02-08 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2660643

User image

Champion
Welcome back Kevin! As a fellow rehaber, it is important to get to the start of that race so getting your knee back in working order should be priority #1.  That's pretty much what I have been doing for the last three months.  When does your training plan start?

knewbike - 2010-02-08 6:30 AM Sorry.  Been out a while.  Been lurking but not thinking of much to add to the conversation.  Steve, thanks for the tips on swimming. Combined with my swim class I have made big advances in my stroke.   I had to ratchet back my training for a bit due to an inflamed bursis in the knee.  I have decided to concentrate on endurance rather than trying to increase my speed at the same time, so I think I'm back on track. #1 goal is to finish these events, right?
2010-02-08 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2660643

User image

Elite
Chicago
knewbike - 2010-02-08 6:30 AM Sorry.  Been out a while.  Been lurking but not thinking of much to add to the conversation.  Steve, thanks for the tips on swimming. Combined with my swim class I have made big advances in my stroke.   I had to ratchet back my training for a bit due to an inflamed bursis in the knee.  I have decided to concentrate on endurance rather than trying to increase my speed at the same time, so I think I'm back on track. #1 goal is to finish these events, right?

increasing intensity and endurance at the same time is very risky (as you've found out).  x2 for SS...getting healthy is key.  One of the most difficult things for new triathletes to do is to get through training and to the start line with no injuries.

2010-02-09 4:37 AM
in reply to: #2662318

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
I'm in the middle of a marathon training program now.  I've been cross training a bit on the bike and throwing in a swim here and there.  When the marathon is over (April 25)  I will merge into the begining weeks of a full IM program.

SSMinnow - 2010-02-08 8:26 PM Welcome back Kevin! As a fellow rehaber, it is important to get to the start of that race so getting your knee back in working order should be priority #1.  That's pretty much what I have been doing for the last three months.  When does your training plan start?

2010-02-09 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida

OK I started my Half IM training plan on BT today (1 day late, that's life) and it called for 50mins Run with the 30 minute main set (10mins WU and CD) @ AT.  Oh man, I couldn't handle it.  This was a first for me:  my cardio was fine, in that my breathing was within reason and my heart rate wasn't skyrocketing, but my legs were just getting burnt.  I had to slow down and the session turned into intervals by default b/c I couldn't handle the pace for more than 5 minutes.

I just wanted to plug this into our blog and be accountable.  I guess I'm going to have to wait until my connective tissues catch up to where my cardio is...

2010-02-09 6:06 PM

User image

Champion
Interestingly enough I came across this article which sort of seems like it stemmed from a conversation we were having about Zone 3 several posts ago.  I believe the author popped in our MG to give his POV.  At first, I thought the author was saying Z3 wasn't all that important.  I guess I misinterpreted it??

I do have a question on the hypothesis that spending time in Z1/2 in the off-season is sort of a waste since the risk of injury is low.   Steve, thoughts?  Your prior post makes me feel like you think it is important to widen the base...anything else?
2010-02-10 5:57 PM
in reply to: #2664484

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: Kick Sets

I feel like this topic gets beaten to a pulp on the BT boards with two different camps but interested to hear your take Steve.  I do not do a ton of kick sets in my swim workouts but alot of the swim workouts in the near future have them prescribed.  Should these be a staple in every swimmers workouts?  I just use a two beat kick in my swimming and seems to work well but wondering what the benefit of more kick sets would mean to my times.  It currently takes me about 1:20 to kick 50 yards which is bad I am sure.  Should I be concerned about that or is it just a minor thing in the big picture of swimming?

Ryan

2010-02-10 6:34 PM

User image

New user

Boston, MA
I've been practicing some of the swimming drills/techniques recently and my 100 time over shorter distances has been slowly getting faster, but my longer distance swims seem perpetually stuck at "slow". I know that its my first triathlon season, so its just a matter of putting in the time and the endurance will come, but its still kinda frustrating.

In response to J, I'm glad your wife is doing better. In addition, DVT's generally occur after someone has had a surgery or in people who have recently been on a plane. I know the reasoning for the plane is that sitting for hours and the pressure change can cause them to show up. Did the doctors say that your wife's incident could possibly be due to sitting in the car for too long?

Also, I've met a few people who have had to perform CPR before (fortunately I haven't), but it seems to be a rather traumatic event for everyone involved and it helps the CPR performer usually to let it out and talk about the experience. I had a classmate in undergrad who had to perform CPR on someone on his way to class one day. He was so shook up by it that he ended up skipping class. Unfortunately for him, he couldn't revive the person before the ambulance came so he couldn't help but think what ended up being the result at the hospital.

2010-02-10 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2666750

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Kick Sets
Kick sets have minimal benefit to improving 2-beat kicking effectivness but flutter kick drill sets help to strengthen hip flexors if that's an issue of weakness. Its important to note that too strong hip flexors can cause incorrect hip movement when running so use it with caution if at all as injury could result.
rymac - 2010-02-10 5:57 PM

I feel like this topic gets beaten to a pulp on the BT boards with two different camps but interested to hear your take Steve.  I do not do a ton of kick sets in my swim workouts but alot of the swim workouts in the near future have them prescribed.  Should these be a staple in every swimmers workouts?  I just use a two beat kick in my swimming and seems to work well but wondering what the benefit of more kick sets would mean to my times.  It currently takes me about 1:20 to kick 50 yards which is bad I am sure.  Should I be concerned about that or is it just a minor thing in the big picture of swimming?

Ryan

2010-02-10 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2666750

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
Subject: RE: Kick Sets
I have a really, really hard time with kick sets. They exhaust me. 50 yards feels like 200. I am super glad my coach doesn't give me very many!!

rymac - 2010-02-10 5:57 PM

Ryan

Edited by TracyV 2010-02-10 7:26 PM
2010-02-12 6:54 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN

LBS etiquette question.

I’m going to buy my first tri bike with some of my tax return.  I’ve been watching craigslist and looking online at some of the local shops, and it seems I’ll get more for my money buying used.  However, I don’t know much about fit on a tri bike.  So my idea is to go to a few LBSs and try some bikes, different brands and sizes, then look for something like that used.  Would it then be rude/bad form to go back to the most helpful LBS and pay for a fit on a bike I bought used?  Would I be using the shops I didn’t give any money to?

Dustin

2010-02-13 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2669306

User image

Champion
Dustin--One option might be to go get an aero fit at your LBS to make sure you know exactly what you need.  You can at least give them your budget and see if they can find a suitable stock bike for you.  If not, tell them exactly what you are going to do (buy used based on the fit sheet) and bring it back to them for the final fitting. A friend of mine did that because she knew she could never afford the LBS prices.  They had no issue with it at all.

DTraitor - 2010-02-12 6:54 AM

LBS etiquette question.

I’m going to buy my first tri bike with some of my tax return.  I’ve been watching craigslist and looking online at some of the local shops, and it seems I’ll get more for my money buying used.  However, I don’t know much about fit on a tri bike.  So my idea is to go to a few LBSs and try some bikes, different brands and sizes, then look for something like that used.  Would it then be rude/bad form to go back to the most helpful LBS and pay for a fit on a bike I bought used?  Would I be using the shops I didn’t give any money to?

Dustin

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21