BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-03-28 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2559007

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED
Congrats to Kim for knocking the cover off the ball at her half ironman this past weekend and clocking in a 20+ min PR of 5:51.  Between that and her Boston qualifying race in December....she's hitting on all cylinders.  We're proud of you KT65 !!

2010-03-28 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
KIM!  Great job on your HalfIM yesterday.  I can't wait to see the Race Report and hear how you are doing.  Steve writes that you had a 20 minute PR...SNAP!

Oh Snap!

Oh, and by the way, I'm jealous that you got to race sooo early in the season.  I hope you are riding high today. 
2010-03-29 7:14 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Hey all. Whats up?????  Yes, I am still alive.  Actually, did my first outdoor ride on Sunday, and I NEED to get in the saddle more often.  I have really been focused on running, so I knew it was coming.  Not surprisingly, all my run mileage has not helped my biking

Some other things to fully catch me up:

JHaggerman - Nice bike
Eddie - Nice 5K
Trainer tire - get the conti trainer tire (made for trainer-its orange and lasts 4-ever)
Great HIM Kim!  Kick @ss!  21 minutes is HUGE.

Agree with Steve on all his feedback.  Although, I disagree a little on buying race wheels IF (and big if)  you already have a coach, aerohelmet, and a good bike fit, and  of course the means to purchase them.  The first 3 give you much more bang for the buck than race wheels. 

Race season starts for me in April (although I did have a course 1/2 mary PR last weekend).  I might even shave my legs

2010-03-30 12:18 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Thanks so much guys...here is the race report

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=201543

I feel really normal today even after driving 470 miles back home yesterday. 
Can't wait for everyone else to start their first tri's of the season! 

Kim
2010-04-01 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida

Veggie Question for you:

I am on day 4 and counting of not eating meat.  I've been trying to get loads of veggies, raw veggies and fruit in me over the week so far and I'm really happy with my results.  Most meals have been accompanied with some sort of carb like pasta or rice.  My work schedule/day changed to 7am-4pm instead of 11am-8pm and I have a lot of energy despite the early wake-up now.

My concern is my protein intake.  I'm not turning into a vegetarian per se, but I do recognize the benefits of limiting red meat and increasing fruit and vegetable intake.  I just remembered that I didn't even have a protein shake which I usually have 3-4 times a week (after a workout). 

Specific to training and recovery (using the 16 week HIM plan on BT), what should I be doing in regards to protein, and any other nutrients/vitamins that you think I should be getting.

Thanks,
Eddie

2010-04-01 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Look into the Vega products. It is vegan, but to add in to what you are doing without specifically going vegan/vegetarian... this may be an great option.

2010-04-04 4:14 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Well, I did my first tri yesterday - really enjoyed it; except for the ows!  Because of the cold weather and my lack of wet suit, I was not able to do any ows practice and boy did I pay for that mistake.  First, I started too fast, then I started to breath every stroke trying to catch my breath and get into any type of rhythm; however, rather than finding a rhythm I started to panic that I couldn't see where I was going, so with each breath I also started siting.  Obviously, my stroke suffered greatly.  That "technique" really wears you out!  It was only a 400m swim and it took me 11:44.  When I exited the swim I was so gassed I was light headed.  It then took me over 5 minutes to run the .2 miles to the transition and get myself out the gate for the bike.  From there things got better and I settled into the race.  I spent some time on the bike being angry with the swim and complaining to myself about what a tough swim I had.  I stopped doing that when I saw a competitor had no right arm and only about 2/3 of his left arm.  His swim obviously was much harder - sort of put things into perspective.

Finished strongly (for me) on the bike and had a good run.  All in all I enjoyed the experience and will definitely do more!  In fact, the next one is in May.  The swim is 750m, so I will be hitting the lake for ows practice!

Funny thing, I placed second in my AG.  Of course, there were only 4 of us, but I'm going to leave that detail out when I tell the story to others

Ann-Marie
2010-04-04 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2767682

User image

Elite
san francisco
amd723 - 2010-04-04 2:14 PM Well, I did my first tri yesterday - really enjoyed it; except for the ows!  Because of the cold weather and my lack of wet suit, I was not able to do any ows practice and boy did I pay for that mistake.  First, I started too fast, then I started to breath every stroke trying to catch my breath and get into any type of rhythm; however, rather than finding a rhythm I started to panic that I couldn't see where I was going, so with each breath I also started siting.  Obviously, my stroke suffered greatly.  That "technique" really wears you out!  It was only a 400m swim and it took me 11:44.  When I exited the swim I was so gassed I was light headed.  It then took me over 5 minutes to run the .2 miles to the transition and get myself out the gate for the bike.  From there things got better and I settled into the race.  I spent some time on the bike being angry with the swim and complaining to myself about what a tough swim I had.  I stopped doing that when I saw a competitor had no right arm and only about 2/3 of his left arm.  His swim obviously was much harder - sort of put things into perspective.

Finished strongly (for me) on the bike and had a good run.  All in all I enjoyed the experience and will definitely do more!  In fact, the next one is in May.  The swim is 750m, so I will be hitting the lake for ows practice!

Funny thing, I placed second in my AG.  Of course, there were only 4 of us, but I'm going to leave that detail out when I tell the story to others

Ann-Marie

Great job, Ann marie!  2nd in AG is still 2nd in AG!  The best part is it sounds like you had a good time and you will be doing some ows practice.  That is and has been my nemesis, but this spring/summer, I want it to be my friend! 
2010-04-04 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2767760

User image

Master
Orlando
Thanks Kim.  I think I'll have an even better time when I get that dreaded ows at least slightly under control.  Don't think I'll ever get close to your performance (btw, belated congrats on your race, great job), but since I know there is lots of room for improvement I have hope for a better next race
2010-04-16 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
bump

Where is everybody?  Did I miss something?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21