BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-06 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3282587

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED!
mackjenn - 2011-01-06 12:27 PM

Nothing special to post, but I'll relay a conversation I had with myself last night.  During my commute home I was thinking about the racquetball friend I saw during my swim - we were both sponsored racquetball players playing at a national level (armature) few years back and although I have not played in 6 years, he has continued.  I started thinking about playing again and the differences between my swimming and his, as well as my condition now and when I was playing.

He - nothing against him - swam 4 laps while I completed my 10 prior to doing the flip turn lessons.  I noticed he was stopping to breath and recover while I just pounded out the laps.  That got me thinking about the running I used to do - yea - sometimes I was dorky enough to run with a racquet while bouncing a ball (it did help with ball control)... anyway, it hit me - I've changed.  I AM TRIATHLETE.  I used to leave my house and run the hills in the neighborhood and be exhausted – could not run the entire time (never did – not once).  Now I leave my new house, run 2 miles to the old neighborhood, run the same hills, and then run home feeling great without stopping (no racquet though).

We all should be very proud to call ourselves Triathletes REGARDLESS of the level at which we compete.  Even a mid or back of the packer could probably outdo the majority of individuals out there – we are doing it and they are not.  They think it is impossible and we often make it possible while training.  For those who have all the performance concerns and worries – just smile and know you are using a very high benchmark to measure yourself.

Be proud.

I AM TRIATHLETE

I'm really looking forward to 03/20/11 when I can officially call myself a Triathlete!  Thank you for posting this John! 

And thank you Yanti for posting the other tips as well.

Work has been kicking my a$$ lately, so I haven't had the motivation to even pack the bag to step out of the house.  But I have Cox digital cable, and we have an On-Demand channel that has free exercise videos you can play.  So, tonight I did the 10 Pound Slimdown - Total Body Blast.  It's a combo of upper and lower strength training with some cardio mixed in.  It wa a great workout, but now I feel like I'm going to barf.  So I think I'm just going to drink some water and go to bed.

Diet has been a sucking point for me.  I can't seem to stay away from stuff that I shouldn't have.  We've had 4 birthdays at the office in the past 2 weeks, each one with cake, and I always eat some and then feel gross afterwards.  Then today, we had an all day meeting and they brought in Chick-fil-A.  I ate 6 of the chicken tenders!!  There was fruit and salad there too, which I had some of - and then I ate 2 brownie bites.  Some days I do well, and other days I just reach for whatever looks yummy.

2011-01-07 1:42 AM
in reply to: #3256055

User image

I think this one is funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B03dFMG8nR4

And here is movie from toughest triathlon in the world. Beautiful and inspiring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3cr5lgXRn8

Have a great training everyone.
Arek
2011-01-07 3:13 AM
in reply to: #3282413

User image

Melon Presser
SteveyD - 2011-01-07 1:22 AM

6. Mental training helps. The practice of meditation or focused/guided visualization can be very helpful for keeping your motivation levels up. On the spot, if you're balking before a specific session, even a couple of minutes of meditation, focus, or thinking about the benefits can do marvels for motivating you to actually get up, go, and grab those gifts.

I need help on mental side of things !
I have never really been able to just sit down, relax or chill you know.
Which iss wierd as i'm a very easy going laid back person.
But when it comes to anything, I take it all way to seriously and tend to stop having fun (Applies to sports, and bass guitar too)  

all right, you're doing your next triathlon in a Nacho Libre suit then.

try it and try NOT having fun

dump the training. i know the weather sucks, but go out for a destination ride instead and bring a thermos of hot coffee and enjoy it while you're looking at ... i dunno, railroad tracks, outskirts of london, whatever

go run through a field flapping your arms and singing

don't swim laps. go somewhere where they have a diving board.

and maybe try this to chill out for starters ... you know how to breathe, right? that's all you need ...

yanti's pro breathing meditation

I have found breathing meditations to be indispensable to training. I can lower my heart rate at will anytime, even if I'm redlining in a sprint. It's great! Also, it's fantastic for swim starts--perfectly calm and relaxed before the race, AND into the water, so I never get that rush/panic/breathlessness in the first few minutes of a race.

A really simple start to breathing meditation is to set aside 5 min at first to practice it. (I like first thing in the morning, but anytime of day is fine). Good posture, sitting down. Relaxed. Don't try to control your thoughts--let them wander at will. DO try to focus only on the feeling that air is making at the entrance of your nostrils--in, and out. Breathe deeply and slowly as if pulling in from your stomach. Make even your lower stomach expand with breath. Pretend you're trying to pull breath into your upper legs. Don't hold, but then exhale just as slowly. At all times, DO try to focus only on the movement of air past your nostrils (but don't try to manage your thoughts. Let them be).
2011-01-07 5:41 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

Some great stuff you posted Yanti!  I am trying to catch up but it has been a crazy busy week at work.  I am an accountant and part owner of a payroll service company.  I have been overwhelmed with year end/quarter end payroll returns and W2s for all of our clients.  I am determined to be done them today so I can have a week or two to breath before tax season gets started!

2011-01-07 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3283790

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
schapopa - 2011-01-07 1:42 AM I think this one is funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B03dFMG8nR4

And here is movie from toughest triathlon in the world. Beautiful and inspiring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3cr5lgXRn8

Have a great training everyone.
Arek

The second video.  All I can say is, "WOW"!  The way you finish is amazing and a little crazy.  Can you imagine how your legs would feel?

Edited by cggale 2011-01-07 7:47 AM
2011-01-07 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3283807

Veteran
Hoosier heartland

yanti's pro breathing meditation

I have found breathing meditations to be indispensable to training. I can lower my heart rate at will anytime, even if I'm redlining in a sprint. It's great! Also, it's fantastic for swim starts--perfectly calm and relaxed before the race, AND into the water, so I never get that rush/panic/breathlessness in the first few minutes of a race.

A really simple start to breathing meditation is to set aside 5 min at first to practice it. (I like first thing in the morning, but anytime of day is fine). Good posture, sitting down. Relaxed. Don't try to control your thoughts--let them wander at will. DO try to focus only on the feeling that air is making at the entrance of your nostrils--in, and out. Breathe deeply and slowly as if pulling in from your stomach. Make even your lower stomach expand with breath. Pretend you're trying to pull breath into your upper legs. Don't hold, but then exhale just as slowly. At all times, DO try to focus only on the movement of air past your nostrils (but don't try to manage your thoughts. Let them be).

Thank you for this.  I need to try this before I swim in my next tri.  It never fails whenever I swim in a race (I've only done four).  I always have that breathless, panicky feel especially in OWS.  I never get over it completely for the whole swim. Of course I've only done two OWS and one of them was in a canal.  I'm not sure if it's the temps, nerves, experience, lack of confidence.....?

Who am I kidding, it's all of the above.

Edited by cggale 2011-01-07 8:02 AM

2011-01-07 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3284034

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Love the meditation. I have been a meditator for several years, before triathlons. It helps to set my day and clear out mind chatter.

Since we're talking about base building and slowly and injury possibility, I thought I'd share my blog entry for today:

Here's a quote I certainly can and will do my very best to follow this year. I've realized that probably the real cause of my injury that's still resulting in hurty butt syndrome (HBS) when I run faster or stretch out on my bike or take hills in tough gears. It was a big run week last year with an international distance tri that same week. I did some yoga with twisting that tweaked an already tight back that was stressed and hadn't recovered from the long run, then I did the tri and when it hurt afterward, I continued to run my extra miles to get in the required mileage for my marathon plan. I wasn't able to do my training the way I should have leading up to the marathon, although did complete the marathon and have continued training at a much reduced level since then. I've been doing ART, acupuncture, massage, chiro, regular Doc and Reiki (self treatment) for months. I'm still not completely healed and it may be a re-ocuring issue. Maybe it will serve to remind me when it flares that it's time to back off. So the quote below means a lot, even though it wasn't a "coach" per-se that I was following but a plan written on a piece of paper. So my lesson? Train to your ability and increase volume, intensity slowly. But above all, listen to your body!  Now, is my body saying I need some Oreos? Hmmmm. Sometimes it fibs.

I will always listen to my coaches. But first I listen to my body. If what they tell me suits my body, great. If my body doesn't feel good with what they say, then always my body comes first.

Haile Gebreselassie

2011-01-07 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3284364

User image

Melon Presser
lmscozz - 2011-01-07 10:49 PM But above all, listen to your body!  Now, is my body saying I need some Oreos? Hmmmm. Sometimes it fibs.

I will always listen to my coaches. But first I listen to my body. If what they tell me suits my body, great. If my body doesn't feel good with what they say, then always my body comes first.

Haile Gebreselassie

Hail Haile. Hear, hear.

pssst ... your body's not saying you need Oreos ... your body is saying "send Yanti Pop Tarts" ... it is, too ... even I can hear it

so this is so awesome, even if it's a cliche, even if it's cheesy ... I gotta big-font bold-cap it:

ABOVE ALL, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.

this is a practice, and an art. by the way, i personally think meditation really helps with this. and nobody gets it all right all the time from the outset. but if you cultivate the habit of really listening to your body, and trying to figure out what that means TO YOU ... => success.
2011-01-07 10:39 AM

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
I'm thinking about buying an EMS (electronic muscle stimulator).  There is one on Amazon.com that is reasonable in $ (here's the link:  http://www.amazon.com/LG-TEC-Stimulator-Carrying-Electrodes-Include... ).

But I have no clue what I'm buying.  I have only used this type of device once.  Does anybody have one?  Have any comments on why I should or should not get one?
2011-01-07 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3284494

User image

Melon Presser
iluvmybeamer - 2011-01-07 11:39 PM I'm thinking about buying an EMS (electronic muscle stimulator).  There is one on Amazon.com that is reasonable in $ (here's the link:  http://www.amazon.com/LG-TEC-Stimulator-Carrying-Electrodes-Include... ).

But I have no clue what I'm buying.  I have only used this type of device once.  Does anybody have one?  Have any comments on why I should or should not get one?

Depends entirely what you used it for, how you felt it helped you, and what you want to use it for now or in the future. LG is a solid electronics company and that looks like a decent TENS/EMS unit.

I used to tutor PT students and worked as a physical therapy volunteer at a spinal-injuries occupational therapy facility, so I know a little bit about these things ...
2011-01-07 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3284639

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
TriAya - 2011-01-07 11:33 AM
iluvmybeamer - 2011-01-07 11:39 PM I'm thinking about buying an EMS (electronic muscle stimulator).  There is one on Amazon.com that is reasonable in $ (here's the link:  http://www.amazon.com/LG-TEC-Stimulator-Carrying-Electrodes-Include... ).

Depends entirely what you used it for, how you felt it helped you, and what you want to use it for now or in the future. LG is a solid electronics company and that looks like a decent TENS/EMS unit.

I used to tutor PT students and worked as a physical therapy volunteer at a spinal-injuries occupational therapy facility, so I know a little bit about these things ...

I have tendonitis (left calf).  I got the screaming rub down last night and it's still there.  Othro said that an EMS will help.  I have used one, but it was a cheapy one from one of those asian massage places.  It was not strong enough.  Hubby wants to share too.  He's got plantar fasciitis.

Will the EMS help?

2011-01-07 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3284777

User image

Melon Presser
iluvmybeamer - 2011-01-08 1:20 AM
TriAya - 2011-01-07 11:33 AM

I have tendonitis (left calf).  I got the screaming rub down last night and it's still there.  Othro said that an EMS will help.  I have used one, but it was a cheapy one from one of those asian massage places.  It was not strong enough.  Hubby wants to share too.  He's got plantar fasciitis.

Will the EMS help?

it sure might and if you're using it on recommendation from an ortho (ask about strength/cycles), fantastic.

for your hubby the TENS function might be more appropriate--the EMS is less likely to actually help heal PF, but the TENS is quite likely to help with the pain. he's doing all the right 'other' stuff for PF including not aggravating it as much as possible, right?

I know. I'm a busybody and know-it-all. Anybody please feel free to disregard my advice, I certainly do so often enough myself [rolls eyeballs and sighs]
2011-01-07 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3284409

User image

Master
Vista, CA

TriAya - 2011-01-07 8:06 AM
lmscozz - 2011-01-07 10:49 PM But above all, listen to your body!  Now, is my body saying I need some Oreos? Hmmmm. Sometimes it fibs.

Haile Gebreselassie

Hail Haile. Hear, hear.

pssst ... your body's not saying you need Oreos ... your body is saying "send Yanti Pop Tarts" ... it is, too ... even I can hear it

so this is so awesome, even if it's a cliche, even if it's cheesy ... I gotta big-font bold-cap it:

ABOVE ALL, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.

this is a practice, and an art. by the way, i personally think meditation really helps with this. and nobody gets it all right all the time from the outset. but if you cultivate the habit of really listening to your body, and trying to figure out what that means TO YOU ... => success.

CHEESE? CHEESE? Did someone mention CHEESE?  ----sorry couldn't resist. Goofiness is all part of it, too!

2011-01-07 2:53 PM

User image

Melon Presser
CHEESE.

that's it. the next time i do a long workout--2 hrs or more, this'll probably be a looong time coming--i'm having a pop tart with cream CHEESE on it afterwards.

because i can't imagine anything more heavenly.

don't forget the milk.
2011-01-07 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
talking of cheese, dinner tomorrow is roasted veg and goats cheese tarts, a la moi.

Anyway, I manged to sign up for the gym today, whe n I fix my itunes, i'll send a picture of the view from the treadmill  (so to speak)

2011-01-07 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
talking of cheese, dinner tomorrow is roasted veg and goats cheese tarts, a la moi.

Anyway, I manged to sign up for the gym today, whe n I fix my itunes, i'll send a picture of the view from the treadmill  (so to speak)

2011-01-08 1:48 AM
in reply to: #3278577

User image

Regular
New Zealand
TriAya - 2011-01-05 2:27 AM
Melyssa it is so lovely you are here again--I'd wondered about you often. You're a strong and brilliant woman and though you're very modest about it anyone who can read between the lines is amazed at what you manage to accomplish with grace every single day. I want some of that

ooh you made me tear up a little... (but honestly... only if what you mean by 'with grace' means with lots of yelling, coffee and chocolate...)
it's great to be back and it makes me feel like a little bit of a triathlete just being here 

by the way... what is a pop tart? i might have to google it... is it good with coffee... ?

Edited by missyNZ 2011-01-08 1:51 AM
2011-01-08 5:02 AM
in reply to: #3286104

User image

Expert
Cambridge

by the way... what is a pop tart? i might have to google it... is it good with coffee... ?

You poor thing, here. we'll look after you.

2011-01-08 5:03 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
2011-01-08 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3286104

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

Melyssa,  I know you don't live in grass huts and stuff per the cholcate inspire communication, but not knowing about the pop tart initially concerned me.  Then I remember all the pastries I had / have when I travel and figured you are not missing out on much.

Sorry Yanti - I do often buy them 4-6 boxes at a time (at our local SAMS club - everything is in bulk), but it is for my girls.  If I ate them, I'd probably have "girls" (aka melons) on me too, but really - for my children.

By the way Stevey - I don't think I've ever seen a poptart in the US that looked as good as the one in your pic. Mmmm

Edited by mackjenn 2011-01-08 9:47 AM
2011-01-08 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
A US Poptart. 

2011-01-08 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3286387

User image

Melon Presser
mackjenn - 2011-01-08 10:50 PM A US Poptart. 

you just made me cry. those are strawberry frosted ...
2011-01-08 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3286387

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
mackjenn - 2011-01-08 9:50 AM A US Poptart. 

and you made me hungry.  my hubby (coach/training partner) has told me to lay off the sweets.  it's reeking havoc in my recovery. 
2011-01-08 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin
You guys sure know how to make me hungry!  
2011-01-08 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Help!  I'm trying to pick my plan and cannot decide between the intermediate 21 week Olympic or the 20 week beginners half ironman (both silver programs with volumes I think I can fit in).  I don't like the silver custom plan - can't input over 1900 yard swim in the planned race and no detail in workouts.

I'm 21 weeks from the Escape from Alcatraz tri and I'd like to perform well and have fun (not PLANNING on winning, so fun is more of the intent without embarrasing myself).  After this race, I have a sprint 2 weeks later and then an oly and 1/2 ironman (each about 1 month after the last).  My primary races are 1)  Escape  (june 5)  and 2)  I/2 Iron in August.  Others are basically "practice" type races to replace training.  Following the initial 20-21 week training plan for Alcatraz, I'll switch to an 8-16 week plan for remainder of summer.

Strength training will be set-up by myself off-line using guidance from "Be Iron Fit" and maybe some of the P90x videos, so I don't need it as part of the plan.  I train using a Polar HRM, but usually go based on RPE supplemented by what the HRM is saying.

Concern over the oly plan is the distance target for the race.  Although the Escape is basically an oly, it has an 8 mile hilly run and 2600 yard swim - both a bit longer than an oly.  I'm not concerned over the swim (note:  confidence is what you have just before realizing the full circumstances of your situation), but I am concerned over the run and bike due to hills (overweight + hills = suck going up).  Concern over the 1/2 iron plan is intensity - does not seem as challenging as my current no-fluff maintenance plan designed for increasing VO2 max.

I'm leaning towards 1/2 Ironman Beginners due to what seems like more focus on base training at lower intensity - which we all know is better for weightloss and overall preparation for longer racing (train body for fat burning in place of glycogen).  I can also throw in some mountain cycling sessions (Colorado mountains within 50 miles) on the longer weekend rides as well as regular trecks up the incline (check it out here http://www.manitouincline.net/main.htm - 2000 ft elevation gain in 1 mile) to replace some run sessions.

Thoughts?

Edited by mackjenn 2011-01-08 11:30 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 38