BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-08-04 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3628712

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED

TriColby - 2011-08-04 10:26 AM Has anybody ever ran at a much higher altitude than they are accustomed to?  I am going to Fort Collins Colorado for vacation in a few weeks and there is a 10k there I want to run.  I live in Florida, so there is obviously a crazy altitude difference.  Is there anything you can do to prep for that, or am I just going to have to expect to run slow?  When I went out there last year I didn't notice the difference so much in Fort Collins as I did when we went up into the actual mountains in Breckenridge, but that kicked my butt just walking around... and drinking beer

I went to Bogota last year and did a run from the hotel.  I went at my usual pace per the GPS, and my HR was off the charts.  I didn't realize that the altitude was 8600 ft until I downloaded the GPS data!  Duh.  So the rest of the week I did run but I went by HR and my pace was a good 45-60 seconds slower / mile at the same HR at home.  (9:00 vs. 9:55ish).

Definitely plan on going slower, and hydrate like crazy.  I doubt you'll be there long enough to acclimate.  For walking and hiking and such, a few days is sufficient, but I think it takes a few weeks to truly acclimate enough to do strenuous exercise at a similar level to what you're used to.

2011-08-04 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3628915

User image

South Florida

Hey gang! i went a did a 530am swim the other morning, and actually enjoyed it. My buddy and I were trying out a new pool in the area, and will probably be our go-to pool from now on. It's only $3 and close to the house. Weird thing is, it's a salt water pool. Not salty like the ocean, but more like a "watered down" version saltwater pool. But it was nice to get the workout down with for the day. May start doing that for all my swims.

I went to my LBS last night to swap out saddles again. I went from the stock Specialized Tri-Tip to the Adamo Century to the Adamo Road. The Century was way to wide and put alot of pressure down the hamstrings. The road feels good, so i'll find out this weekend how is does in the long rides. I have an hour run planned for tonight in the brutal heat.

2011-08-04 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3628915

User image

South Florida

Hey gang! i went a did a 530am swim the other morning, and actually enjoyed it. My buddy and I were trying out a new pool in the area, and will probably be our go-to pool from now on. It's only $3 and close to the house. Weird thing is, it's a salt water pool. Not salty like the ocean, but more like a "watered down" version saltwater pool. But it was nice to get the workout down with for the day. May start doing that for all my swims.

I went to my LBS last night to swap out saddles again. I went from the stock Specialized Tri-Tip to the Adamo Century to the Adamo Road. The Century was way to wide and put alot of pressure down the hamstrings. The road feels good, so i'll find out this weekend how is does in the long rides. I have an hour run planned for tonight in the brutal heat.

2011-08-04 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3629043

User image

NH
nvalaitis - 2011-08-04 1:08 PM

I use the Adamo road and love it.  It's a little wide up front but it's the only first saddle which didn't numb me after a half hour or so.

I'd love to find a pool to swim in which was relatively close and lower cost.  I can't complain too much as I do have great OWS from my front door Fri-Sun at least.

2011-08-05 7:10 PM
in reply to: #3281614

User image

Master

Speaking of pools, I went to try a new pool today, and it was a disaster.

I met up with some training friends at lunch, so I didn't get in my afternoon swim. So I figured I would go in the evening.

By the time I got to the pool, the parking lot was packed and the pool looked that way too. There had been an accident on the road, so I was later than I wanted getting there as well.

Ah, well. So, I didn't end up swimming today.

Such is life I guess.

On the other hand, I am planning on having a big training weekend, so it may work out in my favor.

2011-08-05 7:29 PM

User image

NH
I'm on vacation and largely offline this next week, but planning some nice rides in the hills of the beautiful lake region and swimming in the lake.  The best part is I'll be right at the site of my last tri of the year - Timberman - and plan to ride the course a few times.

2011-08-07 8:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

Hey Everybody,

Back from the outerbanks and had a blast.  I only went out for one run though as I couldn't convince myself to do more than that when doing nothing at the beach and pool were available to me.  I have some work to catch up my training.

I also wanted to congratulate my wife for her first Tri she completed today, after driving home yesterday.  She did awesome and will likely beat me if we ever go head to head.  I am so proud.  I forced her to do a race report, check it out if you have a minute.

I will read through the posts later tonight or tomorrow to catch up with everybody. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=263849

2011-08-08 10:11 AM

User image

Carmel

Completed the Indy Tri yeasterday - all in all, OK. Swimming--the toughest part for me was...OK (better than dismal) I was at least 424/543--so i wasn't the slowest person this time. I again, even though I did warm up in the water this race, I still stopped +- 200m into swim - got the breathing under control - and swam my snail like pace to the finish....need to keep working on the swim. T1 went awful - couldn't get my bike shirt on - kept rolling - to do: go buy a tri shirt I can swim in.... Bike went reasonably well - rode strong- course real bumpy - only bikes passing me were tri bike. T2 went real well - no socks - shoe change was fast. Run is always a bit tough the first 1/2 mile - walked thru water station 1 to get some needed gatorade (over 80 and muggy by then) - ran well and just did a "splash and go" at water #2. finished strong. I did a race report --but not sure how to put the link in this note.

Thanks for the swimming advice I've received - all I can say is that I'm getting better - not being the slowest person feels better - I still finished 1:21 (173/543) - so training is working ok.

2011-08-08 4:00 PM

User image

Master

Paul,

Way to go! Here is the link everyone.

About the swim, I think it is still too easy to get overexcited when you start. Once you push too hard, and lose your rythm, it can be hard to get it back. I think I posted it before, but I like the endurance nation thought "Slow is smooth, smooth is strong, strong is fast" I think that when I swim and do my best to get a rythm. I often breath every stroke-all right or all left, whichever feels better that day.

As for shirts in transition....yeah, either wear a tri-tip or get a bike jersey with a full zipper. I can never get anything over my head successfully in T1.

However, if you wear a tri top on the swim, make sure to use some kind of lubricant on your neck. Nothing sucks worse than giving yourself a chafe on the neck. I use glide or vaseline. Deodorant will also work in a pinch.

Congrats on the great race!!!!

2011-08-10 8:13 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

So, I did intervals yesterday. Ouch. Had one of those runs where I my lungs and breathing seemed to be struggling, even though my legs felt relatively strong.

It was weird, I felt like I should be able to go faster, but I just couldn't.

Still a good feeling to get out there and do it.

Looking forward to next week, where I hope to be getting in a lot of swimming! Also, racing some friends on computrainers tomorrow, so that should be fun.

2011-08-12 2:49 PM

User image

South Florida

2011-08-15 12:51 PM

User image

Ocala
So after much waiting and anticipation and an annoying knee injury, I am finally going to get to my first race, September 17th in Orlando.  Just doing the MyFirst since I have not been in the pool, but still super stoked.  I had a strong brick this weekend, my first "real" brick since I hurt my leg, and everything felt great, so I signed up.  I guess here is to a strong next season.Wink
2011-08-16 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

Colby - Good Luck you will do great.  It is tough dealing with injuries but there are a couple in this group who are also dealing with one.  Make the best of it.   Have fun during your event, you'll only do your first once.  Way more important to have fun, than to get a great time.

I had a good race this past weekend.  I did the Cazenovia Tri which is the same one I did last year.  I took over 10 minutes off my time.  Would have been better but the swim distance was much longer than advertised.  Swim times for the winners really show that.  Either way I am happy with my results, and improvement.  I will post a RR in bit.

2011-08-18 10:12 AM

User image

NH

That's a serious improvement Charlie.  Can't wait to read the RR. 

Injuries are a real tester Colby.  I'm at a real motivational low with this Achilles thing - not good given I have a race in two days.  I'm really considering myself participating more than racing this weekend.

2011-08-19 8:14 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

Sorry I have been so quiet, I was away in Maine at a lake for a week, and there was extremely limited access.

Colby, glad to hear you are OK. Also glad to hear you are excited about your race. That is really the key to success, having some fun and choosing and knowing your goals.

I'll never qualify for Kona, but that won't stop me from having fun at my local and occasional travel races.

I just spent a week away from home and my bike. I didn't get in quite as much running or swimming as I wanted, but still did OK. I managed to not gain much weight either, so I am considering it a succseful vacation week!

The nice thing about a break like that, is that it helps motivate you to get back in the swing of things. Looking forward to doing some good training this weekend!

2011-08-19 8:14 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

Sorry I have been so quiet, I was away in Maine at a lake for a week, and there was extremely limited access.

Colby, glad to hear you are OK. Also glad to hear you are excited about your race. That is really the key to success, having some fun and choosing and knowing your goals.

I'll never qualify for Kona, but that won't stop me from having fun at my local and occasional travel races.

I just spent a week away from home and my bike. I didn't get in quite as much running or swimming as I wanted, but still did OK. I managed to not gain much weight either, so I am considering it a succseful vacation week!

The nice thing about a break like that, is that it helps motivate you to get back in the swing of things. Looking forward to doing some good training this weekend!

2011-08-19 9:02 AM

User image

NH

Wow Eli, two trips up here to the Northeast this summer.  Now I'm really mad we didn't meet up!  Glad you had a good week.   I would say a vacation week without weight gain is a huge success. 

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend.

2011-08-19 11:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

Welcome back Warren.  Hope you had a great Vacation.  Good luck with your race, hopefully the Achilles behaves.

Sounds like your trip Eli was nice.  I can't say that I didn't put on any weight while I was in the outerbanks.  I have some (a lot) work to drop what I gained this summer, most of it while on that trip.

I just signed up for another Sprint on September 3rd, and am still debating the other HIM on the 18th of September.  Not sure I have been doing enough long runs to really be prepared for it, this sprints keep coming up and I want to do them.  This sprint on the 3rd will be the first time both mu wife and I race in the same event.  Looking forward to it, and won't be too surprised if she beats me.  She is already a better runner, similar swimming, and I think I have a small advantage on the bike.  It is going to be fun no matter what.

I also signed up for a Tough Mudder race in November.  It looks pretty intense but awesome at the same time.  I have a group of 12 on my team and I am really excited to do it.  

http://toughmudder.com/events/tri-state-2011/

Here is the RR I just put together for my race last weekend. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=265448

Have a great weekend, I have a 56 mile ride (The HIM course) planned and a 7 - 8 mile run planned.

2011-08-22 8:13 AM

User image

NH

I’ll get a race report up later today, but I hammered the sprint this weekend.  It’s always a big one, but it  was a really HUGE event this year (1464).  I came in 111 overall and 10th in the AG.  Not sure how many were in the AG since they haven’t posted full results.  I’m not sure if they ever will.  It’s an Ironman weekend with a half on Sunday, and they don’t give the sprint much thought in terms of results, IMO.

I promised to hammer the bike and I think I did, coming in 56th for a top 4% finish.  My run was weird in that everything felt ok but at about 1.5 miles my Achilles seemed to go “offtrack” for lack of a better explanation.  It didn’t really hurt as much as it just locked up my ankle and I couldn’t flex it.  I stopped for a very short time and rubbed it out, and it felt fine and I actually ran my hardest the last mile.  I had a watch malfunction (forgot to start it on the run) and I wish I had since I was 11 seconds slower than last year and probably could have kicked it up and beat that time with some more pain.

2011-08-22 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3653321

User image

Master

Warren,

Congrats! Glad you had a good race. Sorry to hear about your achilles. I swear that is what mine felt like before sometimes. I think that is why the KT tape helps. Purely mechanical support.

Can't wait to read the report!

2011-08-22 2:25 PM

User image

Master

Well.

I had a decent weekend, back in training mode. I ran 12 miles with my wife on Friday night. It was a solid 12, and I felt pretty good just about the whole time.

Of course, we got back late (11:00 PM) so I ended up skipping my long ride on Saturday. Nick and some other friends went out for 80, so I was sorry when I finally got moving.

My wife and I rode 70 on Sunday. A decent ride, but I am still feeling like I am missing some of my power. Actually, what I feel like is that i can do short bursts, but when I try to ride hard for my longer intervals, I can't keep it up. I am assuming it is a fatigue issue where my muscles just don't have the energy stored up.

Looking forward to a good week, although a hectic one. My 9 year old daughter started school today, so I have to get back in the swing!

Hope you all had a good weekend.

2011-08-22 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3654090

User image

NH
eliwashere - 2011-08-22 3:22 PM

Warren,

Congrats! Glad you had a good race. Sorry to hear about your achilles. I swear that is what mine felt like before sometimes. I think that is why the KT tape helps. Purely mechanical support.

Can't wait to read the report!

Wow, I never even thought about the tape connection.  It bothered me that I ran hard (only for a lap on a track) two days prior with no issues, but I didn't tape before the race.  Don't even ask why!  Maybe it's that simple.

2011-08-22 5:07 PM

User image

NH
2011-08-24 3:08 PM

User image

Master

Can't believe it is wednesday already.

Having a decent, if not great, week of training.

I took Monday off and ran almost 5 miles in my virbrams on Tuesday. Got in a decent spin today and hope to swim and bike some tomorrow as well.

Thinking about running 15 with my wife on Friday night. It isn't in my plan, but I do like the running, and need the mileage.

2011-08-24 3:21 PM

User image

NH

That sounds like a lot of running to me Eli!  I'm taking a few weeks rehabbing and totally off running to see if this heel thing will go away.

I did some super geek analysis of the tri I just did and found some things I guess I already knew but really hammered it home.

There were 1464 participants.  If you took just the S/B/R events, I was 93rd.  Adding in the transitions I was 111th.  If you count just the swim and bike (not even T1) I was 56th.  I REALLY need to work on my running and transitions!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20