BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-29 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Toronto-ish
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!

It was suggested to me as a beginning runner that I run for time, not for speed or distance, that's what I've been doing. My half hour runs have been short, with walking breaks as recommended in many of the CT5K plans, just not as many of them because I'm short on time. I don't run more than 5 km at a time simply because everything seems to recommend not to. Makes progress particularly slow.

2011-04-29 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3472927

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
marvintpa - 2011-04-29 9:13 AM

It was suggested to me as a beginning runner that I run for time, not for speed or distance, that's what I've been doing. My half hour runs have been short, with walking breaks as recommended in many of the CT5K plans, just not as many of them because I'm short on time. I don't run more than 5 km at a time simply because everything seems to recommend not to. Makes progress particularly slow.

So when is your 5K?

2011-04-29 8:47 AM

User image

Toronto-ish
It's a sprint, 4 weeks.
2011-04-29 8:57 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

I agree with the other that your joints *can* acclimate. I had knee surgery right out of high school. When I tried running years ago I had hip issues. I've had a slew of minor injuries in the past couple of years since getting into tri's and running regularly.

Having said all that I think when you start out 'slow' and build your joints can adapt unless there is an underlying issue. That issue could be with a true joint injury, your gait or form, shoes, etc.

How are you feeling with the C25K program? Is it slow or do you feel it is just right. The thing is you aren't on a couch you are playing hockey and cycling so a true C25K might be too slow for you. The C stand for couch ie have done nothing but sit on the couch with a remote in one hand and family size Doritos in the other.

My coach always has me run time rather than distance, there is a reason for this. Different runs should have different paces to help build your endurance and also help with acclimation. It would be helpful for you to also put your distance in your logs. If you look at my run entries I am running the time my coach told me to run so the distance usually isn't a set mileage. If you put in your time and your distance you have an idea of your pace. With this information you can look back months from now and see how much faster you are getting. It can also help us help you.

Programs like C25K are great and help people get started with little strain in hopes to keep them running instead of giving up when it's too much too fast but every body is different and you can tweak any program if it is not working for you. I know someone who skipped the first couple of weeks because it was simply too easy so she was doing less walking from the beginning. Something to think about. The plan is a guideline not set in stone.

2011-04-29 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3472739

User image

Regular
Maryland

kenj - 2011-04-29 4:34 AM Good feed back on recovery weeks and rest days!  Nice!

Robin and I have HM's this weekend, good luck Robin and have fun!

Anyone else racing that I missed or big workout plans?

Robin and Ken, good luck on the HM's this weekend!  Hope you have good weather conditions.

2011-04-29 9:14 AM

User image

Toronto-ish
Best of luck on those races guys!!!

2011-04-29 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3472818

User image

Regular
Maryland
marvintpa - 2011-04-29 6:59 AM

I have a question for the group about starting to run.

I'm sure we've all encountered the recommended practice of starting slowly. Walk and run, short distances, etc. in order for the body to adapt and acclimate.

My question is, what does "adapt and acclimate" really mean in this case?

My issues when I started running in the past were all joint related. Do joints adapt and acclimate?  I'm having a hard time believing that. Yes, the muscles around them would get stronger but I could do that in a gym. A physio designed some orthotics for me and they seem to be working fine, so that could potentially account for/remedy issues I've had in the past.

The reason I ask is that I don't want to run my way into injury, but I'm running out of time to prepare for my first race of the season. I play a fair bit of hockey and have been riding all winter so I'm not really concerned about leg strength.

Tom, great question.  I'm struggling with the same issue.

I'm trying to use my PT's advice "let pain be your guide," but what amount of "Pain" is ok and what is not?

When I'm running now, I'm trying to get my knee getting used to the pounding.  Til now, I've been treating it gingerly, but I feel like its time to start challenging it.  To be honest, I'm kind of daunted.  I ran outside without a watch today, so I couldn't time my running, but I think I ran for 1/8 mi. stretches at a time at most.  I'm wondering, when am I ever going to be able to run a full mile?

2011-04-29 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3473099

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Viyoung - 2011-04-29 9:18 AM

I'm sure we've all encountered the recommended practice of starting slowly. Walk and run, short distances, etc. in order for the body to adapt and acclimate.

My issues when I started running in the past were all joint related. Do joints adapt and acclimate?  I'm having a hard time believing that. Yes, the muscles around them would get stronger but I could do that in a gym. A physio designed some orthotics for me and they seem to be working fine, so that could potentially account for/remedy issues I've had in the past.

The reason I ask is that I don't want to run my way into injury, but I'm running out of time to prepare for my first race of the season. I play a fair bit of hockey and have been riding all winter so I'm not really concerned about leg strength.

I'm trying to use my PT's advice "let pain be your guide," but what amount of "Pain" is ok and what is not?

When I'm running now, I'm trying to get my knee getting used to the pounding.  Til now, I've been treating it gingerly, but I feel like its time to start challenging it.  To be honest, I'm kind of daunted.  I ran outside without a watch today, so I couldn't time my running, but I think I ran for 1/8 mi. stretches at a time at most.  I'm wondering, when am I ever going to be able to run a full mile?

You will get there! Consistency will be the key and relish the little accomplishments along the way. I know I have said this in the past, but a little over a year ago I was where you are now.  In 2 days I am running my first HM. It is slow, but that is good - b/c getting injured sucks! Make sure you are running slow too, I found when I slowed way down I could run much farther w/o looking at my watch every 5 seconds.  Don't worry about how fast you are going for now, but how long.

Tom - I found running to be different than any other sport. While the hockey and other sports will be excellent for you cardio and strength wise, it doesn't mimic the continous pounding your legs get while running. Since you are in shape you will probably progress faster than someone of the couch, just be careful and follow the 10% rule.

So I woke up today and looked outside and it was beautiful. Got the paper and it was sunny and little wind. Not 10 minutes later (not exagerating) I look out the window again and it is snowing sideways. WTF? I will be in CA tomorrow - can't wait!!!!

2011-04-29 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3473156

User image

Regular
Maryland
California!  Have fun!!
2011-04-29 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3473091

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
marvintpa - 2011-04-29 10:14 AM Best of luck on those races guys!!!

Thanks!
2011-04-29 10:40 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-04-29 10:42 AM

So I woke up today and looked outside and it was beautiful. Got the paper and it was sunny and little wind. Not 10 minutes later (not exagerating) I look out the window again and it is snowing sideways. WTF? I will be in CA tomorrow - can't wait!!!!

When I am in CA I miss a lot of things about home, the weather isn't one of them (or at least from Oct to May!)

When it rains or is in anyway inclement, it is all they talk about!  This time of year, you will probably have a little over cast from the marine layer, but that makes for great running weather as it keeps it cool until it burns off later in the am!

2011-04-29 11:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I started running in 2008 to see if I could do a whole triathlon instead of just the bike portion for LiveSTRONG relay teams. I did a couch to 5 K...  Then the nest spring, I joined the local run club and took advice form the experienced older runners.  

Run 3 X a week.  One speed, one hills, one long slow distance.  Increase total mileage no more than 10%.  Did my first half IM last fall...2:20 run.  I was good with that.  Faster now.  In the meantime I've learned what tendinitis is and the importance of daily rollers and yoga.  No injuries since then.  I wear straps under my knees to prevent a moving knee cap from rubbing the tendons that all join near it.  

As Ken said, there is only one way to prepare for the run, and that's running.  But we can be smart about it.  I'm up to 10 miles this spring on my long run.  Moving it to Wednesdays so it is the only workout that day.  It will increase to 2.5 hours by the IM time.  Going to do speed work Mondays, and ever increasing hill workouts on Saturdays.  That all has to be firmed up with a runner who is part of my cycling coaching group.  He did IM Wis. last year.  

Run, stretch, roll.   Ice even the most minor soreness after.  Costs nothing.  Anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen are good.   

Have fun!  I used to have the attitude that running was a necessary evil.  Now I really like it.

2011-04-29 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3473040

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
KeriKadi - 2011-04-29 9:57 AM

I agree with the other that your joints *can* acclimate. I had knee surgery right out of high school. When I tried running years ago I had hip issues. I've had a slew of minor injuries in the past couple of years since getting into tri's and running regularly.

Having said all that I think when you start out 'slow' and build your joints can adapt unless there is an underlying issue. That issue could be with a true joint injury, your gait or form, shoes, etc.

How are you feeling with the C25K program? Is it slow or do you feel it is just right. The thing is you aren't on a couch you are playing hockey and cycling so a true C25K might be too slow for you. The C stand for couch ie have done nothing but sit on the couch with a remote in one hand and family size Doritos in the other.

My coach always has me run time rather than distance, there is a reason for this. Different runs should have different paces to help build your endurance and also help with acclimation. It would be helpful for you to also put your distance in your logs. If you look at my run entries I am running the time my coach told me to run so the distance usually isn't a set mileage. If you put in your time and your distance you have an idea of your pace. With this information you can look back months from now and see how much faster you are getting. It can also help us help you.

Programs like C25K are great and help people get started with little strain in hopes to keep them running instead of giving up when it's too much too fast but every body is different and you can tweak any program if it is not working for you. I know someone who skipped the first couple of weeks because it was simply too easy so she was doing less walking from the beginning. Something to think about. The plan is a guideline not set in stone.

I just want to second that. I run by time also but I know my distance & pace pretty well. So the two kind of merge into one after a while.

Do you have a way of tracking distance? I find it to just be a good gauge when you are comparing it to the race you are going to do. In the end this sport is about the distance first and time second. Even though I train by time I still have to go the distance.

I'm sure you'll do fine 4 weeks is a long time.

2011-04-29 11:55 AM

User image

Thank you all for the great input on the bicycle saddle!  I picked up a Bontrager saddle at my LBS and it feels like it will help a lot.  It is a little painful, but I think it's because I haven't ever ridden on a proper fitting saddle.  It feels like after a few good rides it'll be great.  I have 90 days to swap it out if it doesn't work.

Good Luck on the HM Ken and Robin!!!

Tom - I agree with IceMan 100% especially about using ice.  When I started my couch to 5K I had a lot of knee and shin pain even after running short distances.  When my distances in the couch to 5K increased even slightly I would be sore again.  I started stretching after my run and then immediately icing and it made a huge difference.  Now I ice after any long run even if there isn't any pain.

2011-04-29 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

Good luck to those racing this weekend!

My workouts include a trip to Red Lobster tonight and an Elmo birthday party tomorrow for my youngest, Evan, who turns 2.  The little bugger just started crawling out of his crib this week.  He'll spend most of his 2 year old life in timeout - my prediction.

Hoping for an 8-10 mile run at some point amidst the chaos.

2011-04-29 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3473396

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
IceManScott - 2011-04-29 12:09 PM

I started running in 2008 to see if I could do a whole triathlon instead of just the bike portion for LiveSTRONG relay teams. I did a couch to 5 K...  Then the nest spring, I joined the local run club and took advice form the experienced older runners.  

Run 3 X a week.  One speed, one hills, one long slow distance.  Increase total mileage no more than 10%.  Did my first half IM last fall...2:20 run.  I was good with that.  Faster now.  In the meantime I've learned what tendinitis is and the importance of daily rollers and yoga.  No injuries since then.  I wear straps under my knees to prevent a moving knee cap from rubbing the tendons that all join near it.  

As Ken said, there is only one way to prepare for the run, and that's running.  But we can be smart about it.  I'm up to 10 miles this spring on my long run.  Moving it to Wednesdays so it is the only workout that day.  It will increase to 2.5 hours by the IM time.  Going to do speed work Mondays, and ever increasing hill workouts on Saturdays.  That all has to be firmed up with a runner who is part of my cycling coaching group.  He did IM Wis. last year.  

Run, stretch, roll.   Ice even the most minor soreness after.  Costs nothing.  Anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen are good.   

Have fun!  I used to have the attitude that running was a necessary evil.  Now I really like it.

Good advice on that one! After any run of significant effort or distance I ice my knees down. It seems t help.

2011-04-29 1:59 PM

User image

Pro
Houston

Long Run = Ice Bath, Beer, Food, Warm Shower, Recovery Tights, Foam Roller, Stick

Edited by KeriKadi 2011-04-29 2:00 PM
2011-04-29 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3473625

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Trout - 2011-04-29 12:47 PM

Good luck to those racing this weekend!

My workouts include a trip to Red Lobster tonight and an Elmo birthday party tomorrow for my youngest, Evan, who turns 2.  The little bugger just started crawling out of his crib this week.  He'll spend most of his 2 year old life in timeout - my prediction.

Hoping for an 8-10 mile run at some point amidst the chaos.

This made me smile - have a great weekend with your family!!!

2011-04-29 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3472739

User image

Veteran
Georgia

kenj - 2011-04-29 5:34 AM Good feed back on recovery weeks and rest days!  Nice!

Robin and I have HM's this weekend, good luck Robin and have fun!

Anyone else racing that I missed or big workout plans?

Good luck to Robin and Ken this weekend..Have fun and enjoy!!

2011-04-29 7:24 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Best of luck this weekend Ken and Robin!

2011-04-30 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
Canada

Best of Luck Ken & Robin!!

Took my roadie for the first ride of 2011.  Started Sunny, the the first flat of 2011.  Always carry a tube, on my roadie & changed on side of road.  Had to be rear, so I had grease everywhere!  Once I got back on the road, started to rain!!  Despite it all got a 2 hour ride in.  

Was prepared, was dressed well, had my packable Gore-Tex rain jacket with me, so didn't really get cold, despite it being 46F.

Now that I'm showered, time to rinse my bike...

QOTD:  Would you have changed the tire or called for a pick-up?  Can you change a tire on the side of the road?  A valuable skill to acquire, if you can't...

QOTD 2:  What do you take on any long ride?  What are your "must haves" Richard

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-04-30 9:50 AM

2011-04-30 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3474693

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
GoGoGo - 2011-04-30 9:49 AM

Took my roadie for the first ride of 2011.  Started Sunny, the the first flat of 2011.  Always carry a tube, on my roadie & changed on side of road.  Had to be rear, so I had grease everywhere!  Once I got back on the road, started to rain!!  Despite it all got a 2 hour ride in.  

Was prepared, was dressed well, had my packable Gore-Tex rain jacket with me, so didn't really get cold, despite it being 46F.

QOTD:  Would you have changed the tire or called for a pick-up?  Can you change a tire on the side of the road?  A valuable skill to acquire, if you can't...

Everyone should practice changing tires AT HOME.  The rear isn't any harder than the front really.  Shift to the smallest cog in the rear, open the brake, release the wheel, lift the seat with the left hand and push down on the wheel with the right.  It should drop right out.   After fixing the flat, then reverse the process, align the chain with the smallest cog, pull up as you sit the wheel on the ground and it should slide back into the frame. No need to touch the chain.   Tighten the wheel, close the brake and ride.   There are videos of that all over the Internet.  Bicycling mag has it.  or go to your LBS and ask them to show you.  They will.  No one should be riding out in the country without knowing how to do this and having the right equipment.

Must haves, 2 tubes, two CO2 cartridges, tire tools, water, sports drink, nutrition like GU depending on how long a ride, sun screen, rain jacket depending on forecast or time of year, Road ID, cell phone in a baggie, money.  There might be something else, but can't think of it. 

90 min easy on the bike, 8 mile run to a bike shop open house, then yoga....unsure after that.  Grandson is coming for the day.  Might swim.  Easy day.

2011-04-30 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3474704

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-04-30 11:15 AM

Everyone should practice changing tires AT HOME.  The rear isn't any harder than the front really.  Shift to the smallest cog in the rear, open the brake, release the wheel, lift the seat with the left hand and push down on the wheel with the right.  It should drop right out.   After fixing the flat, then reverse the process, align the chain with the smallest cog, pull up as you sit the wheel on the ground and it should slide back into the frame. No need to touch the chain.   Tighten the wheel, close the brake and ride.   There are videos of that all over the Internet.  Bicycling mag has it.  or go to your LBS and ask them to show you.  They will.  No one should be riding out in the country without knowing how to do this and having the right equipment.

Must haves, 2 tubes, two CO2 cartridges, tire tools, water, sports drink, nutrition like GU depending on how long a ride, sun screen, rain jacket depending on forecast or time of year, Road ID, cell phone in a baggie, money.  There might be something else, but can't think of it. 

90 min easy on the bike, 8 mile run to a bike shop open house, then yoga....unsure after that.  Grandson is coming for the day.  Might swim.  Easy day.

Good advice Ice and good question Richard.

The only thing I add to that is a disposable latex glove or two.  Because no matter how easy Ice makes it sound, I still always wind up with grease on my hands.  Pull the glove off inside out and stick in the pocket and no grease on the hands!
2011-04-30 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
robingray_260 - 2011-04-29 10:42 AM

You will get there! Consistency will be the key and relish the little accomplishments along the way. I know I have said this in the past, but a little over a year ago I was where you are now.  In 2 days I am running my first HM. It is slow, but that is good - b/c getting injured sucks! Make sure you are running slow too, I found when I slowed way down I could run much farther w/o looking at my watch every 5 seconds.  Don't worry about how fast you are going for now, but how long.

Tom - I found running to be different than any other sport. While the hockey and other sports will be excellent for you cardio and strength wise, it doesn't mimic the continous pounding your legs get while running. Since you are in shape you will probably progress faster than someone of the couch, just be careful and follow the 10% rule.

I bolded "consistency" in Robin's reply because to me it is one of the big keys to successful running. My other key is patience. Patience not only in building mileage slowly and taking a lot of time to see results, but also patience in each individual run. Don't worry about your pace, just try to feel comfortable running. Try to run at a pace where you could hold a conversation, and when you are done you should feel like you could keep going if you had too.

As far as your joints adapting and acclimating goes, I have  heard, although I'm not sure if it's true, that your tendons and ligaments do strengthen in response to training, but slower  than your muscles and aerobic capacity which is why you have to be careful with increasing mileage. I have been running for about 8 years, I am careful  about following the 10% rule for increasing mileage, run 4-5 times a week, build for 3 weeks, and  then have 1 recovery week. I haven't had any running injuries, and although I am slow, I do get a little faster every year.

Anthony

2011-04-30 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3474709

User image

Expert
kenj - 2011-04-30 11:27 AM
IceManScott - 2011-04-30 11:15 AM

Good advice Ice and good question Richard.

The only thing I add to that is a disposable latex glove or two.  Because no matter how easy Ice makes it sound, I still always wind up with grease on my hands.  Pull the glove off inside out and stick in the pocket and no grease on the hands!

Yes, excellent advice. On training rides I like to have enough to change 2 tubes, but instead of 2 CO2 cartridges I carry 3 in case I mess one up. On race day I carry enough to fix 2 flats for HIM's and one flat for oly's or sprints. One season I had 3 flats all year, and 2 of them were during races.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72