BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-07-18 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3601576

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED
bad91 - 2011-07-18 11:15 AM

Chris and Hoots good job at your races.

Seren, i love rest too and I finally getting a day today.

Steph keep at the pedals, you will laugh a few years from now, when you arent falling anymore.

I have a swim question...  are there any kicking drills to improve your full leg kick?.  I apparently dont use my whole leg from the hip to kick...i guess i only use from the knee down.   

Have a nice week

My swim coach says that's what the fins are for. They help you learn to kick from the hips. Have you googled Mr. Smooth? Helps.

I have an appointment with my Rolfer in an hour. He will make the pain of my aged body go away... I hope you are right about the laughing!

2011-07-20 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3601576

User image

bad91 - 2011-07-18 8:15 AM

Chris and Hoots good job at your races.

Seren, i love rest too and I finally getting a day today.

Steph keep at the pedals, you will laugh a few years from now, when you arent falling anymore.

I have a swim question...  are there any kicking drills to improve your full leg kick?.  I apparently dont use my whole leg from the hip to kick...i guess i only use from the knee down.   

Have a nice week

Seeing as I am the worst kicker in the world, unfortunately I can't give any advice on this, other than to be aware of it while kicking.  Seriously, I suck.

2011-07-20 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3441467

User image

Sorry folks, been kind of quiet last couple days.  I find I am not that tired the day after a race, but the 2d and 3d days really kick my a$$ and I find it hard to get back in a rhythm.  Already blew off a ride and a run, which is bad because I have one longer race left.  Actually considering switching to the sprint since I really haven't been riding enough (it's only 34 miles, but hilly, with a 10 mile run after....)

I already find myself looking forward to 2012 season, and it's not even the end of July!

2011-07-22 4:10 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Thought I'd bump us back up to the top.

Just read a cool race report from my 2010 group, she just did 70.3 Racine on her 50th birthday... tiara and all!

Off to 6am swim. Somehow in the next 6 weeks I need to simulate some hill training. So I'm in search of hills in Miami for bike and run.
2011-07-22 12:20 PM

User image

Anyone racing this weekend?  Big training plans?   Watching IMLP??

Steph, I am also looking for hills on the bike.  I have an 8/27 race that's in between an Oly and a HIM, with a fairly hilly bike.  Given I haven't been on the bike in two weeks, and not much before that...  yikes!   Gotta go find some hills (or at least get on the dang thing)

2011-07-22 11:27 PM
in reply to: #3610161

User image

Los Angeles

No race this weekend...finishing my last week of building and taper for next weekends race in Goleta.  

I hoping to do 2 open water swims in Long Beach this weekend.  I have my swim class tomorrow at the rose bowl aquatic center.  I feel i have progressed in all three disciplines.  I guess we'll see next weekend

2011-07-24 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3610991

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
bad91 - 2011-07-23 12:27 AM

No race this weekend...finishing my last week of building and taper for next weekends race in Goleta.  

I hoping to do 2 open water swims in Long Beach this weekend.  I have my swim class tomorrow at the rose bowl aquatic center.  I feel i have progressed in all three disciplines.  I guess we'll see next weekend

Good luck! Feeling prepared must be nice!
2011-07-24 11:46 AM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
Two weeks to HIM!  I have been swimming a lot, as that was my weakness in the Oly a couple weeks ago.  OWS 1 mile Fri, 1.2 Sat, and 1.2 Sun.  Too bad I can't practice with people swimming over me!  Also got out and ran Sat & Sun.  I need to go buy some new gear to make sure I stay hydrated on the bike.
2011-07-25 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3612248

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
hoots - 2011-07-24 12:46 PM

Two weeks to HIM!  I have been swimming a lot, as that was my weakness in the Oly a couple weeks ago.  OWS 1 mile Fri, 1.2 Sat, and 1.2 Sun.  Too bad I can't practice with people swimming over me!  Also got out and ran Sat & Sun.  I need to go buy some new gear to make sure I stay hydrated on the bike.

Gooo HOOTS!

ChrisM, doing seated climbing on the spin bike helps... but yeah, gotta get on the bike. We have some bridges here... I don't have much time either! Gonna have to stand on those pedals and crank...
2011-07-25 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3612248

User image

hoots - 2011-07-24 9:46 AM Two weeks to HIM!  I have been swimming a lot, as that was my weakness in the Oly a couple weeks ago.  OWS 1 mile Fri, 1.2 Sat, and 1.2 Sun.  Too bad I can't practice with people swimming over me!  Also got out and ran Sat & Sun.  I need to go buy some new gear to make sure I stay hydrated on the bike.

Are you changing out to something new?  What's your hydration/nutrition plan?  I find I can squeak by in an Oly without much thought but in a HIM I need to be more vigilant, or mile 8 gets very painful (well, more painful....

2011-07-25 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3613793

User image

stephsprint - 2011-07-25 11:44 AM
hoots - 2011-07-24 12:46 PM Two weeks to HIM!  I have been swimming a lot, as that was my weakness in the Oly a couple weeks ago.  OWS 1 mile Fri, 1.2 Sat, and 1.2 Sun.  Too bad I can't practice with people swimming over me!  Also got out and ran Sat & Sun.  I need to go buy some new gear to make sure I stay hydrated on the bike.
Gooo HOOTS! ChrisM, doing seated climbing on the spin bike helps... but yeah, gotta get on the bike. We have some bridges here... I don't have much time either! Gonna have to stand on those pedals and crank...

Amen sister.  I got out Sat and did 53 miles.  The first 35 or so were flat, but then added about a 20-30 minute climb near my house at the end of the ride.  Although I swore to my riding buddies I wouldn't see them at the 7-11 at the top I ground it out.

I haven't put myself in a big hole in a long time like I did this weekend.  After the ride we went to the beach, then went to see Journey Sat nite, getting home at 12:30.  Up at 7 am, run down the beach, swim two miles, then went home and ran 5 miles up into the hills, intending to run 5 back.  I got to 9 total and said "Wtf am I doing," so had a nice 1 mile warmdown walk     It was one of those days I was so tired I couldn't even nap.

2011-07-25 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3610991

User image

bad91 - 2011-07-22 9:27 PM

Did you get your OWS in?  Manhattan Beach Sunday was pretty warm and very calm.  A little colder than last couple weeks as the wind had come up,  But great day for a swim

2011-07-25 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3613873

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
ChrisM - 2011-07-25 1:20 PM

Are you changing out to something new?  What's your hydration/nutrition plan?  I find I can squeak by in an Oly without much thought but in a HIM I need to be more vigilant, or mile 8 gets very painful (well, more painful....

I need to add the water bottle cages to the back of the seat.  I only have a profile design bottle between the aero bars, and a 20 oz bottle on the frame now.  I went through both botttles during the oly, so I want more capacity.

I also just went to tubulars, so need to find a way to carry a spare tire.  The tri suit I bought does not have nice pockets like cycling jerseys.  I saw some of the seat cages are designed to carry a tire/tube, as well.  If anyone has any recomendations, I am open.

I have been training with Cliff Shot blocks, they taste like gummy bears, and don't upset my stomach.  They are not as easy to down as a gel pack, but I have been practicing.  I will add a protein bar or some other "solid" to the bike.  It has been warm here, so I plan on getting something to drink at every aid station on the run, and dumping a glass of water over head at every station.  There is no shade on the run course at all.

2011-07-25 3:47 PM

User image

What's your liquid nutrition?  Any way to concentrate it so you can carry fewer bottles?  I.e., I use Infinit and make a 3 hour bottle, so I have one Infinit bottle and one water bottle that is replaced.

Tubulars, I know some people just tape them to a Profile Design behind the seat bottle holder, I use clinchers so don't really know.  I do know you should carry a good razor though 

2011-07-25 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3614083

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
I have been using GU Electrolyte Brew.  Between that and the solids, I have been able to intake 300 calories an hour without upsetting my stomach, so far.  That is for shorter time periods, nervous about 6 hours of that.
2011-07-30 6:12 PM

User image

Los Angeles
race tomorrow in Goleta. I think Im ready!!

2011-07-31 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3621973

User image

Expert
Boston

bad91 - 2011-07-30 7:12 PM race tomorrow in Goleta. I think Im ready!!

Good luck today!  Have an awesome race!

2011-07-31 5:44 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Well........

I did do my race today.  I have a lot to talk about...I did win my division, Clydesdales (there were 11 of us).  I had a pretty decent bike and run.  

The swim was a totally different story.  This was my first OWS....it was horrible.  I had a panic-anxiety attack starting off the swim.  I could never get into the groove or any rhythm at all.  So most of the swim was doing a breast stroke, side stroke, some freestyle.   I finished the 440 yard swim in about 10 mins but I felt i could have easily did 2 mins faster if I was doing what i had been doing in the pool.  I didnt really think anything on the bike or run.  Just biked and ran hard.  Didn't even look at my watch.

I finished in 1:04:51 and was pleasantly surprised.  Didnt really think anything of it.

My girlfriend and I hung out.  They did the awards and neglected to hand out the Clydes and Athena awards.  Someone reminded them and they handed them out.  After I heard 3rd place, went to someone who did 1:08, I figured i must have come in 2nd or 3rd.  I didnt get second and they awarded 1st to a guy I passed during the run and I finished about a minute ahead of him.  I went to the Race Director and explained that I finished in 1:04 and that I was ahead of the guy that had been awarded 1st.  The RD checked the results and said you are absolutely right and I was awarded 1st.   I was happy even though I am pretty bummed about the swim portion.   I have another Tri in Vegas on 8/28...so i want to be prepared this time around.  So i will be doing a bunch of OWS prior to this race.

Also, I want to thank my g/f for her support.  She puts up with the hours of training that I do.  Also, my coach, Tawnee Prazak.  She belives in me and I am grateful to have her as my coach.

Seren, thanks for your support too...you constantly send my inspires and I appreciate your support too. 

2011-08-01 5:46 AM
in reply to: #3622723

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
bad91 - 2011-07-31 6:44 PM

Well........

I did do my race today.  I have a lot to talk about...I did win my division, Clydesdales (there were 11 of us).  I had a pretty decent bike and run.  

The swim was a totally different story.  This was my first OWS....it was horrible.  I had a panic-anxiety attack starting off the swim.  I could never get into the groove or any rhythm at all.  So most of the swim was doing a breast stroke, side stroke, some freestyle.   I finished the 440 yard swim in about 10 mins but I felt i could have easily did 2 mins faster if I was doing what i had been doing in the pool.  I didnt really think anything on the bike or run.  Just biked and ran hard.  Didn't even look at my watch.

I finished in 1:04:51 and was pleasantly surprised.  Didnt really think anything of it.

My girlfriend and I hung out.  They did the awards and neglected to hand out the Clydes and Athena awards.  Someone reminded them and they handed them out.  After I heard 3rd place, went to someone who did 1:08, I figured i must have come in 2nd or 3rd.  I didnt get second and they awarded 1st to a guy I passed during the run and I finished about a minute ahead of him.  I went to the Race Director and explained that I finished in 1:04 and that I was ahead of the guy that had been awarded 1st.  The RD checked the results and said you are absolutely right and I was awarded 1st.   I was happy even though I am pretty bummed about the swim portion.   I have another Tri in Vegas on 8/28...so i want to be prepared this time around.  So i will be doing a bunch of OWS prior to this race.

Also, I want to thank my g/f for her support.  She puts up with the hours of training that I do.  Also, my coach, Tawnee Prazak.  She belives in me and I am grateful to have her as my coach.

Seren, thanks for your support too...you constantly send my inspires and I appreciate your support too. 

That's fantastic! The OWS is the part I felt I could have done better on my first try July 4th. You did GREAT! By the time I crossed the finish line they were out of the dog tags they gave for finishers. I have two friends that gave me theirs later... it was sweet of them as it was my first tri. Your g/f must be wonderful like my spouse. Yay! You're a winner!
2011-08-02 12:01 PM

User image

Excellent woek Brent!   Way to overcome a challenging swim to hammer an AG win!
2011-08-03 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3625530

User image

Expert
Nice job Brent! A win! It looks like I won't be racing after all this year, but I am living vicariously through you all and still training when I get the chance. I have had a maor change in my focus at work and I will have to start traveling for some training that apparently they cannot give me in NY state. So kill it everyone!

2011-08-03 1:39 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Thxs all for the compliments.  

I am in Palm Springs this week for vacation.  Still doing my workouts.  In fact, I just got in from a 5 mile run and I cant cool down!!  I am going to Minnesota next week for 6 days so its going to be a challenge to continue my workouts.  

Gator, I hope you still get to do your training.  I know you can find a way to do it.  Good luck with your job!!

Hope everyone is having a good week.  

2011-08-05 1:05 PM

Hi Everyone,

How exciting to see everyone racing and making training progress!

I was wondering if I could pick your brains (yet again) in regards to chiropractors and Active Release Technique?

I've been having knee pain for the past 3 years which is really hindering me progressing more in my running and triathlon. I went to two different chiropractors the past two weeks for ART, and my experience has been very contrasting so I do not know what is a good ART session, if any of them are phonies, etc. If any of you know anyone who has been through this, or have gone through it yourselves I would be very grateful for feedback/suggestions, especially it seems that no insurance covers ART so I want to make sure I make a good decision

Chiro#1: Found pain in my patella/knee cap so did ART on there on both legs. It was very painful, more like a deep tissue sports massage. She did not look at my IT Band though, and afterwards my ITB was very tight. She said I could mountain bike after my session so I did (1 hour later) and my kneecap/patella area was very sore and tender for 3-4 days afterwards.

Chiro#2: Performed ART on my hamstring, ITB, and shin/calf area on left leg. But, this ART session was very different in that there was hardly any pain, not similar at all to a massage. Instead, he would start at the top of my leg (hip bone), press a point, have me move my leg up and down, and then do the same thing working from the top of leg to bottom of leg. He did that on the outside of my leg, the inside, and the lower leg bone, took only about 10 minutes. He says I cannot work out for a week.

I don't know if ART is supposed to be painful like sports massage, or painless, or neither?

Thanks for reading
Jennifer
2011-08-05 1:16 PM

User image

Jennifer, my experience is really a combo of the 2, although usually more like #2, he finds a pressure point, and then moves along the muscle while I bend my knee or flex my ankle, or whatever the area is.  I think that's the "active" part.  Although sometimes it is also simply some deep tissue work.  You are in the south bay?  or local?  I've got a great guy in Torrance that works with USAT and cyclists, he has gotten me through and to basically every race where I've been injured beforehand.  Let me know and I'll post the name

ETA  = I don't usually do any training except swim after an ART session.  His advice depends on the severity of the injury, if it's close to a race he basically says don't run, ride if there's no pain.  If not close to a race, he says play it by ear.  He is a huge proponent of daily foam rollering.  But, like flossing, I usually don't do it unless I really need to.

Edited by ChrisM 2011-08-05 1:20 PM
2011-08-05 1:18 PM

User image

I did something different and actually raced last night (Thursday).  There used to be a monthly aquathlon series here on the beach, but they started going to various so cal beaches including San Diego, and were on the weekends.  Last night they did a 10th anniversary Thursday night race, 1K swim, 5K run.  It was weird leaving work to go race

Did pretty well in the swim, 2 AG and 19 OA, but my run continues to suck, ran a 30 and change 5K.  Certainly didn't feel like 10+ mm..........

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20