BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-12-29 6:09 AM
in reply to: #3959056

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED
I just left the YMCA. They had  the dreaded fire alarm and were draggin dudes out in the snow in their speedos! It is -1 here right now with the wind chill. Lucky for me I have seen this scenario once before and I was able to grab my stuff and get to my car. Crazy.

2011-12-29 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3959142

User image

Expert
Illinois

gator22 - 2011-12-29 6:09 AM I just left the YMCA. They had  the dreaded fire alarm and were draggin dudes out in the snow in their speedos! It is -1 here right now with the wind chill. Lucky for me I have seen this scenario once before and I was able to grab my stuff and get to my car. Crazy.

Now that seems wrong. Was it an actual emergency or just a drill? Ugh....

Ken - I am sure this has been discussed to death, but can we have a discussion on bike cadence, more specifically how important is it to work on higher cadence? I can hold 90-100 in the small chain ring but not in large, at least not without major heart rate spike, thus sacrificing speed.  A guy at the LBS said that swapping out the standard crank for a shorter crank on my tri bike would help with cadence, but I am not 100% convinced this is necessary. 

2011-12-29 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3956222

User image

Regular
Maryland
CyborgQueen - 2011-12-27 4:03 PM

I'm gonna ask the ladies -

I'm getting married in September (woot!), and I wanted to know how I can keep my Triathlon tan lines to a minimum? I will have straps.  So far, my arms looks pretty tan, but my neck area is very light, due to not wearing a lot of racerback style shirts/no triathlons, etc. All the lines are caused by cycling.  Legs, I don't care, you ain't gonna see them.

I know it's bad, but I normally do not put sunblock/lotion (with exception on my face and lips) Only because I feel like it's "heavy", after a while, it gets "sticky".  Unless if there's a product that's guarantee that won't cause issues even for the most pickiest person. I'm so sensitive to anything that I put on my skin (not allergic sensitive, just tactile sensitive).

A friend suggested that I put 30-50 spf, and just get out there and do what I can do, then when the wedding roll around, I can get a spray tan, go to the tanning booth a couple times to even it out, however, she's not a triathlete. 

Any suggestions? :-D

Hey DJ, I don't know what to tell you about what kind of top to wear, but I can recommend a sunscreen.  Have you ever tried the Neutrogena spray-on, ultra-sheer, or ultimate sport products?  I find them to be much lighter than most.  Haven't tried the sport version, but I know the ultra-sheer is really light and goes on dry.

2011-12-29 8:05 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

gator22 - 2011-12-29 7:09 AM I just left the YMCA. They had  the dreaded fire alarm and were draggin dudes out in the snow in their speedos! It is -1 here right now with the wind chill. Lucky for me I have seen this scenario once before and I was able to grab my stuff and get to my car. Crazy.

That doesn't sound like fun.  I wonder if that happened at my Y, which way would the life guards make us go out?  Directly through one of the 2 emergency doors or through the locker room?  I couldn't imagine being outside in a speedo this morning, I didn't want to go outside in my street clothes with a jacket for that matter!

2011-12-29 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3959232

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
abake - 2011-12-29 8:20 AM

gator22 - 2011-12-29 6:09 AM I just left the YMCA. They had  the dreaded fire alarm and were draggin dudes out in the snow in their speedos! It is -1 here right now with the wind chill. Lucky for me I have seen this scenario once before and I was able to grab my stuff and get to my car. Crazy.

Ken - I am sure this has been discussed to death, but can we have a discussion on bike cadence, more specifically how important is it to work on higher cadence? I can hold 90-100 in the small chain ring but not in large, at least not without major heart rate spike, thus sacrificing speed.  A guy at the LBS said that swapping out the standard crank for a shorter crank on my tri bike would help with cadence, but I am not 100% convinced this is necessary. 

I don't think you are getting good advice from your bike shop, or you misunderstood them.  You can change the crank from a standard to a compact and that will change your cadence.  That is because you are changing the gear ratio of both the big and the small gear.  You can do the same thing by changing the cassette on on the back of the bike too unless you have already done so.  If you cannot maintain the desired cadence, then you do need to go down a gear.  This is where time in the saddle building endurance is beneficial.  BUT, pushing the bigger gears, even at a lower cadence helps develop leg strength.  My opinion, is that the goal for cadence should be to develop a comfort level and the leg strength to manage a wider range of cadence. 

As far as crank length, the desired goal in changing crank length is to improve the fit on the bike.  For instance, if you can get low in an aero position, but your hip angle at top dead center of the pedal stroke is too tight, you can either raise the aero bars to optimize the hip angle or put on a shorter crank to open the hips up. 

ETA: I do recommend considering a compact crank if where you ride is at all hilly.  I have it on my road bike which is the bike I ride if I am going to be doing much hill climbing. 

Edited by kenj 2011-12-29 8:21 AM
2011-12-29 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

gator22 - 2011-12-29 7:09 AM I just left the YMCA. They had  the dreaded fire alarm and were draggin dudes out in the snow in their speedos! It is -1 here right now with the wind chill. Lucky for me I have seen this scenario once before and I was able to grab my stuff and get to my car. Crazy.

Brrrrrr.. That sounds crazy....

2011-12-29 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3958919

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: RE: Thanks everyone
pmitch - 2011-12-28 10:45 PM

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.  Yes, this is our first one...getting a late start but better late than never!  Now I just to get my back better so I can get back out there.

PM

Congrats on the baby.. It is on the hush hush.. Hope your back gets to feeling better soon.

2011-12-29 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3959354

User image

Expert
Illinois

I don't think you are getting good advice from your bike shop, or you misunderstood them.  You can change the crank from a standard to a compact and that will change your cadence.  That is because you are changing the gear ratio of both the big and the small gear.  You can do the same thing by changing the cassette on on the back of the bike too unless you have already done so.  If you cannot maintain the desired cadence, then you do need to go down a gear.  This is where time in the saddle building endurance is beneficial.  BUT, pushing the bigger gears, even at a lower cadence helps develop leg strength.  My opinion, is that the goal for cadence should be to develop a comfort level and the leg strength to manage a wider range of cadence. 

As far as crank length, the desired goal in changing crank length is to improve the fit on the bike.  For instance, if you can get low in an aero position, but your hip angle at top dead center of the pedal stroke is too tight, you can either raise the aero bars to optimize the hip angle or put on a shorter crank to open the hips up. 

ETA: I do recommend considering a compact crank if where you ride is at all hilly.  I have it on my road bike which is the bike I ride if I am going to be doing much hill climbing. 

Thanks Ken, this clarifies some things for me. The guy at the bike shop suggested making the change during a bike fitting last year. It is very likely that I misunderstood what he was suggesting. 

2011-12-29 9:00 AM
in reply to: #3959469

User image

Veteran
Georgia
abake - 2011-12-29 9:49 AM

Thanks Ken, this clarifies some things for me. The guy at the bike shop suggested making the change during a bike fitting last year. It is very likely that I misunderstood what he was suggesting. 

X2

I agree with Ken here.. I have a compact crank on my tri bike and I enjoy it a lot..I can really pass people going up hills because I'm able to keep my cadence up and most of the time I'm still able to stay in aero...I ride standard cranks on my road bike and use this bike for group rides, and hill repeats.. It does build more leg strength which helps me keep my cadence up on my tri bike in the big gears.. As Ken said this is where time in the saddle is very beneficial, because you can adapt and become more comfortable with your cadence in different gears..

FYI: The crank length is all about bike fit, because I think Craig Alexander crank arm length was 167.50 on his bike for Kona this year and I know in the back of my mind that is not standard for his height..

2011-12-29 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3959354

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kenj - 2011-12-29 8:16 AM

I love me my compact cranks.  With an 11/28 on the back, I climb better and give up little if anything on flats.

90-100 rpms is cool.  I am usually in the high 80s, like 88, for longer rides.   Experiment, you'll find what's comfortable.  The key is to less strain on the bike so you have more for the run.  

2011-12-29 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3956286

User image

Regular
Maryland
CarlaLThompson - 2011-12-27 4:35 PM 2011 Ironman Florida Race Report
"Life after DNF"

http://carlalthompson.blogspot.com/2011/11/ironman-florida-ironman-distance-date.html

As part of my closure for 2011, I wanted to finish up my Race Report from Ironman Florida.  As you can imagine it was not easy to write, but I really want to release what happened there and free myself up for what is to be in 2012.  

Carla, that was an inspiring and moving report.  Congrats on moving forward with your dream.  You will make it this year.

2011-12-29 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3956684

User image

Regular
Maryland
Subject: RE: No idea what happened but what a great day!
pmitch - 2011-12-27 8:56 PM

No idea what happened today.  Only ran a couple miles yesterday, very low key.  Went to the Portland Trail Blazers game last night (great game....beat the 76ers) and was sitting next to a big guy which forced me to lean on my right side (or should I say cheek) to watch the game with my wife.  Pretty uncomfortable but it was fine.  By the time I got home, my back was a little sore but didn't think anything of it.  When I woke up this morning, I had to crawl out of bed.  Can't stay in one position for too long and am in PAIN.  I managed to get myself to work but this is horrible.  I am giving it over night before I go to the Dr., but I am sure I am out of commission for the week.

The reason why I say it was a great day is that my wife just let me know we are expecting!  I know I shouldn't be talking about it until she is at least 12 weeks but I gotta tell someone.  Ok everyone...keep the secret! 

PM

PM

Congratulations!! We'll keep it quiet.  But, yay!~

2011-12-29 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3959519

User image

Expert
Illinois
IceManScott - 2011-12-29 9:03 AM
kenj - 2011-12-29 8:16 AM

I love me my compact cranks.  With an 11/28 on the back, I climb better and give up little if anything on flats.

90-100 rpms is cool.  I am usually in the high 80s, like 88, for longer rides.   Experiment, you'll find what's comfortable.  The key is to less strain on the bike so you have more for the run.  

OK this is good information. My road bike has a compact crank and I will say that hills are easier on that bike. I live in a very flat area, but have signed up for a HIM in a hilly area. 

2011-12-29 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
There was a discussion earlier about cadence on the bike and stride rate on the run being directly related.  Was up last night (instead of sleeping) and wondering if the same is true with swimming.  Do people who flutter kick (vs. 2beat) have higher cadences on the bike and run? Just curious if anyone had read anything on this. I have a strong flutter kick and my sweet spot on the bike is just under 90.
2011-12-29 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Does anybody do weight training in the winter? I'm thinking about starting in on a program again but I'd love to hear your thoughts and recommendations before I start.
2011-12-29 12:32 PM
in reply to: #3960109

User image

Expert
Canada

acv - 2011-12-29 2:25 PM Does anybody do weight training in the winter? I'm thinking about starting in on a program again but I'd love to hear your thoughts and recommendations before I start.

I have done this in the season on occasion.  I did 3X per week & cardio on other days.  

I think it depends on your goals...

If you want to podium then you are wasting time & energy.  The upper body muscle mass if dead weight.

If you want to compete, be healthy & all around fitness, definitely do it.  Many feel that it would prevent injuries as well.

JMHO...

2011-12-29 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3960046

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

robingray_260 - 2011-12-29 12:58 PM There was a discussion earlier about cadence on the bike and stride rate on the run being directly related.  Was up last night (instead of sleeping) and wondering if the same is true with swimming.  Do people who flutter kick (vs. 2beat) have higher cadences on the bike and run? Just curious if anyone had read anything on this. I have a strong flutter kick and my sweet spot on the bike is just under 90.

The article I read did not mention the swim Robin, but I think there may be some corrolation.  I have read that there is an optimal rythm for swimming and that they sell metronomes designed for swimming.  I beleive though that it was refering more to the pull rather than the kick.  This one of the areas I have little bit of a problem with (amongst others) is I have a slow pull. 

2011-12-29 12:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

acv - 2011-12-29 12:25 PM Does anybody do weight training in the winter? I'm thinking about starting in on a program again but I'd love to hear your thoughts and recommendations before I start.

I have in the past.  Did a lot last winter to gain upper body strength for the IM swim.   Now I want to shed some of it because I'm carrying 20 pounds more than I'd like. I have a weight machine and free weights.  I try to stay moderate on the weights and do high reps to train smooth lean muscles rather than bulk.  Meeting a PT tomorrow who teaches kettlebells.  I'm going to try to incorporate some of it into my week.  2x weekly, 30 mins a time. 

2011-12-29 12:47 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

acv - 2011-12-29 1:25 PM Does anybody do weight training in the winter? I'm thinking about starting in on a program again but I'd love to hear your thoughts and recommendations before I start.

I try to, but I usually don't get in as much as I would like.  I think there is some advantage to it, especially as we get older.  The debates here go on and on about the value of it and both sides have valid arguments.  I don't disagree that if you want to be a better swimmer/cyclist/runner than the biggest return is in swimming/cycling/running.  But I can't see how it can hurt to add in some strength training.  I think this is especially true when talking about explosive type exercises like plyometrics.  Working the core, which includes the hips, back, glutes is also important. 

Usually the first thing to go for me when the volume gets higher is the strength training. 

If nothing else, strength training in the off season is a good way to burn some fat and do something different. 

2011-12-29 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
I do some weight training in the offseason not so much once I start<br> racing..Im not really focused on muscle mass...I have used some of the exercises that are listed under the weight training forum of BT. I try and do a lot of core focus excercises...
2011-12-29 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3960178

User image

Expert
kenj - 2011-12-29 12:47 PM

acv - 2011-12-29 1:25 PM Does anybody do weight training in the winter? I'm thinking about starting in on a program again but I'd love to hear your thoughts and recommendations before I start.

I try to, but I usually don't get in as much as I would like.  I think there is some advantage to it, especially as we get older.  The debates here go on and on about the value of it and both sides have valid arguments.  I don't disagree that if you want to be a better swimmer/cyclist/runner than the biggest return is in swimming/cycling/running.  But I can't see how it can hurt to add in some strength training.  I think this is especially true when talking about explosive type exercises like plyometrics.  Working the core, which includes the hips, back, glutes is also important. 

Usually the first thing to go for me when the volume gets higher is the strength training. 

If nothing else, strength training in the off season is a good way to burn some fat and do something different. 

I used to get into these debates and then stopped. MY opinion is that strength training is one of the best things you can do all year, even in season. It always kills me when people talk about "adding bulk". It is hard to get big and muscular, or all the dudes in Zubaz pants and tank tops would do it. As long as you are eating correctly, you can lift heavy weights and get strong without getting big.  I need strength for my job so I carry more muscle mass than is ideal for triathlon, but I would rather stay alive than win a medal for a race.  I firmly believe that a program focused on full body compound movements can be a difference maker for you as far as power and injury prevention.  Scott mentioned Kettlebells. They are awesome for this!

2011-12-29 4:00 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Strength Training  -- During the off season, I started doing circuit type workouts 3 or 4x a week. Mostly low weights, squats, pushups, core stuff,  plus some plyo moves. I was getting workouts from OnDemand TV -- Jillian Michaels Biggest Loser, Chris Freytag 10 Pound Xtreme, and Butt Bible (yes really). It was a nice change and they were kind of fun, if only because they were so different from the s/b/r stuff. Little by little the spare tire is coming off and a nice side effect is that on my longer runs, I don't get the lower back pain that I used to get. I'm hoping to be able to continue with these types of workouts as we go into the 2012 season, as I think they are quite helpful.
2011-12-29 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Wow I have to check this forum more often. Everytime I log in there is over a page of discussion to read. Glad to be in such an active group!

I also ride a compact crank on my road bike (I don't have a tri bike) and love it. The areas I ride in are hilly. I don't do any strength training, but that's basically because I'm not very knowledgable about it. There is a group class at my gym called Body Pump that I used to take and I really liked it because they showed me exactly what exercises to do. When left on my own, I'm not very good at creating a good/challengng weight workout. It's something I'm interested in learning more about and trying to work into my training in the future. Although at this point, I'm just working on getting back to basics: a consistant running & cycling routine (I'm not even thinking about swimming yet). I've been consistent with doing short easy run for a week and have cleared out a place in my garage and set up my trainer & DVD player (I have some Spinervals DVDs). Slowly but surely...

2011-12-29 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3960715

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

abake - 2011-12-29 4:00 PM Strength Training  -- During the off season, I started doing circuit type workouts 3 or 4x a week. Mostly low weights, squats, pushups, core stuff,  plus some plyo moves. I was getting workouts from OnDemand TV -- Jillian Michaels Biggest Loser, Chris Freytag 10 Pound Xtreme, and Butt Bible (yes really). It was a nice change and they were kind of fun, if only because they were so different from the s/b/r stuff. Little by little the spare tire is coming off and a nice side effect is that on my longer runs, I don't get the lower back pain that I used to get. I'm hoping to be able to continue with these types of workouts as we go into the 2012 season, as I think they are quite helpful.

Thanks for this info, just went on Amazon & looks like some of these are available pretty cheap on DVDs.

2011-12-29 5:03 PM
in reply to: #3960737

User image

Expert
Illinois
jpbis26 - 2011-12-29 4:12 PM

abake - 2011-12-29 4:00 PM Strength Training  -- During the off season, I started doing circuit type workouts 3 or 4x a week. Mostly low weights, squats, pushups, core stuff,  plus some plyo moves. I was getting workouts from OnDemand TV -- Jillian Michaels Biggest Loser, Chris Freytag 10 Pound Xtreme, and Butt Bible (yes really). It was a nice change and they were kind of fun, if only because they were so different from the s/b/r stuff. Little by little the spare tire is coming off and a nice side effect is that on my longer runs, I don't get the lower back pain that I used to get. I'm hoping to be able to continue with these types of workouts as we go into the 2012 season, as I think they are quite helpful.

Thanks for this info, just went on Amazon & looks like some of these are available pretty cheap on DVDs.

Those Spinervals are good workouts too. I don't do very well either if left to my own devices.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72