BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 100

2012-04-23 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4123247

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED

Okay Dewayne, 52 (or 54, or 67!) isn't old.  Though it was kind of fun to snarl at the 20+ year olds as they went flying past on the run on Sunday... "see you in 30 years"... and then realizing they hadn't even lived that long yet.  I think they got the last laugh on me :-)  Congrats on your du performance - fun thing to du with the one you love!  The long cycle event sounds great.  I'm hoping to do one with my BIL this summer - either part of a big group ride or just on our own (Blue Ridge Parkway).  I need a destination bike journey to get my miles in (or something).  My technique is improving, but I still don't really have the endurance necessary for an OLY, let alone HIM, race.

Ah well, tomorrow's marathon is driving to Florida and I'm avoiding packing like the plague.  Night all!

2012-04-23 9:51 PM
in reply to: #4168594

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
juneapple - 2012-04-23 9:48 PM

Okay Dewayne, 52 (or 54, or 67!) isn't old.  Though it was kind of fun to snarl at the 20+ year olds as they went flying past on the run on Sunday... "see you in 30 years"... and then realizing they hadn't even lived that long yet.  I think they got the last laugh on me :-)  Congrats on your du performance - fun thing to du with the one you love!  The long cycle event sounds great.  I'm hoping to do one with my BIL this summer - either part of a big group ride or just on our own (Blue Ridge Parkway).  I need a destination bike journey to get my miles in (or something).  My technique is improving, but I still don't really have the endurance necessary for an OLY, let alone HIM, race.

Ah well, tomorrow's marathon is driving to Florida and I'm avoiding packing like the plague.  Night all!

Stu, I've felt for quite a while that somehow you and I should be able to meet up on the BRP for a ride, and every time I have that thought I realize that the entire state of NC lies between us....  Have a safe journey tomorrow (or whenever you get done packing...).

2012-04-24 7:03 AM

User image

Master
Good Morning! How is everyone's week going so far?

We've had amazing weather these last few weeks. I'm enjoying it while I can.

There has been a change of plans for my summer HIM. I will now be racing at BSLT instead of going out of state to race this summer. It was going to end up costing an extra 1,000+ to race out of state. The costs of flights, tri bike transport, rental car and extra nights at the hotel added up quickly.

Hope everyone has a great day!
2012-04-24 7:42 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Hi Rene -- yeah this racing thing can get pretty spendy, eh?  I race almost entirely local races for that reason.  They are also less stressful.

Week is surprisingly good so far.  I'm slowly learning to become a heartless administrator who doesn't think that YOUR emergency is my biggest problem, and that's helping.  (Kidding.  Sort of.)  Hard ride for me today and then I begin a 10-day taper, which will drive me nuts.

2012-04-24 8:48 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
So I got up at 4:20 this morning and got my bike ride (on the trainer) out of the way for the day. I have decided I am going to try to get my workouts done early instead of missing bedtime with the kids while working out at night. This is a major change for me. We will see how it goes.

I figure it will take about a month to adjust to the early morning training. I have been getting up early for swims about three times/week but still occasionally sleep in. I figure if I just get up at the same time every day it will cut out some of the sleeping-in-instead-of-swimming problem. Anyone else out there do this?

Most days from here on out have two workouts. My run today is a short one and I will do it right after work, before going home. I hope that the schedule change will make training relatively invisible to the family. No one is complaining right now. I just want to make sure that I am there for my wife and kids at dinner time and for evening activities; homework, reading time, etc... Of course, I won't be able to hide the fact that I am ready for bed by 9:30.
2012-04-24 1:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Ok, I'd like to know how everyone sets up their training schedule. I read the post in the Triathlon Talk forum asking how often everyone works out, and it seems the consensus was 6-7 days. That's how much I find myself wanting to train, and my training plan isn't quite keeping up, so I've pretty much scrapped it at this point. I've found that most of my workouts go longer than the time on my plan, and I prefer the flexibility of making my own days based on my schedule. For instance, I usually do a long run on Saturdays with a group, and I'd like to plan my week around that. Does anyone have a general daily regimen they follow? I'm looking at this right now:

Monday-choice (SBR or rest)

Tuesday-bike

Wednesday-run/swim

Thursday-swim/bike

Friday-swim/run

Saturday-Long run or bike

Sunday-swim/bike

I'm trying to emphasize the swim, since I feel it's my weakest area at this point. What does everyone think?

P.S.-my wife thinks I'm completely insane at this point. Embarassed

2012-04-24 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Jason- I wake up at 4:45 during the week. On the weekends during the winter, I will sleep in until 5 or 6 and wait for it to warm up before going out for my workout. During the summer/fall months, I get up earlier to run before the sun comes out.

The dogs are trained to eat breakfast at 4:45. They're the best training partners to have. Nothing like 2 dogs panting in your face to get you out of bed early. If I don't feed them then they whine..So it is easier to get up than go back to sleep. If we want to sleep in then my husband will feed them really late so they will sleep a bit longer.

Scheduling: My schedule is set by my coach. But this is the normal pattern for the week during the school year:

Monday-before work- Swim-Masters/ run after work
Tuesday-before work- Bike/ run after work
Wednesday- before work-Swim-Masters/ run after work
Thursday- before work- Bike/Run after work
Friday- before work- Swim-Masters/run after work
Saturday- Long Bike/nap/ Run and or swim
Sunday- Long Run/nap/ Bike
**Weekend swims are dependent on upcoming race distances/schedules.

The schedule will change somewhat once school is out. Most of my "A" races are planned for the summer/fall months to take advantage of additional training time.

Speaking of running after work.... I have a track workout to do...
2012-04-24 6:43 PM

User image

Master
Back from the track. Happy with work today. Ran my intervals at what is a normal running pace for some of our group members. I will be joining you at that pace in the near future.

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEHQ9tzJpYA&feature=related

or this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X38PCf7kao

Edited by Catwoman 2012-04-24 7:04 PM
2012-04-24 7:30 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
My training schedule for this week (which is still somewhat of a recovery week):

Mon. Swim 2500

Tue. Bike 1hr 10 min, run 3-4 easy miles

Wed. Swim 2000, bike 1 hr at moderate effort

Thr. Run 5-6 fairly easy, bike 1 hr 30 min with some tougher intervals

Fri. Swim 2800

Sat. Run 8-9 easy

Sun. Bike 2 + hrs with intervals, 3-4 easy miles off the bike.

The schedule changes every week because of work, family and life obligations and it will obviously get more and more as IM prep really kicks in. I am pretty diligent about following the schedule once it is made. I almost always find a way to get the training in. Smart? I don't know but my OCD traits make it happen.....
2012-04-24 8:34 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey Gang-been on the road with work all day.  Had a good run tonight...weather was great.  I feel really good about my run right now.  Hopefully, that will translate to a good run during my race Sunday.

Typical training week

Monday- Lunch Swim 2500-3000  Evening Easy 60 minute ride

Tuesday- 45-60 minute run with intervals/speed work

Wed.-2500 Lunch swim   Evening 1-1.5 hour ride with intervals

Thursday 45-60 minute run

Friday    2500 swim  Evening easy hour ride

Sat.  2 hour ride with intervals/20 minute run off bike

Sunday 1 hour easy run 

This usually works out to 8-12 hours a week depending on adjustments in length of run and bike workouts. I don't take many full rest days but will often have a day where I do an easy swim or bike as "active recovery". Once or twice a week I will get up early to get in a workout at 5am......ususally when I am on the road for work and not able to work out at lunch.  Breakdown is usually 3 swims/3-4 runs/3-4 bike.

Randy    

2012-04-24 9:14 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Rene -- Do I have to choose?  They both make me want to train and make me feel stupid for missing my swim session yesterday.

Jamie -- My schedule is very unpredictable from day to day, so I don't try to plan things out in terms of days and times.  Instead, I have a general idea about how much and what kinds of S/B/R I want to accomplish in a given week, and then try to make that happen in a way that allows me to hit my target workouts in some reasonable fashion.  How to do so is a very complicated topic but the simple version (which is 90% of the useful take-home message) can be expressed in just two guidelines:  (1) Be prepared (no, I was never a Boy Scout).  (2) Keep the key workouts as far apart as possible.  The first point refers both to preparing (at the beginning of each day I think about my schedule and what workouts I can fit in that day) and to having the necessary gear at hand (shoes, swim suit, bike ready to roll, etc.) to tak advantage of unanticipated opportunities to work out.

2012-04-24 9:15 PM

User image

Expert
My schedule is not very regimented but typically do my longer bike/runs on weekends.  I try to maintain my volume in training by getting in the other sessions either before or after work, and schedule around my kids activities etc.  On a day to day basis, I don't always know what I will be able to get done until the time presents itself.
2012-04-24 9:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Thanks for the input on scheduling everybody! I think I'll try the one I proposed for a week or so and see how it goes. Of course, I had a bike ride planned for today, but it was insanely windy outside, so I opted for a swim/run instead-so there's day one
2012-04-25 1:55 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-keep us updated on how the new schedule does for you. Be careful not to overdo it.

Rene-enjoyed the videos. Good stuff.

Swim at lunch for me.  Nothing special. Some laps felt good, some not so good. 200 for time at the end.....first time under 3 minutes coming in at 2:56-57. Fairly hard hour bike on schedule for this evening.

Randy

2012-04-25 10:08 PM

User image

Massachusetts

Rene -- love the No Excuses video. If I listened to half the (lame!) excuses that go through my head, I'd never workout. 

Tomorrow is Wellness Day at my work. Lots of exercise programs are being offered along with health information, etc. I signed up for a group run. I've NEVER run with a group! (Unless you count doing laps around the field with my softball team in high school). I don't have really high expectations, but I have been really wanting to organize a running group for Fridays after work. Maybe I'll find someone to join me. 

2012-04-26 4:10 AM

User image

Expert

Good morning,

Peak training weeks leading up to IM are pretty busy!  I love the challenge associated with this.  The weight loss, the improvements, the pre-race excitement.  I've heard many say that IM's are often more about the journey getting to the start line than the race itself.  I'm definitely feeling more prepared for IM Texas than I was last year. 

I need to maintain focus to get though these weeks!  So far, so good.  Taper rapidly approaching  and am curious what others do during tapers to get through them?  I don't like tapering.  I know it's necessary, and that I don't lose fitness, but still I have a hard time with this mentally.  Appreciate any thoughts, strategies others have used that have worked? Jim

2012-04-26 5:06 AM

User image

Master

Training schedule: When husband is home, I do majority of it when he gets home from work, whatever it may be. I was able to focus a lot of my time on swim training for tris with his help.

Now that husband isn't home and I'm committed to a couple running relays, the 1.5 hours I have before I pick up the kids from school has been dedicated to running. Taking it a day at a time though really. I do my home workouts while the kids are off doing their own things around the house. 1 to 1 hr 15 min.

I haven't been able to do any races since the Xterra though. Babysitting issues and such. I do get to do my planned relay race this weekend. Luckily I set this up well in advance with the parents. I'm thinking of looking around for a good, used baby jogger to push my daughter in while the boy and I run the Saturday 5k's together, but I won't be competing, that's for sure.

Looking forward to the 48 mile relay race on Saturday. I have a 3.7 mile leg, then we just follow our team around and have pizza after. Good fun.

Edited by Blanda 2012-04-26 5:07 AM
2012-04-26 9:23 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Good morning all. Fourth consecutive day of 4:30 wake up. This morning I came dangerously close to going back to bed but reminded myself of how mad I would be if I didn't get up. So 1.25 hrs on the bike is officially done for the day.

Jimmy, taper madness....... I think I mentioned in my earlier post about scheduling workouts that I am pretty regimented about doing the training once it is on the schedule. So..... I just have the scheduled workouts for the taper and do them. I don't question it. I don't add. I don't think. I just do them. You have mentioned that you are more free-form in your schedule so I can see where this would be tougher. I guess I would constantly remind myself that anything I do that causes a recovery penalty is going to hurt, not help my race. If I was itching too much and had to add something in, I guess it would be a swim because that is probably the hardest one to hurt yourself doing.

Anecdotally, my unexpected achilles "discomfort" caused me to basically do a no running for the week prior to Boston taper and I don't think it changed things at all-other than the effect of allowing my achilles to heal up so I could run.
2012-04-26 10:51 AM

User image

Massachusetts

Jason - nice job with the early morning workouts! My swim routine is about to change (the pool I currently swim in closes after Memorial Day for the summer) and my best training option is to join a Master's group from 5-6 a.m. So I'm right there with you getting into a new early routine.

I survived my first group run. The weather couldn't have been better -- sunny and about 58 degrees - and I got to explore a lot of new trails and conservation land. The group is planning to run at lunch twice a week, so I think I've got some new training partners. They'll definitely keep me honest and nudge me up a few more hills than I'd seek out on my own. I'm so glad I followed through with it and didn't psych myself out thinking that I wasn't a strong enough runner to run with a group.

2012-04-26 11:43 AM

User image

California

I got in for the Nike 1/2 Marathon in San Francisco in October.  Looking forward to crossing the finish line and being handed a tiffany necklace from a firefighter. This will be my 3rd 1/2 marathon.  

This week turned out to be bad for me on getting workouts in.  I'm putting together a slideshow to present for a year's worth of photos on activities an organization I belong to has done.  It's a lot more time consuming than I thought and a lot harder to choose photos for a 10 min video.  

I'm trying to do Mondays: Swim  / Tuesdays: Active Rest / Wednesdays: Run / Thursdays: Bike & Swim / Fridays: Active Rest / Saturdays: Run / Sundays: Bike  And some mornings conditioning/strength stuff.  I figured this would be a good base to build on for tri workouts. 

2012-04-26 7:49 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Having never done a full IM my tapers are typically a good bit shorter.  This week leading into my olympic race on Sunday my training has been pretty much the same.  Only difference is a little less volume.  Still try to include some intensity to so I know how it feels to push the pace a bit. Tomorrow is a rest day and Saturday will likely be a short ride with a few pick-ups, 20 min easy run and maybe a swim.

I imagine I would struggle with a long taper.....just feel like I was slacking off.  Probably irritable, lethargic and tired.....Hmm..I must taper alot.

Randy

2012-04-26 8:25 PM

User image

Expert

Jason:  Exactly what I was thinking regarding the swim.  I plan to increase swim volume the week before as this is the easiest exercise for me to recover quickly, and is the least likely to cause any injury.  Also, a great way to maintain fitness IMO.

Randy:  I too know the feeling of lethargy, sometimes moodiness during a taper.  Fortunately, come race morning this magically disappears as my excitement takes over.

Moral of the story:  I've done the training, now trust it!

2012-04-26 9:15 PM
in reply to: #4172693

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slornow - 2012-04-25 2:55 PM

200 for time at the end.....first time under 3 minutes coming in at 2:56-57. 

Nice!

jimmyb - 2012-04-26 5:10 AM

Taper rapidly approaching  and am curious what others do during tapers to get through them?  I don't like tapering.  I know it's necessary, and that I don't lose fitness, but still I have a hard time with this mentally.  Appreciate any thoughts, strategies others have used that have worked? Jim

Wish I could help you there, Jim.  I rarely taper for races because I hate doing it do much.  But...I'm tapering (run and bike, not swim, yet) and yeah, it drives me crazy.  I just try to stay busy with other things, which, frankly, isn't that hard for me this time of year.  The taper that's gonna kill me is next Sept.

Blanda - 2012-04-26 6:06 AM

Training schedule: When husband is home, I do majority of it when he gets home from work, whatever it may be. I was able to focus a lot of my time on swim training for tris with his help.

Now that husband isn't home and I'm committed to a couple running relays, the 1.5 hours I have before I pick up the kids from school has been dedicated to running. Taking it a day at a time though really. I do my home workouts while the kids are off doing their own things around the house. 1 to 1 hr 15 min.

I haven't been able to do any races since the Xterra though. Babysitting issues and such. I do get to do my planned relay race this weekend. Luckily I set this up well in advance with the parents. I'm thinking of looking around for a good, used baby jogger to push my daughter in while the boy and I run the Saturday 5k's together, but I won't be competing, that's for sure.

Looking forward to the 48 mile relay race on Saturday. I have a 3.7 mile leg, then we just follow our team around and have pizza after. Good fun.

Enjoy the race!  I can't remember exactly how old your kids are -- I know they're young.  The past few summers my wife has been gone most of the summer, and I did my runs by running around my block.  The kids are old enough to be trusted indoors by themselves, and I told them that if they ever have a problem, they watch for me in the window and wave when I go by.  Once we established that "he isn't playing the game that I want to play" doesn't qualify as a 'problem', it all worked out very well.  I always made sure to spend time playing a game with them, or doing something else with them, after the run so they didn't get the idea that daddy's runs are all that matter.  I've done some 18 mile runs around my block, which tells you just how much I love running!

Jen2012 - 2012-04-26 11:51 AM

I survived my first group run. The weather couldn't have been better -- sunny and about 58 degrees - and I got to explore a lot of new trails and conservation land. The group is planning to run at lunch twice a week, so I think I've got some new training partners. They'll definitely keep me honest and nudge me up a few more hills than I'd seek out on my own. I'm so glad I followed through with it and didn't psych myself out thinking that I wasn't a strong enough runner to run with a group.

Fantastic!  Often groups can get us to do things that we weren't sure we could do alone.

mchlspil - 2012-04-26 12:43 PM

I got in for the Nike 1/2 Marathon in San Francisco in October.  Looking forward to crossing the finish line and being handed a tiffany necklace from a firefighter. This will be my 3rd 1/2 marathon.  

This week turned out to be bad for me on getting workouts in.  I'm putting together a slideshow to present for a year's worth of photos on activities an organization I belong to has done.  It's a lot more time consuming than I thought and a lot harder to choose photos for a 10 min video.  

Congrats on getting in to the 1/2M.  Looks like a good race.  Work sometimes gets in the way of training.  It happens.  Do you best to figure it out and move on.  

jimmyb - 2012-04-26 9:25 PM

Moral of the story:  I've done the training, now trust it!

That's an important moral to remember during the heat of training as well, because you want to be able to say that to yourself when the time comes!  And you HAVE done the training, so let yourself taper!

2012-04-26 10:43 PM

User image

Master
Michael: The kids are 11 and 6. That's a great idea, and my good friend does this, but our house has been broken into, and since then I'm nervous about it happening again with the kids in the house alone. I don't live in a very good neighborhood. Afraid the bad people will see me out running and think it's a good opportunity to try again.

Edited by Blanda 2012-04-26 10:45 PM
2012-04-27 8:54 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Morning all.  What happening this weekend?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 100