BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-05-15 6:49 PM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED

Wow Stuart, that's good news.  I sure hope your recovery is going well!  How soon will the doctor let you train?

I had a "brick" workout today, 45 mile bike/5.2 mile run.  Well I can't really call it a brick.  The bike was an unexpected surprise as all the stars alligned, our afternoon admissions were cancelled and I rushed home to bike as much as I could before my 5 pm conference call.  I felt great on the bike, did rollers and multiple all out sprints, kind of just mixed things up. After my hour long conference call, I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to run good pace from the beginning.  Usually after a bike my first mile is a struggle.  My quick recovery during that hour indicates to me that my fitness is improving.  What say ya'll?    

Jim

2013-05-15 6:50 PM
in reply to: #4744458

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
glfprncs - 2013-05-15 4:35 PM
Stuartap - 2013-05-15 7:22 PM

Well the hospital bill just arrived from my hip fracture.  Just thought I would share this with everyone for a laugh. 

The total billed was $92,535!  Now the network negotiated discount was just over $68,000 so the actual allowable bill was $24, 400.  The insurance paid almost $17,000 of it leaving me with a balance due of $7415.  However, I always carry an inexpensive accident plan with $7500 coverage.  (BTW - if you have a high deductible or large out of pocket exposure you should really consider an Accident plan...really cheap)  That plan has a $200 deductible. 

So bottom line, I will have to pay $200 for this wonderful hospital stay, surgery etc.  I think I can afford that.

Do tell more about the Accident plan!  With whom do you have it?  Part of your major medication insurance or a rider of sorts with a completely different company?

Nancy I have had a high deductible health plan since they came onto the market in 2005.  Being healthy the most common cause for having to pay the high deductible is statistically an accident.  Of course other things happen but the numbers are over 80% an accident.

So I carry an Accident Reimbursement plan that pays for any expense not paid for by my major medical health plan that is the result of an accident.  That means they paid for my Achilles tendonitis PT last year, my radial fracture of my arm (special cast, PT) and now this big one.  The health plan my wife & I are on has a $8200 deductible so I carry a $7500 accident plan.  As far as my health plan is concerned I paid my deductible even though I am getting it reimbursed by another policy.

We pay about $51/month for the two of us.  However, the policy only has two choices, a single person or a family.  So it would be the same rate for a family with 5 kids!

Yes it covers accidents in little league, pop warner, ayso etc for kids.  It covers old guys like me trying to do tris or skiing, or anything else that is not an illness.  It won't cover a car accident because that is covered under auto insurance.  Most of the plans have some exclusions for 'professional' sports so you would want to read the exclusions carefully.

Send me a PM if you want to know more.

2013-05-15 6:59 PM
in reply to: #4744476

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
jimmyb - 2013-05-15 4:49 PM

Wow Stuart, that's good news.  I sure hope your recovery is going well!  How soon will the doctor let you train? 

Jim

Jim I am still immobile until my next follow-up at the end of the month.  If the bone slippage has not gotten any worse from the first week (it was stable two weeks ago), then I will begin PT the first week of June. 

'Training' will be folded in because the two things I can do for PT are swimming and stationary bike.  My doctor will let me be as aggressive as I can push it without pain.

Then the next big test is to see if sufficient blood flow was restored to the head of the hip joint.  That will be another 3-4 months before we will know for sure.  If so, I will compete in the April sprint I missed last month.  If not, a second surgery to replace the hip.  In that case I start all over and will likely miss much of 2014 as well.

Preparing for the worst but hoping for the best.

2013-05-15 7:27 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Karla. Sounds really scary. I am glad that you have a handle on this and hopefully things will go well from here.

Suzy. I don't really have an answer for you. It is hard for me to visualize/understand what exactly is causing your pain. I am sure there are all kinds of things that attach to your scapula and clavicle that could be strained/stretched/bruised/broken or pulled. If it were me, I would probably give it some tincture of time. But if you have easy, quick access to your sports doctor it can't hurt to have it looked at again.

I had another great session on the trainer today before my overnight work shift. I felt really strong and was very happy with the session. Then I got off the bike. My quads keep feeling like they are gong to cramp. I am very tight and a little gimpy right now. Two killer bike days in a row is definitely having some affect on my muscles......
2013-05-15 8:15 PM
in reply to: #4743393

User image

Master
khharms - 2013-05-15 1:47 PM

Thank you everyone for the positive thoughts! She has some energy today, but still coughing a lot. We have another round of appointments today, yay us, lol!

Blanda - believe it or not, I'm from Guam too! Does my blonde hair and blue eyes give it away?! My sister and I were both born there, my parents taught for 15 years on the island. We lived in Barrigada Heights, and that's about all I remember

So cool!! Were you school aged before you left?

Edited by Blanda 2013-05-15 8:20 PM
2013-05-15 9:41 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart-great news about the $$. Too bad your training is going to be so limited due to the injury. I could sure "rationalize" using some of the $$$ savings for some new gear but its no fun if you can't play with it right away 

I had a pretty good swim at lunch and a decent bike this evening. Tomorrow's swim and bike both seem to be beyond my current abilities. Kind of daunting but I'll give it a shot. Not getting a taper from my coach for the weekend super sprint as my "A" race, Eagleman, is 3 weeks from Sunday.

Had a nice evening at daughter's soccer banquet. She was awarded the offensive player of the year award as well as the top award as most outstanding player.  We are very excited for her. Academic awards day on Friday and graduation on Sunday. Whew! Its and exciting time but I'll be glad when its all done.  

2013-05-15 9:56 PM
in reply to: #4744558

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
Blanda - 2013-05-15 8:15 PM
khharms - 2013-05-15 1:47 PM

So cool!! Were you school aged before you left?

I was 3 when we moved to Houston, my sister was 7 so she remembers a lot more. My God Father still lives there, but i'm not sure exactly where. Small world, for sure!

I was able to get my 30 minutes on the trainer in tonight, yay! Felt ok, but my sit bones really hate me! Now I know why all those spin classes were paying off in the past. Time to find a new class!

Tomorrow is a run day. The most dreaded day of my week Frown

2013-05-16 10:40 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Well ya win some and you lose some.

The seasons are changing here (yes, late for the area) and I always go through this in the spring - wake up with a headache, it goes away, comes back blah blah blah.  Woke up with it but decided to push through and go to the pool.  Bad move.  18 minutes and I decided to call it a day.  If I'm feeling better later I'm going to try a group ride with a new group.  Well see.  Swim again tomorrow.

Stuart hang in there buddy.  Sounds very frustrating but like you said.....hope for the best.

Have a good day all.

2013-05-16 10:46 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
My training day has gone in the crapper...was up at 4:15 a.m. so I could get a 30 minute swim at the pool, and when I went to leave at 4:45, my car wouldn't start.  Husband is out of town, so I had to scramble for a ride to work, and have to deal with the car after work rather than get today's workouts done.  SO FRUSTRATING.  I spent $1500 on car repairs just 6 months ago...Frown
2013-05-16 1:18 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Here's something to keep all of this in perspective. The youngest member of my tri team is in the hospital in a drug induced coma. Sam is 18 and an exceptional athlete. He is on the USAT SE Regional Junior team and typically finishes top 5-10 overall in local events. He was at swim practice yesterday when he started feeling ill. He got out of the pool at the Y, sat down and then collapsed. He was unresponsive and apparently his heart stopped. Fortunately there were 1-2 doctors at the Y at the time and they shocked him (not sure the right words there), began CPR and when the EMTs arrived transported him to the hospital. Initally thought it may be an aortic dissection which is apparently very rare in a person his age but that was ruled out. Now they are thinking it may be Long QT Inteval Syndrome which is genetic. Further testing will have to be done to determine that but apparently if thats what it is he will need a defibrillator.

Hard to get my mind around this happening to someone so young and "healthy." Thankful that this happened where there were people that could help him rather than on some rural road in the middle of nowhere.

Don't take things for granted. I know I do. I try to appreciate the opportunity to train and race but sometimes get caught up in the frustration of a bad workout or poor result. On my Road ID I have "Everyday" written under my emergency information as a reminder that I need to enjoy the workout, race or event and be happy that I can get out and do this "Everyday"

Sorry to get deep/serious on the group but I suspect we all take too much for granted and Sam's situation has certainly brought this to the forefront for me.

In more happy news I made it through most of the swim workout I thought would be impossible.

2013-05-16 3:01 PM

User image

Randy...no truer words have ever been said.

My thoughts are with that young man.  He truly was lucky to have had that event in the midst of individuals who truly could help him.

2013-05-16 3:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Randy when you have an opportunity to speak to Sam and his family please let them know that his tri community family is send their thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.  We all tend to look at what bad things may be going on in our lives without perspective.

I like your Everyday.  It was Ernest Hemingway who said: "Every man’s life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another"

2013-05-16 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Oh, Randy. What a scary, terrible thing to happen. The poor boy and his family! Stuff like that definitely makes me pull up and take stock. It also makes me wonder about what my own kids have got going on in their bodies! I'm glad he was surrounded by care when it happened. 

Got some spin drills done on the stationary at the gym because my darling husband broke my bike even more trying to fix it. UGH! I know, he was just trying to help. If I get the right sized tire for my roadie, I'll at least have the for bike sessions.

2013-05-16 8:31 PM

User image

New user
Wow Randy that is a really frightening health scare for that young man, his family and everyone there. I wish him the best, very glad he is getting medical care for it.I did my first brick today. I did an hour on the bike then jogged a mile. It felt really good and I am so excited about my sprint coming up June 2nd!
2013-05-16 8:41 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I was thinking about complaining about how sluggish and generally bad I felt in my training today.

Now I think I will just say that I feel lucky to be able to do what I do.

Randy, like Stuart said.... Let his family know that he is in our thoughts and that there are a lot of people out here rooting for him.
2013-05-16 9:11 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

No update on Sam. Thanks for all the kind words. Will certainly pass them along.

Had an intimidating bike workout scheduled tonight. Actually, it went pretty well.....except I ended up with a flat front tire about 5 minutes into my first hard interval. This was weird as I was on the rollers and have no idea what caused it. Swapped out the tire and tube and got back at it. It was tough but made it through.

Who is racing this weekend? I have a super sprint on Saturday in Pensacola.  

2013-05-16 9:55 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
I appreciate every reminder to be thankful for my health. I lost a close friend who I trained in residency with and I have tried to live my life to the fullest ever since (it's when I started climbing). I will definitely be praying for Sam and his family. Got in a good 43 mile bike ride and an 1800 meter swim today. I have a medium run tomorrow, an OWS swim with a local Tri club Saturday and a sprint Tri Sunday.
2013-05-17 6:14 AM

User image

Master
Long hill repeat. Had to do it on the road bike, and after so much time on a mountain bike, it just felt so awkward and my back was killing me! Tomorrow I have 1500m of swimming and I'm supposed to do Xterra bike course, but my mountain bike's in the shop. Boo hoo! I'll just do 30 miles somewhere on the road bike.

Thinking of Sam and hoping he recovers swiftly.

Oh, no race for me! Family Hash on Sunday.  
2013-05-17 8:42 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Prayers and hugs for Sam and his family

Had my second swim lesson today.  We didn't really time my laps this time as much as we worked on my stroke.  I have more homework and practicing for next week.

However, in the meantime.....I have my duathlon debut on Sunday.  Wish me luck......I'm gonna need it

2013-05-17 9:12 AM

User image

Expert

Keeping Sam in my thoughts.  In my line of work, I get reminders everyday how precious life really is and that I need to be grateful for what I have.

I have had an excellent month of biking thus far.  This week has been particularly slow at the hospital and I've been managing to sneak out in the afternoons for bike rides.  Yesterday I rode over 40 miles and kept my average over 20 mph.  I went riding with a friend with whom we are very similar in ability and it was a race the entire time.  As I usually ride alone, it was nice to have someone to push me along. 

I'm getting excited as my Hoka's are arriving tonight.  I wil let you all know my verdict on them after a few runs. 

No races this weekend, but am going to watch my son Drew play Rugby in the State finals.  He has 2 games tomorrow (if they win the first one).  If they win this weekend, they get a chance to become repeat state champs!!!  My son is the Team Captain and I love watching him direct the team.

So, in curiosity, when biking and if someone passes you, do you get bothered?  I know I should just focus on myself, but the competitive part of me tries to keep up and re-pass that person.  It doesn't bother me so much in running or swimming.  But when out on the road, I feel like "it's on".  Don't know if the person I'm trying to pass really cares about what I'm doing.

Jim

2013-05-17 1:06 PM
in reply to: jimmyb

Hudson Valley Region
Hey! Someone spruced this place up a bit during lunch.

Originally posted by jimmyb
So, in curiosity, when biking and if someone passes you, do you get bothered?  I know I should just focus on myself, but the competitive part of me tries to keep up and re-pass that person.  It doesn't bother me so much in running or swimming.  But when out on the road, I feel like "it's on".  Don't know if the person I'm trying to pass really cares about what I'm doing.

Jim

I think you're what's unofficially known as a CAT6 racer :-) No USA Cycling license required :-)

I don't usually get passed. I get dropped :-)

2013-05-17 1:11 PM
in reply to: thirdstation

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by thirdstation

Hey! Someone spruced this place up a bit during lunch.

I don't usually get passed. I get dropped :-)

Looks nice!

and LMAO - Yeah, I get dropped like a sack of potatoes!
2013-05-17 2:38 PM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Originally posted by jimmyb

Keeping Sam in my thoughts.  In my line of work, I get reminders everyday how precious life really is and that I need to be grateful for what I have.

I have had an excellent month of biking thus far.  This week has been particularly slow at the hospital and I've been managing to sneak out in the afternoons for bike rides.  Yesterday I rode over 40 miles and kept my average over 20 mph.  I went riding with a friend with whom we are very similar in ability and it was a race the entire time.  As I usually ride alone, it was nice to have someone to push me along. 

I'm getting excited as my Hoka's are arriving tonight.  I wil let you all know my verdict on them after a few runs. 

No races this weekend, but am going to watch my son Drew play Rugby in the State finals.  He has 2 games tomorrow (if they win the first one).  If they win this weekend, they get a chance to become repeat state champs!!!  My son is the Team Captain and I love watching him direct the team.

Jim

In a race the first thing I do is look at their calf. If they aren't in my AG, I am not bothered. If they are, I mentally make a note to take them down on the run . In training, it doesn't bother me at all. We all have different sessions and for all I know they could be doing a threshold ride while I'm hanging out in Z2.
2013-05-17 3:27 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

Hudson Valley Region
Today was my first attempt at using the Maffetone method. I figured it would closely map to my Z2 runs anyway -- except it didn't. I had to walk most of my planned 2.4 mile run to keep my HR in the 128-138 range. I'd run about 50ft. and my HR would be back up to 150. By "running," I mean one step above a walk.

So, it turns out my Z2 is really a Z3 and my Z2 is walking.

This is causing my to reevaluate my whole season. I have a sprint in two weeks and last night I signed up for my first oly in September. I'm thinking I should be focusing on next summer instead.

2013-05-17 5:21 PM
in reply to: thirdstation

User image

Had a total epiphany in.the pool today! Went from a regular flutter kick of about 6 kicks per arm cycle (left/right stroke) to a 2 beat kick (left kick when right arm.stabs water, opposite leg with other arm). Was able to swim 3 times farther without.becoming breathless. How did I miss this before?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88