2013-06-09 5:18 PM
in reply to: mbehr1983

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN
Originally posted by mbehr1983
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Originally posted by mbehr1983 Let the fun begin! Started my 70.3 program this week. The workouts start next week with 2300 m or yds not sure wich one. I have not swam that far yet eeek. I have attached for your viewing pleasure

Is this a swim focused HIM plan???? lots of specific direction for swimming, but less for the bike and run.

I don't think so. they said they just do this in the beginning to get us in the water. I added all the sets up and its about 500 short or do I need help reading it wrong?

Dig a little deeper into the instructions with this plan, I am betting that they have a standard warm-up and cool-down sets that are not reprinted with each work-out that equal the missing 500.  I have had training plans that have done that ......   when I used to actually swim Laughing 

2013-06-09 5:22 PM
in reply to: badgerintx

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Originally posted by badgerintx

Originally posted by mbehr1983 Let the fun begin! Started my 70.3 program this week. The workouts start next week with 2300 m or yds not sure wich one. I have not swam that far yet eeek. I have attached for your viewing pleasure

Is this a swim focused HIM plan???? lots of specific direction for swimming, but less for the bike and run.

I don't think so. they said they just do this in the beginning to get us in the water. I added all the sets up and its about 500 short or do I need help reading it wrong?

Dig a little deeper into the instructions with this plan, I am betting that they have a standard warm-up and cool-down sets that are not reprinted with each work-out that equal the missing 500.  I have had training plans that have done that ......   when I used to actually swim Laughing 

I do remember a time when you actually swam and quite fast to boot! My RACINE buddy!

I had a decent week.   My big day ride/run went well and my first longer OWS did too.  I am still struggling to get my backside on the Parlee without the death grip.  I literally took that bike to an office park on Saturday and rode it around on flat roads at a crazy slow speed in aero promising it would all be fine.  It was.  Baby steps.

2013-06-09 5:32 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

I do remember a time when you actually swam and quite fast to boot! My RACINE buddy!

I had a decent week.   My big day ride/run went well and my first longer OWS did too.  I am still struggling to get my backside on the Parlee without the death grip.  I literally took that bike to an office park on Saturday and rode it around on flat roads at a crazy slow speed in aero promising it would all be fine.  It was.  Baby steps.

I see many wonderful moments between you and the Parlee in your future.  Way to get back on the horse/bike, Suzy. 

2013-06-10 7:59 AM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

For all you Strava users out there...this is funny!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH6YqAMKxD4&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs

Enjoy your KOM while you have them!

2013-06-10 9:08 AM
in reply to: gdale

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Originally posted by gdale

That is funny... Nice.

Suzy I am glad to see you are back on the Parlee, but taking your time.  

2013-06-10 12:14 PM
in reply to: swbkrun

User image

Champion
Originally posted by swbkrun

That is funny... Nice.

While not as carefree as I'd like to be, I did do 90' on the Parlee today and that makes me downright giddy.  

2013-06-10 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

That is funny... Nice.

While not as carefree as I'd like to be, I did do 90' on the Parlee today and that makes me downright giddy.  

Awesome Suzy.  You got the deep wheels on it or did you swap them out?

2013-06-10 7:00 PM
in reply to: gdale

User image

Champion

That is funny... Nice.

Awesome Suzy.  You got the deep wheels on it or did you swap them out?

Swapped the front one out for a cheapo Cane Creek with normal rims.    Once I am more comfortable and it isn't windy, I'll put the Lightweight back on the front and roll!

2013-06-11 5:19 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Well done. For getting back out there, I came off my bike on a wet roundabout in Spain at Christmas. I just couldn't relax for the rest of the day, especially on the mountain descents! The more you get out on the bike he quicker you'll feel comfortable again.

2013-06-11 5:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Noosa

Finally got started with my training tonight, I signed up for Trainer Road again and did my FTP test; wow testing is Hard!!!

Anyway, my FTP has dropped from 257 to 237 and my LTHR has gone up from 149 to 156. Not too bad considering my month layoff.

The last time I tested was in March, 2 months before my IM so I'm hoping the higher LTHR means my fitness is still there and bodes well for being able to make some big power gains this Winter??

Edited by copa2251 2013-06-11 5:36 AM
2013-06-11 10:15 AM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

Dave,

Where did you have this done? I was trying to find a place locall but had no luck. I probably was not looking for the right thing.

Congrats it shows hard work pays off

2013-06-11 12:08 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Dave,

Where did you have this done? I was trying to find a place locall but had no luck. I probably was not looking for the right thing.

Different Dave, but with an answer.  Testing can be done all by yourself.  Great article with all the details here.  

2013-06-11 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Dave,

I use Trainer Road - google it, I think it's www.trainerroad.com

Basically you need a speed/cadence sensor on your rear wheel and then you plug your ANT+ stick (comes with your Garmin) into a laptop. The Trainer Road program converts your data into virtual power and shows that along with heart rate and cadence on the screen. All you have to do is follow the interval programs supplied or do your own; you can drop the display down to the bottom of the screen and watch movies or download a Sufferfest workout video and use that - they've produced matching interval programs for all the Sufferfests. It costs $10 per month and you van cancel at any time.

When I used it before I got quite hooked! The first ride I did outside after a few weeks of this felt much easier than before and I wish I'd kept it up leading into my IM but by then the focus was on endurance.

2013-06-11 3:53 PM
in reply to: badgerintx

User image

Expert
Noosa

Dave,

Different Dave, but with an answer.  Testing can be done all by yourself.  Great article with all the details here.  

Just looked at your avatar cross photo again, looks great! I tried to see if there were any cyclo cross races round here but there's nothing. It seems to have taken off in Victoria where it's much colder and more populated.

2013-06-12 7:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

Heyall

Just a couple things. Yesterday our 70.3 training group had our bike run eval. It was 10 mi and a 2 mi run to get a base. I did ok on the bike. it was about 30 mins for 10 miles and I think my average speed was about 18-20. i will know when i put on here. Today we a 2 of 1000 yds and the first was 23:48 and the second 1K was 23:51. The total was 47:37. I felt good about the time and this was the first time I did this distance with only a 2 minute break. The run was not good I think it was about 11min mile for both I walked some. I need to improve there bad

Happy training.

Mike

Edited by mbehr1983 2013-06-12 7:51 AM
2013-06-12 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Wow, It's Wednesday again.....already!  Are you racing this weekend?  What are your race goals and your plan to accomplish those goals? 

Question:  You've all been training hard and getting prepared physically for the racing season.  How do you mentally prepare for your races?  What strategies do you use before and during your race?

2013-06-12 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
Originally posted by jfought

Wow, It's Wednesday again.....already!  Are you racing this weekend?  What are your race goals and your plan to accomplish those goals? 

Question:  You've all been training hard and getting prepared physically for the racing season.  How do you mentally prepare for your races?  What strategies do you use before and during your race?

I was going to do a race but imy mother-inlaw had surgery and we are going down there for the weekend. I dont have any suggestions on how to prepare mentally. I always think ill do this and that but never stick with it. So suggestions on that would help                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

2013-06-12 6:15 PM

User image

Champion

I'm not racing per se, but I am doing the Horribly Hilly Hundreds on Saturday.  Monster of a bike event with a buttload of climbing.  Even some of the fittest people walk up the hills, cry and swear.  Should be great.  My goal is to finish without tipping over!

I'm big into mental preparation.  I do visualization before every major workout and race.  Helps immensely.

2013-06-12 7:14 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

No racing here.  I spend a lot of time the night before and the morning of the race walking through the race in my head and at the same time checking off what I need for each leg.  I also try to focus on being relaxed especially for the swim start.

2013-06-14 4:14 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa

No racing for me, I'm in my Winter off season so I'm back on the trainer and enjoying my Trainer Road workouts again. You can create your own workouts now so I can use the EN plan.

I mentally prepare for races by firstly relaxing and calming my mind and secondly visualising a strong, controlled race. All I have to do then is maintain the same control on the day.

2013-06-14 6:08 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by copa2251

No racing for me, I'm in my Winter off season so I'm back on the trainer and enjoying my Trainer Road workouts again. You can create your own workouts now so I can use the EN plan.

I mentally prepare for races by firstly relaxing and calming my mind and secondly visualising a strong, controlled race. All I have to do then is maintain the same control on the day.

What's winter like there?  I have visions of sunny and 80F, but I am guessing I'm wrong!

2013-06-14 6:38 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by copa2251

What's winter like there?  I have visions of sunny and 80F, but I am guessing I'm wrong!

No, you're right, trouble is you get used to the heat so 80f feels cold!

I had a swim in the ocean today and it was great but going out for an early morning bike ride can be cold - around 4 to 8 Celcius - so the trainer is nice for a change but definitely not necessary.
2013-06-14 7:21 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
double post....

Edited by dcon 2013-06-14 7:22 AM
2013-06-14 7:22 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Anybody do the run leg of HIM or IM without socks?  If so, what shoes are you using and what shoes have you tried that did not work out?
2013-06-14 1:10 PM

User image

New user
I am late on reply but am going down to the Vancouver USA expo today to try to sign up for a 5k tomorrow (with stepdaughter) and the 1/2 on Sunday. These will just be training runs for me. I generally just try to consider each race as training and not freak out, but I think we know that never works...So, I just tell myself the panic/stress will only be temporary, once I start it will go away. I learn things all the time about preparation such as...never eat Thai food the night before a race, dont wear a brand new pair of shoes, and the cutest outfit is not always the most confortable..
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44