BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 34

2007-04-10 11:44 AM
in reply to: #641608

User image

Subject: RE: COgirl's Group - FULL
Is it possible that I just sweated out jelly beans I still have not made it outside-- another snow storm in the forcast. Biked 9 miles and ran 1 mile. Oh, the pain.

Childcare is such an issue! My boys are in daycare 3 days a week (Lawson 3 and Kolby 11 months). I really think my older son loves it-- and has for the past two years. I can understand your wanting to put your youngest in daycare-- give it a try! You can alway pull him out. Just remember....even the greatest of mothers work (and need a break).

Melissa

2007-04-10 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Melissa - thanks for the encouragment! I just don't want my third child to feel like he got short changed on spending quality time with mom. I am just feeling like I want to work more and I also feel like the routine will be good for him. The daycare I am looking into is at the YMCA and that way I can get in a workout either after I drop him off or before I pick him up. Since I signed up for a HIM next October, I am definitely going to need to be getting some more workouts in!
2007-04-10 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
SC

Becki, Welcome to the group!

Kendra, Good luck on the brick on Sun. That will be a lot of fun! The tri group I'm in is going to be doing a bike then run next Tues. We did a swim/bike last Mon. It was a lot of fun. I started drying myself off with my towel after the swim, and I stopped, realizing I wouldn't be doing that during the race. I did a bike/run this past Sun and wore my bike shorts while running to see what it would feel like. I am a pretty slow jogger so I don't think it made too much difference in my pace.

Heather, You may want to read the thread on the NC board about OWS at Lake Norman. The Lake Norman Y has posted the OWS schedule. I think they are starting April 21? I would like to do these swims but I don't have a wetsuit so I'd like to do the ones in May where it will hopefully be warmer.

Melissa, Good for you doing a brick! Did you say you live in MA? I can't remember. My parent's lived on Cape Cod. I have family that live in NH.

Cathy, Where do you usually wear your race number? Do you wear a race number during the swim? Do you usually put socks on in T1?

I'm biking a 20 mile ride on Sat. (if it does not rain) to support children's literacy program at our local Y, Ride to Read. It should be fun!

Mel

2007-04-10 10:12 PM
in reply to: #752257

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

teachertrek - 2007-04-07 6:59 AM  Maybe if I really like it, I will invest in one next year. I'm almost embarrassed to say that the bike I am buying is from Target. It's a road bike (I think) with the thinner tires and gears that are controled by your thumb on the handle bars. It's only $200. Am I crazy?? Has anyone ever used an ordinary bike for a sprint tri?

not necessarily crazy!  Many people use mountain bikes also.  I would suggest checking craigslist also for a used bike as you might find a great bike for a little money.  My hubby has a used road bike that he got for $250....it's a Trek with Shimano 105 components (which are decent!)

When do most of you start brick training?

Anytime you are ready.  I wouldn't do it every weekend, but you could start practicing now.  It helps you get a feel for it and be prepared for your race! 

2007-04-10 10:16 PM
in reply to: #752295

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

countregirl - 2007-04-07 8:28 AM  Oh and does anyone have any reccomendations on special goggles for open water swims? thx. heather

Hi Heather!  I have used 2 different types....one is the mask (Aquasphere seal mask).  It is nice because you can see out the sides better.  I also like the Aquasphere Kaimen goggles for the same reason.  They are goggles, but are bigger and you can see well.  Sighting is pretty important in OWS! 

2007-04-10 10:18 PM
in reply to: #754903

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

kns57 - 2007-04-10 6:07 AM I was wondering about what to wear. I know you said that the tri shorts are different from regular biking shorts. I am wondering if a one piece tri suit is easier than shorts and top, or is it preference, etc. Any advice?

Hi Kendra!  Good luck in your brick Sunday!

I think the answer to your question is totally based on preference.  I prefer 2 pieces for the simple reason of not having to totally undress to use the restroom!  But both are the same on the bottom as far as the chamois pad. 

2007-04-10 10:23 PM
in reply to: #755236

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

texmom - 2007-04-10 9:22 AM Anyone else have young kids in full time childcare? Right now my life is a constant juggle between carpooling everyone to different schools, after school activities and trying to keep up with everyone's schedule. Since my middle child will be in kindergarden in the fall, I would like to put my son in full time so that my life will be slightly more sane. He will be 22 months by that point.

Melissa has great advice!  (awesome thought too....a good reminder that we aren't "bad" people for putting kids in daycare!).  I think daycare is awesome (depending on the facility of course!).  I worked FT until Ryan was born in July, and now I am PT, but still going to school FT.  My daughter Tara was in daycare full time until Ryan was born and she did quite well with it, even enjoyed it!  It's nice to have structure and other kids the same age!  You are a busy mom Jill, and a pretty good mom in my opinion   I think your son will be ok with daycare!

2007-04-10 10:28 PM
in reply to: #756296

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

lialog - 2007-04-10 6:49 PM Cathy, Where do you usually wear your race number? Do you wear a race number during the swim? Do you usually put socks on in T1?

Race belts: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/shop/shop/category.asp?catid=9868

They are the best invention ever.  I have found that pins tend to damage my "tech" clothes.  So your number attaches to the race belt.  I don't put it on until the run (T2).  Your number is on your body - arms and legs - so they can see your number when you are biking.  It isn't necessary to have it on the swim - especially with wetsuits, you can't tell one person from another anyway. 

I do not put on socks in T1.  My reason is because my feet are wet and I don't want to put socks on wet feet and then have my socks get wet and then have to run in them.....blisters!  I do put on socks in T2, by then my feet are definitely dry. 

Good luck on the bike this weekend!

2007-04-11 11:02 AM
in reply to: #755236

User image

Veteran
texmom - 2007-04-10 11:22 AM

Anyone else have young kids in full time childcare? Right now my life is a constant juggle between carpooling everyone to different schools, after school activities and trying to keep up with everyone's schedule. Since my middle child will be in kindergarden in the fall, I would like to put my son in full time so that my life will be slightly more sane. He will be 22 months by that point.

Texmom- this is what I do for a living---I am an Ed Consultant in NC and I regulate child care facilities in my area. If you have specific questions please PM me. Also I am not sure about Texas but here you can really "check out" facilities by ordering their entire file from the State--that way you know the good and the bad about the facility. I have to work, but I chose this career path to be where my children were going to school----I have been in this field for 15 years now. The main thing to remember is to look for consistent long-time staff and a strong director. Is the staff educated? What is the program philosophy? What are the learning goals for the children? A good quality experience can lay the foundation for educational success in young children, no worries. Also---staying at home for a year with each child was the hardest job I have ever had!!!!!
2007-04-11 1:33 PM
in reply to: #756428

User image

COgirl - 2007-04-10 10:12 PM

teachertrek - 2007-04-07 6:59 AM  Maybe if I really like it, I will invest in one next year. I'm almost embarrassed to say that the bike I am buying is from Target. It's a road bike (I think) with the thinner tires and gears that are controled by your thumb on the handle bars. It's only $200. Am I crazy?? Has anyone ever used an ordinary bike for a sprint tri?

not necessarily crazy!  Many people use mountain bikes also.  I would suggest checking craigslist also for a used bike as you might find a great bike for a little money.  My hubby has a used road bike that he got for $250....it's a Trek with Shimano 105 components (which are decent!)

When do most of you start brick training?

Anytime you are ready.  I wouldn't do it every weekend, but you could start practicing now.  It helps you get a feel for it and be prepared for your race! 

Glad to hear someone else is wimping out on the $$ factor. I've been looking for a bike-- but can't seem to find one without dropping $600+... not in my budget. I've looked at some "transition" bikes-- thin tires with straight across handle bars. I figure if I can stay on it and finish the 12 miles-- It's a good starter bike.
2007-04-11 8:12 PM
in reply to: #757424

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Transition bike, as you called it, is what I purchased. It was $199 at Target. It has the thinner tires compared to a mountain bike with the handle bars that go straight across. I've only been on it once since buying it last weekend. I just got a feel for it, but now with Minnesota having snow on the ground, it might be a few more days. Any suggestions on biking...what's the most effecient way to ride
-on flat surfaces??? pedal faster at a lower gear/slower at a higher gear??
-hills?
-downhill

I guess I just need to get out there.

As far as daycare with kids, know that what ever decision you make, be the best mom you can be. Don't feel guilty and don't second guess your decision. Even with daycare and school, you are still their greatest teacher.

2007-04-11 9:18 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Texmom Jill, you need to do what feels right to you. There is a lot of good care out there. My daughter stayed home for the first three years for her first child and two for the second (they are 13 months apart). Then she started teaching this fall and put them into fulltime care. The boys are loving it and I can see the difference in them and it has been positive. Not to say there hasn't been any bumps along the way, but overall it has been a really good experience for them. And she is feeling better about herself, and that is making her to be a better mom for the boys.

I worked for fulltime for part of my children's growing up years, and was home for part of the time. I actually found that it was more important to be around more when they were in highschool than any other time, for at that age, you can't put them in "care". So, when they hit highschool, I cut back on working again, and was there to be the team mom, chauffer, etc. I found that I actually enjoyed a lot of their teenage years rather than having it be a difficult time.

So that is my grandmotherly advice.

Kendra
2007-04-12 9:23 AM
in reply to: #758099

User image

New user
Thank you Kendra - I know the advice was geared towards Texmom Jill. But- Thank You.

From - full time working mom with first son in daycare full time.
2007-04-12 11:53 AM

User image

2007-04-12 12:11 PM

User image

Broomfield, CO
Can I join this group even though the thread says FULL?

May name is Kateri and I am doing my very first sprint tri in June. I am 30 years old and work full time. I am married and have one daughter who is 3 years old.

I have been working out for a while now and needed a new challenge. My friend did Tri for the Cure last year and convinced me to try it, so here I am! I have lost a bunch of weight since beginning training in January for the triathlon and am very excited for this new challenge.
2007-04-12 9:49 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Well I officially signed my son up for full time daycare today and he will start August 1. My 8 yr old daughter was in full time care for a year when she was 2 and it was so hard on me! However, she was my only child at the time. Now I have 3! I think part of the reason I was having some difficulties is because my third child (my only boy) was adopted, in case you can't tell from my avatar, and I don't want him to feel short changed. He is super sweet and such a great kid. He is VERY social, but still a big time momma's boy. He cries more when I drop him off at Mother's Day Out than either of my other 2 ever really did. Anyhow, I feel good about the decision.

Heather - thanks for your input as well! I have personally met the director of the daycare. The daycare is at the YMCA and it is the same place I work out. I was having some issues with the staff in the child watch area and the director of the daycare also oversees the child watch. She was VERY responsive to my concerns and the child watch program has made a 180 degree turnaround. I have toured the facility and seen their programs and mission. The one thing I also really like about the program is that he won't be the only black child. There is lots of racial diversity, unlike the all white preschool he is at now. I think this will be a good decision for our family, but it was hard getting to this point.

Thanks for everyone's feedback! This will also make my workouts easier as he will be in daycare at the same place I workout. I can get in a workout either when I pick him up or drop him off.  

2007-04-13 11:15 AM

User image

Broomfield, CO
Oops. I just read the Mentor Information thread. I'll find a group that isn't full. Good luck everyone!
2007-04-14 6:12 AM

User image

MotoQueen
Jill,

For a short time I did childcare out of the home. One little boy would cry hysterically everytime he was dropped off. As soon as Dad turn the car on in the driveway to back out, Chris (the 18 month old little boy) would stop crying and start playing and have a great time. It was really pretty funny to watch after a while. So, know this. Even very young children learn to play with our emotions. I'm sure that you have made the right choice for all involved.

Kendra
2007-04-14 6:47 AM
in reply to: #760990

User image

kns57 - 2007-04-14 6:12 AM

Jill,

For a short time I did childcare out of the home. One little boy would cry hysterically everytime he was dropped off. As soon as Dad turn the car on in the driveway to back out, Chris (the 18 month old little boy) would stop crying and start playing and have a great time. It was really pretty funny to watch after a while. So, know this. Even very young children learn to play with our emotions. I'm sure that you have made the right choice for all involved.

Kendra

Kendra~ I think you've made us all feel better!

Thank you- Melissa
2007-04-14 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
SC

Ditto to what Melissa just said. Kendra, I hope to be able to have a flexible schedule when they get older esp in HS like you were able to do. My parents were not around when I was in HS and I did a lot of things I should not have been doing. If they had been around I probably would not have done those things.

I have my twins in a MMO (Mother's Morning out) 2x a week and they love it. ( I do too!) I think it has really helped them to socialize with other kids. Julie, It sounds like at your sons age that's a really good time to have him there with other kids. Good luck, I know it was a really tough decision for you.

I just got back from my 20 mile bike, Ride to Read. It ended up being a 25 mile ride instead. I was biking with a few other people and we took the wrong turn. They had signs for the 40 and 60 mile rides also and we followed the 40 mile ride, oops! We stopped and figured it out pretty quickly. That was a lot of fun!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Mel

2007-04-15 10:07 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Hi all!  I have been in Portland for a conference, sorry for not writing!  I went by myself, no kids....I was really looking forward to it, but still felt guilty.  Ah, the life of a mom. 

Becki: for biking, in general, you want to maintain a cadence of 90 (count the number of times your left knee comes up in one minute), though it slows on uphills.  On downhills, push hard, on uphills, do what you can without dying!  LOL!  If your bike is heavy, you may need to adjust your cadence....80 or so might be good.

Melissa: bike looks fine as a starter....did you get it yet?  anything on craigslist or at local bike shops/tri clubs?  AND I love your avatar....it's good to see you!

Kateri: If you would like to be part of the group, that is fine, just let me know!

You all are doing great, keep it up!

Oh and has anyone followed Ironman Arizona today?  it's pretty cool to watch people's progress!

2007-04-15 10:11 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
I have tried watching the live feed from the Ironman coverage and read the whole thread about finishers. It is very exciting! It makes me want to attend one someday as a spectator. I haven't gotten the bug to do a full IM, but maybe someday. Cathy, is that in your plans in the near future?
2007-04-15 10:16 PM
in reply to: #762398

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

texmom - 2007-04-15 9:11 PM I have tried watching the live feed from the Ironman coverage and read the whole thread about finishers. It is very exciting! It makes me want to attend one someday as a spectator. I haven't gotten the bug to do a full IM, but maybe someday. Cathy, is that in your plans in the near future?

um, er, .....uh...... IMCdA 2008.   

Got to watch my coach finish on the live feed....so cool! 

2007-04-16 7:25 AM

User image

Hi Cathy! Hope you had a nice trip-- and slept through the night!

No bike yet, I started to have a panic attack about what type of bike to get-- I tried craigslist and local bike shops and am still getting prices in the mid 4's--- I thought I'd get an EL'Cheapo bike this year-- that way if I decide this is something I want to do every year I'll get a "real" bike next year. I still need to learn to ride the thing-- how do the gears work? Oh, boy I'm in for it. I'm actually thinking about getting a hybrid- transition bike (whatever they are called) thin tires- straight across bars. I have to say I'm a bit scared of the racing bike. I am I over thinking this? I kinda want my pink Huffy with the banana seat.

My Tri is on July 22 (your son's first birthday?) and I'm feeling a bit behind in my training. I'm going to look up some training plans on BT.

Huge storm in the East this this week- Rain and high winds. Just love April in MA.

Melissa
2007-04-16 3:36 PM
in reply to: #762403

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

um, er, .....uh...... IMCdA 2008.   

YIPEE! That is awesome, so what month is IMCda in? Will that be your first full IM?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 34