BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-07-16 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2288959

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
BigReub - 2009-07-16 9:27 AM First thing this morning I have to says THANKS.  Thanks to all of you for the power you provide.  Last night at the 2 mile mark of a 6 miler I was hurting.  Trying to decide to walk or call my wife.  But I kept thinking Andy, Tony, Trevor, etc busted their tails, they hurt themselves today - I will too.  I finished, but well short of my target time.  Anyhow, I'm pretty confident that without this group I would have been walking.  Thanks.

Now to a question...The goal pace for this 6 miles was 10:23/mile.  I couldn't do that so I finished it at about 10:40 with miles 3, 4, and 5 at 11:00/mile.  So my question is this...when doing long runs is it better to stay near the goal pace?  Or simply get the miles in regardless of pace?

And it took until this morning to figure out the problem.  For some reason my wife made dinner at 4:30, a 2 hour softball practice at 6:30, and absolutely nothing to eat in the 5 hours before running.

Reuben,

I am by no means a running expert, but I keep about the same speeds as you so here is my 2 cents.  First of all, there is no shame in taking walk breaks!  Often times they will improve your overall performance and pace.  There are numerous respected running coaches that recommend  a run/walk training program for runners.  Personally I have found that taking a few walking breaks  accomplishes several things for me, 1) it allows my heart rate to drop, 2) I can catch my breath, 3) good absorption of liquids during that break, 4) it allows me to hold a steadier pace.  Think about it, what is the benefit of the first few miles being at pace or faster if you have to do 15min/miles the rest of the way b/c you had to walk the whole thing?  If you do a run/walk combo you may add 10sec onto you lap pace but you'll be able to hold that pace the entire distance.

But to answer your question directly, I go for completing the distance, not the pace, providing that was a distance goal workout.  Obviously doing sprint work you want to focus on speed, not distance.  But to increase your distance endurance go for completing the distance regardless of pace. 

Edited by tahrens 2009-07-16 9:48 AM

2009-07-16 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2288895

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
sdalessio - 2009-07-16 9:05 AM

On a totally different subject - it is another boring day on the Tour de France.  I've been live listening at work and they are still -footing around on the flats.  I'm waiting for the Alps and some kick a$s action.  Forget the team stuff, I want to see Lance, Alberto, Levi and that other Astanti dude throw down the gloves and race each other up the mountains.  I'll bet they can leave the rest of the field in the dust.

I may have to tune into the Open instead and see if Tiger's hitting the ball well.

The one good thing about the flat stages is you get to admire Mark Cavendish, Thor Hushoff (sp?) and Boonen flexing those amazing quads at the end!   I think one of Thor's quads is the size of both of mine put together!   Yummy!!!!
2009-07-16 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
BigReub - 2009-07-16 8:27 AM First thing this morning I have to says THANKS.  Thanks to all of you for the power you provide.  Last night at the 2 mile mark of a 6 miler I was hurting.  Trying to decide to walk or call my wife.  But I kept thinking Andy, Tony, Trevor, etc busted their tails, they hurt themselves today - I will too.  I finished, but well short of my target time.  Anyhow, I'm pretty confident that without this group I would have been walking.  Thanks.

Now to a question...The goal pace for this 6 miles was 10:23/mile.  I couldn't do that so I finished it at about 10:40 with miles 3, 4, and 5 at 11:00/mile.  So my question is this...when doing long runs is it better to stay near the goal pace?  Or simply get the miles in regardless of pace?

And it took until this morning to figure out the problem.  For some reason my wife made dinner at 4:30, a 2 hour softball practice at 6:30, and absolutely nothing to eat in the 5 hours before running.

First great job on working through it although it sounds like lack of fuel was a problem.

In my opinion, as far as pacing  - it is far more important to get in the miles and maintain your pace in the proper zone/HR then stick to the time.  Generally keep it in zone 2 so you teach your body to burn fat instead of carbs during endurance distances and to give your muscles a chance to recover from harder, more intense workouts.  I've had 2 VO2 max tests and seen the beauty of the numbers.  I may burn a few less calories at a slower pace but I burn twice as much fat.

For instance, in my Zone 2 I burn 10 kcal per min (6.7 fat and 3.3 carb).  In my zone 4 range I burn 13.7 kcal per min (3.5 fat and 10.5 carb). 

From my test literature
Zone 2 - Training at this intensity maximally overloads the slow-twitch muscle fibers, increasing endurance.  At lower intensities, fat is the primary fuel for exercise.  Performing basic aerobic workouts at too high intensity reduces the effectiveness of harder workouts on subsequent days by fatiguing and/or depleting carb stores of the fast twitch fibers.

Hope that helps.
2009-07-16 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2288709

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Havin'Fun - 2009-07-16 5:42 AM

Who's racing this weekend?
Kim, Steve.......anyone????

If not racing, who has really cool plans?  

I have an OLy this weekend. 2nd one, going to travel in the car with the girls for 3 1/2 hrs tomorrow for it. Really looking forward to that drive. Supposed to be hot. Like low 90's. For me that will be hot. So get hydrated now!!! Then back in town for a few days, and then we are hitting the inlaws cabin for all of next week.
2009-07-16 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2288895

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
sdalessio - 2009-07-16 7:05 AM

On a totally different subject - it is another boring day on the Tour de France.  I've been live listening at work and they are still -footing around on the flats.  I'm waiting for the Alps and some kick a$s action.  Forget the team stuff, I want to see Lance, Alberto, Levi and that other Astanti dude throw down the gloves and race each other up the mountains.  I'll bet they can leave the rest of the field in the dust.

I may have to tune into the Open instead and see if Tiger's hitting the ball well.

He's not... But what about Steve Stricker? Dude has been so consistent lately. He's a WISC. boy Suzy!
2009-07-16 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2289058

User image

Expert
TrevorC - 2009-07-16 9:06 AM
Havin'Fun - 2009-07-16 5:42 AM

I have an OLy this weekend. 2nd one, going to travel in the car with the girls for 3 1/2 hrs tomorrow for it. Really looking forward to that drive. Supposed to be hot. Like low 90's. For me that will be hot. So get hydrated now!!! Then back in town for a few days, and then we are hitting the inlaws cabin for all of next week.

Good luck this weekend and good luck at the race, too!  LOL  Tony and I survived 10 hrs. to New Hampshire with the kids.  I have 3 words for you - PORTABLE DVD PLAYER!

2009-07-16 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2289069

User image

Expert
TrevorC - 2009-07-16 9:10 AM

He's not... But what about Steve Stricker? Dude has been so consistent lately. He's a WISC. boy Suzy!

Yeah I saw Tiger had 2 bogeys late.  What about the old boy - Tom Watson!  Shot a 65.
2009-07-16 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2289000

User image

Expert
tahrens - 2009-07-16 8:43 AM
sdalessio - 2009-07-16 9:05 AM

The one good thing about the flat stages is you get to admire Mark Cavendish, Thor Hushoff (sp?) and Boonen flexing those amazing quads at the end!   I think one of Thor's quads is the size of both of mine put together!   Yummy!!!!

There was a pretty crazy sprint to the finish yesterday.
2009-07-16 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2288995

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2009-07-16 7:41 AM
BigReub - 2009-07-16 9:27 AM First thing this morning I have to says THANKS.  Thanks to all of you for the power you provide.  Last night at the 2 mile mark of a 6 miler I was hurting.  Trying to decide to walk or call my wife.  But I kept thinking Andy, Tony, Trevor, etc busted their tails, they hurt themselves today - I will too.  I finished, but well short of my target time.  Anyhow, I'm pretty confident that without this group I would have been walking.  Thanks.

Reuben,

I am by no means a running expert, but I keep about the same speeds as you so here is my 2 cents.  First of all, there is no shame in taking walk breaks!  Often times they will improve your overall performance and pace.  There are numberous respected running coaches that recommend  a run/walk training program for runners.  Personally I have found that taking a few walking breaks  accomplishes several things for me, 1) it allows my heart rate to drop, 2) I can catch my breath, 3) good absorption of liquids during that break, 4) it allows me to hold a steadier pace.  Think about it, what is the benefit of the first few miles being at pace or faster if you have to do 15min/miles the rest of the way b/c you had to walk the whole thing?  If you do a run/walk combo you may add 10sec onto you lap pace but you'll be able to hold that pace the entire distance.

But to answer your question directly, I go for completing the distance, not the pace, providing that was a distance goal workout.  Obviously doing sprint work you want to focus on speed, not distance.  But to increase your distance endurance go for completing the distance regardless of pace. 

I agree with Tracy. Complete the distance first. One thing I have been trying to work on as well is working the second half of the distance at a negative split. I used to always start off too fast, and then die out at the end. And a 10k run...a big guy like you needs something in his system. Where's Suzy, she'll give you a better response.
2009-07-16 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2289072

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
sdalessio - 2009-07-16 10:12 AM
TrevorC - 2009-07-16 9:10 AM

Yeah I saw Tiger had 2 bogeys late.  What about the old boy - Tom Watson!  Shot a 65.

Aren't we chatty today?
2009-07-16 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Rueben,  Congrats on getting it done! Way to stay strong!!  I agree with everyone who has chimed in.   Get your miles in.
There are so many things that can affect the pacing on any given day (I think you may have identified the problem).  Not giving up was a huge hurdle and you did it.  Pacing will come.  As the late Jimmy V said "Dont give up...don't ever give up!"

2009-07-16 9:22 AM

User image

I second the DVD player.  We always buy a few new movies whenever we have a long driving trip.  Keeps the kids happy and the grown ups less-stressed and happy.  Good luck on the race!
2009-07-16 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2289105

User image

Champion

Reuben, I still highly recommend using a runnersworld.com plan for running.  It will start you off slow, build up some speed, and build up your miles, all in a very controlled manner so you don't hurt yourself.

That's what I have used for the last 2 years and my mile pace has gone down considerably without hurting myself.

2009-07-16 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2289094

User image

Champion
marietta
Havin'Fun - 2009-07-16 9:20 AM Rueben,  Congrats on getting it done! Way to stay strong!!  I agree with everyone who has chimed in.   Get your miles in.
There are so many things that can affect the pacing on any given day (I think you may have identified the problem).  Not giving up was a huge hurdle and you did it.  Pacing will come.  As the late Jimmy V said "Dont give up...don't ever give up!"

X 4.  Get your miles in. 

Nice to see the NC Girl busting out Jimmy V! He was amazing.  Here's the link to the foundation.  The Don't Give up speech from the ESPY's is on there.   If you have time to write on the MG today then I hope you find time to watch it. 

2009-07-16 9:53 AM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
Trevor, kick some tail in the Oly.

Thanks for the input concerning mileage vs pace.  Tony, I am using a Runner's World plan and I really like it.  It had me at 10:23/mile on this run.  Unfortunately I'm behind on that plan due to hours and hours of baseball.  Next time my wife has dinner at 4:30 I just have to be sure to eat again if I run at 10pm.
2009-07-16 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2289179

User image

Champion
BigReub - 2009-07-16 10:53 AM Trevor, kick some tail in the Oly.

Thanks for the input concerning mileage vs pace.  Tony, I am using a Runner's World plan and I really like it.  It had me at 10:23/mile on this run.  Unfortunately I'm behind on that plan due to hours and hours of baseball.  Next time my wife has dinner at 4:30 I just have to be sure to eat again if I run at 10pm.

hehe yeah I had to learn that as well.  It's easy to get away with eating some bad food before a short run, or not having quite enough calories for that short run.  When you start to get in those longer runs a sandwhich with brown mustard, onions and hot peppers is not the best idea.

2009-07-16 10:03 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
BigReub - 2009-07-16 8:27 AM First thing this morning I have to says THANKS.  Thanks to all of you for the power you provide.  Last night at the 2 mile mark of a 6 miler I was hurting.  Trying to decide to walk or call my wife.  But I kept thinking Andy, Tony, Trevor, etc busted their tails, they hurt themselves today - I will too.  I finished, but well short of my target time.  Anyhow, I'm pretty confident that without this group I would have been walking.  Thanks.

Hey Reuben--what was the goal of the run? was this your long run for the week? how did you establish the 10:23 pace?   why were you hurting? fatigue or pain?

I agree with the group that covering the distance is key, especially if this was your long run. For long runs, I use a wide range for pacing so the 10:40 would be a-ok.  If this was a Tempo run then pace and distance would both be important.  If you couldn't hit the 10:23 under that scenario I would say you need a slower pace overall.

There is NOTHING wrong with walking.  I started as a run/walker and slowly built up my run to walk ratio over time.  I did my first marathon this way--run 9 minutes/walk 1 minute in Chicago.  Where walking is a problem is in your speed workouts unless it is part of the recovery intereval. 

Finally, you may have had a bad day so chalk it up to that versus changing your strategy.

Oh and calling your wife isn't an option so take that out of your choice set

Make sense?

Suzy

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-07-16 10:05 AM
2009-07-16 10:14 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Havin'Fun - 2009-07-16 6:42 AM

Andy and I have a century ride Sunday.   Looks like we are going to have a big group of BT peeps rolling too.  
2009-07-16 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
B'ham

Havin'Fun - 2009-07-16 4:42 AM

Cool Plans.  Crab season opened this week so I'm heading out on the boat with my FIL to catch some Dungeness............ I <3 Crab!  A day on the water will be nice too.

2009-07-16 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2289269

User image

Champion
cadmus - 2009-07-16 11:24 AM

Havin'Fun - 2009-07-16 4:42 AM

Cool Plans.  Crab season opened this week so I'm heading out on the boat with my FIL to catch some Dungeness............ I <3 Crab!  A day on the water will be nice too.

I'll PM you my address to send some alongLaughing
2009-07-16 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2289316

User image

Champion

2009-07-16 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2289330

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-07-16 9:37 AM Someone buy this so it doesn't stare at me...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=168529&posts=3#M2289276

The Garmin Edge 705 and the cadense...only $450 dude do it.
2009-07-16 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2289369

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-07-16 11:47 AM

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=168529&posts=3#M2289276

That would mean I have to wait on a new front wheel, which is why I want one of you to buy it.

Biggie it also comes with all the maps and SD card...
2009-07-16 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2289384

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-07-16 9:53 AM

That would mean I have to wait on a new front wheel, which is why I want one of you to buy it.

What if you log in as Sam, and sent him the note of interest. Would it make you feel better that her ID bought it? Plus its $450 offered....offer him $350 and agree on $400.

Edited by TrevorC 2009-07-16 10:58 AM
2009-07-16 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2289394

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-07-16 11:57 AM
dalessit - 2009-07-16 9:53 AM

What if you log in as Sam, and sent him the note of interest. Would it make you feel better that her ID bought it?

HAHA I like the way you think.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383