BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2009-03-14 11:42 AM
in reply to: #1857347

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!)

Wes posted on Facebook! He is a triathlete!  Congrats dude!

My race went well.  I finished in 27:39.  2nd in the fat girl  Athena division (my first hardware!).  The girl that won passed me and finished like 20 seconds in front of me.  Bah!  I shaved off about 8 minutes from my last 5k time so I am very pleased.  I was shooting for sub 30 but really wanted 27.  I was close. 

Can't wait to hear how Wes's race went!

2009-03-14 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2017628

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!)

Whew!  That was fun!  My sides are still hurting :-)

Thanks guys for all of the support, it made today that much more enjoyable and easier.  The rain was a non-factor, just some very light drizzle early while setting up transition but that had stopped by the time I got back outside from the pool swim.  I had to wait well over an hour before it was my turn to go in the pool!  It was also much warmer outside than predicted -- probably 42 by the time I got outside for the bike.  It was 44 when I got in my truck and left, so not much change during that time.  Better than 36 though

I have no idea what my time was yet   I'll have to wait until they post it online I guess.  I kind of had a goal of 1:40 (not too high standards, but hey, that is pushing it for me at this point.)   Now it feels like I just took the GRE or something and have to wait for my test scores!  Hope I passed :-)

While setting up transition I was on the lookout for fellow BTers, but only a few had posted their bib# and I never saw any of them   My wife was wanting to come cheer me on, but had to stay home with our daughter who has the flu.  So it was pretty quiet for me.  Got my body marked, waited in the pool area, finished the tri, ate a pancake and went back home. 

** mini race report **

Felt good on the swim, was only passed once and I passed many :-)  I know that's not important, but it felt good.   

T1 - SLOW!  I put on tights, shirt, jacket, headband for ears and gloves.

Bike was okay.  Forgot to put on heart rate monitor, but did have my 305 mounted to the bike already.  Do you guys usually wear your 305 in the water?  That's something I should have asked before.  Had several people pass me on the first loop (mostly people that was on their second loop).  Course had more hills than I have at home so the downhills were awesome!  Going uphill was nothing to be desired as I was barely moving.  

T2 - Faster, but still felt like I was in slow motion.

Run -- ouch, I have done some brick workouts in the past, but I really struggled to get my legs going today -- also had to stop and fix my race belt as the band came undone and fell to the ground.  I did walk for about 15-20 seconds a few times each mile and my running was SLOW!  I just kind of trudged along.  This is definitely the area I have the most room for improvement.  

I did get a finishers medal though!  I didn't know they gave those :-)

All in all -- it went better than I thought it would and will have that more motivation to train harder and beat today's time (whatever it was!).  It would also be nice to actually get to meet some people from here!  Kind of felt like a loner out there today.

---

Wes

2009-03-14 3:41 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

CONGRATS WES! YOU are a TRIATHLETE!

Way to go out there! I knew you'd have fun!! Excellent job! I got all excited reading your report!!  A couple of notes, since you asked: NO, don't wear the 305 in the water. You can wear the heart rate monitor strap in the water without problem, but DO NOT wear the actual unit in the water.  And second, there are A LOT of great BT'ers in the DFW area.  Dodgersmom, Doughboy, Gaarryy, JeepFleeb, KSH, and MORE!  Just hop in the TX forum a few times, pick up the names of those folks, and they will often have group rides in the area, etc. as it gets warmer. I'm JEALOUS of the group up there in DFW area. 

Erica- EIGHT MINUTES off a 5K!?! THAT IS AWESOME!! Not to mention some hardware.  Athena is NOT the "fat girl" division--crazy lady--especially considering the weight limit is what, 150, all that takes is someone at 5'8 and normal weight, oh, isn't that YOU!  Congrats, that is awesome.

Me, I had a HORRIBLE long run.  Started off well, but yours truly thought maybe she'd tinker with nutrition during the run today. Good grief, why I didn't do that in a shorter run is beyond me. After the 8 mile mark (of an 18 miler) I couldn't take in ANY more nutrition cause my stomach didn't want it.  I didn't fully bonk, but let me tell you, if I had to go any further today, I wouldn't have made it.  If I had a husband or boyfriend, I think I would've sat down on the side of the road at some point and called him to COME GET ME.  Oh well, lesson learned, I know what DOESN'T work for run nutrition!

2009-03-15 11:26 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut

Wes, again, congrats on earning your title of triathlete!  I totally understand about feeling lonely.  I have yet to have anyone jockstrap my races.  If Bryan is around (usually not) he is hanging out with the kids at home.  I second what Brit said.  PM some BTers that are doing your next race or who live around you and try to set up some training runs/rides.  It makes a lot of difference to see a familiar face or two at a race.

Brit, sorry to hear about the nasty run!   I guess you know Infinit won't work for you on the run!  Yikes.  I'm impressed you finished your run.  I think I would have bagged it!

2009-03-15 1:27 PM

User image

Seattle, WA

Congrats to all of you finishing races!  That's fabulous news.

Hey, I have imported a training plan into my training log (I'm a Bronze performance member), but now I've customized my own plan and want to enter it.  But I can't figure out how to get rid of the BT plan and enter my own custom plan.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks for any help...

And again congrats!!!

2009-03-15 2:10 PM
in reply to: #2019002

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Profwrite - 2009-03-15 1:27 PM

Congrats to all of you finishing races!  That's fabulous news.

Hey, I have imported a training plan into my training log (I'm a Bronze performance member), but now I've customized my own plan and want to enter it.  But I can't figure out how to get rid of the BT plan and enter my own custom plan.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks for any help...

And again congrats!!!

Marie, go up to the calendar tab up top and click on the "planned."  click the Copy/Move/Delete training data, then using the delete function, delete the range of dates for the current plan.  Then, what you do, is you go into each day and put in the workout that you have planned.  That SHOULD do it for you.

2009-03-16 3:20 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Happy Monday all! I can say that, it's a recovery day for me! I have about 1 1/2 weeks of prep left before I hit the taper/race/taper/race circle, so it'll be a big week for me.  Thankfully, I have a 4-day weekend "just because" our commanding general thought it would be nice.  yay.

Okay, in order to be a good mentor I MUST share this current BT thread in Tri Talk with you...I am not judging the person at all...but I don't EVER want anyone of you to be in this situation. I am being a good mentor and answering the question before you ever IMAGINE asking it.  The only thing I will warn you about is DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES read the following thread while drinking ANY sort of liquid or you will ruin your computer....
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=150441&start=1

2009-03-17 6:29 AM
in reply to: #2021267

User image

Expert

That is awesome!!

Congrats on everyone's weekend races. I am totally overwhelmed here. I seem to get less and less training in every week. Today I will be at a fundraiser (at an Irish Pub) for 12 hours. I am sure that I will be over served and tomorrow will be a wash too. I keep telling myself that I still have time to ratchet things up and get ready for my race, but that seems to be less and less likely all the time!!

2009-03-17 5:05 PM
in reply to: #2021267

User image

Elite
Connecticut
TexasMPGal - 2009-03-16 4:20 PM

Happy Monday all! I can say that, it's a recovery day for me! I have about 1 1/2 weeks of prep left before I hit the taper/race/taper/race circle, so it'll be a big week for me.  Thankfully, I have a 4-day weekend "just because" our commanding general thought it would be nice.  yay.

Okay, in order to be a good mentor I MUST share this current BT thread in Tri Talk with you...I am not judging the person at all...but I don't EVER want anyone of you to be in this situation. I am being a good mentor and answering the question before you ever IMAGINE asking it.  The only thing I will warn you about is DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES read the following thread while drinking ANY sort of liquid or you will ruin your computer....
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=150441&start=1

That thread is the funniest thing I have read in a very long time!  Shoot.  Has to be a joke, right?  I hope so anyway!

2009-03-17 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2024049

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
ebshot - 2009-03-17 5:05 PM

That thread is the funniest thing I have read in a very long time!  Shoot.  Has to be a joke, right?  I hope so anyway!

Amazingly enough, from reading the thread and some other things, no I think it is absolutely true!! Insane yes, hilarious--ABSOLUTELY. 

2009-03-17 6:40 PM
in reply to: #2024076

User image

Elite
Connecticut
TexasMPGal - 2009-03-17 6:28 PM
ebshot - 2009-03-17 5:05 PM

Amazingly enough, from reading the thread and some other things, no I think it is absolutely true!! Insane yes, hilarious--ABSOLUTELY. 

Big props to her for fessing up to it!  If it were me, I would want to slink away and never come back! 

2009-03-17 8:43 PM
in reply to: #2022308

User image

Seattle, WA
gator22 - 2009-03-17 4:29 AM

That is awesome!!

Congrats on everyone's weekend races. I am totally overwhelmed here. I seem to get less and less training in every week. Today I will be at a fundraiser (at an Irish Pub) for 12 hours. I am sure that I will be over served and tomorrow will be a wash too. I keep telling myself that I still have time to ratchet things up and get ready for my race, but that seems to be less and less likely all the time!!

Hang in there! Be patient with yourself.  I have not trained as much as I'd like to, but I am still hoping to ratchet things up, too.  In the meantime, I just thank god for the "ability" to exercise!

2009-03-19 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2024382

User image

Expert
Well, I did a 6 mile run today and I feel much better about my prospects for finishing...
2009-03-19 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2027521

User image

Elite
Connecticut

gator22 - 2009-03-19 10:30 AM Well, I did a 6 mile run today and I feel much better about my prospects for finishing...

Nice job!  Keep up the good work and you'll be golden.  Are you following a training program?

2009-03-19 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2027521

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

gator22 - 2009-03-19 9:30 AM Well, I did a 6 mile run today and I feel much better about my prospects for finishing...

Way to go Kirk!!  I DIDN'T do my 7 mile run today and I feel much better about my prospects of doing okay.  Sounds crazy, well, there is something quirky with my left hip flexor...probably some knot of some sort.  I've been stretching it and massaging it with "The Stick" and that has helped, but it is a little painful to run.  I don't feel it at all swimming or biking (yay!).  So, instead of just pushing through something that might hurt me, I held off.  I wanted to try to get in for an ART appt. at a place in Austin tomorrow, but they were booked...but I have a 4-day weekend, so I am going to try to get a normal massage at my local place, and then go see the Chiro/Art doc on Monday.  Here is hoping between the two, that i get this thing worked out, cause I don't like my runs to be filled with pain.

I am going to also get my first open water swim for the year in tomorrow. I'm going to Barton Springs in Austin which is a natural outdoor, spring fed pool that is always 68 degrees. Perfect for triathletes to wetsuit swim in, and I need to do that before my HIM!  I may go again on Monday since I'll be down there.

Anyone else have anything they are dealing with? Any current questions or concerns?  Obviously motivation is always a big one. I have put a 140.6 sticker on my house-to-garage door so I see it every day to remind me.  Some days I just have to myself to "suck it up buttercup." 

2009-03-19 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2028152

User image

Expert
That is funny, I have one of the 70.3 stickers on my fridge too...

2009-03-19 5:49 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Maybe I need a sticker too.  I just can't seem to pony up on the long days.  I blew off my long run today cause the weather was nasty.  I did go to the gym to try to run an hour on the treadmill but my right ITB started acting up.    So, I stopped at 3 miles.  I need to get back into the swing of things but am struggling to get it all done.
2009-03-19 10:35 PM
in reply to: #2028738

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

Good job on the run Kirk!  I am going to need some motivation myself after this week!  Spending a week fishing and hanging out with cousins away from home make for bad eating/drinking!  I'm going to enjoy the rest of this week(end) and will get back on track Monday!  

---

Wes

2009-03-21 3:24 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
I got my long ride in!!!  I did end up doing it on the trainer but at least I didn't blow it off!   That being said, I just didn't have time for the 30 minute run.   Family stuff got in the way.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get both the bike and run in my schedule!  I have to be up and out no later than 6:30 to get it in before church.  Then Bryan has to work in the afternoon.  Ack!!!  It might be a trainer ride depending.  I hope not, I want to ride outside.  Come on warm weather!
2009-03-21 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2031965

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

ebshot - 2009-03-21 3:24 PM I got my long ride in!!!  I did end up doing it on the trainer but at least I didn't blow it off!   That being said, I just didn't have time for the 30 minute run.   Family stuff got in the way.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get both the bike and run in my schedule!  I have to be up and out no later than 6:30 to get it in before church.  Then Bryan has to work in the afternoon.  Ack!!!  It might be a trainer ride depending.  I hope not, I want to ride outside.  Come on warm weather!

Erica- Great job on the long ride!! Maybe turn tomorrow into a brick? Just be prepared for the run to not be as fast, and be careful to not start off too fast. I do wish you warm weather, it has made it's way here!

I also got my long ride in today--longest ride yet. Now I have my long run tomorrow and then, FINALLY my volume goes down in prep for the HIM and then the marathon. I've been having a little bit of issues with my hip flexor due to a knot, I think. So Monday I'm headed to Austin to see if ART (Active Release Technology) will resolve some of it. 

I also had my first CRASH on Friday!! It wasn't too bad...I think the only thing on the bike is my right brake got pushed over some.  My elbow got bloodied, some road rash on the hip, but nothing that will keep me from training.

I ALSO had my first ice bath today, and I forsee MANY more of those in my future!!

Keep training everyone, Spring should either be where you are or soon on it's way!!!

Oh, and have I mentioned how much I like the FLATs vs. hills...but the hills will make me stronger (or so I tell myself). My quads were asking for a divorce today!!

2009-03-21 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2032176

User image

Elite
Connecticut
TexasMPGal - 2009-03-21 7:48 PM

ebshot - 2009-03-21 3:24 PM I got my long ride in!!!  I did end up doing it on the trainer but at least I didn't blow it off!   That being said, I just didn't have time for the 30 minute run.   Family stuff got in the way.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get both the bike and run in my schedule!  I have to be up and out no later than 6:30 to get it in before church.  Then Bryan has to work in the afternoon.  Ack!!!  It might be a trainer ride depending.  I hope not, I want to ride outside.  Come on warm weather!

Erica- Great job on the long ride!! Maybe turn tomorrow into a brick? Just be prepared for the run to not be as fast, and be careful to not start off too fast. I do wish you warm weather, it has made it's way here!

I also got my long ride in today--longest ride yet. Now I have my long run tomorrow and then, FINALLY my volume goes down in prep for the HIM and then the marathon. I've been having a little bit of issues with my hip flexor due to a knot, I think. So Monday I'm headed to Austin to see if ART (Active Release Technology) will resolve some of it. 

I also had my first CRASH on Friday!! It wasn't too bad...I think the only thing on the bike is my right brake got pushed over some.  My elbow got bloodied, some road rash on the hip, but nothing that will keep me from training.

I ALSO had my first ice bath today, and I forsee MANY more of those in my future!!

Keep training everyone, Spring should either be where you are or soon on it's way!!!

Oh, and have I mentioned how much I like the FLATs vs. hills...but the hills will make me stronger (or so I tell myself). My quads were asking for a divorce today!!

Tomorrow will be a brick for sure.  I just have to make sure I know how to opperate the blasted alarm and I will be all set!

Brit, sorry to hear about the crash!!!  Ouch!  Looks like it is a bit painful.  Glad it wasn't worse! 

I can't believe this was your first ice bath!  I became a believer when I was training for the half marathon.  I couldn't believe how fresh my legs felt after I ran 11 mile and then sat in an ice bath for 15-20 minutes.  I had no soreness at all the next day.  Way worth the pain of sitting in freezing cold water for a little bit!

How's everyone else's weekend going?

2009-03-22 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2032300

User image

Expert
How do you do the ice bath? I assume you don;t have tons of ice on hand at all times. Just cold water with some ice in it??? My little man parts are shriveling just typing that....
2009-03-22 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2033117

User image

Elite
Connecticut

gator22 - 2009-03-22 4:30 PM How do you do the ice bath? I assume you don;t have tons of ice on hand at all times. Just cold water with some ice in it??? My little man parts are shriveling just typing that....

In the winter, I just fill up the tub with cold water.  The water is cold enough here to do the trick.  Summer, Fill up the tub with cold water, get in and dump a big ole bag of ice in.  Brrrrr!  It's actually not as bad as it sounds.  Really, it's not.

2009-03-22 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2033118

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
ebshot - 2009-03-22 3:32 PM

gator22 - 2009-03-22 4:30 PM How do you do the ice bath? I assume you don;t have tons of ice on hand at all times. Just cold water with some ice in it??? My little man parts are shriveling just typing that....

In the winter, I just fill up the tub with cold water.  The water is cold enough here to do the trick.  Summer, Fill up the tub with cold water, get in and dump a big ole bag of ice in.  Brrrrr!  It's actually not as bad as it sounds.  Really, it's not.

And you don't have to do it naked either.  In fact, most people I know don't.  Either in tights, shorts, spandex, etc...and then wear a sweatshirt with a hoodie to keep you warm. 

On another note, only made 10 miles of 20 miles, and the last 2 of those 10 was a run walk. My right lower leg has something going on. I'm rotating body part pain right now. Glad I'm going to see someone tomorrow.  Good thing my plan for the marathon is just to have fun and not PR, and I'm glad that most people believe cycling fitness translates to running more than vice versa. I'm gonna need it.

2009-03-22 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2033138

User image

Expert
Hope that gets better Brit!  I also wanted to pimp the new fitness product I splurged on with my tax refund. I got Bowflex selectech dumbells. They are the ones that click on the sides for different wieghts. I bought the ones that go from 5 lbs to 90 lbs. They are awesome! I thought they would be cheesey and flimsy, but they are solid and don't feel like they will break any time soon. I am so psyched to be able to pump some iron for a few minutes each day at home. I am way past the 315 bench press ego phase so it works great for me. Tonight I got home late from dropping off thing one and thing two and I was able to do thirty minutes in the basement that would not have happened before!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!) Rss Feed  

of 20