BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-02-07 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
Congrats Bob on the PR!

2010-02-07 9:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Question: Easy Week (every 4 weeks) - if one day calls for 2 short 30 min workouts, can I combine these into an easy hour workout/brick to fit my schedule or should I try to rearrange my week or are there other considerations? thx
2010-02-07 10:46 PM
in reply to: #2660442

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
I would say to keep them separated. I just started doing multiple workouts in 1 day in January, so I don't know by experience, but the recovery time from one hour-long session vs. two 30 min sessions spread out over the day would be longer and thus defeat the "easy" week.

but, wait for others to chime in - they may feel differently.
2010-02-08 6:51 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Looks like Bob did great on his 1/2 - and Rene did great on his 5k! It is really nice to hear about everyone's accomplishments. Now - let's see those race reports!

We had a great weekend here...it is the weekend of the National Toboggan Championships at the local ski area, so the town was packed with people and lots of extra activity. We got to ski both Saturday and Sunday - and got to see fireworks Saturday night over the harbor (little surreal watching fireworks in snowpants, ski jacket, gloves, hats and scarves).

We're heading down to Orlando for school vacation week (next week), so the kids are getting amped up already. I'm going to try to keep on my training schedule as much as I can (there is a pool and I'll be able to run outside!), but have also realized that I won't be able to be as focused as I have been. I figure one week won't kill me.

With doing two workouts in one day (either splitting a single sport or doing two distinct sports), I have found I do much better if I can take a significant break between the two - one first thing in the am, the second at lunch or at night...this gives my body time to recover from the first effort so I've got something to give to the second effort - otherwise, I find the second workout tends to be junk (just moving - not really training).

Anyway - again - congrats to both Bob and Rene...awesome results!
2010-02-08 8:18 AM

User image

NH
Wow, some great times in those races.  Good job Bob and Rene.

As far as doing 2 easy workouts, I'd split them if at all possible.

Edited by wbayek 2010-02-08 8:20 AM
2010-02-08 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Wow!  Those are some blistering paces, Bob & Rene!!!  Congrats to you both.  After our 2 feet of snow on Friday and Saturday, they're now calling for another 12-18" on Tuesday and Wednesday.  It's like I'm living in Buffalo, NY again!

2010-02-08 11:25 AM

User image

Elite

Congrats to Rene and Bob. Awesome times. How did you think you did during the races for pacing, hydration and pre-race fueling?

2010-02-08 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2660442

User image

Elite

mdfahy - 2010-02-07 10:32 PM Question: Easy Week (every 4 weeks) - if one day calls for 2 short 30 min workouts, can I combine these into an easy hour workout/brick to fit my schedule or should I try to rearrange my week or are there other considerations? thx

If the workouts are not meant to be easy I would not combine into an easy workout. I would do your best to fit both in, if that means waking up extra early to get a run in, or swapping the two to get a run in after the family is asleep.

2010-02-08 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2661320

User image

Expert
WA
aarondavidson - 2010-02-07 9:25 PM

Congrats to Rene and Bob. Awesome times. How did you think you did during the races for pacing, hydration and pre-race fueling?

Great job on your 1/2 Bob!

THANKS everyone!  It was a great race...nice and flat!

As far as pacing goes, it didn't go as smooth as I would have likedl!!  LOL....my GPS 305 batteries were low and before the race started my GPS batteries were DEAD!   I even had my heart rate monitor on so I could get a Max LT, but that didn't happen.  My MP3 player batteries DIED 1 mile before the finish.  I tried to use other people for pace when I could.  
Lesson learned: Charge those batteries!!

Even on this little 5K (3.1) mile race I was EXHAUSTED, asking myself "Why the heck am I running this?!" and finally I was running all out so I was at the point of almost feeling like puking.

Overall I got my PR and was happy I did it, so I can sit on the couch the rest of the day and enjoy lots of food and the Superbowl.  Smile

Edited by RunRene 2010-02-08 12:58 PM
2010-02-08 1:34 PM

User image

Elite

Tons of swim info: http://www.swimsmooth.com/intermediate.php

Probably the best website I have ever seen on swimming. All simplified. Tons of information on stroke, why there are certain movements, how to improve.

2010-02-08 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2661589

User image

Expert
WA
Jennifer, you asked about my clip-on aerobars and I wanted to respond here in case others are interested or also want to give feed back.

I got some new aerobars for xmas and am still in the process of getting used to them.  I got them because in the bike races I was in last year it seemed everyone who was in front of me had a tri bike or aerobars.   I read that while riding, approximately 70% of resistance is from the body while the other 30% is from the bike.  I do recommend them! ...even though I haven't done a race with them on yet.  I am glad I have this time to get use to them before I start racing.   Anybody else have thoughts on this?

These two links helped me adjust my aerobars
Aero on a Budget: Transform Your Current Ride Into a Race-Day Workhorse

Maximizing the Aero Position

2010-02-08 2:24 PM

User image

NH
RunRene - 2010-02-08 1:56 PM

As far as pacing goes, it didn't go as smooth as I would have likedl!!  LOL....my GPS 305 batteries were low and before the race started my GPS batteries were DEAD!   I even had my heart rate monitor on so I could get a Max LT, but that didn't happen.  My MP3 player batteries DIED 1 mile before the finish.  I tried to use other people for pace when I could.  

Even on this little 5K (3.1) mile race I was EXHAUSTED, asking myself "Why the heck am I running this?!" and finally I was running all out so I was at the point of almost feeling like puking.

Overall I got my PR and was happy I did it, so I can sit on the couch the rest of the day and enjoy lots of food and the Superbowl.  Smile

5k is not little at all.  I think the pacing on the shorter races can make them the hardest of all.  Great race and absolutely enjoy some well deserved time off.
2010-02-08 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2661780

User image

NH
RunRene - 2010-02-08 2:52 PM I am glad I have this time to get use to them before I start racing.   Anybody else have thoughts on this?

I agree with the thought it's great to have some time to get used to aerobars.  I tried them last year a few weeks before my race and couldn't handle the bike when in aero position so I didn't use them.  I am using them exclusively for training this winter, so we'll see once the snow clears how it is on the road.

I have a question for those who ride with them on a road bike:  All the courses I ride are very hilly, so I am constantly shifting.  Without moving my shifters out to the ends of the aerobars, I'd have to reposition constantly to shift.  What do you do in that case?
2010-02-08 7:54 PM
in reply to: #2661889

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-02-08 3:31 PM
RunRene - 2010-02-08 2:52 PM I am glad I have this time to get use to them before I start racing.   Anybody else have thoughts on this?

I agree with the thought it's great to have some time to get used to aerobars.  I tried them last year a few weeks before my race and couldn't handle the bike when in aero position so I didn't use them.  I am using them exclusively for training this winter, so we'll see once the snow clears how it is on the road.

I have a question for those who ride with them on a road bike:  All the courses I ride are very hilly, so I am constantly shifting.  Without moving my shifters out to the ends of the aerobars, I'd have to reposition constantly to shift.  What do you do in that case?

Its really all you can do.

Aerobars on a roadbike often stretch you out. Make sure you are used to riding them. Riding them on a roadbike is not as easy as on a TT bike that is correctly fitted. Because you are stretched out often times it does make the bike harder to handle.

2010-02-08 8:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
wbayek - 2010-02-08 1:31 Pm

I have aero bars on my road bike. It took me some time to get used to, but like you, the routes for my tri races have been hilly - but they are still nice to have. I've been able to become comfortable enough to balance on the left arm pad and shift with my right hand when needed. I don't think I shift so much to where it's constant, I find the right gear for the terrain and find my groove (something my cadence sensor has really pointed out to me). On the hills, my hands are on the hoods. but I find the aero bars useful for the majority of the race.

On a side note to Aaron's comment - I've also been experimenting with moving forwards on my seat, as to get in a position that doesn't stretch me out as much. After talking to my LBS, they said the forward seat position allows you to use the bike muscles compared to the normal position (or something to that point). But, if you are riding a hilly course, this may not be the best thing to do.
2010-02-08 9:27 PM

User image

New user
RunRene - 2010-02-08 12:56 PM

great job and a pr!  I have a few 5k races this year, wondering if you warmed up?  I have read that for shorter races (like 5k), you need to run around for a mile or so before you race.   Any thoughts?

2010-02-09 6:42 AM
in reply to: #2662526

User image

NH
fire eagle - 2010-02-08 10:27 PM
great job and a pr!  I have a few 5k races this year, wondering if you warmed up?  I have read that for shorter races (like 5k), you need to run around for a mile or so before you race.   Any thoughts?

I would definitely warm up with a good paced run.  You don't have time to get loose and a 5k is pretty intense from the start.

Edited by wbayek 2010-02-09 6:43 AM
2010-02-09 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
With regard to areo bars, it's simply a matter of practice, practice, practice.  I've had a tri bike for 2 years and getting used to aero bars is a huge adjustment.  It took me quite some time to get accustomed to going downhill at high speeds in the aero position.  I still have about a 35-40 mph cutoff where I just don't feel safe in the aero position.  But I get more comfortable as my time in the saddle (and in the aero position) increases.

In other news... I'm laid up for a few days.  Nothing training related, but just a VERY uncomfortable "ailment".  I'm hoping to be able to do some running this weekend, but we'll wait and see how things go.  I'm really bummed about this little setback as I am anxious to increase my running distances in prep for the 1/2 mary that's just a month away.  We're going to be snowed in tomorrow (AGAIN), so I'm just going to take it easy at home. 
2010-02-09 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
RunRene - 2010-02-08 12:56 PM

That sounds like you ran a 5K like it's supposed to be run.  Good job!  I have always thought 5K's were tough.  Tougher than 15K's or triathlons.  The only event tougher than 5K in my opinion is the 800m in track.  Grats on the PR, and this is just the beginning of the season.  Many more to come.

Edited by ray6foot7 2010-02-09 9:07 AM
2010-02-09 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK

I ride aero bars on my road bike.  When I first started using them 24 years ago, the shifters were on the down tube.  Talk about repositioning to shift.  It was quite annoying.  Finally, in 1999, I went to bar end shifting.  Heavenly.  I don't find it inconvenient to shift while hill climbing, but I also have never known the "luxury" of shifters in my brake levers.  So, is my fondness of using bar end shifters for all courses a learned thing over the years or just ignorance of better equipment?  Either way, I LOVE bar end shifters.  I am not sure this answered your question.  Undecided
2010-02-09 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2663106

User image

NH
ray6foot7 - 2010-02-09 10:23 AM

I ride aero bars on my road bike.  When I first started using them 24 years ago, the shifters were on the down tube.  Talk about repositioning to shift.  It was quite annoying.  Finally, in 1999, I went to bar end shifting.  Heavenly.  I don't find it inconvenient to shift while hill climbing, but I also have never known the "luxury" of shifters in my brake levers.  So, is my fondness of using bar end shifters for all courses a learned thing over the years or just ignorance of better equipment?  Either way, I LOVE bar end shifters.  I am not sure this answered your question.  Undecided

I think you answered it.  I guess I have to bite the bullet and either move the shifters and do aero all the time (or as much as possible), or leave the shifters where they are and live with repositioning to shift.  I'll have to make the call as I ride outside again once the snow and ice go away.  I can't wait until someone unloads a pile of money in my driveway and I can justify a tri bike!

2010-02-09 11:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
ok race report is up here http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=195863

Thanks everyone for the congratulations and hearty backslap to Rene for a way fast PR. Awesome!

Have fun on vacation Jennifer, it's good to back off every 3-4 weeks from what I've read so don't stress and just have fun.

Thanks everyone for the great links. Something good to read during my more em...anti-stimulating...conference calls.
2010-02-09 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2662951

User image

Expert
WA
billsorg - 2010-02-08 6:24 PM With regard to areo bars, it's simply a matter of practice, practice, practice.  I've had a tri bike for 2 years and getting used to aero bars is a huge adjustment.  It took me quite some time to get accustomed to going downhill at high speeds in the aero position.  I still have about a 35-40 mph cutoff where I just don't feel safe in the aero position.  But I get more comfortable as my time in the saddle (and in the aero position) increases.

In other news... I'm laid up for a few days.  Nothing training related, but just a VERY uncomfortable "ailment".  I'm hoping to be able to do some running this weekend, but we'll wait and see how things go.  I'm really bummed about this little setback as I am anxious to increase my running distances in prep for the 1/2 mary that's just a month away.  We're going to be snowed in tomorrow (AGAIN), so I'm just going to take it easy at home. 

35-40 mph?!  Nice!!  I look forward to when I am that comfortable.  The fastest I think I have gone is 30.  I get nervous just making small turns too!...so I slow right down.  I am going to keep PRACTICING!  Hopefully when racing starts I will be ready! Smile 

Hope your ailment cures up soon!

2010-02-09 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2662526

User image

Expert
WA
fire eagle - 2010-02-08 7:27 AM great job and a pr!  I have a few 5k races this year, wondering if you warmed up?  I have read that for shorter races (like 5k), you need to run around for a mile or so before you race.   Any thoughts?

The temperature outside was somewhere between 32F and 34F.
I usually don't warm up too much because I don't want to tire myself out.  This time about 30 minutes before the race I took a hammer gel and I jogged 1/4 to 1/2 a mile.  I went into a building and stretched a little after that warm up run.
2010-02-09 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2663106

User image

Expert
WA
ray6foot7 - 2010-02-08 7:23 PM

Just so I am clear here.  Your bar-end shifters are at the end of you handle bars like this:
http://www.click-stand.com/images/bar_end_shifters1.jpg
Not at the end of the aerobars?

The reason I ask is I currently have the shifters on the brake levers, but I do have the option to move them to the end of the aerobars.  I bought aerobars that allow this option.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76