BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-01-02 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2559403

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Subject: RE: Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED

Finally checking in!

I was away visiting my family who live in a rather remote location.  Thought my mobile "high-speed" internet signal was going to be good (according to the provider, it SHOULD have been) but that was alas not the case hence why I went M.I.A. for a while.

I hope everyone had a terrific holiday season and I wish you all that you desire for 2010!

Got some catching up to do... Will be back later.

2010-01-02 7:52 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
I swam. 
And nooooo I am not eating clean....and you cannot make me!!    
2010-01-02 7:56 PM
in reply to: #2589935

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Wasn't expecting it from Ms. Potato Chips (the eating bit).

aquagirl - 2010-01-02 8:52 PM

I swam. 
And nooooo I am not eating clean....and you cannot make me!!    
2010-01-02 8:10 PM
in reply to: #2589784

Uxbridge
enders_shadow - 2010-01-02 7:25 PM
kew - 2010-01-02 6:05 PM

The healthy eating is going good.  Most of the goodies have been consumed by the boys.  Just a little wine left in the house.  Dinner will be a lean piece of steak and some asparagus (oh...and maybe a glass of that wine ).

Wine doesn't qualify as a bad goodie. It's a necessity. Like air.

Wine is great for circulation!!!! Aquagirl and I are health care professionals...we have lots of medical advice of this nature.

My eating has sucked! I am being a very bad role model!!!! 
2010-01-02 9:55 PM
in reply to: #2589917

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-01-02 10:20 PM

Veteran
Auburn, Wa
Evening all, loved the xtranormal.com post. I'm posting a you tube one that you all may enjoy. The Healthcare workers among us should find it especially entertaining. Enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m64cy1MMPg

CHris

2010-01-03 10:35 AM

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
I was happy that I made it through the day with no candy. There is still quite a bit in the house but I hid it in the back of the cupboard. I will stay strong today. Making a lentil carrot casserole today!
2010-01-03 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2590173

Uxbridge
erlifeguard - 2010-01-02 11:20 PM Evening all, loved the xtranormal.com post. I'm posting a you tube one that you all may enjoy. The Healthcare workers among us should find it especially entertaining. Enjoy!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m64cy1MMPgCHris

Chris that was VERY funny!!!
2010-01-03 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2589917

Uxbridge
Nats - 2010-01-02 8:38 PM

Finally checking in!

I was away visiting my family who live in a rather remote location.  Thought my mobile "high-speed" internet signal was going to be good (according to the provider, it SHOULD have been) but that was alas not the case hence why I went M.I.A. for a while.

I hope everyone had a terrific holiday season and I wish you all that you desire for 2010!

Got some catching up to do... Will be back later.

Hey Nats!
Glad you are back.
2010-01-03 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2590173

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
erlifeguard - 2010-01-02 11:20 PM Evening all, loved the xtranormal.com post. I'm posting a you tube one that you all may enjoy. The Healthcare workers among us should find it especially entertaining. Enjoy!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m64cy1MMPg CHris

LOL
So very true!!
I am glad my patients cannot fake stuff for drugs............neonates tend to be very honest with their symptoms!!
2010-01-03 10:51 AM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
OK  everybody....holidays are over so we should all be able to get back on track....whatever track that may be.

I thought we could each post an obstacle that we have to training or maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Then perhaps others could chime in with possible ways around the obstacles? Sometimes others can see solutions to problems that we not be able to. 

I have a problem with my nightshifts. The issue is  not so much with not getting the workouts done after a night....but more with the fact that after a nightshift or two my nutrition goes out the window..I KNOW I am not fueling properly when I work. Its just difficult to eat during the middle of the night. Then I wake up and go swim or run or whatever and feel "depleted". I have struggled with this for years. 

2010-01-03 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2590568

2010-01-03 11:17 AM

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
One of my obstacles is being a crazy busy mom (like a lot of folks around here - I know I'm not unique in this)...on Monday nights Elder Monkey has piano after school, so dinner is a rush, and on Tuesdays and Thursdays through January both girls have swimming lessons right after dinner time, so again a rush. I often fall into the trap of making something easy (and often not as healthy) to keep us on schedule. My plan to overcome this obstacle is to plan ahead a little better - make some crock pot dinners or cook ahead.
2010-01-03 11:19 AM

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
That is funny to have a post from Sweetums.

Bopper has a Sweetums and I have a Sugar Daddy...but Sugar Daddy doesn't actually know that I call him that. And I'm not sure he would be as amused as I am by it.
2010-01-03 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2590613

2010-01-03 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2590568

2010-01-03 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2590592

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Bopper - 2010-01-03 12:07 PM

aquagirl - 2010-01-03 11:51 AM

OK  everybody....holidays are over so we should all be able to get back on track....whatever track that may be.

I thought we could each post an obstacle that we have to training or maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Then perhaps others could chime in with possible ways around the obstacles? Sometimes others can see solutions to problems that we not be able to. 

I have a problem with my nightshifts. The issue is  not so much with not getting the workouts done after a night....but more with the fact that after a nightshift or two my nutrition goes out the window..I KNOW I am not fueling properly when I work. Its just difficult to eat during the middle of the night. Then I wake up and go swim or run or whatever and feel "depleted". I have struggled with this for years. 

Sweetums here...Kev asked how my eating habits are while on nights, and I thought it easier to write it down myself. In a nutshell...I know I eat more than normal while on nights, and not always the best. That's partly due to the fact that I feel a bit "entitled" due to the "hardship" aspects of being on nights, as well as the fact that my body is simply off-kilter, and I eat for comfort as much as to fuel. Having said that...this is the routine that I've basically settled into over the years...

I start work at 11:00 pm. Generally I take a first break around 12:30 and indulge in some reheated coffee, a small bowl of cereal with milk, and I TRY to add to that a piece of fruit, and maybe a small dose of protein like a hard-boiled egg, or small piece of hard cheese.

By 3:30-4:00 I am generally hungry again, and at that point I have more of a "meal". i.e. a sandwich, or maybe a small frozen entree.  And maybe a cookie just because I want to. lol   That's it for the shift. When I get home I'm generally in bed by 8:15 or so, but even though I'm not usually overly hungry, I know I have to eat a little bit or I WILL be hungry and I don't want my sleep disturbed. So, typicall have another VERY SMALL helping of cereal. I get up around 3:30...and have a normal supper with my family around 6:00.  If I'm GOOD, that includes a salad, veggies, etc....even though I don't always feel in the mood for that kind of healthy fare...I try to make myself eat it. I head off to work for 11:00...and the cycle starts again. So, as you can see, I've kind of added a meal or two, unless you count the cereal as more of a snack. I'm just glad I only do a total of 7 nights in 10 weeks! Or I'd probably swell up to blimp size.   That's my routine.

Hi Sweetums! Nice to see you here!
OK.....I just cannot eat at night. I work 12 hour nights and while I will nibble on things like crackers and fruit and cheese and nuts during the evening part of my shift, after midnight I do NOT want to eat. I force myself to have cereal when I get home.....then usually only sleep 2-3 hours. Wake up and have coffee....and am STILL not hungry.
So I LOSE meals when I work. And it catches up to me. Sometimes I wish there was a big pill I could take when I work nights that would have everything I need in it. Now  please note that i only work nights......but also only work 35% of a full time position.....so it could be worse i guess......
2010-01-03 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2590610

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
enders_shadow - 2010-01-03 12:17 PM One of my obstacles is being a crazy busy mom (like a lot of folks around here - I know I'm not unique in this)...on Monday nights Elder Monkey has piano after school, so dinner is a rush, and on Tuesdays and Thursdays through January both girls have swimming lessons right after dinner time, so again a rush. I often fall into the trap of making something easy (and often not as healthy) to keep us on schedule. My plan to overcome this obstacle is to plan ahead a little better - make some crock pot dinners or cook ahead.

Marianne and I were just talking about crockpots. I have yet to fall in love with mine. i just do not like the way food tastes when cooked in a crockpot.....but I KNOW that it is the perfect solution. It would make my life easier as well. I am the only one that cooks in my family.....so if I am working a couple of nights and do not feel like cooking its take out pizza!! YUCK. I loathe take out pizza. 

Does anybody have any good recipes for the crock pot?
Kristen it IS hard when your kids are busy......my kids are on the go every night of the week with karate and piano We tend to eat at odd times to acommodate this. Sometimes early, sometimes late. I actually have a repetoire of meals that are VERY quick to prepare so as long as I have been organized with grocery shopping and have the ingredients its not so bad. And once a week I make something like soup or spaghetti sauce that we can reheat and eat. 
i do find it daunting to plan meals for a whole week.....so i just try and plan for 3 days.......with one meal being a "big pot" meal. I also always try and have stuff in the freezer on hand to throw something quick together: like salmon or even lean beef patties. Then add basmati and a salad and dinner can be ready in as little as 20 minutes.
 I am off to get groceries for the week....I will let you know if I have any stunning revelations in the store!!!! 
2010-01-03 12:36 PM

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Yay for crockpots!  I am looking forward to make that cranberry-orange bread with it.  It is made with, yes, cottage cheese and a 10 grain bread mix from Bob's Red Mill.  Very moist and yummy!  I will also be making turkey meatballs, spinach nuggets and marinara sauce to dip them in and for pasta later this week.

Just came back from a 5.14 km run.  My foot is doing well, wearing the Strassburg sock overnight for the past couple of weeks has helped a great deal.  I also have been stretching my calf muscles a lot more, used the foam roller regularly and performed inversion and eversion foot stretches with a strap as well.

It's back to the grind beginning tomorrow at work, at play and with cleaner eating.

Edited by Nats 2010-01-03 12:39 PM
2010-01-03 12:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL
The only recipe I have for a crockpot/slow cooker is for chili cheese dip.  You probably don't want that.  I'd have to ask my wife for more.  You could always try a roast?
2010-01-03 1:21 PM

2010-01-03 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2590773

Veteran
Lakeland, FL
Love the crockpot.  I make a mean pot roast in the crockpot with potatoes, carrots, celery, onions and garlic.  You can find countless recipes online for the crockpot - try http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_slow_cooker_recipes
for starters.
Chicken dishes with veggies are also a crockpot favorite.  
2010-01-03 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2590649

2010-01-03 3:33 PM

Veteran
British Columbia

Hi gang...

The biggest obstacle I have is guilt.  Being a single mom (their dad is not involved with them much) I feel guilty leaving them alone after the recent divorce.  Now I know they're 15 and 18 and probably wouldn't even miss me, but I like them to know I am here for them if they need me (also make sure they're doing their homework).

Saving for a treadmill for downstairs in the garage and will set up my trainer there too.  That would leave just swim workouts and my long runs (which I prefer to do outside).  Lately, I have been getting up early to do my runs (while the kids are still asleep) and I am back before they wake up.

I love my crockpot.  One of the things I cook in it is lasagne.  I use the "oven ready" noodles and make the sauce a little thicker than I normally do.

A trainer workout is planned for today.  Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone.

2010-01-03 3:36 PM

Uxbridge
sweetums...so nice of you to try and help Helen with her night shift eating.

I was thinking that along with eating better in the new year perhaps we should do a distance challenge. ( I stole this idea from  my mentor Bryan) How  'bout we all try to complete and iron distance this month 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of biking and 26.2 of running????For some this might be a bit of a challenge for thers not so much. But it could be fun

Kevin, I know you are injured...so you can only complete the swim portion ( or perhaps double or triple it!)

What do you all think??
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76