BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2010-07-22 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2770788

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed
My LBS has been trying to get me to go for a couple of weeks. Finally had a ride scheduled for Wednesday night anyways and figured, what the heck.

It was a fairly hilly course (as all courses in TN are) so I'd like to see what I could do somewhere like Florida.

Still, one guy put down a 27mph average! But afterwards he told me he was a Cat2 racer...so I feel a bit better about it.

USAC also has a list for each area (of course, like USAT, you have to either become a member or buy the 1day pass)

2010-07-23 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Has anyone here ever had shingles? I just realized this morning that I have it. I'm actually a little relieved- my back has been super tight and I was afraid that I had a slipped disc causing nerve damage or something! My skin has been super sensitive with weird sensations of cold and wetness (when it's not cold or wet) on the left side of my stomach and back. Then, this morning, the telltale little rash appeared. Bummer.

Anyway, my question is, there's no medicine to treat it since it's a virus. But I can keep training normally, right? As long as I try to get more sleep and eat right and stress less?
2010-07-23 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2999793

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington

eca712 - 2010-07-23 8:23 AM Has anyone here ever had shingles? I just realized this morning that I have it. I'm actually a little relieved- my back has been super tight and I was afraid that I had a slipped disc causing nerve damage or something! My skin has been super sensitive with weird sensations of cold and wetness (when it's not cold or wet) on the left side of my stomach and back. Then, this morning, the telltale little rash appeared. Bummer. Anyway, my question is, there's no medicine to treat it since it's a virus. But I can keep training normally, right? As long as I try to get more sleep and eat right and stress less?

Oh no!  That sounds like no fun!  Have you talked to your doctor about it? I would think you should slow down (which we're all so good at, right?) so your body can fight it off.  Isn't shingles a recurrence of the chicken pox virus or something?

2010-07-23 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2999834

User image

Veteran
MechEChick - 2010-07-23 10:44 AM

QUOTE]

Oh no!  That sounds like no fun!  Have you talked to your doctor about it? I would think you should slow down (which we're all so good at, right?) so your body can fight it off.  Isn't shingles a recurrence of the chicken pox virus or something?

It is a recurrence of chicken pox- usually only old people get it, but young people can get it after periods of stress. I haven't been that stressed, but it happened right after my race, so maybe it's from that?? I did a search on here and a couple of people have gotten it after races. But I mean, it's not like I did an Ironman!

But I will try to slow down. And obviously stay out of the pool if the blisters open up (ewwww sorry).
2010-07-23 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2999860

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
eca712 - 2010-07-23 8:53 AM
MechEChick - 2010-07-23 10:44 AM QUOTE]

It is a recurrence of chicken pox- usually only old people get it, but young people can get it after periods of stress. I haven't been that stressed, but it happened right after my race, so maybe it's from that?? I did a search on here and a couple of people have gotten it after races. But I mean, it's not like I did an Ironman! But I will try to slow down. And obviously stay out of the pool if the blisters open up (ewwww sorry).

A good friend of mine had a flare of that in high school, no good. Hey, and no triathlons are a walk in the park! Hopefully it'll clear up soon!!!
2010-07-23 2:24 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Oh wow Get Better quick Emily!

I remember having Chicken Pox as a kid... no way I'd want to repeat that.

2010-07-26 11:15 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

Checking back in.  Going out of town kind of messes up training. then returning to work gets in the way.

I did manage to get in a good Swim/Ride on Saturday and then a longer ride on Sunday.

I officially signed up to be the swimmer-bike racer on a relay team with my daughter doing the 5K run.

Left heal is a little better but still not running.  

I am thinking about closing out my season with a 1/2 Iron Aqua-Bike in Myrtle Beach the first week in October.

Kevin
2010-07-26 6:22 PM

Southeastern NC

From what I understand chickenpox as an adult can be dangerous. I would check with your doctor before doing any heavy training to see if its safe. Good luck.

P.s: BRICKS are hard.

2010-07-27 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3005912

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
mross - 2010-07-26 7:22 PM

From what I understand chickenpox as an adult can be dangerous. I would check with your doctor before doing any heavy training to see if its safe. Good luck.

That's a sign you are doing them right haha.
2010-07-27 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3004719

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
b2673ad - 2010-07-26 12:15 PM Hello

Checking back in.  Going out of town kind of messes up training. then returning to work gets in the way.

I did manage to get in a good Swim/Ride on Saturday and then a longer ride on Sunday.

I officially signed up to be the swimmer-bike racer on a relay team with my daughter doing the 5K run.

Left heal is a little better but still not running.  

I am thinking about closing out my season with a 1/2 Iron Aqua-Bike in Myrtle Beach the first week in October.

Kevin

Kevin, glad to hear the foot is healing up. Give it plenty of time... you need that foot
The relay sounds like a great idea, especially if you get to do it with your daughter.

Most importantly, if you get to go to Myrtle Beach in October, you will get the whole beach/town to yourself after the race!
I went in Nov. for my birthday one year, it was like a ghost town.
2010-07-27 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3005912

User image

Veteran

Thanks Mike- I'm feeling a lot better today. I've had some underlying muscle pain in my back, but nothing too bad. And I took the last three days completely off and have forced myself to sleep by 11:00. I need to keep doing that!

Just out of curiosity- on average, how many hours of sleep do you get each night? Before this whole shingles thing, I was averaging 5.5-6.5 hours a night. Not enough for me normally, let alone when training regularly.

2010-07-27 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3007081

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
eca712 - 2010-07-27 11:04 AM

Thanks Mike- I'm feeling a lot better today. I've had some underlying muscle pain in my back, but nothing too bad. And I took the last three days completely off and have forced myself to sleep by 11:00. I need to keep doing that! Just out of curiosity- on average, how many hours of sleep do you get each night? Before this whole shingles thing, I was averaging 5.5-6.5 hours a night. Not enough for me normally, let alone when training regularly.

5.5 - 6.5 hours! You are a machine!
Anything under 8 hours and I make it an extra point to catch up the next night.
Usually anywhere from 8 - 10 hours.

In college... 3 or less Thursday - Sunday.
2010-07-27 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3007111

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Leegoocrap - 2010-07-27 9:12 AM
eca712 - 2010-07-27 11:04 AM Thanks Mike- I'm feeling a lot better today. I've had some underlying muscle pain in my back, but nothing too bad. And I took the last three days completely off and have forced myself to sleep by 11:00. I need to keep doing that! Just out of curiosity- on average, how many hours of sleep do you get each night? Before this whole shingles thing, I was averaging 5.5-6.5 hours a night. Not enough for me normally, let alone when training regularly.

5.5 - 6.5 hours! You are a machine!
Anything under 8 hours and I make it an extra point to catch up the next night.
Usually anywhere from 8 - 10 hours.

In college... 3 or less Thursday - Sunday.

Glad to hear you're feeling better, keep resting up and fell better!

That isn't much sleep at all! I normally get 7-7.5, but on a big training week, closer to 8.
2010-07-27 4:48 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

I wanted to get you all thoughts on this.

Myrtle Beach is hosting the Half Max Championships (1/2 IM, Oly & Sprint) on 2 Oct &  Myrtle Beach is about an hour 1/2 drive from Charleston.

I want to close out my season with one additional race  so I have been thinking about trying to start running again and maybe do the Sprint Race or do  the 1/2 Aqua-Bike and focus the winter working on my running.

I think getting a chance to race with National championship triahtlete's will be pretty exciting.

I am kind of leaning toward the AquaBike since I know I can do the swim and bike now. Plus with 9 weeks for good training I can have a good race.

My long term goal for next year is to do a full 1/2 IM.

Kevin
2010-07-27 8:01 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Ahh... pain pilled out.

Like a dummy I decided to stay out a bit late after my ride and work on my transitions... even though I shouldn't be pushing things this close to my Ironman.

Well, I paid for it, caught a shoe on the pavement while practicing my flying mount... to a pretty hard spill. Lots of blood and tar in my road rash (my favorite is scrubbing it out in the shower!) but the only worrysome thing is a gash on my left knee and a bit of swelling to go with it.

Have to run tomorrow morning... we'll see if my leg will allow it. This close to race however, I don't really have a choice in being "hurt" or not. If it's not extremely serious, I'll just have to work through it.

Wish luck to all of us fools who don't know when to quit.
2010-07-28 6:12 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
On the plus I woke up this morning and wasn't so sore I couldn't walk.

So I ran.
Slowly mind you... and not without a reminder of my foolishness, but I got it done.

2010-07-28 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3008400

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
b2673ad - 2010-07-27 3:48 PM Hello

Myrtle Beach is hosting the Half Max Championships (1/2 IM, Oly & Sprint) on 2 Oct &  Myrtle Beach is about an hour 1/2 drive from Charleston.

I want to close out my season with one additional race  so I have been thinking about trying to start running again and maybe do the Sprint Race or do  the 1/2 Aqua-Bike and focus the winter working on my running.

I think getting a chance to race with National championship triahtlete's will be pretty exciting.

I am kind of leaning toward the AquaBike since I know I can do the swim and bike now. Plus with 9 weeks for good training I can have a good race.

Kevin

I think doing the Aquabike is a wonderful idea. Then you can focus on rehabbing your foot and not worry about getting it back to race-level before then. And you’ll be setting yourself up for success at a half iron next year.  I’m glad to see you aren’t letting the injury get you down!

Have fun at the race with your daughter, that sounds like it’ll be fun for both of you!!

2010-07-28 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3009035

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Leegoocrap - 2010-07-28 5:12 AM On the plus I woke up this morning and wasn't so sore I couldn't walk.

So I ran.
Slowly mind you... and not without a reminder of my foolishness, but I got it done.

Glad to hear you aren't seriously injured! That sounds like it was incredibly painful. Best wishes for a complete recovery before your IM!
2010-07-28 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Well I have a question for everybody. I'm headed to Alaska on Friday for 9 days to visit a friend and do some fun exploring. I'm really excited, but I had high hopes for putting in a hard training week prior to leaving. Needless to say, that isn't happening while I try to frantically pack and run errands for things I don't have. While I'm up there, I think I should be able to get in 3 short runs on the days we're in Anchorage, which will make it a very low hour recovery week. The week I get back I have a race on Saturday. Should I just jump right back in with high hours that week and just take Friday off? It's a 'B' race for me and I need to keep going to finish out training for my 'A' race in September.  And do you think taking 2 weeks off will slow me down?
2010-07-28 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3009436

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
MechEChick - 2010-07-28 10:23 AM
b2673ad - 2010-07-27 3:48 PM Hello

Kevin

I think doing the Aquabike is a wonderful idea. Then you can focus on rehabbing your foot and not worry about getting it back to race-level before then. And you’ll be setting yourself up for success at a half iron next year.  I’m glad to see you aren’t letting the injury get you down!

Have fun at the race with your daughter, that sounds like it’ll be fun for both of you!!

Absolutely Agree with everything above.
2010-07-28 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3009471

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
MechEChick - 2010-07-28 10:34 AM Well I have a question for everybody. I'm headed to Alaska on Friday for 9 days to visit a friend and do some fun exploring. I'm really excited, but I had high hopes for putting in a hard training week prior to leaving. Needless to say, that isn't happening while I try to frantically pack and run errands for things I don't have. While I'm up there, I think I should be able to get in 3 short runs on the days we're in Anchorage, which will make it a very low hour recovery week. The week I get back I have a race on Saturday. Should I just jump right back in with high hours that week and just take Friday off? It's a 'B' race for me and I need to keep going to finish out training for my 'A' race in September.  And do you think taking 2 weeks off will slow me down?

I say put in as much "Hard" work as you can on the bike/run before you leave. Short, high zone3 / low zone 4 intervals. Nothing over an hour.  Then use the time you are in Alaska as you have planned. The week you come back, do some short runs (around race'ish intensity) and a couple of rides / swims. Take Thur/Fri or just Fri off completely.

Before you leave is the time to "gain" anything that you want to notice on Race Day.
In Alaska, have fun.
In that week back in town, you aren't going to do any "Good" for your fitness by Saturday. Just do enough to keep your legs / muscles remembering how "racing" feels.

2010-07-30 8:33 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Did my second time trial Wednesday night. Not as good as last week, but then I was covered in road rash with a sore leg/hips/ribs/shoulder haha.

Still, took my PowerTap and layed down some records in my 10min (267pwr) and 20min(233pwr) times.

Swim today, swim and ride a bit tomorrow, and lllllooooooonnnnnnggggg run Sunday. I won't miss those 2.5+ hour runs at all after Sept.

Hope everyone else is doing good.
2010-07-30 10:13 AM

Southeastern NC

About the sleep thing. If you're not getting at least 7 hours a sleep a night you cannot recover properly (mind and body) and it will catch up to you sooner or later. With more sleep comes better performances at work and play as well as a greater abiltiy to lose weight. 

2010-08-02 10:04 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Got my long run in yesterday and I'm not hobbling around today! woohoo. Ribs are still a bit sore from the crash the other day, but nothing big.

Think I'll take my Road bike out to the time trial this Wednesday so I'll have something to compare "how much faster a tri bike is"

2010-08-03 7:25 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
I did it

Signed up for the HalfMax  1/2 IM  AquaBike  2 Oct in Myrtle Beach.

I will be a swimming and riding workout warrior the next 8 weeks.

Kevin
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 19