BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-04-28 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2821500

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!

dinabean - 2010-04-27 8:06 PM Lynn, how did I not know that about you?!?!  That's really cool, that you give back in that way.  I must admit, it's hard to imagine you as anything other than a 70.3 Rock Star, though! 

I did a little research, and I can't find a single meeting in my area that works in my overprogrammed life.  Grrr.  I did WW a looooonng time ago(15 years ago, maybe?  Right after the introduced points and before I ever owned a cell phone) and I remember struggling with the whole figuring out points thing.  I take it that part is a lot easier with online tools today? 

Dineen -- If you can't find a meeting, then on-line would be an alternative for sure. Kind of surprised you can't find a meeting though. Seems like we have them almost any time of day. I think just writing down what you eat is a HUGE help and sometimes wake up call. Learning what to swap for higher fat/calorie foods and the real biggee,  why we overeat in the first place. WW does address all these. There's a WW app for mobile phones as well that might be helpful that's free and would connect to the online program if you decided to do that. 

2010-04-28 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2821664

User image

Master
Vista, CA

TriAya - 2010-04-28 12:13 AM Weight. ARGH! Weight! Kerry is right--it's hard. I have lost 120 lbs NET from my heaviest, but my guess is that I've actually lost a total of 200 lbs or so, between gaining it back and such.

Different things have worked for me at different times. Here are my random thoughts.

I'm a WW fan, and I did it online, although I had a BFF/weight loss buddy who was doing it with me, so we'd discuss once a week or so and we often ate together.

Weight loss really is calories in/calories out. It's a LOT easier to cut calories (and eat delicious filling foods--I LOVE WW's zero-points soup!) than it is to burn them.

Also, doing weight training might do more for you than boot camp, if weight loss is your goal. Muscle burns a lot more calories at rest than fat, and it shapes you nicely .

Weight loss--and I really prefer to call it health-building--can be aggravatingly slow. However, I really agree with the whole pay-attention-to-FITNESS thing rather than focusing on numbers.

Is training better? Do you FEEL fitter? How's your resting heart rate? Clothes fit differently? Skin more aglow? Are you drinking LOTS of water, btw?

I have done MUCH better with implementing one small change at a time than say being strict about everything. For example, one week I switched to all lowfat dairy products, then later, all nonfat and no cheese. Maybe the next week, focus on eating a filling breakfast with quality protein and a little healthy fat to keep you satisfied. Plenty of fruit. (Or if that's a struggle, how about just making sure you DO eat breakfast every day, even if it's marginally healthy)?

X 2 -- what Yanti said.

2010-04-28 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2822639

User image

Master
Vista, CA

elbi999 - 2010-04-28 8:37 AM Hi all!

OK another thumbs up for WW here.  I joined WW in 2006 and lost 47 lbs in less than 6 months.  I followed the program to a T-every point was counted every day and I never went over my allowance...I kept the weight off for about a year and a half and started to get lazy with keeping track of points.  Portions slowly got bigger and bigger again and I have put back on some of the weight (maybe half of it, not sure since I won't look at the scale).  I just started back on the program about 3 or 4 weeks ago and have lost about 6 lbs.  So like someone else said it works great IF you follow the program.  I was frustrated because I was getting slower in my races, not faster, because of the weight I put on.  I should be getting faster with experience.  So I made the promise to myself to lose the weight and get back on track.  

I had a great masters swim last night.  I was going to run today but it was very cold and my little one was tired so I bagged the run and am being lazy.  Someone needs to give me a kick in the rear to motivate me... anyone? 

This weekend there will be minimal training too- we are headed out of state for a communion on saturday, then from there we are driving to Hershey to surprise our daughter with a day at Hershey Park on Sunday.  

I need to get my bike off the trainer for a tune up and get out there and ride.  I am so in trouble since my biking has been non existent.  

Check in with you alll later.   Tonight I  will be enjoying A Night of Chocolate with my sister- a 3 1/2 hours class all about chocolate! YUMMY!!

Laura 

Kick, kick, kick....feel that one Laura?

I'm not sure I'd let myself loose in a chocolate workshop! Congrats on your previous weight loss, btw. Enjoy your trip to Hershey....hmmmm am I seeing a brown-colored pattern here? Ha!

2010-04-28 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2822862

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
lmscozz - 2010-04-28 12:22 PM

Dineen -- If you can't find a meeting, then on-line would be an alternative for sure. Kind of surprised you can't find a meeting though. Seems like we have them almost any time of day. I think just writing down what you eat is a HUGE help and sometimes wake up call. Learning what to swap for higher fat/calorie foods and the real biggee,  why we overeat in the first place. WW does address all these. There's a WW app for mobile phones as well that might be helpful that's free and would connect to the online program if you decided to do that. 

Well, I am just full of excuses.  There are a bunch of Saturday morning meetings in my area, which would normally be ideal, except (a) the kids have soccer, and (b) I really don't want to give my my one spin class a week.  No other weekend meetings that I can find.  A lot of meetings are around 5-6 pm, but I can't get out of work that early, and if I did, then I would also have to be able to count on my husband picking up the kids and starting to feed them, which is hard too.  The nearest lunch meeting is 20 minutes from my office (what I love about my office:  beautiful bay view.  However, really off the beaten path from most of Tampa civilization), so that would eat up too much of my day, and frankly, it's really hard for me to get away from my desk at all when part of how I manage my "reduced" hours is to stay at my desk through lunch.  There is a Wed. 8:30 am meeting at a Y downtown.  I would have to leave my house at 7:15 to make it there on time, or else bring my workout clothes and go even earlier to get a workout in that day, maybe leave at 6:15, and then I would get to work around 10 if it's an hour long meeting.  There is a meeting at my YMCA on thursdays at 7 pm.  That would basically also mean pawning the kids off on DH again, and also getting home early.  I could put them in the Y day care for that (and then DH could get a run in, too) but then I have to definitely leave work early and scramble to get everyone fed first, and then also bed time would be rough since we wouldn't get home until 8:30 or so.  It's really frustrating.

I get that writing everything down is helpful -- I did that for lent, as I mentioned, and it showed me where all of the problems in my eating habits are.  I need it to be super easy or I won't do it, I know myself.  The phone apps, I am sure, would help.  I may just have to bite the bullet and do it. 
2010-04-28 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2822879

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
lmscozz - 2010-04-28 11:25 AM

elbi999 - 2010-04-28 8:37 AM Hi all!

OK another thumbs up for WW here.  I joined WW in 2006 and lost 47 lbs in less than 6 months.  I followed the program to a T-every point was counted every day and I never went over my allowance...I kept the weight off for about a year and a half and started to get lazy with keeping track of points.  Portions slowly got bigger and bigger again and I have put back on some of the weight (maybe half of it, not sure since I won't look at the scale).  I just started back on the program about 3 or 4 weeks ago and have lost about 6 lbs.  So like someone else said it works great IF you follow the program.  I was frustrated because I was getting slower in my races, not faster, because of the weight I put on.  I should be getting faster with experience.  So I made the promise to myself to lose the weight and get back on track.  

I had a great masters swim last night.  I was going to run today but it was very cold and my little one was tired so I bagged the run and am being lazy.  Someone needs to give me a kick in the rear to motivate me... anyone? 

This weekend there will be minimal training too- we are headed out of state for a communion on saturday, then from there we are driving to Hershey to surprise our daughter with a day at Hershey Park on Sunday.  

I need to get my bike off the trainer for a tune up and get out there and ride.  I am so in trouble since my biking has been non existent.  

Check in with you alll later.   Tonight I  will be enjoying A Night of Chocolate with my sister- a 3 1/2 hours class all about chocolate! YUMMY!!

Laura 

Kick, kick, kick....feel that one Laura?

I'm not sure I'd let myself loose in a chocolate workshop! Congrats on your previous weight loss, btw. Enjoy your trip to Hershey....hmmmm am I seeing a brown-colored pattern here? Ha!

OK I felt that! LOL  I fully admit to being a Chocoholic!!!LOL  I have not touched it since starting back on the WW program except for WW minibars and the chocolate in a luna bar or low fat pudding.  I can easily eat several chocolate bars if I wanted to though.  

Regarding writing everything down that you eat... It really is super easy.  You start to memorize the points values for the things you have on a daily basis and you can always get the book they put out each year that lists points values for many different foods by type and by brand if you don't want to have to calculate points yourself.  I think that WW is the most realistic of all weight loss plans.  My sister did nutisystem for a month 2 different times to "jumpstart" her weightloss" and the first time she put the weight right back on when she stopped eating their food.  She just finished a month of it again and is now counting calories which to me is more time consuming and a pain.  She counts it down to a forkful of broccoli.  
2010-04-28 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2821664

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
TriAya - 2010-04-28 3:13 AM Weight. ARGH! Weight! Kerry is right--it's hard. I have lost 120 lbs NET from my heaviest, but my guess is that I've actually lost a total of 200 lbs or so, between gaining it back and such.

This is exactly me!  Yes, exactly, because I also lost 120 pounds!  (That is actually why I wanted to be a part of this group - because I knew that Yanti would understand me!  Smile  Now I see that we all have a lot in common.)  I am still on the up and down journey, and sometimes fear that I will be for the rest of my life!  I gained about 15 pounds over the winter.  I have some headache issues, and literally did nothing for 2 months.  About a month and a half ago, I started a new med and have been feeling better and started to buckle down again.  I have been really watching what I eat and trying to work out like crazy.  There have been weeks that I thought for sure I had lost weight, but stepped on the scale to nothing.  It is so frustrating and disheartening!  But then I realized that even if the scale shows no change, my body has changed.  I tried on a pair of pants that had been tight and they fit!!!!  So check those things as well.  Even when we don't see changes in numbers, that doesn't mean things aren't changing!

I am going to get my bike back from the shop after work.  I hope it woun't cost a fortune!  I wanted to get it at lunch, but work got in the way and I didn't have time.  It is incredibly cold here today and looks like rain.  Even though I am getting my bike back, I think I will go for a run tonight because of the weather.  Tomorrow will be a good night for a ride because hubby won't be home after work and I can ride for as long as I want, plus it is supposed to be nicer.  I feel bad when I have a long work out after work and he doesn't get to eat dinner until 8.  He says it is okay, but I still feel bad making him wait so long.

Thanks to the inspiration from those of you doing bricks, I did a little one on Monday.  I had to bike at the gym, but then went outside for a one mile run.  OMG!  I forgot how that felt!  It took about 1/2 mile for me to even feel like my knees would bend!  I don't know if I looked as ridiculous as I felt, but I didn't think I was going to make it!  But I did manage to finish, and felt good for doing it afterwards!  So, thanks guys!!

Have a good evening!

Karen

2010-04-28 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Oh, I almost forgot.  Have a great time at Hershey Laura.  My husband had a seminar in the area a couple of months ago and I tagged along.  The park was not open, but I did hit up Chocolate World.  Took the little ride, got my free chocolate  Cool, and spent a fortune.  I had 2 huge bags of yummies to take home.  Now, I will say that it was not all for me, but I did get myself a few treats!!  Yes, my name is Karen and I am a chocoholic ...
2010-04-28 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2823640

User image

Master

gadgetlaw - 2010-04-28 2:26 PM Oh, I almost forgot.  Have a great time at Hershey Laura.  My husband had a seminar in the area a couple of months ago and I tagged along.  The park was not open, but I did hit up Chocolate World.  Took the little ride, got my free chocolate  Cool, and spent a fortune.  I had 2 huge bags of yummies to take home.  Now, I will say that it was not all for me, but I did get myself a few treats!!  Yes, my name is Karen and I am a chocoholic ...

*all together now*

"Hi Karen"

2010-04-28 3:29 PM

User image

Master

My name is Carla, and I too am a chocoholic.  I don't discriminate against other junk food though...I will eat it as well

I've been reading through the weightloss posts and have learned a ton.  I try to make a decision at each meal that will lower the calories I'm consuming.  Alot of times it is as simple as leaving off a condiment off of a sandwich, but I try to do something.

I really thought that this would be the year that I would lose more poundage.  Hasn't happened yet.  I was just sure that training for and running a marathon would have some effect on the scale...nope.  After that was said and done, it really drove home the fact that it all has to do with the calories I'm putting in.  I'm burning plenty, just gotta quit taking so many in!

2010-04-28 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2823823

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

I too like chocolate.  Yes, a guy can like/crave chocolate too ;-)
I have been trying to cut back and have been eating York peppermint patties and Skinny cows instead of "full-fat" candy bars or full-fat ice cream. 
I also started doing this which has helped my chocolate craving a lot and also cut back fat and calories.  I bought a bag of Ghiradelli chocolate chips.  I can eat a few of those and they cure my chocolate craving.  This has replaced eating an entire candy bar haha.  Just thought that I would pass this along!

2010-04-28 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2823874

User image

Master

blackledge - 2010-04-28 3:43 PM

I too like chocolate.  Yes, a guy can like/crave chocolate too ;-)
I have been trying to cut back and have been eating York peppermint patties and Skinny cows instead of "full-fat" candy bars or full-fat ice cream. 
I also started doing this which has helped my chocolate craving a lot and also cut back fat and calories.  I bought a bag of Ghiradelli chocolate chips.  I can eat a few of those and they cure my chocolate craving.  This has replaced eating an entire candy bar haha.  Just thought that I would pass this along!

My problem with the bag of chocolate chips is this...I would get a spoon full of peanut butter, then cover it with chocolate chips, then wash it down with a glass of milk.  I would probably repeat that a couple of times.  I can't buy them, or any other goodies for the house...I have no will power. 

Now I want chocolate.  I'm going for a bike ride...no food out on the trail to tempt me. 

2010-04-28 4:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
But if you eat a whole bag of York peppermint patties is it still low fat??? LOL  Because I could easily do  that!  And I love the skinny cow and WW ice creams!!  My favorite is the WW Giant chocolate Cookies and Cream bar.  Only 2 points!  and the fudge bars are only 1 pt and take forever to finish.  

I am sure we will do Hershey World.  We have  been to Hershey 2 or 3 times in the past and had a great time.

Laura

2010-04-28 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2823939

User image

Regular
crews - 2010-04-28 5:04 PM

My problem with the bag of chocolate chips is this...I would get a spoon full of peanut butter, then cover it with chocolate chips, then wash it down with a glass of milk.  I would probably repeat that a couple of times.  I can't buy them, or any other goodies for the house...I have no will power. 

Now I want chocolate.  I'm going for a bike ride...no food out on the trail to tempt me. 

I could've written that post.  If it's here, I'll eat it.

Pizza - a holic
2010-04-28 4:28 PM
in reply to: #2823960

User image

Master
Vista, CA

CHOCOLATE !!! I may be a WW peep, but I love me some chocolate...usually I'm with Ryan -- a few semi-sweet choc chips  each savored one at a time and let them melt in the mouth. 11 chips, 1 point.

Doesn't this look yummy?

And, then this info about the link between chocolate and depression. Follow the link:

http://news.health.com/2010/04/26/chocolate-mood/?xid=hts100422&utm_source=health&utm_medium=email&utm_content=body-link-2&utm_campaign=hts100422-html&PromKey=XET

Edited by lmscozz 2010-04-28 4:30 PM
2010-04-28 4:42 PM
in reply to: #2823998

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Thanks Lynn.  I feel fatter just for looking at that photo...yum!
2010-04-28 9:34 PM
in reply to: #2823984

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
kerryd - 2010-04-28 4:19 PM

Pizza - a holic

Amateurs!  I would have smeared that whole mess on a bunch of saltine or ritz crackers and THEN washed it down with milk.  MMM 

2010-04-28 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2824492

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
quincyf - 2010-04-28 10:34 PM
kerryd - 2010-04-28 4:19 PM

Pizza - a holic

Amateurs!  I would have smeared that whole mess on a bunch of saltine or ritz crackers and THEN washed it down with milk.  MMM 

No no no no!  You put the chips and peanut butter and a splash of milk or cream in the microwave for 30 seconds, then stir.  Then you dip a banana in it and call it healthy.

Really, there's no wonder why I am overweight. 
2010-04-29 8:11 AM

User image

Regular
This is what I call food porn.

Ack!!

In health news, I messed up my right shoulder.  I think it's a combination of bad sleeping position and 'conference call/mouse utilization' shoulder.  It's not killing me, but it's very uncomfortable.  I am slated to ride and strength train today, you think I will be okay as long as I warm up a LOT?
2010-04-29 8:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Seriously back to WW/food recording for a moment:  The problem I always have is that I don't cook with recipes, really.  I mean, I sometimes do, but I also do a lot of cooking without measuring, etc.  It's those kinds of meals I always have trouble logging. Like, I made a quiche for dinner one night this week, without a recipe.  So how in the world do I track that?  Do I need to tediously enter every ingredient to figure out what it's worth?  Or are there points estimates that are close enough? 

Kerry, hope your shoulder is OK.  I am sure for riding you will be fine.  For lifting -- just listen to your body.  Yeah, that's singularly unhelpful.
2010-04-29 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2825000

User image

Regular
dinabean - 2010-04-29 9:24 AM Seriously back to WW/food recording for a moment:  The problem I always have is that I don't cook with recipes, really.  I mean, I sometimes do, but I also do a lot of cooking without measuring, etc.  It's those kinds of meals I always have trouble logging. Like, I made a quiche for dinner one night this week, without a recipe.  So how in the world do I track that?  Do I need to tediously enter every ingredient to figure out what it's worth?  Or are there points estimates that are close enough? 

Kerry, hope your shoulder is OK.  I am sure for riding you will be fine.  For lifting -- just listen to your body.  Yeah, that's singularly unhelpful.

Initially, yeah, you input all the ingredients into the recipe builder to figure out the points.  What I do (when I am on-plan) is do a meal plan on sunday night.  Build my recipes in the recipe builder (or use on from their recipe pool) and pre-determine my points.  At first it is totally tedious, but it gets easier.  Eventually, you will know what things are worth on site.
2010-04-29 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
dinabean - 2010-04-29 8:24 AM Seriously back to WW/food recording for a moment:  The problem I always have is that I don't cook with recipes, really.  I mean, I sometimes do, but I also do a lot of cooking without measuring, etc.  It's those kinds of meals I always have trouble logging. Like, I made a quiche for dinner one night this week, without a recipe.  So how in the world do I track that?  Do I need to tediously enter every ingredient to figure out what it's worth?  Or are there points estimates that are close enough? 

In the book that they have with points values for different foods I am sure that you would find a "quiche" category.  It may list different kinds.  You do your best to estimate the points value based on what it says in the book (if you didn't use a recipe) and you adjust accordingly.  for example if it only lists a broccoli quiche and you added ham to yours you would look up the points value for ham and estimate the amount in each serving and tack that on to the points value you determined for the quiche.  It really sounds more complicated than it is.  The biggest thing that I found with WW is portion control.  I realized that the portions I was eating were actually 2-3 times what an actual portion was supposed to be!  
I am hoping to get in a run when daughter has soccer practice today (with baby in the jogging stroller), but also planning on swimming on my own  this evening and don't want to be beat for that.  So I have to decide- short, slow run maybe?

L
aura

2010-04-29 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2824952

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
kerryd - 2010-04-29 8:11 AM This is what I call food porn.

Ack!!

In health news, I messed up my right shoulder.  I think it's a combination of bad sleeping position and 'conference call/mouse utilization' shoulder.  It's not killing me, but it's very uncomfortable.  I am slated to ride and strength train today, you think I will be okay as long as I warm up a LOT?

Kerry- I would see how your shoulder is feeling.  You should be OK to ride but you might not be comfortable in aero(don't know if you ride aero) depending on how severe the pain is.  Strength training you may want to avoid shoulders today.  Give it a days rest and ice if necessary.  See how it feels in a couple days.  One missed day of lifting is not going to break you.  Feel better!  

2010-04-29 8:49 AM

User image

Master

Good morning Manatees.

Hope the day treats you well.

2010-04-29 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2825060

User image

Master
Vista, CA

elbi999 - 2010-04-29 6:44 AM
kerryd - 2010-04-29 8:11 AM This is what I call food porn.

Ack!!

Kerry- I would see how your shoulder is feeling.  You should be OK to ride but you might not be comfortable in aero(don't know if you ride aero) depending on how severe the pain is.  Strength training you may want to avoid shoulders today.  Give it a days rest and ice if necessary.  See how it feels in a couple days.  One missed day of lifting is not going to break you.  Feel better!  

I agree with the taking a day off of lifting. Ask yourself, what would one day of lifting with a sore shoulder accomplish? Is it going to move me toward my fitness and training goals or away from them? And, one or two days won't disrupt it. Are there other activities you can do or modify (safely) your routine. I've had a couple of tears in rotator cuff and have had inflammation on and off -- ice, ice, ice has worked for me. Hopefully, it's just a passing thing and nothing major. I would also try some gentle stretching as your discomfort allows, but be careful.

2010-04-29 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

dinabean - 2010-04-29 6:24 AM Seriously back to WW/food recording for a moment:  The problem I always have is that I don't cook with recipes, really.  I mean, I sometimes do, but I also do a lot of cooking without measuring, etc.  It's those kinds of meals I always have trouble logging. Like, I made a quiche for dinner one night this week, without a recipe.  So how in the world do I track that?  Do I need to tediously enter every ingredient to figure out what it's worth?  Or are there points estimates that are close enough? 

Yea, Dineen  you can use the recipe builder or just add the ham to the quiche listing online or in the books. Just so you know, the points values listed in the books and online for a specific dish like a quiche or lasagne, etc. is derived from taking three common recipes and averaging the points value.

The thing I'd most be impressed with is that you are actually paying attention and counting any points, vs. just blowing it all off! As you start to pay attention to things like points or calories in quiche and whether it had ham or not, you'll start to see those small changes. It really is about all the small changes adding up...and making it a lifestyle so if you have an "oh-no" moment it's not a big deal, because this is for a lifetime and in the grand scheme one mishap or splurge every so often isn't a deal breaker. Sorry, got on my WW roll. Ooops..I'll shut up.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60