BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-30 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!

I could chnage a tube but not a tirel I carry extra tubes, Co2, levers etc., Road ID, 4 bottles on long rides (Houston 90ish degrees), Chomps and/or Fig Newtons and cell phone.

I have had 2 flats - the first one was on my second ride and it was after I hit a curb and went over the bars, flatted the front tire. A guy (found out later a BTer) stopped in his truck to hand me a tube but I had already called a friend I knew was in the area, I was a bit shaken after the wreck.

The 2nd flat was on a 20 or so mile ride in the evening, HUGE gash in the back tire to I called my husband, he came out swapped my back tire with the bike tire from his bike and off I went. I've been very lucky. I have changed a flat in my garage and feel I could do it but not with a huge gash in the actual tire.

2011-04-30 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3474709

User image

Expert
Canada

kenj - 2011-04-30 12:27 PM 
The only thing I add to that is a disposable latex glove or two.  Because no matter how easy Ice makes it sound, I still always wind up with grease on my hands.  Pull the glove off inside out and stick in the pocket and no grease on the hands!

I, as well, as not that accomplished.  If the rear tube needs changing, my hands will be messy.

Like the glove idea though.  Might adopt that one...Thanks!!

2011-04-30 6:59 PM

User image

Regular
Connecticut
WHOO HOO!!  I did about SIX miles jogging today in the middle of menonite country.  GLORIOUS weather!
2011-04-30 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Ok I gotta tell you after the conversation here and also some posts I've seen on different blogs I decided it was time to try my hand att the back wheel. I've been lucky enough to never have a flat when I was out riding. I have had some flats but always fixed before left my garage and never the back. So today I headed to the garage to clean my chain and mess with the tire. I've been very nervous of taking it off and messing with the chain...wish I had read the tip about the gloves first. My hands have never been so black. Now there was nothing speedy about this and I didn't actually change the tire, just take it off and put it back. Just enough to get an idea of what to do. I'm going to do some more practices on this because if I ever get a flat in a race...well let's just say I might as well give it up. The thing I've not used at all and don't have is CO2...I've got a pump and I guess I will need to invest in the CO2.

Great question on the must have's for a ride...I usually carry, phone, water, camera (hey I blog. ) one tube, levers, ID, money, chomps/jelly beans or other nutrition if its a long ride. I think that's it sometimes I feel like I carry everything but the kitchen sink.

Looking forward to race reports!

Edited by julta 2011-04-30 8:32 PM
2011-04-30 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Seriously.  It is easy.  Open the rear brake.  Shift all the way down to the smallest cog.  Release the squweer.  (how do you spell that damn word.)  Then simply lift the bike by the seat with the left hand, take the wheel by the right and push down. The wheel will pop out.  Set the bike down with the derailleurs up.  Change the tube.  and reverse the process.  You never have to touch the chain. The rubber glove idea is a good one.   People who go on long rides with only one tube and one CO2 cartridge, I mention C. Wellington's famous 15 min's spent on the roadside at Kona after she used her only CO2 and it didn't inflate.  She waited until one of her competitors tossed her a spare tube.  She still wound up winning ,but hey...I take spares.  When it rains, make sure to stop once in a while and use your hand to wipe again the pea gravel on the wheel or you will have a flat. (Pros do that without stopping.
2011-05-01 4:27 AM
in reply to: #3475313

User image

Expert
Canada

julta - 2011-04-30 10:30 PM Ok The thing I've not used at all and don't have is CO2...I've got a pump and I guess I will need to invest in the CO2. Great question on the must have's for a ride...I usually carry, phone, water, camera (hey I blog. ) one tube, levers, ID, money, chomps/jelly beans or other nutrition if its a long ride. I think that's it sometimes I feel like I carry everything but the kitchen sink. Looking forward to race reports!

I'm "old fashioned" & carry a pump as well.  It straps to the top tube of the bike.  Works well & never out of gas.

2011-05-01 7:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Scott I'll keep practicing! I don't know if I'll ever get good enough to not get greasy but at least now I'm not totally scared of it!
2011-05-01 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Canada
Hope everyone is having a good Sunday.

Just back from my long run...13ish miles.

Feeling fitter!

2011-05-01 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3475785

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
GoGoGo - 2011-05-01 11:01 AM Hope everyone is having a good Sunday.

Just back from my long run...13ish miles.

Feeling fitter!

Nice run!!

Feeling fitter is a good feeling!

2011-05-01 11:48 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Back from my race! 1:49:41 off my watch, pretty close to official time if I remember correctly.  PR'd the course, not the distance.  Should have done a little better job early in the race with the infinit as I struggled with a little calf cramping the back half. 

Thanks again for all the well wishes!

Hows everyone's Sunday going?
2011-05-01 12:21 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Well done Ken!!

Quite a result, particularly for so early in the season.

2011-05-01 1:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Had great weather today...did 65 miles on the bike. 20 average 2200 feet of climbs..going to ice these quads they are barking right now..hope everyone has a great Sunday..
2011-05-01 2:02 PM

User image

Regular
Maryland

I walk/jogged today for 5.5 miles around the neighborhood.  Tried the slow and easy method and it actually was sustainable for quite a stretch.  Didn't have an odometer on me, so I'm not sure of the distances that I actually ran, but I was able to run for several stretches throughout the walk.

At first, I tried to run too fast and I hated it.  Then I remembered to go at conversational pace, and I almost enjoyed it.

BTW, I purchased a road bike!!!

After looking far and wide, I finally found a place that would accept my hybrid for a trade in.  They also had a 2010, which saved a little.  I tried 3 different bike shops and this one had the best service.  I test rode a number of different bikes and this one fit the best.

In the end, I got a Trek 1.2 WSD.  Aluminum frame with carbon fork.  Still trying to get used to the clips.  I fell twice yesterday trying to get my feet out.  Haven't mastered that part yet, but I'm loving the ride - what a difference! 

2011-05-01 3:09 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Vivian, congratulations on getting a great bike!!

What type of clips does it come with? Some can be adjusted to make it easier to withdraw.

The main thing to get used to is to try to prepare to remove your foot early, anticipate what's coming, and when in doubt remove a foot just in case.

2011-05-01 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3475870

User image

Expert
Canada

kenj - 2011-05-01 1:48 PM Back from my race! 1:49:41 off my watch, pretty close to official time if I remember correctly.  PR'd the course, not the distance.  Should have done a little better job early in the race with the infinit as I struggled with a little calf cramping the back half. 

Thanks again for all the well wishes!

Nice Time, Ken!

Congrats!

2011-05-01 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3475991

User image

Expert
Canada
Viyoung - 2011-05-01 4:02 PM

After looking far and wide, I finally found a place that would accept my hybrid for a trade in.  They also had a 2010, which saved a little.  I tried 3 different bike shops and this one had the best service.  I test rode a number of different bikes and this one fit the best.

In the end, I got a Trek 1.2 WSD.  Aluminum frame with carbon fork.  Still trying to get used to the clips.  I fell twice yesterday trying to get my feet out.  Haven't mastered that part yet, but I'm loving the ride - what a difference! 

Cool, you will be a speed demon, now!!!

Post up a pic of your new acquisition!!

2011-05-01 5:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Great job on the race Ken!!!! You speed demon! Wow!

Yea Viv how exciting for you! You will get used to the new pedals soon! And great job on the run/walk.

I had a 40 mile ride today...felt good but I'm a little nervous about the metric century that is coming up in 2 weeks. I hope I can make it!
2011-05-01 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3476285

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Viv

Hope you enjoy your new ride..

2011-05-01 10:49 PM

User image

Great Job Ken! Nice start to the season.

Congratulations on the new bike Vivian, it's always great to ride a bike that feels fast.

I need to get work practicing changing a flat on the back tire.  I'm comfortable with the front, but never wanted to practice on the back, except once when I had to, luckily in my garage. 

I had a 5.5 mile run, or "a leisurely stroll" according to my dog, this morning and 1700 yards in the pool this evening.

2011-05-01 11:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Great run Ken.

Vivian that is a nice bike.  If your clips are too tight, they can be adjusted.  Ask at the bike shop.

2011-05-02 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3475991

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2011-05-01 3:02 PM

I walk/jogged today for 5.5 miles around the neighborhood.  Tried the slow and easy method and it actually was sustainable for quite a stretch.  Didn't have an odometer on me, so I'm not sure of the distances that I actually ran, but I was able to run for several stretches throughout the walk.

At first, I tried to run too fast and I hated it.  Then I remembered to go at conversational pace, and I almost enjoyed it.

That is a very popular bike and for good reason.  I hoep you have many happy miles together.  It is nice too that you found a bike shop that you are happy and comfortable with.  Makes things a lot easier when you have questions/issues.

As far as getting used to the clipless pedals, get some practice in an empty parking lot or even sitting still against a wall.  I would agree with the advice of making sure it is adjusted right too.

Glad you had a good run too!

2011-05-02 9:40 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Thanks for the nice comments on my race yesterday gang! 

Just a swim for me today!  Anyone else training?
2011-05-02 10:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

I was reading Vivian’s post about un-clipping her shoes on her new bike and I thought I’d pass on a little tip that I practice every bike ride.

I’m not the fastest tri-athlete but I do usually nail my transitions. Now that it’s a little warmer out and if the driveway is dry I practice my transitions on to and off of the bike every ride.

In transition I leave my bike shoes clipped on my bike. This works really well for sprints where time is so critical. In T1 I take my wetsuit off as quickly as possibly grab my bike and run to the mount line. I then ride for a ¼ mile w/ my feet on top of the shoes. I then reach down and insert my feet into the shoe and close the Velcro strap. I use shimano tri shoes they have one big velcro strap and it works really well for this technique. To keep the pedals from flopping around I secure them with rubber bands, the band just breaks free on my first downward peddle stroke.

Coming off the bike I do it in reverse. I take my feet out of the shoe and ride on top of the shoe for the last 1/8th of a mile. It’s much easier for me to run barefoot then to run with my bike shoes on during transition. It’s really not that hard and can save a lot of time.

2011-05-02 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3477530

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
acv - 2011-05-02 10:36 AM

I was reading Vivian’s post about un-clipping her shoes on her new bike and I thought I’d pass on a little tip that I practice every bike ride.

I’m not the fastest tri-athlete but I do usually nail my transitions. Now that it’s a little warmer out and if the driveway is dry I practice my transitions on to and off of the bike every ride.

In transition I leave my bike shoes clipped on my bike. This works really well for sprints where time is so critical. In T1 I take my wetsuit off as quickly as possibly grab my bike and run to the mount line. I then ride for a ¼ mile w/ my feet on top of the shoes. I then reach down and insert my feet into the shoe and close the Velcro strap. I use shimano tri shoes they have one big velcro strap and it works really well for this technique. To keep the pedals from flopping around I secure them with rubber bands, the band just breaks free on my first downward peddle stroke.

Coming off the bike I do it in reverse. I take my feet out of the shoe and ride on top of the shoe for the last 1/8th of a mile. It’s much easier for me to run barefoot then to run with my bike shoes on during transition. It’s really not that hard and can save a lot of time.

Ordered tri cycling shoes.  Will practice this.  Thanks.

2011-05-02 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3477530

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-05-02 11:36 AM

Good advice, and another time management solution so you aren't spending time just practicing transitions!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72