BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-05-17 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3504001

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

Rob,

Wow! Fantastic! You and your family together and you all finished it! Your times were awesome in my opinion. Kudos to your Dad! Wow!

Edited by djb45 2011-05-17 3:31 PM

2011-05-18 6:39 AM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

Where is everyone?  Hopefully training hard.

I have 3 days, 16 hours and 24 minutes until my race.  The right side of my body, from my lower back to my knee, is so tight.  My hip down to the outside of my knee feel like they are on fire.  I'm not sure what to do.  I rested yesterday. I'm was planning on  swimming and doing an easy spin today.  I don't want to aggravate anything, but I feel like I need to stretch out some.  Does anyone have any advice? 

Christy

2011-05-18 6:59 AM
in reply to: #3504001

User image

Master
Baltimore
[email protected] - 2011-05-17 12:24 PM

Hey all : )

Disney Half Ironman, I did it!!!!!!!

Day before (Saturday): Thunderstorms with 50 mph winds, just praying they don't cancel the race, and hoping my new bike is not getting too wet.....

Pre Race (Sunday Morning): Wake up at 4am, feel well rested ready to go, have twin brother and dad doing race with me, brother has done Disney Half Ironman 3 times before and dad and I are Half Virgins.  It's still raining and lightening, race was delayed.  Dad's wave starts before ours.  Dad is only 70 years old.  Seeing him getting into water is a moving experience. 

Race Start: Jump into lake, and its full of weeds, I stay to outside to avoid being kick, off to a good start.  But end up spending more time with boats instead of buoys.  I zig-zaged the swim course, googles fogged up, got kicked in the stomach, fun stuff.  I think I drank more water than I swam in.  Swim was slower than I expected or hoped for, probably because I was all over the course.  Time was 42 minutes for 1.2 mile swim. My brother was 4 minutes ahead of me and dad was 1 hour and 6 minutes for the swim.

Transition 1: Because it was raining in morning we did not lay out any of our stuff.  Mine was all clumped together in a garbage bag, thats probably why it took me 5+ minutes to transition.  I was frantically searching for my stuff and in my rush for things I forgot my sunglasses and gloves.

Bike: I had a great bike ride!  Can't believe how good I felt.  I passed a lot of people throughout the whole bike portion.  Was a hilly ride, and strong headwind.  My average was 21 and I was comfortable all the way.  My brother was pulled off to the side of the road with a sore back.  I was shocked to see him, he is a HECK of alot faster then me and has completed 3 full Ironmans.  Lack of training and bad seat position on bike did not help his cause.  We traded spots for the remainder of the ride.  He finished just ahead of me.  The bike portion flew by, my time was 2:40 for 56 miles.  My dad was 3:20.

Transition 2: Got biked racked and headed out seemed quick, but my brother was in and out quick, put me to shame. 

Run: Starting run felt good but got tired on 2nd mile and that feeling stayed with me for a couple miles.  I ran most of the way and walked the water stops.  The miles seemed to fad away, my time was 2:08! I did not expect to be that fast.  My brother and I ran together for most of the way which made it go by quick, he and I were close the whole way.  At around 10 miles I felt good and ran ahead.  I saw my dad for the first time since the swim start at mile 12, he was at miles four and looked good, he inspired me to finish.  My last few miles were trying to survive, I kept on thinking, got to beat your brother, can't let him catch you.  We are very comptetive. The only way I can beat him is for him to have a bad race.

Finish: Most awesome feeling! I can't explain it.  A rush of emotions.  During the race I felt tired, but not as tired as I did when I stopped!  I was exhausted.  But the satisfaction of finishing a goal is better than the tired feeling you have.  My time was 5:41:00 my brother was just a few minutes behind (I have bragging rights till next race!).  My dad finished in 8 hours 13 minutes not bad for a 70 year old.  We did it!

Reflecting: Let me say that competing in this race with my brother and dad was awesome.  I am grateful for the training programs on BT, it prepared me for my race.  I felt good all the way through. 

HECK YA I AM GOING TO START TRAINING FOR A FULL IRONMAN IN OCTOBER!  But I will take a few weeks off and enjoy some R & R.

Rob Avola

BIBAGESTATE/COUNTRYPROFESSION
64745Naples FL USATeacher

SWIMBIKERUNOVERALLRANKDIV.POS.
42:322:40:292:08:205:41:0062384

LEGDISTANCEPACERANKDIV.POS.
TOTAL SWIM1.2 mi. (42:32)2:14/100m80279

TOTAL BIKE56 mi. (2:40:29)20.94 mph56373

RUN SPLIT 1: 3.5 mi3.5 mi (32:49)9:22/mi
RUN SPLIT 2: 7.75 mi4.25 mi (41:44)9:49/mi
RUN SPLIT 3: 12.25 mi4.5 mi (45:51)10:11/mi
RUN SPLIT 4: 13.1 mi0.85 mi (7:56)9:20/mi
TOTAL RUN13.1 mi (2:08:20)9:47/mi62384

TRANSITIONTIME
T1: SWIM-TO-BIKE5:48
T2: BIKE-TO-RUN3:51

Great Race Rob!  The end of it sounds like the end of my first last year.  I'm glad you have bragging rights on your brother until next time.  Just make sure to back up any smack talk with training

ETA: oh, and enjoy your well deserved break.

Edited by jsiegs 2011-05-18 6:59 AM
2011-05-18 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3505397

User image

Master
South Alabama
cbrookhart - 2011-05-18 6:39 AM

I have 3 days, 16 hours and 24 minutes until my race.  The right side of my body, from my lower back to my knee, is so tight.  My hip down to the outside of my knee feel like they are on fire.  I'm not sure what to do.  I rested yesterday. I'm was planning on  swimming and doing an easy spin today.  I don't want to aggravate anything, but I feel like I need to stretch out some.  Does anyone have any advice? 

Christy

Christy-thats a tough call.  I would give the easy swimming/biking a shot and see how that feels.  Some easy stretching or if you have a foam roller that may help.  If you don't use a foam roller then I would wait until after the race to start-there is some initial soreness as you get acclimated.  Maybe a massage?   I am a big believer in Active Release Technique (ART).  Often helps me when I am dealing with nagging problems.  Most importantly, dont aggravate it.  With anything you try be gentle and take it easy.

Randy 
2011-05-18 7:54 AM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX

Christy, I know I am a lightweight compared to you guys, but wanted to put my two cents in on your tightness. My right side, knee, leg gets tight, too. I find that if I lay off a day, I can gently ease back into training. It will still be tight but eventually works itself out.

I think my form/technique causes the problems. I am really trying hard to run correctly per a natural/chi running form and it has helped tremendously! Also, on bike, I concentrate on lifting my leg as opposed to pushing to ease that stress.

Good luck! I'm rooting for my new "hero"!

2011-05-18 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3505472

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
slornow - 2011-05-18 7:42 AM

Christy

Christy-thats a tough call.  I would give the easy swimming/biking a shot and see how that feels.  Some easy stretching or if you have a foam roller that may help.  If you don't use a foam roller then I would wait until after the race to start-there is some initial soreness as you get acclimated.  Maybe a massage?   I am a big believer in Active Release Technique (ART).  Often helps me when I am dealing with nagging problems.  Most importantly, dont aggravate it.  With anything you try be gentle and take it easy.

Randy 

Thanks Randy.  Do you think the foam roller would aggravate it?  I kind of thought it would.  I've used it a few times in the past few months.  Not as often as I should! I got a massage Monday.  It was a deep tissue massage.  I'm thinking that aggravated it some. 

Thanks Deb! 

2011-05-18 9:09 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Christy-the massage may be the cause of some soreness.  I have never had one but I hear they can leave you sore for a day or two.  Maybe some active recovery swim/bike will flush out some of the problems.. .. hope so

Randy
2011-05-18 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3504342

User image

Veteran
Naples

slornow - 2011-05-17 2:39 PM Rob-great race and race report!  Which Ironman are you going to do?

Randy

Randy, thanks, going to do the Great Floridian in Clearmont, it's not an Ironman race but is same distance.  The Ironman's that I wanted to do this year were all full, and I want to do one this year.  I have the base, need to continue on.  I'm not getting any younger.

2011-05-18 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3504620

User image

Veteran
Naples
djb45 - 2011-05-17 4:28 PM

Rob,

Wow! Fantastic! You and your family together and you all finished it! Your times were awesome in my opinion. Kudos to your Dad! Wow!

Deb, thanks a bunch, really excited about finishing the race.  What a rush

2011-05-18 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3505415

User image

Veteran
Naples
jsiegs - 2011-05-18 7:59 AM
[email protected] - 2011-05-17 12:24 PM

Hey all : )

Disney Half Ironman, I did it!!!!!!!

Day before (Saturday): Thunderstorms with 50 mph winds, just praying they don't cancel the race, and hoping my new bike is not getting too wet.....

Pre Race (Sunday Morning): Wake up at 4am, feel well rested ready to go, have twin brother and dad doing race with me, brother has done Disney Half Ironman 3 times before and dad and I are Half Virgins.  It's still raining and lightening, race was delayed.  Dad's wave starts before ours.  Dad is only 70 years old.  Seeing him getting into water is a moving experience. 

Race Start: Jump into lake, and its full of weeds, I stay to outside to avoid being kick, off to a good start.  But end up spending more time with boats instead of buoys.  I zig-zaged the swim course, googles fogged up, got kicked in the stomach, fun stuff.  I think I drank more water than I swam in.  Swim was slower than I expected or hoped for, probably because I was all over the course.  Time was 42 minutes for 1.2 mile swim. My brother was 4 minutes ahead of me and dad was 1 hour and 6 minutes for the swim.

Transition 1: Because it was raining in morning we did not lay out any of our stuff.  Mine was all clumped together in a garbage bag, thats probably why it took me 5+ minutes to transition.  I was frantically searching for my stuff and in my rush for things I forgot my sunglasses and gloves.

Bike: I had a great bike ride!  Can't believe how good I felt.  I passed a lot of people throughout the whole bike portion.  Was a hilly ride, and strong headwind.  My average was 21 and I was comfortable all the way.  My brother was pulled off to the side of the road with a sore back.  I was shocked to see him, he is a HECK of alot faster then me and has completed 3 full Ironmans.  Lack of training and bad seat position on bike did not help his cause.  We traded spots for the remainder of the ride.  He finished just ahead of me.  The bike portion flew by, my time was 2:40 for 56 miles.  My dad was 3:20.

Transition 2: Got biked racked and headed out seemed quick, but my brother was in and out quick, put me to shame. 

Run: Starting run felt good but got tired on 2nd mile and that feeling stayed with me for a couple miles.  I ran most of the way and walked the water stops.  The miles seemed to fad away, my time was 2:08! I did not expect to be that fast.  My brother and I ran together for most of the way which made it go by quick, he and I were close the whole way.  At around 10 miles I felt good and ran ahead.  I saw my dad for the first time since the swim start at mile 12, he was at miles four and looked good, he inspired me to finish.  My last few miles were trying to survive, I kept on thinking, got to beat your brother, can't let him catch you.  We are very comptetive. The only way I can beat him is for him to have a bad race.

Finish: Most awesome feeling! I can't explain it.  A rush of emotions.  During the race I felt tired, but not as tired as I did when I stopped!  I was exhausted.  But the satisfaction of finishing a goal is better than the tired feeling you have.  My time was 5:41:00 my brother was just a few minutes behind (I have bragging rights till next race!).  My dad finished in 8 hours 13 minutes not bad for a 70 year old.  We did it!

Reflecting: Let me say that competing in this race with my brother and dad was awesome.  I am grateful for the training programs on BT, it prepared me for my race.  I felt good all the way through. 

HECK YA I AM GOING TO START TRAINING FOR A FULL IRONMAN IN OCTOBER!  But I will take a few weeks off and enjoy some R & R.

Rob Avola

BIBAGESTATE/COUNTRYPROFESSION
64745Naples FL USATeacher

SWIMBIKERUNOVERALLRANKDIV.POS.
42:322:40:292:08:205:41:0062384

LEGDISTANCEPACERANKDIV.POS.
TOTAL SWIM1.2 mi. (42:32)2:14/100m80279

TOTAL BIKE56 mi. (2:40:29)20.94 mph56373

RUN SPLIT 1: 3.5 mi3.5 mi (32:49)9:22/mi
RUN SPLIT 2: 7.75 mi4.25 mi (41:44)9:49/mi
RUN SPLIT 3: 12.25 mi4.5 mi (45:51)10:11/mi
RUN SPLIT 4: 13.1 mi0.85 mi (7:56)9:20/mi
TOTAL RUN13.1 mi (2:08:20)9:47/mi62384

TRANSITIONTIME
T1: SWIM-TO-BIKE5:48
T2: BIKE-TO-RUN3:51

Great Race Rob!  The end of it sounds like the end of my first last year.  I'm glad you have bragging rights on your brother until next time.  Just make sure to back up any smack talk with training

ETA: oh, and enjoy your well deserved break.

Joe, thanks!  I will have bragging rights until June 5th.  My brother, dad and I are registered for a sprint tri  (Run 5K, Bike 9 miles, Swim .25 miles, it is run backwards don't as me why).  Should be interesting to see how I do.  Goal is to break one hour and of course come in ahead of my brother. don't think that will happen, but its worth a shot. 

thanks for the encouragement

2011-05-18 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3505711

User image

Master
South Alabama
[email protected] - 2011-05-18 9:13 AM

slornow - 2011-05-17 2:39 PM Rob-great race and race report!  Which Ironman are you going to do?

Randy

Randy, thanks, going to do the Great Floridian in Clearmont, it's not an Ironman race but is same distance.  The Ironman's that I wanted to do this year were all full, and I want to do one this year.  I have the base, need to continue on.  I'm not getting any younger.

Rob-should have asked ..What Ironman distance race are you doing?  If you can do the 140.6 you are an "Ironman" in my book regardless of the race label!  Looking forward to following your journey.

Randy

2011-05-18 12:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Christy

Christy, I'm no doc, but I have been dealing with IT Band issues since August. Two weeks before a big race, I couldn't bend my knee without pain. I ended up doing the 10-miler but after a trip to the ortho doc he diagnosed me with IT Band problems and sent me to PT. Your Iliotibial Band runs from the outside of your hip into and all around your knee. Mine was so tight that it was causing internal swelling (showed up on an MRI) and pulling my kneecap off track. 

I would take it easy this week. Take anti-inflammatories (Alleve is probably best), and ice your knee on and off during the day if you can. When you're ready to work out, stretch like mad and foam roll: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9aJtO0VCqw. Try pigeon pose, this one http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/qt/ITBand-Stretch.htm, stretch your hip flexors, etc. If you PM me your email address, I can send you my stretches from PT as a PDF. My hips contribute to this problem (as they do for a lot of women) so I need to foam roll my pirformis as well. 

Foam rolling is super important. It will hurt like hell when you first do it. I need to foam roll both before and after I run RELIGIOUSLY or else I tighten up and have pain. 

Finally, I know some people who are big fans of ART, but Graston's Therapy really helped me.http://www.grastontechnique.com/ My PT took a class while I was under his care and got certified - it was very helpful for me. 

If you don't have time to see a doc or PT about your IT Band this week, try a yoga class focused on legs. It can really help target those muscles and tissues deep in the hips and legs that might be holding tension.

IT band and my hips/glutes/knees are my never-ending issue. Good luck to you and I hope a simple yoga-foam roll-anti inflamm combo does the trick for you!

2011-05-18 12:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
deleting double post!

Edited by nmladic 2011-05-18 12:22 PM
2011-05-18 12:24 PM
in reply to: #3505503

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
djb45 - 2011-05-18 7:54 AM

I think my form/technique causes the problems. I am really trying hard to run correctly per a natural/chi running form and it has helped tremendously! Also, on bike, I concentrate on lifting my leg as opposed to pushing to ease that stress.

I second this. I transitioned to a more Chi-running style and it has definitely helped with my IT band stuff. Think I need to take a class to get it right, though.

2011-05-18 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Christy - I'm no expert on injuries, and so far I don't have any history to give you a story on... (unless you want my back story!) but I have to agree... rest up and ice ice ice. I hope it gets better by race day

I'm finally out of my funk (I hope!) I took the weekend off from the world and while I was hoping to get back to spin class yesterday, we had a Dr appt right in the middle of class. Bummer.

I did a 3.1 jog this morning, I felt super tired and I was having a hard time getting in to it. As soon as I got my groove, my daughter started crying and wouldn't stop! Go figure! Oh well, I did what I could. I also went to the gym and did some weights. I'm thinking about starting some two-a-days, at least for now while I can. Maybe just 3 days a week right now. I don't want to burn out in a few weeks!

Hope everyone is doing well!

2011-05-18 5:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I went out and got more ice packs today.  I didn't have enough to ice all the parts that hurt Frown.  Getting old is lame!  I'm going to, stretch, ice, rest and hope for the best. 

2011-05-18 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore

I can't help much with the injury/tightness, just to say rest and ice are probably your friend

With running, it's such a destructive activity for your body, it is very easy to do it too hard, too much or too fast, which is an injury waiting to happen.  I'd suggest when you can, try to spread your volume out over more runs  (so each run is shorter, but you run the same miles overall) and keep it VERY easy while building volume.  Once your body can handle the beating, you can reduce the number of runs and/or ad in some harder stuff.  I did this with tremendous results last fall.  It was like night and day for me, and I honestly think 95% of people could solve their running injuries by using that advice (which I got here on BT and know others who swear by it too), especially if you're low volume, or relatively new.

I used the following plan with my fiancee with great success.  She tore her ACL in high school and had never been able to run more than half a mile without a lot of pain.  It's a 3-2-1 plan, and 6 runs per week.  Pick a base time/distance, something that is too easy, like 10 min (or half a mile, or w/e).  Do 3 runs of 10 min, 2 runs of 20 min, and 1 run of 30 min per week.  Then build slowly from there (10% per week max).   it takes commitment, but it will be the BEST thing you can ever do for your run and running injuries.  The other key is you MUST keep it easy...too easy.  HR in in Z1 or Z2 max.  That's how you can build volume and train your body to handle the pounding.  Using it, my fiancee was able to get up to 4-5 mile runs where before she couldn't run half a mile without a lot of pain (and she did it faster).  It's long, slow and tedious, but it will solve 9 out of 10 runner's injuries (and save a ton at the doc's office and PT).  No, it's not the answer for everyone, but it is for most.

Sorry, I'm a little preachy about the running...but I've seen how well it works (even for seasoned veterans) and watched literally every new runner I know who starts too fast, too long and too infrequently get hurt at some point.

How do you guys feel about it?  what's your running background and injury history look like?  Do you buy it?  Am I just a bag of hot air?

2011-05-18 6:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I am from the "run as fast as you can for as long as you can" camp.  You can see where it has got me.  I've had 2 knee surgeries and I'm often hurt.  I never feel like I have the time to do what you suggest.  Even though everything I read says slower is better.  I feel like I need to make the most of every work out.  And for some reason I can't get myself to believe that slow is sometimes making the most out of it. 

I think your plan sounds good.  I just need the discipline to do it.

Christy

2011-05-18 6:32 PM
in reply to: #3506938

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
If slower is better, then I should have nothing to worry about, LOL!
2011-05-18 6:44 PM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
Joe, I agree with you. My knees started bothering me and I believe it is because I was trying to go too far very fast, too soon. I have been running one mile or two while learning new forms and techniques and I feel much better. I am going to try your 3-2-1 method. Sounds interesting.

Edited by djb45 2011-05-18 6:45 PM
2011-05-18 7:06 PM
in reply to: #3506944

User image

Master
Baltimore

khharms - 2011-05-18 7:32 PM If slower is better, then I should have nothing to worry about, LOL!

I know you're joking, but your point is very good - what I said was wrong.  The key is easy, not slow, my mistake .

And you're not slow

2011-05-18 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3506973

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

You said easy, I was actually responding to Christy.

But I like your post, definitely something for me to look in to for running. Anything I can do to make running easier for me, I'll try! Running is so much harder with a stroller, it definitely tests your endurance!

2011-05-18 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3506999

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
khharms - 2011-05-18 7:26 PM

You said easy, I was actually responding to Christy.

But I like your post, definitely something for me to look in to for running. Anything I can do to make running easier for me, I'll try! Running is so much harder with a stroller, it definitely tests your endurance!

OH NO!! Did I really? I didn't mean it!!! Easy.  I should have said easy! Kudos for running with a stroller.  I did it a few times but it was too much.   My son HATES it.  I pretend that's why I don't run with him.  It's really because it is too hard.

2011-05-18 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3507010

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
Awe guys!! I didn't get offended!! I was just making a statement, sorry about that! I don't get offended easily, or ever really - so please don't take what I say to heart. I also know the comment wasn't directed any person, including me!
2011-05-19 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I got in a short swim this morning.  Wanted to practice swimming in my wetsuit.  It wasn't bad.  I was able to get it off without much trouble. 

My IT band is really hurting.  I was going to do an easy spin on the bike this afternoon but I'm not sure if i should. 

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Christy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56