BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-06-15 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3435962

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED
Hey Nik, thanks for asking.

My week is going okay. Getting some runs in. Mostly hills, actually almost all hills in the past 5 days which is crazy. Hope to get a 16k in this afternoon, with less hills.

Had a fun time in the mountains on the weekend. Only got one run in. It was killer though. Ran/hiked up about 400 meters elevation, about 3k distancewise, took me 40 minutes, then bombed down in 20. Wild fun. I highly suggest it.

2011-06-17 5:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Saratoga County, NY
Rode 15ish miles to drop my bike off for a tuneup.  I was amazed at how much I could save and how much less it cost for a tuneup a bit closer to city. $39 in four days VS $70 in 2.5 weeks.  I have no idea if I really needed a tuneup - but it felt like the front derailer was loud and it had been probably 750 or more miles.
2011-06-18 3:27 PM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

Alright I have a question.  So next week is a recovery week for me and then I go into "month 4' of my training plan.  The 2nd week I hit my peak, and then the 3rd week I repeat it, followed by recovery in week 4.  Then I still have another month before my race.  I'm wondering if it's worth continuing to add 10% volume for another week or so or if I should simply follow the plan.  I have the next 2 months of training below (the grey are bricks in the plan, although I plan to do some of them before I get there):

Month 4  

Week

M

T

W

TH

F

S

S

TOTAL

Vol

1 - 6/27/11

21-Swim

Off

35-Swim

21-Run

Off

70-Bike

35-Run

3h 44m

42-Bike

224m

2 - 7/4/11

23-Swim

Off

39-Swim

23-Run

Off

77-Bike

39-Run

4h 7m

10%

46-Bike

247m

3 - 7/11/11

23-Swim

Off

39-Swim

23-Run

Off

77-Bike

39-Run

4h 7m

0%

46-Bike

247m

4 - 7/18/11

23-Swim

Off

23-Swim

23-Run

Off

46-Bike

23-Run

4h 4m

-25%

46-Bike

184m

Month 5  

Week

M

T

W

TH

F

S

S

TOTAL

Vol

1 - 7/25/11

21-Swim

Off

35-Swim

21-Run

Off

70-Bike

35-Run

3h 44m

42-Bike

224m

2 - 8/1/11

23-Swim

Off

39-Swim

23-Run

Off

77-Bike

39-Run

4h 7m

10%

46-Bike

247m

Peak

3 - 8/8/11

18-Swim

Off

31-Swim

Off

Off

62-Bike

31-Run

3h 17m

-20%

37-Bike

18-Run

197m

Taper

4 - 8/15/11

14-Swim

Off

23-Swim

46-Bike

Off

Off

Race

2h 05m

-20%

28-Bike

14-Run

+Race

Taper

2011-06-18 4:40 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Nik, tough question to answer.

I mean your time commitment is fairly low for someone who is in fairly good shape. Are you finding your plan to be easy? I am going to assume yes, I just can't imagine someone who runs as fast as you on such little training to not be finding the plan easy.

Sometimes a rest week comes and you think, gee, I could do another peak week, like, really I could, IF I HAD TO AND WANTED TO BADLY ENOUGH. I feel that way often, and I have pushed through the fatigue and put in another solid week, usually with no consequences or drops in performance in training and never with any injury, but those are tough weeks. Rarely do I come to a rest week and still feel super fresh, but I have, and then I push the recovery week or skip it and I feel great.

I guess the thing is, if you come to the rest week and you feel as fresh as you would expect to feel at the end of the rest week then, really, what is the point of the rest week. If you are going to feel fresher at the end of the rest week than you probably can use the recovery.

It is a cliche but, better to show up undertrained and healthy than overtrained and insured.

2011-06-19 10:12 AM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

Darren,

For the most part I don't feel like I'm struggling with my workouts or schedule, I'm finding it fairly easy to go out and get everything done that I'm supposed to get done.  Today will be my longest run so far and I'm aiming for 4 miles in about 35-36 minutes.  I think it might suck at points but I'm not worried about not finishing it.  I'll also follow it up with at least 21 minutes in the pool.

I will take advantage of my recovery week coming up since i've had 4 weeks without one.  I have 3 weeks until I reach my peak so I think as that get's closer I'll make a decision based on what my body is feeling.  At this point I'm leaning more towards trying to bump up my volume by another 10% instead of hold the peak for 2 weeks straight and then have a recovery week to follow.  I'll keep you posted and I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks.

2011-06-20 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I think it will really depend on what your goals are. If you want to keep the time commitment lower or really master the sprint distances then stick closer to the plan. If you intend to jump up to olympic or longer distances then I would look into a new plan.

2011-06-20 3:53 PM

User image

Veteran
I take the plan as a minimum - rather than a goal for training on a given day.  I'm signed up for a full marathon in October, and can't seem to schedule the running over the top of an existing Sprint tri plan.  So, I am going to keep my plan for the TRI- and just change the run distances to those I got from Runners World Smart Coach.
2011-06-20 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3558602

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

benjaminjacobso - 2011-06-20 3:53 PM I take the plan as a minimum - rather than a goal for training on a given day.  I'm signed up for a full marathon in October, and can't seem to schedule the running over the top of an existing Sprint tri plan.  So, I am going to keep my plan for the TRI- and just change the run distances to those I got from Runners World Smart Coach.

Thats what I did, I found a 3 day half marathon plan and used their numbers instead of the 3 runs that the olympic plan I was on.

2011-06-21 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3558770

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Things to do this week (before my first triathlon)

put yankz in shoes and try them out.

practice transition organization

practice trying to get wetsuit off in less than 15 minutes.

make sure bike is cleaned, lubed, packed and ready

light runs, bike and OWS's

Anything I am missing?

2011-06-21 5:27 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Dave,

Sounds like a good plan. Does the tri you are doing have a transition seminar. Some of them do and it is helpful if you have never done a tri before.

It is of course very important to have every thing packed and in one or 2 bags the day before.
2011-06-22 2:37 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
hey guys,

i note that the website has a 30% off on memberships so if you are thinking of committing for the long haul, now may be the time.

2011-06-23 9:54 AM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

Darren,

Do you find the cost of being a member on the site worth it for the additional features you get?

I think I'm going to scout my course for my race in August this weekend.  Should give me a chance to get some OWS practice, and ride the bike course and find out if the hills are bad or not.  I think I'll try to Swim/Bike/Run to get an idea what Race day will be like and have a chance to practice transitioning.

2011-06-23 5:01 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I like seeing the garmin lap data. If I was trying to save money I probably wouldn't buy one, but I use the site a lot and figure 60 bucks for 14 months is not so bad.
2011-06-24 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3560945

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

My first tri is on Sunday.  My tri has a transition seminar tomorrow that I plan on attending.  Still have a little bike maintenance to attend to - need to swap out the front tire tube (slow leak), clean and lube my chain.  Plus I need to stop by the bike shop tomorrow and get a bike rack and a spare tube. 

I'm debating about whether to rack my bike in the transition area on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning.  I don't know if I'm comfortable leaving my bike alone outside for 16+ hours.  My wave starts at 7:12am on Sunday.  Any thoughts on this? 

Also - I think my wetsuit is going to be a gametime decision depending on the water and air temps.  If it's warm outside and in the water, I don't know that I can justify a wetsuit for a 750m swim. 

I have a long bike to get in this afternoon and then tomorrow is my pre-race rest day. 

Have a nice weekend everyone! 

2011-06-24 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3566030

User image

Veteran
rdietz - 2011-06-24 2:22 PM

My first tri is on Sunday.  My tri has a transition seminar tomorrow that I plan on attending.  Still have a little bike maintenance to attend to - need to swap out the front tire tube (slow leak), clean and lube my chain.  Plus I need to stop by the bike shop tomorrow and get a bike rack and a spare tube. 

I'm debating about whether to rack my bike in the transition area on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning.  I don't know if I'm comfortable leaving my bike alone outside for 16+ hours.  My wave starts at 7:12am on Sunday.  Any thoughts on this? 

Also - I think my wetsuit is going to be a gametime decision depending on the water and air temps.  If it's warm outside and in the water, I don't know that I can justify a wetsuit for a 750m swim. 

I have a long bike to get in this afternoon and then tomorrow is my pre-race rest day. 

Hope you have a great race! I've never had the chance to leave my bike the night before - I am sure it'll be fine if others are doing the same, right?

Enjoy -

2011-06-24 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3566127

User image

Champion
Calgary
benjaminjacobso - 2011-06-24 1:18 PM

rdietz - 2011-06-24 2:22 PM

Hope you have a great race! I've never had the chance to leave my bike the night before - I am sure it'll be fine if others are doing the same, right?

Enjoy -

Yeah, have a great race. Leaving the bike in transition takes some getting used to. Just as easy to bring it race day though, if they allow it, some race require you to set up the day before, but most aren't like that from what I understand. Frankly, if I didn't have to leave it the night before I wouldn't, its a hassle, what if it rains, and always the possibility of vandalism.

2011-06-26 7:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
first race today. Long course 2km swim which I zig zaged all over the place and went way off course. Probably swam 2.5km I bet. Didnt cling to any bouys, kayaks or float on my back just swam which I am happy about, I was slow but I just need to get sighting better. Bike was a tough one full of hills, felt sick initially on the bike but drank gatorade and seemed okay. Needed some lower gears to tackle the hills. Run was tough still lots of hills. I had to walk alot of the uphills. Overall I am really happy, I know that I wasnt the fastest and it was huge challenge but I look forward to the next race.
2011-06-26 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3566136

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

My tri on Sunday went awesome!  I took the swim out very fast and I am glad I did.  I felt a little wobbly on the bike at first, but I really wanted to take advantage of the swim and I think it paid off.  My transitions went very well.  I had my transition area set up perfectly and left a few pieces of gear at home which made my transition much easier (Garmin and bike gloves stayed home).  I still have a lot of work to do on the bike.  I felt like I was in slow motion compared to the people that passed me.  The run felt good and was at a comfortable pace.  The run was actually a personal best 5k for me (although that's not saying much since my fast 5k was in 90 degree heat and almost a year ago).  

My race report is here...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=258188

I can't wait for my olympic tri in 2 weeks!  

2011-06-27 8:44 AM
in reply to: #3568290

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Nice race Ryan, looks like it all came together nicely!

Edited by DaveL 2011-06-27 8:44 AM
2011-06-27 9:21 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Dave and Ryan,

Great job guys.

Dave, regarding the sighting, that is a tricky skill to get. Did you have a pattern you followed, as in look up every 10 strokes or something. I find that looking up can cost a lot of time unless you practice it, you can actually get to the point where you can look up while barely getting your head out of the water (which seems to cost the most energy).

Ryan, that is awesome you did it without the Garmin, I can barely train, let alone race, without it.
2011-06-27 11:31 AM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

Good job on your races guys!

I went out and practiced all 3 events on my course this weekend.  The swim went well, the bike went okay.  There are more hills than I'm used to, and 2 bad ones on the return leg, thankfully they are very short.  Felt pretty tired at the end of the 12.5 miles.  Then ran 2.1 miles and my legs just felt bad and I felt tired out.  I wished I had a larger breakfast cause I think it would have helped me stay powered up.  In any case I'm very happy with how it went overall and I think I'll add some parking ramp time to my training.  I also think I'll go back out in about a month and do the course again.

2011-06-29 4:05 PM

User image

Veteran

Where's everybody?  I am on a rest day. 

Going back a ways in the threads - I recently renewed my Performance membership and upgraded to Silver.  For me, it's already feels like it's worth it for the details of workouts because they make it more demanding.  For instance - here's what I got for swim yesterday:

45m1100.00 yards-----

Easy
WU: Swim 4 laps (200 yds) warm up.
MS: The next set will be 10 x 50 on 30" rest. This means 50 yards sprint, 10x, each time with 30 seconds rest when you finish. Then swim 200 yards of drills (mix it up) and then swim 4x 25 yards fast with 15" rest.
CD: Then swim 100 yards easy cool down.

Way better than just Swim 45 Minutes.  I didn't quite complete it, but it's just an example.

----------

When should you move up in distance?  I am antsy to try an Olympic distance, and might just register for one in early September.  I have a dream of doing an Iron Man - the full thing.   It's good to dream!

Ben

2011-06-29 4:16 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I am here. Guess I am not being much of a mentor here but people seem to be doing pretty good.

June is about over and it is about what I expected. Big drop off in running volume due to 5 months of marathon training, be around 290k by the time it is said and down, a bit down from May which was 369. Very disappointed with my bike commuting this month. We had a string of bad weather then a string of a lot work and I just couldn't get the time to ride in. I should be riding tomorrow which will make 3 times this month, a far cry from May which was 8 times. My Yoga practice has been way off due to some long hours at work and just not having even the energy to do anything but fall into bed at night to get my 6-7 hours, although I had to make due on 5 hours a number of times this month which is less than ideal.

Anyways. This seems like a depressing post. Actually my running is going quite well in the past 2 weeks. I am hitting the hills very frequently. Feeling a lot stronger on my runs on the flat. Getting into the barefoot thing (3 times this month) so it has been good in that regard.

I know what you mean with getting a good plan in your mail box each day. That gives motivation for sure. I am kinda going without a plan for now, except to say my plan is to try to hit the hills everyday. Somedays I try to do a bit faster and some days easy and some days just hill repeats. Although I try to hit an easy flat run in.

Anyone have any races coming up. Any nerves? Any recent awesome achievements I can live vicariously through?
2011-06-29 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3568834

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

BigDH - 2011-06-27 9:21 AM

Dave, regarding the sighting, that is a tricky skill to get. Did you have a pattern you followed, as in look up every 10 strokes or something. I find that looking up can cost a lot of time unless you practice it, you can actually get to the point where you can look up while barely getting your head out of the water (which seems to cost the most energy).

Dave - I think sighting just get's easier as you get more comfortable in the water and stronger in the water.  I sight almost every stroke as I can do it without really costing any energy.  I also have a fairly high body position in the water.  I don't recommend you doing the same yet.  I think when I first started doing open water swims, I would sight every 8 to 10 strokes. 

Ryan, that is awesome you did it without the Garmin, I can barely train, let alone race, without it.

I am actually really starting to enjoy racing without it!  I find that my pace is just as consistent, if not more so. 

2011-06-29 9:31 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Hi, my name is Chris and I am a bad group member.  I have not been faithful in keeping up with and contributing to the conversation.  If you will accept my apologies and allow me back into the group I promise to be a better BTer.

Seriously though, I am sorry about my lack of posts.  The end of the school year was very busy and as soon as that was done, I've been on 2 business training sessions and a 3000+ mile family vacation road trip.  I am finally home and ready to get back at it. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21