BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2012-01-07 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3976442

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!
erinrockrun - 2012-01-07 9:24 AM

Suzie, well it sounds like everyone includes their drills in the total swim yardage so that's good to know:-)  As far as bike shoes, I just started road biking this past summer and rode for a couple months in running shoes.  Everyone encouraged me to get bike shoes.  I finally did, and even though they're just a little intimidating at first they make a big difference.  They allow you to use more thigh muscles (as you're pulling AND pushing vs just pushing down), so you ride a lot more efficiently.  They take a little getting-used-to, but I would highly recommend it!

Tammy, hope that 10K's going well this morning!  I always love racing the week before a goal race; it really seems to sharpen everything up.  Can't wait to see how it goes.

Thanks to everyone about the cramping advice.  I'm also going to try to take electrolytes halfway through and see if that makes a difference.  I've been swimming after my strength training or spinning sessions so the body might be a little depleted by the time I climb into the water.

Hey Erin....all my swimming cramps have been cured by some heavy duty stretching of the legs.  My calves and hammies have locked up....but I can feel it coming on.....getting out of the pool and stretching fixes it....Now I make sure to take care of my legs after workouts and before swim if I feel tight..then I have no issues....When I was doing P90X Yoga and X-stretch every week I never had cramping issues at all...So for me - gotta stretch a lot.....Just my experience.

2012-01-07 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3976231

User image

Extreme Veteran
wsilverthorne - 2012-01-06 11:28 PM
gnome - 2012-01-02 4:14 PM

For all the cold weather biking exchange of info here is how I handle the cold weather....Buy a trainer...but the bike in front of a 50" TV in the basement - put a fan in front of the bike....and only wear pantyhose while I bike!!!!  I know..the mental picture is "SEXY" haha...ROTFLMAO....sorry - had to go there!

Wilson, I'm SO glad you shaved before taking this pic- the better to show off your sexy legs!!

2012-01-07 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3942391

User image

Extreme Veteran

I posted this in my blog, but had to share it here, too. Anybody recognize this guy?

He's from here, and he just won Biggest Loser. That's Ally, the first female winner, in the foreground. Anyway, I thought he was a real db, so it gave me GREAT pleasure to leave him in the dust in the first mile on my way to a new 10K PR of 51:53!! It's a good day :-)

Edited by tstl 2012-01-07 1:10 PM
2012-01-07 3:55 PM

Extreme Veteran

Ok Hilde asked about netball so here's a link that explains it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netball

2012-01-07 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3976442

Extreme Veteran

Erin - Thanks. Oh do you have anything to drink after the spin/ST? That could help too.

Another dumb bike question - do you need to have the clip in pedals to use proper cycling shoes?

2012-01-07 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3976799

Extreme Veteran
Great job dusting the BL guy.

2012-01-07 4:31 PM

Whew!!  I'm tired just catching up to you guys.  This weeks posts were very informative and always interesting.  For me it's been a rough week.  Originally I was supposed to be away for work, then it changed (as it often does) to a 120 mile daily commute, where I wasn't getting home until 8pm every night after working 10 hours.  I'm trying to take it all in stride, but I am beat.

Glad to see everyone working out and getting all sorts of new stuff.  Just a couple of comments to catch up:

• With respect to the wetsuit discussion-I hate using a wetsuit.  I feel like it constricts my arm movement, which is most of my swim activity since I'm not much of a kicker.  Of course in NY in June the water is a bit cold (low to mid 60's) so I have to use it, but anything above 68, it's off.  I also use Body Glide on my ankles to help get the wetsuit off when I use it.  It generally seems to help.
  • I'm loving the story about blowing by the BL winner (I think his name is John?) in the 10K (and a 51 min finish-awesome!).  I didn't like him at all in the show, total D to the B-A-G.
  • I get some serious toe cramps when I swim, and after increasing my potassium intake prior to swimming, drinking more water, and stretching the calves, I was still getting cramping which was crazy painful.  Since then, I increased my use of Gatorade and actually bring a squeeze bottle full of Gatorade poolside so I can drink it to keep away my cramps.  So far it's been working. 

I just received my new swimsuit tops, so I'm looking forward to finally getting back in the pool.  Plus, my first 5K of the year tomorrow, so wish me luck!!

Have a good week everyone!

-Kelly

2012-01-07 4:56 PM
in reply to: #3976799

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
turtle...way to ROCK the $hit out of that 10k!!!  Now that I've had a look into the inner LT workings for Turtle Tammy - and have seen this sandbagging going on....We are gunna call you out on speed days girl!!!!  I plan on being delightfully supportive in kicking your A$$!!! hahah...with love of course!!! (and I know you won't pull any punches either!!!)  Hey, you should be proud of this performance - awesome when all the hard work pays off with dividends like today!!!  You make us proud girl....way to go!!!
2012-01-07 5:13 PM
in reply to: #3977092

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Well, well, well... it seems Tammy Turtle has turned into Tammy Cheetah!!!  Way to rock that race babe!!  Totally AWESOME... I am in awe!!!!  BL-DB must have lost his manhood when he lost the weight, ha ha!  He probably needs a Jog Strap!

Just came back from an awesome bike ride... hubby was hinting at going with me, after telling me he would slow me down.  I was ready to hold back just so we could ride together, but as soon as we got home from picking up the aero helmet, he loaded up the basset hound and headed for the hike and bike trail for a walk.  Oh well, I gave it a good effort and am glad to say that the @$$ is coming around and it's beginning to feel like my bike legs are coming back too.  Beautiful day for a ride!  And no, I did NOT wear the aero helmet on my ride... I would look like a total poser going like a snail up the hills ha ha!!  Gotta build me some real speed first!

2012-01-08 4:31 AM

Extreme Veteran

OK I may have just sorted out my latest swim cramp issue - I didn't have any water in between laps like I normally do (mainly due to money to buy some and I forgot to take my own bottle)

Hilde - Love that the @ss and legs are coming back for the biking. The hills do get easier right? At least you're riding up them though I had to walk up mine today.

Ok I'm keeping track of mileage for run, bike and swim this year (week 1 is 8 days since thats how the mileage game on RW works it) and I got 4.07 (run/walk - I count both because they're both part of training), 7.67 (bike - all over 4mph with 1 over 5mph ) and 0.7k (swim - it's easier doing it in metres and therefore km since the pools are measured in metres here)

Hoping to add at least 10% to all the above next week (run is 2.87 not counting the NYD run and walk)

2012-01-08 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3976519

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Kristen, the race I'm looking at is July 1 in Buzzards Bay (Whaling City Tri).

Andrea, that is so cool that you're considering the Buzzards Bay Tri.  I've heard the swim is really awesome b/c it's in the bay, so very calm waters and nice temps.  Maybe you don't need a wetsuit for this one...  I actually have this race down as a "tentative" for my season.  I'm doing Cohasset the weekend before so I'm not sure how I feel about back to back races.  But now that I know you're considering it, maybe I'll just have to register - it would be fun to see you and meet you!!  Where do you live again?  Are you close to Buzzards Bay?  I'm about 40 minutes away in Hingham, MA.

2012-01-08 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Hope everyone had a good weekend!  I'm recovering from a big night out with some friends last night...  Lots of wine, margaritas, sushi and dancing!!  Paying for it today.  I was planning on a 4 mile run this morning.  Time will tell if I manage to get that in before the day is over, haha!  If not, I'll just have to mark today off as a rest day.  Hope everyone else got some good training in today, I feel like such a lazy bum!!
2012-01-08 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3978064

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana

After I got done with today's run I looked at the data and said...damn..you should have run that one faster -- not so comfortable.....I was thinking of Turtle's 10k performance yesterday....she has inspired me to push harder on my next zone 3+ run....And while I was goofing around the other night trying to find a name for my bike...some creative juices started flowing..haha..Not sure I will end up with this name...but i do like the sounds of it....kinda fits....but I'm still not 100% locked in... hahaha  I like variety...maybe she will never have a name!!!

2012-01-08 1:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana

kpringle - 2012-01-08 1:57 PM Hope everyone had a good weekend!  I'm recovering from a big night out with some friends last night...  Lots of wine, margaritas, sushi and dancing!!  Paying for it today.  I was planning on a 4 mile run this morning.  Time will tell if I manage to get that in before the day is over, haha!  If not, I'll just have to mark today off as a rest day.  Hope everyone else got some good training in today, I feel like such a lazy bum!!

Kristen, you are my kinda girl!!!  If you're gonna have a unplanned rest day having a hangover cuz of getting way too out of control is a great reason!!!!  It is one of the best reasons for an unplanned rest day.....says I've considered my stress level and needed to let loose - forgetting about my goal of health and fitness...  Wine AND margaritas is a dangerous combination....shows you are versatile  and will fear no liquid!!!(perfect prerequisite for a MMM meet up)....Sushi.....love the finer things in life - and don't mind eating things just killed!!!!  and dancing...you like to get your groove on and show the world your sexiness!!!!!  Love it...sounds like a perfect Saturday night and a reason for an unplanned rest day on Sunday!

I feel like a boring lame a$$ now!!!!

Work tomorrow peeps...UGH!!!!

Edited by wsilverthorne 2012-01-08 1:21 PM
2012-01-08 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3977023

User image

New user
KY
suzielea - 2012-01-07 4:00 PM

Erin - Thanks. Oh do you have anything to drink after the spin/ST? That could help too.

Another dumb bike question - do you need to have the clip in pedals to use proper cycling shoes?

Thanks, Suzie...I'll keep that in mind.  And there are no dumb questions here!  Yes, you do need to have clip-in pedals that are compatible with your bike shoes.  I got speedplay pedals (also called "lollipops") that some of the bike club members suggested.  They are very beginner friendly; easier to get used to than some of the other pedals out there.  I love them.

2012-01-08 2:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
kpringle - 2012-01-08 11:57 AMHope everyone had a good weekend!  I'm recovering from a big night out with some friends last night...  Lots of wine, margaritas, sushi and dancing!!  Paying for it today.  I was planning on a 4 mile run this morning.  Time will tell if I manage to get that in before the day is over, haha!  If not, I'll just have to mark today off as a rest day.  Hope everyone else got some good training in today, I feel like such a lazy bum!!
Ha ha, I'm feeling it too today... Daughter went to a friend's for a sleepover last night, and we went to a friend's for wine, rum, absinthe, and something else I can't remember. Trying to shake it off and head out for a bike ride, wish me luck!

2012-01-08 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3978053

User image

Veteran
kpringle - 2012-01-08 1:52 PM

Andrea, that is so cool that you're considering the Buzzards Bay Tri.  I've heard the swim is really awesome b/c it's in the bay, so very calm waters and nice temps.  Maybe you don't need a wetsuit for this one...  I actually have this race down as a "tentative" for my season.  I'm doing Cohasset the weekend before so I'm not sure how I feel about back to back races.  But now that I know you're considering it, maybe I'll just have to register - it would be fun to see you and meet you!!  Where do you live again?  Are you close to Buzzards Bay?  I'm about 40 minutes away in Hingham, MA.

I live in CT.  My mother has a house in Mattapoisett.  We often visit around the 4th of July.  I'm usually not too interested in swimming for pleasure in late June or early July unless it's crazy hot and humid.  It looks like this tri moved from 7/31ish to 7/1.  400ish meters (1/4mile) shouldn't take me more than 8 minutes, so I could probably do it temperature-wise.

Edited by rustymom 2012-01-08 2:28 PM
2012-01-08 3:20 PM

User image

Expert

Love this group-- always tons of cool stuff going on!!

TammyTurtle, way to ROCK that 10K, girl!! Bringing home the bling before the new year's in double digits AND blitzing by a local DB-- now THAT's the way to roll!

The "jogstrap" ad made me howl-- hysterical!

On today's LSD run, I saw a woman dressed in a skirt, flared coat, chunky heels, and carrying both a large handbag and a cup of coffee strolling with a guy around the local HS track. (Did I mention she was in heels? And carrying a handbag?) When they were done, they got in their car nearby and drove away. OK, so good for them for getting out and walking at all, but seriously, who wears heels and a handbag to a track??? Very bizarre... (More blather about the odd sights of my morning's run can be found on my blog, the better to save space here!)

Enjoy the rest of your Sundays, everyone!

Alex

2012-01-08 3:40 PM

Extreme Veteran

A couple of you asked what milo is - here's a link:

http://www.milo.com.au/nutrition.html

2012-01-08 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3978290

User image

Expert
Falls Church
suzielea - 2012-01-08 3:40 PM

A couple of you asked what milo is - here's a link:

http://www.milo.com.au/nutrition.html

This looks very much like Ovaltine!

Was a treat when I was a kid.

2012-01-08 4:08 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Tammy - nice 10K!!!!!  

Swim cramps - I get them in my feet sometimes when I push off.  Doesn't happen often so I don't have too many suggestions.  Going straight from spinning to swimming without some nourishment sounds like it might be an issue (like others have suggested).

Chocolate milk - love this as an after workout recovery drink.  I will have to try Wilson's concoction though.  Today I had a protein drink (whole milk, whey protein, & molasses).  Seemed to do the trick!

Swim yardage - I count all laps and all time in the pool as one workout.

Clips - I would only get clips after getting very comfortable on the bike.  It took me several falls (like 6) to get used to them.  One fall was quite bad -- I was going up a hill -- out of the saddle and realized I couldn't make it up the hill -- forgot about the clips.  Very, very bruised in places no one should be bruised.  I still haven't tried to tackle this hill in clips.  It's been two years.  I definitely clipped out one side WAY before stops while learning.

My daughter headed back to college today.  Having everyone home was terrific during the holiday break.  Now it is just four of us - me, hubby, 15 year-old daughter, and the dog.

2012-01-08 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3978184

User image

Expert
Falls Church
rustymom - 2012-01-08 2:24 PM
kpringle - 2012-01-08 1:52 PM

I live in CT.  My mother has a house in Mattapoisett.  We often visit around the 4th of July.  I'm usually not too interested in swimming for pleasure in late June or early July unless it's crazy hot and humid.  It looks like this tri moved from 7/31ish to 7/1.  400ish meters (1/4mile) shouldn't take me more than 8 minutes, so I could probably do it temperature-wise.

Small world!  My husband grew up in Mattapoisett.  It is lovely there.

2012-01-08 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3978085

Extreme Veteran
I thought you'd already named the bike the slut. Have fun with your next run pushing harder
2012-01-08 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3978254

Extreme Veteran
wrkinprogress - 2012-01-08 3:20 PM

Love this group-- always tons of cool stuff going on!!

TammyTurtle, way to ROCK that 10K, girl!! Bringing home the bling before the new year's in double digits AND blitzing by a local DB-- now THAT's the way to roll!

The "jogstrap" ad made me howl-- hysterical!

On today's LSD run, I saw a woman dressed in a skirt, flared coat, chunky heels, and carrying both a large handbag and a cup of coffee strolling with a guy around the local HS track. (Did I mention she was in heels? And carrying a handbag?) When they were done, they got in their car nearby and drove away. OK, so good for them for getting out and walking at all, but seriously, who wears heels and a handbag to a track??? Very bizarre... (More blather about the odd sights of my morning's run can be found on my blog, the better to save space here!)

Enjoy the rest of your Sundays, everyone!

Alex

Ok I've been known to take a handbag when I incorporate errands in to a walk or run but heels to a track? That's crazy,lol. Maybe she was just there for moral support (and as a coffee holder) lol.

Mel - It's simalar to ovaltine but we have both. It's mostly marketed a s a sports drink for kids - they sponser the cricket and a few other things

2012-01-08 4:24 PM

Extreme Veteran

Mel - Thanks on the clip info. I'm not even sure I can get clip pedals to go with my bike given they type it is anyway - May go for the ones where you strap in but use normal shoes though.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 61