BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2012-12-31 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4555400

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED
kaburns1214 - 2012-12-31 2:01 PM

From what I can describe, my knee tends to buckle in, which puts strain on the ACL. The superfeet allegedly helps to reduce the buckle. I do no weight machines, all dynamic stuff - like skiier squats with a kettle bell, 1 leg bridges on a soccer ball etc., the purpose of which is to strengthen the muscles so that my knee won't buckle. I have also been trying to increase my cadance. I now average about 88-92 FS, which is improved from before. I took horribly long strides, which was really bad for my knees and overall efficiency. I simply need to do more of the strength exercises and to incorporate more of the running exercises you mentioned.

This is a big one.  Tiny, baby steps will dramatically improve your form.  If your knees are buckling in, that also inner ankle instability.  I would also add calf raises three ways (toes pinting forward, toes pointing out and toes pointing in) and work on single leg balancing.  Start on a stable surface and then process to an unstable surface. 

This is a lot of the stuff I did for my ITBS issues that stemmed from poor flexibility in my hips and muscle imbalances. 

Do everything single legged, both controlled and explosively.  Then start varying the surfaces.  You can put your foot in the middle of a bosu ball, or on one of those semi inflated discs, or cut a circular piece of foam (about the same size as a pool noodle, but solid) into a semi circle and use that.  I'd also throw in pilates.  It will aide in both strength and flexibility. 

2012-12-31 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4542521

User image

Pro
CyFair
Who was asking about Asics again?  Just an FYI I tried out the Gel Racer 9s.  They were okay.  Nothing to write home about, but a solid shoe none the less.  No issues during my HIM this fall.
2012-12-31 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Thx for the explanation & links Kelly. I had no idea...very enlightening.
2012-12-31 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4555477

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
uhcoog - 2012-12-31 3:53 PMWho was asking about Asics again?  Just an FYI I tried out the Gel Racer 9s.  They were okay.  Nothing to write home about, but a solid shoe none the less.  No issues during my HIM this fall.
That was me Scott. It seems after looking things up that my DS Sky Speed 2'a are pretty neutral, I will look up the Racers. What do you run in now?
2012-12-31 5:56 PM
in reply to: #4555710

User image

Pro
CyFair

kidtri33 - 2012-12-31 5:49 PM
uhcoog - 2012-12-31 3:53 PMWho was asking about Asics again?  Just an FYI I tried out the Gel Racer 9s.  They were okay.  Nothing to write home about, but a solid shoe none the less.  No issues during my HIM this fall.
That was me Scott. It seems after looking things up that my DS Sky Speed 2'a are pretty neutral, I will look up the Racers. What do you run in now?

Going back to Brooks Pure Connects.  Best shoes I've owned.

2012-12-31 6:33 PM

User image

Veteran

Kelly, Carrie, and Scott - thank you for the feedback.

Switching topics, I have a question about bike components. It will be time to start my bike training in earnest. I bought a nice road bike (Masi) last year in anticipation of starting tris (I plan on getting a Tri bike with the condition that I finish my HIM in Sept and want to do it again). I had a bike fit the other month and learned some important things - most importantly I need to move foward a bit more to obtain a more efficient/comfortable angle and position when riding aero and for longer rides. To do this, it was suggested/recommended that I get a new seat and seat post. I have read as much as I think I can digest and understand on the subject and the pros/cons of modifying a roadie. So I have been thinking of getting a Cobb V-Flow Max saddle and a PD FF seatpost.

I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations that you all might have on this...and your own experiences/preferences.

2013-01-01 6:46 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Happy New Year!

2013-01-01 6:47 AM
in reply to: #4555755

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
ccmpsyd - 2012-12-31 7:33 PM

Switching topics, I have a question about bike components. It will be time to start my bike training in earnest. I bought a nice road bike (Masi) last year in anticipation of starting tris (I plan on getting a Tri bike with the condition that I finish my HIM in Sept and want to do it again). I had a bike fit the other month and learned some important things - most importantly I need to move foward a bit more to obtain a more efficient/comfortable angle and position when riding aero and for longer rides. To do this, it was suggested/recommended that I get a new seat and seat post. I have read as much as I think I can digest and understand on the subject and the pros/cons of modifying a roadie. So I have been thinking of getting a Cobb V-Flow Max saddle and a PD FF seatpost.

I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations that you all might have on this...and your own experiences/preferences.

I'm on a Cobb V Flow max right now and I LOVE it.  The saddle has 12,000 miles and is still going strong.

Do you have a picture of you on your bike and your bike set up?

2013-01-01 7:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Happy New Year!!! I have been out of town but will be back tomorrow. Hope you all enjoyed your holidays.
2013-01-01 7:05 AM
in reply to: #4555465

User image

Expert
uhcoog - 2012-12-31 3:47 PM

From what I can describe, my knee tends to buckle in, which puts strain on the ACL. The superfeet allegedly helps to reduce the buckle. I do no weight machines, all dynamic stuff - like skiier squats with a kettle bell, 1 leg bridges on a soccer ball etc., the purpose of which is to strengthen the muscles so that my knee won't buckle. I have also been trying to increase my cadance. I now average about 88-92 FS, which is improved from before. I took horribly long strides, which was really bad for my knees and overall efficiency. I simply need to do more of the strength exercises and to incorporate more of the running exercises you mentioned.

This is a big one.  Tiny, baby steps will dramatically improve your form.  If your knees are buckling in, that also inner ankle instability.  I would also add calf raises three ways (toes pinting forward, toes pointing out and toes pointing in) and work on single leg balancing.  Start on a stable surface and then process to an unstable surface. 

This is a lot of the stuff I did for my ITBS issues that stemmed from poor flexibility in my hips and muscle imbalances. 

Do everything single legged, both controlled and explosively.  Then start varying the surfaces.  You can put your foot in the middle of a bosu ball, or on one of those semi inflated discs, or cut a circular piece of foam (about the same size as a pool noodle, but solid) into a semi circle and use that.  I'd also throw in pilates.  It will aide in both strength and flexibility. 

That's exactly what I've been doing for my ITBS along with lots of balancing drills on a core board. Some I just do running poses or one legged drills but others I do yoga poses. My favorite for knee and hip stability is variations of this.

Usually I put one hand up to the sky and one down to the floor and hold it for 60 seconds. Switch legs and go again. Switch back with opposite hand to the sky. On a core board 60 seconds takes a while to build up to. I could barely do 10 when I started. It's made a big difference.

The other one I like a lot is lying on one of the half moon balls and doing side leg raises.

2013-01-01 7:07 AM
in reply to: #4556054

User image

Veteran
kaburns1214 - 2013-01-01 6:47 AM

I'm on a Cobb V Flow max right now and I LOVE it.  The saddle has 12,000 miles and is still going strong.

Not on me but I may be able to have the person who did the bike fit send me stills from the video he took (he gave me some stills before but I no longer have them). I can try to get the picture before he made modifications and the ones he took after. He used thing on his computer where he could measure and outline the angle of my shoulders/back/elbow and it was pretty cool to see how angles changed in my riding position after the modification. It helped a good deal but not enough.

2013-01-01 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4556068

User image

Veteran
everlong - 2013-01-01 7:05 AM
uhcoog - 2012-12-31 3:47 PM

That's exactly what I've been doing for my ITBS along with lots of balancing drills on a core board. Some I just do running poses or one legged drills but others I do yoga poses. My favorite for knee and hip stability is variations of this.

Usually I put one hand up to the sky and one down to the floor and hold it for 60 seconds. Switch legs and go again. Switch back with opposite hand to the sky. On a core board 60 seconds takes a while to build up to. I could barely do 10 when I started. It's made a big difference.

The other one I like a lot is lying on one of the half moon balls and doing side leg raises.

Thanks. I will try that. I do something similar - one legged dead lifts with a dumbell..as I lower the dumbell (grasped with two hands) to the floor, I extend one leg behind, as I lift the dumbell, I raise my knee up to my chest.
2013-01-01 7:18 AM
in reply to: #4556071

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
ccmpsyd - 2013-01-01 8:07 AM

Not on me but I may be able to have the person who did the bike fit send me stills from the video he took (he gave me some stills before but I no longer have them). I can try to get the picture before he made modifications and the ones he took after. He used thing on his computer where he could measure and outline the angle of my shoulders/back/elbow and it was pretty cool to see how angles changed in my riding position after the modification. It helped a good deal but not enough.

He likely used dartfish (or something similar).

If you are interested in how bike fits work take a look at this -- http://somerandomthursday.blogspot.com/2011/01/bike-fitting.html

2013-01-01 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4556081

User image

Veteran
kaburns1214 - 2013-01-01 7:18 AM
ccmpsyd - 2013-01-01 8:07 AM

He likely used dartfish (or something similar).

If you are interested in how bike fits work take a look at this -- http://somerandomthursday.blogspot.com/2011/01/bike-fitting.html

That's it exactly. I am fortunate because a) he is also a PT and works at the same place where I went recently and b) I can go back and he can do it again with a new seat + seatpost without charge.
2013-01-01 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

So what is everyone doing Whole 30 having for breakfast today? I just woke up (still sick as a dog - ARRR!) and am drinking black coffee. The coconut milk I bought says once opened it must be consumed in 2 days. There's no way I can finish off that much so I didn't open it. I stopped using creamer in my coffee a couple months ago, and had really only been adding a small amount of unsweetened almond milk, so drinking coffee black today is not much different.

If I can gather the strength to cook I'm going to saute some collards, mushrooms, onions and eggs.

How about everyone else?

2013-01-01 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
Happy new year everyone. "Let the HUNGER games begin". Whole 30 starts today. Woke up a little late. Kids wanted to watch the ball drop. I was ready for bed. Heading to go downstairs on the trainer for 45 mins. May add a little more resistance today. Then breakfast:

3 eggs, 1/2 avocado, spinach mushroom and green pepper. Enjoy the day.

2013-01-01 9:46 AM

I had 2 eggs with mushrooms. I have had some carrots, olives, and almonds since breakfast. First day in ages I didn't weigh myself. It's nice to wake up and not begin the day by judging myself over a ridiculous number. Headed over to my parents where I will probably not be able to eat anything. She is making a ham which is likely topped with tons of sugar. Should be interesting. My parents leave for Florida this week and stay until after Easter. I will really miss them and the babysitting services they offer for our daughter. Other than them, we are pretty limited. I know they will also terribly miss their only grandchild while they are away.
2013-01-01 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4554858

User image

kaburns1214 - 2012-12-31 9:34 AM

Here are my 2012 numbers.  Definately down on the volume due to a rocky year.  On a positive note at least the injuries were tramatic and not overuse:

Bike:403h 31m 18s  - 6731.78 Mi
Run:162h 20m 13s  - 1077.42 Mi
Swim:73h 30m 10s  - 253410 Yd

AWESOME job!

2013-01-01 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4555160

User image

uhcoog - 2012-12-31 11:58 AM 20 weeks out from IMTX. 

excellent

2013-01-01 10:06 AM

User image

Happy New Year! 

Had 84 hours bike, 164 hours run, 80 hours swim.......AND 118 hour yoga! well I guess I am one of the more flexible triathletes. 

Still admiring you whole30 peeps... my 10 year old daughter just made me homemade pancakes all my herself so of course I have to eat it. 

2013-01-01 10:19 AM

New user

Hey Everyone,

I got the okay from Kelly to join!  Looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Name: millergirl_ct (Stacey)

Story: I started training for triathlons shortly after the birth of our third baby.  I had a goal of completing a 70.3.  Needless to say, I became hooked and am beyond excited for 2013.  I have wanted to do an Ironman since I saw Kelly finish IMLP in 2011....so I am signed up and looking forward to a great year.

Family Status: I am married with three children 2,4,6

Current Training: I started back training today and have been working with the same coach for the past two years.

2012 Races: Eagleman, a bunch of local sprints and oly, and a fall marathon

Planned 2013 Races:  Rev 3 Quassy and Ironman Lake Placid

Edited by millergirl_ct 2013-01-01 10:20 AM

2013-01-01 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4556259

User image

millergirl_ct - 2013-01-01 10:19 AM

Hey Everyone,

I got the okay from Kelly to join!  Looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Story: I started training for triathlons shortly after the birth of our third baby.  I had a goal of completing a 70.3.  Needless to say, I became hooked and am beyond excited for 2013.  I have wanted to do an Ironman since I saw Kelly finish IMLP in 2011....so I am signed up and looking forward to a great year.

Current Training: I started back training today and have been working with the same coach for the past two years.

Yay! I am so excited for IMLP for you.

Katie

2013-01-01 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Hi Stacey,Welcome - we're doing the same races this year it seems!
millergirl_ct - 2013-01-01 11:19 AM

Hey Everyone,

2013-01-01 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4555755

User image

Pro
CyFair
ccmpsyd - 2012-12-31 6:33 PM

If you're going to use the bike as strictly a tri bike I'm in favor of the FF seatpost.  If you're going to do other things with it I'm iffy.  I've seen lots of folks complete Ironman events on roadies. In fact I've had one or two tell me they prefer their roadie, set up like a roadie, with shorty bars.  Your call really.

I will say if you can get the roadie w/ the seatpost set up like your tri bike will be eventually you can put that on the trainer and save the wear and tear on the tri bike. 

2013-01-01 10:45 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
millergirl_ct - 2013-01-01 10:19 AM

Hey Everyone,

More Yankees..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :P

Welcome Stacey.  The more the merrier around here.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 122