BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-01-01 6:29 PM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

New York
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed
Oh and on Jonathan's weight loss point, I've never really struggled with too much weight (I'm 6'1" and keep my weight around 170-178lbs) but for me it's always been about not maintaining a healthy diet. If I stop training or finish some goal I had set, I become lazy to cook, my protein intake tends to go down (i'm vegetarian, so I find I have to consciously keep it supplemented with some shakes etc) and I end up ordering dinner from outside almost every other day. So my biggest goal for the year is to really watch what I eat and go from 173 lbs with 13% body fat now to 175-178 lbs with 10% body fat by the end of the season. 

2013-01-01 7:35 PM
in reply to: #4556846

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
bhargavs - 2013-01-01 7:17 PM

Regarding my training, I seem to be on track, sticking with the couch to 10k program for the run and trainer road for the bike. I start swim lessons this Saturday and I feel I am almost in the same boat as Eric and Karl. One thing I have realized from the limited running I've done coming back is I really want to try and run faster but whenever I do that, I end up with some pain under my calves (soleus muscle??) and something resembling shin splints. Any remedies/tips for that or should I just take it easy and slowly build the mileage up.

If you're having trouble picking up the pace it's likely because your body is telling you don't need to go faster and you shouldn't.  This is especially true since you haven't gotten all of your muscle development back following your ACL reconstruction.  Don't rush running faster!  It will come in time, you just need to learn to be a little patient.  I know how you're feel however, I have been in those same shoes and it is sometimes a great struggle to keep my pace slow. 

Reality is, I am trying to slow my runs down right now myself.  I have dealing with plantar fascitiis for a couple of months and I have been really tempering my desire to run more than I am ready for.  I also would like to run 5 times a week but my foot isn't likely to put up with that much running right now.

Slow running is probably the best thing you can do for your body.  I suggest you develop a strong running base of at least 20 miles a week  and carry that base for at least 2 months before you consider speed work.  Then, once you have gotten that base you still should not do much faster running.  I feel 1 speed workout a week is enough to provide benefits and minimize the risk of injury.  Keep with the plan to run slow and trust me on this. 

Jeff, could you post the page that used some time ago to discuss the benefits of slow running?  I am certain this will benefit many of the people within the group and it will do me good to read it again myself.

2013-01-01 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4556743

User image

Expert
MI
jgerbodegrant - 2013-01-01 5:51 PM

So I had been thinking that I would have to take some time off from running and swimming following my surgery this Thursday, but I didn't realize until today that my swimming will have to be cut off for three to five weeks.  This really stinks.  I'm not supposed to get any sweat in my eyes either.  This is tough being that I am a sweat factory.

So um, I don't think there are sweat glands around the eyes?  I wonder if it would be okay if you were to run with goggles???  Sweat can't run down into your eyes that way! Hey you run so early in the morning that no one would see you anyway... Tongue out

2013-01-01 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4556967

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
michgirlsk - 2013-01-01 8:55 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2013-01-01 5:51 PM

So I had been thinking that I would have to take some time off from running and swimming following my surgery this Thursday, but I didn't realize until today that my swimming will have to be cut off for three to five weeks.  This really stinks.  I'm not supposed to get any sweat in my eyes either.  This is tough being that I am a sweat factory.

So um, I don't think there are sweat glands around the eyes?  I wonder if it would be okay if you were to run with goggles???  Sweat can't run down into your eyes that way! Hey you run so early in the morning that no one would see you anyway... Tongue out

This may be the best way for you to get some WO's in.................

................If you do this you HAD BETTER take pictures!  And post them here and on facebook!  Laughing

2013-01-01 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4556608

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
KWDreamun - 2013-01-01 4:01 PM

WOW, just finished reading the post. 

Dirk, how is your sports asthma?

Tony, great riding on the trainer!  You mentioned lifting weights, well a quick workout that only takes a few minutes and gives you a cardio workout too.  This is just for example only.  If you are doing flat bench presses, do what you can do for 15 reps, rest 15 seconds then using the same weight do it again, you may only get 12 reps this time, rest 15 seconds, then do it again maybe getting 10 reps.  You are supposed to do 7 sets with the last set getting only 2 or 3 reps.  Total time is maybe 5 minutes.  then do the same thing with incline or dips, another 5 minutes and maybe do another one doing barbell curls for another 5 minutes.  Now you have had a good w/o in 15 minutes and you'll be sore!  I've got a lot more w/o's that I use w/o going real heavy if anyone is interested.

As far as not lifting 6 months, you will lose a lot of strength but it will come back faster than you originally gained it.  Be patient.  Do not over do it and get injured.

Jo, any more news from Margie?

Jonathan, BEAUTIFUL dog!

Samantha, great work on the 100 challenge, how's your elbow feeling?  cold better?

Dina, I'll try to post a recipe for protein cookies I love, remind me!

BTW, I'm from N. FL (Tallahassee)

As far as weight loss, I'm trying to gain.  I have dieted to get to less than 8% bodyfat, the only way I could lose weight fast was to cut carbs, only eating veggies w/o a lot of carbs such as greens, celery, strawberries and lots of protein.  No bread, pasta, high carb fruit, corn, rice, high carb drinks etc.  If ya'll want more info, let me know.

I just finished the challenge of running from Thanksgiving to New Years.  I didn't miss a day of runnng, my rest days were only a mile run but I ran.  I am here to report that my legs feel better than ever.  I would like to continue running every day for a long time. 

Just trying to catch up.

Karl

Karl congrats on finishing the Thanksgiving to New Years running challenge. It's good to hear you are not having the IT issues as well. I also appreciate the strength training workout. You are right on all points, I have lost a lot, I am very sore after doing any ST workouts and I am keeping the weight/resistance low so I don't kill myself. I know the soreness will pass but man I feel like I am starting all over again.

2013-01-01 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4556967

User image

Expert
MI

My voice is getting better although it is still quite hoarse.  Hopefully it will be fine in the next couple of days.

About the elbow(s - plural really), I don't think I've been as careful as I should be which isn't helping my situation.  It is amazing how many everyday movements use the tendons of your elbow!  Cooking (using the knife, picking up pots), washing dishes, doing laundry, opening doors, writing, typing, picking things up, etc etc!!  I guess on the bright side it's not throbbing... Undecided Also I don't think I did any good by lifting weights (upper body).  When I did the movement of weights I didn't feel the elbow so I figured it would be fine, but the next day it seemed to be slightly worse so I'm guessing that could have added to it.  Although really I feel it's hard to tell since I feel like I'm constantly irritating it with random things I do everyday...

2013-01-01 8:06 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

Happy New Year, Junkies! 

Again, I get busy for a couple of days and there's so much to catch-up with! Smile I love an active group! The pup pics and stories are so adorable and I'd LOVE to get another dog, preferably one I could take on training runs, but we've decided against adopting anymore fur babies. We have two dogs, one of which is gravely ill Cry with lymphoma and congestive heart failure, so she's getting all the love we have to lavish on a pet right now. My 17 year old cat died in May '12, and now one of our 13 year old  dogs is ill....it just hurts so darn much when they pass, hence our decision.

Here are my numbers from 2012:

Bike:174h 52m 47s  - 2255.49 Mi
Run:111h 44m 39s  - 500.25 Mi
Swim:57h 14m 08s  - 141540.1 Yd
Golf:31h 10m
Hiking:2h 30m
Mountain Bike:13h 30m

Oh, and I'm right with everyone who suffers headache when discontinuing diet sodas. However, I have cut back substantially and I do feel better. I plan to quit them altogether this year, but slowly. 

Edited by kickitinok 2013-01-01 8:07 PM
2013-01-01 8:21 PM
in reply to: #4556861

User image

Expert
MI

bhargavs - 2013-01-01 7:29 PM Oh and on Jonathan's weight loss point, I've never really struggled with too much weight (I'm 6'1" and keep my weight around 170-178lbs) but for me it's always been about not maintaining a healthy diet. If I stop training or finish some goal I had set, I become lazy to cook, my protein intake tends to go down (i'm vegetarian, so I find I have to consciously keep it supplemented with some shakes etc) and I end up ordering dinner from outside almost every other day. So my biggest goal for the year is to really watch what I eat and go from 173 lbs with 13% body fat now to 175-178 lbs with 10% body fat by the end of the season. 

Out of curiosity, what made you go vegetarian? 

2013-01-01 9:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx

The workout limits imposed by my wife really hurt me in 2012... especially the bike ban... ha!  Biggest goal right now is to regain that cycling fitness.

Bike - 76mi (5hrs)

Run - 393mi (59hrs)

Swim - 24700 meters (9hrs)

Bike - 981mi (58hrs)

Run - 555mi (80hrs)

Swim - 97268 meters (35hrs)

2013-01-01 9:23 PM
in reply to: #4557009

User image

New York
michgirlsk - 2013-01-01 9:21 PM

bhargavs - 2013-01-01 7:29 PM Oh and on Jonathan's weight loss point, I've never really struggled with too much weight (I'm 6'1" and keep my weight around 170-178lbs) but for me it's always been about not maintaining a healthy diet. If I stop training or finish some goal I had set, I become lazy to cook, my protein intake tends to go down (i'm vegetarian, so I find I have to consciously keep it supplemented with some shakes etc) and I end up ordering dinner from outside almost every other day. So my biggest goal for the year is to really watch what I eat and go from 173 lbs with 13% body fat now to 175-178 lbs with 10% body fat by the end of the season. 

Well, I've kinda been vegetarian most my life. Grew up in India being vegetarian, then started eating pretty much anything when I was studying in Germany but I never quite got used to it. So given an option, I tend to go veggie - I do eat eggs/yogurt/diary etc so that helps. Sorry for such an unexciting response Laughing It was definitely not due to a revelation or something like that one fine day - more a matter of convenience.  

2013-01-01 9:45 PM
in reply to: #4557090

User image

Expert
MI
bhargavs - 2013-01-01 10:23 PM
michgirlsk - 2013-01-01 9:21 PM

Well, I've kinda been vegetarian most my life. Grew up in India being vegetarian, then started eating pretty much anything when I was studying in Germany but I never quite got used to it. So given an option, I tend to go veggie - I do eat eggs/yogurt/diary etc so that helps. Sorry for such an unexciting response Laughing It was definitely not due to a revelation or something like that one fine day - more a matter of convenience.  

haha I asked because when you mentioned your vegetarian-ness earlier it sounded like it may have been a change that was made after having not been a veg.

After college I got out of the "habit" (if that's what you call it) of eating meat.  And today, while I do still eat meat, it would not be unusual for me to go days without eating meat... I do think it is more of a convenience factor nowadays.  Meat takes too much time (and effort!) to prepare!

2013-01-01 10:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Junkies- 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Just doing a quick check-in. Since we are on vacation in Cali, I do get scolded if found on the computer. Everyone is watching football so I thought I would seize the opportunity.

Quick recap on this morning's Half Marathon:

I posted a short race report.

My IT Band tightened up on mile 4. The run consisted of three loops on the bike path. Each loop coming back caused discomfort on my right knee, I know the bike path is uneven and am wondering if the ground was lower (drainage) and therefore I struggled with each lap? Once my knee tightened up I concentrated on running easy and enjoying the scenery. Perhaps I should have stopped all together, but I could not bring myself to do that.

Around mile 9, my body ran out of fuel. Flying cross country the day before, not getting much sleep the two nights prior and not eating/fueling enough caught up to me - I know that is exactly what happened. I didn't beat myself up about it though. The mere fact that I flew across the country with two little munchkins and basically had a 22 hour day on 3 hours sleep and still made it to the race location to run 13.1 miles, is more than many would consider doing.

My total run time - 2:06:56.

Edited by jenbmosley 2013-01-01 10:26 PM
2013-01-02 1:19 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Finally back to a real computer!  I'll read up on everyone's shenanigans tomorrow after I go for a swim.  Happy New Year Junkies! Tongue out
2013-01-02 4:48 AM
in reply to: #4556983

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
michgirlsk - 2013-01-01 9:03 PM

My voice is getting better although it is still quite hoarse.  Hopefully it will be fine in the next couple of days.

About the elbow(s - plural really), I don't think I've been as careful as I should be which isn't helping my situation.  It is amazing how many everyday movements use the tendons of your elbow!  Cooking (using the knife, picking up pots), washing dishes, doing laundry, opening doors, writing, typing, picking things up, etc etc!!  I guess on the bright side it's not throbbing... Undecided Also I don't think I did any good by lifting weights (upper body).  When I did the movement of weights I didn't feel the elbow so I figured it would be fine, but the next day it seemed to be slightly worse so I'm guessing that could have added to it.  Although really I feel it's hard to tell since I feel like I'm constantly irritating it with random things I do everyday...

I am not sure why I didn't think to suggest these exercises before?  But try these......

Place your arms in front of you with your elbows locked out for both exercises. 

First one:  Straighten your fingers out and raise your fingers as high as you can and as hard as you can.  Hold this position for 15-20 seconds and repeat 3-5 times.

Second one:  Straighten your hands out in front of you again then make a fist with your hands in a neutral position.  Now bend your hands down toward the floor as far as you can. Hold this position for 15-20 seconds and repeat 3-5 times.

Try doing these as many times as you like and think to do them for at least a week and see if they help with the pain.  If they haven't helped a little by the end of the week begin to apply a little pressure to the stretch by using another object such as a table.  To do this you would simply place your finger tips on the edge of the table for the first stretch and press forward allowing the wrists to be flexed slightly more than your own strength would allow.  He same type of stretch would be applied for the second stretch only using the back of the hand, at about the knuckles.

2013-01-02 6:39 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Samantha, are you taking glucosamine with Chondroitin and msm in it.  The orthopedic dr said EVERYONE past the age of 40 should be taking it.  I know you are not near that age but you are very active.  It takes about 2 weeks to tell a difference.

Also the exercises Dirk just posted are excellent.  Also, please remember to ice it down.

2013-01-02 6:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Dirk interesting article thanks.

Dina thanks for the motivational quote!

Sam congrats on 100 runs in 100 days that is awesome, and Iam happy to hear you are feeling better hopefully the elbows will get better soon.

Karl congrats on your run challenge too! Margie goes for her MRI on the 7th so we will know more after that.

Matt I hope you are feeling better today after your too much fun new years !

Jonathan, which HIM is your wife doing? Sorry to hear about the sweat/ surgery thing

Bhargavs I hear you on wanting to run faster I have actually gone back to rebuilding my run starting with the walk/run program I hate it but I know it is what I need to do. Don't try to go to fast to soon it will backfire on you.

Jen awesome time especially since you were not 100% congrats

So after your suggestions I went to purchase a cadence sensor and they are sold out so I will have to wait a couple weeks. I am up .2# yesterday was our last holiday get together so today begins a new day! I have 50 min with Jorge an 20 min run and strength training today.

So I signed up for the Kona lottery yesterday seeing as the original goal was to make it the year I turn 50...by the way I am now in a new age group but I checked and these women are just as fast as the 44-49 yr olds lol. I know I need to rebuild like I said, but a goal is a goal. And who knows if I get in I will definetly train differently for me this one is about being able to get there this year.

2013-01-02 7:17 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Once made, you can put them in the freezer and they will last a long time.  Now I don't measure anything, just go by looks and taste so add ingredients to your likes.

Ingredients and these are approximations:

2 - cups of oatmeal

1.5 cups of lowfat peanut butter

1/2 box of dark brown sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

2 tablespoons of vanilla

6 scoops of vanilla protein powder

6 egg whites

1/4 cup of honey

milk to make to desired consistency

Mix all together and bake at 325 until done

Everything in here is healthy except the brown sugar.  You may want more or less of various ingredients depending on your taste.

Remember these freeze very good.  You can take them right out of the freezer and eat; or microwave and they are like right out of the oven.

Note: no flour is used.

You can substitute chocolate protein powder and cocoa to make chocolate cookies.

These cookies are really good, high in protein and carbs from oatmeal and brown sugar and honey.

2013-01-02 7:18 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Jo, goodluck on the Kona Lottery!
2013-01-02 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4557306

User image

Expert
MI
What does "glucosamine with Chondroitin and msm" do?
2013-01-02 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Glucosamine it is supposed to lubricate the joints thus relieving pain.
2013-01-02 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4557532

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

KWDreamun - 2013-01-02 8:40 AM Glucosamine it is supposed to lubricate the joints thus relieving pain.

doesn't sound to me like a joint issue, I think its more of a tendon issue.

2013-01-02 9:11 AM

User image

Bronze member

Karl what brand of glucosamine do you buy? Thanks for the recipe!

I finally got my Garmin speed/cadence sensor to work! So I did the spinnervals threshold test on TR. Now I feel a little sick to my stomach LOL. My legs felt fine during the workout but my HR was way up there for me on the bike - 180 was the highest I think.  I have numbers, I don't know what they mean but I have some none the less . At least I will have a platform to work from now. My 20 min test - FTP 176, LTHR 163. 

Now I guess I should pick a plan.

2013-01-02 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Glucosamine

• The compound glucosamine exists in healthy cartilage. It is an important  component in the body's ability to make proteoglycans and glycosaminoglycans  (GAG's) which are compounds of cartilage. Normally, as the body moves, cartilage  is worn away and reshaped. At rest, it resumes its normal shape and restores  itself. If glucosamine levels are low, the repair process is slowed down.  According to the Pain Clinic, taking glucosamine supplements can increase the  body's production of proteoglycans and GAG's dramatically and improve the  natural repair process.

Chondroitin

• Chondroitin is actually chondroitin sulfate and is one of the  glycosaminoglycans (GAGs). Molecules of chondroitin sulfate blend with proteins  to make proteoglycans. Proteoglycans are essential to all connective  tissue  in the body such as cartilage, ligaments and tendons. Chondroitin supplements  appear to increase the hyaluronic acid, an important part of the synovial fluid  which is what lubricates joints. It also decreases pain and  swelling.

• MSM, which is methyl sulphynol methane, is a natural sulphur compound.  Sulphur is a fundamental mineral used by the body to maintain the immune system,  balance hormones, control the activity of enzymes and promote healthy joint  function. Some research implies MSM can improve the flexibility of joints, while  minimizing pain and swelling. It is thought to be able to reduce and soften scar  tissue  and break down calcium deposits while improving  circulation.

Effects

Glucosamine chondroitin MSM improves the consistency of the synovial or  lubricating fluid in joints. It reduces the swelling in the joint and decreases  the associated pain. It enhances the body's ability to repair cartilage and  other connective tissues and improves flexibility. The effects of the three  supplements working together is greater than if only one or two compounds were  taken.

This is just a cut and paste from the internet but this is basically what the dr told me.  When I was having so many problems with my elbow, he gave me a shot of cortizone in the tendon of my elbow and told me to start taking the glucosamine...forever.

It may not work for you, just a thought.

2013-01-02 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Dina, congrats on the biking...lol

As far as brands, I get whatever is on sale.  We normally get coupons for 25% off a CVS drug stores if ya'll hve them up there.  It does get expensive but I have gotten it at the vitaminshoppe which is on-line and in town.  Any pharmacy has them just be sure they have the 3 ingredients.

Again, I am not recommending it but I use it....but I'm old too!!!

2013-01-02 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4557606

User image

Expert
MI
Karl, I may have missed it. What was wrong with your elbow, and what part of the elbow was affected?  Was that from lifting?  Do you still have problems now?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119