BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-02-10 3:19 PM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED
Good job, KC! Looks like you are sticking with your plan! The miles and power will come

2014-02-10 3:22 PM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Regular
I am back from ice fishing...we got skunked Not a single solid bite even. However, I got to see some friends and had some relaxation I apologize for me being a little antognistic the last few weeks. I realized I was hanging on to some "garbage" and had to let go and move on.

I took 4 days off of training.Heading to the gym shortly for run and some arm/back strength.

Looking forward,

Todd
2014-02-10 4:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Originally posted by kcgolf

Hey whats up? Is everyone napping?

Swim at 4 followed by a run then curling tonight.

KC

Just woke up from one. Planning my year. My first A race is likely the Iron Abe Half IM on July 27.

Started my hill repeats on the treadmill and had to quit after 10 mins. The hip was so sore. So I decided to do a recovery bike and rode for 30 minutes. I felt good after warming it up so went back to the treadmill for 3 X 7 mins with 2 mins @ 1%, 2 mins @ 2% and 1 minute each at 3, 4 and 5%. Then I did kettlebells for 30 minutes including 100 one arm swings and 50 squats. Also did some stretching exercises including a thing called the frog. Spread your legs while on your knees and rock. OMG. But I suspect it's good for the hip. I feel good after 30 bike, 40 run and 30 strength and 120 nap. HA!

Swam yesterday with the coach. Worked on the catch without pulling with power until my recovering arm was at the cheek and the pulling arm was nearly at my shoulder. Then roll, roll, roll, roll. Think hip down, hip, hip, hip. Really helped with the glide, roll and forward propulsion. Naurally it tossed the breathing off. Every new drill does. But it will come together well I am sure.

Back to planning the training year.
2014-02-10 4:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Originally posted by ettringite23

I am back from ice fishing...we got skunked Not a single solid bite even. However, I got to see some friends and had some relaxation I apologize for me being a little antognistic the last few weeks. I realized I was hanging on to some "garbage" and had to let go and move on.

I took 4 days off of training.Heading to the gym shortly for run and some arm/back strength.

Looking forward,

Todd

I'm an outdoor writer. I wrote for my newspaper as outdoor editor for the last 2 years before my retirement 2 years ago. I still write with a guy named Ted Takasaki, walleye pro. Have for 20 years. Tough on the fishing. Where are you? What lakes? What species?

Edited by IceManScott 2014-02-10 4:13 PM
2014-02-10 5:50 PM
in reply to: IceManScott

User image

Another solid week of training, on to week 5!
pros- upped my average per mile pace on the bike, had a strong swim TT, got in 3 strength training sessions, and did at least 10 minutes of abs 6 out of 7 days
cons (need improvement)- need to work on run pacing/cadence, continue working on getting my nutrition dialed in, get my fit done so I can get used to my new bike!

Hope everyone has a great week!

Helen
2014-02-10 7:14 PM

User image

Regular
I grew up in Minnesota..so I do most of my fishing back there. I have fished Mille Lacs for many years; with this year being the worst. We were not the only ones not catching anything; only a couple reports of a select few BIG walleyes caught but not much else. We plan on retiring from Mille Lacs and moving on to Lake of the Woods next year. I will likely fish LotW this summer I am by no means a good fishermen (same goes for being a triathelete) but I enjoy the relaxation and commraderie that come with it.

Looking forward,
Todd

2014-02-10 7:15 PM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Regular
Awesome Helen!
2014-02-11 9:20 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Todd - sorry you were not successful in catching any fish but glad you made the most of it and had some fun.

KC

Looking forward,

Todd
2014-02-11 9:20 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
IceMan - how is the hip?

KC

Originally posted by IceManScott

Hey whats up? Is everyone napping?

Swim at 4 followed by a run then curling tonight.

KC

Just woke up from one. Planning my year. My first A race is likely the Iron Abe Half IM on July 27.

Started my hill repeats on the treadmill and had to quit after 10 mins. The hip was so sore. So I decided to do a recovery bike and rode for 30 minutes. I felt good after warming it up so went back to the treadmill for 3 X 7 mins with 2 mins @ 1%, 2 mins @ 2% and 1 minute each at 3, 4 and 5%. Then I did kettlebells for 30 minutes including 100 one arm swings and 50 squats. Also did some stretching exercises including a thing called the frog. Spread your legs while on your knees and rock. OMG. But I suspect it's good for the hip. I feel good after 30 bike, 40 run and 30 strength and 120 nap. HA!

Swam yesterday with the coach. Worked on the catch without pulling with power until my recovering arm was at the cheek and the pulling arm was nearly at my shoulder. Then roll, roll, roll, roll. Think hip down, hip, hip, hip. Really helped with the glide, roll and forward propulsion. Naurally it tossed the breathing off. Every new drill does. But it will come together well I am sure.

Back to planning the training year.
2014-02-11 9:21 AM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Nice work Helen.

KC

Originally posted by mtrunner6

Another solid week of training, on to week 5!
pros- upped my average per mile pace on the bike, had a strong swim TT, got in 3 strength training sessions, and did at least 10 minutes of abs 6 out of 7 days
cons (need improvement)- need to work on run pacing/cadence, continue working on getting my nutrition dialed in, get my fit done so I can get used to my new bike!

Hope everyone has a great week!

Helen
2014-02-11 9:22 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
GO CANADA

(medalcount.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
medalcount.jpg (41KB - 3 downloads)

2014-02-11 9:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

IceMan - how is the hip?

KC

[

I ran yesterday. Started walking for the dynamic warmup and after 10 minutes quit. Hip ws really sore. So switched to a recovery bike and after 30 minutes felt good so went back and did my 30 min hill repeats with 3 X 7 mins from 1 to 5% at IM to oly pace. Felt good. Then k bells. So it is weird. I think sometimes that ball of the hip rubs a nerve and it hurts. Usually though Celebrex and Real Time Pain Relief keeps it under control. I am signing up for a half IM flat close to home at the end of July. I have a sprint at the end of May. So we shall see. Thanks for asking.

Edited by IceManScott 2014-02-11 9:26 AM
2014-02-11 10:10 PM
in reply to: #4920811

User image

Also had poor luck on the ice. One fish but not a keeper. First workout back. Felt sluggish after all the beer and pizza. The Y gave me another week long membership for $10.
2014-02-11 10:42 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Chicago
Got some good swimming in yesterday and today. Finally after having to much work at work and a car that decided to not work anymore.

I guess I will look at last week as a recovery week and look to get to a good start this week. So far so good. My Achilles are still doing well but I'm worried about the next coming weeks because I will be putting in some longer runs in order to get ready for my HM coming up next month.

I realized that I missed a lot of post and some I do not want to touch "red speedo" but hopefully everyone's training is coming a long.

Cheers!
2014-02-14 5:47 AM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Good Morning Team.

I am heading to northern Ontario for the weekend to do some skiing. Have a swim to get in first. I will be back Monday. Have a great weekend everyone. I hope everyone is enjoying the Olympics.

KC
2014-02-14 7:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

The week went well for me. I did 4X bike, including hill repeats and speed work. Fr one session I used another Enduance Film video Florida. It is supposed to be flat there but opened with 5 X hill repeats and then sped intervals. Harsh but a great workout. Nice having someone else tel me what to do once a week.

Swim went well yesterday. Working on stroke timing. Really makes a difference when you roll at the right time and use all of the muscles across your the front and core rather than just arms. Longer, faster, smoother, not harder. Gliding is natural but not over done.

Running club's program starts Wednesday. Went to a meeting for mentors last Wednesday. Looking forward to using some of the things I've learned to help others a bit and give back.

My runs have been good. After that glitch at the start of one run this week, taking time to warm the hip up on the bike then returning to the workout, I got a reason to be optimistic. I can work around this arthritis and make a strong finish on the run despite it, I think.

I did about half of the studies and testing I need to do over the next two years to be recertified. That was a good thing to start that process now. I have been taking on line seminars and watching DVDs on swim, bike and run training, mostly form training, and testing. On was on Galoway and his run-walk method. I read the books, now heard what he has to say. All good. I'm also nearly done with a required webinar on coaching kids and watching for bullying, harassment etc. The same techniques can be applied to coaching adults. Watching how you say things is critical to enjoyment for everyone in the sport.

Basically immersed in the triathlon and coaching thing. Lovin' it.

Rest day. Taking Kathy to breakfast and later a movie and dinner for Valentine's Day. Luck man here.

2014-02-14 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Happy Friday!

Just popping in here to say hi! Glad everyone's training is going well.

Had a major snow storm here in the South Carolina this week and now I am waiting for it to melt so I can get outside and run as I am so tired of being stuck inside. It is suppose to be nice and warm here next week and I will be in San Francisco for work. Oh well.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Kathy (KTC)
2014-02-14 6:17 PM

User image

Regular
Headed to the gym...yes, on Valentines Day I am hoping it is relatively quiet in there...going to use my Go Pro to video some swimming

For those of you with significant others, enjoy your evening and celebrate your love!

Catch you all later!

Todd
2014-02-14 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4948107

User image

Kenmore, Washington
After two weeks of travel I am back. I've been eating out every day and had constant access to Panera pastries and sandwiches, but amazingly only gained 2 lbs.

After putting a solid 500 miles on my Saucony Crossfire running shoes I treated my self to a new pair of Brooks Ghost GTXs. The Brooks outlet was clearing them out for $30 a pair, down from $130 MSRP :-) I used the savings to buy a running jacket and thermal. Very tempted to go buy a second pair.

Yesterday was a hilly 2 miles, today was a quick 1300y swim, and tomorrow will be a 2000y swim followed by a 5k run. I'm still disrespecting the bike. I know I need to get back in the saddle but just cannot find the time. Maybe on Sunday unless I go snowboarding.
2014-02-15 8:48 AM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

For those working on stroke mechanics. Swim Smooth has a ramp test done with a wetronone, You need a friend to count strokes and time you. Helps to se if you might be over gliding or struggling too much.

http://www.swimsmooth.com/ramptest.html

I got in the pool again Thursday and did 2000. Felt smooth. Felt quick. Adding endurance. Another lesson on Sunday. All drills there or just about. Mostly three-quarter catch up. Popping well with the hips. Kick getting under control again. I was kicking to hard with the right to over compensate for the left. Felling on top of the water, good form, good catch, not pulling until the other arm is ready to drive forward. Rolling well.

Bike is really strong. Still using my peak FTP from last year and having no problem hitting the numbers. One of these days I'll test.

Run club mentoring starts Wednesday. They are doing a base test. 2 miles. I will likely just do 3 miles. Weather is supposed to warm this week. Hope to get out for 5 next weekend.

Bike, speed/hill work on the treadmill, and strength today. Bike and swim tomorrow.
2014-02-15 10:55 AM

User image

Still on vacation. Have managed to get two days in the pool, two on the bike, and three on the treadmill. NH had a few decent snow storms and did a little light snow shoeing with my son, and tons of playing in the snow with both kids. Even found my old running snowshoes (Redtail, redfethers). Did a bike/run brick this morning and felt really strong. Did a short 5 min tempo on the run. 21 days till my sprint. Really need to figure out the swim but feel pretty good about everything else. I find the bike boring but hope that will change when I can get outside. Might try to get a swim in tonight or tomorrow before my flight. May not be enough time. Bottom line is I have been consistent, and I am very happy with that.

Weekly totals 2200y swim, 21.26m bike, and 10.37m run. Heading into a recovery week next week.

Nate

2014-02-15 5:30 PM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Kenmore, Washington
I did a 2000 yard workout in the pool today and had all kinds of trouble getting propulsion from my kick. I decided to do a few simple kick w/ board drills to cool down and became very frustrated. I did a flutter kick with feet close together, stayed relaxed, stretched out, etc., but I was barely moving. Each length took over a minute to cover. I couldn't feel the water well and finally started stalling

So I got angry, pushed off the wall and kicked big and hard with no though for staying relaxed. I powered my way across the pool in 30 seconds!!! I don't know how I did it. That is fifteen seconds faster than my previous PR.

I then took a short break, concentrated on the feel of that strong kick, and sprinted across the pool kicking for all I was worth. I was rewarded with 25 yards in 15 seconds + a calf cramp :-)

2014-02-16 9:06 AM

User image

Regular
Quick run volume question. Two weeks ago I ran 19.5 miles (4-3-4-8.5); last week I ran 13.5 (3-4-6.5) and this week I ran 15 (4-3-8). Would it be a good idea to ramp up to 19 next week? Prior to 19.5 two weeks ago, I consistently increased my distance to get to 19.

Thanks,

Todd
2014-02-16 4:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Quick run volume question. Two weeks ago I ran 19.5 miles (4-3-4-8.5); last week I ran 13.5 (3-4-6.5) and this week I ran 15 (4-3-8). Would it be a good idea to ramp up to 19 next week? Prior to 19.5 two weeks ago, I consistently increased my distance to get to 19.

Thanks,

Todd

So periodization might look at your work this way:

You ramped up to 19 miles. Great.

Then you took a recovery week at 13.5 miles. Terrific.

Then you started another three-week build with 15 miles. The 10% suggestion would put your next week at about 17-18 miles, the next week at 19 to 20 or so. What are you training for? A marathon? When?
2014-02-16 6:24 PM

User image

Regular
Half-marathon in mid-april. After the half-marathon, I hope to maintain some level of base and build my biking for my HIM in July.

Thanks,
Todd
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED POSTS

Team Trisuppo - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34

Started by trisuppo
Views: 30794 Posts: 838

2014-05-16 3:19 PM jackiep
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.