BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-06-10 6:22 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open

Good info on running heart rates. Whenever a friend asks me about run training I always respond: "Run often, mostly easy".

June workout update: Bike commute and 6 mile run at lunch for a double workout day. Not sure what my count is at the moment, I'll update it at the end of the week

2014-06-10 9:16 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Thanks for the advice on shorts! As I'm sitting here watching the Spurs whoop up on the Heat (hope I didn't just jinx it) I saw a commercial for Coors LIght Summer Brew?!? So who is going to be the first to try it? Do you have to drink it warm like the regular Coors light punishment? I just can't imagine Coors making a good summer brew
2014-06-10 9:33 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Well said about HR Zone training, Alan!

Not sure how many readers we have out there (it's hard enough finding time to train) but I'll list a few of the books I keep on my Kindle that have helped me tremendously.  Training smart is like the wood cutter who stops to sharpen his ax.

The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing, Philip Maffetone & Mark Alan - Some think this training is dated but he explains the importance of building an endurance base (slow easy running) and how to do it.

Eating for Endurance: A Sensible Approach to Diet and Nutrition for the Endurance Athlete, Philip Maffetone - For $1.39 on Amazon why not!!  He has several other nutrition health book that are very good.

Complete Triathlon Guide, USA Triathlon - Gives more info about LT training.  Has more blah, blah, blah for someone who's done a few but very helpful for a newbie.  A-Z triathlon

The Triathlete's Bible, Joe Friel - Or just about anything from Friel

Triathlon 101, John Mora - Mora has a couple of guides for creating your own workout schedule that are very good but very detailed.  Oh, and get the book not the digital version.  Too many charts and graphs for that, trust me.

I got called into work a few nights early.  Turned my seven night shift run into ten.  It's okay though, I can better control my training and nutrition when I'm on shift.

2014-06-10 9:41 PM
in reply to: jlangene

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by jlangene Thanks for the advice on shorts! As I'm sitting here watching the Spurs whoop up on the Heat (hope I didn't just jinx it) I saw a commercial for Coors LIght Summer Brew?!? So who is going to be the first to try it? Do you have to drink it warm like the regular Coors light punishment? I just can't imagine Coors making a good summer brew

GO SPURS!  ~

Ditto on the shorts, less is more for me too!

I think the major beer manufacturers (not brewers) are attempting to compete with craft brewers.  Good luck with that....

2014-06-11 8:56 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
A few of thoughts...

First: I have a long way to go when it comes to running! Slow and steady it continues. I am working on a couch to 5k program but it is constantly being delayed or back tracked by plantar fasciitis. I have read the only real way to ‘cure’ it is total rest from running but I really don’t want to sidetrack my training and miss out on my sprint in Sep. I am doing what the PT recommends and the condition is ‘managed’ but it is always sore for 1-3 days after a run making it difficult to be consistent. Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Just keep doing what I am doing?

Second: I am at 15/28 for the challenge! Heavily weighted toward biking since I have been commuting to work but a work out is a work out right? Am I overdoing it on the bike?

Third and final How do you judge when you need a recovery day? When commuting to work by end of day 3 my legs are pretty worn out. (Commute is 13 km with a 200 m elevation change, much easier on the way in) Last week I took Thursday off the bike. As a newcomer, is comuting 5 days/week too aggressive when I am trying to get in 1-2 swims and 1-2 runs also?
2014-06-11 8:58 AM
in reply to: jlangene

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jlangene

Good evening all,
I hope everyone is well. I have a quick question regarding bike vs tri shorts. I am looking to do some longer mileages on my bike right now, I am riding without bike shorts but haven't gone farther than 25 miles or so. I understand that for longer distances it is best to wear bike shorts with padding. I am working up to try and do a century by October. Also, I am signing up for a sprint tri in August and am wondering what you wear for the swim/bike/run if there is a difference in bike shorts and tri shorts. I am looking to not spend a huge amount of money so I am wondering if I buy bike shorts for my long rides if they will work for the tri. Or vise versa, if I buy tri shorts will they work for my long rides? Also, if you have any recommendations for more reasonably priced bike or tri shorts. Thanks!

I saw that several over people have replied to your post but I just wanted to add a few quick thoughts... I think bike shorts are important but what was a real game changer for me was getting a seat that fit my large butt. According to the guy who did my fitting, I have one of the widest pair of sit bones that he had ever seen. So, the factory seat that came with my bike was way too narrow from my butt and eventually lead to a nightmare with my prostate. So it may make sense to see if your seat matches up with your sit bones because if they don't, no pair of shorts will really make you comfortable in the saddle.

I have about 5 pairs of shorts that I bike in... When training - I use my Assos Daily Worker pants. Like charles mentioned - this pair was one of the most expensive pieces of clothing I have ever bought and I don't regret it at all because I haven't had a saddle sore since. But they cost more than the suit I wore to my recent interview... My tri shorts don't have the same padding, and I only use those for races. If cost is an issue - I would find a pair of well padded bike shorts and use those for your training and your racing. Good luck!

2014-06-11 9:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Jeakins A few of thoughts... First: I have a long way to go when it comes to running! Slow and steady it continues. I am working on a couch to 5k program but it is constantly being delayed or back tracked by plantar fasciitis. I have read the only real way to ‘cure’ it is total rest from running but I really don’t want to sidetrack my training and miss out on my sprint in Sep. I am doing what the PT recommends and the condition is ‘managed’ but it is always sore for 1-3 days after a run making it difficult to be consistent. Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Just keep doing what I am doing? Second: I am at 15/28 for the challenge! Heavily weighted toward biking since I have been commuting to work but a work out is a work out right? Am I overdoing it on the bike? Third and final How do you judge when you need a recovery day? When commuting to work by end of day 3 my legs are pretty worn out. (Commute is 13 km with a 200 m elevation change, much easier on the way in) Last week I took Thursday off the bike. As a newcomer, is comuting 5 days/week too aggressive when I am trying to get in 1-2 swims and 1-2 runs also?

You have a plenty of time between now and September to get yourself ready for a Sprint. I would lay off the running for a few weeks to heal otherwise the injury will plague you all summer and potentially get worse. 

Biking that much shouldn't be an issue as long as you are fuelling your body well for quick and efficient recovery. Take a day off when you feel exhausted though.

I have a 4 tier scale that I use to assess my level of fatigue: Great, Good, Tired, Exhausted. It sounds overly simplistic but assessing yourself in such a way when you get up and then later in the day can make a big difference in determining your relative fatigue level over time. It also helps to determine how well your body is recovering and how fast. 

I have a post workout recovery ritual that I do which I find greatly helps with my ability to go hard for days at a time. 

Immediately after a workout: Banana and protein isolate followed by small meal within 2 hours after the workout (usually mixed nuts, something nutrient dense). I also do some stretching and rolling.
Before bed: An extended release protein like casein or some such thing right before I turn the lights out. That is my micro-recovery process.

Every 4th week of training I spend a week doing less frequent and/or less intense workouts to give my body some overall rest and recovery time. If I am dieting during training, I make sure that the recovery week is a non calorie-deficit week so my body is getting a full-on recovery. That is my macro-recovery process. 

Whatever you do, don't overdo it. Listen to your body. It knows when it's time to take a break. 

Edited by adempsey10 2014-06-11 9:13 AM
2014-06-11 9:19 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Originally posted by Clarkey77

[...]

I was hitting 9:30s on my last few runs and felt burnt by the end of 2-2.5. today I took it easy and finished 4.1 and felt strong and like I could have kept going. First time in three weeks that I felt pain free running.

[...]

OK, so Im still figuring out running. Im about a year in and I need some help. Sometimes after 1-2 miles I feel aweful, like I cannot go anymore. Then there is today and when I finished my plan I was jogging around the parking lot, because I felt so strong and good! It is now apparent that I have no clue!

You are running too fast. Your 5k PR is 30:30 (~10:00 pace) and you are running at 9:30. If you are using a HR monitor, use that as a tool to gauge effort, or look into Gallowy's run/walk.

Here's some prespective, for me: My HM PR is 2:01 (9:13/mile) on a relatively flat course, and 2:14 at Quassy (10:14, not flat at all), and my last race 10k was ~51:00 (8:22/mile). My 5k is probably around 22:00 right now, but it's been a while since I've ran that short.

My training pace is around 9:45 to 10:15/mile.

Here's my last long run: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/512564796. HR data was a bit wonky on the end, so disregard that.

Running is entirely an aerobic exercise - it's getting enough oxygen to the muscles to propel you forward. As you get stronger on the run, the cardio vascular strength increases, and mitochondrial density in the muscles themselves increases, and that allows you go faster at the same (or lower) energy expenditure.

Running fast doesn't make you fast - running more makes you fast. People hate running, or get it, or quit running because they sprint, not run. Until you can run a HM is less than 2:30, then I would argue that every single run should be done at a conversational pace. That's whats going to make you a better runner.

I hope I'm not coming across as a jerk or bragging here - but it is a mistake I see again and again, and it frustrates me.

Neil - So glad you brought up the issue of pace during training... Like you - I always find myself training too hard and pushing the pace. My coaches in school were from the generation that believed that if you weren't suffering - you weren't running and even though I have fought that philosophy - I can't seem to get rid of it either. Charles, as per usual, gave you an awesome response. I agree with everything he said. The one thing I would add to the discussion is the idea of lactate threshold training. Once you have spent time building your base with conversational training, you can start inserting lactate threshold training sessions into your workout schedule in order to help you improve your pace. Basically, LT workouts help your body better deal with the stresses of running at race pace by running slightly slower (10-15 seconds) than your 5K race pace. Here are two good articles. The first is what LT threshold running is and the second is how to do it. Hope this helps!

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Why-Lactate-Threshold-Is-Cru...

http://www.active.com/running/articles/what-pace-should-runners-run...
2014-06-11 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by sandishr While we are on the subject of running and heart rate, I have a question or ten...or rather just my own situation. I've been running now for just over a year....started with the C25K last March and have consistently been running 4 miles 3-4 days a week since. I have *never* been able to stay in my target HR zone while running. I'm up and out of it within a mile. I can reduce it *somewhat* with speed, but not to the point I get down into what is supposed to be my target zone. With that said--I DON'T feel awful when running, and I can clearly tell when my HR is too high and I've overdoing it...but that level is WAY above what it's "supposed" to be (my HR zones are 114-150....while running I'm around 160, and can feel I'm anaerobic at about 168). Once I stop (and walk...fast), my HR drops FAST....from 160-120 within 30 seconds easily. I'm also absolutely unable to get into my HR zone now while walking, I just can't get above 114 without seriously pushing it to the point that I'm almost running (in which case I'd rather run). I haven't tended to worry about it since I'm not feeling bad and I do have a rate at which I can tell I need to get under. I've chalked it up to being a newer runner. I wouldn't say I'm "conversational" at 160, but I can give dog commands and when it's raining and no one else is around, I confess to singing along with the ipod. I will say that rather than my HR dropping while running, I've seemed to naturally start running faster (have gone from an 11 minute mile to about 9:30 in the past year)....not been a goal in the slightest, it's just what has seemed to have happened unintentionally. Also...I don't know if it's just me, but temperature is a significant factor...my HR dropped 10 bpm almost immediately when the temperature dropped this fall...and I am definitely NOT a fair weather runner...I much prefer running in 20 degree weather than 65, although I force myself regardless.

First off, how did you determine your HR zones? Did you base them off your max HR or resting HR and how did you figure out those numbers? The best method I've come across, short of lab testing, is to first determine your functioning threshold. This is the max HR effort you can sustain before going anaerobic. You can do an FT test for running by running a flat course (a lap around the block, for example) for 30min at your maximum sustainable effort after having done a 20 twenty minute warmup. If go so hard that you need to walk, you've blown the test and will have to try again another day. Based on that you can estimate your HR zones. I suggest picking the Triathletes bible (or Going Long) by Joe Friel. His book has the zones laid out and the tests. 

If you already have a good idea of what your zones are, running in them is a matter of running slow enough to keep your HR in that zone. It may seem hard at first. When I started training with HR zones I felt like my zone 2 run was just a pinch above a brisk walk. Every once in awhile do a run at near to your FT (functioning threshold), which sounds like what you're doing every run. Training at threshold will increase your threshold so you can run faster and work your HR higher and still feel comfortable. Doing this on every run, however, will result in overtraining and peaking to early. You could also end up overtraining your body to only draw on carb and glycogen stores rather than from fat. Training slower trains your body to fuel itself more efficiently with fat stores so that you can run faster for longer periods without burning out your muscles. 

Also keep track of your RPE (rate of perceived exertion, usually a 1-10 scale, 1 being the least effort, 10 being all out heart-exploding intensity). If your HR is high and your RPE is low, then that is probably a sign of increased fitness. If your HR is low and your RPE is high, you are probably fatigued and need rest. 

As far as weather is concerned, most people will notice an increase in HR in hotter weather. This can mess up your training if aren't conscious of the temperature when you're running. 

Another awesome response! Thanks Alan! There is a lot of knowledge in this group. I'm learning a ton!
2014-06-11 9:41 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Lots of good stuff on pacing. 

Personally it took me a long time to figure out how to run slow enough to keep my HR down.  For quite some time I felt like I was almost walking.  It really made a difference though.  I could run a lot long and I did not feel worn out after my runs.  The more I train the faster that slow run is getting.    It's still really slow though.

2014-06-11 9:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Jeakins

A few of thoughts...

First: I have a long way to go when it comes to running! Slow and steady it continues. I am working on a couch to 5k program but it is constantly being delayed or back tracked by plantar fasciitis. I have read the only real way to ‘cure’ it is total rest from running but I really don’t want to sidetrack my training and miss out on my sprint in Sep. I am doing what the PT recommends and the condition is ‘managed’ but it is always sore for 1-3 days after a run making it difficult to be consistent. Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Just keep doing what I am doing?

Second: I am at 15/28 for the challenge! Heavily weighted toward biking since I have been commuting to work but a work out is a work out right? Am I overdoing it on the bike?

Third and final How do you judge when you need a recovery day? When commuting to work by end of day 3 my legs are pretty worn out. (Commute is 13 km with a 200 m elevation change, much easier on the way in) Last week I took Thursday off the bike. As a newcomer, is comuting 5 days/week too aggressive when I am trying to get in 1-2 swims and 1-2 runs also?

Jeff - I feel your pain when it comes to plantar fasciitis. I suffered from it for 20 years and it not only wrecks your training but it hurts like hell! With that said, I haven't had a serious bout with PF for two years thanks to a few things that I've added to my running. First, I almost always run on dirt. running on the roads/sidewalks are are recipe for disaster for me. Luckily, I have a cc course about 1/2 a mile from my house and I take full advantage of it. 2) I've made rolling and stretching my fascia. achilles/calf a priority. 3) I spend time each week strengthening my feet so it can better handle the weight and not put so much pressure on the fascia.

Here is some good info on stretches and strength exercises - http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/student/health/pdf/O-P/Plantar%20Fasci...

I do two other things that aren't on this sheet - I roll with a golf ball (I tried rolling with a bottle of beer - but it didn't work as well as the small golf ball). Another exercise I do is to pick up small rocks/pebbles between my toes. I even have a zip lock bag with 50 stones that I spill out on the carpet and then pick up and put in piles with muy feet. This really strengthen my feet and keeps the PF pain at bay. Good luck!

As for when to take a recovery day - listen to your body. If after a great night's sleep, you still feel tired/sore after getting up and getting dressed, then i would say take a rest day (or reduce the length and intensity of your workouts). Play around with in and record what works for you in your training log so you can see patterns and learn from them. If you get injured, you need more rest. If you feel good, then you're doing it right. Find the right balance, which I am still working on myself

Good Luck!
Dave

Edited by Qua17 2014-06-11 9:50 AM

2014-06-11 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
I just wanted to thank the group for all the help you have given me in regards to my question about dieting and nutrition.... Eating to fuel rather than eating to diet is an entirely new concept for me. I've battled my weight since my early 20's and while I've gotten good about losing weight, I haven't learned as much about nutrition to fuel my body. I've made a concerted effort to eat more and I'm finding new ways to incorporate more protein into my diet. I simply wasn't eating enough and there were a few days when I didn't get enough protein (about a third of the time, I was eating less than 40 grams of protein when I should have been shooting for between 70 and 80).

Yesterday was proof of the benefits of eating more. I had a three hour swim/bike brick. I came into the workouts having eaten about 1800 calories (my usual was about half that) and I also increased my eating to 300 calories per hour during the workout. I had a ton of energy and had a great ride.

That's what I love about this sport. There is so much to learn. People talk about nutrition being the 4th element of triathlon and I'm really starting to believe that that's true. But nutrition is only a part of it. Pacing/stretching/recovery/strength training are also incredibily important. That's what I love about this group - I'm always learning something.

Speaking of learning something - I had a Ballast Point Sculpin IPA last night. I think I have had it before but I drank it out of a can which I'm sure I hadn't done before. It was tasty!

Have a great day everyone!
Dave
2014-06-11 10:31 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by sandishr While we are on the subject of running and heart rate, I have a question or ten...or rather just my own situation. I've been running now for just over a year....started with the C25K last March and have consistently been running 4 miles 3-4 days a week since. I have *never* been able to stay in my target HR zone while running. I'm up and out of it within a mile. I can reduce it *somewhat* with speed, but not to the point I get down into what is supposed to be my target zone. With that said--I DON'T feel awful when running, and I can clearly tell when my HR is too high and I've overdoing it...but that level is WAY above what it's "supposed" to be (my HR zones are 114-150....while running I'm around 160, and can feel I'm anaerobic at about 168). Once I stop (and walk...fast), my HR drops FAST....from 160-120 within 30 seconds easily. I'm also absolutely unable to get into my HR zone now while walking, I just can't get above 114 without seriously pushing it to the point that I'm almost running (in which case I'd rather run). I haven't tended to worry about it since I'm not feeling bad and I do have a rate at which I can tell I need to get under. I've chalked it up to being a newer runner. I wouldn't say I'm "conversational" at 160, but I can give dog commands and when it's raining and no one else is around, I confess to singing along with the ipod. I will say that rather than my HR dropping while running, I've seemed to naturally start running faster (have gone from an 11 minute mile to about 9:30 in the past year)....not been a goal in the slightest, it's just what has seemed to have happened unintentionally. Also...I don't know if it's just me, but temperature is a significant factor...my HR dropped 10 bpm almost immediately when the temperature dropped this fall...and I am definitely NOT a fair weather runner...I much prefer running in 20 degree weather than 65, although I force myself regardless.

First off, how did you determine your HR zones? Did you base them off your max HR or resting HR and how did you figure out those numbers? The best method I've come across, short of lab testing, is to first determine your functioning threshold. This is the max HR effort you can sustain before going anaerobic. You can do an FT test for running by running a flat course (a lap around the block, for example) for 30min at your maximum sustainable effort after having done a 20 twenty minute warmup. If go so hard that you need to walk, you've blown the test and will have to try again another day. Based on that you can estimate your HR zones. I suggest picking the Triathletes bible (or Going Long) by Joe Friel. His book has the zones laid out and the tests. 

If you already have a good idea of what your zones are, running in them is a matter of running slow enough to keep your HR in that zone. It may seem hard at first. When I started training with HR zones I felt like my zone 2 run was just a pinch above a brisk walk. Every once in awhile do a run at near to your FT (functioning threshold), which sounds like what you're doing every run. Training at threshold will increase your threshold so you can run faster and work your HR higher and still feel comfortable. Doing this on every run, however, will result in overtraining and peaking to early. You could also end up overtraining your body to only draw on carb and glycogen stores rather than from fat. Training slower trains your body to fuel itself more efficiently with fat stores so that you can run faster for longer periods without burning out your muscles. 

Also keep track of your RPE (rate of perceived exertion, usually a 1-10 scale, 1 being the least effort, 10 being all out heart-exploding intensity). If your HR is high and your RPE is low, then that is probably a sign of increased fitness. If your HR is low and your RPE is high, you are probably fatigued and need rest. 

As far as weather is concerned, most people will notice an increase in HR in hotter weather. This can mess up your training if aren't conscious of the temperature when you're running. 

Another awesome response! Thanks Alan! There is a lot of knowledge in this group. I'm learning a ton!

That is a great post and I admit to looking up Dempseys results after reading it.

One of my best running advances was to combine recovery specific post run nutrition with enough low speed, low impact training.
2014-06-11 12:26 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

As not to be AWOL wanted to check in. got in a swim/sprint workout. 5/28. man I'm behind, but heading to NY tomorrow so I will catch up while I am there

Scott
2014-06-11 1:33 PM

User image

Thanks for the help. I haven't done any "advanced" HR calculations....am going off of my HRM (a Polar) and all of the "basic" calculations I've found on the internet...they vary somewhat, but not a whole lot. My guess just based upon how I feel is that these are off and I may need to do something else.

Generally, I don't feel bad while running at the higher rate and I don't feel fatigued afterwards. Yesterday I felt like a million bucks, in fact. I don't LIKE being at high RPE or feeling anaerobic (as I said...I can CLEARLY feel when I'm going too fast or pushing too hard), so naturally or intentionally will slow down at that point. I generally have a three day period per month where I feel like crap running, but quite frankly it is so consistent that I'm certain it's hormonal.

When you say that high temperatures can mess up your training...what do you mean? Really...I hate even mild temperatures to exercise in. However, the tri I will be doing is likely to be in VERY warm weather, so my plan had been to intentionally do some warmer weather workouts over the coming month (not getting up at dawn to do them while it's still cool out). And realistically, if I decide I love this sport I probably would only be racing in warmer weather, as I have Reynaud's and I'm just not going to be able to bike from November through March.
2014-06-11 2:06 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Also just wanted to add....I'm not really "racing" at this point. My plan is to finish! LOL! I've got some mental goals, but finishing is THE goal.

Ditto for most of my running. I'm not focusing on going faster, I'm just running at a natural pace and trying to stay comfortable doing this. When I do enter races, I'm way more focused on the experience than the outcome. While I've gotten faster (quite a bit so), it's not intentional.

2014-06-11 3:04 PM

User image

Originally posted by sandishr Thanks for the help. I haven't done any "advanced" HR calculations....am going off of my HRM (a Polar) and all of the "basic" calculations I've found on the internet...they vary somewhat, but not a whole lot. My guess just based upon how I feel is that these are off and I may need to do something else. Generally, I don't feel bad while running at the higher rate and I don't feel fatigued afterwards. Yesterday I felt like a million bucks, in fact. I don't LIKE being at high RPE or feeling anaerobic (as I said...I can CLEARLY feel when I'm going too fast or pushing too hard), so naturally or intentionally will slow down at that point. I generally have a three day period per month where I feel like crap running, but quite frankly it is so consistent that I'm certain it's hormonal. When you say that high temperatures can mess up your training...what do you mean? Really...I hate even mild temperatures to exercise in. However, the tri I will be doing is likely to be in VERY warm weather, so my plan had been to intentionally do some warmer weather workouts over the coming month (not getting up at dawn to do them while it's still cool out). And realistically, if I decide I love this sport I probably would only be racing in warmer weather, as I have Reynaud's and I'm just not going to be able to bike from November through March.

If you feel comfortable at your pace and aren't having any problems, you're probably okay for now. I trained without using HR zones properly for years when I was doing marathon running. I just ran at whatever pace felt good. I must say, however, that in 7 years I was never able to beat my half marathon PB until I started training with HR. 

By temperature messing up training I just mean that hotter temperatures can cause your HR to be slightly elevated. If you are not aware of this, it can throw your analysis off. You could be running in cooler temps with a BPM of 120 and RPE of 5 at 8min/km. Then you go out for a run on the first hot day of the year and all of a sudden you now have a BPM of 130 at the same pace and RPE, you might think something is wrong or you're fatigued. In reality, it is just your body's natural reaction to the heat. My wife hates running in hot weather, she much prefers training in cold weather. I am the complete opposite, I operate much better in the heat than the cold. 

2014-06-11 4:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

A short 1600y in the pool (I hit the STOP button instead of the LAP button on the new 910XT and missed about 500 yards of it).   Then leg strength training.  Nothing and I mean nothing is better for both the prime movers and the synergist muscles like squats!  5 sets of 15 with 60 sec rest to start!.  I feel good!  Nah nah, nah nah, nah!  Now, time to get ready for work.  /sigh

2014-06-11 4:19 PM

User image

I'd second EVERYTHING Dave said about PF. I didn't officially have that, but did develop a metatarsal injury in February. Went to a good physical therapist who basically said everything about it was a precursor to PF and I was going to be very prone to developing it. She gave me all the same exercises as Dave, along with a few others. One included very, very deep tissue massage of my foot before running. Basically, warming it up. Not the super sore area, but the surrounding area (in my case the ball of the foot was sore, so I focused on massaging the arch). I could FEEL the scarring and injured area once I started this. Also a lot of stretching, and immediately after running and stretching, icing the foot for 2 minutes with constant application to the sore area. Literally, two ice cubes rubbed gently on the ball of the foot for two minutes, one foot after another. It's freezing but super effective. My injury is basically healed but I still do this before and after every run. And you can't stretch too much.

I also highly recommend being persistent with physical therapy. My PT not only worked on the issue and gave me the exercises, stretches, and also super deep tissue massage, she evaluated the need for orthotics (I don't need them as I have zero pronation but apparently I'm in the 5% category of the rest of the world), as well as evaluated my running style. Lots of feedback, much of which was just good for me as a runner, injury aside.
2014-06-11 4:23 PM

User image

>By temperature messing up training I just mean that hotter temperatures can cause your HR to be slightly elevated. If you are not aware of this, it can throw your analysis off. You could be running in cooler temps with a BPM of 120 and RPE of 5 at 8min/km. Then you go out for a run on the first hot day of the year and all of a sudden you now have a BPM of 130 at the same pace and RPE, you might think something is wrong or you're fatigued. In reality, it is just your body's natural reaction to the heat. My wife hates running in hot weather, she much prefers training in cold weather. I am the complete opposite, I operate much better in the heat than the cold. 

LOL. I detest running in the heat with a passion I can't describe. There is nothing pleasant about my RPE over 65 degrees. Really...only the promise of beer and the threat of those empty calories keeps me at it in the summer. Good to know it's normal.
2014-06-11 5:08 PM

User image

Gear question.

Planning on buying a wetsuit. Advice or feedback on style? Arms, no arms, legs, no legs?

I had my eye on this one: http://www.rei.com/product/832803/nrs-30-farmer-jane-wetsuit-womens

just because it has a front zipper which seems convenient to me, but I also note that it's under paddling gear...I really know nothing about this and don't know if the material makes a difference, anything?

Also--I really have a terrible time with goggles. Everything seems to leak...I don't know if it's my face shape or what. Any insight there? I HAVE to have goggles that work as I have 20/700 vision and wear contacts. So I need to make sure my contacts stay in, because if they don't I'm completely blind. I'll be doing the tri almost certainly in hot, blazing sun and I definitely will be training in sun, so I'm assuming something shaded would be good?

2014-06-11 5:31 PM

User image

Originally posted by sandishr Gear question. Planning on buying a wetsuit. Advice or feedback on style? Arms, no arms, legs, no legs? I had my eye on this one: http://www.rei.com/product/832803/nrs-30-farmer-jane-wetsuit-womensjust because it has a front zipper which seems convenient to me, but I also note that it's under paddling gear...I really know nothing about this and don't know if the material makes a difference, anything? Also--I really have a terrible time with goggles. Everything seems to leak...I don't know if it's my face shape or what. Any insight there? I HAVE to have goggles that work as I have 20/700 vision and wear contacts. So I need to make sure my contacts stay in, because if they don't I'm completely blind. I'll be doing the tri almost certainly in hot, blazing sun and I definitely will be training in sun, so I'm assuming something shaded would be good?

I would not recommend the Farmer Jane suit. These suits are not designed for swimming or triathlons. They're strictly meant to provide some warmth in a kayak. One the cheaper wetsuits that is still good is the Aquasphere Pursuit. Another option is to buy one second hand from a shop that does rentals. They often sell off their previous season's rental line at around this time of year. If you can try it on first, that is best. If you can't always go with the size that matches your weight over what matches your height. It's okay if suits are a little short and most can be cut if a little long. You want something this is relatively tight fitting. It should feel almost too tight when you put it on dry (they get bigger in the water). If it is too loose it will fill up with water and you will lose any benefit of wearing one. 

As for legs and arms, that's really preference and necessity. In colder water, you want arms and legs but you can still use a full suit in warm weather. No arms provides more range of motion for your stroke but also decreases buoyancy and glide slightly. I prefer a full suit because some of the Tris I do are early in the season when the water is still pretty chilly so I like the extra warmth. Even in hot weather, some Tris are at altitude, which means cold water even in July. 

As for goggles, that's a tricky one. Often I find that folks try to wear the straps too tight thinking that will provide a better seal, this actually has the opposite effect. You should be able to suction them to your face and go under water without even putting the strap on. If your having issues with that, it's probably just a matter of finding a pair that fits you correctly. If you have a small face or closely spaced eyes, try children's goggles. Otherwise just keep trying until you find something that works.

2014-06-11 5:36 PM

User image

, Vermont
Hi Sandi,

I too am a contact wearer and to boot I have a small head. My current goggles are old Speedos I am going to toss - they have the old foam around the eye cup and have started to leak. I have since been using my son's Aqua Sphere goggles (fantastic product - I'm going to steal his). He has the Kayenne model - slightly smaller. They make many different ladies models as well. I love training in them so far.
check out
http://www.aquasphereswim.com/us/products/eye-protection/ladies

I know others will chime in with more experience than I have but watch the wetsuits - make sure it's tri specific - they're made differently. Tri wetsuits actually keep the water out versus regular wetsuits that allow some water in and use that water in conjunction with your body heat to keep you warm. That would be like swimming with some clothes on versus the tri specific wetsuit. Active.com has Xterra suits for a very reasonable price right now - I just ordered one with sleeves for $170 (right now they're on sale for $160). They also have sleeveless.
As I said, I'm new to tris but have been swimming for years so others with more tri experience will probably have more/better info for you.

9/28 - mtn bike ride for 51 minutes.

Cheers,
Jenn
2014-06-11 5:53 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Jenn, I bought a pair of Aquasphere and they are okay if there is no motion in the water, but a single wave and the water comes flowing in.

I'm thinking I'll just go to REI and buy several different kinds/pairs and try them all out. Sigh. I do have somewhat closely set eyes, so maybe children's would work. It feels to me like it's more the depth of the set of my eye--water tends to come in between my nose and eye.

Thanks to both of you for the input on the wetsuits. I do think I want a full body one because the lake I'll be swimming in is f'ing freezing. It looks like there's one at REI, if it doesn't fit there is also a triathlon store near me I can go try to shop at. I can already tell I'll be right in between sizes so am going to need to try something on rather than order online since it sounds like fit is pretty important.
2014-06-11 5:57 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Hi Sandi, I too am a contact wearer and to boot I have a small head. My current goggles are old Speedos I am going to toss - they have the old foam around the eye cup and have started to leak. I have since been using my son's Aqua Sphere goggles (fantastic product - I'm going to steal his). He has the Kayenne model - slightly smaller. They make many different ladies models as well. I love training in them so far. check out http://www.aquasphereswim.com/us/products/eye-protection/ladiesI know others will chime in with more experience than I have but watch the wetsuits - make sure it's tri specific - they're made differently. Tri wetsuits actually keep the water out versus regular wetsuits that allow some water in and use that water in conjunction with your body heat to keep you warm. That would be like swimming with some clothes on versus the tri specific wetsuit. Active.com has Xterra suits for a very reasonable price right now - I just ordered one with sleeves for $170 (right now they're on sale for $160). They also have sleeveless. As I said, I'm new to tris but have been swimming for years so others with more tri experience will probably have more/better info for you. 9/28 - mtn bike ride for 51 minutes. Cheers, Jenn

Unless it is a "dry" suit, all "wet" suits let water in. Triathlon / swimming wetsuits are designed to be more buoyant (especially in the legs) and smooth for low drag. In comparison, a wetsuit for surfing (I have one of each) is designed to be durable instead of smooth.

As for the arm/armless debate: I was leaning towards armless however I went full sleeve due to the cold Pacific waters I swim in. I don't find my range of motion limited at all. Speaking of which, I have my weekly OWS after work today! Hopefully the water will be at least 60*

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51173 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19842 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.