Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 34

2007-04-16 4:57 PM
in reply to: #762592

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: COgirl's Group - FULL

Trimomnewbe - 2007-04-16 6:25 AM Hi Cathy! Hope you had a nice trip-- and slept through the night! No bike yet, I started to have a panic attack about what type of bike to get-- I tried craigslist and local bike shops and am still getting prices in the mid 4's--- I thought I'd get an EL'Cheapo bike this year-- that way if I decide this is something I want to do every year I'll get a "real" bike next year. I still need to learn to ride the thing-- how do the gears work? Oh, boy I'm in for it. I'm actually thinking about getting a hybrid- transition bike (whatever they are called) thin tires- straight across bars. I have to say I'm a bit scared of the racing bike. I am I over thinking this? I kinda want my pink Huffy with the banana seat. My Tri is on July 22 (your son's first birthday?) and I'm feeling a bit behind in my training. I'm going to look up some training plans on BT. Huge storm in the East this this week- Rain and high winds. Just love April in MA. Melissa

Hybrids are good...lighter than mtn bikes.  And you could still use it later for dirt paths or something. 

shifting....well....it totally depends.  Most road bikes have "STI" shifting where it is along with the brakes.  I think the road bike you are talking about has "downtube" shifters, so you'd have to take one hand off the handlebars to move the shifter. 

7/22, yep that is ryan's birthday....and I'm doing a race that day too.  LOL!  We'll celebrate his birthday the day before anyway.  You have plenty of time to get ready for that race, just keep going and moving forward! 

2007-04-16 4:59 PM
in reply to: #763673

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

YIPEE! That is awesome, so what month is IMCda in? Will that be your first full IM?

It's at the end of June (next year!) and yes that will be my first IM.  It's in Coeur d'Alene in northern Idaho.  Should be fun, I think

2007-04-16 8:52 PM
in reply to: #641608

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Cathy,
Thanks for the information about the number of candences for bike riding. Currently I am riding just 7 miles 3-4 times a week. It takes me 30 minutes to complete the 7 miles (although it is made up a lot of hills). Am I better to find a flatter route or continue at a slower pace and work the hills?

I'm amazed that you work full time, have two children, go to school full time, and have time to respond to everyone's questions. It has been so helpful to read everyone's suggestions/questions. I just returned to full time after having been part time for the last 8 years. I feel a little overwhelmed with working full time, having 3 children, and properly preparing for my first tri.

Thanks for answering all of my questions.

2007-04-16 9:06 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Weather this weekend was awful. Did not get my brick in for the wind was way too strong to take a bicycle out in. Bummer. I was really hoping to get one in before the race on the 5th, but it is not looking good. Might have to try and do one after work one day. Yuck!

Luckily the race on the 5th is for first time triatheletes. So we will all be trying our hand at this for the first time. My husband and sister are going to do it with me. I worry about my husband for he is not a swimmer and hasn't even managed to do the 16 laps in the pool.

I know the water is going to be cold. Lake water in May. hopefully it will make me want to swim faster to get out of the water.

No matter what, I know it is going to be fun! Hopefully I will learn a lot from this one to make me better for the second one.

Getting poison ivy last week did not help any either. When I was training for the century a couple of years ago, I also got poison ivy. Hmmm, I wonder if someone is trying to tell me something.

I'm done rambling on. I have really enjoyed our group. Thanks for being there girls.
2007-04-16 9:20 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Kendra - that is really exciting that your first race is coming up in a few weeks! Have you done a brick before? Going from the bike to the run is a strange feeling! Good luck on getting one in before race day.

Becki - I certainly understand the feeling of being overwhelmed with 3 kids and trying to prepare for a triathlon! How old are your kids? Plus working full time, that is tough! Just try to fit the workouts in whenever you can and remember that you are doing this for you and for your kids. Being a strong healthy mother sets such a great example. I am amazed at how my 8 year old daughter now talks about fitness and is really looking forward to her first mini tri on May 13th.

Melissa - You still have PLENTY of time to train! So just keep at it!

I had my last session with my trainer before my olmpic distance tri this coming Sunday. I am a little nervous, but she had some great tips on warm up and nutrition. I am just trying to remind myself to go out and have fun. 

2007-04-17 11:14 AM

User image

New user
Cathy-
Everytime I run more than 8 miles, my stomach completely flips out at me and I start getting really bad stomach pain. I'm good during the 8 miles, then between 8-9 miles, is when my stomach starts hurting. I try slowing my pace a bit, but that never helps. Tried belly breathes - helps a little. I realize that eating gu makes it worse (guessing it's the sugar). But what am I supposed to eat for quick carbs if sugar is turning my stomach? Can I do 13 miles with no food or will I hit the wall? PS - I also know high protein also turns my stomach during races - no PB sandies for me

Edited by kaciphiz 2007-04-17 11:26 AM

2007-04-17 8:09 PM
in reply to: #764107

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Texmom,
My kids are 11, 9, and 6. I get most of my workouts done at 5 am before anyone is awake. Then I add biking in the early evening a couple of times a week. I'm a teacher so once school is done, my summer will allow for more training.

When is your olympic tri taking place? That's going to be quite an accomplishment. Good luck. How long did you meet with a trainer?
2007-04-17 10:04 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Becki:  I think you are better off doing those hills, they make you strong!

Kaci:  hmm, what else have you tried for nutrition?  Other options besides gels might be Sport Beans or Clif Shot Bloks or Sharkies.  Are you following the gels with water?  Water is best....if you follow your gels with gatorade or similar, it screws up the absorption and you'll get GI issues.  Unfortunately, it's one of those things that requires practice....trying different things until you find what works!  One last thought would be to try different drinks....like Accelerade that has some protein in it.  I DO think you'd either bonk or really feel super crappy if you did a 1/2 mary without some type of nutrition!  Let me know what else you have tried.

How's training going everyone?  I'm in the process of rearranging this week's plan.....going to Breckenridge for the last ski weekend of the season!

2007-04-17 10:29 PM
in reply to: #765626

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

teachertrek - 2007-04-17 8:09 PM Texmom, My kids are 11, 9, and 6. I get most of my workouts done at 5 am before anyone is awake. Then I add biking in the early evening a couple of times a week. I'm a teacher so once school is done, my summer will allow for more training. When is your olympic tri taking place? That's going to be quite an accomplishment. Good luck. How long did you meet with a trainer?

Becki - My olympic tri is this weekend. I only met with a trainer for 4 sessions of 30 min each. I plan to do more in preparation for a Half Ironman that I signed up for next October. I am not sure what came over me when I signed up for a HIM, but it sure has given me motivation for training! I have only done 3 sprints before and I am NOT speedy, but I am just shooting to finish and have fun.

Good for you for getting in workouts at 5 am! I have tried working out early, but it never seems to work. Thankfully my gym has good childcare, and my husband and I switch with childcare often.  

2007-04-18 7:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi everyone-

Things are going well here just extremely busy as most of youknow with grad school, kids, and work. I have been unable to run any amount because of severe hip pain after I do. I am making an appointment with a PT to talk about it. Other than that things are okay. I am trying not to talk myself out of the Tri in June.....I am guessing at worse I can walk the 5K part of it.

I am not sure who is looking for a bike in here but I have a good friend who has a Quita Roo 56 CM to unload for $250. It is a great bike I will try to get a pic in here. It is 56 cm. He broke his back in Jan and not sure when or if he will ride again .

Anyhow hope everyone has a GREAT week! I have an OPEN WATER 750 meter swim at Lake Norman this Saturday. I am nervous. No wetsuit water is between 72 and 75 degrees.

Heather
2007-04-18 7:33 AM

User image

Veteran
SC

Jill, Good Luck on your OLY this weekend!  That is awesome.  I hope I can do an OLY someday.  Are you still working out before your race or do you take a break right before it?

Becki, Wow, 5 am good for you.  My dh goes to the gym at that early hour. 

Melissa, Good luck on your bike search.  I just bought mine last month.  I bought a Flite 300 and I paid about $600.  I also bought clipless pedals, bag with spare tire and a bottle cage.

I'm going for a 20 mi training ride this am with my tri buddy.  She has done tris in the past.  She just had a baby 10 weeks ago and you could never tell she just had a baby. 

Hope everyone's training is going well!

Mel  

2007-04-18 2:33 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Heather, I am sorry about the hip!  What a bummer!  You are already doing what I would have suggested at this point, which is get it checked out!  You have been training so well, don't give up on the tri.....if you can walk it then do it!  And good luck with the OWS....man, that's the temp of the water here in August! 

Mel, hope your bike ride went well!

It is SO nice to finally have some spring weather!

2007-04-18 2:59 PM

User image

Broomfield, CO
Hello again! I got the okay from Cathy to join your group. I have a lot of catching up to do, but wanted to post another quick intro.

My name is Kateri, I live in Colorado with my husband and 3 year old daughter. This last October, I completed my masters degree in IT and found myself with a lot of extra time so I decided to take my friend up on doing a triathlon with her. My first race is June 10th and I'd like to sign up for one in July (Danskin) and one in August (Tri for the Cure). My training is going well, for the most part, but the swimming has me very nervous. It is the most difficult sport I have ever tried.

I look forward to learning and getting inspiration from you ladies and hope that I can offer support to you all as well.
2007-04-18 3:06 PM
in reply to: #767048

User image

New user
Welcome Kateri!!!
2007-04-18 3:53 PM

User image

Veteran
SC

Welcome Kateri!

Heather, I didn't read your post until I had already posted.  Are you wearing a wetsuit for the OWS at Lake Norman?  I'd like to do the one this weekend but I'm going to be riding with my group.  Did you have to register before or do you register the day of the swim?  Sorry about your hip, I'm a jog/walker so I'd be more than happy to walk with you on race day.  My goal is just to finish the race with hopefully a smile on my face.

Mel 

2007-04-18 5:24 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Jill, no, I haven’t done a brick yet. First time I tried, my bicycle brakes went out about 2 miles into the ride. So I had to walk it back. Good luck with your Olympic tri this weekend. Maybe someday I’ll aspire to one. I’ll be cheering you on while I’m at work.

Kaci, even when walking a half you need some nutrition. As Cathy said, keep trying different things until you find the combination that works. I can’t drink Gatorade or Powerade without getting sick, but I find the Propel fitness water does the trick for me. If the gu doesn’t help, what about a protein bar. Break it up into little pieces before hand that way you are not trying to bite off chunks as you run. That’s what we did on our century ride.

Heather, us walkers will be glad to have you with us. Nothing wrong with that. Hopefully the PT will be able to help you. Good luck with the open water swim. Can’t wait to hear how it goes.

Mel, hope the bike ride was fun.

Kateri, welcome to the group. Are you training with a trainer for the swim portion? My husband has been working with a swim coach to get him ready for ours on May 5th. He is in Ohio this week and he called me from the pool to say he had done 6 laps there and wanted encouragement to do more. When I talked with him later he had done 8 more laps. Luckily, our first tri will have an area in the lake where he can swim and touch bottom if necessary. I’m hoping I won’t have to use my rusty Life Guard skills during the race.

Cathy, thanks for all the words of advice and encouragement that you give to all of us. You've been a great mentor.

And a hello to the rest of you and hope all is going well in your worlds. I think I just wrote a book.

Kendra

2007-04-19 10:06 AM

User image

Broomfield, CO
Thanks for the welcome, ladies!

Kendra, I have attended one swim clinic so far. I have another clinic in a couple of weeks. I have just been doing the drills we learned in class on my own in addition to laps when I go to the pool. I have also picked up a few books. One by Terry Laughlin called Triathlon Swimming Made Easy. He discusses the Total Immersion method and it has been very helpful in trying to find my balance in the water. I just wish swimming came more naturally for me. What kinds of drills do you all do? Is/was anyone else nervous about the swimming portion?

The swimming portion of the tri I am doing in June will be done in a pool. I am feeling a little better about that so I will get more time to practice open water swimming for the tri in July. I need to look into a Total Immersion swim clinic that is done in open water. I have heard that the clinics are so valuable.
2007-04-19 11:29 AM
in reply to: #765749

User image

New user
Hi Kateri!
I haven't done a swimming event in a pool yet (with the exception of swim team as a kid!) I think Cathy gave some good advice on pool swims in tris a little while back.
For your open water swim, try and be relaxed if you can (I know - relaxed on a race day - hahaha). I'm sure that clinic will help out a lot! Good Luck!!

Cathy - thanks for the advice. I've pretty much just tried gu and sharkies. They've really worked well for me in the past with biking and running so I thought it would be the same. I read in a woman's running book that you should only drink water 2 hours before the race and not eat or drink anything until you've warmed up. They say this just happens to some people. They also said some trainers recommend an herbal suppliment before and after a race to curb the naussia (Bromelain 200). Have you heard of this? I'm definitely not trying the herbal this Sunday so don't worry!

Kendra - thanks for the advice. Yeah I can't drink those electrolyte drinks either, so I've been doing the sharkies chews, but only eating a few of them. I think I'll try the potein bar, maybe my tummy will be better with less sugar. I hate to try something new on a race day, but I'm definitely nixxing the gu for Sunday!

Jill- Good luck on your Oly!

Heather- Good luck on your OWS!

Good luck to anyone I may have missed doing an event this weekend and have a great weekend everyone!
2007-04-19 2:01 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Hello everyone!    You are all so amazing....keep up the good work.  It is so cool to see progress and everyone looking forward to events!

Kaci reminded me of this and I'm not sure if I said it before, but NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY.  Don't wear new running sneakers, don't try new nutrition or anything else new on race day! 

Kateri: seems like everyone in this group is a swimmer (well, almost )  I am NOT.  I still struggle with swimming, but I have come a LONG way.  Since you are in CO, look into BAM (boulder aquatic masters)....Jane Scott does women's swim clinics, and might do some OWS ones also.  Also think about doing a Boulder Stroke and Stride (thursday night .5-1 mile swim followed by 5K run).  They start in June.  www.racingunderground.com 

Kaci:  I have not heard of this supplement.  So I don't know what to say!  As far as not eating/drinking until warmed up....not sure that I agree, but it depends on the time of day and your nutrition up to that point.  Certainly eating too close to the start of a run can cause GI issues or side stitches.  But if you are running early in the morning, you have to eat something!  I typically have a soy shake (rice milk) or dried fruit so I have something to get my glucose up a bit.  Mornings are tough to plan as far as that goes. 

Heather, let us know about your hip! 

I'm headed to Breckenridge tomorrow for the weekend, but I'll probably still be online.  Good luck Jill and Kaci.  Zoya, do you have something coming up too?  Who else has events in April or May?  I have nothing until June!

Z
2007-04-19 2:20 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
I have a couple of sprints on May 6 and 26. I love it because get to swim in a pool. I'm so not open water person!
2007-04-19 5:39 PM

User image

MotoQueen
My goal for the tri on May 5th is to set a baseline for myself and just finish the race. Then aim to beat that in August. Still haven't decided if I am going to do the one in Sept.

So swimming wise, I follow one of the plans on beginnertriathlete.com. I modify it a little based upon how my day has been going. I figure once the first race is over, I'll know where and what I will need to focus on to improve. I know that all areas will need improvement, but I figure concentrate on one at a time. Since I more than likely will never run, then I'll have to really improve the other two areas.

Did the bike and treadmill today. Feels good.

Kendra

2007-04-19 5:43 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Cathy, or any one else who has already done a tri. Do you have any recommendations on a bag? I was looking at the Rocket Science Sports Real Joe and Jane bag. Any comments? I do like to feel organized. And how do you set up for the transition? Do you lay your stuff out, or is it still stuffed in the bag and you have to dig for it?

Kendra
2007-04-19 9:13 PM
in reply to: #769218

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

kns57 - 2007-04-19 4:43 PM Cathy, or any one else who has already done a tri. Do you have any recommendations on a bag? I was looking at the Rocket Science Sports Real Joe and Jane bag. Any comments? I do like to feel organized. And how do you set up for the transition? Do you lay your stuff out, or is it still stuffed in the bag and you have to dig for it? Kendra

Have you seen this? http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1098  It is a review on the bag done by TypeAGirlPilot

I use a bag to carry everything also....I like it.  I absolutely lay everything out before the race.  Bring an old towel to put on the ground.  Lay out your stuff on it.  Bike shoes open (un-velcro the straps), drinks on your bike, helmet and sunglasses ready to go.  Have your running shoes and socks ready for T2 and race belt with number on it. 

By the way, rules state that you must buckle your helmet before the "mount line" leaving T1.  If not you are DQ'd!  So get in the habit of doing that right away!

I'm jealous you all have early races!  I want to race!

2007-04-20 7:08 AM

User image

MotoQueen
yes, that is the Real Joe and Jane Bag that I am looking at. Price seems reasonable compared to others that I have seen.
2007-04-21 12:20 PM

User image

Mmmmmm.... when I run, my shins hurt. Is there something I can do aout this?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 34