of 22

2007-11-14 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1031468

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Subject: RE: Hard Core Tri Corps (Team 8) Thread
Thanks Yanti!

Can I have seconds? I remembered something else that has made me proud. I touched on it a bit in my logs last night, but when I was getting ready to leave the pool last night a woman told me that I swam very "pretty" for someone who was a beginner. I explained to her that I was not a complete beginner, that I was relearning, etc., and she said she was glad because if I had told her I was a beginner, she was going to immediately sign up for lessons with my hot-tri-coach guy so she could swim as well as I was. I had a huge grin on my face all the way home. When I told DH about it, he reminded me that he had said the same thing the first time he saw me swim. Said I was smooth, my head was completely down with the water flowing over it and my kicks were strong.

Edited by MrsUSMC 2007-11-14 1:25 PM

2007-11-14 1:51 PM
in reply to: #1053264

User image

Melon Presser

Second helping of SUPER CONGRATS to Terri, and probably many more ... you truly have many, many things to be proud of.

Even for re-learning, elegant technique in the pool is difficult, and you should be proud.

2007-11-14 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1053331

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-11-14 5:32 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Sandi,

The video arrived today, I'm going to try it tonight.  Will I be too sore to swim tomorrow morning?  Coach and I had a little chat, we're not fighting now...all better

2007-11-14 8:40 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Wow, that is one impressive video. Thanks for posting the info on it.  You snuck in a whole lot of push ups to get me toward my goal too...I'm just glad they were in groups of 8 cause I think I would have stopped the DVD if they were in one or 2 big sets
2007-11-14 9:26 PM
in reply to: #1053907

Champion
Taser-World
Here is a Challenge update update!

Some of the teams had issues with their spreadsheets. So here is an update to the update.

I've noticed that some of you are already at 100% of your goals! (And yet, today is only the 14th....) No one gets to record more than 100%. However, you MAY increase your goal. (I'm so nice, aren't I?)

Remaining in First Place, both for post counts AND for workouts -- Congratulations Team Twisnibbins!

Here are the team standings:
1st place - Twisnibbins 37%
2nd place- Moscateers 35%
3rd place (tie) - Wild Hippos - 32%
3rd place (tie) - 5 for Fighting 32%
5th place - Hard Core Tri Corps 27%
6th place- Turkey Terrors 26%

? place - Vigilantes - no spreadsheet posted yet

I've updated the Google Spreadsheet:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=puhAA5NRKHA3l_GNYwG3Qdg

Dee

Edited by D001 2007-11-14 9:28 PM

2007-11-14 10:47 PM
in reply to: #1050946

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

zipp1 - 2007-11-13 11:16 AM are you calling me old?  today I feel it...every bit of the 47+ years of existence on this world

Judi - I would have never in a million years guessed you were 47

you, my dear are FABULOUS!

2007-11-14 10:49 PM
in reply to: #1050937

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

MrsUSMC - 2007-11-13 11:13 AM Hi everyone! I had a lovely weekend. In my opinion there are not enough 3-day weekends in the year. It's kind of hard for me to stay off the computer and "chat" with you all It's so great to see so many posts. I'm thrilled to see Cindy posting but am sorry to see you've been ill This weekend DH and I joined 24 Hour Fitness. This is a huge step for both of us. I asked a ton of questions and I think the guy talking to us was ready to see us leave! LOL The biggest holdup on this was the initial fee and what would happen if DH is sent to Iraq or gets orders to a place that doesn't have a club. Since it was Veteran's weekend we didn't have to pay any initial fee and if DH is sent to Iraq they'll freeze his account but I get to keep going at my lower monthly fee. Plus the real winner to us is they have a 24 hour saltwater pool. I was ready to jump in that minute! So, we're now members of our very first "country" club and now I just need to find a workout partner if DH is sent away. My heel is back killing me again and I bought some innersoles for my other shoes, so I'm hoping that will fix the problem, since I can't walk around in my running shoes all day long. 9 days until my first race. Gotta stay healthy.

Terri,

so glad to here you found a gym that will work for you and the hubby!  I know you have been looking for a while

take care of that foot and we will be waiting for your first RR!

2007-11-14 11:12 PM

Expert
Encinitas
runnerg1rl7 - 2007-11-14 7:17 AM

So, hmm...that gives me an idea. We already know what Yanti's got to be HUGELY proud of herself for, but what is everyone else proud of themselves for accomplishing (tri or not tri-related) so far this year?

It's actually been a pretty tough year for me. My dog that I had grown up with since I was just 8 years old had to be put down. I was extremely close to her and I know it seems a little silly but this was one of the hardest things I ever went through in my life. Several month's later my 14 year old cousin who I used to look after during the summers when I was younger was hit and killed while riding his bicycle the day before his birthday (on a bike his parents had given him as an early birthday present). This really shook me to the bone and going through the funeral was by far the hardest and most horrible thing I had ever been through. Several months after that something happened that I am so ashamed to admit how much it affected me that I can't even talk about it but it absolutely devistated me far far more than anything else. It happened about 4 months ago now and I struggle with it every minute of every day. I am proud of myself though for not just shutting down. I am proud of myself that I'm still going and keeping positive. I'm proud that every day it does get a tiny bit better. I'm proud that even though a couple terrible things happened this year I still realize that I do live an unbelievably fortunate life with some great friends, great health, and an amazing family that loves me.

Wow, I wasn't really expecting to write all that, just kind of came out, sorry for kind of being a downer. On the positive side, that third thing that happened did cause me to lose 12-15 pounds in a single week and dropped about 2 1/2 minutes off my 5k time.
2007-11-15 1:19 AM
in reply to: #1054503

Melon Presser

ACGRAY22 - 2007-11-14 11:12 PM
runnerg1rl7 - 2007-11-14 7:17 AM So, hmm...that gives me an idea. We already know what Yanti's got to be HUGELY proud of herself for, but what is everyone else proud of themselves for accomplishing (tri or not tri-related) so far this year?
It's actually been a pretty tough year for me. My dog that I had grown up with since I was just 8 years old had to be put down. I was extremely close to her and I know it seems a little silly but this was one of the hardest things I ever went through in my life. Several month's later my 14 year old cousin who I used to look after during the summers when I was younger was hit and killed while riding his bicycle the day before his birthday (on a bike his parents had given him as an early birthday present). This really shook me to the bone and going through the funeral was by far the hardest and most horrible thing I had ever been through. Several months after that something happened that I am so ashamed to admit how much it affected me that I can't even talk about it but it absolutely devistated me far far more than anything else. It happened about 4 months ago now and I struggle with it every minute of every day. I am proud of myself though for not just shutting down. I am proud of myself that I'm still going and keeping positive. I'm proud that every day it does get a tiny bit better. I'm proud that even though a couple terrible things happened this year I still realize that I do live an unbelievably fortunate life with some great friends, great health, and an amazing family that loves me. Wow, I wasn't really expecting to write all that, just kind of came out, sorry for kind of being a downer. On the positive side, that third thing that happened did cause me to lose 12-15 pounds in a single week and dropped about 2 1/2 minutes off my 5k time.

What a terrible time, Andrew. Thank you for posting that, and I'm so sorry for your troubles. I think it's awesome that you're a part of our team, and you should be incredibly proud of yourself for "keeping on, keeping on" and tri-ing through it all.

2007-11-15 7:13 AM
in reply to: #1054600

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
TriAya - 2007-11-15 1:19 AM

ACGRAY22 - 2007-11-14 11:12 PM
runnerg1rl7 - 2007-11-14 7:17 AM So, hmm...that gives me an idea. We already know what Yanti's got to be HUGELY proud of herself for, but what is everyone else proud of themselves for accomplishing (tri or not tri-related) so far this year?
It's actually been a pretty tough year for me. My dog that I had grown up with since I was just 8 years old had to be put down. I was extremely close to her and I know it seems a little silly but this was one of the hardest things I ever went through in my life. Several month's later my 14 year old cousin who I used to look after during the summers when I was younger was hit and killed while riding his bicycle the day before his birthday (on a bike his parents had given him as an early birthday present). This really shook me to the bone and going through the funeral was by far the hardest and most horrible thing I had ever been through. Several months after that something happened that I am so ashamed to admit how much it affected me that I can't even talk about it but it absolutely devistated me far far more than anything else. It happened about 4 months ago now and I struggle with it every minute of every day. I am proud of myself though for not just shutting down. I am proud of myself that I'm still going and keeping positive. I'm proud that every day it does get a tiny bit better. I'm proud that even though a couple terrible things happened this year I still realize that I do live an unbelievably fortunate life with some great friends, great health, and an amazing family that loves me. Wow, I wasn't really expecting to write all that, just kind of came out, sorry for kind of being a downer. On the positive side, that third thing that happened did cause me to lose 12-15 pounds in a single week and dropped about 2 1/2 minutes off my 5k time.

What a terrible time, Andrew. Thank you for posting that, and I'm so sorry for your troubles. I think it's awesome that you're a part of our team, and you should be incredibly proud of yourself for "keeping on, keeping on" and tri-ing through it all.

I'm having a hard time with this one today...I'm proud I got back in the water between my second and third tris this summer.  For those who didn't know me then, I spent my second race hugging kayaks having a major panic attack in the lake.  Getting back in the pool was a challenge to overcome and my  last race of the season was also OWS-only this time a river so my goal was to get in and NOT hug a kayak or bouy through the swim I'm also proud for working things out with my swim coach the other day...we had a huge fight on Tuesday morning and were able to talk  yesterday so today's swim was FANTABULOUS. Lots of feedback in a positive way.

Andrew, I'm sorry you hit such a rough patch this year.  Just getting up and pressing on each day can be a challenge when you're having a bad time.  You've done that, somehow there really is a light at the end of the tunnel--just wish they'd stop lengthening that darn tunnel!

2007-11-15 7:15 AM
in reply to: #1054454

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
lastcall2003 - 2007-11-14 10:47 PM

zipp1 - 2007-11-13 11:16 AM are you calling me old?  today I feel it...every bit of the 47+ years of existence on this world

Judi - I would have never in a million years guessed you were 47

you, my dear are FABULOUS!

thanks, Beth...yeah I'm an old dinosaur...will be 48 in March. I'm smaller now than I was in high school and have never been in such good shape

2007-11-15 8:25 AM
in reply to: #1054503

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
ACGRAY22 - 2007-11-15 12:12 AM

It's actually been a pretty tough year for me. My dog that I had grown up with since I was just 8 years old had to be put down. I was extremely close to her and I know it seems a little silly but this was one of the hardest things I ever went through in my life. Several month's later my 14 year old cousin who I used to look after during the summers when I was younger was hit and killed while riding his bicycle the day before his birthday (on a bike his parents had given him as an early birthday present). This really shook me to the bone and going through the funeral was by far the hardest and most horrible thing I had ever been through. Several months after that something happened that I am so ashamed to admit how much it affected me that I can't even talk about it but it absolutely devistated me far far more than anything else. It happened about 4 months ago now and I struggle with it every minute of every day. I am proud of myself though for not just shutting down. I am proud of myself that I'm still going and keeping positive. I'm proud that every day it does get a tiny bit better. I'm proud that even though a couple terrible things happened this year I still realize that I do live an unbelievably fortunate life with some great friends, great health, and an amazing family that loves me.

Wow, I wasn't really expecting to write all that, just kind of came out, sorry for kind of being a downer. On the positive side, that third thing that happened did cause me to lose 12-15 pounds in a single week and dropped about 2 1/2 minutes off my 5k time.

So very sorry to hear about all that, but thank you for sharing! 2007 has been a tough year for me as well. It started with my first knee surgery on Jan 9th. Then my family's almost 14-year-old dog (we had her since she was 3 months old) had to be put down in late January, so I absolutely understand how tough it can be to lose a furry family member.

To make matters worse, when we returned from vacation in August, we discovered that my husband's 8-year-old bird (that he had since he was a hatchling) had died. Four days after that my grandmother lost her year-long battle with colon cancer. Now, of course, I'm faced with another knee surgery to close out the year.

Tri training and running have helped me get through all those things without too much turmoil, so that's another thing I'm proud of. And knowing that 2008 WILL be better helps, too.
2007-11-15 8:27 AM
in reply to: #1054649

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
zipp1 - 2007-11-15 8:15 AM

thanks, Beth...yeah I'm an old dinosaur...will be 48 in March. I'm smaller now than I was in high school and have never been in such good shape

Get out! I never woulda guessed that either! Now that's DEFINITELY something to be proud of!
2007-11-15 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1054600

Veteran
Reading, Berkshire (UK)

Andrew, I can't even imagine what your year has been like. I'm so impressed that you're keeping on going and not shutting down. You've got a huge amount to be proud of and it's great that you are recognising just how hard the challenges you've faced are, and just how much of an achievement it is to be you today.

My year has been a bit mixed. On the plus side, I have a gorgeous little girl - but it's only really since 5 months that I've been able to say that. I was really late, ended up being induced, ended up having a c-section, then a post-partum haemorrage during which my DH thought the worst. So recovery from the birth took a long time and probably contributed to the subsequent post-natal depression that I had. I know I'm lucky that I was able to get through this relatively quickly (months not years) and I'm hugely appreciative of the amazing support I have from my husband, family and friends.

I'm also really proud that I'm back in training. I knew I wanted to do this but had no idea how I would make it work with the new family time constraints. The support I get from being part of a challenge team make it so much easier to keep going (which is hard because I train on my own for the most part) - but incredibly, in the space of one month, I've restarted training, signed up for two tris next year and am about to join a local tri club.

2007-11-15 10:47 AM

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Hugs for everyone. It's been a tough year for a bunch of us. I can really relate to losing a furbaby, no matter how long you've had them. I sometimes wish the world were a smaller place so I could face-to-face meet you all. Even through (and probably because of) your trials and tribulations you remain inspiration to a lot of people.

2007-11-15 12:06 PM
in reply to: #1055094

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
MrsUSMC - 2007-11-15 11:47 AM

Hugs for everyone. It's been a tough year for a bunch of us. I can really relate to losing a furbaby, no matter how long you've had them. I sometimes wish the world were a smaller place so I could face-to-face meet you all. Even through (and probably because of) your trials and tribulations you remain inspiration to a lot of people.

Well said!

Oorah!
2007-11-15 1:02 PM

New user

I went to the Dr yesterday, finally, to have my shoulder checked out. August 27th I was playing ice hockey and fell backwards, dislocating my shoulder. I rested it for awhile and began lifting very carefully and felt that I was doing very well. I was doing Roman deadlifts of 65 lbs with an injured arm and it didn't cause any pain. Well... Tuesday night, in the middle of the night sometime, my pillow fell on the floor so I laid on my back and reached for it (this is my 2lb pillow) and as I raised in up I dislocated my arm again. I was in so much pain that I finally went to the dr yesterday. He said... "no use of arm, absolute rest. Need an MRI and some major rehab. Need to go to another doc to see if surgery is needed."
Alot of pain and alot of tears since yesterday. Very discouraging news. I don't know if that means that I am out of the sprint tri that I planned on April 6th or not. I am not accepting that at this point and will be back on the treadmill in a few days, as soon as movement does not cause such pain to shoulder.
Has anyone else out there had a similar injury? If so, how long was recovery w/o surgery? How long with surgery? I have 4 1/2 months until the sprint tri and my biggest concern is the swim. I have never swam more than 2 laps at a time and I haven't even begun to swim yet. I don't know of any pools in my area. I live in a very small mountain town. We had a club that burned down about 2-3 years ago and the new one is nearly finished. It is suppose to open sometime before the end of the year. It is/was my plan to try out the club.
Well, I will just call my year a growing year but a great year. My son got married. I got a new grandbaby and she is adorable. I have three children still at home and I homeschool them. They are awesome. My real estate investing has greatly increased this year although we have experienced growing pains. My 17 year old son just bought and sold his first investment on the same day - November 6th! That was a highlight for my son to take my advice and dig in. He worked hard and was rewarded.
My husband and I celebrated our 26th annniversary and we went to the Bahamas and Floriday for 9 days. It was so fun we are taking the family back to Florida and Disney world in February. We made it through the year with more wisdom, a heart of gratitude and stretched.
I expect next year to be fabulous! We have some momentum!

Thanks for listening,

Cindy
2007-11-15 8:12 PM
in reply to: #1055442

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

cleavitt - 2007-11-15 1:02 PM I went to the Dr yesterday, finally, to have my shoulder checked out. August 27th I was playing ice hockey and fell backwards, dislocating my shoulder. I rested it for awhile and began lifting very carefully and felt that I was doing very well. I was doing Roman deadlifts of 65 lbs with an injured arm and it didn't cause any pain. Well... Tuesday night, in the middle of the night sometime, my pillow fell on the floor so I laid on my back and reached for it (this is my 2lb pillow) and as I raised in up I dislocated my arm again. I was in so much pain that I finally went to the dr yesterday. He said... "no use of arm, absolute rest. Need an MRI and some major rehab. Need to go to another doc to see if surgery is needed." Alot of pain and alot of tears since yesterday. Very discouraging news. I don't know if that means that I am out of the sprint tri that I planned on April 6th or not. I am not accepting that at this point and will be back on the treadmill in a few days, as soon as movement does not cause such pain to shoulder. Has anyone else out there had a similar injury? If so, how long was recovery w/o surgery? How long with surgery? I have 4 1/2 months until the sprint tri and my biggest concern is the swim. I have never swam more than 2 laps at a time and I haven't even begun to swim yet. I don't know of any pools in my area. I live in a very small mountain town. We had a club that burned down about 2-3 years ago and the new one is nearly finished. It is suppose to open sometime before the end of the year. It is/was my plan to try out the club. Well, I will just call my year a growing year but a great year. My son got married. I got a new grandbaby and she is adorable. I have three children still at home and I homeschool them. They are awesome. My real estate investing has greatly increased this year although we have experienced growing pains. My 17 year old son just bought and sold his first investment on the same day - November 6th! That was a highlight for my son to take my advice and dig in. He worked hard and was rewarded. My husband and I celebrated our 26th annniversary and we went to the Bahamas and Floriday for 9 days. It was so fun we are taking the family back to Florida and Disney world in February. We made it through the year with more wisdom, a heart of gratitude and stretched. I expect next year to be fabulous! We have some momentum! Thanks for listening, Cindy

be careful, the jarring motion of running may increase your pain. Swimming is HARD on the ligaments and shoulder joint itself.  I know it may be a huge disappointment, but training with that type injury may be the worst thing you can do for it--=as in  instead of defering a dream it could devastate the possibility.  Continue to do what you can without aggravating the injury until you see the orthopedic doc and get those instructions.  I'd rather see you healthy and frustrated than injured and even more frustrated

2007-11-15 8:14 PM

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Hey team! Sorry for being so quiet this week. I can't believe the week is almost over?! Where did the time go? I've been crazy busy at work trying to get ahead of things before taking off about 10 days. Of course, I'm working to get ahead now, but I still know I'll come back to a backlog of stuff after my trip.

I'm still hanging in there with my training plan. I wish I could say my eating has been going as well, but it hasn't been. I've had a couple of different pre-Thanksgiving potluck meals this week, and I definitely didn't make as good of choices as I could have, but that's OK. Some of the things were items people only make around the holidays, so I decided to partake.

I haven't had a chance to read everyone's posts yet, but I hope to catch up tomorrow. Hope everyone is having a good week. Go team!!!

2007-11-15 10:57 PM

Expert
Michiana

Hey, I'm back.  The last few days have been a little crazy at work and home.  I did manage to sneak in a 45 minute swim.  I should have some good chances over Thanksgiving to catch up on things.

Thanks to all for sharing so much.  I get so inspired reading about you.

I'm most proud of my swim.  Less than 2 years ago, I couldn't swim more than 1 length.  I did a 1.2mi swim in August in 39 minutes without the least bit of fear or hesitation.

2007-11-16 6:46 AM

Veteran

It's been so inspirational to read all of your posts and see the challenges that you've each been through and how you have either made it through or are making it through them.  As one of the older members of this team (I suspect), I can say that as I look back on the challenges I've faced, I'm actually grateful for them.  These tests in life, though difficult to face help us grow to be better people, stonger more compassionate.

As for me?  I'm proud I got up and ran this morning, when I didn't want to!!!!!

2007-11-16 7:53 AM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Melissa,

I found the spread sheet and have a question about why I'm listed as 0% on the goals.  I stated a goal of 8 Pilates or balance ball videos this month and have done each of them 2x so that makes me 50% on that one.  I have the push up goal as 30+ from toes by the end of the month, I already met that one with 35 on 11/4. (100% there) The planks are harder to quantify other than the amount of time holding them.  When did that video the other night there were a TON of push ups and planks, just not all at once and the planks weren't held for a specific amount of time that I was aware of. Do you want me to do something different on my log to visualize it better?  I could put them in bold or something if it would help.

Judi

2007-11-16 9:57 AM
in reply to: #1056560

Expert
Oceanside, CA
KLynne - 2007-11-16 4:46 AM

As one of the older members of this team (I suspect), I can say that as I look back on the challenges I've faced, I'm actually grateful for them. These tests in life, though difficult to face help us grow to be better people, stonger more compassionate.

Boy do I relate to this!

I sometimes look back and think "Why did I think it was so tough back then? Look at what I'm going through right now!" or "Wow! I can't believe I made it through that. I'm tougher than I thought I was."

2007-11-16 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1056625

Champion
Taser-World
zipp1 - 2007-11-16 8:53 AM

Melissa,

I found the spread sheet and have a question about why I'm listed as 0% on the goals. I stated a goal of 8 Pilates or balance ball videos this month and have done each of them 2x so that makes me 50% on that one. I have the push up goal as 30+ from toes by the end of the month, I already met that one with 35 on 11/4. (100% there) The planks are harder to quantify other than the amount of time holding them. When did that video the other night there were a TON of push ups and planks, just not all at once and the planks weren't held for a specific amount of time that I was aware of. Do you want me to do something different on my log to visualize it better? I could put them in bold or something if it would help.

Judi

Hi Zipp!

I've seen this type of question on several of the teams. Since the goals aren't "running, swimming, biking," they don't always show up on the logs. This makes it difficult for the Team Leader to determine exactly what someone has achieved.

An idea/suggestion --> Why don't you just report your goals via PM (or here on the thread) to Melissa? That way she doesn't have to "convert stuff." All she'd need to do is take the numbers you gave, (which would have the correct "units") and enter them into the spreadsheet.

Melissa - some of the other team leaders have asked their entire teams to report their progress via PM or on the thread. That way, they don't need to try to figure out what people have done.

Dee

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Hard Core Tri Corps (Team 8) Thread Rss Feed  

of 22