BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-03-05 7:10 AM
in reply to: #1090141

User image

DC
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-FULL-CONGRATS BILL PR and B-Day!!
I LOVE that everyone is doing this!! Makes me feel like the whole mentor thing is really working. Come on Paul it's your turn!!!

Nate you can definitely do it!! Even if you have stop and take a break, if you've never done an 1800 before you'd be setting a PR and then you just have a new record to look forward to breaking!!

2008-03-05 10:59 AM
in reply to: #1253334

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

gracetheterp - 2008-03-05 8:10 AM I LOVE that everyone is doing this!! Makes me feel like the whole mentor thing is really working. Come on Paul it's your turn!!! Nate you can definitely do it!! Even if you have stop and take a break, if you've never done an 1800 before you'd be setting a PR and then you just have a new record to look forward to breaking!!

I thoroughly agree -- doing a longer distance has broken up the monotony of those swim drills for me, and its reinvigorated my desire to get in the pool. I've only done that many yards, like, 3 times, and I remember the feeling after doing it the first time -- oh, I CAN do this . . .

I think I may have found my bike . . . its a bit out of my price range and definitely more bike than I need, but its used and therefore I'd get a good price . . . will post it later when I'm home and can access Craigslist to copy the ad (at work now. Schools block SO many websites) . . .

2008-03-05 1:25 PM
in reply to: #1253883

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
TheMaz - 2008-03-05 10:59 AM

I thoroughly agree -- doing a longer distance has broken up the monotony of those swim drills for me, and its reinvigorated my desire to get in the pool. I've only done that many yards, like, 3 times, and I remember the feeling after doing it the first time -- oh, I CAN do this . . .

I think I may have found my bike . . . its a bit out of my price range and definitely more bike than I need, but its used and therefore I'd get a good price . . . will post it later when I'm home and can access Craigslist to copy the ad (at work now. Schools block SO many websites) . . .

Can you give us a teaser as to what kind it is?  Hope it works out!

Aggghhh.... I got back to work, checked my email, and had a delivery notification for my seat post and saddle.  It arrived at my house like 5 minutes after I had left from lunch!  I guess that's a good thing, becuase if I had been there, I'd still be on lunch break setting it up.

2008-03-05 1:44 PM
in reply to: #1254290

User image

DC
sesh - 2008-03-05 2:25 PM

Aggghhh.... I got back to work, checked my email, and had a delivery notification for my seat post and saddle.  It arrived at my house like 5 minutes after I had left from lunch!  I guess that's a good thing, becuase if I had been there, I'd still be on lunch break setting it up.

Typical. My first set of real bike clothes just came into REI (yay clearance). I was starting to get worried they wouldn't come before SPRING BREAK since I am doing some biking I wanted to have jersey & padded shorts.

New bike... so exciting Chris!! Great timing, too- I know here it is just starting to warm up enough that I actually want to go outside and ride!

I also had my first (positive) triathlon dream last night...I dreamt that someone gave me a forward seat post as a gift...I am officially a tri nerd now I think
2008-03-05 3:25 PM

User image

Regular
gracetheterp - 2008-03-05 8:10 AM

I LOVE that everyone is doing this!! Makes me feel like the whole mentor thing is really working. Come on Paul it's your turn!!!

I will, but in April. I am not swimming until after the Boston Marathon. Give me a couple weeks to get into swim shape
2008-03-05 3:26 PM
in reply to: #1254334

User image

Regular
gracetheterp - 2008-03-05 2:44 PM

sesh - 2008-03-05 2:25 PM

New bike... so exciting Chris!! Great timing, too- I know here it is just starting to warm up enough that I actually want to go outside and ride!

UGH!! It just snowed another 4 inches here. Today is warmer and it's all just a big slurpee. It was 60 last Sunday, though. That was nice.

2008-03-05 7:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Portland
gracetheterp - 2008-03-05 5:10 AM

Nate you can definitely do it!! Even if you have stop and take a break, if you've never done an 1800 before you'd be setting a PR and then you just have a new record to look forward to breaking!!

that's true- i have never thought of it that way-- every time i get in the pool it's a PR for me :-) ha, that is only because i have only ever swam 30 laps in a row, ever (and i have no idea how long the pool is...).

yay new bikes too! i LOVE my not-so-new now bike so I highly recommend that anyone join in the new bike fun.

and isn't REI clearance great?! I got my bike shoes there for $30 on sale.
2008-03-05 8:44 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

The forward seat post and tri saddle were waiting on me when I got home!  Time to do a little bike tinkering.

2008-03-05 9:09 PM
in reply to: #1255213

User image

DC
sesh - 2008-03-05 9:44 PM

The forward seat post and tri saddle were waiting on me when I got home!  Time to do a little bike tinkering.

Someone's not getting much sleep tonight
Midnight bike ride anyone?
2008-03-05 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

Boy, with Tri gear, its like Christmas morning every few weeks!

Here's the bike I'm thinking about. Its $1000, so $300 beyond what I wanted to spend. But it is being sold through the bike shop where the original owner purchased it, and the shop vouches for it.

In a nutshell: 2005 Trek Pilot 2.1, 105/ultegra deraileurs; ultegra crank; includes pedals; lots of carbon; supposedly good shape. I want him to knock 100 off the price . . .

Here's the link: 

http://albany.craigslist.org/bik/592979187.html 

2008-03-05 10:52 PM
in reply to: #1255339

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
TheMaz - 2008-03-05 9:33 PM

Boy, with Tri gear, its like Christmas morning every few weeks!

Here's the bike I'm thinking about. Its $1000, so $300 beyond what I wanted to spend. But it is being sold through the bike shop where the original owner purchased it, and the shop vouches for it.

In a nutshell: 2005 Trek Pilot 2.1, 105/ultegra deraileurs; ultegra crank; includes pedals; lots of carbon; supposedly good shape. I want him to knock 100 off the price . . .

Here's the link: 

http://albany.craigslist.org/bik/592979187.html 

That pic he has on the page is of the 2006 Pilot 2.1.  The description is also of a 2006.

Road bikes have terrible resale value.  If he paid around $1600 and never even road it, he should consider $800 to be decent, and anything above that as gravy.  The buyer should aim for half price, probably won't get it, but try to keep it as low as possible above that.

I'd probably pay $900 for that.  Ultegra derailleurs and 105 shifters make it sweet and would justify the the bump up to $900.  The wheels are nice.  Trek makes a really good frame.  The carbon seat post is a big bonus, too, and also justifies paying $900.  I noticed a big difference when I got a bike with carbon stays, but it also could have been because of an overall better frame. 

Will the LBS fit you on it?  See if they'll throw in some tubes, maybe hook you up cheap on a pump, a seat bag, and a few CO2 cannisters, mini pump, and tire levers.  If you go 1000 on it, have them come down a bit and help you out on all the necessities you're going to have to buy from them.

Edited by sesh 2008-03-05 10:56 PM

2008-03-06 12:04 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
But let me also say that the Pilot series is a very, very, very good line of bikes.  It's a popular line for a reason.
2008-03-06 2:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

Bill,

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking I could scrape together $900 if the bike is in excellent condition, and it was my hope that the shop would throw in a fitting. I'm going to email the seller and see if he'll budge (he has said once that his price is firm). We'll see what happens; it seems like the only thing I'll need immediately, in addition to the tubes and whatnot, is a pair of cycling shoes. Then after a fitting it should be good to go . . .

Will let you know how it all goes . . .

2008-03-06 4:01 PM
in reply to: #1256874

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
TheMaz - 2008-03-06 2:27 PM

Bill,

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking I could scrape together $900 if the bike is in excellent condition, and it was my hope that the shop would throw in a fitting. I'm going to email the seller and see if he'll budge (he has said once that his price is firm). We'll see what happens; it seems like the only thing I'll need immediately, in addition to the tubes and whatnot, is a pair of cycling shoes. Then after a fitting it should be good to go . . .

Will let you know how it all goes . . .

Good luck!  I hope it works out because it really is a sweet bike.

2008-03-06 7:37 PM
in reply to: #1255339

User image

Regular
TheMaz - 2008-03-05 10:33 PM

Its $1000, so $300 beyond what I wanted to spend.  

You will say things like this more and more the more you get into cycling.

Very nice looking bike. Nice components and everything.

Do you know how fast it will go? You should ask the guy and be very serious about it.
2008-03-06 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
thanks guys, but next time we do a running one.
I finished 1800 meters today non stop. It was great to do. Now i need to work on the speed part of it.
it took me
48:20
but I`m very proud of myself cause in October I could not even swim 50 meters and here I am swimming 1800.
Being on this web site has been great and this group is awesome, thanks again for the push everyone.

2008-03-06 10:17 PM
in reply to: #1257851

User image

DC
natebs - 2008-03-06 11:00 PM

I finished 1800 meters today non stop. It was great to do. Now i need to work on the speed part of it.
it took me
but I`m very proud of myself cause in October I could not even swim 50 meters and here I am swimming 1800.
Being on this web site has been great and this group is awesome, thanks again for the push everyone.

Congratulations!!!!! A new record!!

You'd definitely beat me in a mile run by at four minutes, no joke.
2008-03-06 10:52 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

natebs - 2008-03-06 10:00 PM thanks guys, but next time we do a running one.

My hamstring is tight.  My knee is sore.  I have dead legs.  It's to cold.  It's raining.  I need to get new shoes before running again.

Ok... you guys really came through on the swimming.  Somebody throw something out there and I'll put some guts into it.  Mile runs?

it took me 48:20 but I`m very proud of myself cause in October I could not even swim 50 meters and here I am swimming 1800.

Ummm... progress anyone?  Holy cow, Nathan.  That is so far beyond awesome I can't even begin to explain it.  Wait... let me try.  That's a 3,600% improvement on your distance in five months.  Dude.  I'm pumped up hearing about that.  A well deserved ten times over CONGRATULATIONS!!!

2008-03-06 11:30 PM

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
natebs - 2008-03-06 8:00 PM

it took me

Nice Job, Nate!!! You came a long way in a really short period of time!!! I have been working on my swim for the last few years and never did a straight mile pool swim before. I find it really hard to keep track of the laps and swim that long without stopping or getting bored.

Chris, Good luck with the bike. Bill will keep an eye out for you and make sure you are not paying too much. I have a trek (not as nice) but I like it. 2 wheels and a granny gear -- that's all I need.
2008-03-07 9:32 AM
in reply to: #1257889

User image

Veteran
Portland
sesh - 2008-03-06 8:52 PM

Ok... you guys really came through on the swimming. Somebody throw something out there and I'll put some guts into it. Mile runs?

I'll do a mile run challenge, I need to calibrate my ipod nike sensor again by running an exact mile anyway. just tell me when :-) or I suppose I could just go do it and get the ball rolling.

2008-03-07 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1257899

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

Chris, Good luck with the bike. Bill will keep an eye out for you and make sure you are not paying too much. I have a trek (not as nice) but I like it. 2 wheels and a granny gear -- that's all I need.

Thanks for the well-wishes. Things just got harder as I learned that the same store has a brand new Giant OCR2 ('07) discounted at $720, a Specialized Elite Sport ('07) at around $850, and a couple of other models from prior years. The store will throw in free service, however, its like an hour and a half drive. Part of the reason their prices are so cheap is that there up in the north where the snow is still 3feet deep.

Now I'm leaning toward the Giant, 'cause I'll immediately be able to buy shoes. (He said that the pedals are "mountain style clipless"?)

Nate -- congratulations on the swim!!! Completely awesome.

And I'm in for doing the mile as our next group time trial, 'cause my training schedule says I should be doing mile repeats and I haven't done one in a few weeks.

Last things last: I was just selected as a wear-tester for Brooks running shoes, so I'll get one or two pairs for free this year! You should all research the wear-testing programs at your favorite brands. Free stuff rocks!

2008-03-08 8:10 AM

User image

Regular
I can do a mile TT. I think I can go under 4:00. It's only 3X around the track, right?

Seriously, I will do it on the road (very similar to to a Beatles song). I haven't run on a track since early last fall.

Does anyone else do speed workouts on the road? I do all intervals on the road. I used to just go by time. For instance, if I was supposed to do 800 repeats I would just do 3:10-3:20 repeats with 2min recovery. Now I have a GPS watch so it's easier. The times are slower but the track isn't always open and running on the track isn't very fun. Anyways, probably not the best way to do things but this isn't the Pan Am games.

2008-03-08 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Portland
I do all my speedwork on the road or around a path at a park. I only run on the track to calibrate the nike sensor, for some reason google maps is off when i try to run on the road to calibrate it (?)
2008-03-08 4:53 PM

User image

DC
I don't do intervals...or speed work...first I would like to be able to run 3 miles without stopping...then we will worry about speed...
2008-03-09 8:01 PM

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
It seems the more I train, I learn more about myself, my gear and just the sport in general. But it seems the more I learn, the more I feel I need to learn. So here is my current questions for the group...

Bike hydration - Aero water bottle
Yesterday I was riding on a narrow busy road, hit a bump, and the yellow mesh thing went flying out of my aero water bottle (profile design model). It was too dangerous to stop and get it and it would have been full of dirt anyway. The very next second I hit a bump and 1/4 of my sports drink splashed all over me! Yuck. Then I had to pull over and deal. I was sticky, covered in gunk, and decided to chug the last of my drink - bad idea for the gut.

I decided I HATE this bottle. So, what are my other options? Are there better aero bottles out there? Why don't I see road bikers or triathletes using the slim camelbacks? I love my camelback for mountain biking - I don't get it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  

of 33