BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-08-18 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3441467

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED
I was toying with doing Jorge's program.  Did you do it with power or HR/RPE?  I did HR the first time.  I could see how much better it could be with power, especially on the short intervals.  I guess I went mostly with effort more then anything.  My poor tires...  Perhaps I should get another wheel. 

2011-08-18 4:44 PM
in reply to: #3649735

User image

bzgl40 - 2011-08-18 2:21 PM I was toying with doing Jorge's program.  Did you do it with power or HR/RPE?  I did HR the first time.  I could see how much better it could be with power, especially on the short intervals.  I guess I went mostly with effort more then anything.  My poor tires...  Perhaps I should get another wheel. 

Power, I bought a CT for that purpose.  But even going by HR/effort is good as well.  Power just gives you that feedback, you know you are doing it as hard as you are supposed to.  There is one setting ((erg mode) where you set the power, and you either put that power out or stop pedaling....

2011-08-22 12:39 PM

User image

So I lied about what I had left.  I had been toying with doing a local long distance swim race, 4.8 miles as four 1.2 mile legs, coming into the beach every leg, but training was down, ear infection, etc.  Decided Friday to sign up and just give it a shot, completed it.  Was a fantastic swim, and I felt afterwrds as I have after my first HIM and my IM, like I just did something I never thought I could.  Furthest I'd ever swam before was 2.4 miles, so this was a huge leap

A bit sore today, but not too bad.

2011-08-22 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3653844

User image

Los Angeles
ChrisM - 2011-08-22 10:39 AM

So I lied about what I had left.  I had been toying with doing a local long distance swim race, 4.8 miles as four 1.2 mile legs, coming into the beach every leg, but training was down, ear infection, etc.  Decided Friday to sign up and just give it a shot, completed it.  Was a fantastic swim, and I felt afterwrds as I have after my first HIM and my IM, like I just did something I never thought I could.  Furthest I'd ever swam before was 2.4 miles, so this was a huge leap

A bit sore today, but not too bad.

Very nice and quite impressive! And we are on for a weight loss bet!It is my taper week, heading to Vegas this weekend for a race.
2011-08-25 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3638059

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
ChrisM - 2011-08-10 1:33 PM

hoots - 2011-08-10 5:55 AM
ChrisM - 2011-08-09 4:46 PMI know 2011 is still in full swing, but just registered for 2012 Calif. 70.3
In Oceanside? That is during my kid's spring break, thinking about using it as a reason to keep working out through the winter.

Yeah. it's a good race, but water is a bit cold, and air can be cold as well.  Sells out usually in September (?) i believe and i saw a reference in the Calif. forums that someone's tri club said it was close to full, so......

My wife said no to Oceanside, but yes to Boise (guys weekend in ID). Signing up when I get to work.
2011-08-25 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3658434

User image

hoots - 2011-08-25 6:11 AM
ChrisM - 2011-08-10 1:33 PM

hoots - 2011-08-10 5:55 AM
ChrisM - 2011-08-09 4:46 PMI know 2011 is still in full swing, but just registered for 2012 Calif. 70.3
In Oceanside? That is during my kid's spring break, thinking about using it as a reason to keep working out through the winter.

Yeah. it's a good race, but water is a bit cold, and air can be cold as well.  Sells out usually in September (?) i believe and i saw a reference in the Calif. forums that someone's tri club said it was close to full, so......

My wife said no to Oceanside, but yes to Boise (guys weekend in ID). Signing up when I get to work.

COngrats.  That's the one that starts at like 2:30?

Any other races coming up for anyone?  I have Santa Barbara Long Course (1/34/10) Saturday, then I think it's time to hang up the tri bike and get the roadie tuned up

2011-08-25 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3659092

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
ChrisM - 2011-08-25 11:16 AM

COngrats.  That's the one that starts at like 2:30?

Any other races coming up for anyone?  I have Santa Barbara Long Course (1/34/10) Saturday, then I think it's time to hang up the tri bike and get the roadie tuned up

Looks like the pros kicked of at noon this year, at least I can sleep in! I have a duathlon labor day, then done racing, time to start thinking about ski season!
2011-08-27 3:18 PM

User image

Los Angeles

My race in Vegas (Amica 19.7) was cancelled on Thursday   At least I was able to cancel my hotel without being charged.   So today, I went to Long Beach and did 1.1 miles ows.

I have 2 tris left, LA Tri Sept 25th and Day at the Beach Oct 9.  I was actually thinking of maybe doint the thanksgiviing tri at Bonelli Park.  But then I will start preparing for Oceanside.  I am very excited about Oceanside.

2011-08-28 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3662114

User image

bad91 - 2011-08-27 1:18 PM

My race in Vegas (Amica 19.7) was cancelled on Thursday   At least I was able to cancel my hotel without being charged.   So today, I went to Long Beach and did 1.1 miles ows.

I have 2 tris left, LA Tri Sept 25th and Day at the Beach Oct 9.  I was actually thinking of maybe doint the thanksgiviing tri at Bonelli Park.  But then I will start preparing for Oceanside.  I am very excited about Oceanside.

Brent, that sucks, sorry to hear it.  Did they say why???

2011-08-28 8:08 PM

User image

So, I had probably the worst race I've ever had on Saturday at Santa Barbara.  It's a semi half distance.. 1 mile swim, 34 mile (hilly) bike, and 10 mile run.

Yes, I was undertrained, and yes, I did the 4.8 mile swim last weekend, and it all caught up to me.  Add to that I was kind of "meh" about the race going in (even tho I love the venue).  I had no "pop" in my legs on the bike, and I had to stop FIVE times..  2 for front brake rubbing, one because my saddle bag was coming off, one for a train (!) crossing, and one for a controlled intersection.  Having ridden about 50 miles a week for the last couple months, it all just took it out of me.   You know those people that say how they pass people on nice bikes with race wheels on their crummy roadie?  That was me

Run was an out and back, mostly uphill on the out.  First 2 miles of the run were OK, I was surviving but honestly wondering how I was going to get through.  Mile 3-4 was where I was thisclose to just calling it, turning around and quitting.  I figured if I got to mile 5, I couldn't quit, I'd have to get back somehow, and it was mostly downhill.

Added 43 MINUTES to the last time I did this race.  Granted, I was in IM training and in good shape. But still...  dayum

Learned a lot from this race about how to react when the demons come and pushing through a bit of misery.   

Edited by ChrisM 2011-08-28 8:09 PM
2011-08-28 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3663126

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
ChrisM - 2011-08-28 7:08 PM

So, I had probably the worst race I've ever had on Saturday at Santa Barbara.  It's a semi half distance.. 1 mile swim, 34 mile (hilly) bike, and 10 mile run.

Yes, I was undertrained, and yes, I did the 4.8 mile swim last weekend, and it all caught up to me.  Add to that I was kind of "meh" about the race going in (even tho I love the venue).  I had no "pop" in my legs on the bike, and I had to stop FIVE times..  2 for front brake rubbing, one because my saddle bag was coming off, one for a train (!) crossing, and one for a controlled intersection.  Having ridden about 50 miles a week for the last couple months, it all just took it out of me.   You know those people that say how they pass people on nice bikes with race wheels on their crummy roadie?  That was me

Run was an out and back, mostly uphill on the out.  First 2 miles of the run were OK, I was surviving but honestly wondering how I was going to get through.  Mile 3-4 was where I was thisclose to just calling it, turning around and quitting.  I figured if I got to mile 5, I couldn't quit, I'd have to get back somehow, and it was mostly downhill.

Added 43 MINUTES to the last time I did this race.  Granted, I was in IM training and in good shape. But still...  dayum

Learned a lot from this race about how to react when the demons come and pushing through a bit of misery.   

Sorry to hear that. At least you stuck it out though! Those experiences make me want to get back out there.

2011-08-29 11:45 AM

User image

Los Angeles

Chris, you finished and showed you have the mental toughness, even though you wanted to quit.  I dont know what I would have done in your position.  I think one of my good attributes is my mental toughness so I like to think I would have finished like you.  So congrats on following through and finishing.

From what I heard about my race was there was still a bunch of constuction in Henderson and it would have totally hampered the bike portion of the race.  I just didnt appreciate the notification on Thursday, 3 days before the event.  I am sure a lot of people lost money.   Amica did call each triathlete personally via telephone and sent an email.  They are rescheduling for sometime this fall.

2011-08-29 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3664007

User image

bad91 - 2011-08-29 9:45 AM

Chris, you finished and showed you have the mental toughness, even though you wanted to quit.  I dont know what I would have done in your position.  I think one of my good attributes is my mental toughness so I like to think I would have finished like you.  So congrats on following through and finishing.

From what I heard about my race was there was still a bunch of constuction in Henderson and it would have totally hampered the bike portion of the race.  I just didnt appreciate the notification on Thursday, 3 days before the event.  I am sure a lot of people lost money.   Amica did call each triathlete personally via telephone and sent an email.  They are rescheduling for sometime this fall.

I wouldn't either, that's just not right.  What with travel and time off and hotel fees etc etc.  That does really suck.  Hopefully they offer some kind of credit, or discount at a hotel, something to ease the inconvenience

And thanks re the race.  The longer you race the more you realize that you learn more from the blowups than you do form doing well. At least I do

2011-08-30 6:02 PM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
So here is what I have planned for the offseason. 1) ski, 2) do a marathon training program, 3) lose weight (started counting calories today). I will need to start training in Feb, for Boise 70.3, so that doesn't leave much time. Any thing else I am over looking? I'll still swim and bike some! But am not planning to focus on them.
2011-09-02 11:47 AM
in reply to: #3666520

User image

hoots - 2011-08-30 4:02 PM So here is what I have planned for the offseason. 1) ski, 2) do a marathon training program, 3) lose weight (started counting calories today). I will need to start training in Feb, for Boise 70.3, so that doesn't leave much time. Any thing else I am over looking? I'll still swim and bike some! But am not planning to focus on them.

Other than the skiing, sounds like mine (although I have made it a point to go snowboarding again, it's been a couple seasons since I've done that).   I've decided to set mini-goals, rather than one big weight goal.  So for September it's lose 8#.

I'd suggest the Jorge winter cycling program since it sounds like you might have snow issues.  I used it for Oceanside and it worked pretty well (I did 2 days a week plus one outside).  Will probably use it in some form again.  I'd also suggest maybe getting on the trainer once or twice a week for x training and keeping some cycling fitness?  Or a spin class or two, since it's more social

I am coming to the end of my unstructured week off.  Feel lazy!

Edited by ChrisM 2011-09-02 11:50 AM
2011-09-05 1:34 PM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
I made the podium this morning at the West Side Duathlon. I took third place in Clydesdales 39 and under! The weather has cooled down nicely, it was a great day to race.

2011-09-05 4:54 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Outstanding!! Congrats on your podium finish....

Nothing big with me...did a couple of open water swims in Long Beach, trying to prepare for the LA Tri on the 25th : )

2011-09-05 6:52 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

Nice job on the podium. 

I ran a 5k today but I ran it with my partner at her pace so it was really just an extra run for me.  Very humid here.

2011-09-05 6:57 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
So I had a crappy long weekend of training.  Well, my medium run went well on Sunday but on Saturday I was an hour into my scheduled 3.5 hour ride and I picked up a nail that went right through the sidewall of my basically brand new pretty expensive tire.  Pulled the nail out and out popped the tub.  I don't even though I could have booted it really.  So, called for a pick up and started riding back towards the house.  Made it another few miles before it finally blew.  No biggy I thought, I'll just do the long ride on Monday after the race.  Meh.  I used the weather as an excuse but really it wasn't bad enough to stop me.  We had some threatening clouds and storms here can be pretty nasty but I should have went out anyways.  I could have looped close to the house.  So now I am feeling pretty crappy about missing my long ride.  I am not that far out from race day and shouldn't be looking for excuses to skip a ride.  I did end up taking a much needed nap however.  I have had a worrisome tickle in my throat the last few days, like I am about to get sick.  So I am trying to tell myself that missing the ride is better then overdoing it and making myself sick.  Anyways, enough rambling.  
2011-09-05 9:17 PM

User image

One ride neither makes nor breaks a race or the training for it.  Plus the potential sickness factor, all the signs were pointing to bagging it.  FIDO (forget it, drive on  )
2011-09-09 11:35 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Ok...i am racing this weekend....5 mile mud run at Castaic

Also, I just was sent that my race in Vegas was rescheduled for Oct 2...so i will be doing 3 races, 3 weeks in a row...LA Tri 9/25, Las Vegas 19.7  Oct 2nd, and Day at the Beach Oct 9th...then I think i am done for the year and start preparing for Oceanside.

2011-09-10 8:52 PM
in reply to: #3680076

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
bad91 - 2011-09-09 10:35 PM

Also, I just was sent that my race in Vegas was rescheduled for Oct 2...so i will be doing 3 races, 3 weeks in a row...LA Tri 9/25, Las Vegas 19.7  Oct 2nd, and Day at the Beach Oct 9th...then I think i am done for the year and start preparing for Oceanside.

3 races in 3 weeks would be too much for me, good luck!
2011-09-10 10:02 PM
in reply to: #3680634

User image

Los Angeles
hoots - 2011-09-10 6:52 PM
bad91 - 2011-09-09 10:35 PM

3 races in 3 weeks would be too much for me, good luck!

LOL!!! i hear you...i actually asked my coach...she said i have worked very hard in my training so she didnt have an issue or problem with it...she said she would adjust my training so i would be fresh for all the races.

2011-09-11 7:23 PM

User image

Just got back from a 3 day dive trip in the Northern Channel Islands, trying to get some balance back this offseason.\

Brent, I am glad they rescheduled the race and that you can do it.  That will be a great way to end the season, 3 races in a row.  You'll be ready for a little break

2011-09-17 11:53 PM

User image

Los Angeles
I went to Venice today and swam and then to downtown LA in prep for the LA Tri next week....I have my work cut out!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20