BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's New Manatees - FULL! :-) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2009-01-12 8:55 PM
in reply to: #1903270

User image

Expert
WV
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's New Manatees - FULL! :-)
lastcall2003 - 2009-01-12 5:39 PM
Dr Hammer - 2009-01-12 6:46 PM

Yay Beth!!  Awesome 9+ run!  Awesome painless arse!  Woohoo!!!

Beth and Yanti...I wish I had your boredom problem.  I am like Erin.   Office hours are from 1030-1130 ...right.... started at 9:00AM and ended at 4:20 PM.  It was a revolving door of students, staff, and faculty.   wheeee..........................  

Off to run outside....our rec center is currently like a club.  Waiting lines of 30 minutes for equipment.  YAY!  All the new year's resolutioner's and prepping for spring breaker's have finally hit with the beginning of the semester.  2 weeks.  2 weeks.   Or, get my arse up early and get'ur done!! 

I'd much rather be busy than bored - your day sounds beyond busy!

I'd rather be a little less busy.  My office some times tends to be a  "little" insane.  Students needing letters of rec written, drop/add cards signed, honors/thesis/dissertation timelines discussed.  Also, I am the professor that lots of students like to chat with.  I am in the office next to the "cool" GA's so conversations tend to spill down the hall.  It can be loud and fun.  The neighbors (secretly jealous faculty) complain about the noise.  I complain but....I'd miss them if they didn't stop by.

2009-01-12 9:02 PM
in reply to: #1903486

User image

Expert
WV
Reno8 - 2009-01-12 7:35 PM

Hey everyone just wanted to check in for 1 minute to say THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH for all of your thoughts and prayers.

We did AWESOME.  We stuck to our plan and it worked perfectly and part of that plan was to rely on the positive energy we were getting from our friends, family, our Tri Team and from BT.

We drove back from Fla. today and got home around 7:00 and my oldest son had pork tenderloin with wine sauce, mushroom risotto and Cesar salad...& vanilla/almond pound cake with raspberries and strawberries.   yummmm.

Thank you again and I will have my race report up tomorrow and Susan will also, sometime this week....I'm headed to BED.  G'Night all.

Manatees ROCK

Steve and Susan

Congrats again.  Awesome!!!  Can't wait to read the RR.

Any leftovers???  I know whose house I'm coming to the next time I come into ATL on my way to the Smokies!!  Or, on my round about way to the 'Boro.

2009-01-12 9:15 PM
in reply to: #1903532

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Dr Hammer - 2009-01-12 9:55 PM
lastcall2003 - 2009-01-12 5:39 PM
Dr Hammer - 2009-01-12 6:46 PM

Yay Beth!!  Awesome 9+ run!  Awesome painless arse!  Woohoo!!!

Beth and Yanti...I wish I had your boredom problem.  I am like Erin.   Office hours are from 1030-1130 ...right.... started at 9:00AM and ended at 4:20 PM.  It was a revolving door of students, staff, and faculty.   wheeee..........................  

Off to run outside....our rec center is currently like a club.  Waiting lines of 30 minutes for equipment.  YAY!  All the new year's resolutioner's and prepping for spring breaker's have finally hit with the beginning of the semester.  2 weeks.  2 weeks.   Or, get my arse up early and get'ur done!! 

I'd much rather be busy than bored - your day sounds beyond busy!

I'd rather be a little less busy.  My office some times tends to be a  "little" insane.  Students needing letters of rec written, drop/add cards signed, honors/thesis/dissertation timelines discussed.  Also, I am the professor that lots of students like to chat with.  I am in the office next to the "cool" GA's so conversations tend to spill down the hall.  It can be loud and fun.  The neighbors (secretly jealous faculty) complain about the noise.  I complain but....I'd miss them if they didn't stop by.

It's so hard to have that perfect  balance

why is it we can't just all be the right amount of busy, and have the right amount of BT time?

ps

sounds like you would miss the business if it were gone

Edited by lastcall2003 2009-01-12 9:16 PM
2009-01-12 9:17 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Reno8 - 2009-01-12 9:35 PM

Hey everyone just wanted to check in for 1 minute to say THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH for all of your thoughts and prayers.

We did AWESOME.  We stuck to our plan and it worked perfectly and part of that plan was to rely on the positive energy we were getting from our friends, family, our Tri Team and from BT.

We drove back from Fla. today and got home around 7:00 and my oldest son had pork tenderloin with wine sauce, mushroom risotto and Cesar salad...& vanilla/almond pound cake with raspberries and strawberries.   yummmm.

Thank you again and I will have my race report up tomorrow and Susan will also, sometime this week....I'm headed to BED.  G'Night all.

Manatees ROCK

Steve and Susan

Congrats Steve and Susan!

2009-01-13 6:59 AM
in reply to: #1859524

User image

Veteran

Congratulations Steve and Susan on a great race.  Nice run Beth!  

As I read the playlist discussion, I realized I should take advantage of that feature on my IPOD.  I tend to leave it in Shuffle mode but because I have such a wide variety of music on it, I tend to hit skip a lot when I'm running.  

I got up early this morning with the intention of doing a spinning class. I arrived late because I didn't account for the time take ice off the windshield.  So instead I stayed and did 40 minutes on the treadmill/ellipticals.  Felt good to workout in the morning despite the fact that I'm not a morning person.  I'm hoping to go for a spinning class later this week.  

I hope everyone is having a good week. 

2009-01-13 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Reno8 - 2009-01-12 6:35 PM

We did AWESOME. We stuck to our plan and it worked perfectly and part of that plan was to rely on the positive energy we were getting from our friends, family, our Tri Team and from BT.

We drove back from Fla. today and got home around 7:00 and my oldest son had pork tenderloin with wine sauce, mushroom risotto and Cesar salad...& vanilla/almond pound cake with raspberries and strawberries. yummmm.

Thank you again and I will have my race report up tomorrow and Susan will also, sometime this week....I'm headed to BED. G'Night all.

Manatees ROCK

Steve and Susan

Steve!! It's great to hear from you. I can hardly wait to read all about the marathon -- it had better be long and inclue lots and lots and lots of details. Hee.

Major congratulations to both of you!

2009-01-13 2:52 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Reno8 - 2009-01-12 6:35 PM

Manatees ROCK

Steve and Susan

Steve and Susan,

Awesome job on completing your race! I can't wait to hear more about it.

2009-01-13 5:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Steve and Susan, Great job on the mary!! I imagine it is sooo nice to be home with that huge accomplishment checked off of the list! 

Ronen- I'd love to know more about the CD playlist thingie that your fav spinning instructor has. That sounds like fun! It might be fun to listen to something outside of my "box"! 

As for work, it definitely is hard to find that balance between me time and work time. I am a supervisor and I work in a university in a service-type role and I AM SO FREAKIN BUSY!! Plus, one of my staff members had a heart attack, bless his heart (no pun intended...), staff are off on vacation, blah blah blah.. there goes my lunch time workouts, getting out on time, anything. Sometimes I get so frustrated putting everyone else's needs before my own. I hate that that sounds as selfish as it does. I'm trying to learn how to say "no" in a nice way. I'm also trying to learn how to delegate. Oh well. Sometimes it's just nice to vent and also it's nice knowing that we all have these struggles- finding a balance. Today was just one of those days!!

2009-01-13 6:13 PM
in reply to: #1905509

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
nuttysami123 - 2009-01-13 3:39 PM

Ronen- I'd love to know more about the CD playlist thingie that your fav spinning instructor has. That sounds like fun! It might be fun to listen to something outside of my "box"! 

Hi Sam,

Here is a link to his web site: http://www.cardiocoach.com/- you can listen to sample of each volume he has.  IMHO, the beauty of his classes/volumes is that he picked the beat according to the type of workout we do. The beat of the music matches the cadence and intensity - which is an art to put together, IMHO.

Hope it helps.

2009-01-13 6:52 PM
in reply to: #1905589

User image

Extreme Veteran
What a cool thing! I will definitely try out a few of the volumes!! Thanks!!

Edited by nuttysami123 2009-01-13 6:55 PM
2009-01-13 7:24 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay Area

Hey there Beth, Yanti. Hope all is well. I was wondering if either of you have any qood recovery tips for the run. I did 13.5 miles today, which is the longest I have ever run and I really feel it now. I took some tylenol, and it has not helped all that much. I think the sun really took it's toll since I only had a 16 ounce bottle of water and the temp was about 70. It really took my by surprise. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2009-01-13 7:35 PM
in reply to: #1905834

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
joeseal - 2009-01-13 5:24 PM

Hey there Beth, Yanti. Hope all is well. I was wondering if either of you have any qood recovery tips for the run. I did 13.5 miles today, which is the longest I have ever run and I really feel it now. I took some tylenol, and it has not helped all that much. I think the sun really took it's toll since I only had a 16 ounce bottle of water and the temp was about 70. It really took my by surprise. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Congrats on the run!! That's a huge accomplishment.

What kind of post-run pain are you feeling? Overall exhaustion? Muscle pain? Yanti will probably recommend an ice bath -- she loves those! I'm too much of a wimp to try them, though (and I'm pretty sure you're supposed to do the ice bath right after the run). I'd definitely recommend that in the future you bring along some nutrition for a 13-mile run -- gels or even just Gatorade or some other kind of sports drink. My rule of thumb: I don't drink anything for a run under an hour; I drink water for runs between an hour and two; and I drink Gatorade or eat some sort of gel (plus drink water) for runs longer than two hours.

After a long run I always spend lots and lots of time stretching and give myself a nice long cooldown -- usually by walking a couple blocks to the corner store. That's where I buy my post-run nutrition, which is usually a small bottle of chocolate milk and a small bottle of Gatorade. (Sometimes if it's hot or I've had a bad run and am particularly tired I'll throw in a bottle of very cold water, a Coke, or maybe some pretzels for something to actually chew.) I've found that post-run nutrition makes a huge difference for me and really moves along my recovery. So for me the key things are to move around a lot after a run (walk cooldown and stretch) and get some calories in me.
2009-01-14 12:45 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
joeseal - 2009-01-13 5:24 PM

Thank you

First, what Erin just said. Second, I'll let the experts answer.

It would help to know what do you feel. Pain? If so, where? Dissiness?  What did you eat and drink prior to and during the run? Do you happen to know how much you sweat per hour? Did you have any muscle cramp on you while or after running?

2009-01-14 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
joeseal - 2009-01-13 8:24 PM

Thank you

I am not Beth or Yanti , but I have done five half marys. Without knowing exactly what you're feeling, I'll tell you what has worked for me. Once my long runs got up past 9 miles (15 was my longest), I definitely used a recovery drink. Also, I would take a nice hot bath. There is some debate about the hot bath- but it is what worked for me. Then, after my bath, I would eat something decent. I hope you feel better and great job on the run!! What I'd give for a 70 degree day right now! It's snowing and 8 degrees here in IN!!

2009-01-14 8:49 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Joel, Congrats on the run! 

Erin, Ronen, Sam - thank you for the great questions and feedback regarding Joel's question.

We have a group of great experts with lots of experience in our group!  

Since my longest run to this point is 9 miles, I'm certainly no expert, and have these questions myself as my milage is creeping up there to double digits

I did some looking and came across some articles that may be helpful

Nutrition Fueling for a long run:

http://www.rgrtraining.com/articles/longrun.php

Steps for recovery after a long run:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Three_steps_to_long-run_recovery__chow__chug_and_chill.htm

there's always lots of good stuff on BT as well

2009-01-14 9:57 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay Area
Thank you Beth, Ronen, Samantha and Erin for the excellent post run recovery tips. I feel like such a knuckle head because it looks like the root cause of my post run pain was due to poor preparation. I did not properly hydrate or eat before my run. I had a few cups of coffee with two small bagels for breakfast. I had a few wheat crackers  right before my run at 12:45 in the afternoon. I drank just one bottle of water between 7-8 miles. I should know better!

I think as Ronen put it, anything above 10 miles is serious business. Planning and preparation will determine how you feel during and after your run. It’s it kind of like putting my hand in the fire and then asking why it burns.

Thanks again
Joel

2009-01-14 10:28 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Joel,

As long as you did not get injured as a result of this run, look at it as a great learning experience, so don't feel too bad about it. From my experience, you need to learn your body's behavior under those conditions. You can read plenty about what to and what not to do before, during and after a long run, but you'll have to test it on yourself. Then, adjust and tweak as you progress. What works for one may not work for another.  I was lucky enough to find a BT friend who has similar body structure and dimensions (height, weight, etc.) as I do. He is an experienced triathlete and I could leverage a lot from his experience. 

Something that will help you fine tune hydration needs is to find how much your sweat per a time unit and translate this into how much you need to drink while running. 16-oz @ 70 degrees sound too little to me. I have a large body frame (6'5" and 215 lbs.), I sweat a lot and need to drink quite a bit @ 70 degrees and even more when it is warmer. I plan my running routes such that every 30 min. I will pass next to a point in which I can refill my water bottle.

Like in many other aspects of life, planning is an improtant aspect of long runs.

Hope this helps.

2009-01-14 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1906926

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Ronen - 2009-01-14 11:28 AM

Joel,

As long as you did not get injured as a result of this run, look at it as a great learning experience, so don't feel too bad about it. From my experience, you need to learn your body's behavior under those conditions. You can read plenty about what to and what not to do before, during and after a long run, but you'll have to test it on yourself. Then, adjust and tweak as you progress. What works for one may not work for another.  I was lucky enough to find a BT friend who has similar body structure and dimensions (height, weight, etc.) as I do. He is an experienced triathlete and I could leverage a lot from his experience. 

Something that will help you fine tune hydration needs is to find how much your sweat per a time unit and translate this into how much you need to drink while running. 16-oz @ 70 degrees sound too little to me. I have a large body frame (6'5" and 215 lbs.), I sweat a lot and need to drink quite a bit @ 70 degrees and even more when it is warmer. I plan my running routes such that every 30 min. I will pass next to a point in which I can refill my water bottle.

Like in many other aspects of life, planning is an improtant aspect of long runs.

Hope this helps.

well said Ronen!

especially the part about it being a learning experience and not being to hard  on yourself!  There are many things we've all learned the hard way

2009-01-14 12:25 PM
in reply to: #1907099

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Joel;

I don't have it with me right now but I can recommend a great book on nutrition/recovery stratagies.  I will try to post the info this evening.

Biggest thing I can tell you is experiment and see what works for you.

For me;
  • Eat something before I run
  • Post run recovery Drink of Champions ...Chocolate Milk.  (tons of studies to support this)
  • Get some calories into the system within 30 min to 1 hour.
  • Cold water bath (I don't use ice just as cold as the tap water is) (Fellow Manatee Susan, uses a warm/hot water bath with Epsom Salts and swears by this.
 Point is that there are several things that you should do but which one works for you can only be accomplished by trial and error.
Steve
2009-01-14 2:43 PM
in reply to: #1907224

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Here is the link to my Race Report...not bragging...well maybe a little because I had to call Beth in Pa. to tell me how to do this Geeky stuff 

Thanks Beth.

Race Report

Steve

2009-01-14 3:20 PM
in reply to: #1907808

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Reno8 - 2009-01-14 3:43 PM

Here is the link to my Race Report...not bragging...well maybe a little because I had to call Beth in Pa. to tell me how to do this Geeky stuff 

Thanks Beth.

Race Report

Steve

2009-01-14 4:50 PM

User image

Veteran

Any tips on what to do for soreness after over doing it? 

I took a spinning class last night and I think I pushed it too hard trying to keep up.  The instructor had us do several sets of standing up and biking for long periods....lets just say that my legs are screaming today.  I stretched yesterday but my legs feel weak, tired, sore, and generally unstable. 

Is there anything that can make them feel better or should I just wait it out?  

2009-01-14 5:25 PM
in reply to: #1908149

User image

Melon Presser
noony - 2009-01-14 2:50 PM

Any tips on what to do for soreness after over doing it? 

I took a spinning class last night and I think I pushed it too hard trying to keep up.  The instructor had us do several sets of standing up and biking for long periods....lets just say that my legs are screaming today.  I stretched yesterday but my legs feel weak, tired, sore, and generally unstable. 

Is there anything that can make them feel better or should I just wait it out?  

Yes. Take an easy walk or easy bike ride or easy swim with plenty of kick (20-30 min.), and afterward, soak in or run cold water over your legs for about 20 min.

Some people, like Susan, also swear by a warm bath with Epsom salts. I think the cold water is more common among triathletes, and that's what I personally do, but it is of course not quite as pleasant

2009-01-15 12:07 AM

User image

Master
Utah

Ack! Not page two again!  

Did a nice little treadmill run. I like running. And the bike is my limiter, so I switched out today's trainer ride in favor of a fun little run. now I am off to bed. I work again for the next couple days, so in case I don't "see" ya before then, Happy Friday! "

2009-01-15 12:11 AM

User image

Master
Utah

I feel like I should explain myself/my work schedule. I am a full-time mom. My hubby works long hours/travels 50% on average. I am also, however, a nurse and I work part-time in the evenings. So I have friends that tell me that I am a pseudo-single, stay-at-home-mom, with a job.   When I work it takes me a few days to catch back up--the laundry piles up, nobody does their chores (or homework, or goes to bed before 10 pm), and I try to plan my work schedule around the kid's activity schedules, so...yeah. See you guys soon (I hope).

Carry on.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's New Manatees - FULL! :-) Rss Feed  

of 31