BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2009-04-17 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1876643

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Subject: RE: kalalau's Group - FULL for now
Dave,

Good luck in OC this weekend.

I've never done an organized bike event but they sound very interesting. We should all get together for one.

2009-04-18 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I've sure we'll find one.  I haven't studied much beyond Eagleman yet.  Did I mention Double Creek yet?  June 20th I think.  Usually a half marathon and a metric century but since it is a week after Eagleman, I think I will be doing just the bike ride.  Will be nice to not be rushing to get done before the volunteers leave this year.  Usually I am starting the ride over 2 hours after the ride officially starts due to the half marathon.

Oh you have a race around that time.  Doh.

2009-04-18 2:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Ocean City update.  What a great weekend.  It's awesome out here, I would like to head back to the beach.  I posted my race report:

Ocean City Half Marathon

The ranking looks great, 38th place overall!  There were 409 people registered.  Age group ranking doesn't look as great, 9th place, don't know how many finished.

Standing in the 50 degree ocean after the race was awesome, but really hard to do.

2009-04-19 12:34 AM
in reply to: #2094032

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Great job on the race!  It sounds like you had fun and ran a good race.  Sorry you missed your goal by so little.  I know how that can suck.  38th overall is great though!  Maybe a race worth looking into next year. 
2009-04-19 6:33 AM

User image

Chicago, IL
So...Abbiesue getting a "real" bike...greatest thing you could ever do.

I completed the Pioneer Triathlon out in Petersburg, IL yesterday.  First one ever, the experience is AWESOME!!!  I had a blast and I cannot wait to do it again.

I cannot complete a race report at this time because I did not want to huddle around the one posting of results on printed paper.  I mean, c'mon, I am not sure about you all, but every time I go to print something, I have the option of how many copies I want to make, right?  You would think, you could print, I don't know, maybe 5 or 10 copies and have them posted in, 10 different places, so everyone can study the results.  I simply glanced , saw my name in 19th place, and left.  It was about 3:30 in the afternoon, I had a 3.5 hour drive and I had a Blackhawks playoff game to watch.

I felt great in the swim, my T1 was a bit marred by my right side Yankz that was not cooperating.  I hit the bike with my old mountain bike (that is another story) and just did the best I could. T2 was fine and the run was ok.  The story of the day was, the water stations.  

As I came out of T2 I asked for water, someone gave me "water" and I ended up with a mouth full of HEED, so mad.  I had sucked down a gel during the bike and had water, so I was fine with sodium and carbs, just needed a little water.  The temperature was about 70 and overcast, a bit warm.  I DO NOT handle sports drinks well on the run, I get the side stitches sometimes.  So on the run, I had to concentrate on not getting a cramp.  I never did cramp, but I did flirt with one for about 1.4 miles after that.  At the second water station, they literally set the garbage can like 10 feet away from the table and only on the left side.  Water was served on the right.  I did not notice the only garbage can on the left and grabbed water on the right (Heed was on the left) ran past the left sided garbage can, had to stop , turnaround and throw away my cup to avoid the penalty.  Then at the third water station, you know the one right before the 1/3 of a mile gradual steep climb before the last 1/4 of a mile to the finish, they ONLY HAD HEED!!!! NO WATER!!!!! 

I still ran strong, but I had taken the time to drive the run course 3 times before running it, visualizing and planning it out in my head.  At the end of the day, you make it through and have a great time.  I was just a little frustrated in the heat of the moment.  When I can get my actual results and complete the race report, I will let you know.  Sorry for the entry overload, but in a really weird way, you guys are kind of the only ones I can vent to that would "get it" . Actually, its not that weird, really.

I hope you all had a great weekend, stay healthy and safe. 

Edited by gone 2009-04-19 6:39 AM
2009-04-19 5:58 PM
in reply to: #2094857

User image

Randolph, NJ
gone - 2009-04-18 7:33 PM So...Abbiesue getting a "real" bike...greatest thing you could ever do.

I completed the Pioneer Triathlon out in Petersburg, IL yesterday.  First one ever, the experience is AWESOME!!!  I had a blast and I cannot wait to do it again.

CONGRATS - I am SOOOO excited/jealous  u finished your first triathlon! Way to go! I still have a few more months before mine! Feel free to pass on ANY info u think may b useful.

The bike is awesome! I think I finally have it figured out! I have a race this weekend though and I am not as ready for it as I thought I would be. So this week I really need to focus on running. I thought I would be able to get out today for a long ride...but instead sat at my sons track meet for 4+ hours...ugh...its fun when he runs but the rest of the time its like watching paint dry...at least it was somewhat warm.

KALALAU - AWESOME job on ur race! and u still had the energy to run more?

BECKY - silly question...perhaps...when u say "dropped a chain"  is it something i need to know how to fix? We didnt cover that at the bile store... ?!?!

2009-04-19 10:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Dave your results are up:

Pioneer Sprint Triathlon

Wow, 19th of 118.  6th overall on the swim!  11th overall in the run with a 6:50 pace!

I can't believe you averaged 18.7mph on a mountain bike.  It's too bad that this was a pool start, if everyone started at the same time, you'd stick out and people would be pointing at you for being up there in the front with a mountain bike.  Incredible.  You still might be the subject of stories.  "Dude, I saw this guy BLOW past me on his mountain bike!"

I would like to see what you can do on a real bike.  With clipless pedals, and aerobars.  And one day, all the other fast gear you are going to buy.  You compete in this sport pretty well.

It's pretty unusual to have a mandatory trash can that you are throwing cups into.  Most of the time you throw them on the ground off to the side where the volunteers can get them.  At bike aid stations, there is a mandatory area that you have to throw your old bottles to.  Usually right before the aid station, or right after.  If you litter elsewhere you will get a penalty.

The race results being printed with one copy is pretty normal, as well as the crowding around.  It would be wasteful to print more than one.  Also, keep in mind that since people are continually finishing, they are already printing multiple copies as more people come in.  Especially in a race like yours where everyone is starting at a different time.

Edited by kalalau 2009-04-19 10:10 PM
2009-04-19 10:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Thanks for the props about the OC Half everyone. 

Roger and I went out on the Eagleman bike course today.  WINDY!  Wow.  And the Choptank River was.. CHOPPY!  Imagine that.  It would've been a rough race, if done today.  There was also a 5-8 mile section of grooved road on the bike course.  Sure hope they fix that!  Other than all that, the bike looks really really fast.  But those things significantly cut into our speed.

Becky, about the metric century, it looks like we have 7 hours to make the 63 miles (hey, when did 63 miles become a metric century?).  So 9 miles per hour if you didn't stop.  And we get lunch, ice cream, and brownies!  I sure hope we can put ice cream on the brownies.  Will bike for food!

2009-04-19 10:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Pioneer -

32nd fastest bike split, on a mountain bike. :-)  LOL.  Did you pass any disc or ZIPP wheels out there?

You actually ranked worse in your transition times than in any of your sports.  Still not that bad, especially for a first timer.  But where you are finishing, these become pretty important.

Say you used a road bike.  It would be easy to think you would've averaged the 21.6mph rider I see up higher.  If you did that extra 3mph on a road bike, you crack the top 8.

Now the bad news.  The hardest age groups to get awards in are the males 30-39 and males 40-49.  You might already know that from running though.

Edited by kalalau 2009-04-19 10:51 PM
2009-04-19 11:18 PM
in reply to: #2096242

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-04-19 11:17 PM

Thanks for the props about the OC Half everyone. 

Roger and I went out on the Eagleman bike course today.  WINDY!  Wow.  And the Choptank River was.. CHOPPY!  Imagine that.  It would've been a rough race, if done today.  There was also a 5-8 mile section of grooved road on the bike course.  Sure hope they fix that!  Other than all that, the bike looks really really fast.  But those things significantly cut into our speed.

Becky, about the metric century, it looks like we have 7 hours to make the 63 miles (hey, when did 63 miles become a metric century?).  So 9 miles per hour if you didn't stop.  And we get lunch, ice cream, and brownies!  I sure hope we can put ice cream on the brownies.  Will bike for food!

Grooved road?  That's not cool.  I had seen that the metric century was 63 miles.  I didn't do the math to see if that was right... I also saw that with an 8am start, you might as well shoot me if I don't finish by 3pm.  We may start later though because we are going to a concert the night before...that's if J gets his bike fixed.  Long story.  I need to get to bed, but I have a question to write tomorrow.  Good night!

edit:  10k = 6.2 miles, so 100k would be 62 miles...pretty close anyway!

Edited by ras26 2009-04-20 10:03 AM
2009-04-20 9:39 AM

User image

Chicago, IL
My race report is up now.  Thanks Dave...I read the rules and obviously had no idea how they actually translate in a race.  I will keep all of your feedback in mind.

That's why I gave Abbisue props for buying a "real" bike.  It was frustrating to be out there on a mountain bike.  I got passed by 4 people and passed one guy.  I guestimated the same as you did.  I know my effort was within range.  I think it may have hurt me on the run as well because I put soooo much more effort into the bike than I should have, my legs held up but I could have been stronger on the run.

Overall, I am ok with it.  That T1 time did hurt, embarassing.  I wish someone had a video of me struggling with my right side Yankz.  It would probably make a good Youtube video entitled "Dances with Yankz" or something, ugh!

I do appreciate the feed back though, thank you.  I am humbly trying to request that they switch me out of the Olympic size race and into the Sprint for Tempe.  I do not think I would be as prepared to finish the Olympic the way I would want to.  Although I think the longer run would help me out.  I tend to run stronger after mile 3.

Back to training...

2009-04-20 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2096835

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
gone - 2009-04-20 10:39 AM My race report is up now.  Thanks Dave...I read the rules and obviously had no idea how they actually translate in a race.  I will keep all of your feedback in mind.

That's why I gave Abbisue props for buying a "real" bike.  It was frustrating to be out there on a mountain bike.  I got passed by 4 people and passed one guy.  I guestimated the same as you did.  I know my effort was within range.  I think it may have hurt me on the run as well because I put soooo much more effort into the bike than I should have, my legs held up but I could have been stronger on the run.

Overall, I am ok with it.  That T1 time did hurt, embarassing.  I wish someone had a video of me struggling with my right side Yankz.  It would probably make a good Youtube video entitled "Dances with Yankz" or something, ugh!

I do appreciate the feed back though, thank you.  I am humbly trying to request that they switch me out of the Olympic size race and into the Sprint for Tempe.  I do not think I would be as prepared to finish the Olympic the way I would want to.  Although I think the longer run would help me out.  I tend to run stronger after mile 3.

Back to training...

Congrats on a great race!  Seems like you did quite well, especially for your first.  I've heard there are always mistakes to iron out after the first one, so I am sure you'll continue to get faster, especially in transition.  I'm so jealous you've done your first race!  Mine still seems a ways away, and I've been training so long, I can't wait for it to get here...
2009-04-20 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
So here's a question for any of you with a triple on their bike that don't suck like I do.  I am still really struggling (ie not able to execute) with terrain where there is a steep decent (like 30mph not pedaling) immediately followed by a very steep ascent.  Even if I am not powering down the hill in my most difficult gear, I can't seem to get shifted into the smallest front cog before I *really* need it going up the hill.  Yesterday I tried to be proactive and shift into the easier gears going down the hill, but it was hard to stay stable since the gears were way too easy going down.  Once I thought I almost had it, but I was still in too difficult of gear on the back, so it wouldn't quite make the shift to the smallest front cog.  There was just too much pressure to get it to shift.  The next time, I thought I'd be smarter, and I am not sure what went wrong.  I shifted in front earlier, it completely fell off, and by the time that all happened, the downhill ended and I'd lost my momentum going up the steep climb and couldn't dynamically recover.  Please give me any tips or hints you have to help me!  It is ultimately very frustrating.  I can fix the situation by getting off and either putting back the chain, or placing it in the right gear, but it takes about 2-3 minutes.  It's not that I can't do the steep climbs, I just have to be in the right gear, and the "V" type situations I just can't figure out...
2009-04-20 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2095745

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
abbiesue - 2009-04-19 6:58 PM

BECKY - silly question...perhaps...when u say "dropped a chain"  is it something i need to know how to fix? We didnt cover that at the bile store... ?!?!

Trust me, you'll know it if it happens.  I'm not really sure how you cause it to happen (otherwise I wouldn't do it!), but it's usually a mistake while shifting.  Basically the chain falls off of the front cogs.  Sometimes you can dynamically recover by using your shifters to coax is back up onto where it's supposed to be.  If not, unclip before you lose all momentum and fall down still clipped in (not fun).  All you do is get off and place the chain back where it belongs.  Your hands will now be black and  your white bar tape will be filthy.  Make sure you put it back in the ring that it "thinks" it's on.  Pretty simple!  Hopefully you won't have any problems.  :-)
2009-04-20 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2096283

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

ras26 - 2009-04-20 12:18 AM

Grooved road?  That's not cool.  I had seen that the metric century was 63 miles.  I didn't do the math to see if that was right... I also saw that with an 8am start, you might as well shoot me if I don't finish by 3pm.  We may start later though because we are going to a concert the night before...that's if J gets his bike fixed.  Long story.  I need to get to bed, but I have a question to write tomorrow.  Good night!

edit:  10k = 6.2 miles, so 100k would be 62 miles...pretty close anyway!

I sent a note to the race director just to make sure they know about it and can check it out.  I can't imagine them not rerouting the course if that stays there.  But, they probably know about it and have been guaranteed it will be done in tmie.

It's pretty normal for a metric century (or century) to be slightly off, as it's not that important.  It's just funny to read. :-)  Some triathlons are the same way but not as much so.  Trail running races are definitely in the same category.  They don't care about being exact on the "5 mile trail race".  Partly because it would be hard to do that, and partly because it's not in the spirit of the way trail runners think.

2009-04-20 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2096835

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

gone - 2009-04-20 10:39 AM My race report is up now.  Thanks Dave...I read the rules and obviously had no idea how they actually translate in a race.  I will keep all of your feedback in mind.

Back to training...

Ok, will read the race report today sometime.  There's nothing to be embarassed about with your transition times, you still ranked really well with them.  Wait til you see other first-timer transition times and see how slow they are. :-)  Time can pass by so quickly.

Which rules did you read that you think you might not have understood until racing it?

Why do you think you aren't ready for the Olympic size?  Saturday's race isn't an indication of your Olympic fitness because you would go a bit slower in a Olympic race.  That's sort of similar to saying you felt like throwing up after a 5k so you must not be ready for 10k.  But you felt like throwing up because you really pushed hard on the 5k, where you would be backing off slightly for the 10k.

You know better than us though.  It seems obvious that you are going to rank high in either one.  If you stick with this triathlon thing, you're going to get even faster and rank higher because you'll learn a lot and get more gear to make you fast.

2009-04-20 12:38 PM
in reply to: #2096903

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

ras26 - 2009-04-20 10:57 AM So here's a question for any of you with a triple on their bike that don't suck like I do.  I am still really struggling (ie not able to execute) with terrain where there is a steep decent (like 30mph not pedaling) immediately followed by a very steep ascent.  Even if I am not powering down the hill in my most difficult gear, I can't seem to get shifted into the smallest front cog before I *really* need it going up the hill.  Yesterday I tried to be proactive and shift into the easier gears going down the hill, but it was hard to stay stable since the gears were way too easy going down.  Once I thought I almost had it, but I was still in too difficult of gear on the back, so it wouldn't quite make the shift to the smallest front cog.  There was just too much pressure to get it to shift.  The next time, I thought I'd be smarter, and I am not sure what went wrong.  I shifted in front earlier, it completely fell off, and by the time that all happened, the downhill ended and I'd lost my momentum going up the steep climb and couldn't dynamically recover.  Please give me any tips or hints you have to help me!  It is ultimately very frustrating.  I can fix the situation by getting off and either putting back the chain, or placing it in the right gear, but it takes about 2-3 minutes.  It's not that I can't do the steep climbs, I just have to be in the right gear, and the "V" type situations I just can't figure out...

That does stink, I hope you figure it out.  Sometimes the chain can come off in the front if you are cross-chaining (don't know if that's the right word).  Do you tend to be in the highest gear in the back, when you shift down in the front?  You should shift down in the back a little bit before shifting down in the front.  You should try to prevent the chain from being angled if you look at it from the back to the front.

It could also be a tuneup problem.  When was the last time you had it tuned up?  When I bought my bike, REI told me to bring it back after 100 miles for a free tuneup because that's about the break-in time for new cables.

About shifting in general, I wouldn't go downhill in a lower gear to resolve the problem, because you are just stealing your momentum.  You just need to recognize on the uphill, when you need to shift and how much.  It's all about timing.  Just keep going out there and practicing around the house (ok, outside of the house).  Find a hill that illustrated the problem and just keep repeating it until you figure it out.

There are some tips in general about climbing hills, and I'm not sure I'm that good at it, but I like these articles:

1.  I like this one because it talks about strategies on different kinds of hills, but doesn't really talk about shifting gears too much:

How to Climb a Hill

2.  I like this one because it covers so much.  Make sure you read 101 and 102.  Read up on where you are seating yourself.  I have heard about the "sit in the back of the seat" thing before.  I hadn't read about lower the heels before, I will have to try that.

Hill Climbing 101

This article also mentions making sure that you pedal in a circle.  This is sound advice for everyone in this group.  Most of us don't use force in our pedal stroke, all throughout the stroke.  You will get more out of your legs if you apply force all the way through.  To get a good feeling of this, try pedaling with just one leg, for practice.  When you are doing it correctly, this is not hard to do.  When you practice with one leg, make the stroke nice and smooth, all the way around.  On the bottom part of the stroke, move the feet back like you are wiping mud off your feet on a step or something.  I know I can improve on this myself.

It's good that you already know the trick of popping the chain back on without getting off the bike. :-)

2009-04-20 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I just searched our forums and come upon a nice hill climbing article that really drives home the idea of using force throughout the whole pedal stroke.  It describes it in detail and with illustrations:

Climbing Faster

These are good tips for me as well.

2009-04-20 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2094857

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
gone - 2009-04-19 7:33 AM

• I felt great in the swim, my T1 was a bit marred by my right side Yankz that was not cooperating.  I hit the bike with my old mountain bike (that is another story) and just did the best I could. T2 was fine and the run was ok.  The story of the day was, the water stations.  

• Dave, this should make you feel better. Check out my transition times from my first tri in 2007

864 STEVE CAMP 42 GLEN BURNIE MD 3:27:25 837 34:09 900 6:54 863 1:37:03 15.7 865 2:18:05 916 4:55 818 1:04:26 10:23

6:54 and 4:44. That's almost 11 minutes in transition!!! I didn't have a clue on anything. I would say you;re way ahead of the curve for your 1st race.
    2009-04-21 12:13 PM

Hey all.
    Well, I may be out of commission for the season, but I'm still very enthusiastic about tri-sport.  I think this enthusiasm is contagious.

My daughter (age 10) is now interested in competing in a kids' triathlon in June.  I mentioned it to her last fall, and she's been asking about it ever since.

I avoided discussing it for a while because I want to be sure I'm not pushing her into anything she's not comfortable with.  I don't want to be one of those dads that projects his interests onto his kids.  She seems genuinely interested.

So here's the question - Does anyone have experience with training kids?  She's probably too young for hardcore endurance training.  She also does soccer and gymnastics during the week.  My plan is to do a run/bike with her on Saturdays, and maybe a swim on Sundays (or vice versa.  We'll mix it up).  She is comfortable swimming (has taken lessons).

Distance is 75 yd swim, 3 mi bike, 1 mi run.  Finishing won't be a problem, so we'll be working on speed.
    2009-04-22 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Fulton
    Dave, thanks for the climbing links.  There is a lot of great info there.  I see you've been busy on the Eagleman forum.  You're just full of great information, aren't you!  :-

It's been pretty quiet here.  How is training going for everyone?  Abbie, how's the bike going?  Chicago Dave, how is your race recovery going?  Steve, I haven't checked your logs recently.  What have you been up to?

Mike -- I don't have kids, (so take this for what it's worth) but I have worked with them a lot.  If your daughter just wants to try it out for fun, I would make sure she can go the distances, but wouldn't put much into "training" since I am sure soccer and gymnastics keep her busy.  Offer to ride or run if she wants, but I wouldn't want it to be too structured.  If she's already a type-A kid and is going to be crushed if she doesn't win, maybe some more structured routine (still not too strenuous) would make her feel more prepared. 

2009-04-23 12:55 AM

User image

Chicago, IL
    Steve - Thanks for sharing that with me...I do appreciate it.  I hope to do better in AZ for sure.

I am not sure how I am doing with recovery actually.  I realized that I never asked the question...how do you recover?  On Monday I ran a light 2 miles and  biked for 20 min in Zone 1.  I then lifted for about 30 minutes or so, nothing crazy.  I took Tuesday off and on Wed, swam about 300 yds, warmed up on the bike for 20 and then went about 80-90 % for about 45 min.  All HR based training.  Leaning on more protein in the diet and glucose and some simple sugars.  LOTS of stretching.  Is that too much? My body feels ok with it so far, even though my body just seems tired in general, it's slowly getting stronger again.  I plan to hit it hard starting next week for 2 weeks, to prepare for Tempe.  I have switched to the Sprint and will debut the Olympic size on Aug. 28th in Chicago.  All my friends and family will be there and I am going to rock that one for the distance.  I guess I feel that I have too much to prove to myself with a Sprint before I can move on.  Not to mention it was like 102 degrees in PHX yesterday...UGH!

I hope everyone is doing well and training safe. 

Edited by gone 2009-04-23 2:57 PM
    2009-04-24 1:21 PM

User image

Randolph, NJ
    Hi ALL - Hope everyone is out enjoying this awesome weather! I have my first race of the year on Sunday. It's a 5K thru the Lincoln Tunnel. It's suppose to be pretty hot this weekend...wonder how warn that tunnel will get! PLUS they have had a record number of participants...so far 2700 are pre-registered!!! Do you think that many will even fit in the tunnel? I am so nuts about trying to improve my time...hope i will even be able to move.

I have not been doing much biking - just fooling around trying to get familiar with it. What's your opinion...take tomorrow as a rest day...since the race is Sunday? Will that give me the best shot at doing well? I know it's only a 5K ...but any other advise?
    2009-04-24 1:31 PM
    in reply to: #2104441

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Maryland

gone - 2009-04-23 1:55 AM Steve - Thanks for sharing that with me...I do appreciate it.  I hope to do better in AZ for sure.

I am not sure how I am doing with recovery actually.  I realized that I never asked the question...how do you recover?  On Monday I ran a light 2 miles and  biked for 20 min in Zone 1.  I then lifted for about 30 minutes or so, nothing crazy.  I took Tuesday off and on Wed, swam about 300 yds, warmed up on the bike for 20 and then went about 80-90 % for about 45 min.  All HR based training.  Leaning on more protein in the diet and glucose and some simple sugars.  LOTS of stretching.  Is that too much? My body feels ok with it so far, even though my body just seems tired in general, it's slowly getting stronger again.  I plan to hit it hard starting next week for 2 weeks, to prepare for Tempe.  I have switched to the Sprint and will debut the Olympic size on Aug. 28th in Chicago.  All my friends and family will be there and I am going to rock that one for the distance.  I guess I feel that I have too much to prove to myself with a Sprint before I can move on.  Not to mention it was like 102 degrees in PHX yesterday...UGH!

I hope everyone is doing well and training safe. 

Wow, 102 in Phoenix.  No wonder they moved the Ironman Arizona race to the fall. :-)  It was in April.

Sounds to me like you are doing fine with your recover.  Just stay in tune with your body and don't push it when it is tired.  The fact that you can feel it getting stronger, is a sign that you are handling the recovery phase fine.  When you start going strong again next week, just pay attention, and if you are getting tired, take it easy a day or two.  If you push it too hard too soon, the tiredness will last longer.  I swear I was tired for months after Ironman Arizona.  Probably because I started training for the Disney Marathon too quickly. :-)

2009-04-24 1:40 PM
    in reply to: #2108332

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Maryland

abbiesue - 2009-04-24 2:21 PM Hi ALL - Hope everyone is out enjoying this awesome weather! I have my first race of the year on Sunday. It's a 5K thru the Lincoln Tunnel. It's suppose to be pretty hot this weekend...wonder how warn that tunnel will get! PLUS they have had a record number of participants...so far 2700 are pre-registered!!! Do you think that many will even fit in the tunnel? I am so nuts about trying to improve my time...hope i will even be able to move.

I have not been doing much biking - just fooling around trying to get familiar with it. What's your opinion...take tomorrow as a rest day...since the race is Sunday? Will that give me the best shot at doing well? I know it's only a 5K ...but any other advise?

If you are looking to rock this 5k, yes, sure take off on Saturday.  If you get antsy, go for an easy bike ride or swim.

The tunnel will be two lanes, correct?  That sounds narrow for 2700 people. :-)  But most of these people will be casual runners.  If you are doing sub 8 min miles, you are going to be ahead of the pack, but still in a decent crowd.  Also, keep in mind that you are going downhill into the tunnel, so when you see a 7 min mile (or lower) for that mile, don't freak out that you are going too fast.  Use your body to judge if you are going too fast.  You probably will start out too fast, but I don't know how to tell you to hold back except to say don't start out too fast. :-)  Make sure you have plenty to crush that last mile.

If you REALLY want to get ahead of the crowd, then yes start out fast, but it might hurt your overall time.  Sometimes it is worth it to me.  Make sure you seed yourself so that you are not behind too many people.  I believe you should be easily in the top 25-33% of people.  Make sure you are around that spot in the starting line.  If you have to push through people to get to that spot, then do it, they don't mind.  You do not want to be behind 2000 people slower than you.

The tunnel may be cooler than the outside, but I suspect it will be humid.  Quite the conditions.  I also wonder how well the car exhaust will be sticking around.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  

of 38