BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-01-03 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2559403

Uxbridge
Subject: RE: Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED
Thanks for all the crock pot recipes. I love my crockpot. I have actually burned mine out so that I will have to buy a new one this week.

Snowing here all weekend. I am leaving for Florida in 48 hours and I cant wait.

2010-01-03 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2590947

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario

mav - I was thinking that along with eating better in the new year perhaps we should do a distance challenge. ( I stole this idea from  my mentor Bryan) How  'bout we all try to complete and iron distance this month 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of biking and 26.2 of running????For some this might be a bit of a challenge for thers not so much. But it could be fun

Kevin, I know you are injured...so you can only complete the swim portion ( or perhaps double or triple it!)

What do you all think??

I'm in!

Nathalie

2010-01-03 4:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-01-03 4:27 PM
in reply to: #2590967

Nats - 2010-01-03 3:46 PM

mav - I was thinking that along with eating better in the new year perhaps we should do a distance challenge. ( I stole this idea from  my mentor Bryan) How  'bout we all try to complete and iron distance this month 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of biking and 26.2 of running????For some this might be a bit of a challenge for thers not so much. But it could be fun

Kevin, I know you are injured...so you can only complete the swim portion ( or perhaps double or triple it!)

What do you all think??

I'm in!

Nathalie

Me too!

Lisa L

Edited by lklarsen 2010-01-03 4:27 PM
2010-01-03 4:34 PM

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
I love crockpot365! I use recipes from there all the time. (Not all of them are healthy, but most of them can be fixed.)
2010-01-03 4:36 PM

Champion
And I'll play for the ironman challenge - my goals (at least right now) are 9000m swim, 8.25 hours bike (~135 miles?), and 6.5 hours run (~38 miles). I'm off to a whiz-bang start though, so I might increase those. (Well, off to a whiz-bang start on the bike & run...haven't hit the pool yet, but plan on doing that while the Monkeys are swimming.

2010-01-03 5:40 PM

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
I am in for the challenge
2010-01-03 6:01 PM

2010-01-03 6:44 PM

Expert
WV

mav - 2010-01-03 2:36 PM sweetums...so nice of you to try and help Helen with her night shift eating.

I was thinking that along with eating better in the new year perhaps we should do a distance challenge. ( I stole this idea from  my mentor Bryan) How  'bout we all try to complete and iron distance this month 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of biking and 26.2 of running????For some this might be a bit of a challenge for thers not so much. But it could be fun

What do you all think??

I think that sounds GREAT!

2010-01-03 6:47 PM
in reply to: #2591247

Veteran
Lakeland, FL
I'm in.  If I can stick to the training plan it shouldnt be a problem. 
2010-01-03 6:54 PM

Expert
WV

My greatest obstacle are students and peers.  They know being fit and working out are important to my yet they don't respect my needs. There are days where I can't get the students out of my office....even though it is outside of my posted office hours.  It happens all the time.  I am even dressed and ready to head to the pool or out the door to run.  I even tell them to come back.  I have missed so many workouts.  Or, my colleagues schedule or call meetings for during those times.  My one peer likes to call student research group meetings @ 5.  And, we are there until 7 or 8. It drives me insane.  He even acknowledges the impact to my workout time to me and the students.  But, it happened EVERY MONDAY last semester.  I told him no but to no avail.  True, I could do that but the spin classes are over, the pool is closed by the time we are done, and I have been at school since 7 AM.  I don't get why there is a need to meet after 430 for anything faculty-related or even student-related. 

2010-01-03 8:07 PM

Uxbridge
I apologize to my Canadian friends...I am mathematically challenged!!!
2010-01-03 8:22 PM
in reply to: #2591460

2010-01-04 1:21 AM

Veteran
Auburn, Wa
Hey All, I'm in for the challenge. It will have to be time for me, at least for the bike portion. I'm checking out some local pools tomorrow.
So I finally pulled the trigger. Found a great tri shop in Seattle!! Super staff, smart, friendly, and yeah and I ordered a Cervelo S1!!! I'm so psyched!! It won't be in till either the end of this month or sometime in Feb., I'll find out on Tuesday. Thanks to all who gave me advice on this purchase. I will post pictures when she arrives!!
Have a super Monday all!!! Chris
2010-01-04 7:03 AM
in reply to: #2591274

Uxbridge
Dr Hammer - 2010-01-03 7:54 PM

My greatest obstacle are students and peers.  They know being fit and working out are important to my yet they don't respect my needs. There are days where I can't get the students out of my office....even though it is outside of my posted office hours.  It happens all the time.  I am even dressed and ready to head to the pool or out the door to run.  I even tell them to come back.  I have missed so many workouts.  Or, my colleagues schedule or call meetings for during those times.  My one peer likes to call student research group meetings @ 5.  And, we are there until 7 or 8. It drives me insane.  He even acknowledges the impact to my workout time to me and the students.  But, it happened EVERY MONDAY last semester.  I told him no but to no avail.  True, I could do that but the spin classes are over, the pool is closed by the time we are done, and I have been at school since 7 AM.  I don't get why there is a need to meet after 430 for anything faculty-related or even student-related. 

Suzie, I have always had the greatest respect for those who teach! I think many underestimate the time and preparation that goes into teaching/mentoring students. SOunds like you do a great job. As for your peers that schedule late meetings...tell them to get a life...better yet show up in your tri gear
2010-01-04 7:05 AM
in reply to: #2591762

Uxbridge
erlifeguard - 2010-01-04 2:21 AM Hey All, I'm in for the challenge. It will have to be time for me, at least for the bike portion. I'm checking out some local pools tomorrow. So I finally pulled the trigger. Found a great tri shop in Seattle!! Super staff, smart, friendly, and yeah and I ordered a Cervelo S1!!! I'm so psyched!! It won't be in till either the end of this month or sometime in Feb., I'll find out on Tuesday. Thanks to all who gave me advice on this purchase. I will post pictures when she arrives!! Have a super Monday all!!! Chris

WOO HOO Chris!!!
Nothing like a new bike to start the year!!! Cant wait to see pics. You and Helen can compare your Cervelos!!!!

2010-01-04 7:12 AM

Champion

I feel for you - we have a standing faculty meeting scheduled for 4pm on Wednesdays...why?why?why?why? Particularly when many on the faculty have young kids who need to be retrieved from day care (not to mention other important stuff, like training!). I must be meaner to students than you, because I have walked out on them, but it is tricky when it's your peers.
2010-01-04 7:13 AM

Champion
My baby is 5 today! WHOO WHOO!
2010-01-04 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2591020

Champion
the colony texas
Bopper - 2010-01-03 4:20 PM

mav - 2010-01-03 4:36 PM sweetums...so nice of you to try and help Helen with her night shift eating.

I was thinking that along with eating better in the new year perhaps we should do a distance challenge. ( I stole this idea from  my mentor Bryan) How  'bout we all try to complete and iron distance this month 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of biking and 26.2 of running????For some this might be a bit of a challenge for thers not so much. But it could be fun

What do you all think??

Miles?? what are miles?? lol

That's right good ol non metric miles baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in for the challenge
2010-01-04 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2590943

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
kew - 2010-01-03 4:33 PM

Hi gang...

The biggest obstacle I have is guilt.  Being a single mom (their dad is not involved with them much) I feel guilty leaving them alone after the recent divorce.  Now I know they're 15 and 18 and probably wouldn't even miss me, but I like them to know I am here for them if they need me (also make sure they're doing their homework).

Saving for a treadmill for downstairs in the garage and will set up my trainer there too.  That would leave just swim workouts and my long runs (which I prefer to do outside).  Lately, I have been getting up early to do my runs (while the kids are still asleep) and I am back before they wake up.

I love my crockpot.  One of the things I cook in it is lasagne.  I use the "oven ready" noodles and make the sauce a little thicker than I normally do.

A trainer workout is planned for today.  Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone.

I hear you on the Mommy guilt thing. I felt that a lot last summer when I was training for Timberman.....felt like I was not there enough for my boys.  I think you have come up with great ways to train while still being there. And I know this is going to sound cliche but remember that taking time for yourself, for fitness is a POSITIVE thing. Your kids need a mother who is healthy and happy...........

Lasagne in the crockpot? What a GREAT idea!!  
2010-01-04 8:56 AM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow

Suzie....I think you are too nice!! Maybe you need to cultivate a bit of beeyatchiness?????
Seriously though....it does not seem fair to expect that you would be at everyones beck and call for over 12 hours at a time. And I do not have any bright ideas as to how to remedy this situation....     

2010-01-04 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2591762

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
erlifeguard - 2010-01-04 2:21 AM Hey All, I'm in for the challenge. It will have to be time for me, at least for the bike portion. I'm checking out some local pools tomorrow. So I finally pulled the trigger. Found a great tri shop in Seattle!! Super staff, smart, friendly, and yeah and I ordered a Cervelo S1!!! I'm so psyched!! It won't be in till either the end of this month or sometime in Feb., I'll find out on Tuesday. Thanks to all who gave me advice on this purchase. I will post pictures when she arrives!! Have a super Monday all!!! Chris

YAHOOOOOO!!!!! Congrats Chris! That is one fabulous bike............wow!!! 
2010-01-04 9:00 AM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
I am up for the challenge as well! I refuse to actually count laps in the pool....so I will estimate my meterage based on time spent in the water.
I am going to slowly start to ramp up my running again......so I will probably not be able to double Iron that distance just yet....... 
2010-01-04 10:18 AM

Expert
WV

Thanks for the input so far.  It is something I have dealt with for the last three years here. 

Kristen, I don’t understand your standing faculty mtg. time!! Maybe those who don’t have kids are trying to prove some kind of point???  On a bright not…at least it’s not Friday’s at 3:30 like ours.  That sucks trying to get to football games for coverage.  I usually leave ours by 4:15.

I agree I may be too nice, Helen.  It is a bit frustrating. I would have remedied this if I had any bright ideas.  I mean even shutting the door doesn’t work and trying to ignore them doesn't work.  If they know you are there, they will knock and knock like a bill collector.  The guy with the research mtgs. will call and call my phone until I answer.  DRIVES ME INSANE!!   He's worse than an obsessive boyfriend!  hmmm….tri gear? t-shirt and shorts aren’t enough.  hmmm, maybe I’ll bring in my bike as well???

2010-01-04 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2592318

Uxbridge
Dr Hammer - 2010-01-04 11:18 AM

Thanks for the input so far.  It is something I have dealt with for the last three years here. 

Kristen, I don’t understand your standing faculty mtg. time!! Maybe those who don’t have kids are trying to prove some kind of point???  On a bright not…at least it’s not Friday’s at 3:30 like ours.  That sucks trying to get to football games for coverage.  I usually leave ours by 4:15.

I agree I may be too nice, Helen.  It is a bit frustrating. I would have remedied this if I had any bright ideas.  I mean even shutting the door doesn’t work and trying to ignore them doesn't work.  If they know you are there, they will knock and knock like a bill collector.  The guy with the research mtgs. will call and call my phone until I answer.  DRIVES ME INSANE!!   He's worse than an obsessive boyfriend!  hmmm….tri gear? t-shirt and shorts aren’t enough.  hmmm, maybe I’ll bring in my bike as well???

Throw your helmet and suglasses on the table hint hint!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76