BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-03-10 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2718037

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!

IceManScott - 2010-03-10 8:46 AM Light bike then run (probably 5 plus) with the club workout program, Ride the Wave.  Should be a great day!

I did my bike this morning, even managed 17 minutes on the rollers without killing myself!  I did the bike in the am with plans of getting a nice run outside on the way home from work!

I hope you get a good run in Scott!

2010-03-10 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2578675

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
You wearing a cap?  Is it too tight?  Me don like 'em.

2010-03-10 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2718596

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

IceManScott - 2010-03-10 11:49 AM You wearing a cap?  Is it too tight?  Me don like 'em.

That is a good point Scott, I don't wear one for training so it didn't occur to me, but you could be right.

2010-03-10 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2718149

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
go4girl - 2010-03-10 8:33 AM

hello all,
Swam this morning 1200 m and have to thank Ryan for the shark fin drill video....I've been doing it all wrong. I tried the fist drill too this morning, every stroke I felt more and more like Mighty Mouse.

Question for you...Does anyone suffer from headaches after swimming? I don't know if I'm not breathing enough, or maybe pushing to hard...any ideas?

2x50 warm up
4x50 shark fin
4x50 fist
2x100 long focus on 3breath
1x400 kick
100 cool down

Rest about 10s between...sometimes more

Thanks

No problem, and you do a 1x400kick? holy jesus I would be dead if I did that. I had re constructive ankle surgery a few years ago, and i can't stretch it out all the way.  

Sounds like you had a great workout, and I'm glad the shark fin video helped. 
2010-03-10 11:03 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
Re Swimming: I had my cousin videotape me swimming a little bit so I could see my flaws from above.

http://www.youtube.com/v/G2WFLpvPluk

I do a few things wrong, which I need to correct:

1) When my hands enter the water, I cross over in-front of my face instead of keeping my arms straight out infront of me.  

2) When I get tired, my stroke gets short, thus limiting my power when I catch and pull

3) My kick, I can't flex my right ankle too much, so it more acts like a rudder than any sort of propulsion.  

4) My head turns way to much when I breathe. That is more of a recent problem, as I need to fix that.  

Any other thoughts? I always take critiques, it's how we learn!

Edited by ryanknapp 2010-03-10 11:05 AM
2010-03-11 12:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
You look good, man.  Take this for what it's worth from a very intermediate age grouper. One word - relax.   Your arms are tense.  Flow to go.  Easier is faster.  I think you are really focusing on the form, and that's great and it looks good.   But, you can overdo.   When I do, I lose breath fast, and I stop stretching out.  Also, head down when its not breathing.  That really helped. 

Otherwise, I think you look really good.  Your kick is up and down, not across your legs. You're not spending a lot of extra energy on creating splash.  Good work.   

My swim this morning was good.  A collection of distance and drills.  I felt good.  

2010-03-11 11:50 PM
in reply to: #2720958

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
IceManScott - 2010-03-11 12:25 PM You look good, man.  Take this for what it's worth from a very intermediate age grouper. One word - relax.   Your arms are tense.  Flow to go.  Easier is faster.  I think you are really focusing on the form, and that's great and it looks good.   But, you can overdo.   When I do, I lose breath fast, and I stop stretching out.  Also, head down when its not breathing.  That really helped. 

Otherwise, I think you look really good.  Your kick is up and down, not across your legs. You're not spending a lot of extra energy on creating splash.  Good work.   

My swim this morning was good.  A collection of distance and drills.  I felt good.  

Thanks Scott. The problem with me is if I don't take it easy, I start getting amped up and gas out too quick.  Definitely have to relax my arms and just my body some more.

How is everyone else's training coming along? I hope that some of the great weather we are having here in Buffalo is also in your hometowns and you can get outside for some fresh air and some great workouts! 
2010-03-12 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2722154

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Thanks Scott. The problem with me is if I don't take it easy, I start getting amped up and gas out too quick.  Definitely have to relax my arms and just my body some more.

How is everyone else's training coming along? I hope that some of the great weather we are having here in Buffalo is also in your hometowns and you can get outside for some fresh air and some great workouts! 

I was fortunate to get out for some running this week, looks like the rain is moving in for the weekend!  Bike will be a combo of trainer and rollers, but with any luck if it isn't raining too hard Sundays long run will be outside.

Good work this week!

2010-03-12 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2718634

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ryanknapp - 2010-03-10 12:03 PM Re Swimming: I had my cousin videotape me swimming a little bit so I could see my flaws from above.

http://www.youtube.com/v/G2WFLpvPluk

I do a few things wrong, which I need to correct:

1) When my hands enter the water, I cross over in-front of my face instead of keeping my arms straight out infront of me.  

2) When I get tired, my stroke gets short, thus limiting my power when I catch and pull

3) My kick, I can't flex my right ankle too much, so it more acts like a rudder than any sort of propulsion.  

4) My head turns way to much when I breathe. That is more of a recent problem, as I need to fix that.  

Any other thoughts? I always take critiques, it's how we learn!

From my limited swimming experience you looked pretty good, other than what you have already mentioned and Scott's comments.  You must be fairly comfortable as your bilateral breathing looks like it comes to you naturally.  Actually, the foot issue (especially for a triathlete) is more of a drag pointing down like that.  Once you put your wetsuit on for OWS, kicking is limited for most of us, but if you could get it pointed backwards you might gain some time.

Thanks for sharing, it always helps my swimming to watch others.

2010-03-12 1:06 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Just checking in...Considering I'm not allowed to do anything I have kind of stayed away from the TriTalk side of the board.  It's too frustrating.

I'm at week 4 after the knee surgery and saw the doc yesterday.  3 more weeks before I'm allowed to "test" it.  It's better each day but still cannot move it very fast.  Might try some swimming this week.

Lack of exercise is killing me however.  My stress levels are way up and I'm close to 10lbs up.  Eech!
2010-03-12 1:22 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I want to share some of my thoughts on running with you guys, and I will throw out the disclaimer that I am not a coach, but I like to run and I like to read about running (as well as biking).

I find that there is somewhat of a difference training for the run in a tri versus training to run a specific running event, like a 10K or marathon.  Not that there has to be, but for most of us our available training time forces this difference.  The difference is the amount of time spent running.  The most common question I see for running is how do I get faster.  In my experience the safest, best way to get faster is to run more.  Run more miles and run more often.  You should also remember the 10% rule, and that means that you should not increase your mileage more than 10% per week.  Very little of the miles should be "speed" work and unless you are consistently putting in 20 miles a week or more, the only speed work I would do is some 20 or 30 second strides, maybe 8 or 10 in the middle of a run.  Other wise, the rest of the miles should be in the Z1/Z2 range or a pace where you could carry on a conversation.  For my marathon this past January, I followed a plan that was fairly high mileage, mostly in the Z1/Z2 range, topped out at 55 + miles per week and 5 runs per week.  During this training, I broke my 5k PR and my 10K PR.   

Now for most of us, when training for tri's, finding the time to do the 3 or 4 runs per week in our plans is tough enough, let alone running 5 times per week.  So what is the secret to improving on the run in tri's?  Bike more!!! It does not matter how good a runner you are, if when you get off the bike your legs are like rubber from poor bike conditioning.  If I have to miss a workout for any reason, I will miss a run before missing a bike. 

To conclude, if you want to improve your running for this season bike more and do your best to get at least 3 runs a week in or whatever your coach or training plan schedules you for. I would also suggest, after the tri season, find a nice fall run to train for.  Maybe a Thanksgiving 10K, or early December half marathon.  Find a plan that is run focused that gets you running 4 or 5 days a week and is specifically geared towards the length of your race.

The last advice I would offer is to make sure you get to a running store and get your running shoes from someone that knows what they are doing.  It will probably cost more (I usually get the first pair fitted, then buy additional pairs on line) but your feet will thank you.

2010-03-12 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2723226

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

TriRSquared - 2010-03-12 2:06 PM Just checking in...Considering I'm not allowed to do anything I have kind of stayed away from the TriTalk side of the board.  It's too frustrating.

I'm at week 4 after the knee surgery and saw the doc yesterday.  3 more weeks before I'm allowed to "test" it.  It's better each day but still cannot move it very fast.  Might try some swimming this week.

Lack of exercise is killing me however.  My stress levels are way up and I'm close to 10lbs up.  Eech!

Good to hear from you!  It has to be difficult not being able to do the things you like!  Get a pull bouy and go for a swim until you can run or bike again!  Hang in there!!!

2010-03-12 1:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Get stronger on the bike to get stronger on the run = my strategy from the start of this quest. Thanks for the information on the run.  What I've been reading lately, triathlete coaches are suggesting to build up to 2 hours for the long run.  They are concerned longer runs carry to big a recovery time afterward.  Unsure about that advice yet.  I think it may be sound for the half marathon, but as far as confidence goes, I would love to know if I can run close to a marathon before I ask myself to do it in an IM.  Any thoughts? 
2010-03-12 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2723315

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

IceManScott - 2010-03-12 2:44 PM Get stronger on the bike to get stronger on the run = my strategy from the start of this quest. Thanks for the information on the run.  What I've been reading lately, triathlete coaches are suggesting to build up to 2 hours for the long run.  They are concerned longer runs carry to big a recovery time afterward.  Unsure about that advice yet.  I think it may be sound for the half marathon, but as far as confidence goes, I would love to know if I can run close to a marathon before I ask myself to do it in an IM.  Any thoughts? 

I have heard that some are recommending 2 hours, I am not buying that.  For stand alone marathons I prefer to train by mileage rather than time, but I did several (6 or 7) I think) 18 - 22 mile runs, all of which were 3 hours plus.  I would buy a 3 hour limit in ironman training, just because of the overall volume.  Plus for most of us the ironman marathon is going to be a run/walk combo.  But you are right about some of the value in the long run being the confidence to finish.

Edited by kenj 2010-03-12 2:18 PM
2010-03-12 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Run/walk, Galloway, I dig it.
2010-03-13 10:03 AM

Hello all...
  I'm new to your group (thanks ken), hopefully nobody has any objections.  I'll give you a very brief overview of myself and I'll try to spare you with too many boring details...Laughing

FAMILY: I am 39 and married to my my beautiful wife of 15yrs.  We have a 7 yr. old (going on 13) that is in 2nd grade.  We live in Northwestern Ohio..Go Bucks!

WORK:  I currently work in the tool and die trade as a design engineer.  Started out as an apprentice, obtained my journeyman's card and eventually worked my way into design and engineering.
  I've decided that manufacturing isn't the place for me and the future of manufacturing, especially the automotive industry, is pretty gloom.  Therefore, I decided several years ago that it was time for a career change.  I decided to go back to school and am currently in my final year of college on course to graduate May 2011 with a degree in accounting.

PAST TRI EXPERIENCE:  Growing up I was always very active in sports including football, basketball and baseball.  As I aged as with many people, my lifestyle changed.  I got away from an active lifestyle and found myself being very comfortable...and lazy.  The weight slowly added up and even thinking of competing in a tri was a joke to me.  Well, last year a good friend of mine convinced me to give it a try.  I fell in love with it!  I found the training to be a great stress release as well as a way of shedding those unwanted pounds.  Last year I completed my first ever 5k and ended the summer with my 1st Sprint Tri.  This year I'd like to compete in several 5k's, another Sprint and and Olympic Tri as well as shed an additional 35lbs.  Biking is definitely my better of the 3 sports.  I did take swim lessons last year while preparing for my Sprint.  Most definitely worth the $$.  When it comes to running...well, let's just say it isn't my best sport...I am slow to say the least, but keep working at it.

CURRENT CHALLENGES: Juggling work, school, family and training.  I've found that not looking too far ahead is best for me.  Planning a weekly schedule and doing my best to stick with it seems to work well.  I try to take it one day at a time with the bigger goal kept in the back of my mind while focusing on the smaller, daily goals.

I've read through all of your profiles and I've been catching up on your latest conversations.  I joined another mentor group back in February but it has been very inactive and I wasn't getting much out of it so I searched for another that may fit my goals better.  Ken was gracious enough to allow me to join, so....here I am.  I look forward to great conversations, learning from you all and a injury free and sucessful tri season.

2010-03-13 10:11 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Welcome to the group, we have a pretty good mix of people, training for different distances.  There are a couple of others from the mid west!

Don't be shy if you have anything to talk about or add to the conversation!

2010-03-13 10:47 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
Welcome! Looks like you have a lot on your plate. Just take it one day at a time and as Kenj said feel free to add in to the convo! Post questions, thoughts, or anything at all.  

Looking forward to hearing how your training is going.

Also, figured this was appropriate.

O-H 
2010-03-13 11:09 AM

I-O!

I like this group already...lol
2010-03-13 11:28 AM

User image

Hi Mike! Welcome, welcome. As a CPA I can tell you you've picked a good field to get into. Well...except for this time of year when it's all pressure. I'm only a month into this group and have already been enlightened and encouraged, so hopefully you'll find the same.
2010-03-13 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2723256

User image

New user
Ken...great post that I have to say I read at the right time as far as what you can do etc to keep on pace as it were with a training schedule.

I wanted to actually touch on something that I am not sure we have spoken about; motivation.  There are tons of books that explore the mental aspect of different sporting events and events in life and how to deal with them.    What I wanted to get some feedback on is what people use as personal motivations to push through when its rough going.  You are in the last half a mile of an Ironman, how do you motivate yourself and will yourself to the finish line?  Take that and how do you motivate yourself on the last half mile on the last training run of the week months before the race gets there?   What do you do to get up and going again?  Now I realize that everyone has their own personal way of getting there, and I just wondered what techniques we can use to keep the fire going?    Since weight-loss is a huge deal in the US, I remember in reading about a guy who lost weight by using the Guiness workout.  He would work out all week and eat well, and then at the end of the week he would have a Guiness!  Now of course I am only using that as a funny way at looking at what motivates you, but I would love to hear your stories and techniques in what has worked and what has not.

Thanks again and glad to see the new faces in the group!

2010-03-14 3:19 AM

User image

Welllington, NZ
Yup welcome Mike. Glad to have another on-board.

Had my 2nd open water swim this weekend - a bit hard than the last as it was a bit rougher and swimming into the wave is hard work! Still, feeling a lot better about open water now after that swim. 2 weeks to my sprint and i won't really have time to get into the open water again but it should do.

Motivation is a great one to discuss. I remember years ago when i was doing Kung-fu and training solo whilst away from the club i'd have motivation slogans plasted all over the place where i was working out. That worked well. I remember reading a book at the time by a guy called Kristensen (i think) called "Solo training". It was geared towards karate but a lot of what he discussed in the book was relevant to pretty much any situation.

But for me now, being older, having my wife and kids at the finish line is all the motivation i need. I know what i've put them through whilst training (and this was especially true for the marathon) and to have them there at the end was just the absolute best - where they could share my joy at all of our hard work together! And to be honest i got more out of seeing my kids at the end than i did in the event. Don't get me wrong - i learned a lot about myself during that 4 hours but i loved them seeing that they can achieve what they want if they work hard enough - that was my reward.

Anyway, i'm off for another week (helping at school camp for 4 days) and then on another army training session this weekend so no new updates from me for a while. No real training sessions booked in either so i'm counting it as a rest week! ;-)

Keep up the good work everyone!

Lewis.
2010-03-14 8:57 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
Motivation for me is what comes from inside. Actually this is a good topic because yesterday in my first 3 months of training was the first day that I didn't finish a workout I started.

I had a 2.5 hr workout scheduled on the bike. Things kept popping up and I finally got time to head down there and get on. Everytime I started up, I didn't feel right. Something in my shoe, my bike making a weird sound, i couldn't get into a rhythm and after an hour, i got off the bike and went back upstairs, never finished it.  

It's probably because I hate the trainer, but yesterday my motivation was 0.  Couldn't get into it.  For me, I felt pretty defeated, but I realize we all have those days, and today I'm about to head out and kill my 11 mile run.  

I want to do this for me.  It will be great to see my wife at the finish line, but if I wasn't doing it for myself, it wouldn't be worth all the time I put in.

I also do it because I ENJOY and love it.  When you constantly have to drag yourself out to do a run or bike kicking and screaming, you never get anything out of it.  Triathlon shouldn't be a means to an end (i.e. lose weight, etc).  But it should be something to do because you enjoy it, and all of those great benefits happen because of an activity you love.

Just my .02. 
2010-03-14 10:59 AM

Alrighty then,,,
Cold/ flu is gone, I'm feeling better now. Did a short 4.3 road run today. Felt fairly good, a bit slow (not that I'm fast) but after a long week off, I didn't want to over due it.
May try to get into the pool today for a 4 or 500 yr swim,,, then again maybe not (time is an issue).
I'm back and time to get serious now,,,, maybe even some two a day workouts during the week.
2010-03-14 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2725324

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

DougJ - 2010-03-14 11:59 AM Alrighty then,,,
Cold/ flu is gone, I'm feeling better now. Did a short 4.3 road run today. Felt fairly good, a bit slow (not that I'm fast) but after a long week off, I didn't want to over due it.
May try to get into the pool today for a 4 or 500 yr swim,,, then again maybe not (time is an issue).
I'm back and time to get serious now,,,, maybe even some two a day workouts during the week.

Glad you are feeling better.  A week away wont hurt you! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29