BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-04-19 6:56 AM
in reply to: #2769226

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-04-19 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2800001

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
phxphotog - 2010-04-18 6:52 PM Did my 1st "real" OWS this morning with a bunch of people from First Wave Tri Club here in Phoenix. We swam at Lake Pleasant which is a big man made lake in the NW part of the valley. The water was actually not bad and we got use to the cold fairly quickly. I thought I would do better but the sighting slowed me down a bit. I didn't swim off course to much but wanted to work on my sighting. My goggles fogged up after about 400 yds and I struggled to get them fixed. My arms also got more tired than I'm use to with my wetsuit on. Also struggled a but to get a good body rotation to breath but I worked on that on the way back to the boat ramp. I think with more OWS practice I'll be fine with it. I have 3 OWS tri's this year so I need to get better at it.

After the swim I went for a hike for about an hour. I did 3 3/4 miles in 1 hr 11 min with 682 feet of climb. Actually, it's up and down a lot so I don't know how much up and down I did. It's my usual loop hike in the mountain park by my house.

This week will be a lot of rest because I need to my shins rested for Mexico. I also am having chafing issues on the left crease of my leg/groin area on the bike. I've done body glide and all kinds of stuff but it still keeps happening. I'm guessing that I need a new pair of bike shorts. I didn't have a problem in my tri shorts when I raced in them. Anyone ever have this issue before?

Hope everyone had a good weekend training and competing.

Sounds like a great first OWS!

I've had issues with goggles fogging up on me as well.  I have tried the anti-fog spray, and it just does not work for me.  The only thing that works for me is good old fashioned spit.  Kind of gross but it really works well. 

The chafing issue might be a fit problem with the shorts.  If I am wearing old, or shorts which don't fit so well I tend to get more chaffing.  Another possibility is that your seat is pointed slightly to the left causing extra friction on that leg, I've had this issue in the past.

Greg
2010-04-19 8:30 AM

Master
Dunedin
Nice work Fred!  Is a chilly 40 mile bike ride a good prep for cold conditions at LP?
2010-04-19 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2800797

2010-04-19 8:52 AM

Master
Millersville, MD
I'm late on this reply, but Chris:  LOL @ strong right hand!!!
2010-04-19 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2800866

Master
Redlands, CA
JoshKaptur - 2010-04-19 6:52 AM I'm late on this reply, but Chris:  LOL @ strong right hand!!!

I'm hoping the current at IMSG favors strong right handed swimmers!

2010-04-19 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2800001

Master
Redlands, CA
phxphotog - 2010-04-18 4:52 PM Did my 1st "real" OWS this morning with a bunch of people from First Wave Tri Club here in Phoenix. We swam at Lake Pleasant which is a big man made lake in the NW part of the valley. The water was actually not bad and we got use to the cold fairly quickly. I thought I would do better but the sighting slowed me down a bit. I didn't swim off course to much but wanted to work on my sighting. My goggles fogged up after about 400 yds and I struggled to get them fixed. My arms also got more tired than I'm use to with my wetsuit on. Also struggled a but to get a good body rotation to breath but I worked on that on the way back to the boat ramp. I think with more OWS practice I'll be fine with it. I have 3 OWS tri's this year so I need to get better at it.

After the swim I went for a hike for about an hour. I did 3 3/4 miles in 1 hr 11 min with 682 feet of climb. Actually, it's up and down a lot so I don't know how much up and down I did. It's my usual loop hike in the mountain park by my house.

This week will be a lot of rest because I need to my shins rested for Mexico. I also am having chafing issues on the left crease of my leg/groin area on the bike. I've done body glide and all kinds of stuff but it still keeps happening. I'm guessing that I need a new pair of bike shorts. I didn't have a problem in my tri shorts when I raced in them. Anyone ever have this issue before?

Hope everyone had a good weekend training and competing.

Grats on the first OWS....I wasn't the only one with issues in the water, hopefully we'll both get them fixed before raceday!
2010-04-19 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2800797

Pro
Canandaigua NY

WittyCityGirl - 2010-04-19 9:30 AM Nice work Fred!  Is a chilly 40 mile bike ride a good prep for cold conditions at LP?

My experience at LP you should set your trainer up in a car wash! (or the shower)

Edited by kenj 2010-04-19 8:58 AM
2010-04-19 9:04 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I've been told that the fogging is caused by small bits of dirt and chemicals on the goggle and to clean them before every use.  I just take a bit of the liquid hand soap by the sink and give em a quick cleaning and I haven't had any problems with fogging since.  Since the pool I swim at is generally in the 80's, it appears to work.

2010-04-19 10:12 AM

Expert
Yeah, the swim went well for a 1st one. I swam well when I had buoys pretty close to each other. Just swam to the next buoy and took a 15 sec break. There was a large section with no buoys and I didn't swim a well. I'll be fine with more practice.

I'll look at my seat to see if it's off center. It has happened on both sides but mainly the left. I'm going to get a different pair of shorts and see if that helps. I was also thinking that when I go into aero that it is causing my leg and groin area to compress even more. I am looking at getting a fast forward seat post and see if that helps in aero. Does anyone have one of them on their road bike?

This week I'm planning on letting my body rest a lot this week. Probably going to do one swim and maybe some elliptical. We leave for Mexico on Friday morning. It's about a 4 hour drive to Rocky Point and the race is on Saturday. It's a great race because they have to wait for the tide to come in so the start time is about 9am or so. It gives me a couple more hours of sleep.
2010-04-19 10:13 AM

Expert
Thornton, CO
I actually do practice sighting in the pool. Toss my water bottle at the end of the lane and then every other lap or so I'll try to spot it.

My weekend was a good one.  Still building the volume for the long bikes, but got in a 5 mile run, a 1500m swim, and a 7 mile run on the treadmill 15minutes after the swim.  Then Sunday I got out for a 52mile bike session.  One of my favorite roads to ride on has some nice big rolling hills and no matter which directions you're going, there always a headwind or sidewind to fight.  Makes for a great workout.

2010-04-19 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2801094

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
phxphotog -
I'll look at my seat to see if it's off center. It has happened on both sides but mainly the left. I'm going to get a different pair of shorts and see if that helps. I was also thinking that when I go into aero that it is causing my leg and groin area to compress even more. I am looking at getting a fast forward seat post and see if that helps in aero. Does anyone have one of them on their road bike?

I use a Fast Forward seat post on a road bike.  It does help to move you forward and basically changes the seat angle making it steeper and more similar to a Tri-bike.  This is my first year using it, so far it has worked great for me.  Not sure how you have your seat set up, everyone seems to have their own preference.  

The pressure/compression of the groin area can really limit your rides.  If it is painful your not going to want to ride or train.  I am now using an Adamo race saddle and it has made a big difference for me.  Prior to getting this saddle I used a standard road saddle with a cut-out area and that helped.  I would also put a tiny nose down angle on the seat and it seemed to help a little with the pressure in the aero position.  If your going to make changes, I would recommend making them small and incrementally.  I think making a large position change can set you up for an injury without allowing your body/muscles time to adapt.

2010-04-19 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2800611

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
PennState - 2010-04-19 4:56 AM How dis everyone's training weekend go?

I ended up scrapping my workouts yesterday, my calf was still really sore and I thought it would be better to miss a day of training than to get injured worse just two weeks out from Wildlflower.

I'm glad I took the day off because I was able to get a lot done around the house that I had been neglecting (like hanging curtains) and my calf feels almost back to 100% today.
2010-04-19 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2800611

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
PennState - 2010-04-19 5:56 AM How dis everyone's training weekend go?

Not to bad. I went for a 6 mile SLOW run on Saturday and topped it off with a interval training Spinerval DVD in the evening.  I ran a couple of miles yesterday (I was tired) and then tried out the TRX training program that just arrived.
2010-04-19 12:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
So, last night I was watching some triathlon videos and reading the forums, and I checked on the registration page for the 1/2 HIM I have planned for this summer to see if they had opened registration.  Registration just opened yesterday, and I made the leap and signed up.  Now, with about 19 weeks to go (Aug 29), I want to get into a more structured training plan.  I have noticed that some of you are performance members, but some are not.  Is it worth my while to get a performance membership to take advantage of one of the bronze or silver HIM plans?  I'm interested to hear some of your feedback on this.

Speaking of the race, if any of you are up for trying a new one, you should come on over   It's just outside Fredericton, NB, which is just northeast of Maine.  The resort where they're holding it is giving triathletes rooms for $89, and it looks really nice.  Last year was the first year for the race, and it would be great to see it grow.  If you're interested, check it out... you can't beat $65 for a HIM and a room rate like that

http://www.atlanticchip.ca/events/details.php?show=498 
2010-04-19 2:11 PM

Master
Dunedin
Damn! You're right...those are good prices!!

2010-04-19 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2801728

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Wooden Bell - 2010-04-19 1:57 PM So, last night I was watching some triathlon videos and reading the forums, and I checked on the registration page for the 1/2 HIM I have planned for this summer to see if they had opened registration.  Registration just opened yesterday, and I made the leap and signed up.  Now, with about 19 weeks to go (Aug 29), I want to get into a more structured training plan.  I have noticed that some of you are performance members, but some are not.  Is it worth my while to get a performance membership to take advantage of one of the bronze or silver HIM plans?  I'm interested to hear some of your feedback on this.

Speaking of the race, if any of you are up for trying a new one, you should come on over   It's just outside Fredericton, NB, which is just northeast of Maine.  The resort where they're holding it is giving triathletes rooms for $89, and it looks really nice.  Last year was the first year for the race, and it would be great to see it grow.  If you're interested, check it out... you can't beat $65 for a HIM and a room rate like that

http://www.atlanticchip.ca/events/details.php?show=498 

I have been a silver member for about 3 years and like using the plans.  It makes it easy to download to my training log they are pretty easy to follow.  I have tried a couple of other plans outside of BT, I even went as far as to load them into the spreadsheet and load them onto BT.  For the marathon the outside plan worked well for me, better than the BT plan.  For the tri I wound up switching back to the BT plan.  My personal opinion is that a canned plan is just that and you will either like it or you wont.  But, I have seen several training sites selling canned training plans for significantly more than the price of a BT performance membership. 

That said, even if I didn't use the training plans I would still pay for some level of membership on BT.  I feel it has given me more than my moneys worth from just the education of the forums.

Good luck with your training!!! 

2010-04-19 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2801978

2010-04-19 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2801530

2010-04-19 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2800904

2010-04-19 6:10 PM

2010-04-19 6:13 PM

2010-04-19 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2802655

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
PennState - 2010-04-19 5:13 PM BTW. There is a good discussion about Ironman bike gearing going on in the lake placid thread if anyone is interested.

I just took a look at the thread you mentioned and now have a couple of questions. My road bike has a 50/34 crankset and an 11-25 cassette. I have thought about  putting a different cassette on my road bike for one of the races I am doing this summer which has a 15% grade  climb. I haven't ridden the course yet and am not sure I have ever tackled a climb like that so I am all for adding some extra gears!  Do you have any suggestions?   I am also considering purchasing a tri bike and read what Kathy said about changing out the cassette during a new bike purchase. If I do purchase a tri bike what type of cassette should I ask for?  I am not familiar with the standard crank set up that I guess comes with most tri bikes and I am not interested in a triple.
Thanks in advance for the advice

By the way, how much of a difference is having a 27 on the cassette vs a 25?

Edited by Kath2163 2010-04-19 6:54 PM
2010-04-19 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2802732

Master
Redlands, CA
Kath2163 - 2010-04-19 4:44 PM
PennState - 2010-04-19 5:13 PM BTW. There is a good discussion about Ironman bike gearing going on in the lake placid thread if anyone is interested.

I just took a look at the thread you mentioned and now have a couple of questions. My road bike has a 50/34 crankset and an 11-25 cassette. I have thought about  putting a different cassette on my road bike for one of the races I am doing this summer which has a 15% grade  climb. I haven't ridden the course yet and am not sure I have ever tackled a climb like that so I am all for adding some extra gears!  Do you have any suggestions?   I am also considering purchasing a tri bike and read what Kathy said about changing out the cassette during a new bike purchase. If I do purchase a tri bike what type of cassette should I ask for?  I am not familiar with the standard crank set up that I guess comes with most tri bikes and I am not interested in a triple.
Thanks in advance for the advice

By the way, how much of a difference is having a 27 on the cassette vs a 25?

Quite different, its only 2 cogs but a 27 is comfortable up an 12% and a 25 is taxing, at least for me.  If its for a race though I think you should keep the gearing you have, unless its long 15% grade. 

I'll be using a 50/34 up front and 11-25 in back for IMSG, but alot of people are going 12-27.  You must have Campy (unless Shimano/SRAM do 11-25 now)?
2010-04-19 7:12 PM
in reply to: #2802732

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121