BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-05-10 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2848390

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED!
retiretotri - 2010-05-10 8:47 AM Way to hang tough in those races this weekend!

Question for the yoga experts.  What are the best poses (keep in mind I lack yoga skills) for working on hip and hamstring flexibility?

I hope everyone has a great Monday!

Aside from any of the forward bends (which are going to be very difficult if you have tight hammies like me) or maybe supta padhagustasana with a belt, I would recommend pigeon pose as an all around hip opener.   Virasana II (Warrior II) will also work to open the hips, as will Badhu Konasana (Cobbler's pose).  There are others, but those should get you started.

2010-05-10 6:25 PM
in reply to: #2848390

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
retiretotri - 2010-05-10 8:47 AM Way to hang tough in those races this weekend!

Question for the yoga experts.  What are the best poses (keep in mind I lack yoga skills) for working on hip and hamstring flexibility?

I hope everyone has a great Monday!

Aside from any of the forward bends (which are going to be very difficult if you have tight hammies like me) or maybe supta padhagustasana with a belt, I would recommend pigeon pose as an all around hip opener.   Virasana II (Warrior II) will also work to open the hips, as will Badhu Konasana (Cobbler's pose).  There are others, but those should get you started.
2010-05-10 6:26 PM
in reply to: #2849721

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
Apologies on the double post---PBKAC error.  (Problem between keyboard and chair).
2010-05-11 6:28 AM
in reply to: #2770190

User image

8 mile run yesterday short run this morning just to loosen up and we have a bike school going on at work so I will be riding the mountain bike quite a bit, really slow rides but we do a lot of skill stuff that really makes me feel more comfortable on the bike. Sorry to hear about the tough races, injuries and medical issues I have found that's where these groups really help, sure helped me after my near death experience at the rumpassSmile

Edited by fungi32 2010-05-11 6:30 AM
2010-05-11 2:13 PM

User image

Expert
Hi guys,

Sorry I've been MIA the last few days!  Was away for Mother's day, and work's been kind of busy recently!  Some updates from my end:

On Saturday, I ran for the first time since my marathon- only 5 miles and I felt a bit sluggish.  Not sure if that's normal for post-marathon runs but that's how it was!  I'll try to ease back into a running routine, but nothing too long or strenuous for now.

Sunday I did my first big outdoor group ride of the season.  I ended up doing 38 miles, in the middle of which I accidentally dropped my Garmin and it got hit by a car Frown  I think it still works, but I'm not sure since I accidentally left it at my mom's house after the ride.  Ooops!

Jack & Judi - Sorry to hear about your races!  My first two tris last year were super windy, so I thought all tris were always choppy, white capped, and battling your bike against high winds!   But now I think wind builds character, haha.  Recover well!!

Lori - Without knowing your yoga experience & flexibility level, I'll just send you some links on hip and hamstring yoga poses...  They range from really gentle (like happy baby pose which is a relaxing hip opener) to very advanced (like tittibhasana which is an arm balance). 
http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/finder/anatomical_focus/hips
http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/finder/anatomical_focus/hamstrings

For hips, I personally like agnistambhasana and gomukhasana forward folds (ie, put your legs in the position shown and just fold forward instead of doing whatever arm variation they have listed).  Pigeon is also a good one.  For hamstrings, I tend to just to janu sirsasana or paschimottanasana.

More articles on hips:
http://www.yogajournal.com/basics/2313
http://www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/904
2010-05-11 8:46 PM

MF, WI

Congrats on pushing through the conditions this weekend Jack and Judi.

I had planned to do a 50+ miler on Sat.  Woke up at five drove over to the course I wanted to do.  Got the tires inflated, got all dressed up, and then took a second to think about the ride.  That was all I needed, it was windy and cold like 35 degrees and I decided that it just wasn't going to happen.  So I got back in the car drove the half hour back to my house and had to explain to my wife why I was waking her up for the second time as I crawled back in bed.  This was probably the worst guilt I've felt about not training.  Seriously , I drove an hour roundtrip to not train.  I felt so bad that I decided Sunday had to be my best ride yet, and it was.  I still feel horrible about it so today I rode in the drizzle/mist/ wind that we had here.  It was miserable, but it felt great being out there.  I now feel more motivated to train on the bad days so that I have the experience on race day.  So far I've been lucky and the races I've done have all been on Sunny Calm days, but you never know.

2010-05-12 6:36 AM
in reply to: #2851822

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
yogachic - 2010-05-11 2:13 PM Hi guys,

Sorry I've been MIA the last few days!  Was away for Mother's day, and work's been kind of busy recently!  Some updates from my end:

On Saturday, I ran for the first time since my marathon- only 5 miles and I felt a bit sluggish.  Not sure if that's normal for post-marathon runs but that's how it was!  I'll try to ease back into a running routine, but nothing too long or strenuous for now.

Sunday I did my first big outdoor group ride of the season.  I ended up doing 38 miles, in the middle of which I accidentally dropped my Garmin and it got hit by a car Frown  I think it still works, but I'm not sure since I accidentally left it at my mom's house after the ride.  Ooops!

Jack & Judi - Sorry to hear about your races!  My first two tris last year were super windy, so I thought all tris were always choppy, white capped, and battling your bike against high winds!   But now I think wind builds character, haha.  Recover well!!

Lori - Without knowing your yoga experience & flexibility level, I'll just send you some links on hip and hamstring yoga poses...  They range from really gentle (like happy baby pose which is a relaxing hip opener) to very advanced (like tittibhasana which is an arm balance). 
http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/finder/anatomical_focus/hips
http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/finder/anatomical_focus/hamstrings

For hips, I personally like agnistambhasana and gomukhasana forward folds (ie, put your legs in the position shown and just fold forward instead of doing whatever arm variation they have listed).  Pigeon is also a good one.  For hamstrings, I tend to just to janu sirsasana or paschimottanasana.

More articles on hips:
http://www.yogajournal.com/basics/2313
http://www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/904

I had some of that post marathon sluggishness after my last one and it lasted for several weeks (until I pushed too hard and injured myself...).  I'm not for sure what the cause was but I think I probably still wasn't quite recovered even though I thought I felt okay.  If you can keep the runs light and easy for awhile and maybe take an extra rest day or two until things are back to normal.

I really hope your Garmin is okay!!  That would be a sad loss.
2010-05-12 6:41 AM
in reply to: #2852768

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Kman2011 - 2010-05-11 8:46 PM

Congrats on pushing through the conditions this weekend Jack and Judi.

I had planned to do a 50+ miler on Sat.  Woke up at five drove over to the course I wanted to do.  Got the tires inflated, got all dressed up, and then took a second to think about the ride.  That was all I needed, it was windy and cold like 35 degrees and I decided that it just wasn't going to happen.  So I got back in the car drove the half hour back to my house and had to explain to my wife why I was waking her up for the second time as I crawled back in bed.  This was probably the worst guilt I've felt about not training.  Seriously , I drove an hour roundtrip to not train.  I felt so bad that I decided Sunday had to be my best ride yet, and it was.  I still feel horrible about it so today I rode in the drizzle/mist/ wind that we had here.  It was miserable, but it felt great being out there.  I now feel more motivated to train on the bad days so that I have the experience on race day.  So far I've been lucky and the races I've done have all been on Sunny Calm days, but you never know.

Don't feel too bad.  It was 50 and windy here the past few days and I've opted for the trainer.  After having a string of 60 and 70 degree days it's hard to go back to training in that crap.  35 and windy, no way I would have done that.

Nice job getting out in the rain yesterday.  Braking and handling are different on a wet surface so it's definitely good practice.
2010-05-12 7:02 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I have had races in downpours....as well as nice days so while I won't voluntarily ride in the rain to train I do just take the rain on race day as long as it isn't lightning.
2010-05-12 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Thanks so much for the yoga poses Michelle and Missy!

I will be trying some of them tonight.  Running 3 today and biking a little later.

Hope everyone is having a great Wednesday hump day!
2010-05-12 12:12 PM

User image

Expert
Hope everyone's week is going well.  Training has been good, but I have an ingrown toenail I'm having taken care of today.  Not sure what that will do to training (specifically being able to swim).  I guess we'll see.  If that's the worse thing that happens, I'll be happy.

2010-05-13 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2854164

User image

Veteran
South Suburb of Chicago, IL
bar92 - 2010-05-12 12:12 PM Hope everyone's week is going well.  Training has been good, but I have an ingrown toenail I'm having taken care of today.  Not sure what that will do to training (specifically being able to swim).  I guess we'll see.  If that's the worse thing that happens, I'll be happy.

Ewww! Have fun with that! You shouldn't be off training for long at all, I would think.
2010-05-14 6:32 AM
in reply to: #2854164

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
bar92 - 2010-05-12 1:12 PM Hope everyone's week is going well.  Training has been good, but I have an ingrown toenail I'm having taken care of today.  Not sure what that will do to training (specifically being able to swim).  I guess we'll see.  If that's the worse thing that happens, I'll be happy.

One of the teenagers I teach at Karate had ingrown toenail "surgery" and was back on the floor the same day.   Hopefully you shouldn't miss much training unless your shoes really rub against the surgery site. 
2010-05-14 7:10 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Good morning guys.  It's Friday!  What's everyone got on tap for the weekend?
2010-05-14 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2858247

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
disturbed275 - 2010-05-14 8:10 AM Good morning guys.  It's Friday!  What's everyone got on tap for the weekend?

It's an "off" week for me, so only a 10 mile run tomorrow and a 35 mile bike on Sunday for my long workouts, both at an easy pace.  (Bike was supposed to be after work today with Sunday as a rest day, but switching them around because of the weather - 50's and rainy today, 60's and sunny on Sunday.)

2010-05-14 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
South Suburb of Chicago, IL
disturbed275 - 2010-05-14 7:10 AM Good morning guys.  It's Friday!  What's everyone got on tap for the weekend?

I've a long run, 1hr 50 mins, on saturday and a long bike on sunday, 3hrs 30 mins. Other than that, hopefully some good relaxing this weekend. Anybody racing this weekend?

2010-05-14 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
disturbed275 - 2010-05-14 5:10 AM Good morning guys.  It's Friday!  What's everyone got on tap for the weekend?

Getting closer and closer to my HM on June 5.  Scheduled to do 11 miles on Saturday.  I'm a little concerned because after an extremely cool spring (for Fresno anyway), we're supposed to really warm up this weekend.  Since I'm totally not heat acclimated, that should be interesting. 

Looks like I'll be doing another run with some gals from the tri club on Sunday before yoga. 

Oh, and I hope to get some time in the pool, as well.  We'll see how I feel.
2010-05-14 10:34 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Tomorrow I am taking part in a building project at my church for a few hours then I have a 90 minute ride on tap.
Sunday I have a swim with a short brick on my plan (1 hr ride/ 20 min run)
2010-05-14 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
disturbed275 - 2010-05-14 7:10 AM Good morning guys.  It's Friday!  What's everyone got on tap for the weekend?

Busy weekend for me!  I've actually been taking it easy this week in preparation for the weekend Smile  I'm heading up to Wisconsin for a training weekend with some people from my tri club.  It'll be a good chance to practicing running/biking hills.  There's also a lake where we're staying, so we may get an open water swim in... though the water's probably 50 degrees so it may be a very short open water swim.  Or we'll just drink on the boat, haha.

I think on Saturday, it'll probably be just a whatever-people-feel-like ride/run.  Sunday we'll do a whole swim/bike/run brick as practice for the Galena tri which some of my tri club friends are doing next weekend. 
2010-05-14 5:19 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Biking tonight, perhaps a short brick on Saturday, and a 6-mile run on Sunday.

Yes, the lakes in Madison will be cold.  I don't open water swim until at least Memorial Day.  Brrrrrrrr......
2010-05-14 8:24 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Has anyone done other resistance training in the pool?  It was suggested tonight that I use either 1 lb ankle weights or buy tennis sweat bands for wrist and ankle and use them. Logic given was the "weight" as they filled up with the water would teach me to work that much harder so that on the sets I didn't use them I would fly through the water.  He suggested short sets of 50 with resistance/50 without....then maybe 25 with/25 without.

2010-05-15 12:26 PM

MF, WI
It has been a crazy week,  First for the workouts, this morning I did a couple of loops on that oly course I talked about two weeks ago and added 1 mph to my speed.  I think that is due to learning how to ride better.   I've really focused on getting and staying aero, I'm spinning my legs out more at the top of hills(thanks to some good advice from the group), and really just staying in the larger front ring as much as possible.  I'm probably mashing more than I should, but I'll worry about that when I start doing bricks in a few weeks.

My wife graduated from law school yesterday, so Thursday and Friday we were busy with that which was awesome.  I'm so proud of her that I can't even explain it.  And finally we had two doctors appointments this week and my wife is now 12 wks pregnant and so far everything is going well, which is really exciting. 

I'm on my way to Green Bay for the half marathon I was supposed to run but can't so I'm going up to cheer on my sister and some friends.

Seriously crazy week, its great outside, so hopefully everyone gets out and enjoys it.
2010-05-16 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Hey Guys!

2 questions...let's see if you can answer for this newbie.

1.)  All the local pools are closed because it's between semesters (both college pools).  I can get up to one that's an hour away on the weekend, but what can I do during my other two swim workout times?  (Luckily this should be only for two more weeks, at which time one of the pools is scheduled to reopen and the lakes might be JUST warm enough to swim in with a wetsuit.)

2.)  DEFINITE newbie question here:  I'm doing my first long-distance (HIM) triathlon at the end of next month and still haven't figured this detail out:  I want to wear my Fuel Belt during the run because my GI system can be picky about what I put in it.  Wear do I put my race number?  Do I wear a race number belt in addition?

Thanks guys!  Hope you're having a great weekend!

p.s.  My Homestay for IMLP just cancelled on me and my other two previous homestays aren't doing it this year, so if you need a place, it's your own bedroom and bathroom for $75/night that's a two-minute walk from the start.  Just thought I'd give you guys first crack. :-
2010-05-16 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2861721

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
PinkPrincess - 2010-05-16 3:45 PM Hey Guys!

2 questions...let's see if you can answer for this newbie.

1.)  All the local pools are closed because it's between semesters (both college pools).  I can get up to one that's an hour away on the weekend, but what can I do during my other two swim workout times?  (Luckily this should be only for two more weeks, at which time one of the pools is scheduled to reopen and the lakes might be JUST warm enough to swim in with a wetsuit.)

2.)  DEFINITE newbie question here:  I'm doing my first long-distance (HIM) triathlon at the end of next month and still haven't figured this detail out:  I want to wear my Fuel Belt during the run because my GI system can be picky about what I put in it.  Wear do I put my race number?  Do I wear a race number belt in addition?

Thanks guys!  Hope you're having a great weekend!

p.s.  My Homestay for IMLP just cancelled on me and my other two previous homestays aren't doing it this year, so if you need a place, it's your own bedroom and bathroom for $75/night that's a two-minute walk from the start.  Just thought I'd give you guys first crack. :-

The pool issue is a toughie....you may want to tough it out with some short swims in the wetsuit.  Only because your HIM is close and you will still have pretty cold water on race day up there.
You should still be able to wear the race number in front as usual with the fuel belt in place.  I do use a race belt for my number.  A trick I picked up last season is to leave it on undder the tri top and wetsuit during the swim.  You can pull it out to show as you need it and never worry about it or lose time scrambling for it in transition.
2010-05-16 7:13 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I did my longest swim sets since the stroke rework tonight.  Was supposed to be a 1500 TT.  Between my asthma acting up and not having done any longer swim sets since reworking the stroke I figured that wasn't a wise plan so I did 3x500 which was still a stretch since I had been limiting myself to 200 or 300 yard sets at most!  Overall happy with my splits cause they were fairly consistent!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 46