BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-04-29 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Master
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!

Why is this thread sooooo  loooooooonggg???????

Usually pictures make it do this.

2010-04-29 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Because we are the coolest group ever!  Notice how no one mentioned during all of the boob talk that "TTIUWP (This Thread Is Useless Without Pics) haha
2010-04-29 11:03 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Kerry, sorry about your shoulder. Where exactly does it hurt? What movements of your head/neck and arms make it hurt or twinge it or uncomfortable it?

I really believe ice cures everything.

My life has gone topsy turvy in one day. My deaf Alzheimer's elderly mom just moved in with me. Trying to get my house (which I barely moved in myself) ready for that, in less than a day, was pretty crazy. I can barely keep track of myself and my affairs and stuff--how am I supposed to keep track of that AND those of a whole 'nother human being? Ah, one thing at a time.

Also, she's recovering from a heart attack from medication overdosage, and it turns out all her meds got screwed up anyway, so I'm trying to sort it all out and figure out what she DOES need to take--the state of medical practice here is HORRIBLE and you're pretty much on your own.

I am exhausted. I am trying to find household help TOMORROW.

2010-04-29 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Sounds stressful Yanti.  I hope things calm down for you soon. That's great that you're taking care of your mom even though it can be hectic and stressful at times.
Hopefully you will find the help you need. Stay positive!
2010-04-29 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2825538

User image

Master
Vista, CA

TriAya - 2010-04-29 9:03 AM Kerry, sorry about your shoulder. Where exactly does it hurt? What movements of your head/neck and arms make it hurt or twinge it or uncomfortable it?

My life has gone topsy turvy in one day. My deaf Alzheimer's elderly mom just moved in with me. Trying to get my house (which I barely moved in myself) ready for that, in less than a day, was pretty crazy. I can barely keep track of myself and my affairs and stuff--how am I supposed to keep track of that AND those of a whole 'nother human being? Ah, one thing at a time.

Also, she's recovering from a heart attack from medication overdosage, and it turns out all her meds got screwed up anyway, so I'm trying to sort it all out and figure out what she DOES need to take--the state of medical practice here is HORRIBLE and you're pretty much on your own.

Do what you have to with your Mom, Yanti. We'll hold down the fort here and have shoulder(s) for you to lean on.

{{{{{{hugs and presses}}}}}}}}}}}

2010-04-29 12:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
TriAya - 2010-04-29 11:03 AM Kerry, sorry about your shoulder. Where exactly does it hurt? What movements of your head/neck and arms make it hurt or twinge it or uncomfortable it?

yanti- hope things calm down for you soon and you get everything sorted out for your Mom.  

2010-04-29 2:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Yanti - I can only imagine how exhausting your situation is.  Things will fall into place and you will soon develop a new routine.   Remember to take some time for yourself!  And, I hope you find some help soon!!!

I picked my bike up at the shop yesterday after work.  He checked all the cables and the brakes and pads.  He cleaned and re-lubed the chain, and replaced the tube in the rear tire.  He said he couldn't find a leak in it either, but it was definitely going flat.  There was a little bend in the valve, but he didn't think that was a problem.  I think that is all.  I had no idea how much it would be.  I had a wallet full of cash just in case.  $15.  Yep 15 bucks.  I think I love my new bike shop!!  I am going to go for a ride after work to test it out.

Have a good afternoon everyone!

Karen

2010-04-29 2:21 PM

User image

Regular
Yanti,

How stressful!  I hope that things settle down there and you can straighten the med issue out without too much hassle.  Please take care of yourself!

Kerry
2010-04-29 2:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I had a ride planned for last night with a good friend of mine.  She picked me up and we drove her son to his soccer practice and were going to ride out from there.  It wasn't until we'd arrived that she told me she'd invited the mom of one her daycare kids (she runs an in-home dc) to join us. 

That didn't bother me as I knew she'd done her first triathlon last summer as had we, so I figured the more the merrier.  Except she couldn't keep up.  She just bought her road bike Monday and it was her first ride on it, and her first ride on streets with traffic, and she was using cages (not that there's anything wrong with them) and futzing with them.  Our ride ended up being shorter than we'd planned because of all that and the sun was going down so we had to bag it at 16 miles.

So the frustrating thing was that she didn't seem to know how to shift her gears properly.  I rode behind her the last half and she was shifting a lot, but never seemed to be in the right place.  When we were going downhill she'd be flying away at a super high cadence then going into the wind or uphill she was just grinding away.  I tried to offer a suggestion at one point and she just grunted at me and kept doing what she was doing.

Should I just avoid riding with her in the future or is there a way to help her without being outright about it?
2010-04-29 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
TriAya - 2010-04-29 11:03 AM how am I supposed to keep track of that AND those of a whole 'nother human being? 

Yanti, my thoughts are with you.  Please try to do nice things for yourself when you get a chance and take every bit of help you are offered.  Also utilize the support system you have built (I know you have one...)
2010-04-29 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2826339

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
quincyf - 2010-04-29 3:29 PM
TriAya - 2010-04-29 11:03 AM how am I supposed to keep track of that AND those of a whole 'nother human being? 

Yanti, my thoughts are with you.  Please try to do nice things for yourself when you get a chance and take every bit of help you are offered.  Also utilize the support system you have built (I know you have one...)

+1000 to that.  Hang in there Yanti -- lean on us, too, if it helps, but also know we get that your attention has to be elsewhere.  Really hope you get things on even keel with Mom's care soon.

2010-04-29 2:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Karen, yay for your LBS!  I think that would have run me closer to $50 around these parts.  I think I asked this earlier but it got lost in the whirl -- can I ask the origin of your screen name?  Very curious, since IRL I happen to sort of be a gadget law person m'self...

Allison, that's tough.  I understand the frustration, because on my one group ride I've done, I had a similar issue/complaint.  But I am also pretty much still an uber beginner cyclist, too, so I would want someone to help me out and not blow me off.  I guess the real problem is that you just don't know this chick very well.  I would talk to your friend about it -- leave out the frustration, but more of the helpful "I noticed she was struggling, wanted to offer advice but not sure how she would take it, she needs to even out her cadence" and see where that goes.  And I would give her at least one more chance before blowing it off entirely.  Still, I feel your frustration.
2010-04-29 3:44 PM

User image

Master
Yanti - You're mom is so super lucky to have such a great, caring daughter.  Huge kudos to you for taking on so much responsibility!  We're here for you if you need a shoulder for sure...careful with Kerry's shoulder though.

As for the beginner biker friend of a friend, stick with her.  She may turn out to be a great riding partner.  Get in some quality time on your bike and then use your time with her as a recovery ride.  There'll be less stress all the way around.  You don't expect a hard workout and I bet she can sense that you are less eager to speed up.  We love our road bikes, but as cyclists, we have to teach others to love there's as well. 

Edit: wrong person's shoulder...had to fix.

Edited by crews 2010-04-29 3:49 PM
2010-04-29 3:45 PM

User image

Master
OK Manatees...let's do a little post padding to get off of this page...it's stressing me out

having to scroll back and forth to read.
2010-04-29 3:47 PM

User image

Master
We have some biggo storms coming tomorrow and Saturday.
I have to work this weekend as well.
PooP!
2010-04-29 3:50 PM

User image

Master
Did we ditch page 22 yet?

2010-04-29 3:50 PM

User image

Master
Yep!
Yay!
2010-04-29 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2826879

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
crews - 2010-04-29 3:44 PM 
As for the beginner biker friend of a friend, stick with her.  She may turn out to be a great riding partner.  Get in some quality time on your bike and then use your time with her as a recovery ride.  There'll be less stress all the way around.  You don't expect a hard workout and I bet she can sense that you are less eager to speed up.  We love our road bikes, but as cyclists, we have to teach others to love there's as well. 

I kind of agree with this, and when you're making small talk you can throw things in like, "I learned a lot from Sheldon Brown's website."  Or if you were me you could say something like, "When I first started riding, I had to name my shifter buttons 'easier' and 'harder' because I couldn't remember which ones to use on hills."  That kind of indirect conversation can lead to an opening where you can offer your insight without coming off bossy.
2010-04-29 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2827060

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
quincyf - 2010-04-29 4:45 PM

I kind of agree with this, and when you're making small talk you can throw things in like, "I learned a lot from Sheldon Brown's website."  Or if you were me you could say something like, "When I first started riding, I had to name my shifter buttons 'easier' and 'harder' because I couldn't remember which ones to use on hills."  That kind of indirect conversation can lead to an opening where you can offer your insight without coming off bossy.

I like both your suggestions so I think I'll use them both.  Thanks!

And Yanti, I just read your post about your mom.  I'm sorry things are so out of control right now and I think it's amazing what you're doing to take care of her.  Even if she's not able to express it, I know she's proud of the incredible woman she raised, as are we.  Take whatever time you need to get things settled into a routine and let us know if there's anything we can do to help.  At the very least we could dress Ryan up in a double D coconut bikini top and send you a picture to make you laugh.

(sorry for throwing you under the bus Ryan, but I'm sure you're willing to take one for the team)
2010-04-29 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2827266

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
thndrcloud - 2010-04-29 7:09 PM

And Yanti, I just read your post about your mom.  I'm sorry things are so out of control right now and I think it's amazing what you're doing to take care of her.  Even if she's not able to express it, I know she's proud of the incredible woman she raised, as are we.  Take whatever time you need to get things settled into a routine and let us know if there's anything we can do to help.  At the very least we could dress Ryan up in a double D coconut bikini top and send you a picture to make you laugh.

(sorry for throwing you under the bus Ryan, but I'm sure you're willing to take one for the team)

I agree with what everyone else said about the inexperienced rider.  I would use that as a recovery ride for now, but she may improve quickly and you may have a new training partner before you know it.
OK I bagged the run today because my hubby was getting the early train and I was going to be able to make it to master's swim.  So rather than run at 4:30 and swim on my own at 8pm I opted to skip the run and swim a harder workout with Masters at 6:30.  Plan to run tomorrow.
I just signed up for my first race of the season in June- an oly in Montauk.  The water is going to be freezing!!  But I want to use it as a gauge for my HIM in the end of August.  
Night all!! 
2010-04-30 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Gee thanks Allison   But if it would make Yanti laugh and feel better for a moment I suppose I could take one for the team. Although you will be happy to know that I do not currently own a DD coconut bra.  I am more of an aeroboob myself but if anyone has one I can borrow...Tongue out

I guess April was my running month.  I put in 30 miles this month which may be the most ever for me.  I really, really slacked on the bike and swim though but I will concentrate much more on getting all 3 in in May.  With the weather and my busy April schedule, running was just the "easiest" activity I could do.

Edited by blackledge 2010-04-30 10:35 AM

2010-04-30 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2827984

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Good job on getting that mileage in!!

2010-04-30 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2827984

User image

Regular
blackledge - 2010-04-30 9:47 AM Gee thanks Allison   But if it would make Yanti laugh and feel better for a moment I suppose I could take one for the team. Although you will be happy to know that I do not currently own a DD coconut bra.  I am more of an aeroboob myself but if anyone has one I can borrow...Tongue out

I guess April was my running month.  I put in 30 miles this month which may be the most ever for me.  I really, really slacked on the bike and run though but I will concentrate much more on getting all 3 in in May.  With the weather and my busy April schedule, running was just the "easiest" activity I could do.

That's awesome, Ryan!  Good job!

Slept late again, missed my swim, but got in a good (short) run.  It's going to be hot this weekend.  I hate running in the heat.  Wah Wah Wah.
2010-04-30 1:09 PM

User image

Melon Presser
thndrcloud - 2010-04-30 9:09 AM

Man, you people are nice to beginning cyclists. Me, I just get next to them and elbow them into traffic

I'm just kidding. I started and led a beginner's ride for L.A. Tri Club every weekend ... and yes, a lot of experienced riders would come with us as a recovery ride, or as a warm-up for a monster ride they'd be putting in. We called ourselves the Pokey Posse. Apparently this did not just refer to our speed

One must hang on to one's sense of humor in times like these ... 'cause putting up with newbie riders is just awful. Bwah ha ha ...

No really, I did mean my current situation. YOU ARE SUPER MANATEES. Thank you so much for all the beautiful words and thoughts.

Ryan, this does not mean you get out of wearing the coconut bra and once you're done, pass it on to me--you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find those in DD.

After a ridiculously exhausting day--in every way--I still made it out for over 40 minutes running with the Labradoggies on the sand. It CAN be done!
2010-04-30 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2828879

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Thanks all.
Yanti - Glad to see you back online.  Awesome job on the run...I miss the ocean and would love to hit the beach with a dog too. Actually I miss having a dog as well haha.

Darn it...I still have to wear the coconut bra?  I'll keep my eye out for one and then I'll mail it to you Yanti after I try it on and take a photo   Thanks again for suggesting I take one for the team

P.S. Do coconut bras come in actual sizes? Tongue out
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60