Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 171

2010-12-28 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
John - So is there any other recovery drink?  So what is the story on the MG Triathlon?  Miss you guys!  

2010-12-28 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3265294

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Memarshall80 - 2010-12-28 7:59 PM
SSMinnow - 2010-12-28 12:05 PM Hi Peeps......Question Ahead:

Think hard, what's the one concern you have going into the '11 season????  Maybe the brainiacs of the group can help (and yes, Fatty that also includes you!)

I may be a little late to the party on this question.

My biggest concern is choosing the correct training plan. Being that I have ZERO experience with endurance training I am worried I may burn myself out in 2 months.

During my football days, I was always taught to give 100% on every rep and go as far and fast as possible. After reading many of your posts, I am seeing a lot of chat about peaking, etc….

So, if anyone has any recollection of what there first training plan looked like, your feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

Great question!!  I would love to forward you my first plan for my SUPER SPRINT, but I didn't have one.  I was already a runner, so I biked a rail trail and tried to swim 25y at a time.  I didn't know diddly about peaking, siting or the like.  Since you are doing a Sprint on 7/23, I am guessing a beginners plan from BT would be a good place to start.  A little tough for me to know since I don't see logged workouts.  Will you be doing that in the new year?  Always helpful for the crew to give advice based on the data!

I think the fact you recognize burn out could be an issue is a big start.  Start slowly, you have months to get yourself ready for that first event!
2010-12-28 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3265254

User image

Master
Sin City
Kerrdog79 - 2010-12-28 5:33 PM
SSMinnow - 2010-12-28 11:05 AM Hi Peeps......Question Ahead:

Think hard, what's the one concern you have going into the '11 season????  Maybe the brainiacs of the group can help (and yes, Fatty that also includes you!)

I have 2. 

First I want to be sure I find a balance between being a new dad and a new triathlete. 

Second I want to get better at running.  Currently I cannot run a full 5k without walking.  I completed my first tri and swam 1:30 better than I trained and biked right about spot on where I expected but my run was all intervals of run/walk.

Hey!  You'll be surprised to know that my entire Tri Season was based on the Galloway method of run/walk. I find that my endurance is very long because of that. Funny enough, I did my FIRST 5 miles straight (in fact first time I did MORE than 2 miles), without walking during my first Half Mary. I had SO much left in my tank, and i think the run/walk method helped. 

I found that it helps me to pace a little bit better and to lower my heart rate better. I have not gotten injured at all (sore, yes, but not injured...big difference). Especially that this is the first season of running.  This year I'm hoping that I'm reducing the amount of time walking and doing more running. We'll see!   There's nothing wrong with Run/Walk method, specifically Galloway method.

Funny enough, when I was running with a friend who has done a marathon (very poorly by the way), a few Tri races and a few 5k. When she ran with me, she actually had a very hard keeping up because she couldn't handle the intervals, while I had absolutely no problems.

2010-12-28 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3264689

User image

Master
Maryland
sstucker - 2010-12-28 2:37 PM

OWS for an oly or him race...fear
2010-12-28 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3265347

User image

Champion
marietta
cbarnes1 - 2010-12-28 9:27 PM John - So is there any other recovery drink?  So what is the story on the MG Triathlon?  Miss you guys!  

there he is!!!  no other recovery drink is better!!!!  we'll get the virtual tri rolling here in a few weeks.  i suggest getting a few mg's involved, as you can see i've already started taking sh*t!  we'll work out the details soon!!!!

awesome to see you have your own group chet.   those guys and gals over there are lucky to have you.  there's a mean rumor going around that i might make a run at boston (or faster!) in the distant future so maybe i'll have to hit you up when the time comes.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-12-28 8:38 PM
2010-12-28 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3265348

User image

Jersey
SSMinnow - 2010-12-28 9:28 PM
Memarshall80 - 2010-12-28 7:59 PM

I may be a little late to the party on this question.

My biggest concern is choosing the correct training plan. Being that I have ZERO experience with endurance training I am worried I may burn myself out in 2 months.

During my football days, I was always taught to give 100% on every rep and go as far and fast as possible. After reading many of your posts, I am seeing a lot of chat about peaking, etc….

So, if anyone has any recollection of what there first training plan looked like, your feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

Great question!!  I would love to forward you my first plan for my SUPER SPRINT, but I didn't have one.  I was already a runner, so I biked a rail trail and tried to swim 25y at a time.  I didn't know diddly about peaking, siting or the like.  Since you are doing a Sprint on 7/23, I am guessing a beginners plan from BT would be a good place to start.  A little tough for me to know since I don't see logged workouts.  Will you be doing that in the new year?  Always helpful for the crew to give advice based on the data!

I think the fact you recognize burn out could be an issue is a big start.  Start slowly, you have months to get yourself ready for that first event!

Yes, I am starting to log all of my training on BT when I start the training program after the new year. I have been logging everything on Movescount.com with my watch and hrm.

I have to update my profile to include a few other races:

Wilmington Athletic Club Triathlon- April 3rd
Clemson Triathlon- May 14th

So I have 4ish months to get ready for my first sprint.

2010-12-28 8:47 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
That's great John. We can run it together, they have good beer in Boston I hear.  I missed the opportunity to run with Kim this year.  Next year I am having the whole family on computers trying to get me signed up (as long as I re-qualify)

Suzy set me straight about not visiting.. she is your best go to for Boston we all know but I will help anyway I can.  Good luck, keep me posted. 
2010-12-28 8:53 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
will do chet!  take it easy man.
2010-12-28 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3265211

User image

Veteran
kkcbelle - 2010-12-28 7:08 PM
GrapeJuice - 2010-12-28 3:53 PM
trying1 - 2010-12-28 5:31 PM
GrapeJuice - 2010-12-28 2:24 PM So my Hyperlink skills are not as good as I though lol, here is the link for the class

http://jackrabbitsports.com/training-programs/swimming/swim-level-i-efficient-technique/?location=1

I heard that the jackrabbit classes in general are pretty good. the only thing that you may want to do in addition to these sessions is some group OW swim or lessons in OW (they may offer them latter in the season)..  Also as it gets closer to the NYC tri, there are a couple of races on the same swim course.  I heard it's a great pre-race because you swim in less crowded water..   Also as the water gets warmer there are group swims at Cedar Beach, I plan to attend these as well.

Thanks, ye I figured I would need some OW time and my Tri club has ties to a OW swim group that operates outta Brighton  beach so I plan on doing some swims with them, I will also look into those pre races as well

So I just gotta ask... What's the story behind GrapeJuice??

Well I wish it was a cool story behind it but there isnt, just a nickname one of my friends gave me that stuck one day playing basketball in college Embarassed
2010-12-28 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3265251

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
badgerintx - 2010-12-28 8:30 PM

Only concern so far...Way to early in the season to stress about anything.... is:

Beating Tony off the Bike at Rev3 in Knoxville.....since we are now in the same AG!
(still considering doing the HIM just to avoid the possibility of a full season of trash talk!!Laughing

hmm, let me look at your swim times, not sure how much of a head start I am giving you here....
2010-12-28 9:22 PM
in reply to: #3264415

User image

New user
Ottawa

My main concern is healthy eating during the training season...  I have a terrible diet.  Need to clean it up!!!

Next concern is the swim... I'm 2:00-2:30 per 100 right now plus I have a terrible time with relaxing and breathing in races (I saw someone else mention that too...).  It feels a little bit like panic and adrenaline mixed together... It sucks.  Need to find the 'zone.' 

Also, while it's not a concern, it's a goal: I'd like to run a BQ in 2011.  I have the pace down pat all the way through 25-30k and then it's all down hill from there.

I have a coach for running and riding this year so I expect to see some good improvement in those areas.

2010-12-28 9:23 PM
in reply to: #3264635

User image

Champion
mike6232 - 2010-12-28 2:07 PM Wow I did not know that there was so much to think about when you train and when you race.  This spring will be my first attempt at a triathlon race.  So far I have just run 2 5K runs.  I was thinking that I would just make my first attempt at a sprint tri around March or April and then just go from there and see how I felt.  I know all of you are doing longer races and timing may not matter as much with a sprint.  Should I have some type of plan on sprint races (when and how far apart) or does it not matter as much whith the short races?

I think we all started there, I know I did.  Don't get hung up on how long your race is vs what others are doing.  When I first started, doing a sprint distance seemed as crazy as doing an 140.3.  I was so worried I wouldn't be able to finish the 300M pool swim.  LOL my first OWS sprint 28 minutes for 750 meters, I actually tried to quit but no one saw me so I had to finish the swim...

A sprint triathlon is as much as a triathlon as doing any other distance, if it's new to you it's still hard.  When you get faster sprints will be the races that if done correctly will probably hurt the most during the actual race.

So now that we have that settled. 

I would check out the sprint plans here on BT, you can import them into your logs, set one up that ends with your first race.  That should get you to the race at a pretty decent spot.  Don't worry if you can't get the swim/bike/run distances in the plan done in the time the plan provides.  I used to never come close to the swim times, but still swam the time that was listed in the plan and didn't worry about distance as much.

Sprints are not going to take as long to recover from so you could schedule something closer than say if you were doing Half Iron or Iron Man distance races.  Some of what we were talking about earlier is being tapered for "A" races which basically means you punish your body for 20 weeks, give a week or two for your body to recover and "add" all that fitness gained during the training and arrive at the race in your best form.

For the first year at least I woudn't worry as much about A vs. B vs. C races, just go have fun and get some experience.  Figure out what your weaknesses are, figure out how races work, etc.

2010-12-28 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3265434

User image

Jersey
dalessit - 2010-12-28 10:23 PM
mike6232 - 2010-12-28 2:07 PM Wow I did not know that there was so much to think about when you train and when you race.  This spring will be my first attempt at a triathlon race.  So far I have just run 2 5K runs.  I was thinking that I would just make my first attempt at a sprint tri around March or April and then just go from there and see how I felt.  I know all of you are doing longer races and timing may not matter as much with a sprint.  Should I have some type of plan on sprint races (when and how far apart) or does it not matter as much whith the short races?

I think we all started there, I know I did.  Don't get hung up on how long your race is vs what others are doing.  When I first started, doing a sprint distance seemed as crazy as doing an 140.3.  I was so worried I wouldn't be able to finish the 300M pool swim.  LOL my first OWS sprint 28 minutes for 750 meters, I actually tried to quit but no one saw me so I had to finish the swim...

A sprint triathlon is as much as a triathlon as doing any other distance, if it's new to you it's still hard.  When you get faster sprints will be the races that if done correctly will probably hurt the most during the actual race.

I would check out the sprint plans here on BT, you can import them into your logs, set one up that ends with your first race.  That should get you to the race at a pretty decent spot.  Don't worry if you can't get the swim/bike/run distances in the plan done in the time the plan provides.  I used to never come close to the swim times, but still swam the time that was listed in the plan and didn't worry about distance as much.

Sprints are not going to take as long to recover from so you could schedule something closer than say if you were doing Half Iron or Iron Man distance races.  Some of what we were talking about earlier is being tapered for "A" races which basically means you punish your body for 20 weeks, give a week or two for your body to recover and "add" all that fitness gained during the training and arrive at the race in your best form.

For the first year at least I woudn't worry as much about A vs. B vs. C races, just go have fun and get some experience.  Figure out what your weaknesses are, figure out how races work, etc.

Great Feedback!!!
2010-12-28 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3265434

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2010-12-28 8:23 PM

Totally agree. Go out and have fun. My first summer I did 5 sprints and 2 Olympics and a relay as well. I just wanted to race. I enjoyed the environment so much.  Race a sprint every weekend if you want.
No doubt, tomorrow you could finish a sprint even if you had to hold onto the canoe(like Tony!!)

When you get to the longer distances, honestly it becomes less about the 'fun' of it, and more about the 'completing.'
2010-12-28 10:04 PM
in reply to: #3264188

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
Sorry to hear about your cat never easy
2010-12-28 10:16 PM

User image

Veteran
New York
SSMinnow - 2010-12-29 1:05 AM Hi Peeps......Question Ahead:

1. Run faster. I feel like I'm really slow on the run. Maybe I need to continue building on my aerobic base?
2. Work on my swimming technique to get faster. Honestly, I've only been swimming for  1.5 yrs & I have tons to work on here.
3. Set a challenging & realistic target time for my 1st HIM in March. any thoughts? I know as a 1st tri at this distance (I'm not concerned about doing the distance) I should just look to finish, but I would like something more tangible to push me in my training... 

2010-12-28 11:22 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

ROLLCALL FOR THE REV 3

Who from the MG is in?  I am going to do a half around May and was going to do the Gulf Coast as a prep for IM, but considering Knoxville to party with the MG. 

2010-12-28 11:36 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario

Great Question. Wow miss a few days and 15 pages show up..lol

I think I would like to improve on my times from the two little races I did. But that will be hard to tell because I plan on doing two sprints this year.

I had issues on both Try a Tri's with my Runs. I could run the distance on each event but I blew up on both of them. My first one was a 2.5km run and I walked about 1km of it. I had just started my journey and could only run 3km total on my own at the time. My second was 2.5km again and I walked 3 times for about 30 seconds each time. I dropped my Garmin off my bike and left it and ran without it. I went out too hard into my run. I also went from top 10 over all down to 38th or something on the run. I was like 50th on the run alone. So I am really aware of where I LOST my race. I don't care where I place over all, because it is me against me, but it showed where everyone caught me (where I need to improve) the run. 

I rely on my Garmin for pacing REALLY BADLY. without it I push too hard too fast and I always Blow up, gas out whatever you want to call it.

I really want to improve on my self awareness/pacing. Along with improve my distance and running speed. I can run 10km although I have only done it a few times. I back my pace off and I can do it. But I have yet to really improve on my 5km time. I was running 8 min/km I am now in the 6:30-6:40 min/km range and that is pushing and I can't seem to get faster then this. For 7-10km runs I run at 7 min/km pace.

So I would like to find a way to improve on this. And I would like to build up to a half marathon distance for the spring.

Edited by Techdiver 2010-12-28 11:40 PM
2010-12-29 6:11 AM
in reply to: #3265293

User image

New user
Ottawa
Plainsman AU - 2010-12-28 8:59 PM I think I am in the same camp with many of the other MGers.  I think balancing life and IM training will be one of the things I need to focus on for '11.  Summer here gets very busy as lake time and cold beer cuts in to training time and I need to make IM a priority and I WILL this year. 

Last year I got derailed from training seriously during the summer and I can't let that happen again.

Yeah, I agree!!!  Family, life, work, training... the balance is tough.  Really gotta plan to make the most out of every waking minute :P
2010-12-29 6:27 AM
in reply to: #3265539

User image

Champion
Techdiver - 2010-12-28 11:36 PM

I think I would like to improve on my times from the two little races I did. But that will be hard to tell because I plan on doing two sprints this year.

I had issues on both Try a Tri's with my Runs. I could run the distance on each event but I blew up on both of them. My first one was a 2.5km run and I walked about 1km of it. I had just started my journey and could only run 3km total on my own at the time. My second was 2.5km again and I walked 3 times for about 30 seconds each time. I dropped my Garmin off my bike and left it and ran without it. I went out too hard into my run. I also went from top 10 over all down to 38th or something on the run. I was like 50th on the run alone. So I am really aware of where I LOST my race. I don't care where I place over all, because it is me against me, but it showed where everyone caught me (where I need to improve) the run. 

I rely on my Garmin for pacing REALLY BADLY. without it I push too hard too fast and I always Blow up, gas out whatever you want to call it.

I really want to improve on my self awareness/pacing. Along with improve my distance and running speed. I can run 10km although I have only done it a few times. I back my pace off and I can do it. But I have yet to really improve on my 5km time. I was running 8 min/km I am now in the 6:30-6:40 min/km range and that is pushing and I can't seem to get faster then this. For 7-10km runs I run at 7 min/km pace.

So I would like to find a way to improve on this. And I would like to build up to a half marathon distance for the spring.

First, your run times are GREAT!!  I long to get back to those paces.  Two questions:

1. How are you pacing the bike? is it possible you're gassed on the run because your working beyond your capabilities here?

2. Have you ever used RPE as your running judge?  I've been running a long time and have gotten good at knowing how close I am to LT. That's all I use for triathlon.    If you've not used it before it might be worth incorporating into some of our runs (or even parts of them).  There could be a day when your Garmin totally craps out and your left to do it anyway. 
2010-12-29 6:31 AM

User image

Champion
WOO-HOO, it's WEDNESDAY!!!!  Check your calendars and let us know if you're racing this weekend!  Details people....

For those of us not toeing the line, what's the one goal you are absolutely going to work your tail off to nail in ' 11? what're you going to do to get there?

2010-12-29 6:32 AM
in reply to: #3265532

User image

Champion
Plainsman AU - 2010-12-28 11:22 PM

ROLLCALL FOR THE REV 3

Who from the MG is in?  I am going to do a half around May and was going to do the Gulf Coast as a prep for IM, but considering Knoxville to party with the MG. 

Ok, how many times do we have to answer this question....the list was posted last week dude.  Didn't you like the list?
2010-12-29 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3265628

User image

Champion
Signed up for this race but on the waiting list.

http://www.tourofthebattenkill.com/

Any of you NY'ers in that area?
2010-12-29 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3265539

User image

Elite
san francisco
Techdiver - 2010-12-28 9:36 PM

Hey Spanky,
Do you have a Garmin that shows heart rate, too?  And if so, have you been monitoring your HR as well as your pace?  I have one screen that I set to just show current HR, lap time and lap distance, and average lap HR.  This takes away the distraction of looking at the pace.  Perhaps on some of your training runs, you could run with RPE (rate of perceived exertion), or by HR if you do train by heartrate and then look at your pace afterwards?  I actually started doing this last year when I just couldn't seem to get my heartrate into the proper zone and realized it was a mental block for me because the pace was faster/slower than what my mind was saying I should be doing.

If you have any questions about heartrate training, feel free to ask, lots of us in the MG train by heartrate.  I personally think it has helped me get my run times way down...but initially I think I felt slow while training, but it was important to build up an endurance base.
2010-12-29 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3265726

User image

Chatham Ontario
kt65 - 2010-12-29 7:48 AM Hey Spanky,
Do you have a Garmin that shows heart rate, too?  And if so, have you been monitoring your HR as well as your pace?  I have one screen that I set to just show current HR, lap time and lap distance, and average lap HR.  This takes away the distraction of looking at the pace.  Perhaps on some of your training runs, you could run with RPE (rate of perceived exertion), or by HR if you do train by heartrate and then look at your pace afterwards?  I actually started doing this last year when I just couldn't seem to get my heartrate into the proper zone and realized it was a mental block for me because the pace was faster/slower than what my mind was saying I should be doing.

If you have any questions about heartrate training, feel free to ask, lots of us in the MG train by heartrate.  I personally think it has helped me get my run times way down...but initially I think I felt slow while training, but it was important to build up an endurance base.

I should have clarified. I actually use Heart Rate more then pace to truely gauge myself and how I feel. I guess my issue is RPE I am not good at doing that without the HR monitor.l For longer runs I do look at my pace more and HR to make sure My HR is around the 145 mark no more. Because I know I can sustain this for 10km. When I run my 5k faster my heart rate is more. I started transfering my garmin data so I have some HR data in there too. I am going to try and get out and run today and I will upload later tonight and speak better to this again. Mind you my pace isdown for my HR because of the snow. I noticed my HR is about 10 BPM more in the snow for the same pace.

I totally used/relied on HR while loosing my weight and training this summer. I am an non insulin diabetic and my HR would tell me how my sugar was. ie if I was running and my BPM jumped up by 15-20 BPM quickly then I knew my sugar was dropping quickly.
Thanks

Edited by Techdiver 2010-12-29 7:59 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171