BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-02-25 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3372406

User image

South Florida
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed
Leegoocrap - 2011-02-25 12:17 PM
nvalaitis - 2011-02-24 9:08 AM Happy Thursday, Everyone. Its almost the weekend. I'm faced with a tough decision. THe Marine Corps Marathon registration is open right now, and will probably only last until tomorrow. I would love to do it again, but It's the weekend after the IM i wanted to do. MY one friend is trying to get me to do both but i really dont think its safe at all. So i'll probably do the IM then do the HIM a month later. (Both the IM & HIM are local) Am i crazy?

I got my usual 10K run planned for tonight. Along the beach that is :-)

First IM?

There is absolutely NO way I could have ran any distance a week after my first IM. I didn't want to do anything but lay on the couch and lick my wounds.

Even the HIM a month later I'd leave in the back of my mind. It takes some serious time to recover from 140.6 miles, especially if you are "racing" it.

Definitely not saying it can't be done though

Yep, First IM. And I do plan on racing it. Luckily, they MCM has sold out already :-) But i also plan on doing the HIM around thanksgiving. That'll be played by ear as i can transfer to next year if need be

2011-02-25 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3256935

User image

New user
Seems like I have been off for a little bit. Tried to do sprints in the indoor track, but the turns were very sharp and did not feel comfortable when sprinting. Ran about a mile then moved to the treadmill and did some intervals at max incline. That was a workout.

Today we had a 4k fun run for some wingman spirit building. Just wanted to jog this one and did so for the first half to 3/4 mile till I felt some 36mph and up to 55mph gusts come head on. Figured I would take advantage of it and do some resistance running so it quickly turned into a 100% effort run. When the wind blew behind me, I would try to pick my running cadence up. Turned out to be a great run!

From what I have noticed, I could pick up my cadence up a little in both running and especially in biking. Does anyone have any workouts to help build this, or is this something that just comes over time. It seems like my legs feel kinda heavy to be moving at a fast cadence.

Sprint distance is coming up soon, and it looks like my events are gonna have to be changed around a bit due to work :/. The olympic distance I had planned is now out of the question and will need to be pushed back to september or so, and that means the usaf marathon is out of the question, but will fill the spot with another tri or another marathon later in the year.
2011-02-26 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3372978

User image

South Florida
Andr3w - 2011-02-25 5:08 PM Seems like I have been off for a little bit. Tried to do sprints in the indoor track, but the turns were very sharp and did not feel comfortable when sprinting. Ran about a mile then moved to the treadmill and did some intervals at max incline. That was a workout.

Today we had a 4k fun run for some wingman spirit building. Just wanted to jog this one and did so for the first half to 3/4 mile till I felt some 36mph and up to 55mph gusts come head on. Figured I would take advantage of it and do some resistance running so it quickly turned into a 100% effort run. When the wind blew behind me, I would try to pick my running cadence up. Turned out to be a great run!

From what I have noticed, I could pick up my cadence up a little in both running and especially in biking. Does anyone have any workouts to help build this, or is this something that just comes over time. It seems like my legs feel kinda heavy to be moving at a fast cadence.

Sprint distance is coming up soon, and it looks like my events are gonna have to be changed around a bit due to work :/. The olympic distance I had planned is now out of the question and will need to be pushed back to september or so, and that means the usaf marathon is out of the question, but will fill the spot with another tri or another marathon later in the year.

Thats some serious wind gust. Although good for resistance, wind gets me so pissed. But makes for stronger legs.
2011-02-26 11:24 AM

User image

South Florida
Happy Saturday everyone. Had a good run last night and a good ride this AM. Absolutely great weather. But it's starting to warm up down here, which means the blistering south florida sun is only weeks away.  I took a photo a my ride today (hope is post this time)

What does your ride/run look like?

(IMG-20110226-00016.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG-20110226-00016.jpg (76KB - 12 downloads)
2011-02-26 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3373546

User image

New user
nvalaitis - 2011-02-26 12:24 AM Happy Saturday everyone. Had a good run last night and a good ride this AM. Absolutely great weather. But it's starting to warm up down here, which means the blistering south florida sun is only weeks away.  I took a photo a my ride today (hope is post this time)

WOW is that the beach? Everything looks great in that picture. My ride view consists of the freeway or warehouse buildings on one side and the flight line on the other. I look forward to going home and riding along the beach. I hope I can do a sprint or Olympic distance at home this year. 

Looks like that run has taken a lot out of my legs cause my calves are extremely sore right now.  
2011-02-26 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3373575

User image

South Florida
Yes, it's route A1A at Ft Lauderdale Beach. Thats the "goto" route for the majority of the cyclist/runners down here. My other route i do during the week is the Airport Rd which goes around Ft Lauderdale Airport. The planes land so close that i could probably throw a tennins ball up and it would hit it (WHICH I WOULD NEVER DO, incase the FAA is watching this thread). I'll have to take a photo of that this week. It never gets old though. Although i rather have your view of the runway Andrew. Much better planes

2011-02-26 12:32 PM

User image

Bronze member
That's ironic, I was going to take my camera with me today on my ride but forgot it at the last minute. Your ride is a lot prettier than mine! Gray skies, damp air, and 35 degrees this morning. I only had an 8 mph wind but it felt impossible because I was COLD. I'm still trying to warm back up. That was painful but I kept telling myself it will only make me stronger. I'll take the camera next time. Today's ride I saw 2 cars and I was chased by 4 dogs although one of those belongs to my sister in law I was pretending we were racing until a fox ran out in front of us and I had to slam on the brakes! I thought I was going over the handle bars for sure.

Maybe you all can give me some advice for riding into the wind. I only managed 15 mph into the wind today and I was aero on my tribike. It just seems like I should be able to do better than that. I know I was cold and wearing 3 layers but still.
2011-02-28 8:12 PM
in reply to: #3373588

User image

South Florida
trigal38 - 2011-02-26 1:32 PM That's ironic, I was going to take my camera with me today on my ride but forgot it at the last minute. Your ride is a lot prettier than mine! Gray skies, damp air, and 35 degrees this morning. I only had an 8 mph wind but it felt impossible because I was COLD. I'm still trying to warm back up. That was painful but I kept telling myself it will only make me stronger. I'll take the camera next time. Today's ride I saw 2 cars and I was chased by 4 dogs although one of those belongs to my sister in law I was pretending we were racing until a fox ran out in front of us and I had to slam on the brakes! I thought I was going over the handle bars for sure.

Maybe you all can give me some advice for riding into the wind. I only managed 15 mph into the wind today and I was aero on my tribike. It just seems like I should be able to do better than that. I know I was cold and wearing 3 layers but still.

Riding into the wind blows  Literally  :-) I've hear different stories of riding into a head wind. 1) was drop it into a taller gear and do a higher cadence or 2) drop it into a small gear on the cassette and lower cadence. Can anyone confirm? Chris?

I have a love hate realationship with the wind. I drop it into the smallest gear on the cassette and muscle thru it. It gives my legs a hell of a workout. So its a win-win :-) kinda....
2011-02-28 8:17 PM

User image

South Florida
Happy Monday. Its almost over and that means we are one day closer the the weekend. And i'm one day closer to my bachelor party on Saturday night. So i plan to train my butt of Fri and Saturday morning. Because i know i will be completely useless on Sunday. Should be..... interesting...

So i had a good run tonight and realllllly liking my Newtons. But on my route back i was holding steady at a 7min pace and had some spikes in the pace. Not sure what was up... Check it out though..

(Garmin Stat.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Garmin Stat.JPG (21KB - 11 downloads)
2011-03-01 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3372978

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Andr3w - 2011-02-25 5:08 PM

Raising your cadence may or may not have a positive effect, depending on what you read or who you believe. Personally, I feel so long as we're not talking a freakishly low cadence (<70 or so) then you aren't going to see a huge change.

Cadence on the bike - ride in a gear lower than normal and try to keep the same Watts / Speed.
Cadence on the run - count the times your right (or left) foot hits the ground. try to work on raising that number. Don't do it for a whole run, just every couple of minutes. It'll raise over time.
2011-03-01 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3376471

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
nvalaitis - 2011-02-28 9:17 PM Happy Monday. Its almost over and that means we are one day closer the the weekend. And i'm one day closer to my bachelor party on Saturday night. So i plan to train my butt of Fri and Saturday morning. Because i know i will be completely useless on Sunday. Should be..... interesting...

Congratulations, and just as importantly, be careful...and have fun. After last year (3 of my buddies got married within 6 months) I can honestly say, it's a safety hazard But a fun one.

2011-03-01 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3373546

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
nvalaitis - 2011-02-26 12:24 PM

This is how my ride looks most days

2011-03-03 11:10 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
whew, had a really rough ride last night. Got a new Power record (woohoo) but it was really rough. Still trying to get used to riding my tri bike again is kicking my butt.

Hope everyone is having some good weather and great training!
2011-03-03 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3381067

User image

Bronze member
Leegoocrap - 2011-03-03 11:10 AM whew, had a really rough ride last night. Got a new Power record (woohoo) but it was really rough. Still trying to get used to riding my tri bike again is kicking my butt.

Hope everyone is having some good weather and great training!

Because you work harder on your tri bike or your position is different or another reason? Just curious since I've only been on my tri bike for a little over a month. I have not ridden my road bike once since I bought the tri bike. My husband is starting to think we should sell it but I keep telling him I will probably ride it more when I'm not getting ready for races.

Good job on your ride!
2011-03-03 2:22 PM

User image

Bronze member
I'm starting to think the 1/2 IM is not such a great idea. Maybe I should stop looking ahead in my training plan!
2011-03-03 6:26 PM
in reply to: #3381390

User image

South Florida
trigal38 - 2011-03-03 3:22 PM I'm starting to think the 1/2 IM is not such a great idea. Maybe I should stop looking ahead in my training plan!
That's a big no-no.  It'll get better.

2011-03-03 6:29 PM

User image

South Florida

ALRIGHT!!!!!! Just got back from a great runner, and i set a new 10k PB 51:57. My plan was to just go out for a "nice" run, but then it just started to feel good. I have my water so i figured why the heck not. I would've broke 50 if i didn't take the first 1.5 miles easy. Oh well, i'm happy with it. And oh, the shoes felt great!

Here the splits

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/71118044

Edited by nvalaitis 2011-03-03 6:35 PM
2011-03-04 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3381783

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
nvalaitis - 2011-03-03 7:29 PM

ALRIGHT!!!!!! Just got back from a great runner, and i set a new 10k PB 51:57. My plan was to just go out for a "nice" run, but then it just started to feel good. I have my water so i figured why the heck not. I would've broke 50 if i didn't take the first 1.5 miles easy. Oh well, i'm happy with it. And oh, the shoes felt great!

Here the splits

heck yeah, looks great! Next time - sub 50

2011-03-04 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3381383

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

trigal38 - 2011-03-03 3:17 PM
Because you work harder on your tri bike or your position is different or another reason? Just curious since I've only been on my tri bike for a little over a month. I have not ridden my road bike once since I bought the tri bike. My husband is starting to think we should sell it but I keep telling him I will probably ride it more when I'm not getting ready for races.

Good job on your ride!

It's not quite working harder exactly, just that being in the tri position (especially mine which is quite steep anyways) is fairly uncomfortable for long periods of time, especially on the trainer.

I would never sell my road bike... it's much more practical and useful for everyday riding / training. I look at my road bike like a swiss army knife, good for lots of situations, and my tri bike like a butter knife... great at what it does, but pretty not that great for things other than what it was designed for (going fast )

2011-03-04 2:54 PM

User image

Bronze member

Yes, that's what I was thinking too. I have only been riding my tri bike because #1 - my knees don't hurt on it and they did on the road bike, #2 I think I have a lot to learn about how to ride the tri bike (obviously like how to handle a cross wind!).

So I went for a ride this morning on the tri bike and the cross wind about killed me. Seriously, I did not feel like I had control of the bike at all (it was extremely windy - like gusts of 30 +). I felt like the bike might blow right out from under me. Also the roads were wet and slick which did not help the situation. I tried to stay aero but honestly felt so unstable I just sat up. The headwind was fine (as fine as 30 mph winds in your face can be) but that cross wind was really awful. I actually wished that I was on my roadie!

Is this normal? Do I need something done with my fit? I was so tense I felt like I was holding on for dear life and could not relax at all. I would not want to race feeling like that on my bike. It took so much energy just to hang on.

2011-03-04 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3381783

User image

Bronze member
nvalaitis - 2011-03-03 6:29 PM

Here the splits

That's a great run and happy the shoes are working for you!

2011-03-04 5:48 PM

Veteran
hi everyone- trying to get caught up with the posts- looks like everyone is trng very hard!!!

- I saw the sports med dr- she feels have a SI joint dysfunction- due to muscle imbalances- anyway- this is good and a treatable issue!! Yeh! Have an appt with physio this Monday- so will wait to see what they say about my 30km race end of March. Still trng for it- have a 3 hr run tomorrow morning!!

Happy weekend everyone- we're looking at rain all day tomorrow- I guess better than snow---but hope it is not pouring out at 0530!!!

cheers,

Helen
2011-03-05 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3383356

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

HelenR - 2011-03-04 6:48 PM hi everyone- trying to get caught up with the posts- looks like everyone is trng very hard!!! - I saw the sports med dr- she feels have a SI joint dysfunction- due to muscle imbalances- anyway- this is good and a treatable issue!! Yeh! Have an appt with physio this Monday- so will wait to see what they say about my 30km race end of March. Still trng for it- have a 3 hr run tomorrow morning!! Happy weekend everyone- we're looking at rain all day tomorrow- I guess better than snow---but hope it is not pouring out at 0530!!! cheers, Helen

holy moly, a 3 hour run!? I thought my 1:30 was going to be terrible... I think I need to HTFU!

2011-03-05 12:54 PM

User image

New user

Hey everyone,

Haven't been too active on here lately and havent posted any logs., but I am still being active. Picked up a great deal on a mag trainer. $35 for one that was basically brand new! Also was speaking with the seller. He said he the trainer and the road bike after doing a local race with a friend. Thought he would love the biking sport but two training rides in hated it. The bike is a Fuji 52cm road bike that is a few years old. Says less than 100 miles for sure. Also has ultegra components! He is looking for 300 for the bike. Does this sound like a good deal?

2011-03-05 3:50 PM

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire

Hey all. Had a mixed last week or so due to work commitments but trying to keep some form of schedule in place.

Work load wont get any better next week as on the road from 5am monday until thursday night. Can see quite a few gym based sessions ahead.

On a positive front I am on course with the weight loss, in the last 7 weeks have managed to drop 22 lbs so far and now sit at 213 lbs which is lighter than last year. Month end target is to be at 203, so fingers crossed there and lots of will power. I really want to get below the 200 mark as not been there in 15 years.

feeling good about the eating schedule so far but the nights away are the hardest when it comes to keeping to a low fat diet

Hope your week end is going well

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22