BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-02-13 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3352841

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL
MonkeyClaw - 2011-02-13 1:35 PM

At 'Elevensies' (Lord of the Rings reference...)

Second breakfast for me - funny stuff.

My marathon was today. It was an all or nothing race for me. I wanted to run 2:59:XX. I knew that if everything went right I had a 'chance' to reach my goal. I blew up. I could have achieved a PR today (3:04 - 3:06) but I went for it.

I finished in 3:24:XX. But I am actually okay with that - I am usually very measured in my race. I bit off a big chunk and choked. I did not want the 3:0X - I wanted the sub-3. I guess it can down to no guts no glory.

I see this race as a learning experience - a bump in the road.

2011-02-13 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3352660

User image

Extreme Veteran
MonkeyClaw - 2011-02-13 10:04 AM

I finished my marathon in 4:29. It was a very hilly course. I'm working on the RR now, still waiting for official results before I post it. Here are a couple of pics though.

CONGRATS! - Dang that is a hilly race. (mine was like 5 feet total gain). You nailed it!
2011-02-13 6:03 PM
in reply to: #3352979

microspawn - 2011-02-13 3:49 PM
MonkeyClaw - 2011-02-13 1:35 PM At 'Elevensies' (Lord of the Rings reference...)
Second breakfast for me - funny stuff. My marathon was today. It was an all or nothing race for me. I wanted to run 2:59:XX. I knew that if everything went right I had a 'chance' to reach my goal. I blew up. I could have achieved a PR today (3:04 - 3:06) but I went for it. I finished in 3:24:XX. But I am actually okay with that - I am usually very measured in my race. I bit off a big chunk and choked. I did not want the 3:0X - I wanted the sub-3. I guess it can down to no guts no glory. I see this race as a learning experience - a bump in the road.

Sounds like you did go for it! I know you didn't hit your mark, but still an awesome time that is going to take years before I can make that mark. Sounds like you learned something, so that has got to be good, great job either way.
2011-02-13 6:05 PM
in reply to: #3352979

microspawn - 2011-02-13 3:49 PM
MonkeyClaw - 2011-02-13 1:35 PM At 'Elevensies' (Lord of the Rings reference...)
Second breakfast for me - funny stuff. My marathon was today. It was an all or nothing race for me. I wanted to run 2:59:XX. I knew that if everything went right I had a 'chance' to reach my goal. I blew up. I could have achieved a PR today (3:04 - 3:06) but I went for it. I finished in 3:24:XX. But I am actually okay with that - I am usually very measured in my race. I bit off a big chunk and choked. I did not want the 3:0X - I wanted the sub-3. I guess it can down to no guts no glory. I see this race as a learning experience - a bump in the road.

i just calculated that out... wow, a 7:46 min/mi pace, for 26 miles, still awesome!
2011-02-13 6:25 PM
in reply to: #3353141

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
loper245 - 2011-02-13 4:05 PM
i just calculated that out... wow, a 7:46 min/mi pace, for 26 miles, still awesome!

Yeah, that's F'ing crazy! Great job!
2011-02-13 6:38 PM
in reply to: #3257746

User image

Expert
Doug - I had a pretty serious soda addiction at one point, I replaced the caffeine with coffee, and the sugar with no-sugar (I pretty much have cut all sugar out, as best I can), but even now years later, while I really don't miss the sugar anymore I still have very strong emotional WANTS for soda.  I miss the fizzy.  I've been buying carbonated water and adding Crystal Light.  It works well, sweet, fizzy, totally fills my emotional need for a soda, and has no sugar or calories (well, negligable calories anyway).

Microspawn - I love it, go big or go home!  I've wanted to try that in some of the short races I've done, but never had the guts to really go for it.

2011-02-13 6:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Norcal SAHD--Thanks!  I have really been working hard on getting my speed up there.  It has taken me a couple of years to get to this point.

Monkeyclaw----Thanks!  Awesome job yourself.  Running with a good incline is no joke and for a full at that.  I did hill sprints and it killed my hamstrings and It band for weeks.  Kudos to you.

Microspawn--That is an awesome pace, esp to hold for 26 miles. 

Got a good ride in today. The weather was 50 something out.  I thought I would treat it as a good recovery ride, take it easy on the legs, and not worry about the pace at all.  Well, it was super windy, still did not worry about pace, but it ended up being more work than recovery due to the wind.  Oh well, got of the bike and the legs felt much better.  They are stiff and a little sore today.  
Shortly after the bike, did about an hour of the p90x yoga.  Stretching and holding the poses felt awesome on the legs.  Rounded it out with my hubby using the stick on the quads and hamstrings.  

Long swim in the morning, followed by a 6 mile easy run.  What does everyone else have on their training agenda for their Monday?

Edited by Dixbry 2011-02-13 6:49 PM
2011-02-13 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3352971

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
loper245 - 2011-02-13 1:38 PM
that is very good information. I will talk it over with the wife tonight. My problem is usually with dinner. I always used to way-overeat. (side-note, I once thought about being a competitive eater as I can sit and eat a 4 pound steak with sides) My wife loves to make very large extravagant dinners. I would rather make a large chicken caesar salad and call it good, but she insists. I like the idea of planning the meal the day before and then balancing the breakfast and lunch to the dinner.

I am still addicted to pop and my 2011 goal is to rid my diet of pop. I used to be a 5 mountain dew per day guy in college (yes, that is 5 Mt. Dews), and now I am a 1 to 2 pop guy per day. I have tried and tried to cut it from diet, but I know there is an addiction there. I hate coffee, so that is out. And my work has an ice machine, but it never has ice... kinda counter-intuitive. I finally got myself used to regular tea, as I used to only drink sweet tea. Your snacks of fruit and the piece of fruit before dinner is great advice. Thank you for that.

On a side note, I went running yesterday and hit 5 miles! I was pretty stoked. The whole run felt good. I am sore today, but hitting 5 miles again boosts my confidence that I can make the half marathon on May 1. Today is rest day and tomorrow will be a long swim day.

Doug

Getting my wife on board was a big step for me. She wanted to lose some weight too, so doing the program together helped. She's lost 10 pounds so far but wants to lose more. I'm going into a maintenance mode (probably boosting the protein and carbs) while she's still in weight-loss mode. I can't really explain how or when I ditched the pop. Just sort of happened one day. I was a big Mt. Dew person too, and Dr. Pepper. Then one day just stopped cold turkey. Very strange.

You still have a good amount of time to build for your HM. As long as you stay healthy, you'll be fine.
2011-02-13 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3353201

MonkeyClaw - 2011-02-13 7:04 PM Getting my wife on board was a big step for me. She wanted to lose some weight too, so doing the program together helped. She's lost 10 pounds so far but wants to lose more. I'm going into a maintenance mode (probably boosting the protein and carbs) while she's still in weight-loss mode. I can't really explain how or when I ditched the pop. Just sort of happened one day. I was a big Mt. Dew person too, and Dr. Pepper. Then one day just stopped cold turkey. Very strange.

You still have a good amount of time to build for your HM. As long as you stay healthy, you'll be fine.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Finally got around to updating my signature. This site is becoming an addiction.
2011-02-13 7:29 PM
in reply to: #3353179

Dixbry - 2011-02-13 6:48 PM
Got a good ride in today. The weather was 50 something out.  I thought I would treat it as a good recovery ride, take it easy on the legs, and not worry about the pace at all.  Well, it was super windy, still did not worry about pace, but it ended up being more work than recovery due to the wind.  Oh well, got of the bike and the legs felt much better.  They are stiff and a little sore today.  
Shortly after the bike, did about an hour of the p90x yoga.  Stretching and holding the poses felt awesome on the legs.  Rounded it out with my hubby using the stick on the quads and hamstrings.  

Long swim in the morning, followed by a 6 mile easy run.  What does everyone else have on their training agenda for their Monday?

I am a closet p90x yoga fan, just dont tell my guy friends... lol

Monday will be a long swim. My legs will still be sore, so a dip in the hottub afterward will feel very nice.
2011-02-13 8:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Dixie - Congrats - nice pace, it is so nice to see hard work pay off!
James and Tim - Wow - full Mary's! I'm impressed right there. Period.

I finished week 1 of Hal Higdon's Novice Half Marathon training today and I'm feeling confident and strong Though, looking back I did not ride my bike and only did one Strength day :/  However, I did make Valentine's Day very special for the Coller household Here's to an even better week next week

Edited by gcoller 2011-02-13 8:59 PM

2011-02-13 10:57 PM

User image

Sunderland
You guys are amazing.  Congratulations Dixbry, MonkeyClaw, and microspawn on your races.

MonkeyClaw - That race would have scared the <expletive_deleted> out of me.  Hills are my nemesis and it doesn't look like there any flat sections on that course.  I can handle a hill here and there as long as there is a flat or slightly downhill section that I can use to recover.

Last week was pretty much a bust training wise.  I was in the eastern part of the state for training (work not triathlon).  I got a couple short runs in on a treadmill at the hotel but for the most part, I just watched tv and slept.  I got home on Friday and did my normal 3 mile loop.  Saturday I went for my longest run yet... 6 miles, 1:03.  My brother and I did a loop around Grace's neck of the woods.  It felt awesome to run that far and to run for an hour.  My 10K is coming up in two weeks and this run solidified the idea that I can go the distance.  Saturday's loop had two steep hills in the middle and the 10K I'm doing is supposed to be flat.  I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm preparing myself for a really busy week at work and school.  Ugh.  I should have no trouble keeping up with my running and I'm hoping to get in the pool on Thursday and Friday.  Yeah, so, nothing too exciting going on over here.  Building a base and waiting for the snow to melt.

Cheers. 
2011-02-14 7:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Happy Valentine's Day!
2011-02-14 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3353627

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
No races yet for me, but had another solid weekend of training.  Saturday I ran 6.2 miles, but it took me a ridiculous 1 hr 15 min.  The only explanation for going so slow was attempting to keep my heart rate down, despite two 65 pound dogs pulling my arm, a long steep hill at mile 2.5, then a super stiff wind for the final 3 miles.  I really hope it was just a bad day, cause thats about 20 minutes slower than I'm hoping to run my 10 k portion of the olympic on may 21st. 

Yesterday I did a 32 mile ride with a 1 mile run after(just getting the legs used to running after riding again).  Very hilly(western NC mtns), but it was a fun, beautiful ride. 

This morning i did a 2050 yard swim, in 88 degree bath water(otherwise known as a pool).  Apparently there was a screw up with the thermostats, so that was a brutally difficult swim.  Was so happy when that was over with. 
Tonight I have to get on the trainer for an hour     How long till daylight savings?
2011-02-14 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3354078

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Whew.  I'm tired after reading about all the training you guys did!

Dixbry - Agreed with David.  You are fast!

MonkeyClaw - That looks like a brutally tough course, but I imagine it was beautiful!  Congrats on a solid race.

MicroSpawn - Honestly, I love that you went all-in.  Even if you come up short, there is no chance for "what-ifs."  It takes a lot of guts to do that, so I'm glad you aren't down about the race.  Take the time to let your body recover and you'll be back at it cracking 3 in no time.

As for me, I didn't train at ALL this weekend.  Unfortunately, I woke up on Friday congested with a sore throat.  I had been feeling like i was on the verge of getting sick since last Saturday, but I thought I could train through it.  I was wrong, so I hit the pause button on training in hopes of getting back to 100%.  I think I'm at about 90% now, so I'll likely go running this evening (easy).  Tough to take this time off right before my first race, but better to get healthy than drag this out.

Drew

2011-02-14 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
We have about 100 boxes of Girl Scout Cookies in our house right now (both my daughters are scouts).  Ugh, they are calling to me!  I hope we sell them SOON! Sealed

It's supposed to rain here all week, how many of you run in the rain vs. just hitting up a treadmill?

2011-02-14 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3354392

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
If it is not storming really bad, then I run in any weather.  I actually enjoy running in the rain.  I do not mess with lightning.  
2011-02-14 1:19 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
CONGRATS to all the racers this weekend.  I am so motivated to see such STUDS in our group.  I think that Ben and I are by far the Newbies and I don't know about him, but I really admire everybodys efforts.  I hope that I will be rocking as hard as you guys!  

SO I have a bit of good news. I have only gotten up to 500 yds on the swim and our Masters group here in the Springs is INSANE.  I have been looking for lessons or a coach,and Boom, I found one, and I actually know this lady.  She is an acquaintance and has been for a while and I had no idea that she was on the nationals team and is super stud.  She is USA tri coach and  I will be joining her swimming group and she is going to coach me and help with my training program,since my free membership here just gives times for each event.  I am super pumped and will be swimming tonight with the group for first time, a little anxious to be the new guy(aka the slow one) but excited to keep moving forward.  I am looking for another 5k to run the weekend after next to keep up my enthusiasm and you guys are all a great help.

I will let everyone know how it goes at the swim later tonight.   Oh, and I still havent been able to use the bike and new shoes, but really looking forward to not having to ride the stationary bike!  Trainer should be here in a couple days! Tongue out
2011-02-14 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran
I LOVE running in the rain, sleet...oh, it's just the best ! Also, re: Bledsoe, I've been the "slow one" in my track practice for awhile - but I get to see the form of the "fast" guys enough that I've improved a lot

I just found out that my gall bladder is functioning at 11%. That's bad. It's supposed to be >35% That means it will probably come out. I asked if I could have it out after tri season (AKA never LOL) and the doc said that's possible. I'm feeling a lot of things today. The recovery is two weeks after surgery if all goes well and that does NOT fit into my Hal Higdon plan Cry
2011-02-14 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3354565

gcoller - 2011-02-14 1:44 PM I LOVE running in the rain, sleet...oh, it's just the best ! Also, re: Bledsoe, I've been the "slow one" in my track practice for awhile - but I get to see the form of the "fast" guys enough that I've improved a lot

I just found out that my gall bladder is functioning at 11%. That's bad. It's supposed to be >35% That means it will probably come out. I asked if I could have it out after tri season (AKA never LOL) and the doc said that's possible. I'm feeling a lot of things today. The recovery is two weeks after surgery if all goes well and that does NOT fit into my Hal Higdon plan Cry

Grace (I think, please correct me if I am wrong) That sucks, but I love that you asked for it to be taken out AFTER tri season... that is awesome.

-Doug
2011-02-14 2:01 PM

What do you guys and gals think about unfueled runs? I need to drop weight, and I am a sprinter when it comes to weight loss. I read about the possiblity of a low-cal High water intake and paying particular close attention to running and exercising in the morning before eating. It would obviously be for a short time, but I need to lose about 10 more pounds to hit my goal that I set at the beginning of October. Weight maintenance is not hard for me once I hit my goal.

My main question is by doing something like that, will it increase my chance of injury? But if I lowered my calorie intake by 500-1000 calories per day, will that hurt me in the long run?

2011-02-14 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3354392

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
norcal_SAHD - 2011-02-14 1:43 PM We have about 100 boxes of Girl Scout Cookies in our house right now (both my daughters are scouts).  Ugh, they are calling to me!  I hope we sell them SOON! Sealed

It's supposed to rain here all week, how many of you run in the rain vs. just hitting up a treadmill?

Depends on the temperature.  If its warm the rain doesn't bother me at all. Cold...absolutely not. That's just miserable.  good luck avoiding the girl scout cookies, that would kill me.
2011-02-15 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3354565

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
gcoller - 2011-02-14 12:44 PM I LOVE running in the rain, sleet...oh, it's just the best ! Also, re: Bledsoe, I've been the "slow one" in my track practice for awhile - but I get to see the form of the "fast" guys enough that I've improved a lot

Yuck! that does suck...good thing it isn't something that has to be done immediately-I'm sure the sooner the better for your overall health, but at least it's something that you have a little bit of a choice as to when you have the surgery. I HATE HOSPITALS !!
2011-02-15 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3354497

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
bledsoepatriot - 2011-02-14 12:19 PM

I will let everyone know how it goes at the swim later tonight.   Oh, and I still havent been able to use the bike and new shoes, but really looking forward to not having to ride the stationary bike!  Trainer should be here in a couple days! Tongue out

So, how did the swim go??
2011-02-15 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3354609

User image

Extreme Veteran
loper245 - 2011-02-14 2:01 PM

What do you guys and gals think about unfueled runs? I need to drop weight, and I am a sprinter when it comes to weight loss.

I often don't eat anything in the morning if the session is less than 90 minutes and the intensity is moderate. Many people swear they lose more wieght that way but I don't know.

I just do it because I don't want to eat anything big and then go for a run.

My race report: I burst into flames -

http://www.powermultisport.com/2011/02/2011-mardi-gras-marathon-rac...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24