BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-05-02 4:39 PM
in reply to: #3477360

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!

kenj - 2011-05-02 9:40 AM Thanks for the nice comments on my race yesterday gang! 

Just a swim for me today!  Anyone else training?

Went for a run this morning in glorious weather. It was overcast and low-mid 60s which we never get here this time of year. The cool front was supposed to bring rain but no such luck. Going to try to swim tonight.

My husband is out of town all week which can make evening training a bit more tricky so I need to work a little harder to get everything done this week.

Question about shoes on pedals... don't they shoes get in the way on the back side? I get that you use rubberbands on your way out but what about on your way back? My shoes would totally get in the way. Having volunteered in my share of transitions I see this a lot and the shoes end up popping off the pedals and the guy has to run back (bike in hand) and pick up the shoe. I wonder if this is a way to avoid this.

2011-05-03 12:06 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Great Job Ken!

Vivian, I am happy for you! A new bike is always exciting. Are you using mountain bike shoes/cleatspeddles or road bike peddles? 

I am trying to get my new peddles (Speedplay) and cleats dialed it but it has been tough. I have been to the bike fitter twice and am going to have to go again as my knee acts up everytime I ride. This has happened before but we finally got it figured out with my old set up.

We made an offer on a house today and it looks like we might be under contract tomorrow. This is one of the reason's I have been away a bit. 

I am meeting with my coach tomorrow evening to do a "run session"  Basically he is going to try and help me with my running. I have to say I am a bit nervous about this. It is silly but I can't help it.  I think I am going to be a bit embarrased (self conscious). 

The place where I do my OWS opened yesterday. Some crazy people actually went it the water. Some without wetsuits. I think the water temps were in the low to mid 50s and the air temp was 36 degrees.  I would never have survived that. I can't breath when the temps get that low. 

I hope everyone is doing well.

2011-05-03 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3478377

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
KeriKadi - 2011-05-02 5:39 PM

kenj - 2011-05-02 9:40 AM Thanks for the nice comments on my race yesterday gang! 

Went for a run this morning in glorious weather. It was overcast and low-mid 60s which we never get here this time of year. The cool front was supposed to bring rain but no such luck. Going to try to swim tonight.

My husband is out of town all week which can make evening training a bit more tricky so I need to work a little harder to get everything done this week.

Question about shoes on pedals... don't they shoes get in the way on the back side? I get that you use rubberbands on your way out but what about on your way back? My shoes would totally get in the way. Having volunteered in my share of transitions I see this a lot and the shoes end up popping off the pedals and the guy has to run back (bike in hand) and pick up the shoe. I wonder if this is a way to avoid this.

Hum, I've never had a shoe pop off. This is one reason to practice to make sure this doesn't happen during a race. My shoes just end up in the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position. It could be how I have the cleats adjusted (speedplay zero’s) the shoes don’t drag on the ground when in the 3/9 a clock position. After I push the bike for a couple feet they seem to fall in the correct position.

Edited by acv 2011-05-03 9:43 AM
2011-05-03 7:57 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Last night on TV I came across a triathlon, I beleive it was the Collegiate championships.  It appears that they just let them flop and either have the clips tighter or are just lucky that they don't fall out. 

Watching pro's and elites go transition, regardless of the length is enlightening and educational.  They barely stop moving at all and the key to this is how simple and organized they are.  I am sure that they practice transitions a lot as well. 
2011-05-03 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3479008

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2011-05-03 1:06 AM

Great Job Ken!

Vivian, I am happy for you! A new bike is always exciting. Are you using mountain bike shoes/cleatspeddles or road bike peddles? 

I am trying to get my new peddles (Speedplay) and cleats dialed it but it has been tough. I have been to the bike fitter twice and am going to have to go again as my knee acts up everytime I ride. This has happened before but we finally got it figured out with my old set up.

We made an offer on a house today and it looks like we might be under contract tomorrow. This is one of the reason's I have been away a bit. 

I am meeting with my coach tomorrow evening to do a "run session"  Basically he is going to try and help me with my running. I have to say I am a bit nervous about this. It is silly but I can't help it.  I think I am going to be a bit embarrased (self conscious). 

The place where I do my OWS opened yesterday. Some crazy people actually went it the water. Some without wetsuits. I think the water temps were in the low to mid 50s and the air temp was 36 degrees.  I would never have survived that. I can't breath when the temps get that low. 

I hope everyone is doing well.

Good luck with the new house Kathleen!

Relax with your coach, he can only help if he sees what is really going on!  That is part of what you pay him for.  Let us know the feed back you get from him, maybe others here can benefit from his advice as well.

Edited by kenj 2011-05-03 8:05 AM
2011-05-03 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
My LBS starts their group rides tonight.  At 6pm it will be 39 degrees and 100% chance of rain.  Par for the course this winter/spring.  I will not be joining them but instead doing a short trainer ride if I have time.  Mother nature sure has had it out for us this year in my neck of the woods.

2011-05-03 8:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I rarely do group rides any more.  They talk more than they ride. Unless it's a long Sunday ride.  I may leave with them and then break off on my own when they turn back for home.

Good pool workout with Masters today.  Best times yet.  1:46 100s several times and a 7:52 warmup with is the best ever.  RPE was lowest ever at the same time.  Stroke efficiency drills rock.

2011-05-03 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3479278

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2011-05-03 9:10 AM My LBS starts their group rides tonight.  At 6pm it will be 39 degrees and 100% chance of rain.  Par for the course this winter/spring.  I will not be joining them but instead doing a short trainer ride if I have time.  Mother nature sure has had it out for us this year in my neck of the woods.

I think mother nature has lost her calender.

Its nice that your shop has group rides, I miss the rides with the shop out in CA I rode with when I am out there.  On the rare occurance that their rides would get rained out, we would just through the trainers in the car and do a group trainer ride.  One of the shop employees is a certified spin instructor so she would lead the ride.  Not as nice as outside, but better than the trainer alone!
2011-05-03 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3479313

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-05-03 9:20 AM

I rarely do group rides any more.  They talk more than they ride. Unless it's a long Sunday ride.  I may leave with them and then break off on my own when they turn back for home.

Good pool workout with Masters today.  Best times yet.  1:46 100s several times and a 7:52 warmup with is the best ever.  RPE was lowest ever at the same time.  Stroke efficiency drills rock.

Great work in the pool Ice!!
2011-05-03 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3479008

User image

Pro
Houston
Kath2163 - 2011-05-03 12:06 AM

I understand how you feel. I've known my coach for a couple of years and he had been coaching me for a few months when I met with him to work on my run form. He had me run the way I usually run and video taped me and we were able to look at it on his lap top and he was able to take some stills. He then had me make some modifications to my form and took video/stills again and it made a HUGE difference. I am not super fast but definitely faster than I was before! Cardio shape is still an issue but I find it easier for my body to go faster even if I can't hold it as long as I would like.

Maybe the guys I saw lose their shoes in T2 had them at the top/bottom of the crank rather than 3 and 9, makes sense. I have a sprint coming up, maybe I will start practicing this. The bike portion is only 10 miles so every second counts.

This past Sunday I enjoyed my first non-wetsuit OWS of the season. Not a fan of wearing the wetsuit so this made me a happy girl. The water was chilly at first but felt great. A very good friend is doing her first Tri this Sunday and I was encouraging her to get in the open water. She was very glad she got in!

2011-05-03 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3479422

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
KeriKadi - 2011-05-03 9:58 AM
Kath2163 - 2011-05-03 12:06 AM

I understand how you feel. I've known my coach for a couple of years and he had been coaching me for a few months when I met with him to work on my run form. He had me run the way I usually run and video taped me and we were able to look at it on his lap top and he was able to take some stills. He then had me make some modifications to my form and took video/stills again and it made a HUGE difference. I am not super fast but definitely faster than I was before! Cardio shape is still an issue but I find it easier for my body to go faster even if I can't hold it as long as I would like.

Maybe the guys I saw lose their shoes in T2 had them at the top/bottom of the crank rather than 3 and 9, makes sense. I have a sprint coming up, maybe I will start practicing this. The bike portion is only 10 miles so every second counts.

This past Sunday I enjoyed my first non-wetsuit OWS of the season. Not a fan of wearing the wetsuit so this made me a happy girl. The water was chilly at first but felt great. A very good friend is doing her first Tri this Sunday and I was encouraging her to get in the open water. She was very glad she got in!

Good advice on practicing OWS before race day!  Especially if it is a wetsuit race, but OWS in general is a different swim for most of us.  I personally like the wetsuit as my tendancy is to drag my hips and the floatation of the suit hides this defect in my swim form! 

2011-05-03 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Kathleen too cool that you are going to get to meet up with your coach for run advice! I hope he can figure something out for you. Have you met with the nutritionist yet?

Keri I totally agree about getting in the open water. I think it is one of the most important things you can do before your first tri.

I don't think I'll try the shoe thing anytime in the near futre...I'm just not confidant enough in my abilities to get my shoes on/off with out killing myself and everyone around me.

I keep thinking of joining in my LBS's group rides...but again, not very confidant. They say the do a 12 mile average no drop and I could do that even with some climbing so one of these days I'm going to just suck it up and give it a try.

Ok my question of the day....Hill repeats...I did them this morning on my run...kind of sucked I did however decide to start out on a hill that wasn't to steep. It was a little more then a gradual grade but it wasn't that bad, it's a hill that I run pretty often, sometimes with walk breaks, but never before 4 times in a row. What kind of hills do you generally use for these?
2011-05-03 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3480068

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

julta - 2011-05-03 1:21 PM Kathleen too cool that you are going to get to meet up with your coach for run advice! I hope he can figure something out for you. Have you met with the nutritionist yet? Keri I totally agree about getting in the open water. I think it is one of the most important things you can do before your first tri. I don't think I'll try the shoe thing anytime in the near futre...I'm just not confidant enough in my abilities to get my shoes on/off with out killing myself and everyone around me. I keep thinking of joining in my LBS's group rides...but again, not very confidant. They say the do a 12 mile average no drop and I could do that even with some climbing so one of these days I'm going to just suck it up and give it a try. Ok my question of the day....Hill repeats...I did them this morning on my run...kind of sucked I did however decide to start out on a hill that wasn't to steep. It was a little more then a gradual grade but it wasn't that bad, it's a hill that I run pretty often, sometimes with walk breaks, but never before 4 times in a row. What kind of hills do you generally use for these?

They have me running some fairly steep hills through a residential area in a figure 8 that is about one mile for the loop.  We did 7 two weeks ago.  I plan to start those again after Saturday's 12K race.

2011-05-03 4:17 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
julta - 2011-05-03 2:21 PM Kathleen too cool that you are going to get to meet up with your coach for run advice! I hope he can figure something out for you. Have you met with the nutritionist yet? Keri I totally agree about getting in the open water. I think it is one of the most important things you can do before your first tri. I don't think I'll try the shoe thing anytime in the near futre...I'm just not confidant enough in my abilities to get my shoes on/off with out killing myself and everyone around me. I keep thinking of joining in my LBS's group rides...but again, not very confidant. They say the do a 12 mile average no drop and I could do that even with some climbing so one of these days I'm going to just suck it up and give it a try. Ok my question of the day....Hill repeats...I did them this morning on my run...kind of sucked I did however decide to start out on a hill that wasn't to steep. It was a little more then a gradual grade but it wasn't that bad, it's a hill that I run pretty often, sometimes with walk breaks, but never before 4 times in a row. What kind of hills do you generally use for these?

One side benefit of the group rides is finding new routes and riding friends.  The group I rode with was very accomodating to most skill levels to a certain degree.  They did have an intermediate group that rode ~ 40 miles and a beginner group that would ride ~ 20 and stay out of the really big hills. 

Ice is right about the groups and the social aspect though.  The final weeks of IM training I would either ride on my own or wind up riding off if the group got to slow.  Sometimes a smaller group would be fairly aggressive and I could stick with them and just add on for the additional miles.

As far as hill repeats, you can do shorter steeper hills or longer less steep hills and probably the best plan is to do a little of both, maybe one week longer then shorter the following week.  The big key again is to start off slowly and with 2 or 3 repeats and build over time up tp maybe 10 to 12 of the shorter hills or 8 of the longer hills.  Manage the recovery based on the distance of the hill.  If the hill takes 2 minutes to climb, recover for 2 minutes.  Also, if you know the course of an upcoming race, try to pick some hills that mimic what you will see in the race.

My HIM this summer has a couple of hills.  The first one is short, and you can take the stairs that run next to it or climb up through the grass.  Maybe 50 yards or so long.  The second hill isn't nearly as steep, maybe 5% grade, but it is close to if not over half a mile.  So I will be mixing it up the next couple of months with a variety of hill time fun!
2011-05-03 6:30 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
julta - 2011-05-03 3:21 PMOk my question of the day....Hill repeats...I did them this morning on my run...kind of sucked I did however decide to start out on a hill that wasn't to steep. It was a little more then a gradual grade but it wasn't that bad, it's a hill that I run pretty often, sometimes with walk breaks, but never before 4 times in a row. What kind of hills do you generally use for these?
Our version of hill training is usually a moderate grade hill, about 400-500m long (1/3 mile). Try to run without stopping, the easy jog, back down. The descent is recovery. Then back up. In half Mary training, we would do once weekly & start with 3 hills & progress weekly by a repeat & peak at 9. Always do a warmup & sometimes the 1st hill would be easy effort. Hill training is hard & you can't carry on conversation during the repeat. The following day would definitely be a easy day. That's my version...

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-05-03 6:31 PM
2011-05-03 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3477530

User image

Veteran
Georgia
acv - 2011-05-02 11:36 AM

I was reading Vivian’s post about un-clipping her shoes on her new bike and I thought I’d pass on a little tip that I practice every bike ride.

I’m not the fastest tri-athlete but I do usually nail my transitions. Now that it’s a little warmer out and if the driveway is dry I practice my transitions on to and off of the bike every ride.

In transition I leave my bike shoes clipped on my bike. This works really well for sprints where time is so critical. In T1 I take my wetsuit off as quickly as possibly grab my bike and run to the mount line. I then ride for a ¼ mile w/ my feet on top of the shoes. I then reach down and insert my feet into the shoe and close the Velcro strap. I use shimano tri shoes they have one big velcro strap and it works really well for this technique. To keep the pedals from flopping around I secure them with rubber bands, the band just breaks free on my first downward peddle stroke.

Coming off the bike I do it in reverse. I take my feet out of the shoe and ride on top of the shoe for the last 1/8th of a mile. It’s much easier for me to run barefoot then to run with my bike shoes on during transition. It’s really not that hard and can save a lot of time.

This saves great time..Some getting used to but I did this every race last year in my first season and  I had great t1 and t2 times..

2011-05-03 8:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

I had one shoe pop off after dismounting last year.. I left the shoe behind like it never happen finished the race then a volunteer had put it to the side..
2011-05-03 9:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Thanks for all the hill imput. I think I started off pretty good, and really like the idea of mixing up with some steeper hills...we've got all of them here.
2011-05-04 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Got back from CA last night. HM went even better than I could of hoped! Going from 7200 feet to sea level made a HUGE difference. I don't think my HR ever went below 150 and at the last 1/2 mile it was over 170, but couldn't even tell. My goal was to run it under 2'30" and I did it in 2'18"!!!! I will get a RR up as soon as I can get some time. Course was beautiful and weather was gorgeous!

On my way home, I stopped at the LRS and bought a wetsuit.  Planned on just trying some on and then ordering online, but the owner was there and he offered me a sweet deal on a barely used one. Yeah!

Not official yet, but it looks like we will be moving to AK. So, I will be very, very busy in the next couple of months getting the house on the market. I am sure my training will suffer, but will try my best to at least keep my gains.

2011-05-04 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3481452

User image

Regular
Maryland
robingray_260 - 2011-05-04 9:29 AM

Got back from CA last night. HM went even better than I could of hoped! Going from 7200 feet to sea level made a HUGE difference. I don't think my HR ever went below 150 and at the last 1/2 mile it was over 170, but couldn't even tell. My goal was to run it under 2'30" and I did it in 2'18"!!!! I will get a RR up as soon as I can get some time. Course was beautiful and weather was gorgeous!

On my way home, I stopped at the LRS and bought a wetsuit.  Planned on just trying some on and then ordering online, but the owner was there and he offered me a sweet deal on a barely used one. Yeah!

Not official yet, but it looks like we will be moving to AK. So, I will be very, very busy in the next couple of months getting the house on the market. I am sure my training will suffer, but will try my best to at least keep my gains.

Robin, way to go on the HM!  That's awesome that you met your goal and then some.  Hope all goes well with the move.

2011-05-04 9:48 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-05-04 10:29 AM

Congratulations on smashing your goal time! That is a huge over that distance!  I look forward to reading your race report!

Good luck with the move!  Hopefully it goes as smoothly as possible! 

2011-05-04 9:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Excellent.

2011-05-04 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
robingray_260 - 2011-05-04 10:29 AM

WOW great job!

2011-05-04 11:27 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

Great job at the HM Robin! That is AWESOME!!!

Good luck with everything else. Getting and having a house on the market can be exhausting, I hope all goes well.

2011-05-04 11:36 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

QOTD: What injuries have you had in your training and how have you dealt with them?

My first injury when I started running in February 2009 was an ITBand injury in my left leg. I did stretching, foam roller, ice and rest and it got better. In December 2009 it came back with a vengence while HM training. Sat out the HM, took time off and nothing worked. February 2010 I found a chiropractor certified in ART = Active Release Techniques. At the time I could not run 2 miles without a lot of pain. After 2 sessions I was pain free, built up my run and have not dealt with it again.

In the fall of 2011 while training for my first HIM distance I started experiencing heel pain in my left foot. Was seeing my ART guy but when we realized it wasn't getting better I went for an MRI. September 4 I was put in a boot with crutches, I had a stress fracture of my cancaneus. My HIM was November 7. I continued to bike and swim and added aqua jogging. I did not run in the weeks leading to my HIM. We knew the run on race day would be tough and it was but my heel didn't bother me at all, just my lack of run fitness, it was a LONG 8 hour day! My heel aches every once in a while when it is cold but has heeled.

Right now I am battling some shin splint issues. It started with my right leg and when I see my ART guy it gets better but I haven't been since my Oly. Now it is affecting both shins. I have new shoes and have not changed running surface so it may be the way I am running. I need to get through the sprint I have on the 15th and then work at making this better.

Edited by KeriKadi 2011-05-04 11:36 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72