BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-06-29 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3435962

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED

I took 2 days off after my race but put in a decent ride tonight. This weekend will probably be a busy weekend but I hope to squeeze in at least 2 work outs for 2 of the days. The weekend after that I am part of a relay and will be doing the bike portion.

My bike is frustrating me, its shifting like a dump truck, I have a bad bearing in the bottom bracket and I think I am going to change out the rear cassette to something a little more friendly for my HIM. I wish I could just buy a new bike.  HIM is just over 2 months away!

2011-06-29 10:23 PM
in reply to: #3573952

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL
cwpeters - 2011-06-29 9:31 PM

Hi, my name is Chris and I am a bad group member.  I have not been faithful in keeping up with and contributing to the conversation.  If you will accept my apologies and allow me back into the group I promise to be a better BTer.

I forgive you - as long as you have been getting your workouts in! 

2011-06-29 10:27 PM
in reply to: #3573587

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
rdietz - 2011-06-29 4:21 PM

BigDH - 2011-06-27 9:21 AM

Dave, regarding the sighting, that is a tricky skill to get. Did you have a pattern you followed, as in look up every 10 strokes or something. I find that looking up can cost a lot of time unless you practice it, you can actually get to the point where you can look up while barely getting your head out of the water (which seems to cost the most energy).

Dave - I think sighting just get's easier as you get more comfortable in the water and stronger in the water.  I sight almost every stroke as I can do it without really costing any energy.  I also have a fairly high body position in the water.  I don't recommend you doing the same yet.  I think when I first started doing open water swims, I would sight every 8 to 10 strokes. 

Ryan, that is awesome you did it without the Garmin, I can barely train, let alone race, without it.

I am actually really starting to enjoy racing without it!  I find that my pace is just as consistent, if not more so. 

I am going to work on a bit of a routine in the water. I sort of fell into a 4 stoke (left and right) breathe then 2 stroke breathe pattern. If I went 4 strokes consistently I didnt seem to get enough air. I pull to the left in my swimming so I need to work on that too.

2011-06-30 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3574005

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

Dave - do you always breathe to the same side or do you alternate?  Sometimes, swimmers who always breathe to the same side will pull to that side.  Definitely a good call to breathe every two strokes though.  Breathing every 4 will not get you enough air. 

As far as alternating breathing, some swimmers will breathe every 3 strokes to even out their stroke.  Even that though, for some people, is depriving yourself of enough oxygen.  One option would be to breathe every 2 for a few stroke cycles, then one cycle at 3 strokes to switch sides, and then back to every 2 for a few cycles, and on and on.  Give it a try in the pool.  Close your eyes for one length of the pool every once in a while and see if you can keep from bouncing off of the lane lines. 

2011-06-30 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3573998

User image

Champion
Calgary
rdietz - 2011-06-29 9:23 PM

Hi, my name is Chris and I am a bad group member.  I have not been faithful in keeping up with and contributing to the conversation.  If you will accept my apologies and allow me back into the group I promise to be a better BTer.

x2, how are you feeling about that race in 2 weeks?
2011-06-30 9:55 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Gawd, I haven't been in the pool for almost 2 years. Diligent practice taught me how to be a bilateral breather. Think that is the only way to get there for a lot of people. Everything felt better once I figured that out though.

2011-06-30 1:39 PM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

I mostly breath on one side but I have been working a little each swim at bi-lateral breathing.  It's coming around slowly but I still need some work.  I figure I should be able to breath from either side if I need to but getting things working right is taking a little time.

I'm hoping to have some good longer workouts this weekend.

Welcome back CW.

2011-06-30 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3575275

User image

Veteran
Southern Saratoga County, NY
nick_318is - 2011-06-30 2:39 PM

I mostly breath on one side but I have been working a little each swim at bi-lateral breathing.  It's coming around slowly but I still need some work.  I figure I should be able to breath from either side if I need to but getting things working right is taking a little time.

I'm hoping to have some good longer workouts this weekend.

Welcome back CW.

I have been re-learning 3 stroke alternate side breathing.  I had it down, and was working on total immersion style swimming, when I got into a Tri group.  The coach had me go back to dominant side breathing, and I've been doing that for the last 2 years.  Now, going back to 3 breaths alternate side.

2011-07-01 6:56 AM
in reply to: #3575333

Hello!!!!

I am back from my holiday, not done much training other than swimming.  However the pool wasnt that big!!  Feel alot more comfortable in the water though, I was practising breathing at a virtual standstill, just rolling side to side.  I was able to remain flat in the water too!!

I will be startig to train again, but will do a week easy ish then get into heavier than I was before I went.

I want to look for a triathlon to race in, in mid august.

Well done to everyone in their races looks like went well.

Cheers

2011-07-01 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3574670

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
BigDH - 2011-06-30 10:52 AM
rdietz - 2011-06-29 9:23 PM

x2, how are you feeling about that race in 2 weeks?

I was able to do a little training on my trip but not as much as I would have liked.  I just couldn't see taking a hour or two from visiting family and friends that we haven't seen in years and drove thousands of miles to see.  As far as my upcoming race, I know I can finish, I'm just not sure how well I'll do.  Last year I won the Under 39 Clydes division. I was hoping for a repeat so there is some motivation to get going again.

2011-07-04 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Saratoga County, NY

Happy 4th of July - U.S. members!

I decided last minute to run a 4 mile race today - what a blast!! Not sure where I came in my age group, but I couldn't have been last (again!).

It was a PR - since I had never run a 4 miler before

2011-07-04 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3579769

User image

Champion
Calgary
benjaminjacobso - 2011-07-04 8:54 AM

Happy 4th of July - U.S. members!

I decided last minute to run a 4 mile race today - what a blast!! Not sure where I came in my age group, but I couldn't have been last (again!).

It was a PR - since I had never run a 4 miler before

sounds like fun.
2011-07-05 6:17 PM

User image

Regular

I'm back!  I was gone off to Winnipeg and Chatham (Ontario) for a few weeks.

I managed to overtrain on the run (trying to make up for missing the bike) midway through and had to take a bit of time off.  I did manage to get a couple open water swims in though, which was great.

Anyways, now I need to get back on course.  I have another tri in less then two weeks!  ACK!  It's a sprint distance though, which I know I'm capable of finishing.  I'm not planning to taper for this one.  I'm doing it mainly to get an open water one in before my Oly in September.

Logs are totally out of date.  I didn't train as much as I wanted to, but I did train!  My computer access was really low while travelling though.

2011-07-05 8:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

hey Deb if there is a running room in your area stop in and see if they have any triathlon log books still. They were clearing them out for $1.I love the online logs but I still think there is permanence and portability in paper.

Put in a quick bike work out after really slacking it for a while. Really hammered it despite not feeling 100% healthy myself. Family health issues have lead to a stressful past few weeks and motivation has approached zero. I HAVE to get back on track if I plan to do the 70.3. taking part in a sprint relay this Sunday

2011-07-06 11:48 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Alright, I'm starting to get back into a regular workout schedule.  Several good runs this week, capped off by a negative split 5K tonight.  Still not at the same level (speed) as last year, but better than I expected after the time off.  Took part in a 46 mile group ride on the 4th that was very relaxed (16 mph average) but nice to be able to chat with some of the guys from our regular Saturday group.  Also had my longest swim in quite sometime, 2550 yards.  That equaled half of my June total on the 1st day of July.  The TI drills are really helping.  I get my bike back tomorrow, tune up and new chain, and plan on getting in a 25-30 mile ride plus a morning swim.  Hope everyone else is having as much fun and success.
2011-07-07 11:26 AM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

Welcome back Deb!

I've had a decent week so far, I have to move some of my workouts around to make room for some plans this weekend, but I have a good plan so I won't skip any workouts and still allow for enough time to make my other plans.  Actually life will be like this the next 3 weekends so that kind of sucks but hopefully none of it will be too bad and I think I have a good plan.

Got up and had a decent swim this morning, although getting out of bed to workout was tough.  I have to say I'm happy I went and did the workout though.

One more cool thing, I ordered a new helmet for the bike the other day and it should arrive today, looking forward to having a new brain bucket.

Edited by nick_318is 2011-07-07 11:56 AM

2011-07-07 8:55 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
whoa, not everyone post at once here.

Welcome back Deb. Glad everyone is taking a renewed focus. The weather here has been hot. Like 26-28C hot. HOT HOT HOT. I love it. I used to hate the heat as a kid and actually until maybe this year. Who knows. But I am out running in it, sweating buckets.

Trying to get in as much as I can before the baby is born because I know there won't be many long workouts for a bit after that.

Hey, anyone been to Maui and know a good place to stay in February?
2011-07-08 7:58 AM
in reply to: #3585759

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

Welcome back Deb! 

Darren - I've been to Maui but only once and we stayed in Wailea.  We had a great time. 

Right now, I'm in full blown taper mode for my olympic on Sunday.  I can't wait.  We are waiting to hear if it's going to be a wetsuit legal race.  I'm hoping it's not.  Also, just heard that there is a 100 yard section of road on the bike course that has just been ground down in advance of repaving, and it won't be repaved before the event.  So, it should be an adventurous ride over that 100 yards of grooved surface.  I'm considering getting off my bike and running across it so I don't need to worry about the possibility of a flat.  I'll probably drive the course on Saturday and check it out. 

Have a nice weekend everyone!

2011-07-08 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3586127

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
rdietz - 2011-07-08 7:58 AMSo, it should be an adventurous ride over that 100 yards of grooved surface.  I'm considering getting off my bike and running across it so I don't need to worry about the possibility of a flat.  I'll probably drive the course on Saturday and check it out. 

you can go conservative but I know that I would just blast through it. Be sure your legs and arms are loose, possibly rise about an inch or two out of the saddle. STAY RELAXED! try not to steer too much dont make sudden corrections.  What you do want to watch for is how they finished the end. Most grinders are round so there is a decent taper back to the good asphalt 99% will be like this. I have run in to ones where its a straight line where they have cut a section out and basically you are hitting a ridge straight on. This is where you could potentially get a pinch flat. Even if it is like this just lift the front of the bike then unweight the rear. No need for a massive bunny hop or anything just get your weight off the wheels as you cross the nasty bit. I bike some god awful roads and I dont slow down for nothin. I have had 2 flats this year but the last one was when I wasnt paying attention and hit a chunk of concrete at 40km/h. This also resulted in a broken spoke and a bent deraileur hanger.

Good luck in the OLY!

2011-07-08 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3585759

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

BigDH - 2011-07-07 8:55 PM whoa, not everyone post at once here. Welcome back Deb. Glad everyone is taking a renewed focus. The weather here has been hot. Like 26-28C hot. HOT HOT HOT. I love it. I used to hate the heat as a kid and actually until maybe this year. Who knows. But I am out running in it, sweating buckets. Trying to get in as much as I can before the baby is born because I know there won't be many long workouts for a bit after that. Hey, anyone been to Maui and know a good place to stay in February?

you know you have had a good work out when the salt in your eyes is stinging like crazy! Once baby is born things are going to be busy for sure but you can look forward to getting a jogging stroller / bike trailer after a while. If you are looking for a work out just try to maintain your current speed pushing/pulling an extra 50lbs.

2011-07-11 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Went out yesterday for my first 50 mile ride.  Didn't go with the group, just went out solo.  Really enjoyed it.  I didn't realize just how much you can sweat during a ride.  I took in about 120 ounces, about 7.5 pounds of fluids during the ride AND still managed to lose 5.2 pounds.  I also realized I have a lot of work to do before MiamiMan in November.

2011-07-11 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3590450

User image

Champion
Calgary
cwpeters - 2011-07-11 9:58 AM

Went out yesterday for my first 50 mile ride.  Didn't go with the group, just went out solo.  Really enjoyed it.  I didn't realize just how much you can sweat during a ride.  I took in about 120 ounces, about 7.5 pounds of fluids during the ride AND still managed to lose 5.2 pounds.  I also realized I have a lot of work to do before MiamiMan in November.

was it seriously hot out there?
2011-07-11 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3586127

User image

Champion
Calgary
rdietz - 2011-07-08 6:58 AM

Welcome back Deb! 

Darren - I've been to Maui but only once and we stayed in Wailea.  We had a great time. 

Right now, I'm in full blown taper mode for my olympic on Sunday.  I can't wait.  We are waiting to hear if it's going to be a wetsuit legal race.  I'm hoping it's not.  Also, just heard that there is a 100 yard section of road on the bike course that has just been ground down in advance of repaving, and it won't be repaved before the event.  So, it should be an adventurous ride over that 100 yards of grooved surface.  I'm considering getting off my bike and running across it so I don't need to worry about the possibility of a flat.  I'll probably drive the course on Saturday and check it out. 

how did it go?
2011-07-11 11:10 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Dave,

Read your race report. I HATE seaweed. I still am slightly scared of the open water. Just looking down into the abyss. And when my hand touches something....well I used to freak the f@ck out, like completely. Now I can at least stifle the urge to start flaying my arms and scream for help. Yuck.

How did your team do?
2011-07-11 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3590480

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL
BigDH - 2011-07-11 11:08 AM
rdietz - 2011-07-08 6:58 AM

Welcome back Deb! 

how did it go?

Race went very well!  I was very quick in the water.  Transitions were awesome.  The groovy pavement was no big deal.  And regarding seaweed - had some of that to deal with on the swim.  I can't stand seaweed either. 

It was crazy hot out.  I thought I was going to die on the run, but held it together supprisingly well. 

I'm very busy today - I hope to post a full report and my race report a little later. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21