1 - Recovery109 - 137 
2 - Extensive Endurance138 - 149 
3 - Intensive Endurance149 - 156 
4 - Sub-Threshold157 - 166 
5a - SuperThreshold167 - 170 
5b - Anaerobic Endurance172 - 176 
5c - Power177 - 183 

Comments about this HR Zone:

Hi Dangremond, Yeah, I know it was a little confused, but since I forgot to include the table I was talking about in the previous post, I decide to put it in a diferent one.

Sorry

But any way the thing is that this numbers come from my LT test that I did yesterday, in order to start training with heart rate base instead of RPE, wich I think it´ll be better, if I´m not wrong.

Thank You for the input

I think you can train by either (HR or RPE) - its up to you.  I train by a mix of the two.  There are a lot of good books and articles on HR training - Friel, Maffetoen and Carcmichael would all have training plans based on HR training.  Matt Fitzgerald has a book all based on RPE and Carmichael also uses it as well (but prefers power for the bike) Friel uses the HR breakdown as you show in your table.  You would break your season down into various periods (concept of periodization) and based on where you were in your season (base, building, peak, race) your workouts, based on HR would vary).  This is in the Triathletes Training Bible.

I think it is up to you completely if you use RPE or HR.  As I stated before, I like knowing my LT (assume from your table your (running?) LT is 167)?  I find it useful in longer harder efforts to know where my theoretical limit is.   It also allows me to build out my zone 1 and 2 that I know (but don't always respect) that I should do most of my runs in.  Just my brief thoughts.

In that case, I'll stick with the HR since that's what I'd been doing, in fact, right now I'm reading Friel's Training Bible, so I'll have more bibliography in hand to support this method and somehow I'm more acquainted with it.

Sometimes I feel I can go faster than my HR limit for that zone I guess that is RPE.

Thank You Dangremond

2011-05-21 10:30 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Regular
Mexico
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
Felicidades Ernesto impresionante!, bajaste y por mucho tu meta
2011-05-22 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3511883

El Paso
Amazing result Ernesto!!!! you really are a true mentor, you talk the talk and walk the walk, you are an inspiration to allBest regards

Edited by alfredo1414 2011-05-22 8:32 PM
2011-05-22 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Congratulations Ernesto!!!!..

I found myself refreshing the IM link constantly to get your run updates!  You are a true inspiration!  We are so proud to be part of this with you!!!  

2011-05-22 4:02 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Race report is up! Tongue out
2011-05-22 7:35 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Ernesto, 

Congratulations on an incredible performance, truly inspirational and what an awesome time and PR you achieved! Now enjoy the well deserved glory and we look forward to hearing more about it, felicidades!

On my side, I was able to complete my 1/2 marathon today in 1:52 which ties my January PR. I'm satisfied with the time since this one was a tough with non-stop hills, extreme heat/ humidity, and I gave it my best.   

Cheers,

Gabriel 

2011-05-22 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3512758

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Good job Gabriel.  I wilt in the heat, and by heat, I mean anything above 70 degrees F.  
2011-05-22 8:34 PM

El Paso
Congrats Gabriel!! Nice time result, so proud to be part of this group !!
2011-05-22 8:36 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-05-22 7:35 PM

Ernesto, 

Congratulations on an incredible performance, truly inspirational and what an awesome time and PR you achieved! Now enjoy the well deserved glory and we look forward to hearing more about it, felicidades!

On my side, I was able to complete my 1/2 marathon today in 1:52 which ties my January PR. I'm satisfied with the time since this one was a tough with non-stop hills, extreme heat/ humidity, and I gave it my best.   

Cheers,

Gabriel 

Congrats Gabe! that is an awesome time and mostly in a hilly and hot condition. You know, I was thinking the other day that with the kind of altitude you are training you are going to fly if you race at sea level. Ever thought of that?
2011-05-22 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3512860

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Congratulations on your race result Gabriel!
2011-05-22 9:33 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

@ Gabriel  That's awesome.  This is a rockin group and I am also proud to be a part of it!

@Chris  I bought my Vibram Bikilas today.  I'm tired of stepping on sand burs in my bare feet.  REI has a 100% satisfaction guarantee.  I can run in them for 3 or 4 months and take them back if I don't like them.  Can't lose on that deal.

@Barry  several people from Chicago were in IM Texas.  Everytime they announced Chicago, I thought about you Wink

@everyone  Here's a local article on IM Texas.  We watched these last guys come in, everyone a winner.   http://tinyurl.com/44tk7nv

@Ernesto  time to get back to mentoring

Tomorrow I'm going to decide whether to do Captex next Monday.  Tonight I am still exhausted from IM Texas.  Being a spectator is hard work. 

The sprint is Swim 820.21 yards   Bike 12.43 miles   Run 3.11 miles  

Here is a tentative plan with a few holes.  Can you please tweak it for me? Thanks.

Monday  OWS swim

Tuesday OWS swim

Wednesday  organized bike time trial (I can skip this for this week)

Thursday  long run with kick at end

Friday  easy spin bike with some speed bursts (how long?)

Saturday  after good WU  20 min (20” sprint, 40” recovery repeats?)

Sunday   off

Monday    race day

Edited by jdiis 2011-05-22 9:43 PM

2011-05-22 10:06 PM
in reply to: #3512922

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-05-22 9:33 PM

@ Gabriel  That's awesome.  This is a rockin group and I am also proud to be a part of it!

@Chris  I bought my Vibram Bikilas today.  I'm tired of stepping on sand burs in my bare feet.  REI has a 100% satisfaction guarantee.  I can run in them for 3 or 4 months and take them back if I don't like them.  Can't lose on that deal.

@Barry  several people from Chicago were in IM Texas.  Everytime they announced Chicago, I thought about you Wink

@everyone  Here's a local article on IM Texas.  We watched these last guys come in, everyone a winner.   http://tinyurl.com/44tk7nv

@Ernesto  time to get back to mentoring

Tomorrow I'm going to decide whether to do Captex next Monday.  Tonight I am still exhausted from IM Texas.  Being a spectator is hard work. 

The sprint is Swim 820.21 yards   Bike 12.43 miles   Run 3.11 miles  

Here is a tentative plan with a few holes.  Can you please tweak it for me? Thanks.

Monday  OWS swim

Tuesday OWS swim

Wednesday  organized bike time trial (I can skip this for this week)

Thursday  long run with kick at end

Friday  easy spin bike with some speed bursts (how long?)

Saturday  after good WU  20 min (20” sprint, 40” recovery repeats?)

Sunday   off

Monday    race day

Make Monday's swim long and run track on Tuesday. Wednesday I would still do a bike (intervals) by yourself. Forget the long run on Thursday, race week is not meant to have that kind of stress. Do a short (36') tempo or swim again. Friday stick with the plan and don't do anything else Saturday or Sunday.

Now, going back to Captex. Keep in mind that this is a hilly course, demanding at points and the heat is up. So, enjoy your share of pain if you decide for it!

2011-05-23 7:47 AM

User image

Master

Ernesto, 

Cheers,

Gabriel 

Congrats on a great race!

Edited by dangremond 2011-05-23 7:48 AM
2011-05-23 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3512922

User image

Regular

jdiis - 2011-05-22 10:33 PM

“I told my wife I was either finishing this race by going through the finish line, or on a stretcher,” Simpson said.

Spartaaaaaaaa! :-D

The quote reminded me of the 300 movie. But truly inspirational... its beyond words.

2011-05-23 8:08 AM

User image

Regular
Mexico

Ernesto, 

Cheers,

Gabriel 

Congratulations! You really flew Gabriel!, It seems that everyone here is keeping up with the hard work!

2011-05-23 10:38 AM

User image

Houston, Texas

Gabriel - congratulations on your race!  To match a PR (now that I know what that means ) while facing tougher terrain and heat challenges is something to be proud of!

Jackie - If I read your post correctly, you're still deciding whether to do the race - I hope you do!  You've been working so hard and I'd love for you to get some payoff.  We're all behind you, too!

Ernesto - If you don't mind, I'd like some advice as I head to the Tejas Sprint on June 5th.  This is the race that nearly made me quit triathlons entirely last year, so this year I'd like to come back with a vengeance and give it everything I've got.

Trouble is, my training routine is being entirely reconstructed with all the new information I've gotten, and I have some travel in between here and there.  So here is my plan, if you see anything that needs tweaking, please let me know:

M (today) - 1000 swim; 2 mi 'speed' run (which wasn't so speedy)

T - 30 min stationary bike (at 90rpm); strength training

W - 1000 swim; 45 min run at max HR

Th - M - Going to NYC here.  Plan on using gym facilities at hotel, but not sure if they will have an adequate lap pool.  running could be OK, but the whole schedule will be dependent on all the tourist and performance schedules my wife has.  Th & M will probably be nothing since those are travel days.

T - back to regular routine - 30 min stationary bike (at 90rpm); strength training

Th - 30 min stationary bike (at 90rpm); strength

That pretty much ends my opportunities for training, as my wife will be leaving through race day and I've got the kids (still working on a babysitter for the actual race - wish me luck).

So should I change anything from my regular days in preparation for the sprint, or should I stay the course on the longer focus of improving my aerobic base?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

2011-05-23 12:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Way to go Gabriel!!!!! That's is awesome!!!

As for me, I will start training again tomorrow.  I am still needing to read up on everyones posts.  

I signed up for a half marathon June 12th.  Not happy at how close it is but if I did the one at the end of June it would be in the blazing heat of Simi Valley....  I'll take the beach!  

This will be my longest road race ever.  I will run about 8 miles tomorrow and then on Wed just run an easy run with my kids and hit the pool in the afternoon.  Not sure what to do past that.Undecided  We will be moving July 8th.  I need to keep my training up so I can acclimate easier...Moving to Colorado.  I looked up that there are a few Sprints but My husband and I have our eyes set on an Ironman in June of 2012.  It is IM UK and I know there is a great deal of speculation as to whether or not it is even going to happen.  We will be watching close and have several backup plans just in case.  

So now I need to train to train........  My nutrition is still horrible! 

Question for all....  What do you guys drink during the day.  I'm trying to find something other than water without all the sugar!  Smile

jen

2011-05-23 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3514045

User image

Maple Grove, MN
jenputnam - 2011-05-23 12:56 PM

Question for all....  What do you guys drink during the day.  I'm trying to find something other than water without all the sugar!  Smile

jen

If you get sick of water, just adding a bit of any kind of juice to it makes it more interesting.  So I grab whatever is in the fridge - pomegranate juice (the 100% stuff), orange juice, even lemon juice - and pour about 3/4 of an inch into the glass and then fill the rest with water.   Natural and not too carby.  (The usual rule for me is that fruit is fine, and in fact good, but fruit juice is not.  But a little this way isn't a big deal.)

2011-05-23 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

As for me, I will start training again tomorrow.  I am still needing to read up on everyones posts.  

I signed up for a half marathon June 12th.  Not happy at how close it is but if I did the one at the end of June it would be in the blazing heat of Simi Valley....  I'll take the beach!  

This will be my longest road race ever.  I will run about 8 miles tomorrow and then on Wed just run an easy run with my kids and hit the pool in the afternoon.  Not sure what to do past that.Undecided  We will be moving July 8th.  I need to keep my training up so I can acclimate easier...Moving to Colorado.  I looked up that there are a few Sprints but My husband and I have our eyes set on an Ironman in June of 2012.  It is IM UK and I know there is a great deal of speculation as to whether or not it is even going to happen.  We will be watching close and have several backup plans just in case.  

jen

Looks like this IM thing is very contagious! Congratulations on having the guts to plan it already!!! As for the drink  - I second mixing water with fruit juice, for me it's even more water, but that depends on the juice. Also, I sometimes I drink a glass of water followed by few sips of juice, that way the taste remains, but you avoid sugar...

2011-05-23 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3513666

User image

Master
Dallas
mikjamlec - 2011-05-23 10:38 AM

Gabriel - congratulations on your race!  To match a PR (now that I know what that means ) while facing tougher terrain and heat challenges is something to be proud of!

Jackie - If I read your post correctly, you're still deciding whether to do the race - I hope you do!  You've been working so hard and I'd love for you to get some payoff.  We're all behind you, too!

Ernesto - If you don't mind, I'd like some advice as I head to the Tejas Sprint on June 5th.  This is the race that nearly made me quit triathlons entirely last year, so this year I'd like to come back with a vengeance and give it everything I've got.

Trouble is, my training routine is being entirely reconstructed with all the new information I've gotten, and I have some travel in between here and there.  So here is my plan, if you see anything that needs tweaking, please let me know:

M (today) - 1000 swim; 2 mi 'speed' run (which wasn't so speedy)

T - 30 min stationary bike (at 90rpm); strength training

Th - M - Going to NYC here.  Plan on using gym facilities at hotel, but not sure if they will have an adequate lap pool.  running could be OK, but the whole schedule will be dependent on all the tourist and performance schedules my wife has.  Th & M will probably be nothing since those are travel days.

T - back to regular routine - 30 min stationary bike (at 90rpm); strength training

Th - 30 min stationary bike (at 90rpm); strength

That pretty much ends my opportunities for training, as my wife will be leaving through race day and I've got the kids (still working on a babysitter for the actual race - wish me luck).

So should I change anything from my regular days in preparation for the sprint, or should I stay the course on the longer focus of improving my aerobic base?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I would give the new plan some time to settle in your body, and your feedback is CRUCIAL for decisions as well. I'd say let it pass, come back with a vengeance in some other race later, in cooler weather.

The plan you have is not bad though. Maybe the bike rides should be longer though.

2011-05-23 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Ernesto,

Need help in choosing a next race.  I would prefer to do one with at least a 600 yard OWS.

I read your report from last year on Captex.  Not sure I really want to do a sprint late in the day in the heat and on the hills.  I was thinking about the Danskin all-female sprint a week later in Austin, but the reviews on it aren't real good either.   I could go do Tejas in Sugarland with Mike on June 5 Wink

What would you suggest for me to do next and how soon?  The only thing I'm registered for is the US Toyota Olympic in Oct.  I will be in PA from June 24 - June 28 or 29.

2011-05-23 3:28 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

jen

Jen,

with a half so close you should pretty much shut down all the other training and focus on running. Maybe some swimming would be good for recovery though.

About IM, I would go for Florida or Arizona 2012 (which are at the end of the year, with all the summer fitness) and the venues are great. UK is at the end of July, very hard to race in the heat.

2011-05-23 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3514412

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Ok so the half is in my sites...now how do I train with it so close.  Like I said tomorrow will be 8miles and Wed  I am running with the kids although I can do my own workout in the am.  (My son just did a 5k 34:19 and my daughter did a 1k 5:39).  

The reason for the IM UK is my husband wants to do that one.  He completed Arizona already and had a DNF in France and Germany and DNF in another race. Arizona was his last one.  His best friend lives in England and will do it as well...  Guess I'm just getting pulled into the mix. His work will only allow time off in the summer (Military..  Aero Space instructor at the AF Academy).

2011-05-23 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3514591

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-05-23 5:11 PM

Ok so the half is in my sites...now how do I train with it so close.  Like I said tomorrow will be 8miles and Wed  I am running with the kids although I can do my own workout in the am.  (My son just did a 5k 34:19 and my daughter did a 1k 5:39).  

The reason for the IM UK is my husband wants to do that one.  He completed Arizona already and had a DNF in France and Germany and DNF in another race. Arizona was his last one.  His best friend lives in England and will do it as well...  Guess I'm just getting pulled into the mix. His work will only allow time off in the summer (Military..  Aero Space instructor at the AF Academy).

If your husband's doing UK don't get pulled into it. You'll be setting yourself up for a lot of stress. You have kids and IM training requires a lot of spousal support. Who will support who if you're both training? Something's gotta give and there's going to be a toll some way, somehow. Instead, let him do the UK and do AZ by yourself, by the time he's done you'll be starting with the heavy training and he'll be taking care of the house.

I know two households with Ironman couples and training time has to be negotiated and I think this is an important issue.

Now, about the half, what is your goal? You're gonna have to put something longer than eight miles before the race, maybe a twelve miler on the 29th and some other long run (about nine) the Sunday before the race. Three more runs will be needed but here's the big thing you will have to keep in mind: if it hurts, STOP. The peripheral runs should be shorter but focused on two things: threshold work (tempo) and speed (intervals).

2011-05-23 7:30 PM
in reply to: #3514401

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-05-23 3:25 PM

Ernesto,

Need help in choosing a next race.  I would prefer to do one with at least a 600 yard OWS.

I read your report from last year on Captex.  Not sure I really want to do a sprint late in the day in the heat and on the hills.  I was thinking about the Danskin all-female sprint a week later in Austin, but the reviews on it aren't real good either.   I could go do Tejas in Sugarland with Mike on June 5 Wink

What would you suggest for me to do next and how soon?  The only thing I'm registered for is the US Toyota Olympic in Oct.  I will be in PA from June 24 - June 28 or 29.

Do the Metroplex Super Sprint here in Dallas, only 500yd swim, 11mi bike (flat and fast) and a two mile run. Did it last year and it was FUN.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84